1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

Re: 1190: "Why Hello There"

Postby thunk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 pm UTC

Nice to see you in the present, Rakhal.

Papal decree: Get out and do something important--no matter how small it may be. Report on your accomplishments in the OTT.
Last edited by thunk on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:42 am UTC

Current OtherComic.

During my travels that concluded a few newpix back, I had to use two airraftcastles. The first one followed the First Commandment for a little longer than expected, so that I feared I had to follow the First Commandment myself for at least half a dip at the exchange place. But thanks to combined commandment-following efforts of the second airraftcastle (First Commandment) and myself (Third Commandment), I made it in Time.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:47 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:But thanks to combined commandment-following efforts of the second airraftcastle (First Commandment) and myself (Third Commandment), I made it in Time.
So that is what the middle commandment is for! It's the dots that connect you with your destination!

I have been enlightened!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:20 am UTC

Cyan is more of an anticolor; it needs to be combined with other anticolors to nullify their antiproperty and produce a color... Except when you combine them all, in which case their antiproperty is magnified and all color is rendered null.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:15 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:But thanks to combined commandment-following efforts of the second airraftcastle (First Commandment) and myself (Third Commandment), I made it in Time.
So that is what the middle commandment is for! It's the dots that connect you with your destination!

I have been enlightened!

Jose

I don't know about enlightenment as it was dark outside, but I can confirm I had to alight pretty quickly after the airraftcastle alighted in order to align my connection.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:30 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I don't know about enlightenment as it was dark outside, but I can confirm I had to alight pretty quickly after the airraftcastle alighted in order to align my connection.
Well, the speed of dark is very fast. I am a bit concerned, because if you alight in the dark, doesn't the light and dark cancel out and leave you with... uh... what? Cyan? I'd be careful; it looks deadly.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 am UTC

Cyan is what happens when the light loses its redness. This can only happen because the light has been bleeding, which means that keyboards must be about! Beware Lucky!

--Rakhal

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I don't know about enlightenment as it was dark outside

Is that a chainsaw I hear in the distance?

I was woken up by a couple of them yesterdip, which was rather unmolpish, but for the best as they were cutting back a tree which was attempting to teach my roof tiles about gravity whenever it got windy.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:I don't know about enlightenment as it was dark outside, but I can confirm I had to alight pretty quickly after the airraftcastle alighted in order to align my connection.
Well, the speed of dark is very fast. I am a bit concerned, because if you alight in the dark, doesn't the light and dark cancel out and leave you with... uh... what? Cyan? I'd be careful; it looks deadly.

Jose

Cyan is dangerous indeed; they make cyanide out of it, in great factories full of lightbulbs and bottomless pits where the light and dark cancel out. (And then certain people go and carelessly use that color for bioluminescence!)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

macraw83

Re: But not just any words. There are some rules limiting your choice.

Postby macraw83 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:When I'm in the moonbase I have to use the internal IP address of the bicyclesonthemoon.info server. When I'm outside I have to use the external one.
Is there a reason for needing to use the internal IP while in the moonbase, other than performance benefits?

taixzo wrote:Today the OTT escaped into my dream.

This morning, my alarm went off. I woke up somewhat, still half-dreaming. I came to the conclusion that my object generator was set to generate alarm clocks, and that therefore there would be twenty or thirty of them going off in the next few minutes. So I turned that one off and went back to sleep.

I then woke an hour later, running late and reminding myself that I did not, in fact, possess an alarm clock generator.
That has happened to me a few times, both RELATED dreams and my subconscious convincing itself that it's ok to turn off the alarms. Just not both at the same time. There's a reason that I now have 3 alarms set, just in case, though I rarely need more than 2.

Rakhal wrote:And with that, I stumble out of the past and into the present! I have read it all, and my mind is full of Time

--Rakhal
Wowterful! Welcome to the Present, Rakhal! I do hope you stick around!

ucim wrote:

Jose
:azule:
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

Jose, I loved your earth-shadow picture - I am surprised how obvious the effect is....

taixzo wrote:Today the OTT escaped into my dream.

This morning, my alarm went off. I woke up somewhat, still half-dreaming. I came to the conclusion that my object generator was set to generate alarm clocks, and that therefore there would be twenty or thirty of them going off in the next few minutes. So I turned that one off and went back to sleep.

I then woke an hour later, running late and reminding myself that I did not, in fact, possess an alarm clock generator.
Brilliant!

Thank you, addams, for links both artistic and enlightening, and for leading me to marvel at Tim Curry yet again.

Balthasar... what are you up to? Who's got eyes on balthasar?

GnomeAnne wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.
Unless the thread is this one, then it's guaranteed to work and have tech support as well.
Yes! Treeish, but sometimes scary. :)

macraw83 wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose
:azul:
FTFY
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: But not just any words. There are some rules limiting your choice.

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Is there a reason for needing to use the internal IP while in the moonbase, other than performance benefits?

Yes.
An example: I want to look at http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/.

When outside:
My computer asks a DNS server where 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info is. The server replies with an IP address which is the current address of the moonbase, or more precisely the external address of the router connecting the moonbase to the internet (currently 83.29.66.162). My browser connects to 83.29.66.162, port 80. The router sees an incoming connection on the external interface. It has a rule to redirect everything on port 80 to 192.168.1.3 which is the botcastle1's address in the moonbase's local network. The router redirects this to the botcastle1. Success, I can see the website!

When inside:
My computer asks a DNS server where 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info is. The server replies with an IP address which is the current address of the moonbase, or more precisely the external address of the router connecting the moonbase to the internet (currently 83.29.66.162). My browser connects to 83.29.66.162, port 80. The router sees an incoming connection on the internal interface. It does redirection only on external connections. So it's treated as a connection to the router. Instead of the website I see the router's configuration interface.

When inside but with modified /etc/hosts file:
My computer doesn't ask any DNS server where bicyclesonthemoon.info is. It already knows that the address is 192.168.1.3. My browser connects to 192.168.1.3, port 80. Success, I can see the website!

Of course, I can set up the botcastle to be the DHCP and DNS server of its local network. Then no such tricks are necessary.
But there are some other reasons why I don't want to do it.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:24 am UTC

I made a one candle power heater.
And; It Works!

The Recipe:
Spoiler:
A lit candle is placed in a container.
On a metal rack is recommended to allow airflow.
I don't have a rack. I used rocks. Seems to work.

A small clay pot is placed upside down over the candle.
Then a second larger clay pot is placed over the first pot.
I used more rocks on top to absorb and to radiate heat.

One candle warms the clay and radiates the warmth.
It Works!! It takes the chill off of a small cold room.
Last week the East Coast got wind.
This week the West Coast will get wind.
It is 'normal' fall weather.
Spoiler:
Winds: south 40 to 50 mph with gusts to 60 mph.
Headlands and exposed areas along the immediate coast will see gusts 60 to 80 mph.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Custard in Mustard Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 am UTC

Epsilon coincidence: just started blitzing an otherneedlepulledthing in an otherforum as I hadn't read it all mip. And the first new page I reached was https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads ... 9/page-202 which starts with the word Blitz!
ZoomanSP wrote:Current OtherComic.

During my travels that concluded a few newpix back, I had to use two airraftcastles. The first one followed the First Commandment for a little longer than expected, so that I feared I had to follow the First Commandment myself for at least half a dip at the exchange place. But thanks to combined commandment-following efforts of the second airraftcastle (First Commandment) and myself (Third Commandment), I made it in Time.

Reminds me of my trip (with StromAngle) to OTTerCon!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 am UTC

azule wrote:Yeah, I learned more about how like the Chinese don't distinguish between blue and green, and how the Russians distinguish between light blue and dark blue. Also, people think cyan is blue....it's not. LOL. I had never even heard of cyan until I learned about printers using CMYK. So, yes, that part is complicated, not even to consider colorblind and partially colorblind societies. I'm not going to say that I'm colorblind but I do have problems distinguishing blue and green (the ones close to the others), but that's often linguistical, in my mind. Thinking about it for a moment I can better determine which color category it falls in.
Uh-oh, you took the cyan pill? You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take The Misogyny Kool-Aid—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. You take the cyan pill - and red, blue and yellow cease to be "the primary colours", and you dread the day your kid comes home from school having been taught that.

I really do think you'd enjoy Guy Deutscher's Through the Language Glass. Be warned that Steven Pinker takes a few shots at it - he seems to think it's mostly cheap Whorfian parlour tricks - but it is fun. Besides links between language and colour perception, he talks about cultures with other orientation norms - think seaward/mountainward instead of left/right - and the byproducts of gendered articles.

Yay! ED survived his weather too!

Ooh - I must try this candle heater someday. I like candles. I like heat.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Ooh - I must try this candle heater someday. I like candles. I like heat.

Beware the scented candle!
The odor becomes concentrated!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm UTC

addams wrote:Beware the scented candle!
Some yips in the beforeTime, we received a gift of a scented candle from a friend who likes scented things. We never lit it - even unlit the odor was intense enough to fill the room, the three adjacent rooms, and the house across the street. We put it in a leftover lidded pail that once contained pool chlorine, and a year later it was still pretty intense. I don't know where it is now, but that pail is under strict quarantine.

She likes scented soaps too; there's a particular brand that comes from England and at the time could only be gotten there. Way long ago we went to England and got her some of those soaps...

Oh. My. God.

I couldn't even enter the store.

I don't know how we even got them through the border. They were sealed up as best we could with multiple layers of whatever we could find to keep the stench in... I have blocked the memory of what happened to the clothes in that suitcase.

Jose

addams

Postby addams » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 am UTC

You have good stories, Jose.

You understand what I was greeted with.
The one candle power heater Works.

But, I could not enjoy the warm.
(gack) I could not breath!

....Waiting.
I am waiting.

This is the calm before the storm.
At the moment, there is no weather.

Looking across the clearing into the forest...
no shadows, no breeze, not one leaf moves.

I'll wait.
Spoiler:
EDIT: oooOOOooo....
The wind is beginning to move.
Here comes the storm. (do-do-do.)
Spoiler:
To the tune of, 'Here Comes the Sun'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh298ITCHm8
Last edited by addams on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 am UTC

When I came across this video I thought of the candle heater, Balthasar's lunar sandworks, and the Beanies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XS4aueDUg

It's in Spanish with English subtitles. I'm more familiar with the Dominican Republic than Cuba, but I can say from personal experience that there is great ingenuity down there!

Jose

addams

Postby addams » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:37 am UTC

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

What the people did when faced with sanctions might turn into a serious conversation.
I have heard and read stories about the courage and intelligence exhibited by people.

Oh! Oh! I know a Joke!
Spoiler:
In Cuba the people fix up old American cars.
Some of those old cars are works of Art.

The people are always on the 'look-out' for parts.

One man was searching for a 710 cover.
He poured over treasured old manuals.

He had everyone he knew looking for a 710 cover.
Punchline:
Spoiler:
His friend said, "Turn it over, (cuban name)!
He was looking for an OIL Cap.

..tee-hee. (shrug) I laughed.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:32 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Some yips in the beforeTime, we received a gift of a scented candle from a friend who likes scented things. We never lit it - even unlit the odor was intense enough to fill the room, the three adjacent rooms, and the house across the street. We put it in a leftover lidded pail that once contained pool chlorine, and a year later it was still pretty intense. I don't know where it is now, but that pail is under strict quarantine.
Jose

I've got one of those candles under quarantine too. Given to me as a christmas present it was in my living room for a short while until the relative that had given it to me had gone home, then it was relegated to the shed :)

My parents had a similar problem with a cheese they bought in France. They put it in the overhead storage compartment in the plane. On the flight the aroma spread.... they kept very quiet...

--Rakhal

addams

Postby addams » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:50 pm UTC

Rakhal wrote:
ucim wrote:
Jose

I've got one of those candles under quarantine too. Given to me as a christmas present it was in my living room for a short while until the relative that had given it to me had gone home, then it was relegated to the shed :)

My parents had a similar problem with a cheese they bought in France.
They put it in the overhead storage compartment in the plane.

On the flight the aroma spread....
they kept very quiet...

--Rakhal

(gee.) Food?
I was told, 'They', American Homeland Security, and everyone else, prohibits transport of Food.
Because, 'They' are trying to keep invasive species of life forms out of EveryWhere!

Of course! Processed food, like cheese, is exempt from prohibition.
Processed food is safe for amateur international transport. (right?)

Speaking of International transport...
The first storm of the season is moving onshore.

The winds are coming from International Waters.
The Locals are very excited about this one.

I wonder 'Why?'
Stormy Weather Musings ...(dull)
Spoiler:
One man said to me, "The forecast is for record breaking gusts."
That man said the words, Columbus Day Storm, to me.

(He had it coming.
He asked for it.
He scared me!)

I begged him to help me 'Tape' my windows.
He did not want to help. I insisted.(shame on me)

I told him, "If that window breaks...!"
"The weather inside will be worse than the weather outside!"

Columbus Day Storm?!
I think 'Tapeing' helps. Do you?

I've seen these windows bow under the pressure of the wind.
I have not seen record breaking winds hit these windows.

If a Columbus Day Storm! comes,
I will not be able to communicate with you.
Because, I will not have electricity.

My box is an 'All Electric' box from the 'hay days' of unbridled hydroelectric development.

That gets to be a very complicated subject.
https://www.nwcouncil.org/history/Chronology
Even if power were 'free', remote infrastructure tends to collapse.

AHH!! I googled Columbus Day Storm!
That man may have gotten his 'news' from the Internet.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... m-of-1962/
Warning of the storm was little to nonexistent due to the technology of the day.

The storms on the East Coast get more attention, because they are prettier from outer space.
And; The storms on the East Coast get more attention, because they tend to be better organized.

(Get with the program, Storm!
two little northern low pressure areas??
You Can Do Better!)

(gee) Maybe, we, on the West Coast will have a 'near-miss' like they, on the East Coast did.
Here is a link that gives the 'blow-by-blow of the cloud layer.
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/disp ... C_SCALE=15

What I see is the usual onshore breeze moving like a locomotive (Choo!-Choo!)

That is the Pacific Express! Here she comes! (Choo!-Choo!)
She is five hundred miles wide and two thousand miles long.

An old Jonny Cash Song about a different kind of train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZiQ89_s67Q

Her job is to equalize the temperature and pressure gradients.
She'll do the job by transporting water and air;And; Loads of it!

Yesterday, not one leaf moved.
Today, not one leaf is unmoved.

Mark Twain wrote,
"Everyone talks about the Weather."
"No one ever Does anything about it."

His was a more innocent Time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:54 am UTC

In the NP 2525
if Megan and Cueball are still alive
if molpy and rabtor can survive, oooohh

Just couldn't let the opportunity slip by.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

The royal court, of course, was Furiously Doodling, as the evening's fireworks had been prepared for the celebration of the King's *victory*, not of his absence, but they had to comply. Only after breakfast the

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

Late to the party (as usual :oops: ), but welcome forward, Rakhal ! Congratulations on completing your Blitz !
I'll have to actually bake some time-themed scones at some point...

addams wrote:Oh! Oh! I know a Joke!
Spoiler:
In Cuba the people fix up old American cars.
Some of those old cars are works of Art.

The people are always on the 'look-out' for parts.

One man was searching for a 710 cover.
He poured over treasured old manuals.

He had everyone he knew looking for a 710 cover.
Punchline:
Spoiler:
His friend said, "Turn it over, (cuban name)!
He was looking for an OIL Cap.

..tee-hee. (shrug) I laughed.
I like that joke. Thank you for reminding me of it.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

Just a quickie to say that JuneBug says hi and misses the OTT. Zanclean Outside, but soon to abate. :)

Jose

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

Are the zombies picking up as Halloween approaches? Poor lmjb.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Phantom Time"

Postby thunk » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:04 am UTC

ucim wrote:Just a quickie to say that JuneBug says hi and misses the OTT. Zanclean Outside, but soon to abate. :)

Jose

Same here. Though I'm taking a breather now as the zanclean-ness will come back next week.
I should be careful about Link's advice, though so far, all my classes are going molpishly.

Addams: Agricultural pests are a serious problem! So it's understandable, if annoying. A lot of other countries are even more paranoid about it--though probably not to the point of banning gardens.
Now, why doesn't 'murica understand the concept of "in transit"? Forcing bag checks on people just going through is a tad ridiculous.
troo dat

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:44 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Now, why doesn't 'murica understand the concept of "in transit"? Forcing bag checks on people just going through is a tad ridiculous.

A friend of mine was flying from India to America, through Germany. But there were two stops in Germany. Germany required visas.

Hope everyone experiencing the non-hurricane hurricane is faring well.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
thunk wrote:Now, why doesn't 'murica understand the concept of "in transit"? Forcing bag checks on people just going through is a tad ridiculous.

A friend of mine was flying from India to America, through Germany. But there were two stops in Germany. Germany required visas.

Hope everyone experiencing the non-hurricane hurricane is faring well.

Yes, but in my experience going through the Schengen zone to a non-Schengen country, they didn't require you to pick up your bags and pass through a customs inspection--that's usually reserved for final entry.

Transit visas are a different matter, and relatively commonplace.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Hope everyone experiencing the non-hurricane hurricane is faring well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLkqtWEgdEI
It is a very blustery day, ..outside.

It is not a hurricane.
It is a cloud train.
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/disp ... C_SCALE=15
(Choo!-Choo!)

The wind whistles and howls.
The lights flicker and dim.

Water flowing over window panes transforms the world.
The world, out there, has become an impressionists watercolor.

I'm fine. For me, it is ok. (brrr.)
I have a cozy warm computer and a blanket.

dull chatter about the weather.
Spoiler:
After the storm subsides,
the waves will come ashore.

The sky will be blue.
The suns rays will be yellow and warm.

The waves created by the storm, out in deep open water, will charge onto shore.
When those waves hit basalt cliffs, they 'Boom!' and send salt water spray up high.

This is normal fall and spring weather.

uh-oh...
Spoiler:
It may be 'normal'.
I don't have to like it.

My water comes from a Spring.
I think there has been a little mud washed into the Spring.
(yuck)
Edit: And...It is all over.

Another Edit: Storm Damage.
(shrug) not much to tell.

My neighbor used a chainsaw to cut the trees that had fallen across the road.
A pair of Blue Jays were blown in. The poor things are lost and disorientated.
Spoiler:
I will do everything I can do to help them return to their home territory.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+ja ... VZO3NvM%3A

That is a lovely bird to gaze upon.
He has a loud and grating voice.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Overloading"

Postby thunk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:38 am UTC

addams wrote:Another Edit: Storm Damage.
(shrug) not much to tell.

My neighbor used a chainsaw to cut the trees that had fallen across the road.
A pair of Blue Jays were blown in. The poor things are lost and disorientated.
Spoiler:
I will do everything I can do to help them return to their home territory.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+ja ... VZO3NvM%3A

That is a lovely bird to gaze upon.
He has a loud and grating voice.

Great to hear you're safe: but poor borbs!
troo dat

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

Waaay to much OutsideH. It's nice to relax for a minip in the OTT.
Also, new OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:52 am UTC

Acts of the Clerics
chapter 55, verses 1-63

[1]And so it was that in the Third Yip After Time, on the third dix of Voyage, did Rakhal complete the Most Holy Quest of Blitzing the Entirety of the One True Thread, which in seaishness did amount to One Hundred Thousand Nine Hundred Forty Seven posts, and enter Gloriously into the Present. [2]The Gospel of Rakhal had preceded xir, begetting much anticipation and much Waiting For It, and it was Molpish to the Highest Degree. [3]By Ram's Horn and by Shoe was spread the news of xir arrival, and the People did gather from places Near and Far and Wide to welcome xir into the OTTish Fold. [4]And great were the multitudes in the gathering. [5]From horizon to horizon there could not be seen any space that was not filled with the multitudes, for this was a dix of Glorious Celebration. [6]The Clerecy gathered in the Great Cathedral in preparation for the Grand Procession. [8]First in the procession was First Cleric. [9]He was followed by Second Scribe, who was followed by the third Herald. [10]Fifth Cleric followed next, and then the eighth Herald, and thirteenth Cleric, after which... [11]Skip on a bit, brother.
Spoiler:
[12]And it came to pass that the doors of the Great Cathedral were opened, and with the nod of the Mighty Troubador yappobiscuts, the Crystal Organ and the Cathedral Orchestra began to play. [13]Wingishly did the Choir of Raft People sing the Smopu Hvala as the procession wended its way to the outdoor stage. [14]The BlitzGirls, one by one, filled the back row of the platform, until it was filled. [15]And lo, every BlitzGirl was there, and there was not a one who was canonized a BlitzGirl who was not there. [16]For the BlitzGirls that had been missing had verily been rescued by First Cleric and brought back upon a Mighty Engine. [17]Yea, even BlitzGirl, the first BlitzGirl, who is BlitzGirl the First, had been brought upon this Mighty Engine, which still rested on the stage. [18]And it gleamed in the sunlight, inviting First Cleric to once again master it, but this dix, that was not to be. [19]This was a dix of celebration, not of conquest, and it was not of First Cleric, but of Rakhal, who would soon join the Holy and Esteemed ranks at the back of the stage. [20]And at the back of the stage among the BlitzGirls was an empty seat, itself following the First and Greatest Commandment. [21]Its Time would come, in its own Time. [22]And verily, it was Time. [23]The Smopu Hvala ended, and in the silence, the First Commandment was strong. [24]There were heralds abiding at the highest places, and they were in number three. [25]Three was the number of the heralds. [26]There were not two heralds stationed, neither were there four. [27]At the appointed Time, the first herald, who was the Third Herald, sounded the ram's horn from the minaret of the Great Cathedral itself, and it was heard throughout the land. [28]Hearing this, the second herald, who was the Seventh Herald, placed the ram's horn to her own lips, and sounded the call. [29]She was at the back of the Seminary, on the highest hill, and the call went out to all the land. [30]The third herald, who was the First Herald, was upon the cliff above the Grotto, overlooking the Seminary. [31]At the second sounding of the ram's horn, this herald completed the call with his own horn, that the whole world would know that there is Great News. [32]And thus, three times did sound the ram's horn. [33]Not two, neither four, but rather, three. [34]When three, being the third number, became the number of the soundings of the ram's horn, then did The Pope arise, his golden robes radiating the Splendor of this solemn occasion. [35]Great was the anticipation of the crowd, for they knew what was to transpire, but knowing it, yet they knew it not. [36]The Pope then approached the podium, and upon reaching it, spake thus. [37]And although he spake softly, yet his words rang out and carried from horizon to horizon, because those are the ways of The Pope. [38]And verily spake he these words:

[39]"Many yips ago, at the beginning of Time, there was naught but one frame, the First True Frame. [40]It is lost to Time, for we of riverish nature comprehended it not. [41]But as the river feeds the sea, so too does the seaish feed the riverish, and we were blessed with Newpix in number greater than three thousand. [42]Newpix begat Newpix, and from the multitudes came NewPages. [43]And the NewPages continued seaishly while the Newpix came down from Heaven. [44]And it came to pass that there were no more Newpix. [45]But so Baobab were the Newpix that the NewPages begat NewNewpix, and there was Time After Time, in multitudes of forms, for The Great Lord Randall, who hath breathed life into Newpix, hath caused the Newpix to breathe life into the NewPages. [46]And the NewPages became a thing unto themselves. [47]The Cuegan live in the Newpix, but our Home is the NewPages. [48]As it honors the Greatness of the One True Author, we welcome NewPeople into our NewPages, that they be enriched, enlightened, encouraged, entertained, and enter into the Special Place we have been privileged to inhabit. [49]Many NewPeople become OTTers, and find a home here. [50]Some however are called more deeply, for they feel a void deep within themselves, which can only be filled by experiencing all of Time, and doing so in its own Time. [51]There is only one answer to this call: The Quest. [52]It is fraught with danger, peril, hazardous danger, risky hazard, perilous peril, and many other less-than-safe possibilities. [53]However, this is the path that Rakhal has chosen. [54]And xe has surmonted these challenges and made it to our Present. [55]Rakhal, arise and kneel!"

[56]And with these words did Rakhal, distinguished by xir backpack and cream fedora, arise from the crowd, make xir way to the podium, and kneel before The Pope. [57]The Pope placed his hand over Rakhal and continued, speaking thus: [58]

"Rakhal, you have truly Waited For It as it was meant to be, experiencing Time in its own time, and keeping faith in the NewPages long after the NewPix had come to an end.
[59]Therefore, in honor of the Sacred and seaishly seaish Pilgrimage in which you set out almost a full yip prior, and in recognition of its awesomeful completion, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do I consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next. [60]And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of Rakhal, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl and the other Holy Books, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time. [61]Come now, and take your rightful place among all the BlitzGirls, that we all be inspired and enlightened, and that you be counted among those that risked everything, in order to experience everything as it was ordained."

[62]The cheering was like unto the sea, and even the ground itself rocked with the joyous celebration that was to begin. [63]And The Pope did grin, and the people did feast upon the grapes, and ice cream, and facebugs, and cupcakes, and chocolates, and molpies (but not the cute ones), and long pints, and molpyberry wine, and [buffer overflow]
Jose

[<-- previous (NP 2513) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | (NP 2549) next -->
Last edited by ucim on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Acts of the Clerics
chapter 55, verses 1-63
Spoiler:
[1]And so it was that in the Third Yip After Time, on the third dix of Voyage, did Rakhal complete the Most Holy Quest of Blitzing the Entirety of the One True Thread, which in seaishness did amount to One Hundred Thousand Nine Hundred Forty Seven posts, and enter Gloriously into the Present. [2]The Gospel of Rakhal had preceded xir, begetting much anticipation and much Waiting For It, and it was Molpish to the Highest Degree. [3]By Ram's Horn and by Shoe was spread the news of xir arrival, and the People did gather from places Near and Far and Wide to welcome xir into the OTTish Fold. [4]And great were the multitudes in the gathering. [5]From horizon to horizon there could not be seen any space that was not filled with the multitudes, for this was a dix of Glorious Celebration. [6]The Clerecy gathered in the Great Cathedral in preparation for the Grand Procession. [8]First in the procession was First Cleric. [9]He was followed by Second Scribe, who was followed by the third Herald. [10]Fifth Cleric followed next, and then the eighth Herald, and thirteenth Cleric, after which... [11]Skip on a bit, brother. [12]And it came to pass that the doors of the Great Cathedral were opened, and with the nod of the Mighty Troubador yappobiscuts, the Crystal Organ and the Cathedral Orchestra began to play. [13]Wingishly did the Choir of Raft People sing the Smopu Hvala as the procession wended its way to the outdoor stage. [14]The BlitzGirls, one by one, filled the back row of the platform, until it was filled. [15]And lo, every BlitzGirl was there, and there was not a one who was canonized a BlitzGirl who was not there. [16]For the BlitzGirls that had been missing had verily been rescued by First Cleric and brought back upon a Mighty Engine. [17]Yea, even BlitzGirl, the first BlitzGirl, who is BlitzGirl the First, had been brought upon this Mighty Engine, which still rested on the stage. [18]And it gleamed in the sunlight, inviting First Cleric to once again master it, but this dix, that was not to be. [19]This was a dix of celebration, not of conquest, and it was not of First Cleric, but of Rakhal, who would soon join the Holy and Esteemed ranks at the back of the stage. [20]And at the back of the stage among the BlitzGirls was an empty seat, itself following the First and Greatest Commandment. [21]Its Time would come, in its own Time. [22]And verily, it was Time. [23]The Smopu Hvala ended, and in the silence, the First Commandment was strong. [24]There were heralds abiding at the highest places, and they were in number three. [25]Three was the number of the heralds. [26]There were not two heralds stationed, neither were there four. [27]At the appointed Time, the first herald, who was the Third Herald, sounded the ram's horn from the minaret of the Great Cathedral itself, and it was heard throughout the land. [28]Hearing this, the second herald, who was the Seventh Herald, placed the ram's horn to her own lips, and sounded the call. [29]She was at the back of the Seminary, on the highest hill, and the call went out to all the land. [30]The third herald, who was the First Herald, was upon the cliff above the Grotto, overlooking the Seminary. [31]At the second sounding of the ram's horn, this herald completed the call with his own horn, that the whole world would know that there is Great News. [32]And thus, three times did sound the ram's horn. [33]Not two, neither four, but rather, three. [34]When three, being the third number, became the number of the soundings of the ram's horn, then did The Pope arise, his golden robes radiating the Splendor of this solemn occasion. [35]Great was the anticipation of the crowd, for they knew what was to transpire, but knowing it, yet they knew it not. [36]The Pope then approached the podium, and upon reaching it, spake thus. [37]And although he spake softly, yet his words rang out and carried from horizon to horizon, because those are the ways of The Pope. [38]And verily spake he these words:

[39]"Many yips ago, at the beginning of Time, there was naught but one frame, the First True Frame. [40]It is lost to Time, for we of riverish nature comprehended it not. [41]But as the river feeds the sea, so too does the seaish feed the riverish, and we were blessed with Newpix in number greater than three thousand. [42]Newpix begat Newpix, and from the multitudes came NewPages. [43]And the NewPages continued seaishly while the Newpix came down from Heaven. [44]And it came to pass that there were no more Newpix. [45]But so Baobab were the Newpix that the NewPages begat NewNewpix, and there was Time After Time, in multitudes of forms, for The Great Lord Randall, who hath breathed life into Newpix, hath caused the Newpix to breathe life into the NewPages. [46]And the NewPages became a thing unto themselves. [47]The Cuegan live in the Newpix, but our Home is the NewPages. [48]As it honors the Greatness of the One True Author, we welcome NewPeople into our NewPages, that they be enriched, enlightened, encouraged, entertained, and enter into the Special Place we have been privileged to inhabit. [49]Many NewPeople become OTTers, and find a home here. [50]Some however are called more deeply, for they feel a void deep within themselves, which can only be filled by experiencing all of Time, and doing so in its own Time. [51]There is only one answer to this call: The Quest. [52]It is fraught with danger, peril, hazardous danger, risky hazard, perilous peril, and many other less-than-safe possibilities. [53]However, this is the path that Rakhal has chosen. [54]And xe has surmonted these challenges and made it to our Present. [55]Rakhal, arise and kneel!"

[56]And with these words did Rakhal, distinguished by xir backpack and cream fedora, arise from the crowd, make xir way to the podium, and kneel before The Pope. [57]The Pope placed his hand over Rakhal and continued, speaking thus: [58]

"Rakhal, you have truly Waited For It as it was meant to be, experiencing Time in its own time, and keeping faith in the NewPages long after the NewPix had come to an end.
[59]Therefore, in honor of the Sacred and seaishly seaish Pilgrimage in which you set out almost a full yip prior, and in recognition of its awesomeful completion, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do I consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next. [60]And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of Rakhal, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl and the other Holy Books, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time. [61]Come now, and take your rightful place among all the BlitzGirls, that we all be inspired and enlightened, and that you be counted among those that risked everything, in order to experience everything as it was ordained."

[62]The cheering was like unto the sea, and even the ground itself rocked with the joyous celebration that was to begin.
[63]And The Pope did grin, and the people did feast upon the grapes, and ice cream, and facebugs, and cupcakes, and chocolates, and molpies (but not the cute ones), and long pints, and molpyberry wine, and [buffert overflow]

FTFYA

Awesomeful as ever! :)

A: Ni ni ni ni apocryphal scripture text
Wait on.

Spoiler:

thunk

Re: 1190: "Brunch Time"

Postby thunk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:45 am UTC

[buffer overflow]

oops.
In 100 yips, the "Buffet Acts" will become one of the special collector's editions, clearly.
troo dat

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH PONY SPAAACE WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:26 am UTC

On NP 2525...

Is that a AotC I see? Woot! Alas, I must coma, but I had to stop in and say hello. Hello! It feels like I've been gone for mips. :(

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:21 am UTC

Yay, I feel honoured to be part of AoTC! A wonderful ceremony and I hope I can uphold the honour of the Blitzgirlen

(places his copy of the gospel in an ornate bookholder..)

<returns to using tactical nukes to kill coyopies...>

--Rakhal

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”