0005: "Blown Apart"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rhombix

0005: "Blown Apart"

Postby Rhombix » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Alt: Blown into prime factors

A great little mathbook doodle, and of the first xkcd comics I read.

sje46

Re: "Blown Apart" discussion

Postby sje46 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 am UTC

I'm glad that Randall doesn't explain his comics in the alt-text anymore and makes jokes instead.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 am UTC

You could argue that Internet Argument is one where the title-text explains the comic, although really I think it's more reinforcing the message of the comic than explaining it as such. Finish Line also strikes me as one where the title-text is fairly explanatory in nature.

But anything's better than the title-text for Startled.

Incidentally, I've decided to use "title-text" as the canonical identifier, since that's what Randall called it in xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel. But hey, that's just me. And Randall. :)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:38 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:Incidentally, I've decided to use "title-text" as the canonical identifier, since that's what Randall called it in xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel. But hey, that's just me. And Randall. :)

And, you know, the tag. Since it's in the "title" attribute of the "img" tag. (Which is why "alt text" is not exactly right; that would be something different. Browsers generally don't provide easy access to that any more.)

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:22 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
scarletmanuka wrote:Incidentally, I've decided to use "title-text" as the canonical identifier, since that's what Randall called it in xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel. But hey, that's just me. And Randall. :)

And, you know, the tag. Since it's in the "title" attribute of the "img" tag. (Which is why "alt text" is not exactly right; that would be something different. Browsers generally don't provide easy access to that any more.)

Yes, I realise that, but that has never seemed to be a decisive point before. But now it's official! Which was basically what I was trying to say.

Monox D. I-Fly

0005: "Blown apart"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:05 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/5/
Reading the comics from the very beginning. Is this the first funny one?
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

airdrik

Re: 0005: "Blown apart"

Postby airdrik » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

I think most of these first several "comics" are (based on) sketches that he'd done growing up before he started xkcd, and are imho decidedly more imaginative (and surreal).
Certainly not all of his comics are intended to be funny or make the reader laugh, especially his first initial efforts. In general I think his efforts try to focus more on making you think and bringing to light the reality that many of us live but have a hard time expressing or relating than on being funny.

TvT Rivals

Re: 0005: "Blown apart"

Postby TvT Rivals » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:49 am UTC

He certainly knows his nerd humor.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”