Suites

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

modularblues

Suites

Postby modularblues » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 am UTC

I find this a refreshing take on TV shows about lawyers. There's something awesome about a college dropout (Mike Ross played by Patrick J. Adams) taking on experienced lawyers by storm.
Spoiler:
I enjoy the bromance between Mike and his mentor Harvey Specter, the dynamic between Harvey and his mentor (Jessica Pearson played by Gina Torres), the trouble-making punching-bag Louis Litt, and the ambiguity between Mike and paralegal Rachel Zane.

el_loco_avs

Re: Suits

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

Also I like Harvey's secretary (?) Donna. She's so bad-ass. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Totally... if only more of the profs in my school can have admins like her... no more double-booking! Healthy breakfast/snacks in every group meeting!

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:20 am UTC

I do have to admit that Louis as a character annoys me. Because, if you look at USA network, all their shows are about cool, sexy people that usually look too young to be of a rank/prestige in a profession.

Take the Lawyers. I'm sorry, but some of the most famous lawyers in most powerful firms are older men. Harvey looks to be in his 30's. That's not the average age I see for power lawyers.

And it turns out that the one lawyer who is not only balding, but pudgy and of clear ethnic traits that are not Caucasian (and Jessica is the typical black woman with fine features and processed hair), is written to be the heavily disliked, socially inept creep.

I can't stress the women in most USA network shows. It's bad, really bad. In-office romance gets extremely obnoxious, and particularly so when all the power couples are made of all american Caucasian guy and Victoria's Secret models.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy elements of the show. I'm superficial enough to appreciate that the guys are pretty cute, and that the plot isn't bad. I like the bromance. I like that they made Jessica the female leader character she is, albeit a leader that is apparently inferior in skills than Harvey (considering she is constantly shown to miss tide-turners that the younger and less practiced male protagonists find) and as such moves toward becoming a token.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

big boss

Postby big boss » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I do have to admit that Louis as a character annoys me. Because, if you look at USA network, all their shows are about cool, sexy people that usually look too young to be of a rank/prestige in a profession.

Most people would rather watch a show with cool/sexy actors/actresses than the same exact show with "ugly" people I assume, especially with the types of shows that USA is airing. I do agree with you on your point of the over abundance of the white leads.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

Currently at s02e13, and I'm loving it, but
Spoiler:
I'm hating Rachel Zane right now.

She tells Mike she doesn't want to sleep with him because he's emotional and likely to make bad decisions. Then when he makes an emotionally charged bad decision, she's suddenly so fucking hurt like he betrayed some sacred bond they had - even though she'd turned him down.

And ok, a person might do that if they're hurt and defensive, but the show treats it like a normal, reasonable response?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”