Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Weeks » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

mhdfgfg wrote:Image

The second image link is broken apparently. Can't you use imgur?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

I think that's meant to be the same picture, but yeah, just use imgur like everyone else.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm UTC

its meant to be same pic. Never before I had to upload image to get direct link to it. First time I heard about imgur, but it seems like it's banned in this country.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

Lode Runner: The Lost Labyrinth looks like it matches the color scheme, though it obviously wasn't designed for Windows 98.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

Was the entire game like that? Found one screenshot from Lode Runner On-line: The Mad Monks' Revenge. Labeled it as "Secret Level".
Lode Runner Online Mad Monk.jpg
Lode Runner Online Mad Monk.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

(Worked off this list.)

Edit: Tried a reverse image search of the above image. Suggested a Commodore 64 version.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 pm UTC

Seems none of those. From zoomed in pic it can be said that characters are relatively tall, and main character has a white-ish head. I don't remember much about the game, except that i enjoyed playing it a lot. I only have that pic. Also it seems bricks are kinda red and stairs are kinda blue or something.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 am UTC

Documented Lode Runner well. Skimmed through many levels without success. Assumes a similar type game.

Flynn Sprint? Mentions it solely due to no useful video or screenshots. (Happens to be listening to Fury Sparks from Tales of Vesperia too.) Describes it as similar to Lode Runner.
Flynn Sprint.png
Flynn Sprint.png (12.29 KiB) Viewed 5093 times

Ruled out every other game. Might be more obscure or from a collection.

Oakfeather

Postby Oakfeather » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 am UTC

Hey guys,

So there was a game I used to play when I was younger, and now I cannot remember the name of it or too many details... but here's what I remember:

The game was for PC, you could download it from the internet.
I played it sometime in 2003-2006 ish time period on Windows XP.
I think it was in isometric 3d and each level was kinda like a maze. I think you had to avoid enemies and collect keys. I'm not sure if you could kill the enemies or just avoid running into them. The main character may have been somewhat feline. I think there were lot of puzzles to open a door or gate and get to a certain area.
The game had a free trial with about 10 or so levels, and the full version maybe had around 100.
I think the game used a lot of blue colors or blue mazes.

Anyone have an inkling of what I am talking about? It was free and I think you could see links to it on some free game aggregate websites, but it also had it's own website, I think.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 am UTC

I keep thinking of Jumpman (or rather Jumpman Lives), but the proportions are all wrong.

Maybe Apple Panic? There was a DOS version of that.

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 am UTC

Deva wrote:Documented Lode Runner well. Skimmed through many levels without success. Assumes a similar type game.

Flynn Sprint? Mentions it solely due to no useful video or screenshots. (Happens to be listening to Fury Sparks from Tales of Vesperia too.) Describes it as similar to Lode Runner.

Ruled out every other game. Might be more obscure or from a collection.

Not that game. Thank you anyway. This one is very hard to find I think. I searched it a lot, not just these days but in the past as well. Wish I never lost it in first place, but I was little.

The game most probably was a dos game though.

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Interesting to note from the picture, the stairs are extending up and down as well. Perhaps this was a vertical scroll game or vertical/horizontal scroll combination. And there seemes to be 6 enemies in this level, and I can't see any gold around to collect. Also interesting, the enemy just to the left of main character is on air, but how did it make it there, there was no jumping in lode runner, and the enemy does not seem to be falling from above because there seems to be a brick above him. Perhaps this is not a lode runner game, but I am so sure that it has to be. My mom loved that game, she never played any other game, and thats her playing the game in the picture. Strange...

magicking

Postby magicking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

PLEASE HELP

BACKGROUND Older game where a main character (you) sits in a white car gets to a rich guy that gives him demonic powers, at the end of the game the main character is killing that guys who gave him powers.

=pc
more info

it's a first person shooter and here are some of the abilities the main guy has

1. He has a few weapons (guns, knifes, shurikens maybe) that he can give a bost to buy using a right click i think... anyway his arm starts burning while he is doing that
2. he can clone himself on distance and switch bodies between clones (that is used to do some tasks where you have to hold multiple things to open a door)
3. once he kills someone he can quickly go up to them and click "E" to magically lift them with one hand suck up their soul (HP) gain amo and other staff like credit cards... than he drops them and they dissapear

now I remember that he is fighting some army that are supposedly angels...

he's mana symbol is a red ying yang that is in a specific color when he is loosing mana and it;s spinning counter-clockwise... and when he goes under a church and stat gaining mana it is red and it spins clockwise .... help me plese

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm UTC

Oakfeather wrote:Hey guys,

So there was a game I used to play when I was younger, and now I cannot remember the name of it or too many details... but here's what I remember:

The game was for PC, you could download it from the internet.
I played it sometime in 2003-2006 ish time period on Windows XP.
I think it was in isometric 3d and each level was kinda like a maze. I think you had to avoid enemies and collect keys. I'm not sure if you could kill the enemies or just avoid running into them. The main character may have been somewhat feline. I think there were lot of puzzles to open a door or gate and get to a certain area.
The game had a free trial with about 10 or so levels, and the full version maybe had around 100.
I think the game used a lot of blue colors or blue mazes.

Anyone have an inkling of what I am talking about? It was free and I think you could see links to it on some free game aggregate websites, but it also had it's own website, I think.

This sounds a lot link ntheninja
http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/nv2.html
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am UTC

Hi, I am still looking for this game, it might be a dos game. I want exactly the game shown in picture.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:31 pm UTC

mhdfgfg wrote:Hi, I am still looking for this game, it might be a dos game. I want exactly the game shown in picture.

And you've gotten a shitload of help. If someone notices it and answers later, fine. Otherwise - we don't know. Sorry. Stop asking.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:58 am UTC

Just for kicks I decided to take one more crack at it.

Aldo's Adventure?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/aldos ... creenshots

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:47 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
mhdfgfg wrote:Hi, I am still looking for this game, it might be a dos game. I want exactly the game shown in picture.

And you've gotten a shitload of help. If someone notices it and answers later, fine. Otherwise - we don't know. Sorry. Stop asking.

OK.

olus2000

Postby olus2000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:32 pm UTC

* Background: More than 2 years ago, Kongregate.com, game was inspired by the movie "Source Code".
* Year: Sorry, but i can't remember. More than 2 or maybe three years ago.
* Perspective: Text.
* Art style: Simple white background, grey text with important info highlighted in red. to the left was a bar with info you gathered so far.
* Environment: Not said, probably modern times, you were trying to prevent a sniper in some high building from assassinating an important person, traveling back in time every time you or the important person died, keeping gathered information and using it in further runs.
* Mood: A bit philosophical, especially the ending (i don't remember it, it was strange).
* Genre: Text, Time-travel, possibly Detective, Flash
* Gameplay: Text based, interaction through clicking important highlited fragments, starting from an alley you had to get to a nearby building, gather the information (room number, some phone numbers) and prevent a sniper from killing somebody traveling through the street. Every time you or that person died you were shifted back in time to the start, but with all the info you gathered.

I know it's not much for finding a short flash game, but I loved it, and would even appreciate advice on how to effectively search games on kongregate.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 am UTC

The Binary?

Winning Google search: "Source Code" Movie Kongregate.

Usually attempts to answer "What makes this game unique?". Tried iterations of Bodyguard, Assassin, Protect, Guard, and "Time Travel". Switched to the movie inspiration instead. Doubted more than one game on Kongregate like that. Checked Wikipedia and TVTropes for mentions. Returned nothing. Ran various forms of the correct search before finding it. May not work for all flash games, however.

siiidave

Postby siiidave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:02 am UTC

Hi, been racking my brain for years trying to remember a game title from the 80's... heres what I remember

* Background: Days of Dos I think, mid to late 80s I think it was on my old 64ghx pc
* System: Dos or Early windows but most likely dos
* Year: Mid to late 80s
* Perspective: Top Down
* Art style: n/k
* Environment: It was a top down shooter where you had a row of robots which you controlled against a row of robots the computer controlled at the top of the map. I remember there was various robots to choose to build your army, from fast robots that had rubbish lasers to large titans that had missiles, long rage lasers etc.. in the middle was room like obstacles which you could shoot through. I can remember you could control one robot at a time and set your non active robots to shoot automatically. cant remember much else.
* Mood: tactical game
* Genre: top down shooter
* Gameplay: I don't think it was turn based, but you had to choose the best lineup of robots or mechs to beat the opposition. I think it was more customisable than story line based words like mech, titan ring a bell but the game eludes me.

Any help ending my pain lol

Dave

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:58 pm UTC

Ultrabots or Combots?
Combots.gif
Combots.gif (9.09 KiB) Viewed 4403 times

Which is closer on graphics?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

I wonder if it could be Battle, from Bullfrog?

Long have I sought this game. It seems that despite its pedigree, it appeared exactly once on a 5.25" coverdisk in a 1992 issue of PC Review.

Image spoilered for bigness.
Spoiler:

Indigesta

Postby Indigesta » Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 am UTC

Hi all!

From time to time I make an attempt at finding an old game that I used to play back around the end of the 90s...hope somebody can help!

* Background: the gameplay was quite similar to Chip's challenge. You played a white square-like character who could shoot square-like enemies and had to find colour-coded keys in order to complete levels. I distinctly remember some of the enemies being ninjas, then you had the blood worm (or lava worm or magma worm?) - which was a fast running worm composed of 4-5 red circles - and you could use dynamite as a weapon.
* System: Dos / Windows 95?
* Year: mid / late 90s
* Perspective: 2D
* Environment: again, similar to Chip's challenge but with dark coloured maze-like levels; some level with lava pools maybe?
* Genre: I'd say adventure/puzzle
* Gameplay: arrow keys; space bar?

Thanks!

olus2000

Postby olus2000 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 pm UTC

Deva wrote:The Binary?

Winning Google search: "Source Code" Movie Kongregate.

Usually attempts to answer "What makes this game unique?". Tried iterations of Bodyguard, Assassin, Protect, Guard, and "Time Travel". Switched to the movie inspiration instead. Doubted more than one game on Kongregate like that. Checked Wikipedia and TVTropes for mentions. Returned nothing. Ran various forms of the correct search before finding it. May not work for all flash games, however.

Thanks a lot! That's exactly the game I was looking for.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

Indigesta wrote:Hi all!

From time to time I make an attempt at finding an old game that I used to play back around the end of the 90s...hope somebody can help!

* Background: the gameplay was quite similar to Chip's challenge. You played a white square-like character who could shoot square-like enemies and had to find colour-coded keys in order to complete levels. I distinctly remember some of the enemies being ninjas, then you had the blood worm (or lava worm or magma worm?) - which was a fast running worm composed of 4-5 red circles - and you could use dynamite as a weapon.
* System: Dos / Windows 95?
* Year: mid / late 90s
* Perspective: 2D
* Environment: again, similar to Chip's challenge but with dark coloured maze-like levels; some level with lava pools maybe?
* Genre: I'd say adventure/puzzle
* Gameplay: arrow keys; space bar?

Thanks!

Super ZZT?

Sounds more combat-focused than Chip's Challenge. May compare closer to Deadly Rooms of Death.

Is an Acid Worm possible as well? Asks due to Diamond Caves 3. Resembles lava. (Changes nothing. Found neither.)
Diamond Caves 3 Acid.png
Diamond Caves 3 Acid.png (207.87 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

Indigesta

Postby Indigesta » Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Super ZZT?

Sounds more combat-focused than Chip's Challenge. May compare closer to Deadly Rooms of Death.

Is an Acid Worm possible as well? Asks due to Diamond Caves 3. Resembles lava. (Changes nothing. Found neither.)
Diamond Caves 3 Acid.png

Thanks for trying, unfortunately it's neither Super ZZT nor Diamond Caves. Yes, it was quite combat-focused (actually I've never played Chip's challenge - I can say that the perspective and puzzles are similar but I'm not sure about the rest). There were different kinds of enemies (red, green, blue squares etc) that required different quantities (and types?) of ammo to kill.

I'm not sure about the acid worm - could be, but I think blood worm or lava worm are more likely to be correct!

uxorioushornet

Postby uxorioushornet » Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

Eowiel wrote:
DaBigCheez wrote:Hmm, have been trying to find a decent spacefaring-trading-game-kind-of-a-thing, and remembering one I used to play way back when, but Google is being no help.

* Background: Used to play while growing up, probably late '90s/early '00s; so, nostalgia kicking in pretty good. I mostly remember it for the races/factions having their own musical themes, some of them being very familiar drum cadences or patriotic-ish songs; the other specific thing I remember is that one of the races had a ship that looked sort of like a bubbly gel pickle. I am not sure if it was actually named the Globulator, or if I always just named it that myself.
* System: PC of some type, probably either win-95 or MS-DOS. May have been shareware/come on floppies, but again, uncertain.
* Year: Late '90s/early '00s, probably. Possibly as early as early/mid-'90s - I think I was playing it several years before Halo came out.
* Perspective: 2D third-person, I believe - you would make trades and watch a little animation of your ship zipping around in space, but wouldn't directly fly it.
* Art style: Cartoonish in general - some of the races looked like somewhat whimsical paint-by-numbers drawings, I believe.
* Environment: Lots of zipping around in space - I'm not sure if interplanetary or interstellar. Again, the "whoosh" of the animation with the ship zipping through space - which I believe was just the ship sprite/image being essentially copy-pasted over the static background - is one of my main memories.
* Mood: Fairly light-hearted and comical, I believe.
* Genre: Trading game, with ships to carry goods between planets and price differentials between them.
* Gameplay: I remember very little of this, besides that the races/ships had different stats in some way (cargo bay, top speed, etc.), I believe random events could happen between planets as you were hauling cargo, and I believe you could interact with the other (AI-controlled) traders in some way - I'm not sure if there was direct interaction, or just updates on their progress in making money relative to yours, but I do know that occasionally a window would pop up with their portrait and theme song giving some info about them or maybe having them taunt you.

Also, if anyone knows of other games that might play out similarly to this, let me know. :P Basically, "like Freelancer, without the combat and more turn-based-ish/less fully-attention-demanding when things are going on".

Maybe Gazzilionaire by Lavaminds?

Sounds like Warpath.

https://youtu.be/lvxgLN2nyug

jecronako

Postby jecronako » Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

okay so recently my grandad passed away and i remember playing a pc game on his laptop about 10 years ago? it's been bugging for a while that i have absolutely no idea what this game was called, here's what i remember about it:

-> main character was a bird like creature (i think the bird was coloured a bit like a dark blue penguin? but don't quote me on that)
-> the graphics were 3D to an extent
-> each level featured your character trying to get to its female counterpart
-> there were certain themes to each of the levels (ice, jungle, and some weird purple themed one i think). i think the first set of levels were ice related
-> it appeared as though each of the levels were 'floating' in space
-> the levels sometimes featured moving platforms
-> the levels also sometimes contained stretches in which your character would have to 'slide' around the level
-> if you fell off the levels you would lose a life and have to restart the level (i'm not sure how many lives you had though?)

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri May 26, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

mhdfgfg

Postby mhdfgfg » Wed May 31, 2017 11:09 am UTC

hi babes ;) did you miss me?

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed May 31, 2017 12:40 pm UTC

No.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:34 pm UTC

Neither did I
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

splatpope

Postby splatpope » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm UTC

Hi. I need your help. This is going to be very hard and I suspect the only way you can help me is if you actually played the game, but you're welcome to try using your google fu.

* Background: I first discovered this game when I was a teenager. I used to search for free games on the internet and found some nice esoteric stuff like VRML games, but this game was most probably using Shockwave as I remember finding it through a free online game aggregator (or maybe through google through some specific search terms that could return meaningful results 10 years ago). I was too young to even understand english and couldn't really get into it, but at the end of it's lifetime I remember that it was populated by a decent number of high level players. The game was clearly the work of an indie developer, starting as a tech demo and slowly progressing to a viable mmo. I remember that the game had it's own website and forums, but I can't find anything.
* System: PC, most likely browser using Shockwave or any 3D graphics tech used at the time for browsers.
* Year: Between 2003 and 2008. Outside of this range, I can't remember knowing about it. The game is most likely discontinued and impossible to find on google anymore.
* Perspective: Either FPS or TPS
* Art style: Colorful , but not comical. Pretty standard for a sci-fi mmo. Closest I can think of in regards to modeling and texturing quality is Anarchy Online, but less "dark". Actually, played AO at a similar time.
* Environment: Tutorial area is more "natural", then you can go to at most 5 other areas that are more "technological" or "urban", yet keeping with the sci-fi theme. IIRC, you warped by getting to a special spot and typing a chat command. The game was THAT primitive.
* Mood: Being an indie mmo, it was pretty neutral.
* Genre: Science-Fiction MMO FPS/TPS. It was experimental and independent.
* Gameplay: You start in a tutorial area where you learn how to equip items, craft ammunition for your ranged weapons aswell as any other item, you learn how to use your jetpack which I believe was a pretty defining element of gameplay. You then explore other areas as you level up and kill more dangerous monsters.
IIRC, the game had at least 3 playable races : humans, smaller amphibian-like aliens, bigger hulking aliens. Basically, humans were all rounders, the small aliens were good at ranged weaponry and crafting and the big aliens were better at melee combat and general fighting. Higher level players had impressive looking hi tech armor and melee weapons, they also loitered in a high traffic area much like the general stores of Rome in Anarchy Online. Ranged weapons could be kinetic or use special ammunition when they were alien.

I am not 100% sure that the game was played in the browser, the more likely alternative was that the browser launched a small client. I'm also not sure that it used Shockwave, but I clearly remember discovering it at the same time as game like Sherwood Dungeon (uugh..) though my memory could be failing me.

Feel free to try stimulating my memory, I really want to unearth this cool game even if it most probably died. The most important thing to know about this game is that it was a very obscure small scale effort that only a teenager hungry for new free games could possibly find :p

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

splatpope

Postby splatpope » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 am UTC

Deva wrote:Endless Ages?

Sweet crispy jesus you might be my eternal hero :D

Kiresaur

Postby Kiresaur » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

Okay, might be complicated since I don't remember much.

I know I used to play this game that looked like a top-down view dungeon crawler. Must've been an early windows, 98, 97, because that's what we had when I was a child. Could've been DOS.
The game had the screen showing the dungeon occupying most of the screen, and the interface/menus to the right, I THINK. I remember most of the menus being grey.
The dungeon-view would show where you were and would only reveal the tiles/rooms you had already been to. You would walk around, fight enemies, get stronger, find loot. I don't remember if there were an end game. I'm assuming you'd click in the direction you wanted to go in the menus. I remember the portraits seemed like they were drawn on Paint. Very pixelated, very simple, didn't look good at all. For some reaosn, I keep thinking about a green dragon, but that might've never been there for real. I think you could build your own team of adventurers.

If anyone has ANY idea of what this is, I'd like some help, thanks!

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

Kiresaur

Postby Kiresaur » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Amberstar?

No, there were never a first person view. It was top down all the way through. I think the combat was just, click the option and the game would tell you how well you did. I think.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “Gaming”