Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:26 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
plytho wrote:Can you elaborate why that statement is bothering you?
It's a "here is what people might find scummy about my post but it really isn't" kind of remark. That is more indicative of a scum-mindset.
I just figured it would be easier to say there might be differences between the two lists rather than checking the differences before posting my list and addressing them or addressing them all separately as people pointed them out but I see why you'd read it like that.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm UTC

Vote Count 1.4
Frozenflame (1): Gamma Emerald
Sabrar (1): SirGabriel
heury (1): #HBC | Zyth
Maven89 (1): Spak
Gamma Emerald (1): Frozenflame
Peaceful Whale (2): Red Ryu, Maven89
Dark Horse (3): Evil George Washington, plytho, BoomFrog
Madge (1): Madge

Not Voting (9): heuristically_alone, Peaceful Whale, Bessie, Dark Horse, Znirk, jimbobmacdoodle, mpolo, Sabrar, moody7277

With 20 alive, it takes 11 to lynch!

Deadline Clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/basketball?iso=20170913T235959&p0=198&msg=D1+End&font=sanserif

Dark Horse has been prodded.

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:07 pm UTC

So many people to remember...



plytho - defiantly doesn't feel like last game Plytho, probably not scum recruit. His posts are more confident, and hasn't tunnels anyone.
Evil George Washington - besides the fact that he has evil in his name, he's not all that bad. Decent content.
Maven89 - Honestly pretty decent, nothing that he's said has particularly struck me as scum or town. But on the townie side.
Bessie - I don't trust myself to read Bessie, the only thing I've noticed is she's slightly more quieter than usual, I feel like she is normally more active, it could be our different time zones, or she is just catching up with her reading. @Bessie, this isn't like last time when I mentioned roleblocker because I am that, I latterly just read the post were GlaDos was mentioned. And I thought that she was a suicide bomber.
heuristically_alone - I played with him when we were scum buddies, I'd bet a pretty penny that he's not scum... though his posts are kinda iffy, but not that much. Did get weird when fingers were pointed his way. But so did I.
mpolo
Madge- very weird claim, could be scum trying to make it easier to save scum buddies, also seems to put them too close to hammer, if I were scum I'd withhold this till later, getting me that close to hammer would be risky. Probably town.
BoomFrog... I can't really read her/him, like Bessie and Sabar in my mind. Old veteran.
Sabrar, No one can judge him this early. But I want that funny example Sabar.
Spak.not much content, so I can't judge.
jimbobmacdoodle I don't think I've seen this guy yet.
moody7277. Moody always seems scummy to me, it may be because of my bias, but that's it. Other than that he's pretty townie.
#HBC | Zyth I don't like his early call on me at all, to my knowledge I don't appear to be scum to a cop, it feels weird, but may because they come from a different fora. But seriously, saying xxx is scum is pretty weird unless you're cop. Was he trying to pressure me?
Frozenflame
Znirk- I still can really tell yet, pretty neutral.
Gamma Emerald townyish side of neutral, I like their input.
SirGabriel- not all that active, like znirk, but a little scummiest.
Red Ryu - Very little content, bassicly votes for me and puts ambiguous questions. Could be trying to distract town. And voted for me with almost no reason, could be pals with boomfrog, that could explain why they jumped on my little wagon.
Dark Horse - Very scummy, not a single post, but I saw him online once earlier, I'm all for lynching the lurkers.

I'm not all that good at reads, especially with so many people... I try. If their are any questions please do @PW, I'll search for them.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:plytho - defiantly doesn't feel like last game Plytho,
I assume you meant definitely but defiantly sounds a lot cooler 8-)
Peaceful Whale wrote:Maven89 - Honestly pretty decent, nothing that he's said has particularly struck me as scum or town. But on the townie side.
If nothing struck you as town, why townie?
Peaceful Whale wrote:moody7277. Moody always seems scummy to me, it may be because of my bias, but that's it. Other than that he's pretty townie.
what are you saying here? Moody looks scummy but other than that he looks townie? Can you point out townie posts and scummy posts from moody?
Peaceful Whale wrote:#HBC | Zyth I don't like his early call on me at all, to my knowledge I don't appear to be scum to a cop, it feels weird, but may because they come from a different fora. But seriously, saying xxx is scum is pretty weird unless you're cop. Was he trying to pressure me?
I think it's just a very confident way of saying 'I think Peaceful Whale is scum' so yeah pressuring you because he reads you as scum. Should he die and flip cop we'll reevaluate that statement and probably lynch you though.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:moody7277. Moody always seems scummy to me, it may be because of my bias, but that's it.
Is this based on the single game you played together where you were scum and knew he wasn't?

Peaceful Whale wrote:But I want that funny example Sabar.
It was already provided.

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

:P Feel free to lynch me if he flips cop, sorry Sabar, missed it.
I think part of me thinking moody as scum, is the fact that his name has a negative connotation, and last game I thought he was our recruit. (Sorry plytho for pushing for your lynch do much, I didn't realize you were recruit :P I thought so, but I wasn't sure)
Like I said, it's really just that, he's up on the townie side. Just becuase he isn't scummy. What I meant by I think he's scummy is my own weird bias.
I wouldn't be surprised if maven flips scum, but he's not all that scummy right now, should I have said neutral?
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
@moody was your guess on why I initally scum read h_a correct?


My guess was you found the mention of two scum teams in h_a's first post as possibly extra info town shouldn't have. Since a lot of other people are talking about it, it may not be as suspicious.

For the record, I was the first person to mention the possibility of two scum teams. I can't recall seeing a game this large on this forum that didn't have multiple scum teams (which, admittedly, doesn't necessarily mean anything since the mod isn't from around here).

Also, I just realized my joke vote is still up.

Unvote

User avatar
Spak
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Spak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

I'm not a fan of the not cagey = town mentality. It's rather easy for anyone to make a genuine-sounding post if they were to approach the game from a POV that assumes they know no more than the average townie. Furthermore, I'm suspicious of BoomFrog handing out free townie points to everyone who roleclaims early to the point where he said they're town (Madge and Mpolo). If a lot of people claim early, scum knows who to target (or who not to target depending upon their role's importance), which makes me scratch my head at town!Boom rewarding early claims. It makes sense for Madge to claim her role because her role requires collective action and Mpolo could've been launching RVS, but both of those are still null at best. It's also very easy to fake a claim in such a big game because there could be duplicate (or very similar) roles, so a counter-claim could very well lead to a double town lynch. It may just be a difference in forum culture (so someone from xkcd should correct me if I'm in the wrong here), but it seems sketch for someone to say "Madge is town" off of one post so early in the game, and imply Mpolo being town based upon a neutral early claim. For now:

Vote: BoomFrog
"As a friend, it is my duty to inform you that your life appears to need more justice."
~Drake Redcrest, 2005

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

Frozenflame, get at me bro. Answer my question.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

Not much time to post now so this will be short.

To do: Explain my thinking carefully to Mavin.

I agree with so much of what plytho is saying but he's still setting off my scum detector like crazy. He has PW and huristically_alone way too high on his list. I can understand a town lean on them but it's too confident. Also, jumping on the dark horse bandwagon is such a safe move.

Sir_Gabriel I am not liking his style but it is the way he plays as town or scum. Please post your rew thoughts more or by end game you will end up unjudgeable and default to scummy. (That's part of why we lost dark tower Mafia because Mafia looked townie so we went after neutral looking townies.)

Dark horse is the mods problem now.

Unvote

Vote Red Ryu


He has one random attack on PW then no comments on anything else. That's as lurky as it gets.

@Ninja Spak: Both are influenced by meta reads. They are both players who tend to over share as town and they are both pretty bad at inventing plausible fake claims. Madge is also a bit... mmm... stream of consciousness-y. If she is scum it will probably be pretty obvious soon.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

Spak wrote:I'm not a fan of the not cagey = town mentality. It's rather easy for anyone to make a genuine-sounding post if they were to approach the game from a POV that assumes they know no more than the average townie. Furthermore, I'm suspicious of BoomFrog handing out free townie points to everyone who roleclaims early to the point where he said they're town (Madge and Mpolo). If a lot of people claim early, scum knows who to target (or who not to target depending upon their role's importance), which makes me scratch my head at town!Boom rewarding early claims. It makes sense for Madge to claim her role because her role requires collective action and Mpolo could've been launching RVS, but both of those are still null at best. It's also very easy to fake a claim in such a big game because there could be duplicate (or very similar) roles, so a counter-claim could very well lead to a double town lynch. It may just be a difference in forum culture (so someone from xkcd should correct me if I'm in the wrong here), but it seems sketch for someone to say "Madge is town" off of one post so early in the game, and imply Mpolo being town based upon a neutral early claim. For now:

Vote: BoomFrog
You single out Boom, but if I recall Sabrar also said the same.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

Yep, I said the same regarding Madge, BoomFrog's read of her is solid and is the main reason I defended her in Shakespeare. I don't think the same holds true for mpolo though.

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.


I'd rather go for one of these three:
Red Ryu
Znirk
SirGabriel

User avatar
Peaceful Whale
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm UTC
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

I vote we kill the lurker. (His vote on me doesn't effect my willingness to vote for him, but it is pretty scummy)
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

User avatar
FrozenFlame
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby FrozenFlame » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 pm UTC

Alright so generally speaking yall should expect limited activity from me on weekends. Just putting that out there now but I will certainly try to get on and atleast read every 24 hours even if I dont have enough time to seriously post

Anyway here's who I'm ok with dying at this point, in no particular order:

Gamma Emerald
Heuristacally alone
Peaceful whale
Boomfrog
Jimbobmcdoodle
plytho
Red Ryu

Could get on board an inactive pressure wagon on SirGabriel, Dark Horse, or Znirk because I literally have no thoughts on any of these slots due to complete lack of any meaningful contribution

GE is mostly just a gut/vindictive read

H_A's early play didn't really do much for me and all that burst followed by the slick fade out just makes me :thinkingemoji:

Peaceful whale I mostly just think is either noob scum or will just be a horrible liability in end game anyway (too pliable and eager to please others, likely an easy target for scum manipulation if town)

Boomfrog is mostly a gut read as well but I'm feeling slightly better about the slot after his most recent post re: plytho also pinging scum for him. Definitely agree with him where he says plytho has PW & H_A are way too high as town reads. Red Ryu vote isn't too bad either by boom but I think RR is an easy target so also :thinkingemoji: on that

JImbob's contributions feel completing inauthentic and devoid of scumhunting intent. He also never responded to my half assed accusation of him re: him trying to camp out on deciding on a read re: Peaceful whale's early game. Not much content from him to work with to flesh out this read but frankly I think he's my strongest gut scum read right now

plytho's take on what's been going on just doesn't jive with my impressions which is a bit offsetting, though that probably isn't a fair way to read someone. Probably a case of me just not liking the slot and then turning that into a scumread subconciously

Red Ryu is like a diet jimbob IMO as far as my read on him. Posts feel empty and without any intention of actually applying pressure or investigating. Slot feels a bit timid, like he's afraid to jump into the fray and start getting his hands dirty.

Evil George Washington wrote:Frozenflame, get at me bro. Answer my question.


Not sure what question I missed here sorry bro can you repost?

Spak wrote:I'm not a fan of the not cagey = town mentality. It's rather easy for anyone to make a genuine-sounding post if they were to approach the game from a POV that assumes they know no more than the average townie. Furthermore, I'm suspicious of BoomFrog handing out free townie points to everyone who roleclaims early to the point where he said they're town (Madge and Mpolo). If a lot of people claim early, scum knows who to target (or who not to target depending upon their role's importance), which makes me scratch my head at town!Boom rewarding early claims. It makes sense for Madge to claim her role because her role requires collective action and Mpolo could've been launching RVS, but both of those are still null at best. It's also very easy to fake a claim in such a big game because there could be duplicate (or very similar) roles, so a counter-claim could very well lead to a double town lynch. It may just be a difference in forum culture (so someone from xkcd should correct me if I'm in the wrong here), but it seems sketch for someone to say "Madge is town" off of one post so early in the game, and imply Mpolo being town based upon a neutral early claim. For now:

Vote: BoomFrog


liking this post a lot, def contributed to my scumlean on boomfrog

Madge's claim is interesting and I want to say that a role like that is actually perfectly in line with what OS would do with a shit role like jester. Take an awful degenerate role, keep the same basic principle of the role (i.e. get votes to win) and then adjust the goal and payoff relative to that goal. Leveling out a role like jester and turning it into something fun and meaningfully interactive like "you must get X votes at the end of the day to be rewarded with Y power" is a great re-design of an otherwise bullshit role. Definitely nothing out of line with a claim like that. Could def see that role being a powerful tool for town or scum tho so pretty null as far as alignment indicativeness is concerned

Also liking most of mavens contributions

Sabrar I see myself seeing eye to eye with a lot which is unsettling because last time that happened here it was with SDK who was totally scum and just took advantage of my inclination to trust someone with similar outlook. Mostly just a note to self here really

Unvote: Gamma Emerald
Vote: jimbobmacdoodle

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:
FrozenFlame wrote:This is some uncharacteristic early aggression from you Ran. I'm gonna play the you here and ask you to elaborate on this


No, this is in character for me. I elaborated in my post after voting. How is this different from how I usually open early game? Funnily enough, I see you being more active then usual. I'm glad to see that.


This post FrozenFlame. Respond to it please.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:I'd rather go for one of these three: Red Ryu ;Znirk ;SirGabriel


Why is that? Why not Dark Horse?

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

The others have posted. SirBariel and Ryu are actively lurking. Dark Horse hasn't shown any signs of intent to play.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:The others have posted. SirBariel and Ryu are actively lurking. Dark Horse hasn't shown any signs of intent to play.


He's viewed the thread. He hasn't replaced out. This to me seems like lurking as well.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:36 pm UTC

I'm struggling to even keep up with others' posts, let alone post anything meaningful, but here's another late night brief post to respond to a couple of things:

@bessie - applying pressure is fine, but it has to be for reasonable reasons, in my opinion, or I see it as suspicious. IIRC, EGW applied pressure on Sabrar for scum reads, but not voting (note, this might be slightly incorrect, but that was the gist of it, I believe).

Wording arguments rarely produce any meaningful results, and usually cause mass distraction from useful scum hunting.

I can't remember what else others wanted me to respond to, so will have to look back later.

I'm in agreement with those who dislike Red Ryu's lack of content. He clearly has had time to post, but nothing has changed from my early comment on him about not putting in effort. If anything, the point has been reinforced by his subsequent posts.

@Red Ryu - please pick a number of players and post your thoughts on them, with reasoning.

@FrozenFlame - I felt that my more recent comments on Peaceful Whale kind of half answered your question. I wanted to see more from him to try to judge. Also, with time so short for me, I don't have time to respond to every accusation that might be thrown my way (or even really any) - I'd rather use that time to try to gather my thoughts on other players, so that I can make some informed reads. How would you prioritise your time if you were in my situation?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby bessie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm UTC

Ok, I’m going to try to answer plytho’s question to me, as promised here.
bessie wrote:
plytho wrote: :roll: pointing out my defense of PW is fair but pointing out my clarifications and answers to questions as more defense of PW is less fair. Can you point out why my points about PW are unsupported and badly thought out?
I’m not ignoring this question; I’m just going to put it off until later today because this will take me more time to answer than I have right now.

Summary of plytho's relevant content:
Spoiler:
Post 3: Questions Sabrar’s scum read on Peaceful Whale.
Post 4: Defends Peaceful Whale’s post to Sabrar. Speculates that the post may be a joke.
Post 5: Further speculation re same post on Peaceful Whale’s intent.
Post 6: More discussion of same post, this time with FrozenFlame. Cites Peaceful Whale’s newness to game.
Post 9: Still defending same comment to Sabrar.
Post 10: Reads list. Points out possible Peaceful Whale scum tell (but does not elaborate on why it may be a scum tell).
Post 11:Defends a different Peaceful Whale scum read to Zyth and Maven. This post also contains the question that I am currently trying to answer.
Post 12: Updated reads. First read on list is Peaceful Whale (unhelpful newbie town), with some advice for him on what to do to help town rather than just appear town. Interesting, plytho’s reads on bessie, Maven, Red Ryu, jimbobmacdoodle, and heuristically_alone are based on their content/interactions/reads regarding Peaceful Whale.
Post 19: Replies to Peaceful Whale’s reads list.

bessie's summary of plytho's content regarding Peaceful Whale:
So why does he look scummy? I don’t think he what he’s doing is scummy. I think he’s joking. He’s young. He’s new. I’m not saying he’s town, I’m saying he’s falling back on what he did last game because it’s all he knows. Ok, here’s a couple little scummy things he said but c’mon man, he’s new. I don’t think he’s trying to mislead us, he’s new and he’s trying. Let’s lynch the lurker instead.

There’s no real evaluation of why Peaceful Whale’s content is similar/different from his previous game, just as assertion that it is/isn’t, and a defense of that content.

Compare to heuristically_alone’s read of Peaceful Whale here:
heuristically_alone wrote:Another reason I think PW is town. As scum, he put on the appearance of wanting to learn to scumhint and asked lots of questions and actually put forth quite a few reads. PW looks more lost here than he did as scum and now that he has to try to do real reads as town, doesn't know where to begin.

bessie's summary of heury's post:
Here’s what Peaceful Whale did as scum. Here’s how what he is doing now contrasts with his earlier scum game. Here is the reason I think why.

There’s no excessive defense or appeal for leniency for Peaceful Whale’s scummy content (like dude, I was his scum partner, that’s just how he is, you all need to give him a break!), just an observation and interpretation. (Note that heury was Peaceful Whale’s scum partner in the previous game.)

I’m also keeping in mind BoomFrog’s interactions with Peaceful Whale. Note his coaching here, where interestingly, he points out the only townie thing Peaceful Whale has posted this entire game (and it’s not really all that townie), and joins the lurker lynch wagon.

I hope that I was able to communicate my view sufficiently. My thoughts don't always follow a clear, logical progression, and I've been scumread for it before.

Reading new (page 7) content now, back in a bit.

User avatar
#HBC | Red Ryu
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:41 am UTC

Hey guys, I'll be back to this tomorrow, I am doing a league of legends charity drive for hurricane victims, more specifically one run by smash players. I will get right back to this asap tomorrow after that.

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:The others have posted. SirBariel and Ryu are actively lurking. Dark Horse hasn't shown any signs of intent to play.


He's viewed the thread. He hasn't replaced out. This to me seems like lurking as well.

I have high hopes that if he doesn't post, he'll be replaced.

----

@Frozen
FrozenFlame wrote:
Sabrar wrote:@FrozenFlame: what was your reason in agreeing with me? It must differ from mine.

Mostly just thought it was lazy "jokey" posturing. More of a noob tell than anything but you linking that behavior to past scum games only bolsters my apprehension here. Like what does he contribute by posting a read list saying lulz I'm town and herpa derpa idk about the rest of you? It seems like he's trying to force some levity or something which makes me think he feels uncomfortable and that he needs to be contributing something, yet doesn't make any attempt to scumhunt in those contributions.


plytho wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Yes. With a new player I don't expect a lot of changes overnight in his/her thought patterns so I assume Peaceful Whale's mind was at a similar place as last game when he was scum.
I really don't think so. In the last game he was responding to your comments on his reads list and posted an overly simplified list. This time I think he's just jokingly referring to that. The context is very different.

Really agree with Sabrar here. Plytho, on what basis do you think PW was joking here, and more specifically, how did you come to the conclusion that it was a throwback play on his past scum behavior? I feel like PW didn't even think that much about it, as if it WAS a callback surely he would've pointed it out himself. But he didn't and sabrar is the one calling him out on the meta read. So what about this "context" makes things different exactly?
Am I missing something with regards to the bolded?

--

@Spak what are your thoughts on h_a, jimbob, Frozen, bessie, moody, and plytho?

User avatar
Maven89
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Maven89 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 am UTC

It's midnight where I am and I just got home, I managed to skim through what's been posted, I'll post something. Of value tomorrow, but until then, unvote:power whale or whatever, the whale guy. I'll post more about his read list tomorrow, but if he keeps up with what he just did then I will oppose his lynch day 1. If anyone still wants to lynch him speak up now

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Madge » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:53 am UTC

Gamma Emerald wrote:Madge, do you gain a shot of an ability each time or the ability to use it for the rest of the game?


One shot each time,so you guys need to "activate" me on three different days. The first, second, and third shot are different from one another: the first two are very similar, the third is more different. All are abilities I've seen in other games but not necessarily common ones.

I think if you want to activate me, D1 is a good day to do, since I think voting patterns on D1 aren't as helpful on voting patterns on other days.

And since we need to reach a majority vote, if your preferred target would only have one or two votes, give them an underline vote and then vote for me (I have a terrible habit of not voting on D1, but if there's someone I'd like to vote for, I'll give them an underline vote as well). Then AGAIN, it means that I'm the de-facto "second in the votals", so it would make it harder for a wagon to change direction late in the day.

NB: underline votes are used here to illustrate "I want to vote for you but won't quite do it yet" or for a secondary vote (E.g. for vig target). The mod does not count them in the votals.

@bessie for why I claimed D1: My power depends on me getting N/2 votes at the end of the day. My choices to get that are to ask for N/2 votes or to act scummy but not so scummy I actually get killed. Acting scummy enough to get N/2 votes is just super risky and likely to distract Town. I guess I could choose not to use my power, and if that's the case then people just have to not vote for me and I won't get to use it. The first two times I use it are basically worthless unless I'm very skilled (is SDK around somewhere? Can he give me some targeting advice over PM? :P)

RE: me and lynch protection: this power doesn't protect me from the lynch or make a lynch desireable for me. I win with town. If I get lynched it hurts my wincon because there are fewer townies in the game. Just in case that needed clarification.

Madge posted after everyone else so should have been able to form at least an opinion on some players.


It's like I'm drinking out of a firehose here!!! I have enough time to skim the thread and write one or two things but not enough time to pay attention and get a feel for anyone.

Based on metas:

Bessie townie as usual

Sabrar aggressive as usual

Moody seems like he always is

New players I just can't "tell apart" yet (because Bessie's posts go into a "bessie" box in my brain but new players go into a "someone new" box). Sorry.

(new players: this sort of stuff is typical D1 behavior for me :lol: sorry)

Got stuff to do, sorry fam. I know this was a weaksauce post, but I hope defending myself was helpful. Better than nothign right? :/

anyway guys remember: if you are not voting at the end of the day ANYWAY, please vote for Madge!!!!

Scum, vote for me even! It'll give you plausible deniability when wagon analysis comes up and I promise my power isn't that useful :lol:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 am UTC

Lol at that post. Madge is in the 'never lynch, no way, no sirree' category.
I'm actually a bit mad about BoomFrog for spelling out Madge's meta without serious reasons. Now I won't have the chance to use it ever again. Did my approach on this exact thing in Shakespeare teach you nothing?

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:39 am UTC

Dark Horse has lurked out as scum before. I have replaced into his slot in the past. This was a while ago, but it's the only reason that I'm sticking to him right now. He has no reason to lurk out like this. I don't recall him saying he had any problems before the game started, and he hasn't said anything now. If you are intent on voting Red Ryu I don't see why Dark Horse can't also get your vote.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:45 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Well, I guess I'm violating that whole "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" deal.


Why are you violating that deal? Can you expand on this?

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Dark Horse has lurked out as scum before. I have replaced into his slot in the past. This was a while ago, but it's the only reason that I'm sticking to him right now. He has no reason to lurk out like this. I don't recall him saying he had any problems before the game started, and he hasn't said anything now. If you are intent on voting Red Ryu I don't see why Dark Horse can't also get your vote.
I've seen him do the same as town. Many times. It doesn't matter to me either way though. I have one strong scum read (99.839%) and I'm not lynching anyone other than that person when it come down to it. I'll go along with whatever you want me to until it gets closer to the deadline though.

Vote: Dark Horse

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:58 am UTC

Thank you. Which games has he done it as town? I'm interested in seeing your reads list. I think it's almost about that time.

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am UTC

Try Superheroes. Thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head that he was in. I've never been a game with him where he wasn't inactive-lynched or replaced.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:13 am UTC

bessie wrote:Summary of plytho's relevant content:
Spoiler:
Post 3: Questions Sabrar’s scum read on Peaceful Whale.
Post 4: Defends Peaceful Whale’s post to Sabrar. Speculates that the post may be a joke.
Post 5: Further speculation re same post on Peaceful Whale’s intent.
Post 6: More discussion of same post, this time with FrozenFlame. Cites Peaceful Whale’s newness to game.
Post 9: Still defending same comment to Sabrar.
Post 10: Reads list. Points out possible Peaceful Whale scum tell (but does not elaborate on why it may be a scum tell).
Post 11:Defends a different Peaceful Whale scum read to Zyth and Maven. This post also contains the question that I am currently trying to answer.
Post 12: Updated reads. First read on list is Peaceful Whale (unhelpful newbie town), with some advice for him on what to do to help town rather than just appear town. Interesting, plytho’s reads on bessie, Maven, Red Ryu, jimbobmacdoodle, and heuristically_alone are based on their content/interactions/reads regarding Peaceful Whale.
Post 19: Replies to Peaceful Whale’s reads list.


Thanks for that nice list:

Your ‘many many posts defending PW’ comment that I rolled my eyes at is between post 10 and 11. There’s the initial comment. 4 posts with me answering direct questions about it and my first reads list. I’m confused why this comes across as me overly defending PW. I made one point and answered questions about that one point. I don’t see what your problem is with that?

As far as that scum tell goes: I point it out in Post 5. Don’t elaborate on it in Post 10 since I already made my point in post 5 and I’m still talking about the same tell in Post 11.

bessie wrote:bessie's summary of plytho's content regarding Peaceful Whale:
So why does he look scummy? I don’t think he what he’s doing is scummy. I think he’s joking. He’s young. He’s new. I’m not saying he’s town, I’m saying he’s falling back on what he did last game because it’s all he knows. Ok, here’s a couple little scummy things he said but c’mon man, he’s new. I don’t think he’s trying to mislead us, he’s new and he’s trying. Let’s lynch the lurker instead.

There’s no real evaluation of why Peaceful Whale’s content is similar/different from his previous game, just as assertion that it is/isn’t, and a defense of that content.


I’m pretty sure I didn’t say the bolded (by me) part. I think I remember H_A saying something like that.

Plytho’s mindset when making those posts:
-I’m not sure about PW’s alignment but Sabrar’s evidence is weak. On top of that it might look stronger than it is to new players. Better set this straight I’m fine with a PW lynch based on scummy content, not based on a joke.

My main concern about this has been the misleading nature of Sabrar’s evidence1 . It’s not until later, because of points brought up by H_A and you, that I’ve been leaning town on PW. That’s why there’s no strong PW case in those posts.

So, bessie, do you think PW’s ‘reads list’ is a scum tell or a joke?

1 And I'll be keeping this in mind when I try to read him later on.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am UTC

Sabrar, how's your reads list coming? I'm working on one. I hope you are too.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Dark horse is the mods problem now.

Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Dark Horse has lurked out as scum before. I have replaced into his slot in the past. This was a while ago, but it's the only reason that I'm sticking to him right now. He has no reason to lurk out like this. I don't recall him saying he had any problems before the game started, and he hasn't said anything now. If you are intent on voting Red Ryu I don't see why Dark Horse can't also get your vote.
I've seen him do the same as town. Many times. It doesn't matter to me either way though. I have one strong scum read (99.839%) and I'm not lynching anyone other than that person when it come down to it. I'll go along with whatever you want me to until it gets closer to the deadline though.

Vote: Dark Horse
Is this a cultural difference? I think BoomFrog summarizes the xkcd mentality: prodded lurker is the mods problem, so voting doesn't really make sense. Especially when you want to lynch your strong scum read. What's up with that vote?

Also, who is that one strong (99.839%) scum read? You mentioned 3 people you'd vote for rather than Dark Horse.
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.


I'd rather go for one of these three:
Red Ryu
Znirk
SirGabriel


unvote
Vote: Red Ryu
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 am UTC

Active or inactive, scum is scum. We vote them and kill them. I think leaving it up to the mod can be lazy in some situations, like this one. If a person asked to be replaced and gave a reason to the town then I'd be fine waiting for a replacement. If we were to off a lurker I'd rather off Dark Horse over Red Ryu.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby plytho » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 am UTC

I think it's kind of different here. People who don't show up for D1 tend to be replaced while we try to lynch scum that's actually playing.

I'm with you on lynching Dark Horse over Red Ryu if Dark Horse isn't replaced.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am UTC

plytho wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Dark horse is the mods problem now.

Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Dark Horse has lurked out as scum before. I have replaced into his slot in the past. This was a while ago, but it's the only reason that I'm sticking to him right now. He has no reason to lurk out like this. I don't recall him saying he had any problems before the game started, and he hasn't said anything now. If you are intent on voting Red Ryu I don't see why Dark Horse can't also get your vote.
I've seen him do the same as town. Many times. It doesn't matter to me either way though. I have one strong scum read (99.839%) and I'm not lynching anyone other than that person when it come down to it. I'll go along with whatever you want me to until it gets closer to the deadline though.

Vote: Dark Horse
Is this a cultural difference? I think BoomFrog summarizes the xkcd mentality: prodded lurker is the mods problem, so voting doesn't really make sense. Especially when you want to lynch your strong scum read. What's up with that vote?

Also, who is that one strong (99.839%) scum read? You mentioned 3 people you'd vote for rather than Dark Horse.
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, vote Dark Horse with me. I'm at work but I'll post more in depth later.


I'd rather go for one of these three:
Red Ryu
Znirk
SirGabriel


unvote
Vote: Red Ryu
Traditionally it takes 3 prods before the mod takes action on a player in dgames. Since there aren't usually replacement options, a lurker can pretty much through a couple of day phases or more without posting, sadly. Not sure how Yolo is going to go about it.

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 am UTC

Problem with that mindset is that it causes town to eat itself if most of the scumteam is lurking. It also makes it more likely for scum to use lurking as an option unless they are competent. That is why I'm open to active and inactive scum. Have you guys lost games due to most of the scumteam lurking or not?

User avatar
Evil George Washington
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 am UTC

While we are chatting, how do we link to posts? (Neatly)


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Madge and 49 guests