Bin Chicken Newbie Mafia - Game over! - Wing Condition

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: Bin Chicken Newbie Mafia - Day 1 - The Council of the Birds

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Unvote heury

I see what mpolo means, but "Just don't do it" is needlessly aggressive. And hearing people's arguments means more discussion, which we want if we're going to read anyone.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:22 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:Yes, anything to give me a greater chance of winning since I' m still on the learning curve.
This answer pings me on multiple levels.
How so?
Sabrar wrote:I'd like to encourage more players to think about the possible setups, there are relatively few scenarios and it's a good starting point to consider how roles interact with each other and what fake-claims scum might have available.
What exactly are you trying to achieve from this? The first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was that this was scum trying to get town to discuss the setup and hopefully result in power town slipping who they are.

On mpolo: I have no issues with his comments so far. I don't necessarily agree just yet that he is trying to discourage content, but will review this later in the day to see what, if anything, stands out to me.

Unvote LaserGuy

Some questions for discussion:
1) If scum had a Kill ability that they had to use, right now, who do you think they would kill, and why?
2) If you could choose one of the possible setups, which would it be, and why?
3) If you had to choose TWO people who you thought were scum right now, who would it be, and why?

I'll post my own answers later in the week.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:How so?
On the surface level it screams "Look at me, I'm newbie Town!". On a somewhat related level I don't get the 'attitude' of "I'm a newbie player in this game, please give me an easy win." It's just not something I would expect from anyone.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:What exactly are you trying to achieve from this?
Getting the players to understand the game on a deeper level, pointing out pitfalls scum could use on future days.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:The first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was that this was scum trying to get town to discuss the setup and hopefully result in power town slipping who they are.
This is rich coming from someone who then asks an extremely similar question of his own. Tell me, what was your purpose with your second question and why couldn't it serve the same purpose that you attribute to me?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:1) If scum had a Kill ability that they had to use, right now, who do you think they would kill, and why?

Why do you think that a townie would want to answer this? If I had a read on someone that would make them a good target for scum to kill, why would I tell them about it?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 pm UTC

UNVOTE Jimbob

As for my edit earlier, it was a bbc code edit. I apologize for the error in my ways. I should stick to tweeter.

1) If scum had a Kill ability that they had to use, right now, who do you think they would kill, and why?
3) If you had to choose TWO people who you thought were scum right now, who would it be, and why?

1. Probably Jimbob.
2. Definitely column C. 2 PRs with no roleblocker? Kaching!
3. Jimbob and Sabrar. Sabrar just seems....different somehow. Can't put my finger on it. It is hard to have good reads d1.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

@heuristically_alone: you think scum would kill jimbob but you think jimbob is scum? How is that?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

I don't want to give a real answer for one. Town isn't ready for that information yet.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:25 am UTC

Votals:

Mpolo- (2) - Dethstalker, LaserGuy

Day 1 ends in 3 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:12 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I don't want to give a real answer for one. Town isn't ready for that information yet.
Then why answer at all? Also I would understand if you withheld your opinion from scum (as noted by LaserGuy) but why Town?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:22 am UTC

mpolo wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:His posting feels like it's trying to discourage people from generating content. Eg. here, he discourages people from even talking about No Lynch. While I know this argument has been discussed ad nauseum in other games, in a newbie game, I think it's perfectly reasonable to go over this again if people are so inclined, especially given the dearth of D1 content. He expresses similar sentiments about random voting in this post.

I've been in too many newbie games where the first person to suggest no lynch was immediately lynched here. It is almost impossible to turn that wagon around once it starts. If somebody wants to go through that, be my guest. I just thought I would save newbies from the extremely hardened meta against NL on this forum. (The argument is that mathematically, town has better chances even with a random lynch on D1. If you look hard enough, you'll find it discussed ad naseum here in the forum.)

If most of the players in the game are new, if not to Mafia, then at least to these forums, why would the entrenched forum meta make a difference in this particular game?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:59 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:The first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was that this was scum trying to get town to discuss the setup and hopefully result in power town slipping who they are.
This is rich coming from someone who then asks an extremely similar question of his own. Tell me, what was your purpose with your second question and why couldn't it serve the same purpose that you attribute to me?
A fair comment and question. I deliberately tried to angle the second question in a different way to the way I read yours. In particular, mine was aimed at getting people to consider the relative strengths of the different power town and scum roles but in a way that I hoped allowed power town to easily take a step back and respond with no fear of accidentally revealing themselves. I felt that the same wouldn't be as easy for responders to your request for comment. your opinion may vary.

The purpose for all my questions was to try to get some discussion going, as it felt too quiet. For the most part, I'm not really interested in the direct responses, but rather how people react to me asking them.

Arriving at work, so will respond to everything else later.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:2) If you could choose one of the possible setups, which would it be, and why?

I think I'd pick 2, a Cop seems to be more useful than a Tracker, because the latter would usually return null and even in the other cases, they might need to watch the same person for a longer period to discern their role. On the other hand, the Cop can't easily share his information with the townies for fear of getting killed or roleblocked, while the Tracker only has to worry about being killed (which the Doctor might prevent in either case if a fairly obvious reveal has been made).
LaserGuy wrote:His posting feels like it's trying to discourage people from generating content. Eg. here, he discourages people from even talking about No Lynch. While I know this argument has been discussed ad nauseum in other games, in a newbie game, I think it's perfectly reasonable to go over this again if people are so inclined, especially given the dearth of D1 content. He expresses similar sentiments about random voting in this post.

He argued both against no lynching and random voting, which strikes me as slightly odd Any vote at this point is based mostly on hunches and gut feeling, I'd think that would end up being almost completely random in a newbie game.
—◯-◯

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 am UTC

@jimbob: ok, I understand where you're coming from but honestly can't see the difference why my version would not allow a townie-PR to take a step back and analyze the scenarios from an outside pov and why yours would.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:1) If scum had a Kill ability that they had to use, right now, who do you think they would kill, and why?
Well, you've certainly taken yourself out of the possible answers...

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:2) If you could choose one of the possible setups, which would it be, and why?
Ugh, mafiascum is blocked at my work. I think my opinion on which setup is most town-favouring hasn't changed since I answered Sabrar's question anyway.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:3) If you had to choose TWO people who you thought were scum right now, who would it be, and why?
You or mpolo. You for your suspicious first question as noted by other players, and mpolo for discouraging discussion.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

I think I'd pick 2, a Cop seems to be more useful than a Tracker, because the latter would usually return null and even in the other cases, they might need to watch the same person for a longer period to discern their role. On the other hand, the Cop can't easily share his information with the townies for fear of getting killed or roleblocked, while the Tracker only has to worry about being killed (which the Doctor might prevent in either case if a fairly obvious reveal has been made).

If you look at the possible setups, you'll see that the Tracker results are pretty strong. Tracker only appears in setups 3 and C, which have no mafia power roles. So if the Tracker gets a result on anyone, it's either the Doctor or obviously the mafia (because their result will be concurrent with the kill). Not as good as Cop, for certain, but still pretty powerful. After one mafia is dead, the Cop and Tracker are essentially equivalent.

What do you think of heuristically_alone?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

@DethStalker: You were reading the thread a few minutes ago. Can you answer the question posed to you here? If this vote is serious, can you elaborate on what in mpolo's content looks suspicious to you? If not, who else do you think looks suspicious?

@New players/Lurkers: If you are town, the most important thing that you can do is post. Present opinions, ask questions. Lurking is anti-town behaviour and is ultimately hurting your team (as well as making the game less fun for everybody).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm UTC

Jbby wrote:I usually am pretty slow to start on D1's because I am more of a connection player but I am going to try and see if anything sticks out to me early.

While there are multiple players on this forum who share your aversion to D1 (shoutout to our lovely mod :D ), as an experienced player you nevertheless must realize that we also would like to analyze the possible connections so you should also provide content of your own.

Otherwise I second what LaserGuy just said.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

Some questions for discussion:
Sabrar or jimbob, because they generally push the town.

I felt like C was the "best", though I don't particularly like playing trackers.
Heuristically alone (slip that jimbob is simultaneously scum/town; says he was refusing a truthful answer?)
Then I'm pretty unsure:
LaserGuy has a false attack on me, but I don't see that as necessarily scummy.
DethStalker is lurking hard
Has somitomi posted anything?
Jbby is lurking

Jimbob and Sabrar seem fairly solid townies at the moment, but it's early. Flicky had an unnecessary vote for editing (after mod warning), but otherwise OK.

@LaserGuy: Obviously not everyone is a newbie here. If I really wanted to, I'm sure I could find the disastrous newbie games where somebody suggested No-Lynch on D1 because that's what they do in in-person Mafia and proceeded to get unnecessarily lynched.
Image <-- Evil experiment

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Flicky had an unnecessary vote for editing (after mod warning), but otherwise OK.
We were still in the joke vote phase as far as I could tell. I just picked a person with no votes on them and made up a reason.

mpolo wrote:DethStalker is lurking hard
Unfortunately, based on their first game, this seems to be normal... Then again, they were scum then.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Has somitomi posted anything?

Not enough apparently...
—◯-◯

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:17 am UTC

Votals:

Mpolo- (2) - Dethstalker, LaserGuy

Day 1 ends in just under 2.5 days
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 am UTC

Request mod-prod on DethStalker.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:26 am UTC

I actually modprodded him a few hours ago! Do I get a gold star?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:29 am UTC

Sure. :P

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 am UTC

Re-read so far, LaserGuy seems to be townie, heuristically_alone scummy, ambivalent about jimbob. Also we have too many lurkers and probably can't afford even 1 policy-lynch on them which is a shame.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 am UTC

Unvote mpolo

heuristically_alone wrote:3. Jimbob and Sabrar. Sabrar just seems....different somehow. Can't put my finger on it. It is hard to have good reads d1.

Jimbob I can understand why you would find scummy. Can you try to explain your read on Sabrar a bit more? Which posts in particular are pinging you?

Sabrar wrote: Also we have too many lurkers and probably can't afford even 1 policy-lynch on them which is a shame.

We have two mislynches before LYLO, so we could probably chance one lurker lynch. It's not ideal, but with half of the players barely participating, we probably aren't going to have a lot of choice in the matter at some point.

somitomi wrote:Not enough apparently...

This would have been a good opportunity for you to post more content. You could start by answering my question to you here, or just pick any player at random and tell us what you think about them.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
What is it you don't like about this first question?

Somitomi, you answered my second question, but neither of the other two. How come?

LaserGuy, you said to heuristically_alone that you could understand why he finds me scummy. What is it you find scummy about me? Is it just my first question, or is there anything else?

DethStalker, Jbby, in addition to other questions others have asked, what do you think about my questions? Do you think they're harmless? If so, please answer them, and if not, please explain why.
Sabrar wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:I don't want to give a real answer for one. Town isn't ready for that information yet.
Then why answer at all? Also I would understand if you withheld your opinion from scum (as noted by LaserGuy) but why Town?
I'd like to hear the answer to this too.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:33 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:This would have been a good opportunity for you to post more content. You could start by answering my question to you here, or just pick any player at random and tell us what you think about them.

True, but it was kind of late. I will now try to catch up on that.
Heuristically_alone is suspicious to me a bit, mostly because of the inconsistent answers to Jimbob's questions and his refusal to explain them. I'd gues Sabrar to is pro-town due to his efforts to keep the discussion going and prod newbies like myself not to sit in silence, the same would go for you and maybe Jimbobmacdoodle, although his questions made others suspicious of him. Mpolo is suspicious too although I can't put my finger on the reason. I think Flicky is pro-town, Jbby and DethStalker are hard to tell, because they're lurking.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Somitomi, you answered my second question, but neither of the other two. How come?

I skipped the first one mostly based on what Laserguy said:
LaserGuy wrote:If I had a read on someone that would make them a good target for scum to kill, why would I tell them about it?

I didn't really have a clear opinion on the third question, but having re-read the thread for the umpteenth time, I'm inclined to say Mpolo & Heury at this point. But that's mostly just a hunch.
—◯-◯

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:
What is it you don't like about this first question?
As others have said, it's a question where the answer is more useful to scum than town. And even for that it's not even necessary if people start posting reads lists, since scum should generally kill whoever is being seen as most townie. So as far as I can tell, the question gives no-one any information of value.

Speaking of reads lists, I will make the time to post proper reads of everyone this evening. Shout at me if I don't.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:20 pm UTC

Request mod-prod on Jbby.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:LaserGuy, you said to heuristically_alone that you could understand why he finds me scummy. What is it you find scummy about me? Is it just my first question, or is there anything else?

I don't care much for anything you've said in this post.

You start off with a comment to Sabrar about his earlier suggestions to discuss the setup feel like trying to get power town to slip some information. I don't really see it this way at all, but it's sort of plausible. But then you go and ask your questions, the first of which a type of question that is exactly the same sort of thing that you just accused Sabrar of doing--it's likely to be more helpful to scum than town, and there's definitely a risk of some townie power role giving away more than they intended to. See also my earlier concerns about this that you've never responded to.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:See also my earlier concerns about this that you've never responded to.
I was waiting for your response that you just posted, and also for responses from Jbby and DethStalker to my earlier questions. I'll explain why once they've answered, or Thursday, if they haven't by then.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

Time is running out pretty quickly -- I count 1 day, 17 hours at the moment. I almost want to place a vote on heuristically_alone. Actually, I think I will do that:

Vote: heuristically_alone

Nothing finalized there, but it's my best lead at the moment.
Image <-- Evil experiment

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

OK I went back and forth in my mind on this a bit, but this should be good enough for now. I didn't expect to get clear reads at this point anyway.

Reads:

LaserGuy - First non-joke content is to vote mpolo for his discouragement of discussion. Also suspicious of jimbob's questions. Pushes at people to get them to respond/contribute. Fairly townie.

flicky1991 - What a handsome fellow.

heuristically_alone - Joins in with discussion of which setups are good or bad. Answers jimbob's questions but answers are contradictory (jimbob is both townie and scum) and refuses to give an explanation. Scummy.

DethStalker - Practically zero content. Has definitely been around but not posted. Scummy end of neutral.

somitomi - Answers jimbob's questions but shares reservations about the first one as suggested by other players. Suspects mpolo and heury. Neutral read.

Jbby - Zero content. Has probably not been around since initial post. No read.

mpolo - First to start setup discussion, but gets it wrong (states three possible setups instead of six), and immediately insists on not discussing no-lynch. Joins in with subsequent discussions. Answers jimbob's questions, suspects heury. Considers jimbob and Sabrar fairly solid townies. Pinging me less on this readthrough than before. Neutral.

Sabrar - Starts the discussion about which setups are good or bad, and makes good points. First to declare suspicion of heury. Argues with jimbob a bit. Continues to ask questions and encourage contribution. Fairly townie.

jimbobmacdoodle - Advice about claiming. Calls Sabrar's questioning scummy but responds with more suspect questions of his own, and hasn't really explained that first question. Scummy end of neutral.

----

TOWNIE
flicky1991
Sabrar
LaserGuy
somitomi
mpolo
Jbby
jimbobmacdoodle
DethStalker
heuristically_alone
SCUMMY

Vote: heuristically_alone

Ninja'd by mpolo but that doesn't really change anything (we knew he suspected heury anyway).
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
----

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:54 pm UTC

Sorry if it wasn't clear. My answer to the first question was a joke answer. Since I didn't care to answer it. Hence yhe contradiction. As for Sabrar, in general, he seems more....careful.... for lack of a better word. However based on the interactions between and jimbob, I doubt both of them are mafia. I'm phone posting and will have a read lists ready later on my next post.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 pm UTC

Some reads from me:

flicky1991: Definitely one of the more active players, which I appreciate, and seems to be genuinely trying to answer questions and engage the thread. This reads list looks good and is very similar to my own thinking on a lot of players. Looks townie for now.

heuristically_alone: Was busy early in the game, has gone quiet. The thing about marking jimbob as both town and scum is weird (though I did think it was probably a joke when I first read it), but I really don't like this post where he claims he doesn't want Town to know the reason behind that. The few reads that he's posted look off to me as well. Scummy.

DethStalker: I've seen him in the thread at least once yesterday, so I know he's around but choosing not to respond. Active lurking. Scummy.

somitomi: Quiet so far, but nothing really jumps out at me. These reads look fine to me. Leaning town.

Jbby: No content. I see from the signup thread that he's an experienced player from another site, so he really ought to know better than to lurk like this. Scum lean.

Mpolo: His early content rubbed me the wrong way. I think he's done a reasonable job of explaining some of that: While I don't agree that discussing something like "no lynch" should be off the table from the outset, I understand why he felt it was important to put that out there. Not too much else that really stands out. Leaving him neutral for now.

Sabrar: Looks very townie to me, though Sabrar is a good enough player that I don't think I'd really be able to tell at this point.

Jimbob: Not much to add that I haven't said here so far. jimbob did engage in similar borderline scummy lines of questioning in our last game, where he was Town, so this isn't a very definitely tell for me one way or the other. Scum lean for now.

Town
LaserGuy
Sabrar
flicky
somitomi
mpolo
Jbby
jimbob
heuristically_alone
DethStalker
Scum

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

Dethstalker still has not opened his modprod PM.

I am going to send him another, but just in case he's not checking his PMs but is checking this thread: Dethstalker, if you do not make a constructive contribution by the end of Day 1, I will replace you.

Jbby has been modprodded

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 am UTC

Madge wrote:Dethstalker still has not opened his modprod PM.

I am going to send him another, but just in case he's not checking his PMs but is checking this thread: Dethstalker, if you do not make a constructive contribution by the end of Day 1, I will replace you.

Jbby has been modprodded

Crap. One sec. :P
Sorry for this. I blame mobile _-_

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:02 am UTC

Reasons why Mpolo is mafia:
No lynching is helping scum, not town.
Gut feeling.
Making town want to not post.
General Scumminess.

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 am UTC

mpolo wrote:* tweet tweet *
I am here for the council of the birds. Now, despite the coolness of the Egyptian god Thoth, I think we all agree that his progeny have gotten truly out of hand here.

OK, I'm not going to be able to keep up much flavor. As this game is fairly vanilla, we need to really make an effort to keep posting, even if we don't see much to post about.

As it usually comes up in newbie games here, a no-lynch is generally seen as a bad thing here, as the town gets no information out of it. There are some specific situations (particularly when there is an even number of players and endgame is approaching), but that is not now. So don't suggest it, please.

There are three possible setups:
Jailkeeper - 6 vanilla townies - 2 mafia goons
Cop - Doctor - 5 vanilla townies - 1 Mafia Roleblocker - 1 Mafia Goon
Backup - Tracker - 5 vanilla townies - 2 mafia goons

This means that if any power role is lynched or killed, we will immediately know the setup exactly.

And our "Universal Backup", if present, is actually a "Junior Deputy Tracker". Or "Seagull who could probably be convinced to fly as high as an eagle"…

Can't think of anything else for an opening post.

Bolded scummy comments.
No-lynching is worse then lynching.
A NL can be done where there is a MyLo to make it LyLo, not earlier on.

Return to “Mafia”