1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 am UTC

ggh wrote:That was quite a moon last night, eh addams?
And a friend pointed out Jupiter beside it, which I found treeish.
I never knew these things....
Interesting...
I had a Morning Moon.

There are so many things I don't know.

You had a Moon in the Night.
I had a Moon in the Daylight.

Why?
Is it because you live in the UpSide Down Under?
It is a silly question. You bring out the silly in me.

What??
Seventeen Inches of Snow!!
With an Ice Icing!! AHH!!

oh, Poor You Xuys!
Be Careful!

Be ever so careful...
Solid water is so very scary.
Spoiler:
It is Not an irrational phobia.
Maybe, close to one; But, Ice really IS dangerous.

EDIT: Chattering On from your Chatter Box in a Box:
Spoiler:
The Blue Jays that blew in last November are Not Welcome.
They are a pretty bird. But; They have an Ugly voice.

When I hear them, I stop what I am doing (so silly) to go make them unwelcome.
Each Summer a mated pair of Hawk have been in my garden. They Are Welcome!!

I have been hearing their whistle!
They may be Back! Happy Dance!

They will keep the Jay away!

(oh, sigh) The Hawk make my little California Quail nervous.
(oh, sigh) Nature's balancing act...

I, like other humans, can nudge it one way or the other.
In my Box in a clearing in the Forest I nudge along.

Nudge..Nudge..
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 am UTC

I think you had a moon at night too - you saw it in the morning, but it was going down.
Spoiler:
We watched it climb over the hills sometime between 9 and 10 last night and spill across the bay in spectacular fashion.
We were at a friend's home for dinner (I got to provide more food from my greenhouse, and some came from his garden as well) and my friend has a small telescope so we got to see the moon in detail too, rough edge and all - more like this but brighter.
We also could see four moons around Jupiter. Treeish. :)

When we got home, the Little Wonder was fast asleep and I carried her upstairs in the dark.
At the entrance of our room - baobabs!
The moon was lined up perfectly to have laid a wide bright path to our bed through the deck doors I had accidentally left open.
And through those doors, a grand swath of moonlight shone on the water, leading straight off into the night. Magic!

This morning the Little Wonder watched Friend Moon through the car window, so, not so different.
Of course you're right though - it is upside-down here.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about the call of the blue jay. I miss it, and now when I hear it, how it makes me smile. :)
You can feed them peanuts. I was going to say you can train them, but clearly I was the one who had been trained: I'd hear the call and search the branches for the jay. I'd lob a peanut in its view, and it would plummet to the ground to retrieve it, flying back up to a branch to hammer the shell open with its sharp beak.

Hey balthasar, wanna correct my reading again? I know that my guess at that first sentence is terrible....
B: Zakładaw że nie obchodzi
cig współzawodnictwo
głazowców.

FTH: Ani trochę
FTH: To tylko pretekst, by
robic roboty programujące
roboty.

B: :)
B: Tak, zągranie w to to
dobry pomysł.

FTH: Fajnie,
FTH: Ale muszę już lecieć
FTH: Auto czeka.

I didn't notice this before, but when FTH starts the chat, his name also appears in the background GUIncidence window. Treeish!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:20 am UTC

oh, ggh...Magic...

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 am UTC

Image Have you read this book?
It was one of my favorites as a young child.
Spoiler:
Harold-4.jpg
Image is part of a book called "Harold And The Purple Crayon" by Crockett Johnson
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 am UTC

This is your lucky day.
You were afraid that nobody will want to play your game.
And now you have 3 possible players.
Is it, your birthday or what?

Before you were interrupted you had an idea.

:) Go b!

ETA: I'm vaguely aware that such a book exists GnomeAnne, but I've never read it. I may have to. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:25 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hey balthasar, wanna correct my reading again? I know that my guess at that first sentence is terrible....
B: Zakładam, że nie obchodzi cię współzawodnictwo głazowców.
FTH: Ani trochę.
FTH: To tylko pretekst, by robić roboty programujące roboty.

B: :)
B: Tak, zagranie w to to dobry pomysł.

FTH: Fajnie,
FTH: Ale muszę już lecieć.
FTH: Auto czeka.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 am UTC

He looks so happy!

We had gorgeous weather today. Everything was damp from a slight rain overnight, so it smelled fresh and springtimey, the sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze, couldn't ask for more.
Normally it rains all the time in the spring, but Addams and lmjb stole it all. No rain scheduled all next week, just sun and sixty to seventy degree temperatures.
Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Have you read this book?
I sure have - love it (and the sequels). There's another of similar meta-ilk: CDB. Published in the late 60s, its useless and fun abbreviations presaged texting by nearly half a century.

I tried to get my high school to buy a copy - they thought I was off my nut.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:15 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:19 am UTC

Sequels? There are sequels?

I read cdb once, but had forgotten about it. I never could figure out some of the words. I'll have to find a copy.
Wait For It.

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote: Have you read this book?

I have! It was interesting, and I liked it. A cute idea for a story :D. It's been many years since I read it though.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Pool Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 am UTC

No time to ketchup now since I'm about to go to the pool, so here's my camp log so far:

Code: Select all

Camp Log

#Sunday

We left about on time.  I rode with Dad in the camper and we discussed business stuff.  Our first stop was a nearby small down we'd never been to before.  We ate a snack at a very large picnic table and chatted with some nomadic retirees.  I drove the van next and StormAngel drove the camper with Dad.  The destination was a place with a seaish cave (through which flows a riverish river), where we at lunch - bread rolls with chicken, cheese, and salad.  After we ate we walked to and through the cave.  It was a lovely walk with a great view.  It addition to the cave we also saw a large archway and a suspension bridge which some of us crossed.

We left the cave place right before 4pm.  It was my second driving stint.  To get there we'd come down two kilometres of road which winds down a hillside that's steep enough that it only has a single lane, so I got the dubious honour of driving back up that.  Happily, no one else attempted to arrive while we were leaving, and the drive was uneventful.  My sister took over at a quick halfway stop, about which I don't remember any interesting details.  At about 6, we reached our last destination that day: a free campground in Vittoria State Forest, which has no designated camping sites or any infrastructure at all besides a toilet block.  But it was dry and we found a spot flat enough to put up the tent, which we finished before dark.  After cooking and eating dinner, some of us walked down to the river, where we woke up many ducks.  They were quite noisy flapping around in the reeds.

#Monday

We packed the tent away as quickly as we could, as an attempt to avoid rain.  There was some light rain, but we managed to get all our gear in the van in time, and got the tent away before it was too bad.  When putting up the tent we'd discovered that the elastic in one of the poles was broken, so we needed to buy a replacement.  While it could be temporarily fixed by tying it together, that was by no means a good fix.  Therefore, we visited a camping store in nearby Bathurst.  (We'd gone through Bathurst Sunday afternoon, to fuel up the vehicles.)  They didn't have the elastic, but we did purchase an air pump for air mattresses.  We normally bring an electric pump but certain people forgot it.  The one we bought is a foot powered one, which is still better than having to use lung.  (My air mattress has a built-in pump so that did not affect me.)

I also bought a new clothes bag because my old one is ripping at the seams beside most of the zippers.  Dad had said it would be alright for this one last trip but it's getting worse quickly and the replacement only cost forty bucks.  I haven't transferred my clothes into it yet at the time of writing this part.  I have a lot of bags with me on this trip.  Besides the old and new clothes bags, I have my laptop bag and a backpack of various odds and ends (including my leopad), plus my sleeping bag and air mattress are each in a bag.  Oh and I have a toiletries bag and my crocs are in a plastic bag.  So that's eight bags.

Also while in that town we bought a few groceries at the supermarket, and also selected some snacks from the bakery section.  After that we stopped very briefly at a museum at Hill End with a bunch of rusty old machinery and an old postal service coach, and then ate soft-shell tacos for lunch at Merlin's Lookout overlooking the Golden Quarter Mile.  Yes, there used to be a lot of gold mining there.  On the way back to Hill End from the lookout, we stopped very briefly to take photos in front of the Hill End Hilton, which is an abandoned ramshackle shack, which I suppose someone put a sign in front of as a joke.  Perhaps it was used as a hotel over a hundred years ago?  Who knows.  (Site note: on Sunday Mum rode in the van while others took turns in the camper with Dad, while on Monday Mum stuck with Dad and the five siblings were in the van.)

I drove the leg from the lookout to the next town, Mudgee, passing through a heavy rainstorm.  We fuelled up and stopped at the hardware store in another failed attempt to find elastic cord.  We did buy garbage bags there though.  StormAngel drove the van the rest of the way.  Up until that point the van had followed the camper, which is less powerful, to ensure we stayed together.  However, we decided to send the van ahead without waiting so we'd arrive at the camp site twenty minutes sooner.  Unfortunately StormAngel's GPS suggested we take a different road, which while being slightly shorter had several dirt sections.  The dirt sections were less of a problem than one of the transitions back to sealed road, which had a noticeable step due to erosion.

After leaving Mudgee we'd passed through a couple of thunderstorms.  (There was enough of a sunny gap in between that I'm pretty sure it was two different ones.)  Thankfully we got out of the second shortly before that step in the road, as the heavy rain would have made changing the resultant flat tire quite miserable.  As it was, it was quite pleasant outside, and having five people made it relatively light work.  To my surprise we were able to rearrange a few things and fit the flat tire in the back.  It was rather dirty but the van has an included tire cover which takes care of that problem.  The tire had to go in the back because the spare is mounted underneath the van and is a lot thinner than the normal tire because of space limitations.  That's a good thing because if the spare had been located inside under the floor (as many spare tires are), we would have had to unpack a lot of things to get at it.

It was the left back tire which went down - I think because there's a lot of weight in the back, and because it had already had one or more slow leaks patched.  Because it was the left, and the ground beside the road was soft, we had to leave the van on the road to be able to jack it up.  (Remember, in Australia we drive on the left side of the road.)  That didn't matter at all, since we saw no other vehicles on that road the entire time (the parents did not take that road).  Besides, no one would have been driving especially fast and there was plenty of visibility.  Anyhow, we got the tire changed and drove on.  The spare tire limited our speed to 80kph, though on the bumpy dirt road StormAngel wisely kept to 40.  (Too bad he hadn't gone slower up that fatal bump - as it was he braked rather hard before hitting it.  Oh well, that's all in hindsight now.)

It was dry all the rest of the way.  We briefly stopped at a rest area which had a large sign bearing the planet Uranus, which was part of a huge model of the solar system.  We learned later that our parents' road had taken them past Jupiter.  We even passed the edge of the clouds and saw a fair amount of sunshine and blue sky.  However, we arrived at the camp site (at Warrumbungle National Park)  right after the sun was fully down.  And it being the night after the full moon, that meant it was pretty dark with the moon not intending to show up for a fair while.  That didn't stop us from setting up the tent as we brought plenty of lights.  (Why Americans call them flashlights I'll never understand - it's rather annoying when anyone actually flashes one.  Why do they even have a strobe mode? :P )  After we had everything finished and moved into the right place, then it started raining.  So that was quite conveniently timed :D  A little after that we ate a very late dinner of lamb sausages with vegetables.

#Tuesday

It rained a few more times during the night.  I arose for a latish breakfast around 8ish (not sure which side of 8) though three siblings ate later than me.  We ate in the camper, due to rain.  At about 9 I decided I'd better get around to writing down my log of events, so I've been doing that for the past our or so.  It's been raining most of that time - sometimes light, sometimes heavily - with sporadic thunder nearby.  It's now 10:19 and I feel like eating again.  I'll write more after more things happen.

---

I just read in the tent for a while, while the siblings set up and started a game of Dominion (using cards from the Intrigue and Cornucopia expansions).  After about half an hour (i.e. getting towards 11) I saw a bolt of lightning (quite visible even through the tent fabric) and had a fraction of a second to think 'this one is gonna be really loud!' before the rather loud thunderclap.  A bit later, Mum and StormAngel took the van to the nearest town (Coonabarraban, which Dad and Mum drove through on Monday but the rest of us didn't) to get the tire repaired, so I took his place in the game.  It was pretty fun and I sorta won but sorta not because we figured I accidentally picked up some of our sister's cards, and definitely would not have won without them.  After some more reading we realised it was lunch time and made sandwiches.  Mine had butter, avocado, cucumber, cheese, chicken, and dijonaisse.  I had a honey sandwich after that, and then enjoyed some cloudy apple cordial which I hadn't tasted before but the others had because they took some on their Kosciusco cycling trip back in January.  Anyhow it's really good.  Mum and StormAngel returned a while after that, having packed sandwiches for their own lunch.  After a bit more reading, most of the others went off for a walk to something they decided would be interesting.  I took some pictures of the view from the campsite and then wrote this paragraph.

---

#Wednesday

We (all but Mum) went for a long (a bit over 4 hours) walk in (and up and around and down) the Warrumbungles (or some of them).  Returned in time for a latish lunch.  Lots of great views and photo opportunities, and plenty of exercise  I fell over once.  Spend much of the remainder of the day vegging out.  It was dry and rather warm. Actually, it was too hot in the tent.  Particularly in my part, because opening a flap to let cooler air in also let the sun directly in.

#Thursday

We packed up quickly for our next lot of driving, with me taking the first stage of van driving.  The first brief stop was the Jupiter sign right before Coonabarrabran, where we took some photos.  We'd gone ahead in the van and the camper passed us while we were stopped.  Dad tried visiting the post office in Coonabarrabran but the line was too long.  (The exact same thing had happened in Mudgee on Monday.)  After that we popped around the corner to a mineral museum called the Crystal Kingdom, where we ate kiwi fruit.  Only a few of us went inside.  I hear they had some opalized wood.

Next I drove to Gunnedah, where we fuelled up the camper, and then StormAngel took us to Tamworth, where we fuelled both vehicles and made sandwiches for lunch (also Dad finally was able to do his postoffice thing).  Our sister (she needs a name... how about Cheese?) finished up the driving, first to Armidale (where we bought groceries at ALDI), then the sort distance to the camp site at Dangars Falls.  It has waterfalls.  We set up the tent - taking a brief break to look at the falls - then took a longer walk to some of the waterfall lookouts after dinner (soup).  There was a very light spot of rain.  The camp site is rather bare - much like Sunday's one, but smaller - but that doesn't really matter as we're only here one night.

#Friday

The others had porridge for breakfast but I didn't as I only like porridge when the weather is much colder.  We did some of the packing up, then went for some walks and general enjoyment of the beautiful area.  I took some time to write down the last couple of days' events, and am about to go for a little walk around too.  StormAngel is being lazy in the tent, lying on his completely flat air mattress, which cannot be comfortable.  I'm sitting on the floor of the tent using my packed-away sleeping back as a table for my lapleopard.

--

By the time we left it was nearly 11.  I drove the van ahead of the camper to wait at the end of the dirt road, because otherwise I would have to lag behind the slower camper's dust.  While waiting, the other back tire went flat.  Chirp!  I washed some windows while the others did most of the tire changing.  It wasn't far to Armidale where we tried two tire places.  The second one had time to help us and told us that the tire was too damaged to repair.  Instead they sold us a replacement second hand tire (a good enough to use one left over from someone else who'd replaced all their tires!!).  That was also quicker than repairing the flat.  While that was being done I got around to checking whether our spare elastic would be long enough to replace the broken elastic (from the tent pole mentioned quite a while ago) and decided it was, so I didn't go to by a replacement at a nearby store.

We made several stops at various spectacular waterfalls and also a rainforest, eating lunch at one of the waterfalls.  Eventually we reached the coast and joined the main motorway which took us to Coffs Harbour (StormAngel did that part of the driving.)  It was raining in Coffs when we arrived.  While the parents were paying for our site the rain slowed enough that I decided to take the chance to start setting up the tent.  Molpishly, it stopped completely instead of returning, and we got the tent up alright.  Then it did resume raining, and rained pretty much all night (and it was fairly windy at times, fortunately not constantly).  We spent the evening at my aunt's place and got to bed pretty late.

#Saturday

A good bit of the morning was spent drying things.  My part of the tent leaked the least :D  After lunch (sandwiches and optional soup), some went to see my aunt again and then bought some items at the hardware store to help with the wet.  (There's a puddle at the entrance to the tend and it's a bit soft underneath the front.)  I don't actually know what exactly they bought since I didn't go and I haven't left the tent yet.  There's semi-decent intermittent wifi and I hope to post this before going swimming in the site's pool in a minute.  It's currently a rare non-raining time, though it may not last.  I haven't actually seen the sea (I mean, ocean) yet on this trip but I've been hearing the sound of the surf continually.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:15 am UTC

Treeish journal, ED! So, the poles are fine? You don't need me to post you some shock cord real quick?

Quantized wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote: Have you read this book?

I have! It was interesting, and I liked it. A cute idea for a story :D. It's been many years since I read it though.
I cheated and found a reading on YouTube - it's great! I'm debating whether I show the video to the Little Wonder or keep her spoiler-free until we get a hardcopy.

Thanks for the words, balthasar!
Also, how's the new moonbase treating you?

I kinda want to commence some ketchup, but I think I have to admit from the beginning that it's not going to be very thorough. I was already ketching up about a half dozen pages in a disorganised fashion, and almost ketched-up, but not entirely, when I fell back into the semi-basement (whine cellar?) so I don't remember much where I've been. I think maybe I'll just pick up 10 NP ago and hope that some of the posts I wanted to respond to ring a bell. So, if you expected some kind of answer from me and you don't get one, please remind me. Sometimes I "remember" replying when I'm really remembering that I wanted to....

A BSTA prediction: b will turn his head to screen right, and drop his screen right elbow towards the desk, bringing his hand from the back of his head to his face.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Rainy Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am UTC

Yeah the poles are fine.
The pool was fun. Rained a lot ;) There are two small slides which were pretty alright. We played 'Pool Rush' which is like Bull Rush, sorta.
Now it's raining even more, and we're nearly done negotiating everyone between the showers, the tent, the camper and the van in order to go to my aunt's place again.
I mean, a seaish amount of rain~~~~~. It's not making it easy!
I'm sitting in the van with my lapleopard on my lap :D
BTW one of the main roads we went on past lots of wow wowterfalls is called Waterfall Way!

~~~~~The sky is a wowterfall!

ETA chirping mustard I left my phone in the tent. Oh well, I suppose I can take a picture with my leopad.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 am UTC

Poles are fine? That's what I'd expect in Australia. After all, the highest mountain there was named after one...
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Pole Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Poles are fine? That's what I'd expect in Australia. After all, the highest mountain there was named after one...
Yeah, and I just happened to have mentioned it in my log!
Oddly enough, I saw a power pole (we parked beside it) which has a tag affixed to it reading "WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE". I believe it was placed there in jest.

---

It let up raining a little as soon as we were ready to leave (that took a while as the logistics of getting everyone and everything in the right place over the sound of a torrential thunderstorm are difficult), but it was torrential again on our arrival not many minutes later.  We had a lot to transfer into the house because 3 siblings are staying over to mind our cousins while their mother (i.e our aunt) is at a work thing.  (That also means only two in the tent which is good because not all of it is as dry as the potential sleepers would prefer. (I never actually said, but my parents are sleeping in the camper, not the tent.  The tent is cramped with 7.  5 is plenty enough during rainy conditions.))

Anyhow, we ordered pizzas and most played Monopoly (I tried in vain to talk them out of using the Free Parking house rule), Mum and I played Dominion (I taught her how to play and we finished in time to leave) and Dad uploaded photos, I think to his book of faces.  Now I'm back in my tent room, having helped dry various bits that I'm not sleeping in.  (That means less work for everyone else in the morning when we will put the tent away.  It's currently not raining,a nd some of the sky is clear but that doesn't mean it won't start pouring any minute, since it already rained a little since we returned to the camp site.  Molpy down!

BTW I have a fair amount of photos but I'll wait on sharing them until I have more time to organise them. So, some time next wip when we're staying in a house rather than a tent. Assuming there's wifi to upload them all. Otherwise, the next wip.

We're likely to visit the beach (sand!) next wip, though who knows how bad the weather will be...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:25 pm UTC

oh, ED!
Thank You, So Much!

It's almost like being there.
Waiting for the Photos...

They will be breathtaking, I am sure.
Please label them; Or; I will be lost.

The only thing I do Not understand is How?
How a person can hear about 'opalized wood'
and Not rush forward to see and hopefully Touch it??

Opalized Wood must be so beautiful.
Imagine the process of creation...

One replacement molecule at a Time over long spans of Time...
And; You didn't bother?? well...We are each our own individuals.

And; you ggh;
You Must spend Time OutThere for you to have the Magical Adventures you bring to us.
Moonlight on Water, The Wonder of Discovery shared with the Little Wonder and your Sweet Unique Silliness.

Go Play!
Promise to Return?

How are our Posters in the Big White?
You three? Jose, taixzo, macraw...?

Do you Posters remain unharmed?
Is anyone else 'at risk' from Hard Water?

as for me?
weather report:
Spoiler:
Raining.
Chirping Rain.

Rain in all of its flavors.
Mostly a steady heavy rain.

With Sheets washing over the world from Time to Time.
Slugs and Snails have come to my door seeking shelter.

A Poster knows it is Too Wet,
When it is Too Wet for Slugs!
Last edited by addams on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

Get back to the idea.

You think you could go and take a look at the place.

But there is still one thing to do before.

Hey GnomeAnne, did you get your solder/glue problem solved?

addams wrote:I want to tell you a Story.
It is boring, personal and bittersweet:

I will put it inside a Spoiler to make it easy to skip.
I can't tell you my Story, today. I am tired and sore.
I lost track - did you get a chance to tell us this one? Or was it too bittersweet?
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:01 pm UTC

addams wrote:How are our Posters in the Big White?

There is a lot of ice. I mostly stay inside.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Hey GnomeAnne, did you get your solder/glue problem solved?

Yes.
Sort of.
I set the project aside to work on later and forgot about it.
Wait For It.

ggh

Re: The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 12

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Yes.
Sort of.
I set the project aside to work on later and forgot about it.
Ha! You took a page from my book. :)

I have a Torgos question.
Gingercat wrote:
Spoiler:
[OOC: Torgos's alignment is still True Neutral at this point, but his overall mental state has slid a little further from this experience; he had a bit too much fun being a giant, boat-ramming and crew-mauling shark...]
Sure, so Torgos has gotten a bit into the whole rampaging thing, but wouldn't that happen to everyone to some degree? I mean, most of these adventures are a tad violent for all concerned - it's got to be a common problem, eh? Isn't there some mechanism for recovering a positive mental state? Can Torgos find a spot of counselling, sip some St John's wort, and regain his balance?

Sounds like a good plan taixzo. :)

Yesterday I heard the words, "Bloody Albany!" Even though we were talking about something less-than-molpish, the two-worldiness made me smile to hear. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 am UTC

taixzo wrote:There is a lot of ice.
I mostly stay inside.
ggh wrote:Sounds like a good plan taixzo. :)

Yesterday I heard the words, "Bloody Albany!" Even though we were talking about something less-than-molpish, the two-worldiness made me smile to hear. :)
Yes. Staying inside away from danger is a very Good Idea.
Thank You, Taixzo for taking care of You.

umm..."Bloody Albany!"(?) I Googled it.
I came up with This:
https://books.google.com/books?id=qifpm ... 22&f=false
Is that what ggh was referring to?
As opaque as BASTA is, to me.

My Nation needs a New Crop of Heroes.
I started reading and thinking...

Every generation needs Heroes.
Without self-educated courage and an active civil life...

Well..That's, just, a life of putting one foot in front of the other, until ya' fall down.
Dead men do that. It's not Really Living! Yep. It is, just my opinion. I still have one.

oh...The Good Ole' Daze of going to Peace Rallies.
I was seldom in any danger until after 2001.

Before That, for me, it was, just, good, clean fun.
Picnics with Food, Flowers and Friends.

Holding hands and singing songs.
It was a duty. It was not Heroic.

We have a situation that required Heroes.
Where are we going to find some Heroes?

gee. How can I be Heroic?
That will require some Thought.

I have only a tiny glimmer of an idea...
and; Thinking it made me tired.

What do You think?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1043

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 am UTC

WRONGDOINGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ChronosDragon.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:REMAIN SANDISH AND RETRONINJASPOILER CROISSANTS

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 am UTC

Hey ED, sounds like you passed through Ebor on your trip. I did parts of my field work there. Did you see the Ebor Wowterfalls?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:43 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:OTC live wallpaper update:
(snip)
Update is pushed and should be available in an hour or so.[/spoiler]

The OTC live wallpaper has been on my phone since you announced it here. However, I installed LineageOS and was too naive to think I'd just reinstall it from the store... It seems the live wallpaper has been pulled from the Google Play Store. I cound't find it on F-Droid either. It is still available on several APK sites, but I obviously trust the OTT much more than I do e.g. downloadatoz.com. So please, please Wildhound could you please put a copy of the latest version somewhere (on the Wiki, perhaps?) or at least publish a hash of the original apk? The one I got from a random site has this MD5 hash:

536d3e40705bdd4f8c8359bd49bef09d  com.changeofplangames.xkcd.time.apk

Cheers!
Flado
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

Hi Flado!

addams wrote:umm..."Bloody Albany!"(?) I Googled it.
I came up with This:
https://books.google.com/books?id=qifpm ... 22&f=false
Is that what ggh was referring to?
As opaque as BASTA is, to me.

My Nation needs a New Crop of Heroes.
Spoiler:
I started reading and thinking...

Every generation needs Heroes.
Without self-educated courage and an active civil life...

Well..That's, just, a life of putting one foot in front of the other, until ya' fall down.
Dead men do that. It's not Really Living! Yep. It is, just my opinion. I still have one.

oh...The Good Ole' Daze of going to Peace Rallies.
I was seldom in any danger until after 2001.

Before That, for me, it was, just, good, clean fun.
Picnics with Food, Flowers and Friends.

Holding hands and singing songs.
It was a duty. It was not Heroic.

We have a situation that required Heroes.
Where are we going to find some Heroes?

gee. How can I be Heroic?
That will require some Thought.

I have only a tiny glimmer of an idea...
and; Thinking it made me tired.
What do You think?

Oh dear, Addams - those are weighty questions... let's start with the easy one:

"Bloody" is a British thing to say - it's like their "ch*rping". New Zealand English is much like English English.
Albany is the seat of government in New York State, so saying "Bloody Albany" if you're talking about some government policy you don't like falls into the same category of "ch*rping Washington" or "Randamned Brussels".

Now, what do I think? Nothing useful really.
Spoiler:
Oh yes: some heroes would be good.
I don't want to talk politics, because unmolpishness, but I do think about it. I get frustrated.

I was in the shower thinking about leadership, and I wondered about casting a wider net.
There appears to be a big market for Reality TV. How about a leadership competition? Every year you could scour the cities and countryside to find the best new talent in leadership. Maybe you could give the winner a cause to run at the end. And, bonus, at the same time the viewers would be getting an education about how they're getting played.

But... how would you run the competition? The real world might not be the best stage. Some folks would consider it unethical to risk genocide to boost ratings. No, you'd want to collect enough data to be able to sim the masses. And that brings us back to:Image
And from there I get confused, because I wonder how far they've gotten.

Now that I'm looking back through some recent pastpages, I remember that I wanted to find some cakes. Link... taixzo... balthasar... hmm, balthasar is at 1915 now - I guess that bird has flown. Anyways:
Spoiler:

balthasar_s wrote:Recently, I got a "great idea". (not very related)
Spoiler:
I want to make a similar (to the STAF-PWM-soundgenerator) music-playing software... for a device produced by my FFS.
I got access to a damaged board with the same proessor, and I installed (after downloading and compiling) the rl78-elf-gcc compiler. And I have the schematics for the flashing device which I can build tomorrow when I get the missing parts. So I have all I need and this should be ready after 2 days or so, right?
Actually, no.
I'm stuck.
I'm missing files required for this.
#defines which map the special function registers to their addesses
and informations for the linker about the memory space.
I couldn't find them anywhere. Which is strange because these are things that are needed by everybody who wants to do anything with these microcontrollers.
Of course, these could be written manually, based on the datasheets, but I don't believe that this is my only way. That would be too redundant. I feel like I'm missing something obvious that everyone else knows.
I asked a question.
I'll wait and see what happens.

I could also ask at FFS but that could ruin the surprise.
(In my FFS I'm not programming those devices. I'm the one who finds bugs in the code written by others.
How did this go?
Or am I asking too soon?

AluisioASG wrote:Did anyone see this?
tresoldi wrote:So, after months of not looking at the corpus and only lurking on rare occasions on the OTT (sorry, guys), I decided it is time to come back and try some new ideas. But, first, I will probably wrap everything up into some academic paper — my CV needs it, and it will hopefully bring more people on board.

If anyone wants to collaborate, please get in touch! :)
Today we went to a little beach festival. They had a "Big Dig" there. A rectangle of sand was marked off with driftwood - about 15 paces by 20 paces. Kids dug in the sand looking for colourful numbered cards, only about the size of postage stamps, which would then be traded in for prizes. Cards were found and prizes were given, but after some time, there were still something like 8 unawarded prizes.

The organisers invited everyone to dig, whether they'd bought a ticket or not. I combed the sand for a while and found nothing. The odds of finding anything just seemed too bleak - I mean, it took me quite a while to dig through an area that was 1x7 paces and I wasn't even certain I had been thorough enough or had gone deeply enough on that small area. I felt like I should keep digging while those little cards were still waiting under the sand, but then the Little Wonder fell asleep right there, and really doubtful that I was getting anywhere, I carried her off to a more comfortable spot. It felt almost exactly like my investigations into Beanish.
Agatha the Awesomeful

thunk

Postby thunk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm UTC

"Bloody" is a British thing to say - it's like their "ch*rping". New Zealand English is much like English English.
Albany is the seat of government in New York State, so saying "Bloody Albany" if you're talking about some government policy you don't like falls into the same category of "ch*rping Washington" or "Randamned Brussels".

Huh. I was under the impression that the vowel sounds are quite different.
the near-square merger is quite a sound to behold.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm UTC

Sorry, I didn't mean accent-wise - I meant vocab and idiom-wise.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Today we went to a little beach festival. They had a "Big Dig" there. A rectangle of sand was marked off...
I read this as 'They had a "Big Dog" there...' and was quite confused for the rest of the paragraph until I re-read it.

The snow is slowly melting away. We're still covered in white, but the voldeframe of winter is rustling.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Recently, I got a "great idea". (not very related)
Spoiler:
I want to make a similar (to the STAF-PWM-soundgenerator) music-playing software... for a device produced by my FFS.
I got access to a damaged board with the same proessor, and I installed (after downloading and compiling) the rl78-elf-gcc compiler. And I have the schematics for the flashing device which I can build tomorrow when I get the missing parts. So I have all I need and this should be ready after 2 days or so, right?
Actually, no.
I'm stuck.
I'm missing files required for this.
#defines which map the special function registers to their addesses
and informations for the linker about the memory space.
I couldn't find them anywhere. Which is strange because these are things that are needed by everybody who wants to do anything with these microcontrollers.
Of course, these could be written manually, based on the datasheets, but I don't believe that this is my only way. That would be too redundant. I feel like I'm missing something obvious that everyone else knows.
I asked a question.
I'll wait and see what happens.

I could also ask at FFS but that could ruin the surprise.
(In my FFS I'm not programming those devices. I'm the one who finds bugs in the code written by others.
How did this go?
Or am I asking too soon?
I received an answer which said that to obtain these files I would have to install the e2studio. I installed it in Wine. In Wine it's not very usable as an IDE but at least it generates the files I need. (ETA: just tried, they don't work) It is a solution but I think that it's totally unreasonable that the situation is like this. So I could start working on this. Except, I couldn't. I needed something for flashing the microcontroller. The circuit for it is really simple and there is a free software (rl78flash) available for it. I quickly built the flasher circuit and it didn't work. For some days I thought that there must be something wrong with my circuit but I couldn't find it.
Later, it turned out to be a software problem. It's fixed now.
So I can start doing something with this maybe this week?

ggh wrote:Also, how's the new moonbase treating you?
A better question would be how I'm treating the new base.

ggh wrote:Now that I'm looking back through some recent pastpages, I remember that I wanted to find some cakes. Link... taixzo... balthasar... hmm, balthasar is at 1915 now - I guess that bird has flown
I see that now it's a good time for you to get a cake.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 pm UTC

Heh - I didn't actually realise that. Didn't we used to share the same postcount? Since then, you've made so much content and I haven't, but I sure do post a lot.

balthasar_s wrote:A better question would be how I'm treating the new base.
:) Okay, how are you treating the new base?
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

It Stopped Raining.

Puffy clouds float in a Sapphire Blue Sky.
What a relief from all the Sky Water.

I'm glad to hear the Big White is loosening its hold on You, Jose.
Everyone in your area will be safer, very soon.

Then we can breath easy;
Spoiler:
Until Fire Season.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
Wildhound wrote:OTC live wallpaper update:
(snip)
Update is pushed and should be available in an hour or so.[/spoiler]

The OTC live wallpaper has been on my phone since you announced it here. However, I installed LineageOS and was too naive to think I'd just reinstall it from the store... It seems the live wallpaper has been pulled from the Google Play Store. I cound't find it on F-Droid either. It is still available on several APK sites, but I obviously trust the OTT much more than I do e.g. downloadatoz.com. So please, please Wildhound could you please put a copy of the latest version somewhere (on the Wiki, perhaps?) or at least publish a hash of the original apk? The one I got from a random site has this MD5 hash:

536d3e40705bdd4f8c8359bd49bef09d  com.changeofplangames.xkcd.time.apk

Cheers!
Flado

Hi there, I've uploaded it here for you, but feel free to host it elsewhere if you please.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:16 pm UTC

ggh wrote:But what happened to the barbarian Gingercat?

Purely as written, Torgos didn't know; she simply absconded with one or more vampires.

You'll find out what happened in the next instalment or two, I promise. :) This arc is close to being wrapped up (and IRL has been as of Friday night; the tale just needs to be written now.)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Today we went to a little beach festival. They had a "Big Dig" there. A rectangle of sand was marked off...
I read this as 'They had a "Big Dog" there...' and was quite confused for the rest of the paragraph until I re-read it.

Jose

Friday we took our three Big DogsH to the beach. LW and MSW enjoyed swimming after their bumpers, and GHW enjoyed digging a big hole.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

thunk

Re: 1190: "Wraak op Beanieden"

Postby thunk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 am UTC

summer won't end here.
The dewpoint is 22. ugh.

I'm too tired to do much posting or work.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Re: 1190: "Wraak op Beanieden"

Postby addams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 am UTC

thunk wrote:summer won't end here.
The dewpoint is 22. ugh.

I'm too tired to do much posting or work.
oh, Dearest Thunk;
For the first Time I am aware, you live DownUnder.
You live in the world of Flipped Seasons.

The Winter Rains and Cold are lingering, here.
The uncomfortable Heat and Humidity are lingering, there.

For several Glorious Hours it stopped Raining.
I was so disappointed to walk out into Rain.

Yes. It started, again.
It is a gentle Spring Rain.

It falls easily without being pushed by gale force winds.
You will get relief, soon. And; So will me and mine.

The Sun will end its siege on you.
The Sun's warmth is coming for me.

May?
Must we wait for May?
It seems so far away...

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 am UTC

addams wrote:Must we wait for May?
Waiting is what we do. :)

For pennance, you must use the soft pillows. You may use them any way you like. You don't have to tell us what you do with them.
Spoiler:
Sensual is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that in just a few short dix (not to be confused with a few shortpix; it would be a few more shortpix), we will be ending Advent and coming upon the mip of Zyzygy. I wish everyone a most wowterful Dawn of Time.

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 am UTC

ucim wrote:short dix
Heheh. :)

While I think it might have been easier to find those little numbered cards in a big dog, it certainly would have been messier. I think I'll stick with pleasant futility.

Baobabs, Wildhound - good on ya!

addams wrote:I have, for many a Christmas, celebrated by planting bulbs.
I skipped last year, I was not feeling well enough to walk.

This year I will be planting Gladiolus.
I have enough for two medium pots.

I harvested these bulbs from last years garden.
I have had a plan brown paper bag in the refrigerator for months and months.
Spoiler:
Yes! Of course, it was labeled, Gladiolus!
Today, Christmas Eve Day, they are segregated onto two plates on the kitchen counter.
Tomorrow, taking Fair Winds for granted, I will place them in soil. Then....I will...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
When will these come up?
They were my mother's favourite flower.
Will you post pics?
Agatha the Awesomeful

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 pm UTC

addams wrote:Thank you, so very much, for the SnowPeople Stories.
Such a delight for me to read. I laugh along with you.

Frozen Hair...(?)
(gee) Do you All have loads of hair, like June Bug?
I probably have near the average amount of hair for someone of the male persuasion, but significantly less than I used to (though I am due for a haircut soon).

addams wrote:Macraw!! Your Posts are phenomenal!

Yes.
I learned that in School.
Spoiler:
Very important for Field Medicine.

A wet person can die of hypothermia at 70 degrees.
A submersed person is at risk at 80 degrees.
(weird. right?)
The review you provided is greatly appreciated.
Your Posts tend to set a very high bar.
Spoiler:
(Chuckle) I'll be walking under that bar.
And; I'll not muss my hair doing it.
:oops: I'm glad you appreciate it. I generally only post about what I know, or things where I think I can contribute.

ggh wrote:Thanks macraw! I don't think my hair broke, but it was already a slightly feral, unkempt affair, with lots of split ends, so maybe I just didn't notice.
Also, I hunted down your photo. Treeishly seaish! Also, such a wingish mood - I felt like I could hear the snow crunch. :)
It was quite fun to build, especially going through the problem-solving process of lifting a 1m-diameter ball of snow on top of another one. Sadly these xips I have neither the time nor energy to devote to such a process, even if we had a yard large enough to support one.

addams wrote:How are our Posters in the Big White?

Do you Posters remain unharmed?
Is anyone else 'at risk' from Hard Water?
Just fine. All of the solid water fell last Tuesday, and by 8am Wednesday morning the roads were cleared enough to drive to work (though it took about 60 minutes instead of the usual 40). The weather was warm enough over the wipend to melt a little of the snow that's left, but there's still tons of it laying around, and the plow piles will probably be there for wips, but for the most part it's just business as usual.

ggh wrote:Yesterday I heard the words, "Bloody Albany!" Even though we were talking about something less-than-molpish, the two-worldiness made me smile to hear. :)
That's a new phrase for me, I'll have to tell my wife about that :D
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”