1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thunk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:58 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
ucim wrote:
addams wrote:My name begins with a Capital letter.

<snip>
You're incognito.

I thought Addams is in oregon?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she lives in the land of wisconsin.
That was some unusual cartographic mustard.

Wisconsin notably borders (in clockwise order) Wassa's Estate, Land of Made-up Nonsense, Snowy Land, and Queen Calafia's Island.
Pope Decree: More state names taken literally.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 am UTC

I come from here then?
Spoiler:

I'm repostONG this, because I think it's important. I never should have posted it as the goat.
???

You're getting confused by all this.

Better get used to this since you're going to be this guy really soon.
Actually, you start being him right now!

How do you think we start being this guy? (If 'you' is in fact us?)

Suddenly I feel like looking for my soldering iron....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:06 am UTC

ucim wrote:Balthasar [...] has set up a script to look for anything with his name in it so he can look at just that part of the Present while in the Past; the script picks up anything resembling it. It was taken up as a challenge.
These are my words that started all this:
balthasar_s wrote:I don't know if he's aware that my name is mispronounced sometimes and it's safer to look for everything that b egins with balt-

ggh wrote:It's maybe a bit epsilon that I find writing "Balthasar" a bit less correct than "balthube-goldberg".
:D
Also I admit to thinking of 1968, 27, _s, SP, ASG, 83 and others as last names,
The _s does come from the last name.
ggh wrote:And this Time, there are only 35 hours 'til the next one....
I'm making you wait 35 hours for one darkening pix the new frame and you say it's only 35 hours . . .
ETA3: more like this?
Spoiler:
But, actually, it was horizontal, so more like this:
Redundant
Spoiler:
onglift11.png
onglift11.png (8.63 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I'm making you wait 35 hours for one darkening pix the new frame and you say it's only 35 hours . . .
You post in the OTT and are surprised that we wait for it? You're dealing with hardcore!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm UTC

I awake on the first day of Summit, of which the Ecclesiastical Calendar reflects:
"Even after you have reached the peak, there is more to find."

It's a lovely view.
Should I be enjoying it, or trying to find more?
And which commandment is in play?
Last edited by ggh on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1419

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

SPARONGNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by DrSamCarter.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MEGBALL GRAB MY CHRONOTRANSPONDER

-- posted by randompixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

:shock:

ETA:

rsir:
Spoiler:
bsta4withDrSamCarter.jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:24 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Image
Baobabs! On the secret base you can walk on water!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

Doh! I'm slipping. I meant him to appear to be knee-deep.

But... Did randompixbot and Automome both just try to answer me? I wonder how valid their information is. Do you think they converse with the bothasar brothers?

ETA: I have a question about the BSTA page that maybe someone webpage-savvy can answer for me: When you go to a BSTA page, the dark blue frame of the image turns orange when you move your mouse over it. What does that mean?

ETA2: I dug the music, ED! My facial recognition software is so poor that I didn't even realize that it was all the same girl until the second or third playing.

ETA3: Oh Addams - you inspired me to plant some cucumbers - what am I going to do? Not very long ago, I planted six seeds. One is a runt, but the other five came out swinging! They are still short, but already have hand-sized leaves. They will be monsters! I must find a home for 3 or 4 of them before they turn on me....
Spoiler:
IMG_3121.JPG
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:19 am UTC

ggh wrote:Doh! I'm slipping. I meant him to appear to be knee-deep.
He does appear to be knee deep, but I'm sure that's just an optical illusion casued by the warped gravity on the secret moonbase. Because what's a secret moonbase for if it doesn't warp gravity?

Unless it plays with time. And time is the same as space, multiplied by gravity. Or perhaps levity, since after all, the moon is up. Except when it's down. The moon is like that.

ggh wrote: Do you think they converse with the bothasar brothers?
Of course. Balth of them.

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 am UTC

ucim wrote:Of course. Balth of them.
Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 3.40.01 PM.png
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am UTC

I missed Eternal Density's violin dubstep when it was first posted, but it's totally related.
When I first saw Stratplayer's name I honestly thought it meant a Stradivarius...
yeah, I forgot it was spelled with a "D".

Sustainabilizer wrote:Hello, here's Sustainablitzer⁴ from the past again,
wishing everyone in the present a molpish Cueganmas!
Spoiler:
GnomeAnne wrote:
The Creator* wrote:The values of ?s= in the button interface:
It's the state in which the tape interface will be after pressing the button.
It's a 6-bit number. One bit for each button. Leftmost button is 32, next is 16, then 8, 4, 2 and 1.
So s=17 means that > and || are pressed.
Numbers that don't make sense physically are interpreted as 0 or 1.
The button image file names match their state values but they are hexadecimal.

Ohhh...That makes a lot more sense now!
I had the value and name fields backwards.
I think that the link I have listed for the stop button is wrong.

GnomeAnne wrote:Excellent.
And is the B for The Creator*, the b side of the tape, or is it the enhancement level?
the pause button:
ggh wrote:Any idea what ENHANCED DETAIL LEVEL might mean?

I reckon It's referring to MSCHA's enhancement software that revealed otherwise invisible raptors and trebuchets, but I could be wrong.
Also, I did not do the yes hopefully.

First of all, that's the "record" button, you idiot. But I'm curious what plans, if any, The Creator* had for it. Did you include the depressed button image just for completeness? Or would it have become a button under different conditions? Did adding the underscore just remove the top half of the image regardless of which button it was? What triggered the different types of interference?

Did anyone try to press record and play simultaneously by using a bit-wise “or” of their respective bits?

I won't try that out by myself now since the system is running now, and, you know, never change a running system.

⁴: Yeah, this Time I'm Blitzing. Which is neat.

I completely missed this the first time I saw it, and even when I responded to sustainabilizer, but The Creator* straight up tells us how to push record, even implying that play had to be pushed at the same time, making it 48. It wasn't even subtle, but I only saw it when I went back to check the numbers and try to extrapolate the assumed value for the record button.
The tape is write protected, which is why the button isn't a link, but manually entering the url would be like stuffing a wad of paper in the clip, or taping over it, to allow recording.
He said that two words would not write to bsta. Perhaps coincidence will, though. Or perhaps there is another interface somewhere.

It's possible the reason these frames are taking so long is that he only had a few filler frames while we figure out how to record a name.

*Try to find that with your script.

ETA: bolded text and to say that I have no idea on the frame color, I am temporarily away from my hometown due to work so I am using my mobile sand :(

Also E for decree: Nebraska means flat water. Perhaps this is due to Nebraska being a giant lake, teeming with pirates, with city sized boats adrift upon its surface vying for limited resources. Or per another hap, because it is flat and featureless.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I completely missed this the first time I saw it, and even when I responded to sustainabilizer, but The Creator* straight up tells us how to push record, even implying that play had to be pushed at the same time, making it 48. It wasn't even subtle, but I only saw it when I went back to check the numbers and try to extrapolate the assumed value for the record button.
The tape is write protected, which is why the button isn't a link, but manually entering the url would be like stuffing a wad of paper in the clip, or taping over it, to allow recording.
He said that two words would not write to bsta. Perhaps coincidence will, though. Or perhaps there is another interface somewhere.
Woohoo! That's really treeish! I also totally missed that the supposedly decorative record button was assigned a value. :oops:
Soo... do you think it would be like one step or two? I mean, do you think we'll have to do something to bring back the tape player, and then find something else to write what we want to record, or would hitting record on the tape recorder bring forth the means to accept input? Hmm, I guess it's moot for now. Or not quite - just because Two Words can't write to BSTA, maybe it could still summon the tape player at some point, and then the writing would happen elsewhere....

And here's something interesting: the title is now available for the next frame. B the guy is just a bit more than 9 hours away. The last 3 frames were ???. Does the escape from question marks mean that something has already made it through? Or that at this point only Waiting For It is required? Or nothing at all? B the guy.... I'm still really curious if someone in our world really managed to enter "b".

Gotta make dinner. It's not gonna be good. Back later.
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

Heh, I get it. It's a pun.
You're going to "B the guy"
Image here, you'll need this.

Maybe we missed our window of opportunity to name the guy :(
I hope that didn't happen.

Is there gong to be another OTTercon sometime?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:42 pm UTC

redundant
Spoiler:
saw2.png
saw2.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Image

my response to that picture.

Was it not intended to be a pun? BlitzGirl always used chainsaws to discourage the overuse of puns.

ETA: Image
Did you Edit a pre-existing photograph, or actually draw on the plywood?
Wait For It.

GnomeAnne

Double post for the ONG

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm UTC

Balthasar, is that chainsaw picture from a time after time type thing? bftf maybe? Or did you make it specifically for the occasion?

I started reading through bftf, but didn't get very far.

B the guy

You're being the guy now.

This guy is what you'll be being in the predictable future.

This could be problematic, without even knowing his full name or anything else about him.

But this also gives you a whole lot of new possibilities.
There's so many things you could do.

What will you do?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Re: Double post for the ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Balthasar, is that chainsaw picture from a time after time type thing? bftf maybe? Or did you make it specifically for the occasion?
It's this:
I found it in mrob's post on np2300.
BSTA

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

What will you do?

>Retrieve arms from chest.

The record button may work better in second-person mode.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

Balthasar_s, I meant the whole thing. The guy holding a saw and looking puzzled. I didn't know if you had just now made it, or had it on hand from a previous time and uploaded it.

ETA:
It doesn't look like we entered the b, I think the guy was intended from the beginning to be called b so we could be B the guy.
Oh well.
We have a soldering gun it looks like, or a drill, and a box (possibly a drawer) of wire or rope. Also a book or video casset, a waste bin with an unfinished name plate, and a very fine table. There appears to be a wall with a door, but the knob is not round. Perhaps an exterior door then, or an interior door with trim around the handle.
There are so many possibilities.
I vote we decide the box is made of wood, and mount it under the table at the edge with one end hanging out through a hole drilled in the side to act as a dispenser.
Leaving rope lose in a box is a good way to get it tangled.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Balthasar_s, I meant the whole thing. The guy holding a saw and looking puzzled. I didn't know if you had just now made it, or had it on hand from a previous time and uploaded it.
That's frame 10 of BSTA, modified. I added the saw after your post.

thunk wrote:>Retrieve arms from chest.
If you have to retrieve your arms from your chest...
it means you're having a bad day (and you're not going to space today).
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

Oh....I must be blind. :oops:
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:05 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:It doesn't look like we entered the b, I think the guy was intended from the beginning to be called b so we could be B the guy.
Oh well.
We have a soldering gun it looks like, or a drill, and a box (possibly a drawer) of wire or rope. Also a book or video casset, a waste bin with an unfinished name plate, and a very fine table. There appears to be a wall with a door, but the knob is not round. Perhaps an exterior door then, or an interior door with trim around the handle.
There are so many possibilities.
I vote we decide the box is made of wood, and mount it under the table at the edge with one end hanging out through a hole drilled in the side to act as a dispenser.
Leaving rope lose in a box is a good way to get it tangled.
Ooh - that sounds like fun! Let's examine it first though - maybe it's the solder, or something that will have more detail up close. Should we try writing it in Coincidence?

GnomeAnne wrote:Did you Edit a pre-existing photograph, or actually draw on the plywood?
Aw, thanks! :) I found that on google images.

Hmm, that's interesting: this morning Two Words is inviting me to add two words, despite my having written the last two words.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

The recognition of who wrote the last two words is very simple.
And that's why it can sometimes be wrong.
It might not recognize you.
And wrongly assume that you are a completely new person.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

I kinda wondered how it knew. I also wonder if you know (or can guess based on location) who writes what, both in Two Words and in Coincidence. I kinda assume you know, but it's all magic to me.

ETA:
GnomeAnne wrote:Perhaps an exterior door then, or an interior door with trim around the handle.
I've been wondering about that door too. It appears to have a window, which I associate with exterior doors, but the BSTA starts with "There is a guy standing in his room."
Last edited by ggh on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

Two words remembers the IP of the person who wrote the last two words.
The Coincidence demo doesn't know at all who is who. Everyone sees the same thing.

By analyzing the server (apache2) logs I can sometimes find out who did what, but that requires some effort.
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

They may be different doors, the wastebasket is seen from a different angle in this one than the previous one.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

balthasar wrote:But there was one thing I was not prepared for at all.

There was only one of you.
For most of the time there was only one OTTer on Coincidence.
And everything I prepared had the assumption that there would be more (not necessarily at the same time).
So you knew this based only on how the conversation went? Or... that instance might have warranted some effort....

If that guy is B, maybe he's really H. And if he's H, maybe he's HES. We should find out what the hamply thinks!
On the other hand, if that guy is B, he may really be B flat. That would explain bflataltbasar's dream.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:57 pm UTC

From the conversation, yes.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

Baobabs! I don't know whether to be impressed with you or horrified that I am so transparent.

In other mysteries, I am happy to note that mscha's bot still faithfully records the Epilogue frames. :)
As we go to 2017, we'll get to see if hujackus's prediction again comes true. I will be very surprised if it doesn't.
That mscha... he has plenty of outside to fill his Time, and yet he still does so much for us. I know it's a bit early to start celebrating, but I am raising my glassyum to mscha and all the wonderful infrastructure he gives us.

yum (apple cider mimosa - a respectable breakfast drink)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:49 pm UTC

The fact that you found the server ID (and posted a comment about 235) but did not reveal your discovery on the OTT might have helped a little.
I don't know where my pen is.
(1800 posts)
BSTA

january1may

Postby january1may » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

For my round-number post, I'm finally going to make a blitz report! :D
But first, some replies to quotes...
ggh wrote:
january1may wrote:Hello! I'm an OTTer. I think. I've heard there's a list of OTTers on the wiki, and I'm not on that list, so maybe I'm not actually an OTTer. But I'm going to think I'm an OTTer anyway.
that to say that list of OTTers is incomplete is like saying that the sea is bigger than a breadbox. Of course you're an OTTer! I think the way I added links to that page was to add everyone who was on the last few pages who'd posted a few times, and then toss in a few folks from a handful of scattered earlier NPs. By no means exhaustive. Just hoping to get the ball rolling. :) Add yourself! Btw, since it's come up recently, did you know that you're in the wOTTerfall?
I didn't, actually. I mean, I recall it, but can't recall me in it (especially since I didn't have an avatar then and still don't have one now).
And I did notice that the list of OTTers on that page was rather riverish...
Eternal Density wrote:
january1may wrote:HV Eternal Density, just so you know, it was me who nominated you as favorite author for the ongoing "Best of 2016" poll
Thanks, I didn't even know there was a poll! (Also, you are most definitely an OTTer. If you want to be. You are an OTTer in our hearts. If that's okay.)
Sadly I haven't actually written much this yip. I've procrastinated a lot though! Including on writing this post. I tried writing it a few dips ago but the internet ate my cookie. I mean, I was travelling in a carcastle with my leopad performing timeaccess in a cellular manner, so it kept disconnecting and reconnecting while I was writing my post, so I got logged out of the fora and so my post vanished.

Let's see if I can remember what I'd written...
Ah, yes. Thanks for all the bug reports and suggestions for my website. They're always welcome. Hopefully I'll get to putting the feedback into practise soon. Not sure if I can do anything about the avatars, as they are randomly generated by Gravatar.

I've finally sorted out some important parts of backstory so maybe we'll see more of Skids in the near future. But I've also got edits to make to the inital chapters and a new chapter to add before the beginning - probably - so I can't make any promises. Also I might procrastinate again :(

As for my missing avatar, I removed it a while back because I was concerned about non-OTTer scrutiny. Maybe I'll get a new one some time.
I can't even figure out what you're talking about. Can't recall any story by you that mentioned Skids at all, with backstory or otherwise, but I don't remember much of them, anyway.
I was thinking about Term Time, most likely. This yip was a bit seaish (as most yips are admittedly), and I'm a bit unsure now what was this yip and what was earlier.

As for the story of my holidips, it is a bit seaish (and in places somewhat unmolpish), so I'll do it in an addams-style spoilerH...
Spoiler:
The holiday traditions of my home are strange.
Pretty typical for my country, actually.

We do not celebrate Christmas.
We celebrate New Year.

It was a cold winter day in December.
Well, normal for us. Cold for everyone else.

A little 4 year old girl was sad.
She didn't have a New Year tree.

A little (well, short) 46 year old woman was also sad.
She didn't have a New Year tree either.

She just returned from her sister's party.
Her (the sister's) husband had his 54th birthday.

That home did have a tree.
But her home didn't yet.

So the short woman said to her little daughter:
"Don't be sad, I'll buy you a New Year tree."

It was in very late December.
Most of the shops were closed.

But she found a shop that was open.
And she bought a tree there.

It was a big beautiful tree.
It was also plastic. And it had to be assembled.

It also cost a lot of money.
She had to pay 10 rubles for it.

The year was 1974.
The little girl was my mother.

The short woman is still alive.
She is my grandmother. She is still short.

Her sister's husband is not still alive.
People don't usually live that long.

He died on April 27, 2013.
Exactly during the Fading.

Most old people have their own fading.
They get slower, weaker, more ill.

Old Nick didn't have any of that.
Well, maybe he did, but not as much.

He just went to sleep one evening.
And that time he didn't wake up.

I have heard of death from old age.
I thought it was a myth. That people only died of illness.

I know it's not a myth, now.
Old Nick proved me wrong.

He wasn't actually named Old Nick. We called him Kolya.
But that's the same name, anyway.

He was born in a village in 1918. (On the 24th of December, specifically.)
His family probably was Christian. (Maybe they didn't even know what happened yet.)

I have no idea if he was named for that Old Nick.
It would not surprise me if he was, with such a birthday.

(I know an unrelated person who was born on the modern Christmas.
That person's family is very religious. But they still gave said person a normal name.)

He fought in the Second World War, actually.
He was in Nyiregyhaza. That's in Hungary.

(No, I have no idea how he got there.
Maybe he didn't want to explain.)

Anyway, that was a very long-winded diversion.
Back to the story of our holidays.

The tree was kept after that time too.
It was used a few more times later.

The Soviets often built to last.
It was not limited to New Year trees.

I found the tree In 2007, I think.
It was in the original dusty box.

I saw the date on that box, and was a little surprised.
That was when I was told the tree's story.

That tree was used in December that year.
And the next year, and the one after.

We found another tree eventually. (Also plastic.)
We still have that box though, just in case.

Anyway, we have another New Year tradition.
(Not really a tradition. Just laziness, mostly.)

Most people take the tree out of its position in January.
They disassemble it, put it away, throw it out, whatever.

We were too lazy to do it in January.
We did the same thing, but in March. Or even June. (I think once it was October.)

We were particularly lazy this year.
The old tree was still standing on the 26th of December.

So we decided, why take it down at all?
Why won't we use it this year too?

So we have a ready-made tree this year.
It has all the pretty balls on it and stuff like that.

I have no idea how long it will stay.
But I don't actually expect that it will still be standing the next New Year.

We still celebrate Christmas, by the way.
Just not as much. And it's in January.
@thunk - I ended up having some residual exams over the last few dips, but after that it's pretty much straight holidips for nearly the entire first half of Summitmip (~= January).
(Though apparently I would end up having some residual residual exams even during the holidips; our schedule is epsilonish.)

@mrob27 - would it be possible to restart my old "mentions of username" page? I tried to use the forum search, but it's extremely unreliable and says the most recent mention was way back in Commandmentmip (September), which cannot possibly be true.
(And I'd rather not need to use the notification system, either.)

With that in mind, might as well start my blitz while it's still this yip on the first dip of Summit...

JFOMj1 Blitz Report 51.0
Progress: NP8/np28ЮЩ

I'm blitzing the OTT I'm blitzing the OTT I'm really ch*rping blitzing the actual ch*rping OTT oh, sorry, need to tone the language down a bit. Whatever.

Anyone who claims I have no patience for entropy hadn't seen me watching dissolving sugar. I would have probably made a good Timewaiter.

The description in that same post reminds me of the different themes of Irregular Webcomic. Except better.
And yes, the wiki's pretty neat! And wonderfulous. (That means "awesomeful", right? I don't think anyone used that particular word anywhere else on the OTT.)

Wait, didn't Lucky happen at sunrise? That certainly counts as "something".

For once someone didn't notice the javascript. Maybe it wasn't a thing yet that early? (And again a few posts later, and a few more times in the rest of NP1, apparently.)

However, someone did notice the np2 hash. (Did we ever get the np1 hash?)

Then the np3 hash. And someone reports a frame change at np3.33 (I think, not sure of the conversion system), which doesn't really make sense - did anyone ever figure that out? (And more epsilonish m*stard at np3.5 or so. Maybe the javascript really didn't exist back then?)

"Super slow motion video" is a good analogy.

It took me this long to make it through NP1? I used to think my old blitz was the most detailed ever.

Someone finally figured out shortpix length, and posted the frames 1-4. The spoiler two posts later has links to all the frames up to np488 (the one with "yuck" in it).

There's apparently discussion going on at the explainxkcd wiki. Someone should go and blitz it (maybe me, eventually).

And that "tree in 5 years" and "batches at a time" comment... the closest guess we've had so far.
Ironically enough, the member who made it only registered a decishortpixdsp earlier, and never posted again on the OTT.

As Slow As Possible had changed a note a few mips after that post, and is almost halfway to the next one by now (I wonder how far would they get before it's forced to finish).

There are already loop theories on NP2. As should be expected - not much had happened yet!

That Othercomic 915 link is very insightful. If this was Sufficient Velocity I would have given that post an Insightful rating. (Then again, I would've probably given that rating to most of NP1 and NP2 posts in general, and that's just silly.)

Early on NP3, the javascript is being noticed. It does appear that it perhaps really wasn't there earlier. (Then how, though? Maybe GLR really did originally update it manually? That might explain the m*stardy update times...)

I also want a flipbook of the OTC! Would be pretty thick though...

Nerd sniping is mentioned for the first time on NP4. It had been very much implied since much earlier though.

Things are happening in the comic! That (np15, most likely - could be np14) was probably the first newpix I actually remember seeing on the xkcd site originally.

Water! It did turn out to be (mostly) water, but IIRC there were some quite wild theories later on the way.

I didn't know we had OTTers in Bulgaria. (That particular one made 8 posts on the OTT, then four in random other places later.

Live updating gif on NP4 doesn't work anymore - somewhat fortunately. (Apparently the website lapsed away.)

A lot of firstposters trying to post links. Ha ha ha ha. (Some of them did succeed, maybe - hard to say.)

The ch*rp's an "Oh me yarm"? That's a bit of OTTish vocabulary I don't recognize... (just kidding, I know it's a grinder filter)

kaley, you're the best! The current frame at this point is np25, right? I'm not sure how could anyone recognize it that early. (Also the newword positioning kind of threw me off - I almost thought it was np27, which would make the sandcastle guess much easier.)

Angelastic's guess (lower down on NP6) is also pretty correct, though for a good deal later.

Moose Anus has a somewhat silly nickname, but xer guess is otherwise even better.

It is Munroe, for the record (as I have already mentioned in my previous blitz attempt).

Firstposters are appearing (including more than one single-poster), and keep noticing the javascript. Now I understand why it became such a running joke later.

And I might as well finish this report, because I've taken something like half a dozen longpix on it already, and I've finally made it to the point where I stopped first originally.

Also, specially for this post (and probably future blitz reports), a special game I made up recently a few yips ago...
It's called "Meta-Title Text". Well that's what I call it anywayzwei.

It works like this: you choose an Othercomic (you can use the Random button if you want), look at its title text, and imagine that said title text was written out directly as a caption (kind of like the captions in the My Hobby series).
Then, your goal in the game is to imagine a new title text for the resulting combination - it can be easy, or hard (or perhaps, in some cases, even nearly impossible - if you think you got one of those, you are allowed to choose again). And post it, obviously.

Of course, due to the limitation of the forum software, most likely, your new title text will also be written out directly. So then you can make a new meta-meta-title text, and then a meta3.0-title text, and so on.
And it's also allowed to have several different versionsdeux of meta-title texts for the same Othercomic, obviously (just like there can be multiple OTTifications).

Inspired by the Russian xkcd translation (which, as far as I understand it, used to put title texts below the comic because they couldn't figure out how to do it properly, and then kind of went with it as a tradition).

And here's my inaugural post...
um...
it's harder than I thought it was...
The random comics I hit, in order, were 82 (early installment weirdness), 1389 (weird large comic), 494 (part of a series), 800 (joke went totally over my head), 1208 (too self-contained), 1735 (in retrospect, probably easy, but complicated), 1207 (BHG being BHG), 875 (way too topical), and 18 (no weirdness, just early).
Okay, here it goes. (Ironically enough, for some reason my memory seems to insist that this was the first Othercomic I've ever seen. No idea why06.)

Original title text: "Gorilla, yes. Adorable golden retriever, yes. But it says nothing about meerkats."
Meta-title text: "Actually, there *was* a rule, but it used the term "suricate", so nobody noticed until much later."

Um, it's getting silly late here, so I should probably post the report now...

(Incidentally, did anyone guess what film(s) I'm talking about in my signature?
It's a bit whimsical, obviously, but most of the stuff in it is pretty much true, and yes, it's describing a real actual film that actually exists in reality.)

06 it is unlikely to have been the first Othercomic I've ever seen by being the most recent when I first saw the xkcd website, on the account of coming out a few mips before I got regular internet access - though it's not like I didn't see any 'net back then, so it's still a theoretical possibility
1.0 for the recordLP, it's the same sequence as in my old blitz, but started from the beginning because anything else would be silly
3.0 not actually a footnote, obviously
ЮЩ yes, deliberately
deux three instances of the second Japanese integer, a non-existent molpy-eating molpy (which, as I have mentioned before, most likely doesn't exist), and a table tennis ball
dsp somehow the word "decishortpix" had not been used anywhere either... either on the OTT, or anywhere else - Google doesn't find any hits at all
H and, apparently, in non-OTTish - I guess I thought using OTTish would confuse the mood
j1 as it happens, "january1may" is a simplified version of my actual usual online nickname, which I use, among other places, on Language Log
LP oh, yeah, I forgot to reply to that particular quote - yes, I did choose the number 1.0 such that the answer would be the same regardless of interpretation, and yes, you figured it out correctly - 2^2^2^2^2^0=6553610
zwei three instances of the second Japanese integer, a table tennis ball, and a non-existent molpy-eating molpy (which, as I have mentioned before, most likely doesn't exist)
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:20 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The fact that you found the server ID (and posted a comment about 235) but did not reveal your discovery on the OTT might have helped a little.
I don't know where my pen is.
(1800 posts)
I'm very sorry about that. :( I thought once I entered 80236 it was just magically available for everyone. You did tell me to check that by... OMR... you said it! I didn't quite understand what you meant at the Time... I thought I needed to do a test by changing my ISP or something I didn't understand....

balthasar, in a reference that went completely over my head, wrote:You can check this out in two simple steps:
First, be someone else. Then, visit Coincidence

GO! GO! GO!

Also,
Spoiler:

ETA: I just took a selfie.
Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: "Time": I'M IN YR KEYBOARDY-SMASHITUDE, CH*RPING YR GOATS

Postby mrob27 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:49 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Soup wrote: !Soup used to know where the emoji repositories were, *Grumble, grumble

NP1300 and NP1800 have a bunch. ggh isn't sure if there's another repository too.

balthasar_s wrote:2300.
Will we get one on 2800 too?

That's my plan. Maybe by that time I'll be … uh… in the basement but hopefully if someone's paying attention they can grab the top post of NP2800 to use for an emoji collection or something similar. If you're not interested in actually doing the tedious work, that's OK I'm sure someone else will be glad to do so and could send the BBcode by PM or something.
  Note that my smily/emoji collection on NP2300 is intentionally text-only. That's so I can search for something that I already know I want, like "wolf". It also loads faster.
  By contrast, the NP1300 and NP1800 collections, both by @BlitzGirl, are more like what you'd expect. I always imagined that the NP2800 collection would also be graphical.
 Both formats are useful. Some people are more visual than others. Sometimes I need to find something and don't know what it might be called.

january1may wrote: @mrob27 - would it be possible to restart my old "mentions of username" page? I tried to use the forum search, but it's extremely unreliable […]

I might not be the best one to ask anymore. I've been out of touch. I recall that the issue was avoiding harm to people who want privacy, in the somewhat hypothetical scenario that they're participating in the OTT against explicit prohibitions from parents or employers. As the hypothetical story goes, if my username is mrob27 and someone like my parents knows that is my username, then my OTT activity is not anonymous (from their perspective) and they could search the forum to find out that I'm OTTing at, say, 1:30 in the morning, violating some sort of curfew.
  In my experience and in my opinion, it appears that the xkcd fora have customs and policies that generally aim for safety. Different cases and scenarios are handled differently. Anonymity is ruthlessly enforced as much as technically and legally possible, to protect participants who might be vulnerable to harm. For example, at one point (and almost certainly still), having a 2nd account was(is) permitted if it is solely for participation in safespace topics. On the other hand, if someone is doing something harmful, or appears to be trying to do so, then the mods will of course use all available information, including IP addresses and other things normally private, to stop them.
  The OTT has a long history of working things out for itself (or at least giving the appearance of such) and the mods have rarely needed to make themselves visible to resolve a problem. I suppose we had a discussion about the username statistics issue and came out on the side of condoning juvenile deliquency. Perhaps if we had that discussion again the outcome would be different.

A bOTTeriada warning: I just did a bunch of retro-edits to story lines that already ONGed. This means there will be a hiccup in the ONGs, and the King Idle story won't finish until 1 or 3 dips later than it otherwise might have. But it's still pretty raptorish compared to before. I needed to do the edits in preparation for posting the whole thing here. But I always wait until mrImagebdexbot has begun the next chapter.

mrob27

wolfWhy did you have a wolf?
Oh… that's why.
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:56 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:19 am UTC

ggh wrote:Doh! I'm slipping. I meant him to appear to be knee-deep.
He appears to be knee deep, to me.
He is complaining about the cold water.
That is funny.
ggh wrote:Oh Addams - you inspired me to plant some cucumbers - what am I going to do? Not very long ago, I planted six seeds. One is a runt, but the other five came out swinging! They are still short, but already have hand-sized leaves. They will be monsters! I must find a home for 3 or 4 of them before they turn on me....
That is funny, too.
You have a very Green Thumb to go along with your Green House.
january1may wrote:
Spoiler:
The holiday traditions of my home are strange.
Pretty typical for my country, actually.

We do not celebrate Christmas.
We celebrate New Year.

It was a cold winter day in December.
Well, normal for us. Cold for everyone else.

A little 4 year old girl was sad.
She didn't have a New Year tree.

A little (well, short) 46 year old woman was also sad.
She didn't have a New Year tree either.

She just returned from her sister's party.
Her (the sister's) husband had his 54th birthday.

That home did have a tree.
But her home didn't yet.

So the short woman said to her little daughter:
"Don't be sad, I'll buy you a New Year tree."

It was in very late December.
Most of the shops were closed.

But she found a shop that was open.
And she bought a tree there.

It was a big beautiful tree.
It was also plastic. And it had to be assembled.

It also cost a lot of money.
She had to pay 10 rubles for it.

The year was 1974.
The little girl was my mother.

The short woman is still alive.
She is my grandmother. She is still short.

Her sister's husband is not still alive.
People don't usually live that long.

He died on April 27, 2013.
Exactly during the Fading.

Most old people have their own fading.
They get slower, weaker, more ill.

Old Nick didn't have any of that.
Well, maybe he did, but not as much.

He just went to sleep one evening.
And that time he didn't wake up.

I have heard of death from old age.
I thought it was a myth. That people only died of illness.

I know it's not a myth, now.
Old Nick proved me wrong.

He wasn't actually named Old Nick. We called him Kolya.
But that's the same name, anyway.

He was born in a village in 1918. (On the 24th of December, specifically.)
His family probably was Christian. (Maybe they didn't even know what happened yet.)

I have no idea if he was named for that Old Nick.
It would not surprise me if he was, with such a birthday.

(I know an unrelated person who was born on the modern Christmas.
That person's family is very religious. But they still gave said person a normal name.)

He fought in the Second World War, actually.
He was in Nyiregyhaza. That's in Hungary.

(No, I have no idea how he got there.
Maybe he didn't want to explain.)

Anyway, that was a very long-winded diversion.
Back to the story of our holidays.

The tree was kept after that time too.
It was used a few more times later.

The Soviets often built to last.
It was not limited to New Year trees.

I found the tree In 2007, I think.
It was in the original dusty box.

I saw the date on that box, and was a little surprised.
That was when I was told the tree's story.

That tree was used in December that year.
And the next year, and the one after.

We found another tree eventually. (Also plastic.)
We still have that box though, just in case.

Anyway, we have another New Year tradition.
(Not really a tradition. Just laziness, mostly.)

Most people take the tree out of its position in January.
They disassemble it, put it away, throw it out, whatever.

We were too lazy to do it in January.
We did the same thing, but in March. Or even June.
(I think once it was October.)

We were particularly lazy this year.
The old tree was still standing on the 26th of December.

So we decided, why take it down at all?
Why won't we use it this year too?

So we have a ready-made tree this year.
It has all the pretty balls on it and stuff like that.

I have no idea how long it will stay.
But I don't actually expect that it will still be standing the next New Year.

We still celebrate Christmas, by the way.
Just not as much. And it's in January.
I'm blitzing the OTT I'm blitzing the OTT I'm really ch*rping blitzing the actual ch*rping OTT oh, sorry, need to tone the language down a bit. Whatever.

And I might as well finish this report, because I've taken something like half a dozen longpix on it already,
and I've finally made it to the point where I stopped first originally.

Inspired by the Russian xkcd translation
(which, as far as I understand it, used to put title texts below the comic because they couldn't
figure out how to do it properly, and then kind of went with it as a tradition).

Um, it's getting silly late here, so I should probably post the report now...
(phew) I am so impressed with Time Posters.
That was a (we need a new adjective) Report!
That report deserves a Report.

I enjoyed your story.
I want to know more.

xkcd is translated into Russian?
You can read both? (Gee...)

Both your Holiday Story and your Report left me with many questions.
Your Blitzing Game might be a fun game for the Game Forum of xkcd Forum.

This is a one page Blitzing Report.
One page holds many mysteries.

(phew...) ED's music will make it all OK. Thank you, ED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xO6AWFHVps&app

oh! My OutSide is funny, sometimes.
I have been hanging around the local Theater.
I have been helping with a long overdue purge.

Funky costumes, clothes and long left unused set pieces are being discarded.
I received a telephone call. An eight foot tall Throne is going to be delivered.

An eight foot tall Throne is Yard Art.
If only images were possible for me.

How funny is an eight foot tall Throne in a clearing in the forest?

Now; Back to coding way up there, over my head.
Hi! ggh, Jose, Ed, Zooman, mrob and everyone
from Addams, down here on my Throne....
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:19 am UTC

mrob27's post title wrote:I'M IN YR KEYBOARDY-SMASHITUDE, CH*RPING YR GOATS
mrob27's footnote's title text wrote:The goat makes sense. Goats are fine.

Speaking of title text,
january1may wrote:Original title text: "Gorilla, yes. Adorable golden retriever, yes. But it says nothing about meerkats."
Meta-title text: "Actually, there *was* a rule, but it used the term "suricate", so nobody noticed until much later."
I love your game january1may! (ooh, I see in the preview window that I'm ninja'd on this) Your inaugural meta-title is steakish. I can't wait to see more!

Your New Year's story is lovely too - thanks for posting it! Neat Tree. :)

january1may wrote:I can't even figure out what you're talking about. Can't recall any story by you that mentioned Skids at all, with backstory or otherwise, but I don't remember much of them, anyway.
ED wrote a few chapters of an awesomeful story and he was probably responding to those (including me) who have been harassing him for more. The first chapter is here.

addams wrote:How funny is an eight foot tall Throne in a clearing in the forest?
Pretty chirping funny. :)

ETA:
addams wrote:Now; Back to coding way up there, over my head.
Wait, are you talking about what balthasar, GnomeAnne and I have been yapping about?
If so, it's not over your head!
Look at this picture:
We don't know much about this guy.

What do you think he should do?
Try typing that into here: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin and hit Send
(I don't think that thing will ask you for a server #, but if says it's Not connected or something like that, enter 80236,
and then that should get you to the place where you can enter what you want him to do.)

Maybe the thing you say will happen, maybe it won't. We don't know yet. Let's find out!
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I thought once I entered 80236 it was just magically available for everyone.
It was. But nobody knew. And nobody went there after you did it so they didn't find out.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:35 am UTC

I'm so sorry, balthasar.

Also, I'm sorry, OTTers.
Agatha the Awesomeful

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:40 am UTC

Did you know that if you Google "Missing young medieval manservant" you get error 404?
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”