1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun May 21, 2017 10:41 am UTC

My garden still works fine.

KXA: Yes?
B: hello, yyyyyym, I wanted to tell something. I heard you wanted to wisit me today later,
KXA: Yes, but after the city. We're in the car already.
B: So, what I wanted to tell is: No need to hurry. If you arrive later, that's even better. I'm outside now. I'll be looking for an "object generator".
KXA: So maybe we should meet you first and the city later?
B: Why?
KXA: I'm interested, What's an object generator?
B: No idea. I've never seen one. And also it says it was there in the 80s and not now.
KXA: "there"?
B: near the gate at the road to nowhere. But what will your hacker think of this?
KXA: He says it's a bad idea. I'll try to convince him.
B: Because it is.
KXA: Luckily, I don't have to convince you.
B: Do what you want. Have a nice trip and watch out for batmans.
KXA: Thanks, see you soon.
B: Bye.

I'm...not sure what to say.
That was not how I expected that conversation to go.

Continue Unging every oldpix.
Wait For It.

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 am UTC

Can you prune?
And if you can, does your pruning stay in effect when the page periodically reloads?

I thought that perhaps the changes to the 1190 page were significant, but if they're part of some change that is affecting Garden too, then, probably not.

Last edited by ggh on Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun May 21, 2017 11:13 am UTC

No, and the one on my other sand seems to have deleted itself ):

But now that it's regrowing, I can prune it.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 21, 2017 11:35 am UTC

So you can prune the stuff that's growing now, or the old stuff too? I want to weed my beloved balloon garden (too many guys in trees and that big balloon is distracting). Oh, hold on - I wonder if somehow my garden has forgotten that it's my garden.

What do you make of "hello, yyyyyym"
and batmans?
Last edited by ggh on Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne

Re: 1190: 36

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun May 21, 2017 11:43 am UTC

The original garden was deleted, but I can prune the stuff that's there now.

Not sure about the yyyyym, but If you don't know he's talking on a phone, it looks like he is adjusting a mask. Perhaps an inside joke.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 21, 2017 11:57 am UTC

I totally thought that was a mask, or a mullet with male-pattern baldness, for a good while.

A bunch of y's starting a non-word looks somehow familiar....
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Re: 34: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun May 21, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

I've been playing with the object generator, but every file I upload returns "syntax error" or "top level undefined." Did we ever figure out how to get it to work?

Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1499

Postby mscha » Sun May 21, 2017 2:10 pm UTC

PRUNGBUCKS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Exodies.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MY ONG IS FULL OF SKITCHERTS

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

ggh wrote:What do you make of "hello, yyyyyym"
It's my fault, that I forgot that I forgot that in English how you read things in not how you would expect. And, especially, "y" doesn't work.
It was supposed to be something similar to this https://youtu.be/oIMNmiZW1t0?t=3m3s (only that in the video it's more "e" (not English) that "y"). I didn't know how to write it so I wrote it like that.

and batmans?
The batmans probably require some help from contextbot.
There was a campaign "Nie bądź batmanem" (don't be a batman).
A "batman" in this context meant a cyclist at night without any light.
B and kxa (others too) liked this word and they started calling such people batmans.
Where b lives you can actually meet some batmans on the road.
That's how "have a nice trip and watch out for batmans" became a thing they say.
Even at day, because it just sounds cool.

I never mentioned batmans before so you could not know it.

Related:
I went for a walk, together with my cousin and his dog. While walking we were playing the two words game and talking about things.
At some point I said something like "Yeah, that sounds reasonable. So that's obviously not how we will do it.". Then I realised that I'm saying it while being just a few steps away from where "Do anything to avoid the most obvious and logical action" was said.

ucim wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:That explains why the clerecy is going "tsk tsk tsk".
So that's where this sound is coming from. I thought it was my watch.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne

31: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun May 21, 2017 5:35 pm UTC

So not like this?
Because that's what I pictured.

RSIR
Spoiler:
Mans dressed like Bats.png

When I ride at night, I am usually Batman, none of my bikes have had lights. Sometimes I wear a head lamp, but it is too bright; it annoys other cyclists and makes it so that I cannot see anything the light is not shining at.
sketch1495388279658.png
Mans dressed like Bats2.png
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 am UTC

Ha! Awesomeful! Love it!

Thanks for the explanations, balthasar. You're right - the batmans thing does sound cool. :)

Oops, we missed this beauty by mscha:

And currently:
Agatha the Awesomeful

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote: https://dnd.chirpingmustard.com
And
https://app.roll20.net/join/2017193/HQB_6A

This is the first Tim some of us have played, so you'll fit right in.

Thanks! I'll check it out when I can find the Tim. :)

Here he is.

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, the phrasing of that was quite odd.

Still bothers me to this dip. I stare at the newpix, then I think about the phrasing, then I ottishly overanalyze it*, then I think I'm reading too much into it, then I return to staring at the newpix.
It implies that they are targets. Remember, "they don't like us very much".

Jose

But even so, wouldn't you say, "I'm surprised we haven't seen any people yet"? Or if they were expecting some hostility, maybe "I'm surprised nobody's yelled at us yet," or something along those lines. What they say seems so awkward. Besides, they don't really know if anyone has seen them. Maybe someone saw them from far away, and just didn't interact with them. One of the mysteries that will probably never be solved.

BlitzGirl wrote:Doesn't time travel tell all tales?

Yes, unlike dead men.
(That comment may have been inspired by the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie.)

BlitzGirl wrote:ImageI was trying to pick my favorite computercolor from the batches on the original neural-network tumblr post (there is a sea of good choices), and while I really like Dondarf, I think that Sane Green has to be the winner because it speaks to me on multiple levels.

I wonder what our own OTC/OTT color names might be. Semencoffeesea, Sunset Gray, Real Castle, Max Fading, Cueball are all OTC colors I could think of. As for OTTish ones, there might be SpURLer Blue, Flashy Gif, Beesnake, Quotetree, and of course the multitude of colors harvested from OTTer avatars (mscha Scarlet, Hamply Beret, Zooman Green, Middle-Sized Wolpy, Gingercat, etc.).

That tumblr post made me :azule:. My favorite color is the unfortunately and inaccurately named "Gray Pubic," but Ghasty Pink is also nice. :)

How about Snake Brown, Radioactive Blue, Beautiful Blood Red, Molpyberry, and Sky White?

GnomeAnne wrote:So not like this?
Because that's what I pictured.

RSIR
Spoiler:
When I ride at night, I am usually Batman, none of my bikes have had lights. Sometimes I wear a head lamp, but it is too bright; it annoys other cyclists and makes it so that I cannot see anything the light is not shining at.
sketch1495388279658.png

That's what I pictured too. And GnomeAnne, I'm wagging my finger at you for riding without a light. :evil: Get a headlamp that will shine onto the ground rather than into other cyclists' eyes. It's so dangerous to ride with no light!

That refresh thing with Time is weird. But Garden is working just fine. I had deleted all my gardens and forgotten all about it, but now I've gone and started some things growing. Just what I need, another distraction. :roll:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 22, 2017 2:14 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:But even so, wouldn't you say, "I'm surprised we haven't seen any people yet"?
No... the dire consequences aren't from seeing people, they are from being seen, perhaps evidenced by flying rocks and such.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 am UTC

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But even so, wouldn't you say, "I'm surprised we haven't seen any people yet"?
No... the dire consequences aren't from seeing people, they are from being seen, perhaps evidenced by flying rocks and such.

Jose

I got the distinct impression that Cuegan's tribe are scavengers, and the prior owners of objects do not appreciate having their objects scavenged. (In some cases, they might not have finished using them yet!)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 am UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

Hmmm, maybe. There are still less awkward ways to say it: "I'm surprised nobody's noticed us yet." "I'm surprised nobody's yelled at us yet." But I still think that you'd be more likely to comment from your own point of view rather than the more passive "been seen by any people."

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1513

Postby mscha » Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 am UTC

SLEEKUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by kasmeneo.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:OTT: ONE TRUE TYMIVERSARY

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 am UTC

Beanish markUNGs that likely spell out,
"Why the ch*rp are you reading this when you should be RUNNING to higher ground?"

balthasar_s wrote:
and batmans?
The batmans probably require some help from contextbot.
There was a campaign "Nie bądź batmanem" (don't be a batman).
A "batman" in this context meant a cyclist at night without any light.
B and kxa (others too) liked this word and they started calling such people batmans.
Where b lives you can actually meet some batmans on the road.
That's how "have a nice trip and watch out for batmans" became a thing they say.
Even at day, because it just sounds cool.

I never mentioned batmans before so you could not know it.

Treeish! I would have just thought of subliminal batmans from the drawing hamburger.

lmjb1964 wrote:How about Snake Brown, Radioactive Blue, Beautiful Blood Red, Molpyberry, and Sky White?

Perfect! Of course we would need bluecave blue, and Megan's beautiful red.

ggh wrote:So the page refresh thing going on with 1190, is it related to what's also going on with Garden, and why Garden doesn't work anymore?

I can see my old gardens, but I can't seem to edit them anymore. Endish. I don't think there's a way to fix that, because I'm using the same browser but the gardens no longer recognize me as their "owner." (Plus linden.xkcd.com no longer seems to work, which is how I was accessing half of them.) All of the gardens are also intermittently refreshing for me, though not as raptorishly as 1190. I set up a new one just to see what would happen, and it does seem to be editable and growing, but also refreshing.

Rest (grow?) in peace to the following uneditable gardens:

Phallus Garden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#c9b82536-fa7c-11 ... 010a8e0005
Big Balloon Garden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#76cd2536-fa88-11 ... 010a8e0018
UFO Garden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#9200ca70-fa7d-11 ... 010a8e0007
Beehive Garden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#d2c61d1e-facb-11 ... 010a8e000e
Cuegarden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#13f64e98-fab4-11 ... 010a8e0017
Suicidal Megan Garden: https://xkcd.com/1663/#80f53f62-fb5f-11 ... 010a8e000f
Twin Lampposts Garden: http://xkcd.com/1663/#71da3a14-fcae-11e ... 010a8e0006
Hitchcockian Garden: http://xkcd.com/1663/#366d299c-fa82-11e ... 010a8e0006

The most frustrating part is that I can see a bit of pruning I'd like to do in most of these...but I guess they're growing wild now. Be free, gardens!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 am UTC

On the subject of gardens, is Sandgarden still working for everyone? I changed some things in the way taixzo.com is hosted, and hopefully it doesn't make your browsers forget the data for the site.

Also: based on that blog post, this color is now known as Testing and should be the color used whenever one is testing things.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

GnomeAnne

Re: 22

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon May 22, 2017 5:45 am UTC

ggh wrote:Oops, we missed this beauty by mscha:
I had this as my desktop background for a while.

lmjb1964 wrote:Get a headlamp that will shine onto the ground rather than into other cyclists' eyes. It's so dangerous to ride with no light!
I know, I know, if I go back to using I bicycle frequently I'll make sure to get one.

Gingercat wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

I got the distinct impression that Cuegan's tribe are scavengers, and the prior owners of objects do not appreciate having their objects scavenged. (In some cases, they might not have finished using them yet!)
Maybe they were just trying to make a tire swing.

I never made a Sandgarden, I'll have to try that.
My xkcd gardens were far more minimalistic than any of BlitzGirl's or ggh's. To me, they don't seem as relaxing when there's that much going on.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon May 22, 2017 5:57 am UTC

taixzo wrote:this color is now known as Testing and should be the color used whenever one is testing things.
I wonder what the people in my ffs will say if I start writing all my reports in this color.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1516

Postby mscha » Mon May 22, 2017 7:10 am UTC

PSYCHOLUNGUISTS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Zerobot.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:EVERY TIME YOU MOLPY ABOUT, PONY PUNSAWS A WOWTERFALL. PLEASE, THINK OF THE WOWTERFALLS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 am UTC

That is a steakish OTColored. I think it's been a while since I've seen it because it feels fresh and new all over again!

taixzo wrote:On the subject of gardens, is Sandgarden still working for everyone? I changed some things in the way taixzo.com is hosted, and hopefully it doesn't make your browsers forget the data for the site.

Seems to still work molpishly for me! Image

GnomeAnne wrote:My xkcd gardens were far more minimalistic than any of BlitzGirl's or ggh's. To me, they don't seem as relaxing when there's that much going on.

Of course! There are many ways to Time Garden.

balthasar_s wrote:
taixzo wrote:this color is now known as Testing and should be the color used whenever one is testing things.
I wonder what the people in my ffs will say if I start writing all my reports in this color.

They will probably congratulate you on finally discovering the appropriate report color after all this Time.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 am UTC

taixzo wrote:On the subject of gardens, is Sandgarden still working for everyone? I changed some things in the way taixzo.com is hosted, and hopefully it doesn't make your browsers forget the data for the site.
Seems to work pretty well here. Further testing is ongoing, but so far, so good.

edit : looks like only the first lamp allows stuff to grow, but iirc, that was already the case before.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

balthasar_s

Re: 34: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I've been playing with the object generator, but every file I upload returns "syntax error" or "top level undefined." Did we ever figure out how to get it to work?
Sustainabilizer managed to add 27 EU07s to the generator queue, and then the xkcd foums were mustarded, and then nobody continued.

I took a look on what you uploaded. I found some interesting things.
BSTA

GnomeAnne

16, almost there.

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

BlitzGirl wrote:They will probably congratulate you on finally discovering the appropriate report color after all this Time.
I have been ninja'd almost word for word.

balthasar_s wrote:I took a look on what you uploaded. I found some interesting things.
So the uploads were successful, they were just not useable by the generator. I think the video I made didn't upload correctly, was it too large?
Some of the file extensions were changed to see if the generator would accept them.
Also, I put one more thing there.

Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Yay! yay! It's Laura Mae!
Things are looking right today. :)
The warmest hugs we can convey
reach for you, Laura Mae. :)
Beautifully Said.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Ketchup for wips, and a lasting peach!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:
edo wrote:Converting everyone's posts to Beanish.
What a corpus that would give us! (Ninja'd, but wanted to welcome edo back!)

Jose

What percentage of the words in the English language have been said in the OTT?
Exactly one word in the English language is in the OTT. That word is 'the'.
mrob27 wrote:Hey molpies, guess what? Individual posts' subject lines no longer get shown on the IXCT index page. So I'm editing this to remove the "1190: Time:" bit from the beginning of the subject line.
Ahh, looks like they got sick of my shenanigans. (By which I mean my normal behaviour.)
mikrit wrote:I just noticed balthasar_s's denial from November, and I'll add that I agree with SBN. Also, since you (balthasar_s) are creative and inventive, calling you "The Professor" in poetry might be regarded as a kenning, the kind of metaphor that makes old Icelandic poetry so incomprehensible, even when translated, I mean. And then I read the Wikipedia article on kenning and realized that Icelandic poets would probably have felt at home with the OTT jargon. There are simple kennings, like "sea-steed" for ship and "slayer of giants" for Thor. But then there are recursive kennings: to understand "feeder of war-gull", you must first figure out that "war-gull" is a kenning for raven, and then figure out that "feeder of raven" is a kenning not for a zookeeper but for a warrior. The recursive nesting can be even deeper, up to seven elements have been used, but apparently the great Snorri thought that using more than five was extravagant. Yeah, you must draw the line somewhere!

According to Wikipedia, the longest known kenning is nausta blakks hlé-mána gífrs drífu gim-slöngvir “fire-brandisher of blizzard of ogress of protection-moon of steed of boat-shed”, which simply means "warrior". I know it must be true since I found it on the Internet. Or if someone has vandalized the kenning entry on Wikipedia, I swear it wasn't me.
I remember reading all about that when researching for some character names for Mage Stones. Fascinating stuff! And rather OTTish really.
Sciscitor wrote:Hello fellow OTTers! This is a PSA:

Someone built a robOTTer to spy on us! Videolink

Spoiler:
So - as was suspected times before - anyone of us or all could be GLR or a bot.

Also beware of the evil YouTube... its goal is to suck you in with impossible cute videos of baby molpies!

SQEEEE!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Thank you, addams, for pointing out that I forgot to respond to the thing I most wanted to respond to!

ggh wrote:Yay! yay! It's Laura Mae!
Things are looking right today. :)
The warmest hugs we can convey
reach for you, Laura Mae. :)

ImageImage
I think this is one of those times where I had replied in my head, but forgot that I didn't do it IRL.

Speaking of hugs, our Neil could use some hugs and molpish thoughts. He posted the following on Facebug. I asked if it was ok to repost it here, and he said yes.

Neil, on Facebug, wrote:Hi friends

Not everybody knows this, but when I was born the doctors said: there is something wrong with this boy’s kidneys. They were 4 cm to big (twice as big as they should have been). However, as they made echo’s to determine what was wrong they also detected something more insidious: they saw cysts in my kidneys. Over the years these cysts grew, I got more cysts and my kindeys slowly lost their filtering capacity. I got dietary restrictions, medication and the checkups increased in frequency.

I refused to let that limit me. I finished the Nijmegen Marches twice (4 days of walking 50 km). I biked a lot. I hiked a lot. I went to parties and pubs and stayed up till the not so early hours of the morning.

However my kidneys continued to slowly lose their filtering capacity. And past months they suddenly lost a lot. Which was a known risk and not something I could have done much against, but now the filtering capacity of my kidneys is starting to limit me. I can’t bike much anymore. I need more time to recover from just about anything. I can’t work full time anymore.

However, there is hope. My brother has graciously offered a kidney to keep me alive without dialysis. We are currently being tested extensively to see if we are a match. In time I expect to have a fully functioning kidney again.

:(

Edited to remove his brother's name.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1534

Postby mscha » Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 am UTC

FILCHUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:A MOLPYSNAKE, A MOLPYSNAKE, MY KINGDOM FOR A MOLPYSNAKE

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:They will probably congratulate you on finally discovering the appropriate report color after all this Time.
Well, I'm the one who is supposed to know about testing things. So it would be embarrassing if they knew it and I didn't.
After all, I'm supposed to be the "test specjalist" there.
Yes, they actually wrote it with the "j":
specjal.png
specjal.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 10565 times

Interestingly, others who also have this word have it written correctly.
Only I have the "j".
Maybe I'm special.
No, wait, I mean
specjal
or rather
specjal.

BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish! I would have just thought of subliminal batmans
Which is related.
The reason why you should not be a batman is that without lights, in the night you become subliminal.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA

mrob27

1190: Time: KEEP CALM AND MOLPY ON

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
mrob27 wrote: Hey molpies, guess what? […]
Ahh, looks like they got sick of my shenanigans. (By which I mean my normal behaviour.)

But as @taixzo pointed out, our shenanigans still appear on the front page of the fora. And that might be okay, because there's no ambiguity on that page. The forum area is identified as "Individual XKCD Comic Threads", and the latest post is identified separately as "Re: 1190: 'Time'". The thing that they fixed was on this page, where the "topics" had been identified by the subject line of their latest post, rather than by the subject line of their first post.

GnomeAnne wrote:I've been playing with the object generator […] Did we ever figure out how to get it to work?

This appears to be a puzzle that was meant to be solved collectively by everyone. Unfortunately, the culture of working together on puzzles seems to have faded away. @Sustainabilizer discovered a few login names and told us that they are: b, fth, and kxa. Xe also tried at least two passwords (which xe did not identify, but they didn't work so it doesn't matter). That's about all anyone has been willing to say about it.
  If people don't share what they figured out about these puzzles, then it just helps to make the OTT an unfriendly place and a demoralising experience. It's not like the winner gets a big cash prize (or do they?).

taixzo wrote: On the subject of gardens, is Sandgarden still working for everyone?

Yep, it works for me too (Firefox Ubuntu) and like @karhell, only the first lamp works.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time: KEEP CALM AND MOLPY ON

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: @Sustainabilizer discovered a few login names and told us that they are: b, fth, and kxa. Xe also tried at least two passwords (which xe did not identify, but they didn't work so it doesn't matter).
Sustainabilizer did find the correct password which worked. And shared what he found.
See this post.
Right after he posted it, the xkcd forums became mustarded and this post wasn't as noticed as it should.
I don't want to disappoint you but there is very little left to find.
Everything you need is here.
BSTA

mrob27

1190: Time: BEARAPTORS ∩ COMAVISIONS ≠ SPOILERCAKE-OTTIFIERS

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 am UTC

Oh yes I remember that image. That's from this post in which you were explaining how @Sustainabilizer figured out how to activate BFTF. Thank you for pointing to it.

Has anyone told us what was in the file "tlrtrick.ogdf" that caused it to be turned into the output text "EU07 (4E) electric locomotive, adjusted to lunar environment."? No, I guess not. Apparently you said in this post that it always uses "[not] the uploaded file but […] eu07-4e.ogdf from the generator's file system which is inaccessible from Outside" and then you suggested that uploading files doesn't matter, we should just set the quantity to 0.
  You also ended that post with "There will be more posts. / Wait for it."
  Of course there were more posts, and we didn't have to Wait long. This is the OTT after all. But I guess that if "Everything you need is here" then there were no more posts relevant to Object generator online.
  So perhaps it served its purpose already? Just a way to have something in real life that's fun to play with and which also exists within the BFTF story?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 23, 2017 8:44 am UTC

PassUNG the riverish baobab:

balthasar_s wrote:Only I have the "j".
Maybe I'm special.
No, wait, I mean
specjal
or rather
specjal.

We already knew that, balthajar! :)

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of hugs, our Neil could use some hugs and molpish thoughts. He posted the following on Facebug. I asked if it was ok to repost it here, and he said yes.

Poor Neil! I really hope his brother is a match.
Sending molpish thoughts his way as fast as molpishly possible. ImageImageImage Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Re: 1190: Time: KEEP CALM AND MOLPY ON

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:[
GnomeAnne wrote:I've been playing with the object generator […] Did we ever figure out how to get it to work?

This appears to be a puzzle that was meant to be solved collectively by everyone. Unfortunately, the culture of working together on puzzles seems to have faded away. @Sustainabilizer discovered a few login names and told us that they are: b, fth, and kxa. Xe also tried at least two passwords (which xe did not identify, but they didn't work so it doesn't matter). That's about all anyone has been willing to say about it.
  If people don't share what they figured out about these puzzles, then it just helps to make the OTT an unfriendly place and a demoralising experience. It's not like the winner gets a big cash prize (or do they?).

I'm sure no one is withholding information. I know that GnomeAnne and ggh in particlular have been puthing forth theories and queries trying to solve balthapuzzler's puzzles. The problem is that we just don't have as many OTTers hanging around to tackle the puzzles. In the old dips, you had a multitude of OTTers trying to get the the bottom of things.

I think there's a page in the wiki for these OTT puzzles, right? Showing what information has already been discovered?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 am UTC

I started a page: Puzzles_and_Mysteries but still haven't added most of what I'd like to see there (hmm, looks like I haven't even added my gridded version of Find-the-OTTers). I welcome any and all help on that front. :) It might be longer than I'd hope getting back to it....

Oh, poor Neil's kidneys. Sending him the most molpish wishes for a smooth and successful transplant.

This IS a bad idea.
It's much better to quickly finish your business in the city and then have the rest of the day only for yourself.

Also, you don't think you will find anything here.

But he's smiling, no?
Last edited by ggh on Tue May 23, 2017 12:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

How do I even generate anything?

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Has anyone told us what was in the file "tlrtrick.ogdf" that caused it to be turned into the output text "EU07 (4E) electric locomotive, adjusted to lunar environment."? No, I guess not.
I don't think so.
Maybe it's time for another explanation. Maybe a little later. I don't have the time to find the right words now. Try changing anything in the file and see what happens then.

Apparently you said in this post that it always uses "[not] the uploaded file but […] eu07-4e.ogdf from the generator's file system which is inaccessible from Outside"
I does not always use the file [...]eu07-4e.ogdf. It usses the file for which the path was defined in tlrtrick.ogdf

and then you suggested that uploading files doesn't matter
no
we should just set the quantity to 0.
Sustainabilizer was afraid that the moonbase team will not like it if he starts spamming the object generator with things to generate.
I suggested to set the quantity to 0.
Successfuly adding 0 items of something to the object generator queue will not cause any problems.

You also ended that post with "There will be more posts. / Wait for it."
But I guess that [...] then there were no more posts relevant to Object generator online.
Yes, what I meant was that there will be more posts about bftf.

Just a way to have something in real life that's fun to play with and which also exists within the BFTF story?
Yes, that 's what I wanted.
There are still things to find about the object generator but that's not very much.
Is "/generator/p/eu07/4e/latest/eu07-4e.ogdf" the only possible path?
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Countdown Timer: 3

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pm UTC

Much of what I was planning to say here has been made redundant by b's post.
The file uploaded needs to contain a path and instructions for the object generator. The items that can be generated are already on the server, but we don't know what they are.
The password CFRTdsn'tapproV
Works with the user account kxa
I've tried uploading several different file types, and I uploaded files with their extensions changed to ogdf (object generator dump file?)
It only returned errors, probably because cat pictures aren't considered valid instructions.
But, if you want to upload something silly you made, go ahead, apparently balthasar can access the files, so that wasn't a total waste of Tim.

lmjb1964 wrote:I think this is one of those times where I had replied in my head, but forgot that I didn't do it IRL.
I do this a lot, or I really like something and want to think about what to say about it, and then forget to ever say it.

Neil wrote:Not everybody knows this, but when I was born the doctors said: there is something wrong with this boy’s kidneys. They were 4 cm to big (twice as big as they should have been).
Sending Molpish thoughts and prayers his way.

b wrote:This IS a bad idea.
It's much better to quickly finish your business in the city and then have the rest of the day only for yourself.

Also, you don't think you will find anything here.
But how will we have the rest of the day to ourself if kxa and her hacker are coming? We should do the exploring now and take care of the stuff in town once she gets here.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue May 23, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

I also meant to say in my post above:

ggh almost wrote:I'd also welcome someone making a bot to keep an eye of balthasar's sig. The "autogenerated" text has changed to "SFJOR KASKI" and "YYYB" and has possibly been some other things as well. I believe at least one of those changes did not coincide with a balthapost, so the monitoring might need to take place with a greater frequency than post rate (if I learn to make a bot, it will probably be hourly). I know, mrob, you brought up some excellent concerns about infringing on OTTer privacy with such monitoring. Seems to me like the easiest thing to do is ask balthasar how he feels about his autogenerated text being recorded. balthasar?
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: TRICEROCUES ∩ CHRONOTRANSPONDERS ≠ BLITZANITY-COMAERS

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm UTC

Thanks for the Object Generator explanations. I did try uploading a JPG file, and I did indeed use the username kxa and password CFRTdsn'tapproV, but I got a syntax error: test1.jpg 1: syntax error. That was kind of fun. I guess maybe it has to be a text file? Not enough to be able to figure anything else out, so I gave up (again).

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm sure no one is withholding information. I know that GnomeAnne and ggh in particlular have been puthing forth theories and queries trying to solve balthapuzzler's puzzles. The problem is that we just don't have as many OTTers hanging around to tackle the puzzles. In the old dips, you had a multitude of OTTers trying to get the the bottom of things.

Actually, it was @ggh that I had in mind when I wrote that. Why did xe have to decrypt @taixzo's script system all by xerself? It would have been so much more generous to share the details with us while they were being worked out. Apparently, at least if we're to believe this, @ucim figured out that @ggh was figuring it out and told us more than @ggh was ready to tell us, but also in a cryptic way.

ggh wrote:… my gridded version of Find-the-OTTers

That's another one. @ucim found a lot of small images that resemble avatars and things, and quasi-bragged about it by posting the little images themselves but out of context (that is to say, without telling us where the little avatars and things are located in the original big image). @ggh responded, "What a great way to show these!" which I took to mean something to the effect of "how clever, showing us what you found without revealing where you found it!".
  That's okay I guess, because like I said, the collaborative culture seems to have gone away. Yips ago when that "Where's Waldo"-based puzzle was new I think someone did post a spoilered image showing where some of the hidden things are… I can't remember. I don't know what text to search for. Linking to these things from the Wiki would help.

mrob27 Image (and Image )

(Edit: I think I might have used the word "humblebrag" incorrectly. Also, Image.)

ETA2: OTOH, I do kind of like the fact that the low 8 bits of 3099 (or, the remainder when dividing by 256) are 27. (3099 is the number of frames in Time, if you count the meteor frames but don't count the apocryphal frames.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”