1813: "Vomiting Emoji"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zooty

1813: "Vomiting Emoji"

Postby Zooty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm UTC

Title text: "My favorite might be U+1F609 U+1F93F WINKING FACE VOMITING."

At least vomiting poop did not come up (before now).
Last edited by gmalivuk on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: 1813: "Vomiting Emoji"

Postby Whizbang » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:15 pm UTC

I hear the new Emoji movie will just be vomitting emoji for 2 hours.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm UTC

Zooty wrote:At least vomiting poop did not come up (before now).

GOOMHZooty!

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

I have to say this is absolutely hilarious. Somebody needs to actually propose this.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Squirrel sniper avatar by EoM
Me on: Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

Yes! Yes! Go on! Continue adding so many modifiers to unicode until it becomes a full-fledged language allowing you to describe unicode with unicode!

Modifiers were a mistake. (most notably skin tones)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 pm UTC

I want vomiting vomit.

BTW, there's already a 'vomit comet' IRL (look it up :P ) but it's not actually vomiting externally.

We could add a real-world-relevant emoji of a dog *eating* vomit, which they happily do.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Zinho

Postby Zinho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

I'm holding out for U+1F52B U+1F93F vomiting gun

I have to wonder, though, if it'll have different significance on the iPhone when Apple turns it into a vomiting squirt gun...

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Modifiers were a mistake. (most notably skin tones)

Modifiers themselves are fine. Some languages have a bunch of them, and they have so many characters that adding a new character for every combination is inefficient. I'm more inclined to say that emojis were a mistake, because A) most fonts don't support a significant part of the range and B) most people are only exposed to one or two emoji fonts anyway, which defeats the point of Unicode.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm UTC

Mirkwood wrote:

Modifiers themselves are fine. Some languages have a bunch of them, and they have so many characters that adding a new character for every combination is inefficient. I'm more inclined to say that emojis were a mistake, because A) most fonts don't support a significant part of the range and B) most people are only exposed to one or two emoji fonts anyway, which defeats the point of Unicode.

I must say that I only use the integrated image smilies, here, because they are integrated and I have to do something special (as I just have done :oops: ) for the time-honoured ;) and :( to not auto-convert.

On the next tablet over, I have people next to me in a frivolous game's high-score table with (by my uneducated eye) a red-haired oriental woman's head and shoulders icon (or maybe those are alien antenae, not those "chopsticks in the hairbun" thing) as part of the username... Wow. All well and good. Except that the person concerned is clearly flagged as German. There's also often Kanji/etc characters in the list, but not right now (the next most exotic non-emoji character is a series of ###s on one username).

I say, allow alphabetical (or typographical, or pictographical) symbols of all kinds actually in linguistic use (they can abuse a mixture of Chinese and Arabic either side of Latin punctuation to their hearts' contents), but pure pictures go too far in "Name" fields. If they couldmbe filtered against.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

͏͏
Mirkwood wrote:I'm more inclined to say that emojis were a mistake, because A) most fonts don't support a significant part of the range and B) most people are only exposed to one or two emoji fonts anyway, which defeats the point of Unicode.
Remember around ten years ago, when there were all those obnoxious banner ads urging you to install someone's proprietary whatsit so you could communicate with others using talking emoji? I'm not sure if the current situation is an improvement.

dash

Postby dash » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 pm UTC

That was a good one. Like old times...
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

The vomiting modifier is weirdly apropos, given that's more or less my reaction to the use of emoji in general.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

Emoji are a necessary part of the standard because the primary mission of Unicode is to losslessly interconvert between all of the pre-existing text encodings and many of those (especially the CJK ones) have emoji, so Unicode must support at least those emoji to accomplish its primary mission.

Adding race or gender modifiers seems a logical response to subsequent user complaints along the lines of "why is there only a dancing woman? I'm a man and I want to show dancing, why is there no dancing man?" (Actually I don't know that race modifiers really are necessary as I'm not sure there's anything racially identifying in any of the original emoji, so rendering them all in the traditional yellow seems racially-neutral enough to me).

Beyond that though, it's quite possible that this extension of emoji in unicode is getting a little out of hand.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:The vomiting modifier is weirdly apropos, given that's more or less my reaction to the use of emoji in general.

Or to their inclusion in Unicode.
Whizbang wrote:I hear the new Emoji movie will just be vomitting emoji for 2 hours.

Whatever that movie will be, it is completely irrelevant. The world was beyond repair the moment this movie made it past the elevator pitch.
✆✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games! ✆✆

Thanks to Tillian for the avatar! I wonder why it needed to be mine in particular...

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

Would this combining character affect characters other than emoji? I want to see a "vomiting Greek letter P".
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Squirrel sniper avatar by EoM
Me on: Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

drewnolan

Postby drewnolan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm UTC

Composition before Inheritance! I love it!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Whatever that movie will be, it is completely irrelevant. The world was beyond repair the moment this movie made it past the elevator pitch.

That it has Patrick Stewart in it, in the role he will have... must mean something.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :arrow: :|

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:09 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
somitomi wrote:Whatever that movie will be, it is completely irrelevant. The world was beyond repair the moment this movie made it past the elevator pitch.

That it has Patrick Stewart in it, in the role he will have... must mean something.

It means Stewart loves the ganj.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

Re: xkcd cartoons about emoji and vomiting ...

uncleroy

Postby uncleroy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

This made me remember an old site, Rainbows Puking Rainbows: http://www.rainbowpuke.com/

a9s

Postby a9s » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm UTC

Can't wait to see how this will be integrated into those "emojis as variable names" proposals.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

So there's no proposal required to get this happening. It'd be a vendor adoption (like gendered professions). So Android/Apple/Facebook just need to implement [WHATEVER][ZWJ][VOMIT] and it'll happen.

It'll be gross, but it'll happen.

But don't take my word for it.

Hi joee

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

One thing that's always bugged me about emoji is that there's no way to customize their colors beyond any built-in modifiers that might exist. I realize you wouldn't want them to always automatically take on the color assigned to the block of text they're in, but there are also a number of cases where being whatever color the OS makes them looks worse.

The other problem I have with them is that they're always constrained to the point size of the surrounding text, whereas traditional emoticons can be as big as the designers think is necessary. Anyone who's seen emojis in, say, YouTube comments on standard 96 dpi screens knows why this sucks.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm UTC

I had, fortunately, managed to avoid all knowledge of the emoji movie until this thread. Even on first reading, I thought it was a joke. It is not. :(

However, given the plot, it sounds more like it could be derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Men than the emojis themselves. While this is likely not the case, I am choosing to believe it for my mental well being.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Or he wants to seal his escape from the role of Charles Xavier?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm UTC

He voices an amoral coke-addicted psychopathic CIA director on a Seth McFarlane show. Then, after recording his lines for the day, he goes on to his evening gig at the Theatre, acting in whatever Shakespeare play he's doing that week.

Dude don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:standard 96 dpi screens

72dpi is a standard screen

96dpi is some johnny come lately microsoft abomination
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:That it has Patrick Stewart in it, in the role he will have... must mean something.

Or he wants to seal his escape from the role of Charles Xavier?

I think the man knows how to escape a role. He got the Professor X gig after being mercilessly typecast as Captain Picard.

I'd be interested to see him as the thirteenth Doctor.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 am UTC

What is the big deal with these ferschlugginer emojis?
If anyone, anywhere, ever catches me using emojis, please take the phone from my hand and break all my fingers.

Smileys, on the other hand, are still OK.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 am UTC

DanD wrote:I had, fortunately, managed to avoid all knowledge of the emoji movie until this thread. Even on first reading, I thought it was a joke. It is not. :(

However, given the plot, it sounds more like it could be derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Men than the emojis themselves. While this is likely not the case, I am choosing to believe it for my mental well being.

I have not spent any money on films like "Pixels", "Battleship", any of the "Transformer" franchise, or any of the LEGO movies.  You can add this 'emoji movie' abomination to that same list.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:I have not spent any money on films like "Pixels", "Battleship", any of the "Transformer" franchise, or any of the LEGO movies.  You can add this 'emoji movie' abomination to that same list.

Of those, I would say that The Lego Movie (yet to see the Batman one) is the absolute exception to the rest in that you really should see it, some time.

(Which is not to say that I understand you as having not seen it, merely that you have not spent any money on it... But on the assumption that you haven't done the former either, rather than spuriously disagree through your actual experience, seeing it is still my general advice, whether the pecuniary fallout is part of that or otherwise.)

prebijak

Postby prebijak » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am UTC

How should U+1F93F VOMITING MODIFIER interact with U+200D ZERO WIDTH JOINER (for example in this emoji). Is there something like priority of operations in Unicode?

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:14 pm UTC

A new corollary to Bill Watterson's "Verbing wierds language." "Vomiting wierds emoji."

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

This comic is strangely relebant, as I've been vomiting since Sunday. GOOM(GITract), Randall.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
not really Deadpool.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:standard 96 dpi screens

72dpi is a standard screen

96dpi is some johnny come lately microsoft abomination

I base my assessment on what anyone anywhere actually still uses, and I haven't seen anything below 96 since the pre-LCD days except on those deliberately oversized screens for people who need the Large Print Edition. (And even 96 is exclusively desktops now; laptops hover around 144 or something if they're not straight-up "retina" screens.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:
DanD wrote:I had, fortunately, managed to avoid all knowledge of the emoji movie until this thread. Even on first reading, I thought it was a joke. It is not. :(

I have not spent any money on films like "Pixels", "Battleship", any of the "Transformer" franchise, or any of the LEGO movies.  You can add this 'emoji movie' abomination to that same list.

Pixels and all transformer movies are utterly terrible, and I'd fully recommend not watching them to anyone. But battleship was surprisingly entertaining. Not good, but entertaining in a B-movie kind of way.

And the Lego Movie was one of the best movies of that year. It was a really good and funny movie. And I'm not the only one saying that, the movie was universally lauded by critics and audiences alike. It absolutely does not belong on that list.

The more recent lego batman movie was also good, but not nearly as much.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:10 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote: You can add this 'emoji movie' abomination to that same list.

And remove the LEGO movie. It's not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it's quite entertaining and I really like the animation. Mostly because it resembles the stop-motion "brickfilms" I've been watching on Youtube for a long time now, and I think that's intentional.
✆✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games! ✆✆

Thanks to Tillian for the avatar! I wonder why it needed to be mine in particular...

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 am UTC

Mirkwood wrote:

My bad, I meant modifiers within emoji specifically. In the regular character blocks I'd argue the opposite, the combined characters, are a mistake. But alas, unicode is the describing organisation, not the prescribing one.

Diadem wrote:The more recent lego batman movie was also good, but not nearly as much.

Heh, I was going to say it comes nowhere close to the lego movie, but I accidentally skipped through the Lego Batman: The Movie – DC Super Heroes Unite, not The lego batman movie. Slightly huge difference. :oops:

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:Would this combining character affect characters other than emoji? I want to see a "vomiting Greek letter P".

Vomiting tab character.

Vomiting carriage return?

Vomiting terminal bell!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:08 pm UTC

Vomiting backspace?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”