1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am UTC

How long does the story have to be to start a new one?

Wow cool, I'm the Vatican Miliner's Perfect Customer!
Decree: Describe your fondest memories or favorite events from the OTT (or the outside, if you want to and it's really neat).
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:11 am UTC

Somewhere around three lines I think.

Jumping the gun, maybe, but I've just added bsta to the TAT wiki page:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/TimeAfterTime#bsta

If you expand it, you can read all of the chat currently available from http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin

The clues/stuff-that-we-may-still-need is still being gathered at http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzles_and_Mysteries
Although, hopefully, soon it will be all moot.

ETA: Sorry I didn't reply before, svenman. I'm a bit excited. :)

Embarrassingly, I mostly am using the source editor, but I'm using it exactly like someone who has no idea what they're doing: by cutting and pasting with almost no understanding. I too am accurately represented by that comic that addams brought up a page or two ago.

<br/> ! Thanks! That's helping a lot. I'll have to try out colons next. :)

Also thanks for the Table of Contents info. :) I think my problem might have come from me being confused about what defines a heading and what's just font-size. I'll have to get straight on that sometime....
svenman wrote:
ggh wrote:I've got to be a little careful budgeting my Time today, so I'll be back in a bit with updates, but could someone type "hidden interface" into http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words just to make sure that finding the hidden interface isn't just that simple?

It isn't, apparently. As input it was rejected for not beginning with an "i".
Thanks for trying! I set you up with an H, but someone quickly intercepted it with "helpfully prevented." which is either suspicious or just a Coincidence. But then SBN got it going.

ETA2: And now it's going again!

I just pushed Play. The wheels are turning. I don't hear anything. I sorta wonder if we have to push all the buttons, but I also don't want to break it if it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. What do y'all think? I'm tempted to let it play for a day and see if something happens, but I don't really have any understanding....

Also, was that you in there GnomeAnne?

ETA3: I'm thinking of balthasar asleep in his bed (not creepy, I promise!) while this is going on. That's some styley Waiting for it.

ETA4:Heh, I just noticed this:
mscha wrote:TAPERONGLY...
-- posted by randompixbot
So, randompixbot's in on building the suspence too. Not surprised. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:26 am UTC

ggh wrote:

ETA2: And now it's going again!

I just pushed Play. The wheels are turning. I don't hear anything. I sorta wonder if we have to push all the buttons, but I also don't want to break it if it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. What do y'all think? I'm tempted to let it play for a day and see if something happens, but I don't really have any understanding....

Also, was that you in there GnomeAnne?

ETA: I'm thinking of balthasar asleep in his bed (not creepy, I promise!) while this is going on. That's some styley Waiting for it.

I say let it play some. Waiting is good. I may do some sleep waiting myself soon.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:54 am UTC

Apparently posting something else makes it go away.
I did not see SBN's advice until it was already too late.
I was there, yes.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 am UTC

Care to run through another three lines with me? :)
Last edited by ggh on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:22 am UTC

I would love to.

An image since this is a new page.
Spoiler:
This picture broke, I don't know why. It was a tape player from the two words page like ggh's.

I think this is not all there is, interface implies interaction but right now interaction with the tape player consists of it going away.

The Record button was not a link, it was an image named "o".

But the other buttons had links.
They may change when one is pushed.
After the play button had already been pushed.

ETA: Everything after this.

Right now those lead to the two words page.
Maybe using them in a different tab once we have initiated hidden interface will allow us to explore our options without having to write three lines every time.

But we should wait for it first.

I will look at the two words source code once I return home unless someone else has.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 am UTC

Meant to say before:
It was a nice set-up. :) Just fyi, you can start new stories with any letter you want, so you could have triggered it as soon as I terminated the previous story.

I can't see your Its alive image... not sure why....

I may have, um, clicked on view source myself, even though I don't know how to read such things.
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.36.48 PM.png

ETA: Any idea what ENHANCED DETAIL LEVEL might mean?
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:52 am UTC

Excellent.
And is the B for balthesar, the b side of the tape, or is it the enhancement level?
the pause button:
ggh wrote:Any idea what ENHANCED DETAIL LEVEL might mean?

I reckon It's referring to MSCHA's enhancement software that revealed otherwise invisible raptors and trebuchets, but I could be wrong.
Also, I did not do the yes hopefully.
Wait For It.

thunk

1190: "Monongalia"

Postby thunk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:05 am UTC

I see things are happening now. gumshoegh has noticed the Javascript.
Molpy on in the afterwhen, xuys. I'll get around to figuring it out in due Time.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:17 am UTC

The pause button is s=1
Spoiler:
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words?s=1
ETA: don't click the link until we know how the interface works

now, but the rest look the same. We could try loading pages with other numbers, but I'm not touching it for now. I didn't press play in case you want to try something else.

We almost need a sub-thread thread for this.

Reguarding the source, looks like everything is happening server-side. We probably can't do anything untoward with it.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:49 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:27 am UTC

That's javascript?

I can't think of anything to try.... Now that you have discovered that the record button isn't a button, both recording, and pushing all six buttons are off the table.

GnomeAnne wrote:We almost need a sub-thread thread for this.

We could chat on the wiki, or on, heh, Coincidence. But I don't think we're really annoying anyone here with this. Are we?

ETA: I kinda wonder if we need to find an audio thing playing somewhere....
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:30 am UTC

Did you press play and then pause, or just pause?
Or is someone else messing with it?

Reguarding the source, looks like everything is happening server-side. We probably can't do anything untoward with it.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:51 am UTC

I didn't press anything. At least I don't think I did. I hovered lightly....

ETA: ah, so it's playing now?

Is it wrong that my tabs look like this?
Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 4.54.10 PM.png
Agatha the Awesomeful

thunk

49: Riding Sleys past Delancey

Postby thunk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:09 am UTC

Title loosely inspired by this roachpatrol post about dragmolps.
Don't bother looking for the pile of gold cleverly hidden in ChronoCorp hq--the company *is* the hoard.

Omega+a few dips taken.
2102/2538 pages read (82.82%).

In my recent reenactment of the voyage of the James Caird, I haven't had much to say. So this blitzreport will be short.
There's the aftermath of the large announcement that Randall won the Hugo Award. Still impressive. There's wordongs that conclude in the next few {d/m}ips. Gazebo. Ointment. Credenza.
In BFTF, we first see the head-lady with the wheelstick. LEML explanation awaits me in the afterwhen.
Funny, this molpy all Translatong business. Translator, traitor.
No, I'm not making mustard accounts just for the sake of a cheap joke.
"I'm told "We get wordier in the Future". Yes. This is true.

CueMegAll apparently happened. Present-me informs that there's a Coincidence detector that does something similar? and whatever happened now now. Well HERESYHERESYHERESY.
Morobu ends. That was an interesting reveal. I too don't often understand how important the journey is.

What happens when you multiply t1i and t-1(i)? Time 2?
Impressive that a bunch of otters got Randall-signed books. I would never be the lucky I wouldn't think.

"Indeed, temporal disturbances interact badly with weather."
Tell me about it, it screws up all the forecast models. Mass continuity and the ageostrophic wind--as well as the whole rest of meteorology--kind of assume linear time.

Preview: somewhat. 15 maximum, personally. Wishes to avoid more unless absolutely necessary.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:23 am UTC

The record button may become a link once some unknown condition is fulfilled. It seems a waste to put the poor button there with no intention of ever using it.
Wait For It.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:42 am UTC

ggh wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:We almost need a sub-thread thread for this.

We could chat on the wiki, or on, heh, Coincidence. But I don't think we're really annoying anyone here with this. Are we?

I, for one, am following excitedly the First Commandment, to see what you're figuring out.
And that's a perfectly fine tabs bar. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 am UTC

ggh wrote:Is it wrong that my tabs look like this?Image

I also get carried away selecting "open in new tab".

thunk wrote:No, I'm not making mustard accounts just for the sake of a cheap joke.

I made a second account and named it mobteeseboose for my sister to use after I convinced her to start following the thread, so I could tell when she was online.
It wasn't solely for a joke.
thunk wrote:"I'm told "We get wordier in the Future". Yes. This is true.

Indeed, I noticed after about the five or six hundredth page the information content of the posts increasing significantly. That, in addition to my growing interest in the present Time has led to my blitzing slowing to a crawl. I do not know how Taixzo managed to do it so quickly. I may stop posting for a while at some point and concentrate on ketchingup, but not right now.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:46 am UTC

Y'know... somehow I missed this before, but the first two images I've included on the balthasar puzzle/mysteries page have the colour scheme from the bsta webpages, so I guess either we have to discover a new bsta page, or a story is going to replace that tape player or somehow emerge in Coincidence. The rest of the page layout looks Coincidency, but that might just be a Coincidence.
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am UTC

The BSTA page has been changing, does it normaly do this?
Before when I went to it, it was static (the noun, not the adjective, although it was that as well).
I have a script catching all the image addresses. There are links at the bottom for scrolling through the images, but they only go to two of them.
I cannot write a script quickly that gets the undertext or title. If someone wanted to do that, that would be lovely.
ENHANCE!
WORKING...
REWIND, AND:

I am now saving the image files themselves, as well, since that so called "static" image is not the same one that was originally there.

Not redundant
Spoiler:
BSTA static 1.png
ENHANCE
BSTA tape.png
REWIND
BSTA static 2.png
NOW REPLAY IT
BSTA image 0.png
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 am UTC

You already did it? :shock: That was fast.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:38 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:You already did it? :shock: That was fast.

I blame ggh

Does anyone have the actual coincidence cliet?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:26 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:The BSTA page has been changing, does it normaly do this?

Now that you (or someone else) started it, I can tell what happened
Normally the /bsta page looked like a normal Apache index:
bstaind.png
bstaind.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 9672 times

But it was not.
In was an autogenerated index.htm file
And when a button was pressed not only the tape interface changed state but also the bsta page changed appearance.
GnomeAnne saved some of them but not all.
This one
Spoiler:
is fake.
It must be a manip.
There was no such page - there was no "ENHANCINH" title.
One button setting was correct.
On the bsta page the picture was not distorted and a "Wait, ..." link appeared.
Someone clicked it and thus activated bsta.
And the tape interface and all the different bsta page appearances became forever unavailable.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:10 am UTC

Thank you for the explanation.
A lot of effort went into making this and setting it up. Did we find everything? Do we just wait and find out?

I redirected the image source from the bsta page to the tape from the two words interface and changed the title.
Spoiler:
Someone changed the names of the image files on your server, making accurate manipulation more difficult.
BSTA tape2.png

Was the distorted image changed, or did I just not notice the pattern at first?
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:22 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Someone changed the names of the image files on your server, making accurate manipulation more difficult.
??? Nothing was changed.

There were three different versions, depending on the tape interface state, together with the black one, that's four.
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:37 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Someone changed the names of the image files on your server, making accurate manipulation more difficult.
??? Nothing was changed.
I should not try to automate things, they were saved as sixteen and seventeen instead of ten and twenty.

There were three different versions, depending on the tape interface state, together with the black one, that's four.

I only saved the one.Image
Also, I was mistaken. ChronosDragon was the one whose software I thought was being referenced, mscha did much of the molpy detection, but BlitzGirl was the first to enhance one.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I only saved the one.Image
You saved the intf-tr.gif.
Other than tr there were also ll, pp, and kw.
ETA: oh, no!
It stopped at [EE:EE:EE].
Which means that the mechanism that was supposed to launch when the timer reaches 0 failed.
It will retry at each full hour so there is still hope.
I have put some effort to make sure that it starts nicely and everything works.
I even made a separate copy of the whole interface, under a completely different URL:
a redundant coincidence, 2words, tape interface, viewer, everything.
On this redundant copy I tested everything. Each change was tested on the redundant interface and only when I was sure it works correctly I copied the changes to the original interface and recompiled it. (This way I could make modifications While OTTers were already using 2words)
So I was sure that everything will work correctly.
But it didn't :(
I will try to fix it, but that will be in the late evening.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:33 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:27 am UTC

What does
[EE:EE:EE]
>Whatever_

mean?

ETA: Oh. Okay.
I should coma anyway
Spoiler:
GnomeAnne wrote:
somebody did push the button

I blame ggh

To be clear, I meant credit, not blame.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 am UTC

ggh wrote:ETA4: there's a stunning moon tonight. :)
I can't make out any bicycles on it, but then, I'm a bit nearsighted.
I noticed The Moon last night.
There are Rumors that say we are unusually close to our natural satellite.

Last night the MoonLight woke me up.
The moon was casting sharp shadows inside my box.

I put on a coat and waiked outside.
The Moon was small and high in the sky.

Yet; That Moon was putting out a lot of Light!
There were PopCorn clouds moving under The Moon.

The illusion was of The Moon moving and the clouds standing still.
Spoiler:
Brother! Brother! Look! How fast the Moon is moving!
I can remember saying those words to my Big Brother.
He was a kind man. He explained.

I wanted to share that Moon with you, The Time Thread.
Not only was The Moon unusually bright.
As it moved behind PopCorn clouds MoonBows formed.

There were halos forming around The Moon.
They were Red and Orange halos or MoonBows.

ggh wrote:ETA3: Hey, happy RNP, addams!

ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 9000 posts, addams!

RSIR:
Spoiler:
9k.jpg
Thank You, ggh. And; Thank You, ZoomanSP, too.
How Festive and Bright!

Like a BirthDay; Only Weirder.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:37 am UTC

ggh wrote:That's javascript?
There is no javascript in it.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:52 am UTC

I was away for a while, but now I'm back.

But I don't feel like posting right away.
I'm too busy going Wow....
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

itworxk again!

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:25 pm UTC

With some help from Outside - I fixed it!
BSTA

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

Oops - I didn't mean to wait that long. I started to post, but then the Little Wonder had a bad dream, and I sorta passed out beside her for a few hours....

First can I get some mild swearing off my chest?
Spoiler:
Holy shit, that was fun!

We have bsta! We have bsta! Woot!

balthasar_s wrote:You already did it? :shock: That was fast.
Why are you surprised? You thought GnomeAnne could find the frames that quickly, and you were correct!

Okay, I need to see if I've got this straight:
Triggering the tape player changed the bsta index page to show these (depending upon which button was pushed :
Spoiler:

Then the page changed to
title text: BSTA

and later to
title text: Wait, ...

and after a bit of fixing to
title text: Whatever

Oh, wait, ... the bsta title text is whatever the text of the title is. How delightfully redundant!

We are currently unsure how thorough the page will be as a viewer, (though now that there are three frames, it's looking quite vieweryish, with the notable quirk that it's easier to step through in reverse. (Edit: oops, sometimes the biggest link is the hardest one to see.) Also, no automatic process is ONGing the frames to the thread.
Is that the state of things?

Also, GnomeAnne has already launched into steakish (and raptorish) manips, including one performed not with photoshop, but with the code window! Treeish!
(Oh wait - this one isn't a manip - it's what you see when you try to look at a frame you can't see yet:

balthasar_s wrote:One button setting was correct.
On the bsta page the picture was not distorted and a "Wait, ..." link appeared.
Someone clicked it and thus activated bsta.
Was it the pause?

GnomeAnne, I have not forgotten your decree, nor addams, your moon, but those must wait for another post - this shuttle bus is full.

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 2.07.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 2.08.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 5.56.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 6.01.50 AM.png
Last edited by ggh on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:08 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
thunk wrote:"I'm told "We get wordier in the Future". Yes. This is true.

Indeed, I noticed after about the five or six hundredth page the information content of the posts increasing significantly. That, in addition to my growing interest in the present Time has led to my blitzing slowing to a crawl. I do not know how Taixzo managed to do it so quickly. I may stop posting for a while at some point and concentrate on ketchingup, but not right now.

That was a rather boring summer; I had no work and no school, so I spent about 8 newpix per day blitzing. I would definitely not be able to go that fast now.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 pm UTC

addams wrote:
ggh wrote:ETA4: there's a stunning moon tonight. :)
I can't make out any bicycles on it, but then, I'm a bit nearsighted.
I noticed The Moon last night.
There are Rumors that say we are unusually close to our natural satellite.

Last night the MoonLight woke me up.
The moon was casting sharp shadows inside my box.

I put on a coat and waiked outside.
The Moon was small and high in the sky.

Yet; That Moon was putting out a lot of Light!
There were PopCorn clouds moving under The Moon.

The illusion was of The Moon moving and the clouds standing still.
Spoiler:
Brother! Brother! Look! How fast the Moon is moving!
I can remember saying those words to my Big Brother.
He was a kind man. He explained.

I wanted to share that Moon with you, The Time Thread.
Not only was The Moon unusually bright.
As it moved behind PopCorn clouds MoonBows formed.

There were halos forming around The Moon.
They were Red and Orange halos or MoonBows.
Ooh - I've always wanted to see a MoonBow, but I never have. Halos, yes, but I think maybe I don't know where or when to look for MoonBows.

Have you ever seen the movie Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole? Probably not. It's an animated film about owls - perhaps a bit more geared to the Little Wonder than to you. Anyways, in that movie, the naughty Third-Reichish owls sometimes "moon-blink" young owls they've captured. Moon-blinking involves encouraging the tired little owls to fall asleep looking up into the full moon. In the morning, the owls are like docile little zombies - as though there was a group rate on lobotomies.

Maybe that's what happened to me. I love falling asleep looking up into the moon. I'll line myself up so that my head is in that little puddle of moonlight coming through the window. If I don't fall asleep right away, I'll scootch over to keep in it as the moon moves, like a horizontal sunflower - sometimes traveling beyond where it's comfortable to sleep.

Um, I feel like there should be one more sentence to this post - the message or something to make this meaningful or at least less random, but I'm afraid I don't have one. I just thought you'd relate. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:31 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Okay, I need to see if I've got this straight:
Triggering the tape player changed the bsta index page to show these (depending upon which button was pushed :
Yes,
this is my recreation of the possible appearances of the bsta page (before activation):
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/nd.htm
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/kw.htm
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/pp.htm
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/ll.htm
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/tr.htm
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/ng.htm

The values of ?s= in the button interface:
It's the state in which the tape interface will be after pressing the button.
It's a 6-bit number. One bit for each button. Leftmost button is 32, next is 16, then 8, 4, 2 and 1.
So s=17 means that > and || are pressed.
Numbers that don't make sense physically are interpreted as 0 or 1.
The button image file names match their state values but they are hexadecimal.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 pm UTC

Thanks! So what was the actual trigger from nd to kw?

ETA: One of the things I'm really curious about, just on a personal level, is whether the bsta page had started its transformation already when I left the house (immediately after posting). My thoughts kept wandering back here while I was out....
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

The appearance of the hidden interface.
When the tape interface appeared the page changed.
And when the interface disappeared, the page went back to pretending to be a standard Apache2 index
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Ha! So I totally could have seen it if I had looked! Instead, I was mindlessly watching the wheels turn on the tape. :oops:

ETA: and if the different buttons led to different distortions, why did it make the tape go away when SBN pushed rewind?

Is this too many questions? Should I be trying to figure this out for myself?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

ggh wrote:ETA: and if the different buttons led to different distortions, why did it make the tape go away when SBN pushed rewind?
Because of ninjaing.
I think it was like this:
SBN and svenman did what you said.
They entered "hidden interface" at the same time.
SBN was first.
Svenman saw a message that this must start with i.
Then he (or someone else) entered "is not" and made the interface go away.
When SBN pressed the button the interface was already inactive so when the page was reloaded it went away.

There are only two ways of disabling the interface:
- entering another 2 words
- starting bsta

ETA: The coincidence befores start from 0, not 1.
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”