1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

svenman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby svenman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

addams wrote:Svenman?
Did I say Thank You, enough?

Aww. It's a pleasure. You're with us, sharing much of your life and your thoughts with us - and I'm sure I can speak for pretty much all of us when I say we're grateful to you for that.

TheGhost wrote:
svenman wrote:[*]Invitation (PDF file)

Do that many of you live in Germany?

Only a few of us. But most of the OTTers who came came from outside Germany, many even from outside Europe. It helped that the OTTercon took the form of a bona fide scientific conference and Sustainabilizer's department therefore was able to help with travel costs.

Hope you and your Mom get better soon, Link!

Storytime: One morning this wip, when I left my home for my still newish FFS, I put on my coat and a cap. Stepping outside the door, I found it drizzling, so I took out and opened my umbrella, and because it was pretty mild, I chose to take off my cap and stuck it in my coat pocket. After a visit to a bakery, I boarded a tram, changed trams at a busy stop in the town centre, and then approached the stop where I had to get off for FFS. Noticing that it had stopped raining, I decided not to use the umbrella again, reached for my cap in my coat pocket, and... found nothing. Quick look around, nothing - I had lost my cap out of my coat pocket and I had before getting into that second tram. Now the cap hadn't been expensive, it was not a big deal to lose it, but it fit me well and I had liked having it, so I felt unmolpish about losing it, and no less so considering I had previously been aware that my habit of sticking my cap in my coat pocket when not wearing it was a risky one. I decided it was most likely I had lost it on the first tram of that dip or while changing trams, in which case there would be little chance to retrieve it, at least not soon. But there was a chance I had lost it on the way to the first tram, in which case there was a chance I could find it again that evening.

So that evening, returning from FFS, I decided to precisely retrace my steps from that morning on the way back from the tram stop to my apartment and watch the ground closely, even if I didn't really expect anything to come of it, just to cover my bases. Just half a block away from the tram stop, I noticed an odd dark object stuck in a fence, a little off the ground. I took a closer look - and it looked a lot like my cap. I took it and examined it. It was my cap. Against my expectations, I had lost it that early in my way that morning, some kind soul had noticed it and put it somewhere off the ground where it still was easy to notice, and because the rain hadn't returned all dip, the cap was even dry, and still clean. All unmolpish feelings I had had about the whole affair were replaced by very molpish ones. Mostly thanks to some person who I probably don't know, and whose identity I'll never know.

Edit: Aaand that makes me pagepope again. Decree: Perform some small act to make the world around you just a little better, be it for someone particular, for someone anonymous or just for the public at large.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

aww. gee. What a very OTTer decree.
You make me Proud to be associated.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:40 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Does anyone else ever just feel...burnt out on everything? I've gone nowhere on Molpymania (the OTTified Pokemon Go-esque game) for the past four moths despite knowing exactly what I need to do next; I just can't get up the willpower to work on it. Same for all other projects I have, OTT-related or not.
Sorry for off-topic, but I feel like I should have been contributing more, and wanted to at least explain my mental state.

Constantly. Hence why I never do anything ever any more.
ggh wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Todip is our Bard'sbiscuits birthdip! Barddip?
Happy Barddip to you!
Happy Barddip to you!
Happy Barddip dear yappo -
Happy Barddip to you!
Spoiler:

addams wrote:Happy for the World your Mother brought you into it, YappoBiscuits!

Thanks :D It was a very uneventful Barddip. Didn't really do or get anything. Which is normal for Barddips these days. I did have a band practise, which I suppose is appropriate for a Barddip.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

svenman wrote:I decided to precisely retrace my steps [...] Just half a block away from the tram stop, I noticed an odd dark object stuck in a fence [...] It was my cap.
A seaish number of yips ago I went to Yugoslavia on a concert tour. (I used to sing in choir - very molpish for me, perhaps a bit less so for the audience. :) ) Zagreb (the capital) has a main area that is walled in and pedestrian only, and I went wandering through the little shops there. I found a beautiful silver filligree pin and bought it for my girlfriend back home (whom I have since married). She was utterly thrilled.

Anyway, she wore it on a little adventure we had in which we drove around visiting a bunch of local manor houses and museums. Alas, none of them were mustard museums, though I would not have appreciated it at the Time. In any case, it was getting dark when she noticed that her very special pin was missing. We looked around and asked around, but it was not to be found. We'd visited quite a few places, but not to give up, we retraced our steps even though it was already getting rather dark. We drove from one manor to the next, parking where we had parked, and walking down every path where we had walked... and in one particular manor in Tarrytown (if my memory serves me, which it often doesn't) standing outside where we had gazed at something-or-other, the pin was glinting right there on the ground.

I didn't think we'd ever find it, but I wasn't going to not try; boy are we glad we did! We still have it, and it always makes us sad to think of the unmolpish things that have happened in Yugoslavia since then. We wonder whatever became of the wonderful artist who fashioned this lovely piece of art.

I also have a beanie hat, and have also stuffed it into pockets when it's not in use. However, that hat has gone missing of late. It's here someplace, and will be sure to turn up when we need it in the heat of summer. First commandment and all.

For Link and xes mum:
Spoiler:
Sana te sana, culita de rana. Si no sana hoy, te sana mañana.
Full strength.

And yes, GnomeAnne, addams and ggh sure seem to have their adventures! There are trees, deer, and a ravine where we live too. I don't climb trees, and although I've been down the ravine, it's been pretty much under my own volition and not at the mercy of the branches. And I haven't pet deer. Yet. I like venison though. And kangaroo. And ostrich. You need to be careful cooking them - they are not as sturdy as beef.

I would be interested in the rest of the tree/raptor story.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 am UTC

taixzo wrote:The OTT showed up in my dream last night. ggh was telling a story - in what started out as a post on the thread, but later became in person:
That's funny - yesterday (possibly while you were sleeping) I was looking at the OTTer map again, and I saw where you were and thought, 'gee, that's not terribly far from my US stomping grounds; maybe someday I will meet taixzo in the flesh!' And then I wondered even if I could meet taixzo, should I meet taixzo? - I know I'd want to ask about some unsolved mysteries, but that would probably be naughty.

Oh, Link - I do so hope you feel more molpish soon! Do they have Panadeine available where you live? I found that to work really well for lower back pain.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Addams:
ZoomanSP wrote:Urgent delivery for Addams:
Spoiler:

The image is a link to an article about the DEC depriving people of doughnuts.

I will finish the story sometime and send it to you.
The DEC?
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

Division for Early Childhood

The Dallas Entrepreneur Center

A-Dental Chair

I suppose, each would have its own reasons to deprive the American People of Donuts....
What in The World that has to do with me...?

I suppose I should put more effort into Keeping Up.

GnomeAnne; You have Posters clambering for 'The Rest of The Story'.
Phil Harvey...He told us 'The Rest of The Story' a long Time ago.

It is in 'the nature' of some people to tell a Story that way; You and Harvey.
Phil Harvey was a welcome guest in many homes because of the way he told a Story.

EDIT: Did I kill it, again?
darn...I must Stop that.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 am UTC

B: Hi, what's up Fred?
FTH: Don't call me Fred, balt. That's not my name,
B: Don't call me balt, that's not my name either :)
B: Anyway you could consider changing your username.
B: Most people don't understand the reference.
FTH: You won't find them here on coincidence.
FTH: What I wanted to say is this:
FTH: We're going to the city today. We could visit you when coming back.
B: I'm not prepared for this.
FTH: We're not expecting a party.
FTH: The second thing may be a little surprising to you.
TFH: The question is:
TFH: Would you like to play a game?
B: ?
FTH: The robotic madness game.

???
What happened?
Yesterday he said that he is not interested in this game at all and now this?

I don't understand the reference. :( But, 2008 is a hint?
We? FTH and his sister?
"Don't call me balt, that's not my name either" Only in an alternate universe. :)
TFH? Mustard?
Soooo - this banter is taking place in Polish.... Was Coincidence - Before: 2 in Polish?
And if it was, on Before: 3, was I speaking in Polish?

ETA: And, are the Coincidence Befores in chronological order?
(Is "chronological" a meaningful concept in BSTA?)
I thought Before: 2 was starting to make more sense, because in this ONG b suggests that FTH change his username, and in Before: 2 FTH refers to B suggesting that he change his username, but then I remembered that screenshot sent on Before: 4 is a half year before where we are in BSTA, so I'm more confused than ever. There was this though:
Before: 2 wrote:FTH: But we're in the future now.
FTH: And things have changed
B: they changed so much
which sounds a little like
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:52 am UTC

ggh wrote:I don't understand the reference. :( But, 2008 is a hint?
There was a made up character (lego) that we (I, my sisters, my cousin) called Haker Fred (Fred the hacker). He had a truck for towing cars. Such a truck ends wit a hook ("hak") that's why he was jokingly called a hacker ("haker"). I don't remember why he was called Fred. He had a brother who was constantly getting into trouble.
FTH also has a towing car. That's why he thought that it would be funny to use the name "fredTheHacker" in the land of internets and usernames. Additionally, "FTH" appeared in the registration plate of the car which makes it double related.
Later he decided that maybe he doesn't like being called Fred the Hacker so much. but he was already recognised as FTH by people from the internet so he kept using this.

Don't call me balt, that's not my name either" Only in an alternate universe. :)
B wrote: :)

TFH? Mustard?
Yes, fixed already.

Soooo - this banter is taking place in Polish.... Was Coincidence - Before: 2 in Polish
In before 2 we have B, FTH and AP. And in BSTA 52 and 55 we could see B and AP writing in English.

And if it was, on Before: 3, was I speaking in Polish?
Wouldn't you remember this?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Wouldn't you remember this?
I'm... not... sure....?

Did you see my ETA? I don't necessarily expect you to answer, but you can't blame a girl for trying....

Whoa. Did anyone else see all those GNU Terry Pratchetts? I thought the Madness was on already.
(ETA: ah - the second anniversary of his passing. Wow, it doesn't seem so long ago. Anyways - good-on-ya, whoever that was with their finger on the filter button.)

While you're here, balthaedalus, I have a Coincidence/chat room question. In my limited experience chatting, I thought that if I wasn't joined in, I didn't see what was being said. On Before: 2 though, FTH joins and immediately responds to something AP said before FTH had joined. How does it work? What can Coincidence users see?
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Whoa. Did anyone else see all those GNU Terry Pratchetts? I thought the Madness was on already.
We've been doing it ourselves even before he died. Only we spell it UNG.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 pm UTC

excuse me...
quick blind post:

Weather Report:
Spoiler:
I opened my eyes to see Clear Skies!
I'm going back o-u-t-s-i-d-e-!-!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm UTC

addams wrote:quick blind post: [...] I opened my eyes to see Clear Skies!

How delightfully ironic! :wink:
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 pm UTC

svenman wrote:

Sometimes the only clear skies available to see are inside one's own head.

I can't say that's the case for me, however; mine usually contains rain and thunderstorms.

But that's ok; I like rain and love thunderstorms.

I've got another Goblins update to post if anyone's interested. I certainly didn't get any responses to my last Torgos update; maybe noone cares anymore?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:34 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:I've got another Goblins update to post if anyone's interested. I certainly didn't get any responses to my last Torgos update; maybe noone cares anymore?

Yes, of course we're interested! Go ahead and post it!

I, for one, often enjoy stuff without feeling an urge to comment.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:
I've got another Goblins update to post if anyone's interested.
+1 I'm certainly not a role model on how to keep a conversation alive, even if it interests me.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:06 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Gingercat wrote:
I've got another Goblins update to post if anyone's interested.
+1
+1 as well
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2855

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:00 am UTC

ENQUIRONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN YOUR MIND, REPLACE SKYCIRCLE WITH SKITCHERTS.

-- posted by randompixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am UTC

ggh, even your "uninteresting" stories are interesting.

This wipend was beautiful, warm and sunny. It looks like spring may have sprung. I'll try to send you some, addams.

Oh hai, Felstaff! Nice to see you around these parts!

Link, I am so sorry for everything you and your mum are going through. Glad the hospital is taking care of your mum, but there's no one to take care of you! :( Hope you feel molpish soon.

addams wrote:First: The Deer...
Yes, I feed some of them by hand and am able to scratch them behind the ears, on the withers and on their little antler nubs.

Yes, June Bug; It is True.
We should be discouraged from feeding wildlife.

I think we need to talk about Why.
They lose fear of people.
That puts People at risk.

No, no, I'm not worried about the people at all. If wild animals start not acting wild, they may wander into dangerous situations, people may think they're acting strangely and shoot them, whatever. I have some friends who feed raccoons. They did a lot of research about whether and how to feed them, and it seems to work. I just worry about the animals. People are usually not too good for wild animals.

TheGhost wrote:
svenman wrote:[*]Invitation (PDF file)

Do that many of you live in Germany?

Ninja'd, but Germany seems to be a good place for OTTers to go. :)

I didn't post a story on the previous NP, but here's a short story:
Spoiler:
A few wips ago, I kicked something in the middle of the night and broke my toe.

Today, I was opening the screen door so I could close the main door. (If I don't do that, I forget the screen door is closed, and try to walk through it. It's happened.) I had my hand on the door, but took a moment to realize it smelled like summer--barbecues going, warm air, etc.--and was enjoying it when I closed the door right on my thumb. The base of my thumb is now blue-purple and hurts like a m*stard-ch*rper. I really must learn to pay more attention when I'm doing things.

For decree: I don't cut my hair very often, because 1) long hair is fun for a while 2) hair cuts are expensive 3) I never have the time. But then my hair gets very long and I need to get rid of it. People seems to like my hair, so I have become a hair farm, and send my hair to one of the organizations that make wigs for women or children who have cancer or allopecia. I just cut some off, so I have two 10-inch ponytails to send off (along with two 8-inch ponytails from my last haircut almost two yips ago.) Hopefully, it will make a nice wig for someone who needs it.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 13

Postby Gingercat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 13! The theme of today's update is "And You Thought They Stank Before", where Torgos takes a peek at what his Goblins have been up to of late. He's pleasantly surprised...

<- Volume 12

The journal pages stink. Seriously. They smell, just faintly, like the result of taking scorched Goblin backhair, the filthiest swampmuck you can find, and the vomit of a Gibbering Mouther, cooked all that together into a soup, and left it in a sealed container in the sun for three months. It's written from the point of view of the Goblin leader, Scrimjaw, and the writing is even more messy than Torgos's normal scribblings, but the grammar has obviously been corrected in places before being written down. Scrimjaw's damned smart (19 Int!), but his grip on Common very occasionally falters; Torgos is more than happy to assist with this as he chronicles their lives as well as his own. Since it's from a Goblin point of view, there are some things that ordinary humans might find questionable or outright nasty, but the Goblins are completely fine with and may even celebrate. Because, y'know... Goblins.

The journal continues:

Spoiler:
I've brought the Goodfish tribe to a new area. We should be able to take care of ourselves here a lot better than the forests and plains we previously inhabited, and our contacts with the trading camp ensure that if we need to call in extra assistance to deal with roving bands of morons ("adventurers", bah!) we've got plenty of shinies from the scary Dragon-Lizard-Man to do it with. It's interesting that he still checks in with Runty from time to time; Runty always brings back more shinies, and occasionally some magic paper for me to study. It seems that DLM has some sort of interest in keeping us alive. It's a welcome change from our first meeting with him, maybe he feels bad for killing off so many of the tribe and turning their heads into swirly drink-bottles? He tells me (through Runty) that "Scrimjaw has potential! Much Booyagh, big Booyagh possible if keep learning!" which seems good. Me having big Booyagh means I keep being leader of the tribe, too scary for others to try and take my place!

Plus I have my Redcap Wizard Hat. Enchanted it myself!

{Torgos notes: Scrimjaw's cap is actually an amazing piece of enchantment; I want one.

Enchanted Redcap Wizard Hat:
Upside: Set STR to 14 (regardless of starting value)
Downside: -1 to Max HP (Constantly draws a small amount of blood from its wearer to maintain its abilities and color)
Downside: Redcap Charisma Penalty (Disadvantage on rolls in "critical" social situations and Stealth attempts)

The Redcap Charisma Penalty is quite funny. It has a good chance of causing the wearer to break out in loud, uncontrollable swearing in a Redcap's rough accent when the wearer badly needs to either be silent or courteous!}

This place we've chosen has a short, slow-moving, swampy river. No fish in it, but lots of frogs, toads and other swampy things. Taste good when cooked! Very satisfying "pop", lots of tasty juices. Lots of reeds, very useful for making things with. Some big, huge, scary creatures {Torgos notes: These are called "Catoblepas", and they are nasty beasts!} also live in the swamp, and seem to have been killing and eating some of the tribe's Pariahs who live closest to the water. That's why it's never good to be a Pariah, hah! Get stuck with all the worst jobs, worst living spots, and sometimes, you act as a danger warning to the rest of the tribe by getting eaten. Hilarious! We'll have to do something about that before we run out of Pariahs to distract them though... Besides, who would do all the yuck jobs then? Not me, I'm the Boss!

Catoblepas-5e.png
Catoblepas!

Another thing that makes this place a good settling spot (besides the risk of getting eaten) is the gigantic tree with lots of space under it, in and around its roots. Perfect place for storing our stuff. Looks like it might have been used by humans as a storage area once, it's been cleared out quite well. The tree itself is perfect for climbing up and looking around, makes an excellent lookout spot. Runty seems to enjoy climbing as high up into it as he can, then falling out of it and hitting as many branches on the way down as possible. Not sure if this is to scare away the big Pariah-eaters or if it's just Runty being Runty. The sheer amount of noise he makes would certainly make intruders scared to come near, and I like watching him bang and clang, always hoping to see him land on his head at the bottom. Sometimes he does, and he finds this funniest of all. If I'm extra bored, I try and Firebolt him on the way down. Good to work on my aim with the Fire Booyagh!

Last thing of interest nearby is the big human graves {Torgos notes: He's talking about a huge complex of crypts...}. Very old, built into the side of a big hill. I chose this spot because those will allow the tribe to hide in them and fight like rats if idiot humans come to bother us. They think "All Goblins the same, easy kill, no problem!"... We'll see how easy kill we are when they get Fire Booyagh on their stupid shiny tinheads! Rocktooth has been getting good with a bow as well, he is our main Hunter. Brings lots of strange foods back, good for when we get sick of eating toads. Is too bad there's no fish in this river. We got lots of good fish before we had to move.

Today I feel like exploring the graves. May be something useful for us in there, stupid humans often leave nice shinies with their dead bodies. No idea why, dead humans can't use shinies!

[OOC: At this point, Scrimjaw rolled a Natural 20 on his Investigation check, for a total Investigation of 27. Incredible.]

As I walk through the paths, I see that none of the dead humans have any shinies at all. Very sad, and very strange. They also look like they are missing most other stuff they would normally still have: Hair, clothes, little statues... Nothing at all left here, just bones. Some of them, I get the feeling were picked clean just recently. There are candles along the walls; the ones that aren't burned down to nothing are lit! That should NOT be, these graves should be empty... Lots of candles look freshly made too, look like they are made from fat. One path with fresh candles leads to a dead end, but I feel a tingle in my skin when I look at it. I put my hand on it...

[DM: "Make a Wisdom save"; Scrimjaw rolls a 3... "It looks and feels like an ordinary wall to you."]

...and that tingly feeling gets a little bit stronger. I knock on the wall...

[DM: "Make a Wisdom save"; Scrimjaw rolls higher this time, a 12; "You feel like this wall has something strange going on with it, but you're still not sure."]

...and the tingle turns into an annoying itch. It makes no sense to light a path that leads to a dead end! I begin running my hands over this strange wall, certain it's not right...

[DM: "Roll a Wisdom save"; Scrimjaw rolls a 17 this time; "Your hand passes right through the wall. It's not really there."]

...and just as I suspected, there is strong Booyagh here. This wall is only pretending to be in the way! With the itch being immensely annoying, I walk right through the wall, and into a strange cavern section. Lots of candles here, most of them lit, some burned out, and the shinies from the dead humans are piled around here too. But who took them...? I feel someone putting a hand on my shoulder! Who dares...!?

Bodak-5e.jpg
Bodak!

OH SHIT NO RUN

As I screech in surprise and horror, and turn to run, I can feel this THING's gaze burning into me from those black holes where its eyes should be. My skin begins to blister and melt, I feel and smell like I'm rotting!

[OOC: Scrimjaw was indeed dealt significant Necrotic damage, taking him to under half HP just from the Bodak's Death Gaze ability! Combined with its Fear Aura (30-foot radius for the aura, make a Wisdom save or flee in terror) it's a hell of a creature.]

I run out of there as fast as possible, terrified of that THING's empty eyes burning me. Straight to my Chieftain's Tent to try and meditate and recover from it melting me. Rocktooth returns from hunting about the same time, and he, Bogtart (our Goblin Cleric) and Katchrat our Wild Druid come to see me. I tell them what I found in the graves, and they think it's a good idea to go see if it can either be bargained with or killed. Because I'm the Boss, I have to lead them back to it... Fine, if I'm to die, it might as well be fighting something truly horrible! I'll teach it for melting ME, stupid Noface!

We gather up several hunters, and I lead the pack including Rocktooth back into the graves, back to the pretend wall, and show the others how it's not really there. Rocktooth calls out to the creature, it slowly sticks its head around a corner to look at us, with a hissing "Yeeeessssssss?"... and looking into those no-eyes and no-mouth, I feel like my brain is being ripped up.

[OOC: Scrimjaw botches his Wisdom save, takes 18 points of Psychic damage (leaving him with ONE HP), and bolts the hell out of there screaming incoherently about his brain being on fire while the smell of Goblin Brown Pants fouls the air. Several other Goblins also fail their saves and either follow Scrimjaw in much the same way, or simply fall over unconscious, having been reduced to zero HP from Psychic damage in one hit.]

NOPE. NOT GOING BACK IN THERE. VERY NOPE. STRETCHY NOFACE MELTS BRAIN AND BODY. NOPE.

[The journal skips ahead in time here, when Scrimjaw has managed to calm down again, but feels extremely worse-for-wear.]

Rocktooth and the crew have come back out... Minus some of the ones that went in. They tell me they've reached a deal with the Noface: It will leave the tribe alone if we supply it with enough fat to make lots of candles from. It LOVES candles. To seal the deal, Rocktooth gave it some of the knocked-out hunters that went in to make candles from, a good idea. Useless hunters! I got hit by it TWICE and I'm still up!! Obviously they are better use to the tribe as candles to keep Noface happy. Now, what are we going to do about getting it a good supply of fat...

The others suggest hunting the big-stench big-ugly swamp creatures I'll call Reekbeasts. Lots of fat on those, maybe lots of good meat too, and it's their breeding season right now so we'll probably find more than one. We can have a yearly hunting festival, go kill one or two of those, give their fat to Noface and keep the meat for us! They decide they're not going to wait around for me to get back into shape from resting, and disappear with Katchrat the Druid and her pet Vulture. (She can turn into a Vulture as well; very strange Booyagh there...) Bogtart shakes his Noisy Stick like a madgoblin, and off they go. That Noisy Stick... It's a weird device. Hollow-ended, full of rocks, rusty metal, rusty nails poking all through it; it's his favourite thing.

After an hour's rest, I feel a bit better [OOC: rolled pretty abysmally on the HP Recovery dice; I chalk it up to the Necrotic damage reducing his ability to heal through natural means temporarily] and decide to catch up to them to help with the hunt. Looks bad if no Boss coming along to help the tribe kill big things. One of the Vultures swoops down and picks me up, takes me back to where the others are and drops me in the swampy river with the others. As we head up the river, we smell a nasty stink. It gets worse and worse as we go, until we get to the end of the river which has two big mounds in it, it's a horseshoe-shape area with very steep cliffs up the sides. These mounds STINK. Katchrat gestures in Vulture form at the mounds... It would seem that those are the big smelly Reekbeast uglies we're after. I tell Katchrat to pick me up and drop me on top of one of the cliffs, that puts me just in range to use my Fire Booyagh on them. Rocktooth stays right away from the rest of us; he REALLY doesn't like anything to do with Booyagh, thinks it's Forbidden, especially with Dragon-Lizard-Man nearly killing all of us with it back then.

We start with one of the mounds. The Vultures swoop in, rip into it with their claws, doing big damage, then fly away safely, the horribly stinky creature tries to swing at one with its tail and misses, ha! Bogtart steps up and smacks it in the face with his Noisy Stick, so funny. After getting fire rained down on it a couple of times, it manages a good hit on a Vulture (only Katchrat's pet though, not her) and knocks it into the swamp with a splash. It looks like it's been into Chefcook's special brew, flopping around and making stupid noises, haha! Then Bogtart steps up to the Reekbeast, backhands it in the face while yelling something about "INFLICT WOUNDS UGLYDIE", and it decides that it can't handle being backhanded and DIES!! Amazing, Bogtart bitchslapped a Reekbeast to death!

[OOC: If it's not obvious, he used an Inflict Wounds spell, rolled very nicely for damage, and it was enough to finish it off.]

He was so delighted that he started dancing a mad jig on its dead and reeky body. This got the attention of the other lump, who stood up, saw that her(?) reeky mate had been killed and was being danced on, raised its tail and started shaking it like a rattle, and gave Bogtart a horrible Death Stare just like Noface can do. Bogtart stopped, went "Nrghh!" and fell over, completely dead. Seems fair: Kill with Death Slap, get killed with Death Stare. That was all this Reekbeast was able to do though, we soon killed it in revenge for Bogtart! With both Reekbeasts dead, we slowly dragged their stinky, reeky remains back to camp. We gave all their fat to Noface (I'm finally able to look at it without my brain being on fire; it seems that it feels friendly toward us now so its face doesn't cause brainfire anymore), and we can turn Reekbeast meat into curries!

If eaten without cooking, or if just cooked without further things being done, Reekbeast meat makes you feel very very bad belly aches for a full day {Torgos notes: Eating Catoblepas meat inflicts the "Poisoned" status for 24 hours, it seems; only Goblins would be mad enough to try it, even Vultures can tell its poisonous and won't touch it!} but when put in a curry, it only makes you feel yuck for one hour. Of course, these curries are part of our yearly Reekbeast Festival now! Our strongest tribe members will see who can eat the most curry, and the loser becomes a Pariah, haha!

I used Booyagh on Bogtart's bones so they glow in the dark, and we hung them in the tree. He's our first "Saint"! Side effect of the Booyagh is that his spirit haunts the bones, and they won't shut up talking to everyone who gets near about how he killed the first Reekbeast. Super funny. We give all Goblin children little glow-dark skeleton toys now, and Goblin babies get their own tiny Noisy Stick just like Bogtart's. Plus, Noface is now our "Deejay", he's in charge of our music-maker box for our parties! Spins up very loud music and very big candles at the same time! Seems very happy to be a part of our tribe, and nobody is afraid of him anymore. He says that our parties with all the glowy things everywhere are "raves".

[DM's note: "Well, it's official; you're now a tribe of Voodoo Goblins."]

More Booyagh practise on the hides from the Reekbeasts - Turned them into Hide Armor! Always side effects from using Booyagh though...

{Torgos notes: Essentially, Scrimjaw has made some pretty good enchanted armor, perfectly suited to the tribe:

Hide Armor of Stench +1 (x2)
Aura of Sickening Stench, 10-ft radius; creatures who start their turn in this radius or end up within it must make a Wisdom save (DC13) or be Sickened for until the end of the wearer's next turn (-2 penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).
The wearer is immune to this effect from any source.

Enhanced Hide Armor of Stench +1
As above.
The wearer also benefits from a constant Mage Armor effect.

Scrimjaw nabbed that one!}

We also harvested those huge rattly tails and turned them into Giant Clubs!

{Torgos notes: Scrimjaw is really doing well even without tutoring from me; in fact, I could learn a couple of tips on enchanting from him at this rate!

Great Club of Stench +1 (x2), Two-Handed Weapon
Aura of Sickening Stench as above
On hit: DC13 Will save or be Stunned for 1 round by the loud rattle.}

We are no longer the Goodfish tribe. From now on, we are the Reekslayer tribe! We slay things that reek, and we slay things while WE reek!

-> Volume 14
Last edited by Gingercat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 am UTC

June Bug...
You are amazing.

You are so socially responsible, so socially active;
It seems everything you do has social significance.

Even the simple act of cutting your hair impacts the lives of others.
And; You Do have amazing hair. Long, dark, thick and full with curls.

(well...Not long, anymore.)

Poor you. What does The Universe give you in return?
Bruised and broken digits. Poor your toe; Poor Thumb.

Please don't give up on The World, June Bug.
Please, don't give up on us. We are trying.

I may have a name for my pet Red Footed Snail.
Eureka! It means, 'I Found It!'

I did find it.
Eating a paper plate I use for snail and slug poison.

So Human of me;
Tying to kill it one moment.
Making it a habitat and naming it the next moment.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

karhell

Re: The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 13

Postby karhell » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 13! The theme of today's update is "And You Thought They Stank Before", where Torgos takes a peek at what his Goblins have been up to of late. He's pleasantly surprised...

This reader's also pleasantly surprised. I was definitely not expecting that outcome with the Bodak ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

addams wrote:I may have a name for my pet Red Footed Snail.
Eureka! It means, 'I Found It!'

I did find it.

So Human of me;
Tying to kill it one moment.
Making it a habitat and naming it the next moment.

:)

You're very sweet, Addams, but it's hardly the case that everything I do has social significance. But I do like to make a difference when I can.

I really need to blitz the Chronicles of Torgos. And maybe BSTA again, since I seem to have lost the thread of what's happening, again.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 pm UTC

New OtherComic.
Spoiler:
chat_systems.png

Kill with Death Slap, get killed with Death Stare. Eh, Seems fair.
Wait For It.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Kill with Death Slap, get killed with Death Stare. Eh, Seems fair.

That's what we all thought. And Bogtart gets to hang around (both literally and figuratively) telling the story to everyone who'll listen as a glow-in-the-dark skeleton.

Hell of a way to become a celebrity!

karhell wrote:This reader's also pleasantly surprised. I was definitely not expecting that outcome with the Bodak ^^

Neither were we! We honestly thought it'd be a crazy battle, half the tribe (or more) being straight-up killed off.

Having it as a Rave DJ? I laughed so hard that I hurt something when we locked that in :mrgreen: The mental image is just killer!

(Can you IMAGINE just how messed-up the tribe's kids are gonna be with this sort of basis for the tribe's re-foundation?)

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm UTC

I keep seeing Bogtart as Bogart, which makes me giggle even more.
I can't decide if I see the goblins as frat boys, or as the cast of The Hangover, with a bit of Doge thrown in.

???

B: ???
B: Tell me, what has happened that caused this change?
B: And suddenly You're interested in a game which only yesterday was "a waste of time"?
B: What thing brought into happening can produce this result?
FTH: You did it wrong.
FTH: You tried to convince me to play the SKADV games with no result.
FTH: You didn't tell anything about the third game.
B: Haven't played yet.
FTH: And that's the mistake.
FTH: From what I see, this could be one of the best games ever.
B: How?
FTH: Those rockmen. They compete using robots.
FTH: You can build robots.
FTH: And program them to do things.
FTH: You can program them to build other robots.
FTH: And to put programs in them.
FTH: So many cool things can be done.

Ok, this makes sense.
This does look like a game he could actually like.

It also looks like a game YOU could actually like

I can't imagine how this could possibly go wrong.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Link

1190: "Time": _BUNGALOWS 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO_

Postby Link » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

svenman wrote:

*eyeronic. :wink:

Thanks for all the love, everymolpy! My mum's out of the hospital and she's doing OK. (The hospital had a lot of unmolpishness that she had to cope with for the very basic care she got, so let's hope she won't have to go back any Time soon.) I'm still suffering from
Spoiler:
liquid black m*stard
but I feel a lot better than I did a few dips ago.

@June Bug: owww, that sounds terribly painful. Get well soon!

addams wrote:
I did find it.
The line between pests and pets is remarkably thin. (And bendy, and happens to form the letter 's'.)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 pm UTC

ggh wrote:While you're here, balthaedalus, I have a Coincidence/chat room question. In my limited experience chatting, I thought that if I wasn't joined in, I didn't see what was being said. On Before: 2 though, FTH joins and immediately responds to something AP said before FTH had joined. How does it work? What can Coincidence users see?
Related that today's othercomic is "Chat Systems"...
Obviously, you can receive text from the coincidence server only when you are connected to it. And you can receive the chat messages only if you joined the chat.
But it looks like FTH knew what was written before.
How?

I see a few possibilities:
Do you remember the IRC conference about privacy and stuff?
More specifically, do you remember ED?
He connected multiple times at once, sometimes.
So even if ED connected/disconnected it didn't mean that he wasn't connected before/after.
Maybe FTH was connected multiple times?

On the same IRConference we had recording_all_this who recorded all that.
Maybe FTH has such a bot?

Or maybe the server is generating logs and he can access them somehow?

Or something else?
Without an answer from FTH we will probably never know.

The story page.
It went so fast...
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:16 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The story page.
It went so fast...
Yes, it did.
I love reading the Stories of our lives.

The Hat thoughtfully placed on a fence to keep it from harm by a total stranger.
How that act of kindness grew within an OTTer heart and has effected Time.

The story of the pen that was so lovingly purchased;
When lost it was doggedly sought out and joyfully found.

The Toe
The Hair
The Thumb

The Suffering of our Friend Link, his Mum and me.
GnomeAnne's pets and painful injury.

ggh's life is a book.
All the Stories of our lives thrill me.
Spoiler:
I looked up the words Harrowing Adventure.
The etymology comes from a farming tool that breaks up soil.
After being broken the soil becomes able to nourish new life.

That's what our Stories do to us.
Both the tellers and the readers.

We are Human, we flourish in Stories.
oh, Link...Take care of you.
Loads and Loads of Fluids, Please.
You are at risk of both dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance.

And; GnomeAnne!
Please take care of that knee.
Let us know as the Story unfolds.

A Short Story:
Spoiler:
Here in my clearing in the Forest the rain stopped.
I have no cat nor a dog; So, small wild things have a chance.

Today there were Two Snakes.
One was olive green and the size of my ring finger.
It moved quickly in that classic Zig-Zag of snakes.

The other was a great deal smaller and very slow.
The small one seemed so very unsure of itself.

I wonder: Is it a hatchling?
I know very little of snakes.

I learned snake watching requires patience.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:New OtherComic.
Spoiler:
chat_systems.png

So I wanted to OTTify this, and started from that image file. I do the lettering in my OTTifications by copying Randall's letters from elsewhere in the comic. I was halfway through changing "Slack" to "XKCD Fora", and was looking for an F, when I noticed that the next circle over was 'The "Time" Thread'. Oops.

???

B: ???
B: Tell me, what has happened that caused this change?
B: And suddenly You're interested in a game which only yesterday was "a waste of time"?
B: What thing brought into happening can produce this result?
FTH: You did it wrong.
FTH: You tried to convince me to play the SKADV games with no result.
FTH: You didn't tell anything about the third game.
B: Haven't played yet.
FTH: And that's the mistake.
FTH: From what I see, this could be one of the best games ever.
B: How?
FTH: Those rockmen. They compete using robots.
FTH: You can build robots.
FTH: And program them to do things.
FTH: You can program them to build other robots.
FTH: And to put programs in them.
FTH: So many cool things can be done.

Ok, this makes sense.
This does look like a game he could actually like.

It also looks like a game YOU could actually like

This game sounds a lot like Factorio.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:14 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I wanted to OTTify this, and started from that image file. I do the lettering in my OTTifications by copying Randall's letters from elsewhere in the comic. I was halfway through changing "Slack" to "XKCD Fora", and was looking for an F, when I noticed that the next circle over was 'The "Time" Thread'.
HaHa.
I love it.
Spoiler:
I sometimes OTTify that way, but I was feeling lazy today and used the xkcd font.

Great minds think alike, eh?

I'm going to keep editing this until someone else posts.

Well, I'm bored, so I'll post the continuation of the story here with a nice disclaimer that contains minor spoilers and should be read after the story.
Disclaimer:
Spoiler:
The following is a dramatization and none of the events posted here should be assumed to have actually happened, there was very little blood, I was sliding, not freefalling, and especially, all the illegal activities including but not limited to stealing a protected species of bird from its nest and possessing burglars tools are pure fiction and definitely never happened at all.

Story:
Spoiler:
Falling.
Branches breaking.
The whistling scream of an angry predator.
I used my foot to catch myself by wedging my ankle in a fork of the tree as I fell past it, and ended up hanging upside down as the hawk circled around for another pass.
It was at this moment that I was reminded of the scene from "My side of the mountain" where Sam is attacked by the falcon.
After hoisting myself back up to a more comfortable position, I took a moment to recover and fantasize about a long pint. Wiping the blood from my eyes, I looked around for the hawk; it was just alighting upon the nest, heeding the desperate cries of her starving children.
It turns out there's a reason they say "memory like an elephant", instead of "memory like a hawk", as she immediately forgot all about me and flew away.
I considered my options, and decided that, having almost died, I couldn't possibly go all the way back down without at least one more try at reaching the nest.
My hands were shaking a bit, making it hard to grip the branches, and I stopped climbing for a while when the male hawk returned and circled for a while before leaving again, but I finally made it to the nest.
There were three babies, chirruping for food, fighting to be the highest one in the nest so as to get fed more. To this end, they were all three sitting on top of another smaller one. The one being sat on wasn't moving very much, and one of it's legs was skewed at an odd angle and looked broken. I had initially intended to look and not touch, but it was plain that without some sort of intervention, the fourth baby was not long for this world. I put it in the pocket of my hoodie amidst squawks of outrage and indignation from the other three.
Climbing down was uneventful, and I learned that "queer" is no longer synonymous with "queasy" when asked how I was feeling. I put the bird in my truck with a container of water in easy reach, found my cap (Yes, I know, I called it a hat before. It was a cap.) and sunglasses and went back to work.
Each day for the next three months, my sister, who worked nights, would come over to the apartment (at my request) and, since I refused to give her a key, pick the lock in full view of everyone to get in and feed the bird. Luckily, and also a bit disconcertingly, no one ever called the police. She enjoyed the adventure and the chance to brush up on her skills, and I didn't have to worry about him starving to death while I was at work.
Michaelangelo (as close as I could find to a name meaning archangel, death from above and all that) was a male red tailed hawk, and was nearly three months old when I found him, just starting to get a few pin feathers in. The leg was only dislocated and healed fairly quickly, but my falconry training program failed miserably, he flew away during the first lesson.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:29 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I'm going to keep editing this until someone else posts.
Somebody's trying to wait for it. I'm going to post so they can't.

I'm naughty. :twisted:

I'm going to the comfy chair and eating chocolate. Solid Zanclean weather is coming. Ch*rp.

Jose

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:18 am UTC

ucim wrote:I'm going to the comfy chair and eating chocolate. Solid Zanclean weather is coming. Ch*rp.

Jose
That is so very interesting.

I will not gaze out on Beautiful Sun Drenched Days and wonder where the Rain is.
I now Know where it is. It is in Jose's world. Coming down in sheets. Poor Jose.

I am so sorry, Jose.
I know how hard it can be.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm UTC

Rain is not so bad, friends.

Without rain, everything would be dry, brown and crispy; not at all the cheerful green that happens when rain does.

Flowers are that much prettier when covered in fresh raindrops.

lmjb1964

Re: 1190: "Time": _BUNGALOWS 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO_

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

Link wrote:
svenman wrote:

*eyeronic. :wink:

eye punsaw Image :D

addams wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:The story page.
It went so fast...
Yes, it did.
I love reading the Stories of our lives.

And I love reading your response to the stories of our lives. :)

taixzo wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:New OtherComic.
Spoiler:
chat_systems.png

So I wanted to OTTify this, and started from that image file. I do the lettering in my OTTifications by copying Randall's letters from elsewhere in the comic. I was halfway through changing "Slack" to "XKCD Fora", and was looking for an F, when I noticed that the next circle over was 'The "Time" Thread'. Oops.

Oops indeed. Sneaky GnomeAnne!

Speaking of which:
GnomeAnne wrote:Disclaimer:
Spoiler:
The following is a dramatization and none of the events posted here should be assumed to have actually happened, there was very little blood, I was sliding, not freefalling, and especially, all the illegal activities including but not limited to stealing a protected species of bird from its nest and possessing burglars tools are pure fiction and definitely never happened at all.

I'm glad that never happened, since raising a raptor in an apartment does not seem like a good idea. Apparently, the non-existent raptor agreed. :wink: And red-tailed hawks are no longer endangered, so you weren't wouldn't have been breaking as many wildlife laws.
What I don't understand is, why didn't you just give your sister a key?

Here's hoping that ucim, macraw83, and any other OTTers in the path of Stella are staying safe.

ETA stuff about hawks.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:red-tailed hawks are no longer endangered, so you weren'twouldn't have been breaking as many wildlife laws.
All birds of prey are protected in nebraska
Spoiler:
Hunting, capturing, and raising them are all misdemeanors. Specifically: "It shall be unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take or maintain a raptor in captivity, except as otherwise provided by law or by rule or regulation of the commission, unless he or she possesses a falconry permit, a captive propagation permit, or a raptor collecting permit as required by section 37-497"
-§37-498, Raptors; take or maintain; permit required.
The permits are expensive and time consuming to get ($230 for raising them, $200 for "collecting" them from the wild, and $50 to be able to train them, plus taking a class for each one), and even with a permit, there are regulations concerning the conditions under which it is legal to take a wild bird from its nest.

Give her a key? That would be boring, why would I do that?
Wait For It.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:red-tailed hawks are no longer endangered, so you weren'twouldn't have been breaking as many wildlife laws.
All birds of prey are protected in nebraska
Spoiler:
Hunting, capturing, and raising them are all misdemeanors. Specifically: "It shall be unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take or maintain a raptor in captivity, except as otherwise provided by law or by rule or regulation of the commission, unless he or she possesses a falconry permit, a captive propagation permit, or a raptor collecting permit as required by section 37-497"
-§37-498, Raptors; take or maintain; permit required.
The permits are expensive and time consuming to get ($230 for raising them, $200 for "collecting" them from the wild, and $50 to be able to train them, plus taking a class for each one), and even with a permit, there are regulations concerning the conditions under which it is legal to take a wild bird from its nest.

Ah, I see.

GnomeAnne wrote:Give her a key? That would be boring, why would I do that?

Silly me, what was I thinking?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:01 am UTC

Seems to me like the lack of a key made for an excellent training opportunity for the lackey. Oh god I'm going to get punsawed SO hard for that...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Rain is not so bad, friends.

Without rain, everything would be dry, brown and crispy; not at all the cheerful green that happens when rain does.

Flowers are that much prettier when covered in fresh raindrops.
well...Arn't you a Ray of SunShine. (sarcasm)
Spoiler:
I'm not good at sarcasm. but, but, umm...
The rain we had beat the flowers to pieces.

I'd see the little daffodils bloom in the night.
I'd go out and cut them for a bud vase.

The ones left outside were beaten to pulp by the rain.
lmjb1964 wrote:Here's hoping that ucim, macraw83, and any other OTTers in the path of Stella are staying safe.
oh! d-d-dear.
(that's my best Piglet imitation)

We have Another Named Storm??
Heavens!! It is only March!!

Yes!
Stay safe, OTTers and others.

Musing..
Spoiler:
I fired up Lucille, we went out into The World.
Over and over I saw evidence of the destructive power of water.

The roadways really took a beating.
It is so very interesting to see the preemptive structural work.

People that did not sit in a University Classroom listening to stories of slippage might not understand Why.
Why are they working so hard on a pieces of road that seem undamaged?
While there are miles of roadways that are nearly unusable?

It is so interesting to see how water acts like a lubricant.
We have clay and ash on top of basalt.
(Whew-Hew) What a Ride that combo can be!

It is, also, interesting to see the erosion caused by water.
The crashing of the Ocean waves changed the shoreline, again.

Tons of water moving down the rivers moves tons of dirt.
So much silt and mud. oh, Mud...How well I know you.

Each kind of silt and mud has its own personality.

When I fell into the gully,
I crawled out in clay mud.

This clay mud is like the clay a person might buy in a store.
It is sticky and slippery and very, very dirty. It is our mud.

How is your mud?
EDIT: (raises hand) Why is Nebraska so uptight about raptors?
California takes its birds seriously. But, even California knows when to back off.

What happened to poor Nebraska to make her so UpTight?
Maybe, someone should talk to her.
Last edited by addams on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Here's hoping that ucim, macraw83, and any other OTTers in the path of Stella are staying safe.
Thanks. I'm not dead yet!

However, the zanclea we were dealt up here is all solid. Nice, gentle, pretty... and ch*rpin' m*stardy in seaish quantities. It took me almost two newpix to make a path to the car, and to shovel enough in front of it to reach the road. I was smart and parked at the far end of the driveway... which had the effect of making it impossible to simply flag down a plow truck. So, I'll be at it tomorrow too. And maybe Thursday.

Jose

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 am UTC

addams wrote:well...Arn't you a Ray of SunShine. (sarcasm)
Spoiler:
I'm not good at sarcasm. but, but, umm...
The rain we had beat the flowers to pieces.

I'd see the little daffodils bloom in the night.
I'd go out and cut them for a bud vase.

The ones left outside were beaten to pulp by the rain.

Oh. :?

I'm not a fan of Destructive Rain. I'm a fan of the rain that likes to soak everything gently, that sounds wonderful on a tin roof when going to sleep.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”