RimFortress! DwarfWorld!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Wonderbolt

RimFortress! DwarfWorld!

Postby Wonderbolt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:37 am UTC

Sooooo... RimWorld. Who plays? I've gotten back into it after leaving it for a month or so, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot again. The random events can still feel a little too arbitrary along the lines of "you rolled a one and now we're just going to take half your colony away", but other than that it's quite good so far imo. :)

CorruptUser

Re: RimFortress! DwarfWorld!

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:37 am UTC

I have it on my steam wishlist, planning to get when it goes on sale and something else interesting doesn't grab my attention first. Does it ever go on sale? Some games like Factorio never go on sale.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:10 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I have it on my steam wishlist, planning to get when it goes on sale and something else interesting doesn't grab my attention first. Does it ever go on sale? Some games like Factorio never go on sale.

I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell if it does, I *think* I got it when it was on sale, but not sure how to check.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

It's on my wishlist so I get an email if it's on sale, but I don't know if it will ever be on sale.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Got it for full price. A bit pricey for what it is, but so far I'm enjoying it.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

So... yeah, I've been save scumming unfortunately. At least until I get mortars and turrets set up. Otherwise the game tends to do stuff like only let me capture crappier prisoners with massive health problems and so forth. Been doing the third storyteller, so it's more like DF, but mostly so I don't have a colonist cap.

What I do find annoying is that men totally suck socially. 20 year old female and 3 male colonists age 40+ won't stop constantly hitting on her, getting constant mood debuffs. You'd think they'd learn not to constantly harass her, but nooo. Even if she's married, they still wouldn't stop. I'd like something where the odds of them initiating would go down if they've been rejected in the past week, or at least something where the spouse gets in a fight with them. The colonists don't have actual personalities, just "asshole" attributes.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:03 pm UTC

I forget the details, but yeah, the relationship model for men and women is explicitly different, by designer fiat. It's really quite frustrating.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 am UTC

Sniper rifles are OP, with only one real drawback; terrible at capturing anyone unless you like giving them peg legs.

Well, mechanoids and insects keep trying to colonize my map. The millipede thing is supposedly resistant to bullets, but moves so slow that snipers can just outrun it anyway...

Moonythedwarf

Postby Moonythedwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:38 pm UTC

I liked it, and played a bit (only a few hours sadly, i prefer Dwarf Fortress more). I've cobbled together a few things and may post pictures.

But here's a comparison:

Dwarf Fortress has the following Rimworld doesnt:
3D world.
Tag based modibility (rimworld's modding is more powerful, most of the time).
A (3rd party) dedicated memory editor and utility.
Adventure mode (Roguelike mode).
Mechanical energy (Opposed to Rimworld's electric energy, which is also used more ingame in rimworld than it is in DF (usually))
Procedural world history
Dynamic fluids
Probably a lot more.
potentially biased warning below this line
A small but dedicated community.
me. Extremely dedicated developer.

Rimworld:
2D world.
Ability to send parties of people elsewhere for different purposes. (DF will have this in the next update)
Modern tech.
Electrical energy (Opposed to Dwarf Fortress's Mechanical energy)
No magma ):
Lighting system.
Noise System(?).
Probably a lot more.

Return to “Gaming”