1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:04 am UTC

I used your images as input. I tried to get something working to view iff, but it turned out to no longer be mac-compatible... something about PowerPC.... I confess: I don't really like installing stuff. I always feel like I'm going to download malware or well-intentioned freeware that breaks something else I've got. I should get an iff-viewer and the previously-discussed gif tool, but there may be some foot-dragging first.

Gotta run or I'm going to have a brick in a sock waiting for me.
More later.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 am UTC

ggh wrote:I I always feel like I'm going to download malware or well-intentioned freeware that breaks something else I've got.
I have this worry, too.
I try to be very cautious.
ggh wrote:Gotta run or I'm going to have a brick in a sock waiting for me.
More later.
Brick in a sock?
What is this Brick in a sock?
Spoiler:
I have heard rock-in-a-sock to describe a female breast form.

Oh! Lucille has been in my life sense 2012.
Poor little thing. She deserves better care.

She is Uncomplaining and Faithful.
She has been good to me.

She had a Rough day today.
To be fair, so did I. (snow)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

"This way!" he exclaimed, and the OTTers resumed their line and carried on posting, single-file, in reverse, and $ЯОЯЯІМ$ed as Balthacarius had found them.
  The bOTTifactors left them, knowing this would at the very least set up a temporal causality matrix within which Tornater's dragonic causality could be highlighted.
  They Blitzed on, guided by the readings of the dragologically-calibrated molpometer Mrorl was keeping on a chain around his neck. As for Balthacarius' dracometric field detector, it was presently on 55 and trembling as if nervously contemplating 89. They soon received a chronogram from the elusive @@Dracomax, claiming <*:"death is but a doorway, Time is but a window. I'll be back,":>^{13}. Mrorl searched the logs and pulled up xes later transmission: <*:"Just sending

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot
ggh wrote:Gotta run or I'm going to have a brick in a sock waiting for me.
I read this post just before leaving home.
Then while cycling to the train, when it was still dark I was thinking about this post a little.
Now I have this image in my head:

Ggh sits on her bed.
She puts her socks on her feet.
Then she stands on the floor.
Suddenly she discovers that there was a LEGO brick in the sock.

I should get [...] the previously-discussed gif tool
Probably not. giftoiff is a program that can be used on the computer you see in the bstaframes.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 am UTC

Oops, no, I was talking about the gif tools that Aluisio and pogrmman were suggesting for me back on NP2550 when I was using some highly questionable methods to extract the frames from your tape-interface gifs.

Hold on, let's see if I can fix this image in my mind: you riding your bicycle through a pre-dawn, frozen landscape to the train, whilst considering that I might wear socks. In the spirit of reciprocation, I am going to try to remember this the next Time I do wear socks, which I would expect to be no more than eight months away. :)

balthasar_s wrote:But remember, rnk¹, bftf and bsta are different, independent worlds even if you see the same characters, things, names, etc.
For example, in each the moon base has a different history.
This will probably not be the last Time you have to remind me of this - I find it surprisingly hard to get my head around. Maybe that makes sense, given how Time travel always throws me for a loop as well. Ohhhh... wait a second... Time travel is why they have to be independent worlds, isn't it?

Eternal Density wrote:Eh, I was mostly going on about which capital cities of Australian states I'd been to...
Spoiler:
(all of them), which I'd only seen briefly (the western most one) and which I saw when I was too young to really remember much (the central two, the southern of which we only barely skirted on the way to the northern one). And also I went through a few different versions of my feelings about driving, which I really wasn't sure about since I imagined I rather dislike driving but that's only partly true and is very circumstantial. Also there was a part about family camping trips which ended in me deciding I was being ungrateful and selfish.
Spoiler:

Research for mage stones is going well today. Various googling and wikiing lead me to discover 'Dampfspeicherlokomotive' :D
Well, that's a cool thing I had no idea existed....

addams wrote:She had a Rough day today.
To be fair, so did I. (snow)
But, how goes the Adventure?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Hochdruckdampfspeicherloks are cool"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 am UTC

Camping:
Spoiler:
We seem to camp quite often, maybe every couple of years, sometimes more than that. Some of my family have already camped one night this year, but I was among those who didn't because while I do like cycling I'm not interested in cycling up Mount Kosciusco (the highest point in Australia, though you have to walk the last stage for conservation reasons) carrying camping gear just to see the sun rise particularly early for Australia Day.

I'm told we're all going camping next month, tacked on to the end of a trip to see some family and stay in their friends' beach house or something like that for a week. I don't remember all the details but I don't really need them. All I need to know is that I'm told I'm going :P I'm sure it'll be great and all but it does irk me slightly to be told when and were my vacations are :P But now I have this molpish lapleopard so I'll be able to do plenty of writing while I'm away.

Speaking of writing, I reworked the opening paragraphs of the prologue. It goes something like this:

Spoiler:
Forrester's Crossing was a town bustling with activity. Even out on the bottom end of Cherry Lane, Robert J. Wilison could clearly hear the comfortable clamour of every passing second. The flow of time was marked by the sawing of a carpenter as he finished up the day's final project, the incessant background rattle of chains around geared wheels,, and the ticking of his pocket-watch. These were occasionally punctuated by a distant shout, the knocking of expanding or contracting metal, or the hissing whisper of escaping steam. Five o'clock drew steadily nearer, at which point his patrol mates would be late. That would be unacceptable.

Wilison was not an impatient man, but he did expect punctuality for any task of such vital importance as patrolling the outskirts of the town. It was no mere formality, as the fall of Nearton's Bend five months ago had dramatically proven. Wilison would do his utmost to protect his hometown and his family, and he expected no less from the other men in his patrol of three. That included arriving at the meeting point on time, as a bare minimum. He firmly believed that not a single minute of precious daylight should be wasted.

Today, Wilison had happened to be ready for his patrol a few minutes early, as he'd completed his business in the general store sooner than anticipated. While he could have filled the extra time browsing the store, the shop idle assistants were chattering loudly. He hated unnecessary noise almost as much as he hated being made to wait, which was very much indeed. As a farmer, he valued the daylight even more than most honest men. Earning greater hatred from Wilison would require a person to do something extreme, such as endanger his family, question the holy writings or dictates of the clerics, or fall to evil and betray humanity for power - all of which were much the same thing.

The crunch of leather boots on the reddish gravel announced the arrival of Tomas Friche even before the man rounded the corner of the milliner's shop. To Wilison's disappointment, he was alone.

“Good evening to you, Friche. Where is Shenks?” Wilison asked once Friche was within conversational range. “I thought he was working with you in the railway warehouse today, no?” Friche was a refugee from Nearton's Bend, and was generally more responsible than Shenks.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

balthasar_s

Re: Attachmenpms

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
mrob27 wrote:I couldn't do it last yip, and apparently it still isn't allowed. (I mean for normal users like us. It was true at one point that some users could use the flash tag, because I found a post with such a tag. Perhaps mods have such permission).
I don't think it's just about permission.
The attachments are being post attachments and that's an important part of their nature.
Go to the attachment management page and you'll see that each attachment is bound (forever) with with a post.
PM attachments if existed would be a different thing. But then the management page would be called differently, right?
Do we know any forums (phpBB, not something else) where PM attachments are real things?
It's no longer true.
We can have attachments in PMs now!
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:29 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:I believe the original song is forever lost to us, but this remake, by the same artist, is even better.
Just Google "we love the thread of Time"
He is in a band now, and their debut album is quite good, I just wish it came in vinyl.

The original version was literally just the first half of the new version. There was no point in keeping it as it appears in the second version in its entirety anyway, plus a whole new second verse.

We'd love to do a vinyl, but it's expensive to produce and we're not quite at that level yet.

I remember there used to be a similar argument about publishing books. Then Amazon came along with on-demand book publishing and now it no longer really matters how big the audience is. I wonder whether there is anyone doing on-demand vinyl yet?

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

RSIR
Spoiler:
all_you_can_eat.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:46 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I remember there used to be a similar argument about publishing books. Then Amazon came along with on-demand book publishing and now it no longer really matters how big the audience is. I wonder whether there is anyone doing on-demand vinyl yet?
Their "self-publishing" service is Kindle-only, as far as I can tell. I somehow don't think that digital vinyl is going to catch on.

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

taixzo wrote:Image
:azule:
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Postby HES » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I somehow don't think that digital vinyl is going to catch on.

Sure it will, you just have to market it right!
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

For reasons that were unclear to me, one of the things in my house growing up, that I thought was terribly treeish was a Recoton Cutting Needle, still sealed in its tiny little box. It was one of my Treasures. I kept it in a jewellery box on a bed of cotton.

Maybe when I finally go through those two cases of 78s in storage, I'll find that my Dad recorded something - that'd be treeish.

Must molpy down. Yawn.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1830

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:00 pm UTC

SHIVERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I WILL NOT SCHIZOBLITZ THIS CUEGANITE -- IT IS MEG-A-LIKE

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:17 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

Treeish! :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

Well played.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I believe the original song is forever lost to us, but this remake, by the same artist, is even better.
Just Google "we love the thread of Time"
He is in a band now, and their debut album is quite good, I just wish it came in vinyl.

That's quite amazing. The song is even better than I imagined. It does suggest that either Blitzgirl or someone else made/will make a new "I love..." comic strip. I wonder if making this song influenced yappobiscuit to join a band.

Also, I'm a bit perplexed about the notification system. Did past blitzers not have it? It seems that blitzers of the past were oblivious that people of the future present were talking about them. Were they simply disciplined enough not to check notifications or did notifications not exist back then?

Signpost: Currently on NP 569 of 2558. Cuegan are... wait for it... walking. I came upon this incredible graph of quotes that miraculously still exists. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg Zoom in to 500% for best effect. The browser will take a while to adjust.
NP= NewPage
np= newpix

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:46 am UTC

TheGhost wrote:Also, I'm a bit perplexed about the notification system. Did past blitzers not have it?
Nope, that arrived with the fora upgrade to phpBB 3.1 last yip.

phpBB 3.2 is posed to bring a few more improvements.

TheGhost wrote:I came upon this incredible graph of quotes that miraculously still exists. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg Zoom in to 500% for best effect. The browser will take a while to adjust.
Neat, it's the first one!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 am UTC

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Vinyl On Demand Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 am UTC

Connect to server and see who is online

There are two people online: artificialPerpendicularity (AP) and theLuckyFinder (TLF).
Who will you try to contact first?

TUNO: 36

Treeish! I wonder if this artificialPerpendicularity remembers having spoken to us a half year ago.

I'm such a dork - I totally missed taixzo's steakish OTTercomic until it was quoted. How'd that happen? Maybe "steakish" isn't the right word here though... better stick to "treeish".
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am UTC

These are the "digital vinyl" that macraw83 mentioned, they are cut or engraved using a 44.1 khz sample rate digital file instead of pressed from analogue audio, and while I think it's super cool that you can order up a custom made record at very little cost, they have none of the advantages over CDs that a quality pressing does, aside from nostalgia.

Making a good vinyl album is a long, difficult process. Even if you already have 24 bit recordings, the tracks need to be rearranged to put the ones with more highs close to the outside, bass has to be converted to mono, volume will likely have to be adjusted, lacquer masters and test pressings have to be made and evaluated, and the minimum order size is usually between 500 and 1000 because of the expense of making the dies.
You got lucky: This was a lot longer before I deleted it after I got ninjad on the ong and had to rewrite it.
New OtherComic.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:44 am UTC

But what if Vinylify's "audio rack that converts the digital sound into analog" is Something Special?
Spoiler:
I am not an audiophile by any stretch, but I've known a few. One guy I know claims that you should spend the price of a car on every component of your system. I remember hearing something about his power supply... I wish I could remember what... but it made us wonder if it had any purpose if he wasn't going to upgrade the national power grid and transmission lines.

Another guy I used to know wasn't nearly as hard core, but still more into his system than anything else in his life. I remember selling his Harmonic Tech single-crystal copper wire speaker cables online for him after someone talked him into a local silver product. I tried them out at home as well - couldn't hear a difference from my budget wires. Couldn't see a difference either when I piped a signal through them to the oscilloscope. Suspected there wasn't one.

But then... there was some thousand-plus CD player he had me fetch from some company-in-a-garage in Southern California. I was skeptical of that purchase too, but when he started A/B'ing it with his previous quality player, most tracks were... similar, but then, there was one - baobabs! It was like that CD player did to that track what elemental crystals have done to Torgos. Anyways... that's my long-winded way of pondering that maybe if Vinylify's DAC is awesomeful enough, maybe it could undigitalify those files enough to let the vinyl use its voice. I mean, if I could 'bake in' what that CD player did to that one track, that would have a lot more than novelty value.

Gingercat, those otters... so much d'awww. :)

I forgot to mention it at the Time, but a while back Two Words made it through the complete alphabet. Not in order though.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:27 am UTC

ggh wrote:. Anyways... that's my long-winded way of pondering that maybe if Vinylify's DAC is awesomeful enough, maybe it could undigitalify those files enough to let the vinyl use its voice.
From how I see the problem is not that it's digital but it's the number of bits and sample rate. If they're higher than the vinyl-cutting device's precision then digitalness is no longer relevant.
One Cut Vinyl's FAQ says "Ideally, send us your digital audio files as WAV or AIFF (preferably 24bit 96kHz), but don’t up-sample".
If you have all the tracks the music was made from and they are good enough then you can prepare it for vinyl very well.

But I might be completely wrong. It is not my topic.

ggh wrote:I forgot to mention it at the Time, but a while back Two Words made it through the complete alphabet. Not in order though.
And to think that I was afraid that this game will not work with English language...
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:11 pm UTC

Sufficiently high bit rates are indistinguishable from analogue.
He/Him/His Image

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:From how I see the problem is not that it's digital but it's the number of bits and sample rate.

Right, with a CD your bit depth is usually 16, with a sample rate of 44.1, good recording equipment outputs 24 bit with a sample rate of 96 or 192, which humans cannot distinguish from analogue.
But even with high sample rate audio, cut vinyl isn't as good as pressed. The plastic used is less durable, and the record blank vibrates slightly as it is cut, which is translated to noise in the playback.
When making pressed records, the audio is cut into a soft nitrocellulose lacquer on an aluminum disk using a heated stylus, thus eliminating unwanted vibration as much as possible.
ggh wrote:...Harmonic Tech single-crystal copper wire speaker cables online for him after someone talked him into a local silver product. I tried them out at home as well - couldn't hear a difference from my budget wires. Couldn't see a difference either when I piped a signal through them to the oscilloscope. Suspected there wasn't one.
For some reason, there is a huge demand for ridiculously overpriced speaker wire. In my experience, as long as you have 12ga. wire (I use 10 on my subs), it doesn't matter whether you get the 50¢/foot generic copper wire or the cryogenicly treated, non-inductive, magnetically shielded ribbon cable unless you have really long runs between the amp and drivers, and the music volume is kept very low. I use "oxygen free" wire because it won't corrode as quickly as standard copper, but for the first few years, it will sound no different than, say, a power cord stolen off a lamp. There is a slight difference in impedance between copper, and silver or gold wire, but since most music was recorded using plain Jane copper cables, I really don't see the point.
I was influenced at an impressionable young age by someone who is obsessed with high fidelity audio, I sometimes wish I could go back to when I enjoyed low qual mp3s played on a cheap radio.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

Greetings, Time;
My Adventure is still 'In Progress'.
GnomeAnne has the UpDates.

If I disappear into the Smith River Canyon,
GnomeAnne may show you photos of where I went.

Off I Go!

I'll let you know...
If I make it back to the Ocean.

Addams
(your shirt-tail Poster)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:

These are the "digital vinyl" that macraw83 mentioned, they are cut or engraved using a 44.1 khz sample rate digital file instead of pressed from analogue audio, and while I think it's super cool that you can order up a custom made record at very little cost, they have none of the advantages over CDs that a quality pressing does, aside from nostalgia.

Making a good vinyl album is a long, difficult process. Even if you already have 24 bit recordings, the tracks need to be rearranged to put the ones with more highs close to the outside, bass has to be converted to mono, volume will likely have to be adjusted, lacquer masters and test pressings have to be made and evaluated, and the minimum order size is usually between 500 and 1000 because of the expense of making the dies.
You got lucky: This was a lot longer before I deleted it after I got ninjad on the ong and had to rewrite it.
New OtherComic.
Actually, when I said that, I was imagining something more like a fully digital file, but with the stereotypical pops and scratches added either digitally or by recording the output of a vinyl album, similar to how Kindles these days approximate the feel of reading a book with the high-res e-ink screens and paper-like backgrounds but aren't really the same because you're tapping a screen instead of flipping pages. It is pretty treeish that you can have your favorite music pressed onto an album, but I wonder how much time they spend to optimize the sound of the record based on the audio they receive.

GnomeAnne wrote:
ggh wrote:...Harmonic Tech single-crystal copper wire speaker cables online for him after someone talked him into a local silver product. I tried them out at home as well - couldn't hear a difference from my budget wires. Couldn't see a difference either when I piped a signal through them to the oscilloscope. Suspected there wasn't one.
For some reason, there is a huge demand for ridiculously overpriced speaker wire. In my experience, as long as you have 12ga. wire (I use 10 on my subs), it doesn't matter whether you get the 50¢/foot generic copper wire or the cryogenicly treated, non-inductive, magnetically shielded ribbon cable unless you have really long runs between the amp and drivers, and the music volume is kept very low. I use "oxygen free" wire because it won't corrode as quickly as standard copper, but for the first few years, it will sound no different than, say, a power cord stolen off a lamp. There is a slight difference in impedance between copper, and silver or gold wire, but since most music was recorded using plain Jane copper cables, I really don't see the point.
I was influenced at an impressionable young age by someone who is obsessed with high fidelity audio, I sometimes wish I could go back to when I enjoyed low qual mp3s played on a cheap radio.
Even if you increase the length of wire, if you increase the gage of the wire accordingly it stays roughly equivalent. A 7m long 12ga wire should sound identical to a 10m long 10ga wire, for example.

In any case, the demand is there because people are susceptible to marketing, especially if they don't understand the underlying physics or believe those that actually do understand. It's the same reason that Monster Cable can get away with selling 10ft HDMI cables for $100, just because they are made of platinum and platinum seems better than gold or copper. What these people don't understand is that this $100 HDMI 1.4b-compliant cable is functionally identical to any other HDMI 1.4b-compliant cable on the market, including ones more than an order of magnitude cheaper.

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm UTC

I've never seen a HDMI cable on the high street for less than £12. I buy the same thing online for a tenth of that.

People are idiots and stores will milk that.
He/Him/His Image

GnomeAnne

Re: 1190: "vinyl"

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm UTC

I imagine rf interference could become a problem on long runs without shielded or balanced cables, but I've never run into that, so I don't know.
macraw83 wrote:Actually, when I said that, I was imagining something more like a fully digital file, but with the stereotypical pops and scratches added either digitally or by recording the output of a vinyl album
Ah. Yes, That would have a hard time catching on.

The first hdmi cable I bought was a redmere cable with gold plated connectors and a bunch of fancy advertising. At the time I thought 3D wouldn't work as well on a standard 100' cable without a repeater, but it was probably a waste of money.

ETA, since I hate perpetuating misconceptions, I will clarify: silver is slightly more conductive than copper, gold is not. The reason gold is used on terminals is that it doesn't corrode.
Are there really cables made from platinum? I always assumed it was just a naming convention. Platinum is a terrible conductor.
Wait For It.

macraw83

Re: 1190: "vinyl"

Postby macraw83 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I imagine rf interference could become a problem on long runs without shielded or balanced cables, but I've never run into that, so I don't know.
I suppose that could be the case, but at the very least each HDMI spec has a shielding spec, in the sense that it must withstand some level of RF interference just for them to be able to market it as an HDMI cable of a given spec, whether that's 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, etc, regardless of whether it is 2' or 100' in length. An HDMI cable either it works or it doesn't: it carries ones and zeros, and is rated for a given bitrate of those ones and zeros, and is therefore capable of switching between those ones and zeros at the required rate or it does not (and doesn't provide a coherent picture at all), and if the receiver detects any errors then it does not display the image.

GnomeAnne wrote:ETA, since I hate perpetuating misconceptions, I will clarify: silver is slightly more conductive than copper, gold is not. The reason gold is used on terminals is that it doesn't corrode.
Are there really cables made from platinum? I always assumed it was just a naming convention. Platinum is a terrible conductor.
Seems like you're right. Not being one to ever take a second glance at Monster cables, all I ever noticed was that the name contained "Platinum", and assumed that they put platinum in the connector somewhere as a gimmick. I had also forgotten that platinum was so more resistive than copper and gold.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Anne wrote:I imagine rf interference could become a problem on long runs without shielded or balanced cables, but I've never run into that, so I don't know.

I suppose that could be the case, but at the very least each HDMI spec has a shielding spec
That was in response to this:
macraw83 wrote:Even if you increase the length of wire, if you increase the gage of the wire accordingly it stays roughly equivalent. A 7m long 12ga wire should sound identical to a 10m long 10ga wire, for example.
hdmi and three wire balanced or shielded audio should be fine over relatively long distances where two wire audio might pick up a bit of distortion or interference.
macraw83 wrote:Not being one to ever take a second glance at Monster cables, all I ever noticed was that the name contained "Platinum", and assumed that they put platinum in the connector somewhere as a gimmick.
I wouldn't put it past them, there are companies that charge extra for wire that has been frozen because the cold makes the copper molecules "align" and they supposedly conduct sound better. See above:
HES wrote:People are idiots and stores will milk that.

I didn't watch the OTTer video until now, it is indeed very d'awww.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I somehow don't think that digital vinyl is going to catch on.

Digital vinyl.
The first thing I imagined was cutting the 0s and 1s in the vinyl...

ggh wrote:[...]claims that you should spend the price of a car on every component of your system.
car-priced sound system component.
I wouldn't buy a car-proced... car :)

Speaking of audio cables, in this post, in the reenactments, especially this one you can see a black cable that goes from the bottom, behind the clock, to the right. That's the cable that connects the right speaker to the radio.
Yes, the calendar really hangs on the audio cable.
There is only one nail on the whole wall so if you want to hang more things you have to be creative.

ggh wrote:About the bicycle... yes I was hoping for 16 colours, but there were only 8. I can't really do that fancy colour map stuff, but I individually separated all the colours. There wasn't as much overlap as I'd hoped - for example, a white pixel in one image might be white or grey in the other, but never brown or black. Then I recoloured according to my own whim.

If I had attached that image, you would have seen my eight chosen colours. I probably should have stopped there. But it's always so tempting to throw a blur or two or three over something and then mix that back with the original to soften the harshness and flare up the highlights a bit. Really, in this case I should have resisted, it didn't accomplish much and it kinda darkened the already dark trees.
One of my first thoughts was that you also used the original picture. But the OTT doesn't have the original picture.

From all possible files that could have been there, ro(ew).iff are those that actually appear on the bsta frame.

addams wrote:
I rather dislike driving but that's only partly true and is very circumstantial.
Even the ambivalence.That is more data!
You are somewhat ambivalent about driving.

More data to support the hypothesis, "It's an American Thing."
The Love of The Open Road is Learned!
So driving is the topic now.
I didn't really like it.
But,
The number of times I drove a car (not counting the time when I was learning it) is small enough to count on fingers.
The last time was at the beginning of 2011.
Because I wear glasses I received a driving license limited to 5 years. It expired almost one and half year ago.
It can easily be renewed for the next 15 years.
I still haven't done it.
I didn't need this.

ETA: A question:
We have seen that Beanies have some optical devices.
So, if they can make such things,
Is it possible for a Beanie to wear glasses?
BSTA

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:We have seen that Beanies have some optical devices.

Counter-question: Given the seemingly much lower populations densities, is it possible for the genetic faults that result in glasses being required to have been "bred out" of the Beanie population through natural selection (such as keyboard attacks on those with poor vision before they get the chance to breed)?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:ETA: A question:
We have seen that Beanies have some optical devices.

This probably doesn't quite answer the question in the way you intended.

IMG_5186croppedfull.jpg

ETA There are prescription glasses behind the sunglasses. So there exist people who wear a beanie and TWO pairs of glasses. (I also have more than one beanie, but it is not often that I wear more than one simultaneously.)

ETA2 Replaced photo with better version

RSIR

Spoiler:
roolly troolly redundant since I have no Time for redundacats right at this moment

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Poker Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:30 am UTC

In response to the audio discussion, I have to say

Sauce: http://sunligerlynn.tumblr.com/post/119 ... rs-playing
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 am UTC

I purchased a gimp 2.0 install disk from a secondhand electronics shop several years ago and never used it until I made Addams' wOTTerfal picture, I have just discovered that the gimp program can be downloaded for free, so I have version 2.8 now! It is easier to do layer masks than in 2.0, so I made a new copy of roewe that is better than what I could do before.
Seaish version:
Spoiler:
row2.png

Hi DrSamCarter!

Steakish OTTer picture, is that concept art for the album cover?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

a message to the future to let you all know that I am not actually basemented. I've just been slowly sinking backwards in time due to getting bogged down in timeposts,:>^{14} and the implication was clear: Tornater was trying to impersonate all three great dragons simultaneously.
  There are a great many old Beanish tales about dragons. It is said, for example, that dragons can simultaneously occupy seven coördinates in Spaaace-Time. This is sheer Madness. A dragon can inhabit only three spots, as seen from its own

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "A Test of Dragons"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 am UTC

*edits previous post to credit artist*

In vanillacoffeebaconiceicebaby news, yesterday I had a CT scan performed and some blood taken, and tomorrow my oncologist will hopefully tell me all remains molpish.

*forgets to post post and is slowly previewninja'd by Mister Star Bdex*

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:

Counter-question: Given the seemingly much lower populations densities, is it possible for the genetic faults that result in glasses being required to have been "bred out" of the Beanie population through natural selection (such as keyboard attacks on those with poor vision before they get the chance to breed)?

I don't think it quite works that way. For instance, presbyopia usually occurs after childbearing age, and there would still be no evolutionary incentive to deal with that. Rosetta may still need bifocals.

Though the incidence of nearsightedness may still be substantially lower given it may have to do with a lack of exposure to bright light. Go play outside, kids.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Tie"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 am UTC

thunk wrote:
Gingercat wrote:

I don't think it quite works that way. For instance, presbyopia usually occurs after childbearing age, and there would still be no evolutionary incentive to deal with that. Rosetta may still need bifocals.
Also, natural selection is a pretty blunt tool. It can only operate on expressed traits, which are a fair way removed from the actual genes. And natural selection has no concept of what is or is not a genetic fault, just what happens to work out in the current environment. Fitness is not absolute. While the fittest survive, they're only deemed the fittest because they survived, not because they are better in a systematic structural way. I mean, the survivors are by no means guaranteed to be the 'best engineered', or the most flexible to future environmental changes. In the right environment, it's a survival advantage for fish to be blind. Thus you can technically be correct in saying that in that case, the mutations that were expressed as blindness were beneficial mutations, even though the result of the mutations was the break eye development. But back to Beanies and keyboard attacks...

A lot of genetic and non-genetic factors contribute to the quality of eyesight. And many different traits - and a lot of non genetic factors - contribute to survival of keyboard attacks. High keyboard predation may not actually give a high survival differential between Beanies with good and poor eyesight. And even if it did, intelligent Beanies with poor eyesight are going to learn other keyboad avoidance tactics long before the keyboards can remove a significant proportion of bad eyesight genes from the genepool.

Besides, natural selection's going to be pretty busy just getting rid of the worst of the 100 to 200 new mutations each Beanie passes on to xer offspring, when they express themselves. With a smaller gene pool that may be more often. Actually, that's likely to be a higher number of mutations due to the bluenhancement levels. And some of those new mutations are also going to contribute the poor eyesight, and will reduce keyboard survival - and general survival - in other ways.

If you have a high death rate - or rather a high non-reproduction rate - you also need a correspondingly high birth rate among those Beanies which do get to produce. Otherwise you're going to run out of Beanies.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:45 pm UTC

TheGhost wrote:
Also, I'm a bit perplexed about the notification system. Did past blitzers not have it? It seems that blitzers of the past were oblivious that people of the future present were talking about them. Were they simply disciplined enough not to check notifications or did notifications not exist back then?

I think your first guess is a very good guess.
The Notification System is New.

Signpost: Currently on NP 569 of 2558. Cuegan are... wait for it... walking. I came upon this incredible graph of quotes that miraculously still exists. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg Zoom in to 500% for best effect. The browser will take a while to adjust.
This, TheGhost, my dear Poster, is Amazing.
I would have never thought of Zooming In.
Thank you for giving us directions.

oh...The Storm rages on outside my windows.
(Waa!) It blew my 300+ pound Throne partway into a gully.
Spoiler:
It took Two Big Men and a Woman (not me) to unload it.
I don't know enough Real Life people to pick it up.

Yet; Somehow...Someway;
It will stand, again, Someday.
5:30 am. The wind stopped.
It's so quiet.

Is the storm over?
Or; Is this the eye?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:56 pm UTC

addams wrote:oh...The Storm rages on outside my windows.
(Waa!) It blew my 300+ pound Throne partway into a gully.
Oh no! That was some storm!
You need a friend with a tirfor.

Sometimes I need a friend with a tirfor too, but I'm not sure how to meet them.
So many dating sites. So few meet-unromantic-folks-with-tools sites.

balthasar_s wrote:Digital vinyl.
The first thing I imagined was cutting the 0s and 1s in the vinyl...
Tee-hee! :D

From all possible files that could have been there, ro(ew).iff are those that actually appear on the bsta frame.
What do rowe and roew mean?

The number of times I drove a car (not counting the time when I was learning it) is small enough to count on fingers.
The last time was at the beginning of 2011.
Because I wear glasses I received a driving license limited to 5 years. It expired almost one and half year ago.
It can easily be renewed for the next 15 years.
I still haven't done it.
I didn't need this.
Another data point! Addams, your hypothesis is looking good!

Well-played Sam! And nice to see you!

Ooh, GnomeAnne - I like that rower. Warmer. Ahhh. :)

thunk wrote:I don't think it quite works that way. For instance, presbyopia usually occurs after childbearing age, and there would still be no evolutionary incentive to deal with that. Rosetta may still need bifocals.

Though the incidence of nearsightedness may still be substantially lower given it may have to do with a lack of exposure to bright light. Go play outside, kids.
I was taught that the decline in dioptre range we can see is the most consistent indicator of ageing. Then it was demonstrated: we measured everyone's range in the Perception class, and mine stood out as low. I had returned to university and was 26 or 27 when I took that class, while the other students were in the 18-22 range. I did not necessarily look the oldest, but already declining eyesight was giving me away. Lenses harden.

More later.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”