Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:One cultural difference I notice with the Smashboards players is their more shoot from the hip style.


We are pretty direct and aggressive, yes. I get the feeling you guys prefer to give read lists instead of vote. I don't have solid reads on the whole cast yet. I want people to put out a vote. Voting is our tool for finding scum, so I don't believe we should be neglecting it. Currently we have 11 people not voting right now. I want that to improve.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

It is common here for people to not start placing votes until we are closer to the deadline. I think the fear is mafia ganging up and quickhammering, which I don't think would be a problem in the early stages of this game.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

Thank you HA. If that is true, then that fear will only paralyze town and allow scum to hide in the shadows, laughing at us from a distance. Anyway, HA, since you are around. Can I see a few scum picks and town picks from you? I don't expect a full reads list, but interested in hearing your thoughts on some of the cast.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:If that is true, then that fear will only paralyze town and allow scum to hide in the shadows, laughing at us from a distance.


In which case we lynch the lurkers. :P
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Thank you HA. If that is true, then that fear will only paralyze town and allow scum to hide in the shadows, laughing at us from a distance. Anyway, HA, since you are around. Can I see a few scum picks and town picks from you? I don't expect a full reads list, but interested in hearing your thoughts on some of the cast.


I have 2 minor reads as of now. Bessie and Plytho. People that vocalize the same thoughts I have I tend to town read. I want to read Zen as scum, but really it is closer to neutral. PW is also dead spot neutral for now.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

Can you go more into what you agree with Bessie + Plytho? Since Zen and PW are neutral (or close to it), why do you choose to mention them?

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 pm UTC

Bessie had the same thoughts of Zen as me, and plytho the same thoughts of PW as me. Also thought I would specifically let known my current stance on PW to be clear that I am not town reading him, and Zen that I am definitely not town reading, and still closer to neutral with him than scum, to avoid confusion of someone misinterprets my earlier posts.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
bessie wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:Scum can't be misguided because they'd know you aren't scum. Pretty straight forward.
Why? We could have two scum teams.
Fair enough.
@DGamers: how often do you have 2 scum-teams? Is it reasonable for Zen to forget this?
I didn't "forget", it's just not convention from my experience. I wasn't aware that it was such a common thing here, but seeing that multiple players from this site have stated the likelihood of there being two teams, I see it as reasonable for h_a to think so. I actually suspected that there were probably more than one team, but not because it's a large game, rather because of my previous experience in an OS game. h_a's hard stance on there being to teams is actually why he initially caught my attention. Seemed a bit too insightful. Now that I know that it's a common thing here, I can disregard that line of suspicion. Honestly now it seems more weird to me those from this site that didn't consider two teams in their setup prediction (i.e moody).

To be clear though, I don't think that was h_a's mindset (that I could be misguided scum) when he made the misguided read post. I think it was just something he come up with after the fact as a defense. I still hold to that scum are malicious not misguided. I think it is fair to disagree with this though.

--

Regarding soft claiming town. I keep seeing this , but the concept doesn't make any sense to me. Why would any one not claim town :?: :?: It's clearly a culture difference, but it's standard in dgames to refer to yourself as town.

--

Regarding the setup and setup speculation. I have to disagree with Frozen. OS games are well thought out, but I wouldn't say they are definitely well balanced. They tend to be highly experimental and can be quite unstable. They are usually built upon the assumption that each player will be astute enough to utilize their role to its full potential, or at least utilize them in the way that OS intended. This however is highly idealistic and often not the case. OS games are highly experimental and trying to speculate about the setup is futile this early on. Unlike with standard games, many of the roles have multiple abilities. If certain roles aren't used as OS intended them to be, game balance can very much be tipped one way or the other. Also claims should be taken as completely neutral, as safe claims are usually provided. Some examples of roles used in the past:

Spiderman, Evading Townie: If killed by mafia, is instead removed from the game until the next night phase. Returns as symbiotic black suit spider man. Each night can search a player, if they are mafia, he will join their faction.

Scarecrow: Town Manipulative Mason:
-Can form a Masonry with another player with a fake role name of their choice. The player will receive the message "You have been put in a Masonry with (role name)"
-Can Day Janitor
-If tied with another player or faction at endgame, will win the tie

Gau- Town Cop: Can only use his ability if he did not vote the previous day.

Captain Kirk- Town Double Voter:
-One time, during the night phases chooses two players. Only those two players can be voted for the next day.
-Can double vote a player

Kefka - Mafia Vote Manipulator ***This is OS' signature role that has been in multiple games in different varieties. I've seen it has both indy and mafia.***
-Once a day, can force a player that voted for him to vote for someone else in their next post, which remains permanent throughout the day.
-Can choose a player at night and will be told of their role and abilities, and will be immune to their abilities the following day and night phase.
-One time, during the night can use the ability "Goner". The next day phase it will only take a single vote to lynch a player. The mod will announce this and that no votes will count until an hour from the start of the day.
-One time, that night anyone that attempts to kill him will be told their kill was successful, but he will not be killed.
-Has mod-confirmed set up knowledge.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:14 pm UTC

It's pretty standard for us to think of there being 1 scum team instead of 2 scum teams. Multi-ball setups do come up, but not often. Usually it's announced so you know you are signing up for multi-ball instead of having to guess you are being blindsided by two scum teams.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

:lol:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Regarding soft claiming town. I keep seeing this , but the concept doesn't make any sense to me. Why would any one not claim town :?: :?: It's clearly a culture difference, but it's standard in dgames to refer to yourself as town.


It's not the fact that you refer to yourself as town. You said that you normally can tell who are the scum by end of d1, then called out PW as scum. This is more than just referring to yourself as town. It's practically screaming, "look at me I am playing to my normal town meta" and that is the big difference.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:23 pm UTC

I think that the reason two-scum teams have been common of late is that we haven't had the player base recently to support big enough games for a bigger scum faction (needs at least 12 I think?). As for having two different scum teams, that would fall into the exotic stuff I said I would be looking out for earlier.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm UTC

Re: my vote on FrozenFlame (never explain the joke)
Spoiler:
- To my knowledge the only game in which at least 1 Dgamer outside of YOLOSWAG played on this forum is Dark Tower.
- That player is FrozenFlame (past Zyth is different from current Zyth).
- 5 xkcd-ers playing in that game also play here (bessie, BoomFrog, jimbob, mpolo, plytho).
- FrozenFlame survived until the end and being an experienced player followed the thread closely. Therefore he has some meta-knowledge on some of the players in this game.
- If the scum-team happens to consist of only Dgamers with FrozenFlame included then we can deprive scum of some valuable information by lynching him. No other combination has this possibility.
- Should this scenario occur then it's a bit easier for one of his scum-buddies to realize this, therefore scum-points would have been awarded to any Dgamer coming to the same conclusion.
Evil George Washington wrote:You mention the list is scummy but you don't really do anything about it.
Should I have given out scum-points? I did that in my mind and will use it later in my evaluation of Peaceful Whale.
Evil George Washington wrote:When you unvoted, was that still 3 hours in to the game?
It was 6 hours, half past 3 in the morning and I was barely awake. But here we are 24 hours into the game and I'm still not voting. Maybe on your site that means I'm scum but we play differently.
Evil George Washington wrote:If you don't vote, what do you do?
Ask questions, engage and prod people and generally make a nuisance of myself.
Evil George Washington wrote:What have you done that is hunting for scum?
Read my posts and figure it out for yourself. This way leads to a wine-fest.
Evil George Washington wrote:How is your unvote a follow-up to Zen's response to you? What did you glean from his answer?
I learned nothing from his answer to me but his other content showed that he is voting seriously. Therefore RVS is over and I removed my joke-vote. What's hard to understand in that?

plytho wrote:I came to the conclusion that it was a throwback because I remembered it from the last game, I hought it was a funny response then. So when I saw it again here I thought 'joke'. So I don't think he thought much about it either.
Same mindset leads to same joke. Not sure I can explain it more clearly.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:If that is true, then that fear will only paralyze town and allow scum to hide in the shadows, laughing at us from a distance.
That's been known to happen. Still, I like our voting system better where multiple wagons are able to form, allowing us to analyze voting patterns after some flips. With us requiring hammer to lynch it's very unlikely that 2 wagons coexist, therefore we can't really catch scum trying to save their buddy. Of course I have no experience with your style so I might be proven wrong here.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:50 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
plytho wrote:I came to the conclusion that it was a throwback because I remembered it from the last game, I hought it was a funny response then. So when I saw it again here I thought 'joke'. So I don't think he thought much about it either.
Same mindset leads to same joke. Not sure I can explain it more clearly.
I'm thinking it's more same person, same joke rather than same alignment, same joke.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

Honestly, I know not to post that joke anymore. It was a reference to last game. (Not becuase I'm scum). It's gotten everyone worked up, not that much, so I think it's fine to ignore.

To those who realized I said you'd regret killing me. Just realized that it could be seen as breadcruming a suicide bomber role. I'd like to clarify that I am not trying to breadcrumb. Last game I tried to with all my apple mentions... and I failed. I'll leave that to the veterans.

Scum don't read:

(I am a kinda power role, kinda)
(At least this doesn't give scum information, I told them not to read.


You can read again.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 pm UTC

Sabrar: I get it now. Since you asked Zen originally that if he was serious, you unvoted your joke vote on Frozen Flame since you saw him vote else where. I just had the problem of you not asking him to clarify his "Woof!" (which I didn't understand either). I like your response, I don't know how you answering my question on what you have done towards scum hunting would lead to wine-parties.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm UTC

Unvote; Vote: Dark Horse

Post. I saw you viewing earlier. I want content from Dark Horse, Sir Gabriel, and Madge.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale: I want some reads from you too.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:That's been known to happen. Still, I like our voting system better where multiple wagons are able to form, allowing us to analyze voting patterns after some flips. With us requiring hammer to lynch it's very unlikely that 2 wagons coexist, therefore we can't really catch scum trying to save their buddy. Of course I have no experience with your style so I might be proven wrong here.


We generally encourage wagoning and having 2 wagons. (We call that competing wagons, maybe you guys do too) There won't be two hammers, just one but we still have plenty of information from those that were on it and those that gave a position off of it.

User avatar
Gamma Emerald
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

Wall of replies.
Spoiler:
#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:Hi, I am a he, jsyk. I've been slowly binging the comic this forum is dedicated to.
Probably will read Peaceful Whale's games later, just to see how he opens. For now I'm gonna
Vote FrozenFlame
Because he needs to die this time.
PEdit: co-lynched? is that what I think it is because I'm gonna try to abuse the hell out of it if it is. Is that lynching two people tied at votes at day end?


Why does he need to die?

Because I'm joking with him.
bessie wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:@Zyth: I think his main issue is being called scum not being scumread. He just used bad wording.
Why not let heuristically_alone explain his issue himself?

I would have if he had shown he could do it, but he was not acknowledging the main issue I saw.
Evil George Washington wrote:Hello XKCD. This is Ranmaru from Dgames. Catching up shortly. I highly implore everyone to be concise as possible. I don't want to have plenty of walls, it makes it harder to read the thread. If you really need to, please use a spoiler. I am a he.

Oh hello! Being sneaky are we?
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:@Zyth: I think his main issue is being called scum not being scumread. He just used bad wording.

Please don't tell me you rolled scum.

I beg your pardon? What are you tying to say here?
plytho wrote:Mpolo’s claim is weird. I think it makes more sense for town to claim than for scum though.

Gamma Emerald wrote:Also mpolo's role sound Nexus/Mass Redirector-y. Maybe a decent lynch?
Gamma Emerald wrote:@moody: it's more "this is a safe lynch if we need one", as it's not a super-vital role, like Cop.
I don’t understand what you mean by ‘safe lynch’, could you explain?

Basically it's not a cop/doctor/other powerful town PR. So if we want a lynch but don't have any good leads there's that option.
FrozenFlame wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:@Zyth: I think his main issue is being called scum not being scumread. He just used bad wording.
I think you're using bad wording because I have no idea what you're trying to say here. What's the difference between someone "calling you scum" and "scumreading you"? Like what are you actually distinguishing?
Caling someone scum is accusing them. Scumreading them is believing the person is scum.
BoomFrog wrote:Scum points for Gamma Emerald for pushing a lynch on mpolo for trying to be helpful.

Not mafia points for mpolo for trying to be helpful to town with his claim even if it was tactically a poor choice. Feels a bit Indy though.

Scum points to JimBob for agreeing with all the wrong things. Attacking EGW for his reasonable attack. Attacking Gamma Emerald too weakly (smells like scum fishing for support). And attacking Zyth basically just for scum hunting. After typing all that out I've moved JimBob to second scummiest.

I don't really see that as helpful though? Not acting, sure, but claiming that, not really. And you seem to be calling me scum and town here. Which way are you leaning currently?

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:I don't know how you answering my question on what you have done towards scum hunting would lead to wine-parties.
Oh, perfect. Now I finally have a reason to write out my thoughts on this matter, triggered by some recent events. I did not like having to defend myself in X-Men (fyi I was Town). I could think of plenty examples from the past which could have been used to prove my innocence, however I felt that if I were the one to bring them up the evidence would not hold as much weight as if it was found by someone else independently. Problem was most players usually do not re-read older games when they're bored at work and so won't remember such tiny details.

Anyway, I think that anytime a player points out something in his own defense and says something along the lines of 'see that? surely I can't be scum, scum would never do that' then this automatically becomes a huge wine. OTOH if another player (preferably an Innocent Child :) ) comes along, points to the same thing on his own and says 'I don't think he would do that as scum' then the same evidence suddenly appears in a completely different light and will be attributed more weight.
I feel this also applies to such questions like 'why are you Town?' and 'show me where you hunted scum'. YMMV

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:We generally encourage wagoning and having 2 wagons. (We call that competing wagons, maybe you guys do too) There won't be two hammers, just one but we still have plenty of information from those that were on it and those that gave a position off of it.
Good to hear. I've been trying to get players to abandon completely hopeless wagons and making them take sides in one of the leading ones, usually with little success.

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

I suck at reads, even if I'm not pretending to be a noob. I'm working on them right now, but I'm not at a place where I can work on them, I'll try posting early tomorrow.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

Gamma Emerald wrote:Basically it's not a cop/doctor/other powerful town PR. So if we want a lynch but don't have any good leads there's that option.
We only apply this logic to indies (pro-tip to any DGamers: claiming indie gets you killed here). Otherwise the reasoning is simply terrible, even if Redirector was a weak role which it definitely isn't.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:04 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:- Should this scenario occur then it's a bit easier for one of his scum-buddies to realize this, therefore scum-points would have been awarded to any Dgamer coming to the same conclusion.


So you now believe at least one non dgamer is scum?

Peaceful Whale wrote:Scum don't read:

(I am a kinda power role, kinda)
(At least this doesn't give scum information, I told them not to read.


You can read again.


Pretty sure everyone is kinda a power role.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 pm UTC

Hello again, Gamma. If I was truly sneaky I would have not said a thing, but Dgamers knew I was already in the game so it's fair for others to know as well. I like your avatar much better then your previous ones, by the way.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:I suck at reads, even if I'm not pretending to be a noob. I'm working on them right now, but I'm not at a place where I can work on them, I'll try posting early tomorrow.


No excuses. Just do it.

User avatar
Gamma Emerald
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:Basically it's not a cop/doctor/other powerful town PR. So if we want a lynch but don't have any good leads there's that option.
We only apply this logic to indies (pro-tip to any DGamers: claiming indie gets you killed here). Otherwise the reasoning is simply terrible, even if Redirector was a weak role which it definitely isn't.

Mhm, thanks for explaining that. I was working from how my own homesite plays.
PEdit: thanks pal. I like my avatar too.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:So you now believe at least one non dgamer is scum?
Not necessarily but it's very likely based on probability alone.

Gamma Emerald wrote:Mhm, thanks for explaining that. I was working from how my own homesite plays.
Not sure I follow you. Do Dgamers usually consider 'safe-lynching' a weak PR?

User avatar
Spak
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Spak » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Spak wrote:Now back to Data Structures and Algorithms lol.
A man after my own heart! Could you however participate more in the discussion instead of just providing an introduction?

Yeah, sorry. I've been relatively busy over the past little bit, and thus haven't had much time to delve into the game aside from an introduction.

I've never played with Zen (to my recollection), so I can't tell you if this is normal early game play for town!Zen or scum!Zen (if other DGamers would elaborate on that, it'd be appreciated).

Maven89 wrote:Sounds like a bus driver, which is not a pro-town role. I see no strong reason for him to roleclaim this. So please explain why you felt the need to out yourself so early?

Vote: Mpolo

I'm not a huge fan of people role claiming this early on, but I'm not sure if I'd call a role claim this early scummy because he could've been trying to find us a way out of RVS.

Evil George Washington wrote:Sabrar mentions that Peace Whale's reads list is scummy, but he doesn't vote him. He asks Zen a question about his vote on Peace Whale, but he never follows up. He drops his vote at the end. He doesn't care to actually find scum, nor does he care about what Zen's answer to his question would be.

Good catch, Georgemaru.

Zen wrote:It's doggo. I took a bit in high school, but I'm not completely fluent. It's a tonal language so words can mean different things depending on how you say them. For example, "Woof!" means "yes", but "Woof!" means "no".

I took Visual Basic in high school. To be honest, doggo might be more useful lol.

plytho wrote:Mpolo’s claim is weird. I think it makes more sense for town to claim than for scum though.

Care to explain why you think it makes more sense for town than scum?

Sabrar wrote:@DGamers: how often do you have 2 scum-teams? Is it reasonable for Zen to forget this?

I've only ever played in one game that had 2 scum teams (https://smashboards.com/threads/mini-ga ... in.414850/), but haven't ever done an OS setup before (and Zen played on DGames long before I did). There are often indie roles, but rarely (at least from my experience) are there two scumteams.

heuristically_alone wrote:It is common here for people to not start placing votes until we are closer to the deadline. I think the fear is mafia ganging up and quickhammering, which I don't think would be a problem in the early stages of this game.

If that happens, the person who hammered and just hopped on the wagon would be interrogated VERY hard the next day. I don't see why holding back a vote would be a good thing, but I guess I'll just have to accept it as a playstyle difference.

I've gotta go now, I'll finish catching up later.
"As a friend, it is my duty to inform you that your life appears to need more justice."
~Drake Redcrest, 2005

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm UTC

Thoughts on everyone for now:

Bessie: has one solid post, no scum pings
BoomFrog: I like his reasoning here
Evil George Washington: I like his pushing Sabrar
FrozenFlame: I feel like he’s using a lot of words but isn’t saying much
Gamma Emerald: couple of post with little content
Red ryu: similar to gamma emerald
Zyth: putting pressure on PW, and Heuristically_alone not much else
H_A: a bit too much focus on Zyth until EGW asks for opinions on other players
Jimbobmacdoodle: introduction post + half a reads post so far:
Maven: votes mpolo for his claim. I don’t agree with his vote but need to see more posts for a proper opinion
Moody: has the first reads post, I like it
Mpolo: redirectorish claim that I believe (for now)
Peaceful Whale: as I said, there’s a possible scum tell in this post. Other than that I’m not seeing the scumminess. I feel like he’s becoming the easy D1 lynch target because of his posting style and I don’t like that.
Sabrar: usual D1 Sabrar, maybe a bit more defensive than usual though
SirGabriel: 3 posts, no real content so far
Spak: just posted, post looks ok
Znirk: one fine post, waiting for more

Dark Horse: no posts, was online earlier today
Madge: no posts, plagued by the email bug? Hasn't been online since the game started

I'm not very happy with my list. I'll try to order it town to scum some time this weekend but I might be too busy.

Vote: Dark Horse


Spak wrote:
plytho wrote:Mpolo’s claim is weird. I think it makes more sense for town to claim than for scum though.

Care to explain why you think it makes more sense for town than scum?
I don't see why scum would claim such a role. Town can easily verify the claim so if scum have no redirect it makes no sense to claim and be outed. If they do have a redirect, claiming so puts the power in the hands of town. Town can agree on targets and if mpolo refuses he looks very suspicious.

I'd rather let mpolo answer why he chose to claim to explain why a townie would claim such a role.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:08 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote::lol:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Regarding soft claiming town. I keep seeing this , but the concept doesn't make any sense to me. Why would any one not claim town :?: :?: It's clearly a culture difference, but it's standard in dgames to refer to yourself as town.


It's not the fact that you refer to yourself as town. You said that you normally can tell who are the scum by end of d1, then called out PW as scum. This is more than just referring to yourself as town. It's practically screaming, "look at me I am playing to my normal town meta" and that is the big difference.
I'm sorry, but I still honestly don't understand what you mean.

btw you keep back tracking your stance on me. After my initial call out of your slip up, you stated that you thought it over and had scum lean on me after I "started putting words in your mouth". But in your recent response to Gamma defending you, you stated that you thought it was scum before that, during my initial call out.

User avatar
Gamma Emerald
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Gamma Emerald wrote:Mhm, thanks for explaining that. I was working from how my own homesite plays.
Not sure I follow you. Do Dgamers usually consider 'safe-lynching' a weak PR?

>assuming I'm a dgamer person
I come from starmen.net brah

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Apologies, you seemed to know FrozenFlame so I assumed incorrectly.

User avatar
Gamma Emerald
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

lol
That was a game on mafiascum fyi

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Not mafia points for mpolo for trying to be helpful to town with his claim even if it was tactically a poor choice. Feels a bit Indy though.
Why do you think mpolo is trying to be helpful with his claim? And why do you think it was tactically a poor choice?


scum mpolo would have assumed that revealing his ability would lead to people finding him scummy so would be inclined to secrecy. Revealing his secret info is coming from a place of bring helpful and open. However, I think mechanically just saying "I would like to declare that I withheld N0" would be sufficient to clear up any potential confusion if he died and we started wondering about how he used his power. Therefore he revealed a little too much detail so was slight tactically poor.

However, he earned townie points from me and since my opinion is the most important thing in the game it was a good choice overall. Actually, typing this out I'm leaving more town then Indy on him.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

Btw, I did not use my ability last night.

Just in case I die.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
Gamma Emerald
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:37 pm UTC

Some things strike me after that comment:
1) The timing: why announce this now?
2) Why are you concerned about dying?

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

Gamma Emerald wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Scum points for Gamma Emerald for pushing a lynch on mpolo for trying to be helpful.

Not mafia points for mpolo for trying to be helpful to town with his claim even if it was tactically a poor choice. Feels a bit Indy though.

Scum points to JimBob for agreeing with all the wrong things. Attacking EGW for his reasonable attack. Attacking Gamma Emerald too weakly (smells like scum fishing for support). And attacking Zyth basically just for scum hunting. After typing all that out I've moved JimBob to second scummiest.

I don't really see that as helpful though? Not acting, sure, but claiming that, not really. And you seem to be calling me scum and town here. Which way are you leaning currently?[/spoiler]
Only the first sentence is about you, the other two are about mpolo and JimBob. I only called you scummy.

Although, now that I know you a bit better I'm leaning town. You're just not an aggressive person naturally so you are very reactive and you like the idea of picking a safe target. Unfortunately, I need you to be more proactive about finding scum and find someone scummy enough to attack them.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

bump


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests