The "Awesome Things You Have Made" Thread! NSF 56k

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: The "Awesome Things You Have Made" Thread! NSF 56k

Postby plytho » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

4 year necro for my concrete-copper candle holders:

Spoiler:
Without candles:
IMG_20161229_010827-min.jpg

I made the one on the left first and had some trouble with the concrete mixture. When I took it out of the mold (too soon) part of it broke. I don't mind too much because now it looks more industrial.

With burning candles:
IMG_20170220_211716-min.jpg
IMG_20170220_211801-min.jpg
he him his

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

They look pretty cool. That break was a lucky accident apparently, it looks like it was intentional.
I enjoy making stuff as well, but it's usually small electronic thingamajigs and those don't have much in terms of good looks. I also have a lot of plans for which I don't yet have the tools, knowledge or time to even start them. Anyhow, looking through my files I found photos of a model railway layout module I made last year. It's not quite finished yet, a lot of small details (more vegetation, signs and such) are missing still and the grass could use a little more work. What you see was done in about a month and then the project halted due to university stuff.
Spoiler:
IMG_0283 (Custom).JPG

I am quite proud ot the trackwork, this was my first attempt at making a track bed.
IMG_0282 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0280 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0279 (Custom).JPG

I messed up the river part by adding too much paint to the resin, making it way to green in my opinion.
write something... that says something... about something
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind. ✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:They look pretty cool. That break was a lucky accident apparently, it looks like it was intentional.

Thanks.

I enjoy making stuff as well, but it's usually small electronic thingamajigs and those don't have much in terms of good looks. I also have a lot of plans for which I don't yet have the tools, knowledge or time to even start them. Anyhow, looking through my files I found photos of a model railway layout module I made last year. It's not quite finished yet, a lot of small details (more vegetation, signs and such) are missing still and the grass could use a little more work. What you see was done in about a month and then the project halted due to university stuff.

I like the way the ploughed fields look beside the track. Very impressive overall.
he him his

djangochained

Postby djangochained » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am UTC

somitomi wrote:They look pretty cool. That break was a lucky accident apparently, it looks like it was intentional.
Spoiler:
IMG_0283 (Custom).JPG
I am quite proud ot the trackwork, this was my first attempt at making a track bed.
IMG_0282 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0280 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0279 (Custom).JPG
I messed up the river part by adding too much paint to the resin, making it way to green in my opinion.

I like it. pretty well done:)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

plytho wrote:I like the way the ploughed fields look beside the track. Very impressive overall.

djangochained wrote:I like it. pretty well done:)

Thank you both. I might have something more to post here later, if repainting model railway cars counts as "making something". I decided to buy an airbrush, because the list of projects waiting because I can't paint them got long enough to justify it.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind. ✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

Here's another thing I made:

It's an LED cube based on intructions found here: link.
I built it with a friend a couple of years ago. It's a bit banged up and a couple of connections need resoldering but other than that it still works fine.
As you can see we connected a NES controller, that's because we programmed a 3D version of snake to run on the cube.
Spoiler:
Cube with NES controller:
IMG_20170321_170446.jpg
Start up screen with level select. The double row of LED's represents 8 speed settings.
IMG_20170321_170209.jpg
This is what you see after dying, it shows the final length of the snake.
IMG_20170321_170401.jpg
I can't really show the game in action because I can't make a clear picture with the LED's burning on multiple levels.
he him his

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:02 pm UTC

Cool, the NES controller is a nice touch. Are there cheat codes?

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

No cheat codes, it's a very simple program. I guess I could have the Konami code display a "you win" animation. I'll have to figure out the code again first :)
he him his

the apprentice

Postby the apprentice » Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:Bronze sculpture:

Hearts

Oversized Letterpress Bookends

Self Portrait

Hi

Please could you tell me what you used to make the master mould.

the apprentice

Postby the apprentice » Fri May 05, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

Hi

I am a retired engineer tool maker and have been looking for this kind of thread to share my ideas and pictures of what I have made.
Can someone advise if one needs to have a certain amount of posts before you can show them?.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

the apprentice wrote:Hi

I am a retired engineer tool maker and have been looking for this kind of thread to share my ideas and pictures of what I have made.
Can someone advise if one needs to have a certain amount of posts before you can show them?.

Rules thread. Five posts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

the apprentice

Postby the apprentice » Sat May 06, 2017 11:53 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
the apprentice wrote:Hi

Rules thread. Five posts.

Many thaks Talon.

the apprentice

Postby the apprentice » Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

Here is something I made several years ago after my leather and shoemakers course.

An adjustable leather strap cutter, it has a cam operated clamp for fast adjustment between widths of 12 to 80 millimeter. The handle I turned from burr hazel with a hand rolled Sterling ferrule. The blade was made from a section of recycled industrial hacksaw blade.

She has a hold down roller which runs across the entire width of cut itself adjustable from zero to 6.00 mm thick. Mainly brass with an odd piece of PB102 Bronze.

Being keen gardeners for a decade or so now, here are a couple of wooden objects I made last year for our allotment. An Amish style wheelbarrow made from recycled timbers, including the proper wooden wheel and removeable sides so it can be used as a flat bogie.

And as we call them here in Yorkshire, A Settle, or garden chair made from birch plywood sides cut by jigsaw and standard 50 X 25 mm roofing lathes which have had their upper edges rounded over to prevent knifing.

While everyone was watching Zulu on the box for the umpteenth time this new year holidays I ventured into the workshop to knock together this my own version of an artificial inseminating apparatus from queen honey bees.

It's loosely based on the original Laidlaw system of American fame with a few of my own ideas thrown into the throng.

It has also a built in hydraulic syringe that I made to do the insertion stage.

It works very well indeed, there are also a few short videos of the delicate operational stages on YouTube if anyone here is a beekeeper.

I saved well over 3k by making this myself.

If anyone is interested in can add links to the whole global step by step building program.

Please don't multi-post when one one will do it. Also, removing the weird postimage referral links while at it. -Moderator

Return to “Your art and links”