Show us your articles! Or what's your Erdos number?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby Pathway » Mon May 28, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Woxor wrote:I just realized that one of my profs last year had an Erdos number of 2. I had the opportunity to proofread a book he was writing (and be credited in the published version for as much), but I didn't do it! Curses! I don't know how close I'll get to a 3 again.

I thought it was a lifetime thing--if you publish seven papers that would get you a 6, and one that would get you a 3, you still get the 3.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.
Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby bitwiseshiftleft » Mon May 28, 2007 7:35 am UTC

We're somewhat short on actual papers in this thread, so here's a paper I co-authored (on my advisor's website).
bitwiseshiftleft

Postby SpitValve » Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 am UTC

Pathway wrote:
Woxor wrote:I just realized that one of my profs last year had an Erdos number of 2. I had the opportunity to proofread a book he was writing (and be credited in the published version for as much), but I didn't do it! Curses! I don't know how close I'll get to a 3 again.

I thought it was a lifetime thing--if you publish seven papers that would get you a 6, and one that would get you a 3, you still get the 3.

But he didn't actually publish with the professor, so he missed out on the chance to get a 3.
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby Pathway » Tue May 29, 2007 6:50 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Pathway wrote:

But he didn't actually publish with the professor, so he missed out on the chance to get a 3.

I didn't say his number was 3. It was a conditional!
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.
Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby SpitValve » Tue May 29, 2007 7:02 am UTC

Pathway wrote:I didn't say his number was 3. It was a conditional!

ok... the "I thought" bit made me think you were somehow disagreeing with him, and I couldn't quite figure that bit out...
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby Stig Hemmer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Paul Erdös - Marc Kac - Per Hemmer - Stig Hemmer

My father has earned his 2, but I would say my 3 is mostly nepotism.:wink:

Mostly on random walks.

Edit: counting is hard, especially with such big numbers. :oops:
Last edited by Stig Hemmer on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is not true.
Stig Hemmer

Postby charlesfahringer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:38 am UTC

If we finish and publish our work from last summer's REU, I'll have a 2:
Paul Erdös -- Neil Calkin -- Charles Fahringer.
I don't know if we'll finish it, though. As a naive young mathematician, I got interested in an unsolved problem (the "least modulus conjecture"), and of course we didn't work on solving it, but on breaking the computer record associated with it. I happen to be not so learned in parallel programming, so other than developing some algorithms for finding covers, I wasn't much help.
charlesfahringer

Postby zenten » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

I've slept with someone who put up Erdős for a few weeks at her home, does that count?
zenten

Postby FiddleMath » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:44 am UTC

My paper actually got accepted! Yay!
(in Discrete Mathematics.)

Not bad, seeing as I'm doing mostly programming, nowadays. :)

If y'all like, I'll show you this technical report I'm working up, too... it's a (really simple) example of an NP-completeness reduction. That, apparently, would've saved my current adviser and a student of his about a month's work on a particular project, had they caught it then.

So, I guess CS theory can be useful... :j
FiddleMath

Postby the keeper » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

As an undergrad, I was published in an undergrad journal.
Chaos, The Pentagon, Volume 63, No. 2, 17-24.

The paper had no co-author, but my professor that was overseeing the paper has en Erdos number of (at leakst) 5. Does that mean I have an Erdos number of 6?, or because he wasn't a co-author my number is still undefined?
the keeper

Postby Porges » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:10 am UTC

iw wrote:I assume "colon compliance" means that every paper needs to have a colon in its title to be worth anything. Not sure though.

I took it to be that papers must follow the "<Short, catchy title>: <Long, boring subtitle>" format.

For example:
"Bananas in Space: Extending Fold and Unfold to Exponential Types"
Porges

Postby McHell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

the keeper wrote:Does that mean I have an Erdos number of 6?, or because he wasn't a co-author my number is still undefined?

Still undefined. The AMS website has an Erdos-calculator, but it looks at only a small set of magazines (e.g. Phys Rev Letters not included after a certain year) that are "hardcore maths" --- giving strange results where some of my definitely more mathematical friends score undefined/infinite where very biological ones have 3 and 4.
Your supervisor having 5 is relatively high... he might have a lower one in an unexpected way.

@StigHemmer: it gives you 3, not 4! The MathSciNet says so!

I note that however few co-authors I have, I'm 5 in 4 different ways (and 4 in one way)... that is, recognized by the AMS calculator only.
Edit: hm, I'm not 4 because that was a chapter in a book --- the chapter is not jointly written, I had counted myself as co-author of the editors.
McHell

Postby arachnophilia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:58 am UTC

not being a math student, i have not authored or co-authored any math papers, and thus don't have an erdos number. but i have something cooler:

that's erdos on the paddle. to the left is my father. this picture was taken in 1980 by my mother, before i was even born. i've met erdos on a number of occasions, but i was really too young to remember now. i'm not totally sure what my father's erdos number is, but i could ask. i know at least one person with an erdos number of +1 (bolobas) was on my father's thesis committee.

edit: my father reports that his erdos number is 2, a few different ways.
arachnophilia

Postby ptveite » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

I have a math textbook signed by Bela Bolobas.....
ptveite

Postby Cexy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

I know a load of people with E number 2, by cirtue of being Bollobas's students. I'm reasonably certain that I won't get any lower than a 3, though. :(
Eschew obfuscation.
Cexy

Postby gmedina » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

arachnophilia wrote:...that's erdos on the paddle. to the left is my father. this picture was taken...

Well, since your father's figure seems to be so important to you, tell us more about him and his Erdos number. Maybe we can help you.
In Memoriam
gmedina

Postby Cexy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I've slept with someone who put up Erdős for a few weeks at her home, does that count?
Only if she slept with Erdos first, in which case you get an automatic Erdos number of 2. Possibly.

Interestingly, by defining Erdos numbers in this way (and ignoring homosexual relationships, I guess) you would ensure that anyone with an odd Erdos number was female and anyone with an even Erdos number was male. Hmm.
Eschew obfuscation.
Cexy

Postby zenten » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 am UTC

Cexy wrote:
zenten wrote:I've slept with someone who put up Erdős for a few weeks at her home, does that count?
Only if she slept with Erdos first, in which case you get an automatic Erdos number of 2. Possibly.

I never asked her explicitly, but from her description of the guy I would have to say she didn't. Unless she was bitter about the breakup or something.
zenten

Re:

Postby SimonM » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Cexy wrote:

I never asked her explicitly, but from her description of the guy I would have to say she didn't. Unless she was bitter about the breakup or something.

I was under the impression from 'The Man who Loved only Numbers' that he had a physical problem with his penis, which caused him great pain when he had an erection, and he told someone (can't remember the exact person) that he hadn't had sex (and that was when he was 70)
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?
SimonM

Re: Show us your articles! Or what's your Erdos number?

Postby Korandder » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:03 am UTC

I have one paper so far in grid computing. Abstract I am pretty sure I have a finite Erdős number through that paper.

I am currently doing research on shell and emission features of A type stars which will lead to another paper.
Korandder

Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Re:

Postby monkeykoder » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:26 am UTC

Cexy wrote:

Interestingly, by defining Erdos numbers in this way (and ignoring homosexual relationships, I guess) you would ensure that anyone with an odd Erdos number was female and anyone with an even Erdos number was male. Hmm.

Is it bad that I thought of the exact same thing when reading that post? Too bad I'm an undergrad one of my profs I'm pretty sure has an erdos number of 2.
monkeykoder

Postby hthall » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Erdős number 3 in three ways; Erdős number 2 pending. (Technically--but it's really more of a fourth route to 3, since we collaborated only by way of a third coauthor, and have never actually met.) In the stricter sense, where only two-author papers count, it's still infinite.
Look at me, still talking when there's Science to do.
hthall

Postby ptveite » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:08 am UTC

I have a paper that is being published in an Italian Math Journal. Erdos number: 3. Wladyslaw Wilczynski - Tibor Salat - Paul Erdos. Where can I upload a PDF?
ptveite

Postby Tossrock » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:32 am UTC

I go to UCSD, and my discrete math (CSE21) professor is this guy

I should ask him to write a paper with me!
Tossrock

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:42 am UTC

ptveite wrote:I have a paper that is being published in an Italian Math Journal. Erdos number: 3. Wladyslaw Wilczynski - Tibor Salat - Paul Erdos. Where can I upload a PDF?

You could just attach it and see what happens. Its probably way too big though.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.
jestingrabbit

Re:

Postby rflrob » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Cexy wrote:

There's a CS professor at my school (I don't remember his name (I'm a physics major and have only heard about him through CS majors), and even if I did, probably wouldn't post it) who apparently has slept with many of his Grad Students. My friends and I decided there should be a (his name) number, except you get it through sleeping with people. We know several people with numbers of 2.
Ten is approximately infinity (It's very large)
Ten is approximately zero (It's very small)
rflrob

Postby btilly » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

I'm long out of mathematics. (Never quite finished my PhD.) But my official Erdos number is 3. My unofficial one is 2. The difference is because the official count does not include shared math monthly problems. I have 2 math papers and the aforementioned math monthly problem.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0003-1305(199602)50%3A1%3C14%3AOTCOIC%3E2.0.CO%3B2-L is the paper that got me my official Erdos score. The math monthly problem was the following. Suppose that F is a field and X is an infinite set. The set of functions from X to F is a vector space over F. What is the dimension of that vector space?
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.
btilly

Postby MysticTerminator » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:57 am UTC

Hmm. Isn't there a basis vector corresponding to each element x \in X, namely the function that is 0 at all points of X other than x and 1 at x?
MysticTerminator

Postby Owehn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

If X doesn't have a topology on it, the basis is probably a Hamel basis, meaning you need to be able to form arbitrary elements of the vector space using only finite linear combinations of basis elements. So there's certainly a basis for the vector space containing each of those functions, but if X is infinite they don't span the vector space, because finite linear combinations of them are nonzero at only finitely many points.
[This space intentionally left blank.]
Owehn

Postby btilly » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Owehn wrote:If X doesn't have a topology on it, the basis is probably a Hamel basis, meaning you need to be able to form arbitrary elements of the vector space using only finite linear combinations of basis elements. So there's certainly a basis for the vector space containing each of those functions, but if X is infinite they don't span the vector space, because finite linear combinations of them are nonzero at only finitely many points.

Exactly right.

I don't remember the details of the proof, but the answer is that the basis has the same cardinality as the power set of X.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.
btilly

Postby ptveite » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

Hmmm....we'll see if this works....
Attachments
QUD Topology Final.pdf
(142 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
ptveite

Postby adlaiff6 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

I have a professor who has a problem he hasn't solved yet, but which he discussed heavily with Erdos at some point. Should he solve it and write it up (hopefully with my co-authorship), I believe he'd include Erdos as well, which would get me a 'posthumous' Erdos number of 1 or 2 (depending whether I co-author the paper). Much speculation though.
3.14159265... wrote:What about quantization? we DO live in a integer world?

crp wrote:oh, i thought you meant the entire funtion was f(n) = (-1)^n
i's like girls u crazy
adlaiff6

Postby J77 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:34 am UTC

Erdos?

It's all about your h-index these days :P
J77

Postby thedufer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Having looked up this "Erdos number" and "h-index", I am suddenly intrigued. I'd never heard of ways of ranking scientists. The h-index seems to be more useful than the Erdos number. But having little experience in the world of authorships and co-authorships, I wouldn't really know.

More interestingly, I recently developed something that will probably turn into a math paper in the near future. "The near future" being defined as "when I learn how to do proofs". Speaking of which, if anyone has a goodly amount of experience in this proof business, I may be interested in speaking to you. The math is pretty simple multivariable calculus, but I work math in a very intuitive way and therefore have no idea how to go about proving something that I'm 99% sure is true.
thedufer

Postby DeGuerre » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I'm proud to say that my Erdos number is 6. I'm not sure that I really want to reduce it any further.
DeGuerre

Postby paul_erdos » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Zero, my friends. Unfortunately, from Math Heaven, I cannot upload any of my over 1,500 articles, due to the Pearly Firewall.
paul_erdos

Postby 3.14159265... » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:12 am UTC

Best reminder that we are on the Internets.

Great first post.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings
Irrational (?)

Postby Sarcasticus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 am UTC

http://geocities.com/gregdoyle007/greg5.pdf

Here's my honours thesis. It's about using Eisenstien reciprocity to discover prime, primitive roots.

I remember working for 10 months or so on this. I absolutely loved writing it...
Sarcasticus

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Sweet! I was thinking of learning the proof of Cubic reciprocity and here it is all wrapped up in chocolate for me :D

Thank you :)
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings
Irrational (?)

Postby adlaiff6 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

We submitted this to CRYPTO 2008. Sadly, it's not as pure-math as I'd like it to be, but it wasn't all systems-oriented either, and the project itself was a lot of fun anyway. We've implemented hashing, and we just have to tidy up the program a bit more and make it usable.
Attachments
crop.pdf
paper
(236.65 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
3.14159265... wrote:What about quantization? we DO live in a integer world?

crp wrote:oh, i thought you meant the entire funtion was f(n) = (-1)^n
i's like girls u crazy
adlaiff6

PreviousNext

Return to Mathematics