Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 am UTC

I'm in the wrong timezone for the bazillionth time.

Sorry to hear that SirGabriel, hope you'll be back for another game.

Actually interested if his replacement will come up with something new to save themselves so I'd like to not lynch him today. Plus as already been mentioned the wagon can't be really analyzed.

Vote: moody

If we're going for a lurker lynch we need to hit Dark Horse unless mod-action is announced. Ryu is also a good choice.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 am UTC

Going to admit, this is more players then I'm used to, and I don't know half of them. I'm having trouble keeping track of everyone. As it is, I'm going to post about who I remember and have opinions on as I reread. Once we have a few flips I think this game will be much easier for me. If I don't mention someone, it's because I don't have a strong opinion on them. This post is both so people can see where I currently stand on most slots, as well as to help me try and put something down on them. Most of it is going to be very little, but that's because I'm only focusing on a few slots at a time. I also fell really, really far behind in this game, last I truly read in depth is up to page 8. So I'm going to be writing this post while re-reading and basically putting down my initial thoughts on each role. I normally don't like going through and putting thoughts on every single player, but I think this is the best way for me to ground myself.

Peaceful Whale: As long as he continues to post his reads, like he just did, then I do not want him as a Day 1 lynch.I feel that as long as he continues to try, his alignment will shine through, and if he's scum he'll show it. I'm currently wary of him being a Day 1 lynch because he seems like an incredibly easy person to misylnch. I was fine with lynching him before, because if he never "played", and only posted (as he was doing), then we could never be sure and I'd feel the best course is to get the slot flipped as soon as possible. Since he's trying now, that point is moot. When I asked for people who still wanted to lynch him to speak up, I was hoping to bait someone into pushing him. I feel that as long as he tries, there's zero reason to lynch him (so far), and anyone would keep going for it would just going for an easy mislynch. No one took the bait. I do not want Peaceful Whale alive at endgame (unless he does something to confirm his township) because I feel he's too easy to misread, but right now I do not want him dead. With that said, I'm not sure I buy the "mafia would be coaching him" theory. From my own experience, you can never truly coach other players, even if you give them advice they still make their own posts, many times without checking with their teammates. I've seen many examples on dgames where inexperienced players make scum mistakes, and the best their partners can do is inform them of it after the fact.

Zynth: I have Zynth as wary town. I believe he's town, but I know Zynth, and nothing he has done so far (that I can tell) means he can't just be having a very successful scum game. Currently town. I'm only mentioning that he might be scum to let XKCD people know that he has a history of leading the town as scum in case we all die.

Plythos: To be honest, nothing he has done has really drawn my attention. This is a slot I really need to reread, but as of now he's a null.

jimbobmacdoodle: Slightly the same as Plythos, but way lower on the list. While Plythos has been active and null (far as I can tell), Jim has been inactive. Seems he has largely just pushed for easy inactive lynches. Not my first choice for a lynch but an acceptable option

Made: I'm very uneasy with her claim. In fact, I'm uneasy with almost all of the claims so far, but her's is the most confusing and head scratching. Is this an independent role? Is Madge scum with a very powerful role that's balanced by having to be voted on every day? I don't know, but I definitely do not trust people at face value in mafia, and semi-secret powerful role claims are a huge red flag. I'm going to wait and see what happens, with better options I don't see her as a viable Day 1 lynch.

Gamma Emerald: Done almost nothing, only noticeable post is to directly rolefish Madge. Scum, I want to lynch.

Red Ryu: He's normally flighty, is known for making small little posts, but normally has more to contribute. I'm fine with lynching him

Mpolo: He finally responded, and he said the right things. The valid, town reasons for what he did is to remove any confusion in case he died as well as jumpstart the game. However, I don't agree with him claiming right off the bat, he could have waited until he felt he was going to die, or just said "I didn't use my ability last night". Despite this, a tactical disagreement doesn't mean he's scum. I'm still wary of him, and need him to post much more. if he doesn't then I'm fine with him being a Day 2 push to get him to post more. Still uneasy with his role.

Sabrar: Not a big fan so far. Nothing scummy, but most of his posts have been about people's meta and how they're cleared not because of their actions, but because they're playing slightly similar to how they've played before. Lots of meta talk, little scum hunting. Not a day 1 lynch, so I'm waiting to see how the game (and his slot) progresses.

Evil George Washington: I like so far. His content has been on point and he's worked to get reads on people, many examples of scum hunting. Town.

Moody: Everything I said before. Not a fan. Posts a lot with little content. Fine with his lynch.

Znirk: So far, basically nothing. He's made two posts? Will need to see more content from him, but now there's bigger targets. Neither of his posts made me raise an eyebrow.

Boomfrog: Oddly enough, his explanation to me made sense. I'm going to have to go back and see what other people's points where on him, because to be honest I was glancing over them in favor of my own point. No opinion yet.

Bessie: Null.

Sir Gabriel: Kill with fire. First, independents normally always win by themselves. Claiming he has a safe claim means he's definitely, without a doubt, an independent or possible scum member (since he did keep talking about second scum teams). He's definitely the best lynch option for today. I agree with making someone hammer him. My choices are Red Ryu or Gamma Emerald, preferably Gamma Emerald. Red Ryu is second on that list only because everyone seems to want to lynch him, though there's plenty of good reasons for it.

Red Ryu: Normally posts very little, but he can contribute more than he has. Scummy.

Spak: Normally posts more, can contribute more than he has. Scummy.

At this point I've read in depth up to page 10, and I've skimmed the rest a little. I know Spak has posted again, but I feel like if I keep up what I'm doing I'll be spending 4 hours making little notes on players that will just wind up with "idunno", when I know Gabriel has claimed independent (plus I already posted about it because I read it). The Zynth/Gabriel part are based on the skim. Since that's the most important thing, I'm going to stop this post here and go comment on that then reread and quote what I find. part of me wants to just scrap this post, but I'm going to post it anyways since I spent 2 hours on it

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:I'm in the wrong timezone for the bazillionth time.

Sorry to hear that SirGabriel, hope you'll be back for another game.

Actually interested if his replacement will come up with something new to save themselves so I'd like to not lynch him today. Plus as already been mentioned the wagon can't be really analyzed.

Vote: moody

If we're going for a lurker lynch we need to hit Dark Horse unless mod-action is announced. Ryu is also a good choice.

Why do you want to not lynch an independent member?

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 am UTC

Sir Gabriel is, for all extent and purposes, confirmed scum. Why would you not want that confirmed scum dead?

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 am UTC

SirGabriel, real life issues always come first. Take care, and we hope you will be back to play another game soon.

Re: Dark Horse. I quick skim of the thread and it looks like Dark Horse isn’t going to be replaced. DGamers is it common for someone to be allowed to lurk like this when replacements are available? If the answer is no, he must be playing, which would mean scum chat or a really dumb posting restriction.

As much as I am enjoying this game (and I seriously am!) we need to decide on some lynch targets. We need 11 votes to hammer. We can’t count on votes from Dark Horse and SirGabriel. I believe there’s a couple people that won’t be available at deadline (jimbob, mpolo?), and we have less than two days remaining. Everyone should try to post some significant content within the next 24 hours.

Maven89, I’m having trouble keeping track of everyone too and I feel like I was working on this all weekend.

I’m catching up now. There are more posts in this game so far than in some completed games.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 am UTC

I want him dead but I feel he is not an immediate threat. Also as mentioned I'm interested to see what his replacement would say.

BTW why did you list Ryu twice in your list? Did you forget about him that quickly?

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 am UTC

Usually there would be a replacement or search for replacement 24 hours after a prod.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:02 am UTC

Everyone list their bottom 4 they would be fine with going so we can see which candidate would have the most support.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:03 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:I want him dead but I feel he is not an immediate threat. Also as mentioned I'm interested to see what his replacement would say.

BTW why did you list Ryu twice in your list? Did you forget about him that quickly?

I forgot I mentioned him already. I started out writing down names I remembered, then wrote about the names I saw as a I was reading, then when I went to gabriel mentioned the names I wanted to hammer him, and went "oh right red ryu, better mention him" and wrote

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 am UTC

Moody --- Spak --- Red Ryu --- Gamma Emerald

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Everyone list their bottom 4 they would be fine with going so we can see which candidate would have the most support.

Sir Gabriel, Gamma Emerald, Red Ryu, Moody. Moody might be swapped with someone else once I read more.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Vote: SirGabriel

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:quote ping

@Red Ryu, you should take one for the team and be the hammer. You want to get rid of an indy right? Madge did not claim indy, SirGabreil did.

Where? I'm reading up.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 am UTC

moody, jimbob, Ryu, Dark Horse
Add Gamma Emerald if DH is mod-killed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 am UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:
Sabrar wrote:@FrozenFlame: also thanks. So my view is the following:
There are basically 3 possibilities:
- FrozenFlame was lying about the setup, probably because he also has a degenerate role that he wants to hide. Unlikely as multiple DGamers could have contradicted him.
- FrozenFlame was telling the truth as far as he knew but he was mistaken and OS really included a Survivor. Also unlikely, a mod's preferences do not change overnight.
- FrozenFlame was telling the truth and SirGabriel is lying. Much more likely, claimed role is truly degenerate given mod-confirm and everything.

Also wanted to see how FF reacts and I like what I saw.

So I just want to be clear here and admit that it is fully possible that I was overconfident in my claim about what OS would/wouldn't do as a mod. I know he's a very strong game designer/balancer and thus projected some of my preconceived notions about what are/aren't degenerate and otherwise shitty roles onto what my expectations of OS were. To that end, I think the balance of likelihood between possibilities 2 & 3 of your list is far more equitable than you seem to have concluded at this point. Basically what I'm trying to say is that this revelation re: the Glados role has given me serious reason to believe that my understanding of the mod's preferences are not as well founded as I originally thought. Thus, I hesitate to say that OS deciding to include a survivor is an "overnight" change of preference. I'd be an asshole if I let my own overconfidence be treated like gospel re: the mod's tendencies and thus throw off the calculus of other players less familiar with the mod who might rely on those who have experience with the mod for guidance on thinking about the setup.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I have nothing to say regarding Dark Horse at this time.
@Anybody who may be familiar with the designers of this game: would it be within the realms of feasibility that Dark Horse has been prevented by some kind of restriction from posting?

plytho wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:

In an earlier post yolo said dark horse had been prodded. So probably not a posting restriction.

plytho on a roll, nailed it

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
plytho wrote:EBWOP: I think

On the other hand: could a wincon of getting half the votes three times be a thing?

There are.

It's a variant of Warlock/Politican.

Definitely a very real possibility that fulfilling the "get me to halfway lynched 3 times" request actually results in indy victory. Good awareness, though scum has just as much reason as town to be wary here re: potential indy wincons

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:@Frozenflame can you explain your noob scum read in Whale? I will not argue the liability angle but I read more town being goofy than scum. It's very laid back but doesn't look like an act to me.

I guess I see it as less of a deliberate "act" and more of just an example of forced levity. Like whats the point of posting a shitty "reads list" where you all yourself town and say you don't have any reads on anyone else? It's completely empty and worthless. The fact that he's done it before as scum just made me think he was falling into an old habit of just trying to fill empty interaction space with inoffensive meaningless content. This is not a hard read by any means though

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Sweet, Ryu is scum.

What's pinging you? The myopic policy lynch advocacy on madge? The light buddying of you me and spak? Fear mongering us Dgamers by trying to suggest we always let indies slide and get bit in the ass later?

plytho wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:Sweet, Ryu is scum.
Why?
#HBC | Zyth wrote:If Spak doesn't start posting, he needs to be the D1 lynch.
For someone has decided there's only one person they'll lynch today you sure seem to change your mind a lot.

To quote noob noob from Rick and Morty, "God daayyyyyyyum"

plytho ain't pullin no punches

Ok so it's past game meta mostly? Idk I just voted him and it came off as really not caring and way too laid back. Over this and other stuff it doesn't read like scum to me. moving on, where does Frog sit with you at this point?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:If Spak doesn't start posting, he needs to be the D1 lynch.

why?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:44 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Dark Horse has lurked out as scum before. I have replaced into his slot in the past. This was a while ago, but it's the only reason that I'm sticking to him right now. He has no reason to lurk out like this. I don't recall him saying he had any problems before the game started, and he hasn't said anything now. If you are intent on voting Red Ryu I don't see why Dark Horse can't also get your vote.

Ran I really don't get why you are so gun ho on Dark Horse at all. I'm rereading this and I don't see why him at all.

What at all makes him worse than me or others who have not posted as much.

He looks like he isn't posting, just at all not lurking.

At least me people calling me out for lurking I get why, even if that on me is bull from the start.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 am UTC

I need sleep for work so, what I got is this.

This site is blocked at work and I have limited time due to overtime and after work stuff.

Ran I lean slightly town, it's standard and frankly nothing too far from what I expect. His tunneling of Dark Horse I still don't get.

I like Spak because I liked one post on Frog and actual find his voting habits really odd and not following a logical thread. It was a really good point and showed good foresight.

I do not like Frog, weird voting habits and frankly his direction is all over the place.

Idk about Maven, frankly his reads are fine I guess? Idk not really reading as deep into him right now. Rather leave him as null.

Zen's content has been more so productive and I'd rather keep him around, even if he wants me offed.

Whale is too lax to be scum in my eyes.

Misread Madge, I still hate that role claim. Misread who claimed indie from mobile, whoops.

100% on board with SurGabriel lynch.

Dark Horse will be replaced or killed.

Don't really feel strong with the rest unless I can read more tomorrow.

Plytho seems null, read his posts here and there nothing sticks out as bad.

Has Gamma Emerald posted?

heuristically_alone content?

I'll reread others I left off since I got very little on them from the last few pages,

vote: Sir Gabriel

Sir Gabriel -> Moody -> Frog -> some inactive.

I'll try and keep up but I'm lost with a lot of people right now in a 20 person game.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 am UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
Ruy, are you willing to be the hammerer?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:

No, not this game.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 am UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:

No, not this game.
If not, we will have no choice but to lynch you. I will indeed push for your lynch if you hammering is not an option. You're going out either way. If you're town, you can at least help us take out the indy with the hammer.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:58 am UTC

Even if you're mafia, it's beneficial to your team to take out indy in the process of dying.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 am UTC

Red Ryu, explain how my play is standard. What about it is standard to you? What about Frog's voting is odd exactly, quote it if possible.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:10 am UTC

George, what put Ryu on your lynch list?

Side Note: I keep forgetting to reelect "search by post time" after "search by author" and get really excited to see that Znirk and Spak have posted when clicking the last page :[

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Red Ryu, explain how my play is standard. What about it is standard to you? What about Frog's voting is odd exactly, quote it if possible.

Tunneling behavior and string pushes in what you think is the right direction. I still do not get you are Dark Horse.

I can't quote on mobile, but look back at his last few posts. His priorities are backwards, claims to want one direction but then vote another. Spak pointed this out and I thought it was a really good point.

Idk why Zen called out how Sabrar did the same, also not really sure on him either given limited reading.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:

No, not this game.
If not, we will have no choice but to lynch you. I will indeed push for your lynch if you hammering is not an option. You're going out either way. If you're town, you can at least help us take out the indy with the hammer.

If it weren't for my role I would.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 am UTC

His stances are really weak. That's my main issue.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 am UTC

I also don't believe he thinks my play is standard because we haven't played in a while and I am only lately playing with a different play style.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:I also don't believe he thinks my play is standard because we haven't played in a while and I am only lately playing with a different play style.

No offense but a lot of the stuff recently looks like your usual play.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 am UTC

Zen, your bottom 4.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:44 am UTC

There is a point to be made against lynching Gabriel. We won't learn much from his flip that we don't already know, and it won't help us much in hunting further scum (unless he comes up as part of a second faction, which doesn't seem to fit his type of role).

Despite that, I still want him lynched. The longer we keep him the more it throws the game off. If we keep him alive, then we're sacrificing a future day lynch. Night actions or any other events might pinpoint scum, but if Gabriel is alive there's we'd have to abandon it in order to kill him. The mafia aren't going to night kill him. Gabriel has got to go.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 am UTC

I also don't see what a replacement could possibly add. He already gave away his role and that he's not town, I know if I replaced into a slot like that I'd be pretty damn pissed. What could the person possibly do that would aid us? Gabriel already helped the town out as much as he could by outing himself, there's nothing else to be gained.

if Gabriel is still here, he can self hammer (assuming Ryu or (preferable, imo) Emerald won't)

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 am UTC

I'm not on board with lynching SirG (definitely not with being the hammerer), but that's mostly because Around Here indies tend to be relatively harmless and/or broadly pro-town. Does OS tend to have "dangerous indies" in their games?

Since getting votes for a lynch target is coming up, I'd like to remind people that when we're at L-1 or so, I'd love if people could start piling votes onto me until I reach 6 before hammer is done.

I will happily vote for the lynch leader to hammer regardless of if I get my 6 votes or not (I will be awake at deadline! It's in fact during my usual lunch break! How very courteous, deadline-setter!).
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am UTC

I think I almost believe SirGabriel about his claim now. If I had a role like that I might quit too.

I'm going to keep my eye on the people pushing the SirG lynch wagon without a proper finishing plan. What do you expect? Do you seriously think the top scum read would happily hammer? The only way this could go in my mind is that we get to 10 votes, find out nobody wants to hammer and need to scramble for an alternative lynch. Which could be quite difficult near deadline since, as bessie mentioned, some of us won't be around. (I'll be asleep) It feels like an easy way to distract town.

Now, I've seen Peaceful Whale volunteer to hammer. Since people think he'll be a liability in endgame, having him hammer SirG at some point might be a solution.

I'll post my 4 lynch targets later.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 am UTC

This might be useful for people who have issues accessing the site.
flicky1991 wrote:DGamers might not be aware but this forum exists at three URLs:

forums.xkcd.com
fora.xkcd.com
echochamber. me

It's possible your work doesn't block all three (e.g. my mobile internet blocks both the xkcd ones but not the echochamber one).

Thanks flicky!

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 am UTC

Another point: remember how before the wagon the plan was to point scum to SirG in order to get them killed? Pretty sure scum prefers the lynch. Let's keep them on edge.

If SirGabriel is mod killed, does the mod die? : thinkingemoji :
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 am UTC

plytho wrote:If SirGabriel is mod killed, does the mod die? : thinkingemoji :

:mrgreen:

@Everyone, PM prod/replacement request of DH to Yolo. In all likelihood, he probably just hasn't seen our inquiries and may not have noticed DH hasn't posted.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 am UTC

He is aware. Not that I like his response.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 am UTC

Well then. That's unfortunate.

Vote: Dark Horse

Read list is coming up for real this time.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 am UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Frozen: No your reasoning for me.

Other than that "This is scum" post that I thought was uncharacteristically aggressive/conclusive I think you've been fitting the town!Ran mold. Nothing out of the ordinary from what I've seen from you the last couple games we played together, namely Dark tower and the game on MS, and since you were town in those games I'm inclined to lean that your similar behavior here is reflective of being town.
Wait a minute. Did EGW play in Dark Tower? I think I would remember.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 am UTC

@EGW: did you play with BoomFrog before?

Return to “Mafia”