The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 am UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
So... town is kind of tearing themselves apart. I am amused. We may not have to do any work tomorrow to generate our mislynch.

I suspect our NK target will end up being SirG. Sabrar is a possibility to implicate Gopher though, but it would require somebody ready to push the lynch.

I am going to have to do a end-of-day YOLO post, I think, to get the information about the survivor to my team. I wish I more covert option available to protect kalira's role. But then, I may not be believed anyway.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
I don't see the third scum. :(
Either Madge turned her meta completely around or plytho is playing one hell of a game. Or it could be dimochka but he seems extremely disconnected from everybody else.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Based on Sabrar's post above, at least I won't be the only one surprised! :P

Even if the setup was unbalanced, the supernaturals deserve this win. They've played very well. Give us two more townies and they'd still be mopping the floor here.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

kalira

Postby kalira » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:15 pm UTC

Shakespeare III:

Spoiler:
Oh I really hope transparent is some coded message to supernaturals that can be easily linked to me... For the record, I was never aligned with the Guild team -- I'm still not sure whether there actually was some kind of traitor as YOLO indicated, or if that was just messing with the townies on his part.

I guess I'm going to not use my powers tonight. Madge is a tracker (if she's town), and SirG has the one-shot tracker I sent him. If either see me visiting someone who manages to get themselves killed by supernatural team, I could be screwed.

So now I should go see what potential vote restrictions still appear to exist since I'm not sure who my teammates are going to be. I know plytho has said he can't change his vote after he places it. I believe dim has to have a vote on him at all times before 24 hours remaining? Madge I think implied that she has something squidgy with her vote, but I don't think she ever indicated what it is. Sabrar? GoP? SirG? I don't think any of them have indicated vote restrictions/powers. Of course, if it's something that only affects them in a positive way, we probably wouldn't hear about it.

When LG flips scum, it will probably "clear" me as town to several people. Of course, with no way of telling who the other supernaturals are, I'll probably have to sit around for another almost full Day before being able to make anything happen (esp if dim is one of the supernaturals). I think I'm going to ask mpolo a theoretical on dim's vote "power."
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm UTC

Shakespeare III

Spoiler:
SDK wrote:Based on Sabrar's post above, at least I won't be the only one surprised! :P

Even if the setup was unbalanced, the supernaturals deserve this win. They've played very well. Give us two more townies and they'd still be mopping the floor here.

That's for sure. I'm amazed at the extreme levels of town-town infighting this late in the game… It is still theoretically possible for town to pull this off, but it's not looking very likely.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:31 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Damn it. mpolo's wording seems to suggest that there are no more 'groups' out there. In that case we might have started with 3+2+Traitor? But then why would MYLO be announced? Unless Traitor inherits the kill, tried to go for SirGabriel who was protected by plytho. But then it's not really MYLO as scum could cross-shoot. Yeah, best to just forget the wine and concentrate on the rest. Should have ample time to re-read next week, doubt scum would kill me as that would implicate Gopher of Pern. Unless he feels very vengeful? :D

Please scum hurry up with your chat. I don't want to wait another 3 days twiddling my thumbs.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

Shakespeare:

Spoiler:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Shakespeare III

SCUMMY post from kalira. Wow. Is she signaling to the team? What are they waiting for? Have LG kamikaze it imo.

We couldn't push a no-lynch. My vote is too easy to manipulate. I'd have to spend the end of the day camping my computer to make sure that nobody tried to force me to unvote. I need to be killed before scum can make a move.

[edit]kalira apparently missed that in the post immediately following the one where she dropped her breadcrumb, I started saying "plytho" "plytho" "plytho". Oh well. It's probably better that she doesn't know who is on the team.

OTOH, if the supernaturals don't figure out who it is (or don't believe me), I will be disappointed.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:41 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:kalira apparently missed that in the post immediately following the one where she dropped her breadcrumb, I started saying "plytho" "plytho" "plytho". Oh well. It's probably better that she doesn't know who is on the team.

Even knowing what was going on from the outside I still missed that attempted signalling. I think you did the best you could under the circumstances.

mpolo wrote:
SDK wrote:Based on Sabrar's post above, at least I won't be the only one surprised! :P

That's for sure. I'm amazed at the extreme levels of town-town infighting this late in the game… It is still theoretically possible for town to pull this off, but it's not looking very likely.
I think with two more townies town would have a decent chance of winning. I agree one more townie would probably not do it. It's true, plytho and Dim have played well, although I won't be giving Dim so much slack for infrequent posting in the future. I think in Dark Tower I gave SDK too much slack and now Dim, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Although I did go after Zyth for basically the same thing and that turned out totally wrong. :?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

@Sabrar may read now.
Shakespear III
Spoiler:
Sabrar wrote:I thought that this was a private matter between the mod and myself but from mpolo's reply it seems that it's already public. Here is the pm I wrote to mpolo about breaking rule 6:
I would like to respectfully contest that ruling, or at least clarify my pov.
I always follow the rules extremely strictly and ask for clarification if anything is unclear or out of line (please note previous pm-s).
I'm fully aware of rule 6 and that's why I intentionally avoided using the word 'threat' which appears in my pm and used 'enemy' instead. I even substituted 'normal' instead of 'standard'.
I didn't ask GoP to confirm a specific word or phrase, I was looking for confirmation regarding the content of his pm which can be paraphrased according to the rule. It should not be my fault if he interpreted it differently and broke the rule of his own accord.

I don't feel like I broke any rules, even with the continued discussion I didn't quote or refer to the wording of my pm. I'm always paraphrasing heavily when it comes to this. I'm against outside circumstances (like wording in pm) deciding the outcome of any game (1 previous example here),

For the record, I'm the one who raised the issue to mpolo (although he may have interceded anyway.) I can totally understand that you were asking "does your role PM say supernatural's are enemies" but you were trying to be more discreet about your purpose. Unfortunately, the way you phrased things ended up being basically an invitation to break the rules. "Is this how yours is worded?". Yes, GoP should have been more vigilant, and you didn't technically break the rules. Maybe, saying you "broke" the rules is too strongly worded, but I think what you did needed a warning. I guess what I'm saying is one of the unspoken rules is that you should not encourage others to break the rules and you accidentally did that.

P.S. I'm traveling for the weekend so unfortunately I won't be able to entertain a back and forth during the night phase to entertain you. I'll save the rest of this discussion for after game or future night phases so as to not distract you.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm UTC

Shakespeare III (@BoomFrog)
Spoiler:
I understand where you're coming from. Obviously this is a thin line and I thought this would be still okay. I might have been wrong, though I do not think it was such a clear-cut invitation for GoP to break the rules.

PS: discussions are never a distraction and are always welcome. Feel free to chat me up anytime.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
BoomFrog wrote:
mpolo wrote:

I think with two more townies town would have a decent chance of winning. I agree one more townie would probably not do it. It's true, plytho and Dim have played well, although I won't be giving Dim so much slack for infrequent posting in the future. I think in Dark Tower I gave SDK too much slack and now Dim, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Although I did go after Zyth for basically the same thing and that turned out totally wrong. :?

There is still possible excitement — plytho thinks that kalira would be the best kill target, though dimochka disagrees…

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Them killing kalira would surely be the best case scenario, but doesn't actually matter much at this point. We still need to lynch correctly 2x running. All kalira's death allows is the possibility of a nolynch. Ultimately, Sabrar and Gopher need to stop fighting so we even have a chance.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:27 am UTC

Shakespeare

Spoiler:
Who am I targeting?

Sabrar: he wants me to target him, but he's claiming a uesless cop role, but it's a mirror image of GoP who seems scummy??

Plytho: Laserguy's flip might damn him or clear him, so we get info already. Excluded.

Dimochka: Good claim, but has been kind of suspicious and hard to read - no info on him.

Kalira: Has no "equal and opposite" counterpart. Similarly scared of him as Dim.

LaserGuy - we've got some weird 1-shot roles so sure. Lack of restrictions is weird though.

GoP - very suspicious extra claim, scummy IMO, but I already tracked him.

I want to go for dim or kalira.

Kalira will be able to confirm my tracker AND has no equal and opposite role, so I think I'll track Kalira.

Sorry Sabrar. I don't care about clearing my name. If you hadn't told me to track you, I might have done so to find out what you were up to.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:44 am UTC

Shakespeare III:
Spoiler:
If Town don't win this with 4 scum lynched in a row, I'll be upset. Still not read any spoilers, so I have even less info than the in-game players.

LaserGuy was probably lying. A survivor would have claimed with the mass claim, and anyway a traitor who becomes survivor seems way too easy to win, in my opinion without thinking too much. I doubt Gopher's claim a little, but can't be sure. No idea who the last scum is.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Well I hate night cycles so I'll do my best to entertain the spectators!

Please scum hurry up with your chat. I don't want to wait another 3 days twiddling my thumbs.
Sorry Sabrar but I’m kinda laughing over this. :)

Re this post by kalira:
Just got back from theatre and too tired to read atm, but I will make sure I have a vote down before end of Day. Y'all make this more difficult than trying to read The Sound and the Fury. In Greek.
HA! I knew this was all about me me me, as you're pointing out that I can be quite a Quentin Compson at times. :P

SDK wrote:Even if the setup was unbalanced, the supernaturals deserve this win. They've played very well. Give us two more townies and they'd still be mopping the floor here.
Better than town, who has lynched correctly every day? :shock: But yeah, I agree with you. Even with two more townies I don’t think dimochka would be lynched. Isn’t he a ninja? He might even get cleared by Madge or SirGabriel.

Every time I play with dimochka I think of this:
mpolo wrote:Vote: dimochka

As he is generally dangerous as scum.

SDK wrote:Them killing kalira would surely be the best case scenario, but doesn't actually matter much at this point. We still need to lynch correctly 2x running. All kalira's death allows is the possibility of a nolynch. Ultimately, Sabrar and Gopher need to stop fighting so we even have a chance.
I think if Gopher is alive tomorrow he will be lynched. He will get a cop result on plytho or dimochka, which will make Sabrar even more certain Gopher is scum.

Maybe more later, there was so much D4 content I forgot what I was thinking.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Nice, we got the RB. This should theoretically mean that kalira's and Madge's ability succeeded so there should be some decent discussion today.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:22 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
I wonder if kalira is going to now end up in some trouble by withholding her ability. I guess she could conceivably claim that the only items she has left are stuff for Guild so she just didn't bother. Or if Madge claims first, kalira can claim she gave to SirG.

I think that scum has made the right choice as far as kills today. We'll see how things shake out between Sabrar/Gopher. I'm assuming that scum isn't going to mass claim except as a last resort (no point before end of Day anyway), since a mislynch is less susceptible to vote shenanigans than a no-lynch.

As far as powers go, I think pretty much everyone is effectively vanilla now except Gopher and possibly Madge (she can't see dimochka but can see plytho take the kill if dimochka dies).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
If I'm right about the setup and mpolo only modified the Town roles then game is locked because GoP can't have any power that targeted Madge so she must be the third scum. But that would mean they claimed something that could easily be disproven and I don't understand why they would do that... Should know more tomorrow (unless my retraction of the gift-claim makes them think kalira targeted me N4 and they kill me).

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm UTC

Shakespeare III

Spoiler:
So, there is still potential for town to get out of this — if Sabrar and Gopher figure out they're on the same side. Kalira is playing both sides now — she gave a protection against ghost attacks to Madge, so that we could conceivably see a failed kill. And Gopher knows that dimochka is scum. Of course plytho has a one-shot godfather, so it could turn out basically any way it wants to…

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:54 pm UTC

Shakespeare III

Spoiler:
If scum throw this, that will be a shame. Supernaturals had this locked D3.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Sabrar, I am sending you my brain waves from beyond the grave. Gopher is town! Gopher is town!

kalira gave protection to Madge? Seems an odd choice if she's actually trying to help town with that move...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
It's possible that kalira is guessing Madge is scum. Withholding entirely leaves her vulnerable if she needs to claim.

Will be curious to see how this unfolds. kalira may end up being the deciding vote: Sabrar, plytho and dimochka vs. Madge and Gopher.

@mpolo: you said Sabrar's ability will mean that he will win the draw if he's tied with a scum. What happens if he's tied with a townie? Could he in principle use this to confirm someone? It's dangerous since he basically has to put himself at L-1, though... as it is, dimochka can just switch sides and hammer Sabrar if he attempts this.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
It will be so interesting to read all these spoilers. :D

Edit: both dimochka and GoP seem to be a liability in LYLO. Did mpolo really make scum identifiable by the voting mechanics?
Edit2: there are so many holes in Madge's explanations, I would be really surprised if she were Town after all that.
Edit3: just looking at the action itself it could be kalira. N1 give item to bessie, N2 kill her. N3 give item to SirGabriel, N4 kill him. However she couldn't have known N1 that bessie was Mason so this serves no purpose because there is no way to verify the claim. Plus she bussed LaserGuy pretty hard.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Losing because Town played suboptimally when the line was clear would suck.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:01 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Town is going to lose, but that's not the reason why. :P

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:48 am UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:@mpolo: you said Sabrar's ability will mean that he will win the draw if he's tied with a scum. What happens if he's tied with a townie? Could he in principle use this to confirm someone? It's dangerous since he basically has to put himself at L-1, though... as it is, dimochka can just switch sides and hammer Sabrar if he attempts this.

Essentially, if day ends with a tie, Sabrar's total is "reduced" so that the other guy is lynched without any extensions or the like.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 am UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
Well played Sabrar. I don't think I'm going to beat you; your reputation is too good for that. But I think you are going to find that reputation take a dive after this.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:13 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Am i getting completely played by a dimochka-plytho scum-team? Did kalira really not think through her target and what that would mean? Why does the Tracker have to be Madge who goes after her own mind and does not listen to logic?
We should have had this game in the bag but starting in essentially MYLO means there is no possibility for a lynch just to get info and we cannot trust any result. What I mean is normally if A has a scum-result on B we can comfortably lynch B and then lynch A if it happens to be wrong. This game we don't have this luxury.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
"Well played Sabrar. I don't think I'm going to beat you; your reputation is too good for that. But I think you are going to find that reputation take a dive after this."
Nope.

"Am i getting completely played by a dimochka-plytho scum-team?"
Yep.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
I apologise Sabrar, if I seem a bit harsh. Either you already know why, or you'll know when I flip.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

Shakespeare III

Spoiler:
SDK wrote:"Am i getting completely played by a dimochka-plytho scum-team?"
Yep.

That about sums it up.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 am UTC

Shakespeare III

Spoiler:
Last game, I wanted to lynch GoP and thought he was scummy as town.

This game, he was one of the last people I wanted to lynch, possibly dead last.

I don't know what to say about this town pressuring him all game, but I'm glad that I at least got it right this time.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 am UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
I've decided not to second-guess myself again and go with the most logical conclusion, i.e. GoP being scum. As to his buddy I have no frigging clue. Gun to my head it's dimochka.

Edit: what I don't understand about kalira is why she didn't give a bulletproof vest to SirGabriel? It's such a basic power, surely she must have it.
Or could it be that her gifts only work against normal scum?

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:17 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Last game, I wanted to lynch GoP and thought he was scummy as town.

This game, he was one of the last people I wanted to lynch, possibly dead last.

I don't know what to say about this town pressuring him all game, but I'm glad that I at least got it right this time.

Yeah, he's town. The towniest. If Sabrar truly thinks the scum team is Gopher/dimochka, they should lynch dimochka. If he has absolutely no clue who the buddy is, that's probably because Gopher doesn't have one. plytho's looking at the right things with regards to Gopher's interactions. Too bad he's scum.

At least Sabrar is second guessing himself. Maybe he'll turn this around. Not much hope, but it's something!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Why do the spectators talk so much about the game? It drives me crazy. :roll:

:D

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Because we are so amped us to see what you will do!!!!!!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:34 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
I was afraid when mpolo told us where found got the setup that it would be very tough for us to false claim once the setup was known. (I warned in scum chat that Sabrar would likely find the setup mpolo used.) Luckily Gopher is looking so winey and Sabrar is so focused on Gopher and vice versa that neither of them is looking for the dimochka and plytho team. We're the ones that don't fit the setup. I hope Madge and kalira don't pick up on it. I'm surprised Gopher isn't pointing it out. He's looking for 2 scum and there's 2 players that don't fit his setup.

Gopher will probably (hopefully) get lynched tonight. We'll probably kill Sabrar tonight because he probably has some vote manipulation ability left (he hinted at that D1). Then we'll have dimochka as confirmed scum (because of Gopher's flip), kalira as maybe independent(?), Madge as the last townie and me. Unless kalira's gifts get us in trouble (either tonight or tomorrow) or she has some vote manipulation left we can force no lynch tomorrow and win this game. Even if dimochka does somehow get lynched tomorrow I might still be able to lynch kalira or Madge.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
If plytho is scum he deserves to win.
If Madge is scum I deserve to lose.
If Gopher of Pern is Town we're both in for a huge surprise.

Most intense game I've ever played in. Based upon a quick search the last time a game had a thousand replies on this forum was back in 2010, so huge props to mpolo for putting this one together.

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

Shakespeare III:
Spoiler:
At least one of [dim, GoP] is scum. I'm leaning towards only one. Question is, would scum!GoP be ballsy enough to try to get town!dim lynched today by false claiming a supernatural reveal on him? If successful, he would be sure to be killed tomorrow morning, so unless he's absolutely sure there is a survivor willing to vote w scum. It would be a big risk for him.

I really have to hope that town (esp town!sabrar) doesn't go back to mpolo's description abt modifying a 15 man setup for 16 and realize that the 16th is likely an indy.

Now the question is, do I tell scum not to target Madge for the NK before day ends? She had the auto-self-doctor against supernatural kills tonight. If we go NL, obv yes I tell scum. NL + successful town kill overnight = 2 townies + 2 scum + me, reveal self, win with scum.

If we end up lynching someone, I'm not sure. If we lynch scum and scum tries to kill Madge overnight, tomorrow starts at 3 town, 1 scum, me. Town has a chance to win. If we lynch scum and I reveal myself as indy before day end, day starts at 2 town, 1 scum, me. I am definitely a target of town bc have shown willingness to work w scum. But they have to kill scum to win still. Parity = possibly not lynched?

If we lynch town and scum try to kill Madge, we start tomorrow same place we are now but Madge reveals I basically saved her. Not town target, possibly scum target. If she tracks me and I didn't send anything, which I can't (other than messages), possibly suspect as indy. If we lynch town and scum lynch outside of Madge, gg,won with scum.

It seems like revealing myself and telling them not to target Madge might actually be the best move even if we lynch scum today?
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:01 pm UTC

Shakespeare III
Spoiler:
Get 'im, Sabrar! You can do it!

(dimochka's post was pretty scummy in parts - glad Sabrar is picking up on it)

Return to “Mafia”