Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Night 3 - Time to go, CEO

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

moody7277

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 2 - Bâ Unbound

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Why so quick to accept wam’s claim that he targeted LaserGuy with a watcher power?

I'm not, after all I did have him at second scummiest looking D1. It is such a bold move that either he's very sure of his town cred, or he's willing to trade himself for a much better hidden scummate at 2-1 LYLO.

jiimbobmacdoodle wrote:@moody - when are you going to update your reads?

Plan on taking a real good look after dinner.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 pm UTC

@wam - quick question whilst I'm thinking about it. Why did you target LaserGuy?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 pm UTC

I basically worked out who I would kill if I was mafia. In more detail...

Bessie, Hari and laser seemed to be the top town picks in the game. I ruled out Bessie as they were top.of everyone's list so would be the most likely doctor target in my mind and I assumed scum would agree. That left it to a laser/hari call and I thought with the pressure at hari over the counting system laser would be the target.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 pm UTC

Also prempting the next question I claimed when I did as I thought a soft claim wouldn't work due to how scummy people found me d1.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Please answer this: why did it matter whether PW understood the exact words FoS stands for? I acknowledge that the somitomi case is a little less clear-cut, but it's still me trying to prevent a discussion getting away from the key point of finding scum because people have built up an unreasonable picture in their mind, in my opinion.
It doesn’t. Peaceful Whale (questionably) didn’t know what FoS means, he asked the question , and he received an answer and a FoS. Case closed, until Hari Seldon assigned him [-0.5] points for it and Peaceful Whale responded with the “other scum games” remark, which was much more interesting so everyone dropped the FoS remark again until you decided to defend him for it.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@bessie - moody himself in this very bit you have quoted makes it clear that he knows wam might be lying. I'm confused why you think moody is necessarily quickly accepting wam's claim here.
Well, he’s willing to make wam and/or Maven the next (one or ) two lynches on the basis of wam’s claim.

Maven89 wrote: Wam is full of shit. I'm pure vanilla townie

wam wrote:Yeah if you had claimed a town power role I may have bought it but the result was definitive.

Also thought this when pw got lynched but didn't say anything as I wasn't online at deadline but if you look at the sign ups the mods said they were aiming for no vanilla roles.. pw vanilla until something happened I bought but pure vanilla nope.

I too doubt that there are any pure vanilla roles in this game, but there was no guarantee so unfortunately Maven’s claim can’t be disproven.

Oh, and wam, I tracked you last night. Care to modify your claim?

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 pm UTC

I had guessed that Bessie and nope.

I got told maven89 visited laserguy

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

I got told you made two stops.

wam

Re: Halloween Mafia - The Werewolf of Wall Street - Day 1 - Let's Get This Party Started!

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 pm UTC

Ok I have no idea why that is.

The only possibility I can see is from the flavour I was given. I am apparently in love with the major shareholder and need to visit him regularly. I got a heavy lovers vibe from it and did double check at the beginning of the game I wasn't a lover. Hence the post below.

wam wrote:Pw did you ask the mod about your flavour powers?

As I also had heavy hints in the flavour and the mod confirmed it was just flavour

wam

Postby wam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

@Bessie so why didn't you claim you tracked someone to the nk straight away?

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 am UTC

wam wrote: The only possibility I can see is from the flavour I was given. I am apparently in love with the major shareholder and need to visit him regularly. I got a heavy lovers vibe from it and did double check at the beginning of the game I wasn't a lover. Hence the post below.
I will need to think about the possibility that you have someone you automatically target every night in addition to your power.

wam wrote:@Bessie so why didn't you claim you tracked someone to the nk straight away?
My result did not seem definitive to me, as I saw you visiting two people, one of which is LaserGuy.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 am UTC

bessie- still being interested in everyone, despite what I seem to recall as a meta for tunnelling. questions Hari, LaserGuy, and jimbob in particular here, PW here with vote, continues on him in her next couple of posts. D2, starts on jimbob here with a side bit against wam. most recent posts show why as she claims wam might not be entirely truthful, and also why she was concerned I was being too credulous. town

ConMan- no data on him. don't know whether to put my scummy reading of somi against him.

Hari- somewhat responsive, but also does some interesting analysis on Maven and wam here. voting for PW until his claim. revotes after some consideration. nothing so far D2. still have the same opinion on him as previous read. slightly town.

jimbob- reads list with wam most scummy & vote, also LaserGuy, Maven, maybe me. questions to several people, including me. switches to PW for lurking. more poking at me on my interpretation of somi (my slightly scummy meta probably deserves the attention). unsatisfied with PW after claim. D2, responses to bessie long post at him, reads list with wam and Maven at bottom with contingencies. seems to be on the town!wam side. town

Maven89- If you believe wam, he's red-handed scum. post questioning Hari a bit here which has something like a reads list at bottom with PW most scummy, votes for him next. bald denial of wam's claim the only thing so far D2. scum iff wam is town*

wam- interactions with jimbob who he had a vote on at one point. switches interest to bessie. votes me off my interpretation of him vs jimbob. several stream of conciousness posts (lampshaded here), next big post a response to Hari on vote timing wrt scumminess. D2 begins with him saying he caught Maven red-handed, also looking for his scummate. looks to be a bit surprised that bessie has info challenging his claim. town iff Maven is scum*

town
bessie
jimbob
Hari
ConMan
wam/Maven
scum

*There is a very small possibility, I suppose, that wam and Maven could have some weird scum double bluff thing going, but I'd put serious money against it.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 am UTC

UnJester is an interesting role. I don't believe I have seen it before.

I do not have much to add today. Maven does not appear to have a defense, so I am happy to end the day as soon as everyone else is satisfied. After rereading, my read list is similar to my page one evaluation:

Town (Strongest): moody, jimbob
Town based on Occam's razor: Wam
Not sure: bessie, Conman
Scum: Maven

Vote: Maven

@Spirits/Ba: LaserGuy, well done. Peaceful Whale, I hope that you can forgive me. Your death will not be in vain.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 am UTC

Damn, when did everyone get so good at providing content?

I only have time for a few quick observations:

1. While I don't mind Hari Seldon's approach to scoring people's posts, I do find a lot of his point allocations somewhat arbitrary. I think jimbob or wam already pointed out that it's a neat way to look towny (because you're analysing posts and picking out good and bad parts) while also providing misdirection (by adjusting the value of things so that your scum list contains the people you want it to). Some of his non-scoring posts have been confusing too.

2. It seems like bessie was the one to start the wagon on PW, and on the basis of what seem to me to be kind of arbitrary scumtells, so I'm a little suspicious of her.

3. I'm with wam - Maven claiming vanilla town is a bridge too far, and seems like a pretty poor defence against a claim of having targeted the person who got NK'ed.

4. bessie's claim about wam having targeted two people is interesting, especially since that means there are multiple tracking abilities in the game. I like that wam's response was calm, and not defensive, which adds weight to his arguments.

vote Maven

And townie points to wam, less so to bessie but I might change that when I have time to think.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 am UTC

I’m pretty sure wam is lying. I saw him visit LaserGuy and Maven89.
wam wrote: The only possibility I can see is from the flavour I was given. I am apparently in love with the major shareholder and need to visit him regularly. I got a heavy lovers vibe from it and did double check at the beginning of the game I wasn't a lover. Hence the post below.
I think that it’s not impossible that you have a role that automatically targets another player every night. I was really surprised when you wrote this because the role you described in the flavor is mine, and I can believe that you have a hidden mechanic where you visit me every night. However, everyone has claimed except ConMan, and he already claimed in this post that his power was passive, and no one has claimed to swap me and Maven, or claimed to have targeted Maven. So I think that the flavor is just flavor, and may even be the flavor in your safe claim. I also think wam may have killed LaserGuy and used a power on Maven (roleblock, role cop?). I’m still disturbed by Maven’s vanilla claim, but I think wam is scum.

Vote: wam

Ninja’d by ConMan while I was typing this post.

ConMan wrote:2. It seems like bessie was the one to start the wagon on PW, and on the basis of what seem to me to be kind of arbitrary scumtells, so I'm a little suspicious of her.
No. jimbob voted for Peaceful Whale on P3. I voted for Peaceful Whale on P4.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 am UTC

Votals:

Maven - (3) - wam, Hari Seldon, Conman
Wam - (2) - Maven, bessie

With 7 players alive, it is 4 to hammer.

Day 1 ends in 4 days, 17 hours
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 am UTC

Bessie, have you checked with the mod that you aren't seeing my result? I.e as I visited laserguy and maven visited laser your seeing both of us?

If that's not the case I have no idea what's going on.

Unofficial vitals

Maven 3 - wam conman hari
Wam 2 - maven, Bessie

Maven is at l-1

Two things that have stood out to me. Is that with a double visit report as a tracker that used to be highly suspicious. As Bessie pointed out it tend so mean nk and power role! Yes I know I'm arguing against myself here. So given that not claiming immediately seems wierd to me.

Second is how short Hari s post was. It came off a bit like a teammate getting a vote down on a found scum whilst trying to avoid saying anything else. It especially stood out given the walls we got yesterday.

Ninjas by the mod making my vitals irrelevant

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 am UTC

Reasons Wam is full of shit

wam wrote:but if you look at the sign ups the mods said they were aiming for no vanilla roles.. pw vanilla until something happened I bought but pure vanilla nope.

Madge wrote:[*]Setup: Closed. We are hoping for no vanilla roles but this may not be possible.

It apparently wasn't

wam wrote:
Yeah if you had claimed a town power role I may have bought it but the result was definitive.

How does this make sense? I say you're lying. If I had claimed a power role you'd believe you were lying?

There's no way the game has both a Watcher (an incredibly powerful town role) and a Tracker (another powerful town role). Wam insists he only visits one person, Bessie said she saw him visit two, including the person night killed. Therefore one of them is straight up lying. If I was scum and caught, it'd make absolutely no sense for my partner to come in claiming tracker and thereby guaranteeing our faction would die together. If Wam is lynched and turns out town, Bessie is proven a liar, I'm proven scum, and the game is over. That play makes zero sense. Bessie lying makes no sense.

Wam, who heading into Day 2 on the top of most people's lists, have every reason to lie. He picks the third scummiest person, claims a guilty, and sits back and drives the town to lylo, getting a town lynched before he gets his inevitable demise. His play as scum makes sense.

bessie's does not.

Bessie's results showeed Wam visited two people, Wam killed laserguy, and Wam is full of shit when he says he saw me visit laserguy..

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am UTC

Okay, that claim by bessie was surprising.

First up, @wam and @bessie - did your results explicitly mention your target, or did you just get the names your target visited/were targeted by?

Quick bit of case breakdown for this, assuming two man scum team, no indies remain:
Case 1) wam is scum buddies with Maven, and got caught out by town!bessie trying to bus him.
Case 2) wam and Maven are both town - ruled out by Maven's VT claim, regardless of bessie's alignment.
Case 3) wam is scum, Maven is town, Bessie is town. Current simplest explanation.
Case 4) wam is town, Maven is scum, bessie is town. Seems unlikely based on bessie's claim contradicting wam's.
Case 5) wam is town, Maven and bessie are scum buddies. In this case, bessie is protecting her buddy, which seems dubious, because if Maven flips scum, she doesn't look good.

Will think on this more during the course of the day.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am UTC

Oops, missed one case:

Case 6) wam is scum, Maven is town, bessie is scum. In this case, wam fakes a result on Maven, and then agrees with bessie for her to bus him in return for lots of town points. When wam is lynched (potentially following a Maven lynch - bonus points for putting us at LYLO), bessie looks super townie. Not sure it's all that necessary - bessie looks pretty townie anyway, so I put this at quite a low probability.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 am UTC

@maven as jimbob said my worry was that there was a ninja or equivalent and you were a town power role also targetting laser and scum got away with it and were laughing at us. Vt removed that option

I got told definitively that maven89 visited laserguy. Which as far as i am aware means no bus driver or similar. If it said maven 89 visited your target we could have many options.

Jimbob from my perspective option 4 is the most likely. I can't for the life of me work out what scum Bessie would gain from that claim. And the role claimed matches my flavour so I would say there is something very odd going on.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 am UTC

Another thought based on jimbob s comment. As i agree a watcher and tracker seems over the top. Do we know all roles are sane?

are all power roles sane

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 am UTC

wam wrote:are all power roles sane

Yes, all power roles are sane.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:41 am UTC

Hypothetical mod question time

if there was a tracker who targeted person a who was a watcher. If person a targeted person b. Then person c also targeted person b what result would the tracker get?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 am UTC

The result would be in the form of 'Person A targeted Person B during the night'.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 pm UTC

unvote

I still want to lynch maven but I have some things to discuss prior to day end. Will write it all up in a few hours when I'm.not at work.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

Votals:

Maven - (2) - Hari Seldon, Conman

Day 1 ends in 4 days, 11 hours

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm UTC

My personal opinion is that jimbob's cases 3 and 4 cover 95% of the probability space with his case 1 being the one I was referencing in my footnote in my reads post. The scum!bessie cases I figure jimbob brought up for the sake of completeness. My progression was wam 2/3 town when he first came out with his claim, then bessie's claim flipped that to wam 2/3 scum. Backing off L-1 for the sake of discussion is good.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

Right some thoughts vaguely ordered. Should say this has been going round my brain all day and I am no closer to an answer than when I started. As a result its very long!

I agree with Jimbob's scenarios as options. However, from my perspective I know I am town so I am not going to bother with the Wam is scum options as that just leads to WINE.

As stated I feel like scum would have powers to alleviate the need to get two mislynches, especially in a game with a large number of power roles (supposition based on the sign up post). This lead to a concern that there would be a ninja or other role that meant that Maven was a town power role I happened to see target laser. The VT claim negated this and made Maven scum in my eyes*.

So working on the basis of Wam=town** Maven=Scum, the odd factor in all this is Bessie.

Scenario 1 - Bessie is town
I have been through all the scenarios and options I can see for bessie getting this result, see above mod questions etc. The only way it can work is if I unknowingly targeted two people in the same night for a reason I don't understand***. Note: if there is a town bus driver out there please dear god claim now it might help us make sense of the mess we are in. Also I the flavour I have said I was in love with the main shareholder, which Bessie has claimed is her role. THis was implied to be a town role but then we have this caveat from the mod.

Spoiler:
Mod note: to prevent a misunderstanding, “town” in this game are evil supernatural beasties who are manipulating the stock market, and “scum” are those who are trying to take them down to save humanity from monsters and/or bring balance back to the stock market. That said, species should not be taken to mean anything: there may be multiple of some species, none of others, and any species could just as easily be town or scum. The flavour text is for entertainment purposes only and should not be taken to be indicative of alignment: that said, I wrote it with full knowledge of alignments so feel free to obsess over clues or red herrings I may have put into it, consciously or subconsciously.

Scenario 2 - Bessie is another indy.
Two indies seems high but you could view the unjester as pretty close to town aligned. In that case there are two options. 1 Jester, bessie is making a play to get me lynched, knowing that the attention will turn on her once I turn town. 2 survivor, this is a very convoluted but bear with me. From Bessie's point of view, today get me lynched. Tomorrow Maven. D4 at 1-1-1 claim and play kingmaker. Also the attention will remove the NK.
I think it is unlikely there are 2 indys in this game but I want to cover all options.

Scenario 3 - Bessie is scum
We all assumed 2 scum. I think this is a safe assumption, but if we have 3 this gambit to make sure I get lynched is a game winiing move. One option that occured to me was that bessie is scum and is a genuine tracker as well.
In the initial spec bessie brought up watcher/tracker as a highly likely power. Then she brought up dark tower where scum had full safe claims including powers. Reading the role pm's the safeclaim powers matched the scum powers. I am starting to wonder if this is the case here.
Having read through the disscussion (that took 15 minutes!) Bessie referenced I can see it being in the game. Or being told there is no tracker in the game as an availble safe claim.
I doubt Bessie made it completely up, what I can see as a possbile scenario is Scum!Tracker!Bessier tracking me, adding in an additional target. Then once I flip town and Maven is lynched the next day bessie has two nights to get another tracker claim and therfore prove she is a tracker and thereby winning at LYLO.
Referenced posts
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Welcome to the mafia forum Hari Seldon! Do you have any experience playing mafia? Also please let us know your preferred pronouns.

Initial setup spec (work in progress):
6 town – cop (with TBD restriction), doctor, tracker or watcher, 1-shot bulletproof townie, backup or bodyguard, and innocent child, two of which are masons
2 mafia - roleblocker, 1-shot strongman
1 independent that can win independently or with any faction

Peaceful Whale wrote:Vote Bessie

Who is obviously town again. :roll:
Curse her townie meta!!!
If I am town, why would you vote for me? FoS Peaceful Whale.

Madge wrote:SDK is now mentoring Peaceful Whale
Double FoS Peaceful Whale.

somitomi wrote:I don't think nights are going to take too long though, since all private chats are daychats.
FoS Somitimi.

wam wrote:I had also missed the all chats are daychats in the opening post, so supciouns at somi for that one. Mild suspciouns but they are there!
If is it suspicious to you that Somitomi missed something in the opening post, then why wouldn’t it be suspicious that you also missed something? FoS wam.

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:
wam wrote: Is that a slip by Bessie as do scum have safe claims madge specifically said species etc don't line up with alignments.

I read through all the rules and there was no mention of safe claims.
No, it’s not a slip. Sabrar and I had a…hmmm… quite heated discussion during The Dark Tower over safe claims. He provided scum with complete town safe claims (name, flavor, power, everything). I…questioned as to why… Well, I would provide the link to the discussion in the Gojoe thread but since I probably (rightly) came off looking the worse out of it, if you want to see it find it yourself. :oops:

Hari Seldon wrote:Bessie, thank you for your answer. On unrelated notes, if you believe that Peaceful Whale is independent, would that not invalidate your point about his RVS post? Do you believe that lynching an Independent is as important as lynching a Mafia? What sort of information could you obtain from FoSing someone without a reason that you would not obtain if you had provided your reason? Was that actually your motivation behind FoSing Somitomi without a reason?

1. No, because if Peaceful Whale is independent (or mafia), he knows that I am not on his team.
2. Depends on the current state of the game. Most important is to hit scum. If I was certain of hitting mafia or indie, it would depend on the indie, the number of remaining mafia, etc. For our current situation, I believe the setup is 6-2-1. If I think the independent has a kill available, I would support lynching them to decrease the number of kills tonight, and also because it might be easier to find a two man scum team working together than two lone scum. If this was later in a large game, like D3, and we still suspected we had two mafia and an indie alive, lynching mafia might be better so that they couldn’t vote together, and by D4 there should be enough content to draw connections.
3. I guess it’s my style, sometimes I just like to I like to imply stuff and see if it goes anywhere. Like how I keep asking Peaceful Whale “What type of one shot indie were you thinking of that could put us at LYLO on D2?” instead of just asking “Are you a serial killer?” Sometimes I’m just wondering if anyone’s guilty conscience will draw any connections. I'm not saying this is the greatest or most correct way to play, I'm just saying it's me.

I still think it’s a little odd that everyone that joined in the night cycle discussion was considering mafia chat as the only factor deciding the length of the night. There are other things going on at night besides mafia chat. For example, there may be some townies that want to see the results of the lynch before they submit night actions, and we’re not all in Madge’s time zone.

Hari Seldon, why did you ask specifically me the question about Maven?

More in a bit. I'm still reading through today's content.

Other items that have stood out
Jimbob's and Moody's reactions to the claim have come across town. I am not 100% about how this ties in with other tells and will need to re-read to work that out. I think this is something I can do D3 (assuming I survive) as the lynch today has boiled down to me versus maven.

Hari is being very quiet today compared to D1 content. RL issues or scum avoiding commenting on their scummate being caught? Also completely ignored bessie's claim.

Spoiler:
Hari Seldon wrote:UnJester is an interesting role. I don't believe I have seen it before.

I do not have much to add today. Maven does not appear to have a defense, so I am happy to end the day as soon as everyone else is satisfied. After rereading, my read list is similar to my page one evaluation:

Town (Strongest): moody, jimbob
Town based on Occam's razor: Wam
Not sure: bessie, Conman
Scum: Maven

Vote: Maven

@Spirits/Ba: LaserGuy, well done. Peaceful Whale, I hope that you can forgive me. Your death will not be in vain.

Notes
* Whilst writing this the possibility that we all have a night target we don't know about occurred to me. I don't think this is likely but I want to think this over some more.
** Dear god if you do lynch me tomorrow please lynch maven tomorrow. I am still annoyed about gargoyles where I caught boomfrog and got lynched then town ignored the result
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=84070&p=3026853&hilit=gargoyles+gargoyle#p3026853
*** This is from the signup posts
Bastardry: Very low; some roles may have hidden mechanics but the mods will not lie.

There is the possibility of hidden mechanics throwing up weird stuff.

Summary
Bessie is either town and there is some weird madness in the roles or playing an epic sum gambit.
Given where we are I am going to put my vote back on maven and jimbob and moody can make the call.

Vote Maven89

Ps I wanted to look into Hari more but I have run out of time. From my perspective we lynch maven. Then I think the remaining scum (2 total is my best guess) is in hari and bessie.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

As promised, here are my re-reads of wam and Maven. I'm going to do a complete re-read for these two, rather than the updated versions I did for everybody else. This took me all evening to do, however, so I haven't had much of a chance to look at other stuff from today.

wam (previous read was top scum):
Spoiler:
Post 1 - Votes me, asks me about my "Alfred" comment. Post 2 - Switches vote to PW jokingly (implying earlier vote was joke). Post 3 - mild suspicions on somitomi for knowing about daychat. Post 4 and 5 - Explains that somitomi is more suspicious, due to present of restriction. Post 6 - LG vs somitomi looks like town vs town. Post 7 - Unvotes. Town read was gut feel. Post 8 - Follows up about question to me. Finds somitomi frustrated town. PW different to FaiD, leaning town. Post 9 - Brief reads list, town - bessie (likes content), LaserGuy (setup spec and pressure on somi), Maven (good content pushing him), Peaceful Whale, somitomi; neutral - Hari (insufficient contents); scum - moody (impression from read), me (believes name of character I gave was slipping of information); votes me. Post 10 - Unvotes me because everybody disagrees with his suspicions. PW's slip looks bad. Asks why circling back is scum tell. Post 11 - answers my questions, withdraws his opinion on me. Post 12 - Admits needs to find more scum reads. Post 13 - gut feel for somitomi is townie, despite arguments for damage control mode, but takes issue with lack of content apart from rules. PW tone is different. Explains reasons for finding somitomi frustrated, along with other reads explanations. Prods Maven. Votes moody for his lynch candidates and just following others logic. Post 14 & 15 - nothing of note. Post 16 - calls for more votes. Post 17 - PW meta read as town, overtaken by scum slip. Post 18 - Prods PW. Post 19 - likes analysis by LG for link between somi and me. Interested in me pushing him and PW. Curious why Hari does not vote. Points out people without reads lists. Post 20 - Still finds not voting scummy. Post 21 - nothing relevant. Post 22 - wonders if bessie slipped re. safe claims. Post 23 - Responds to Hari regarding ongoing concerns. Wonders why Hari thinks he made up the impression on somitomi. Further explains reason for backing down on me. Feels HS going against consensus in calling moody town. Thinks Maven's content has helped his case. Not opposed to PW lynch. Finds Hari's post OMGUS-y towards Maven. Scum group is PW, ConMan, moody. Neutral HS, Maven. Town me, LG and bessie. Post 24 - HS ignored analysis by placing Maven comments under nitpicking. Post 25 - Had heavy hints, but mod-confirmed just flavour. Post 26 - Discusses night kill. Claims watcher, saw Maven visit LG. Read through posts, found not much content, but lots of references to bessie. Aggression to Hari could be bussing. Votes Maven. Post 27 - Me not apologizing definite scum tell. Post 28 - Finds moody scum distancing. Also thinking bessie's focus on PW being indie might be scum-tell. Post 29 - Does not find Maven's claim believable. Points out Mods said aiming for no vanilla roles. Post 30 - Explains why he targeted LaserGuy. Post 31 - Claimed when he did because of how scummy people found him D1. Post 32 - Guessed bessie had tracked him, and still did not change claim. Post 33 - Does not know why bessie saw him target LG. Discusses flavour possibility more, including reference to earlier quote. Post 34 - Asks bessie why she didn't claim she tracked somebody to the night kill. Post 35 - Finds bessie not claiming initially weird. Finds odd Hari's post so short. Post 36 - Confirms explicitly told that Maven visited LG. Thinks most likely case is scum!Maven, town!bessie. Post 37 & 38 - Mod questions. Post 39 - Unvotes Maven to allow more discussion. Post 40 - Looks at options in more depth about bessie's alignment without coming to any real definitive conclusions. Mine and Moody's reactions come across townie. Highlights Hari's quietness again, and lack of comment on bessie. Votes Maven again. Thinks remaining scum aside from Maven is Hari or bessie.
As I previously mentioned, I found wam's early D1 content pretty poor. However, on re-read rather than finding wam to have unreasonably "jumped on" somitomi, I actually am more inclined to feel like it was a potential attempt at distancing. Note that (admittedly like me) he takes the somitomi-made-a-town-error opinion. His "frustrated" reasoning for town!somitomi is then defending this town read. However, this starts changing course again later on, with him liking the LG-postulated link between me and somitomi. I actually quite like much of his late D1 content on re-read.

My thoughts on his D2 behaviour however, have been very swingy. I found it particularly interesting the number of possible scum partners he lines up for Maven during his posts. I noticed suspicions directed at bessie, Hari and moody, leaving only myself and somitomi as people he hasn't linked as scum buddies. I'm uncertain whether this is healthy paranoia or scum trying to throw out anything they can think of in order to try to look townie. His discussion on the flavour point is more concerning. Originally, he claimed that he was told that his flavour was just flavour, but then tries to use flavour hints as justification for how bessie could have seen him visit Maven as well as LaserGuy, although he does acknowledge this in the same post, so I feel less concerned. Everything else feels a lot like a player trying to figure out the contradictory claims. This is only a marginal town-tell though in my opinion, because sensible scum would want to do exactly that (see for example Draculafia, where I tried to pass off the scum cop result on me as being from an insane player, even backed up by obscure flavour).

Maven (previously mildly suspicious due to low content):
Spoiler:
Post 1 - rules question. Post 2 - Questions bessie about detailed setup spec. Post 3 - Asks moody why he asked a question about his indie stance. Post 4 - Explains vague concern over bessie setup spec, but seems satisfied with her response. Moody might be indie. Agrees with bessie over wam pointing out that he didn't know about day chat suspicious. Asks who wam would lynch at that point. Posts 5-6 - nothing of relevance. Post 7 - has major issues with HS's big post. Addresses concerns about statistics, finding me townie for my opening post, other opinions he disagrees with. Asks for explanations on a number of points. Dismisses discussion over day/night chat. Found my opening comment null. Eventually finds useful comment by bessie about it. Really doesn't understand HS's opinion on my opening post. Makes this interesting comment on the topic "if It is roleplay, than why would scum roleplay as their scummy character?" which others have discussed as possible slip. Leaning town on bessie. Queries moody about indie likelihood. Uneasy with Hari. PW slip response more telling than slip itself. Somitomi response less telling. LG and bessie top town reads. Me null, for nothing standing out. Hari null - not a priority. wam null. moody bizarre - no real scum hunting. Would kill PW, then either somi or moody. Post 8 - nothing of relevance. Post 9/10 - questions LG and bessie about their thoughts on Hari ignoring his comments. Votes PW. Post 11 - nothing of relevance. Post 12 - Asks people not to answer Hari's question about people having role names. Post 13 - claims VT, votes wam. Post 14 - expands on his case on wam. Highlights possibility of vanilla. Doesn't understand possibility of PR!Maven and wam's result still making both town possible. Does not believe watcher and tracker present. Points out that scum-buddy!bessie would not come out tying herself to him, so no sense in bessie lying. wam's play as scum makes sense, to bring us to LYLO.
Aside from his detailed comments about Hari's big post, there is very little content from Maven. Many of his points against Hari had already been brought up, and he just recycles them. He seems particularly caught up around the role-playing comments. I could see scum or town confused by this, so null point there. His reaction to wam's claim is really interesting. First up, he doesn't take the (in my opinion) best option (for scum) of claiming town PR in an attempt to a) give town a reason not to lynch him first, and b) to allow for the option of mis-guided wam. It is possible that he was scared of a counter-claim sealing his lynch, or he simply may not have thought of it. His comments on bessie not being scum are broadly correct, but doesn't allow any room for scum!bessie on a crazy gambit. Overall, his reactions don't feel like he's trying to consider all the possibilities. This isn't definitively scum, but it feels more likely to come from scum than town.

@Maven - do you have anything in your flavour that would be of interest to Town? Any references to other characters etc?

Conclusion

I'm leaning towards lynching Maven today. I feel like he has a slightly higher chance of being scum than wam, although I'm far from certain - his play feels far less townie than wam's. Bonus point is that even if we are wrong, at least we only lose a VT, rather than a watcher, which could come up with more useful goods for town, or force scum to risk killing a claimed PR. The biggest thing holding me back is bessie's claim.

When trying to consider whether it is possible for both bessie and wam to be town, it occurred to me that a possible scum power role in this game, assuming the presence of both watcher and tracker in a small game, is to fake a result for another player, which would get added to their list of results. In this case, the faked result would be given to bessie that wam targeted LaserGuy. Relatedly, this of course could also be the case for wam getting the result on Maven, except for the fact that it doesn't explain bessie's double result in this case.

I am uncertain as to who Maven's scum buddy could be at this point among the remaining players. Nearly all of them are possible, in my opinion. Hopefully overnight results will give us some more insights.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:but doesn't allow any room for scum!bessie on a crazy gambit. Overall, his reactions don't feel like he's trying to consider all the possibilities. This isn't definitively scum, but it feels more likely to come from scum than town.

Scum Bessie and Scum Wam make no sense. Bessie is unlikely to get lynched, so why would she throw herself in there? if I'm lynched, I'll come up town, and Wam will die, whether bessie claimed or not. There's at least one investigative role, if it's not Bessie, than someone else can still investigate Bessie in some manner, or simply claim and reveal that there's now 3 people claiming investigative roles. All of these hurt Bessie, when the smarter play would have been to just sit back and let Wam and me trade. No one would have ever suspected her.

If Bessie was under suspicion before, than it'd make sense as a crazy gambit. But gambits are taking a crazy risk to gain a reward, and scumBessie stands to gain nothing by doing it. She wasn't going to be lynched anyways, by claiming against her own partner she's only raising suspicion on her.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@Maven - do you have anything in your flavour that would be of interest to Town? Any references to other characters etc?

I'm a Vampire working in tech support, no one likes or ever listens to me so I have no powers. It says that maybe if people had listened to me the teenagers wouldn't have been able to hack in to our computers. My flavor is talking about how I'm lonely, no one listens to my advice, and maybe if I help out with finding the teenagers I'll gain a friend.

Wam attempting to push for the day to end early before people can talk this out is telling. Hari not talking and ignoring Bessie's counter claim (also pushing for an early lynch) is also telling. I believe Wam is scum and not mistaken, and Hari is looking to me like his partner.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 am UTC

@maven where did I push for an early end to the day?

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 am UTC

Wam, when you asked the mod about your flavor, did you only ask if you were lovers? Perhaps you should ask a more broad question, such as whether or not your flavor could allude to hidden mechanics. Peaceful Whale may have received a different answer than you because of the way you phrased the question.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 am UTC

Maven89 wrote:Wam is full of shit. I'm pure vanilla townie

vote: wam

He must know his time is up and went for a gamble

Why did you not consider that you may have been framed?

bessie wrote:I’m pretty sure wam is lying. I saw him visit LaserGuy and Maven89.
I think that it’s not impossible that you have a role that automatically targets another player every night. I was really surprised when you wrote this because the role you described in the flavor is mine, and I can believe that you have a hidden mechanic where you visit me every night. However, everyone has claimed except ConMan, and he already claimed in this post that his power was passive, and no one has claimed to swap me and Maven, or claimed to have targeted Maven. So I think that the flavor is just flavor, and may even be the flavor in your safe claim. I also think wam may have killed LaserGuy and used a power on Maven (roleblock, role cop?). I’m still disturbed by Maven’s vanilla claim, but I think wam is scum.

Vote: wam
If there is a player that swapped you and Maven and they are a Mafia, why would they claim?

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:43 am UTC

wam wrote: Bessie, have you checked with the mod that you aren't seeing my result? I.e as I visited laserguy and maven visited laser your seeing both of us?
My target was wam. My result was that wam visited LaserGuy and Maven.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:When trying to consider whether it is possible for both bessie and wam to be town, it occurred to me that a possible scum power role in this game, assuming the presence of both watcher and tracker in a small game, is to fake a result for another player, which would get added to their list of results. In this case, the faked result would be given to bessie that wam targeted LaserGuy. Relatedly, this of course could also be the case for wam getting the result on Maven, except for the fact that it doesn't explain bessie's double result in this case.

wam wrote: So claim time, I guess, I am the town watcher, last night I watched laserguy. One visitor Maven.

wam wrote: I got told definitively that maven89 visited laserguy.

wam claimed to have targeted LaserGuy. My result that wam visited LaserGuy is a real result, and wam confirms it. If someone gave me a fake result, it was that wam targeted Maven.

If wam watched LaserGuy and saw only Maven visit him, and the Maven result was a fake result sent to wam by mafia, then who killed LaserGuy?

FoS: jimbobmacdoodle

Ninja'd.

Hari Seldon wrote:If there is a player that swapped you and Maven and they are a Mafia, why would they claim?
They wouldn't, but if we have a town bus driver that has information that would be helpful in figuring this out, they should claim.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 am UTC

Bessie, my question is why are you not considering that there is a Mafia Bus Driver?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 am UTC

Hari seems to have put in a lot of research time to find that role in order to justify bessie's odd-out result in wam's favor. Would seem to be a point against him iff Maven flips town. On the other hand, bessie has put up a fairly straight-forward explanation as to where the problem in her's and wam's result may lie. I feel comfortable being the one to put the nail in Maven's coffin when we decide to.

@ConMan: what is your impression of bessie's latest idea on the issue between her and wam? You've been awful quiet D2.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:44 am UTC

Votals:

Maven - (3) - Hari Seldon, Conman, wam

Day 1 ends in 3 days, 21 hours

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Hari seems to have put in a lot of research time to find that role in order to justify bessie's odd-out result in wam's favor. Would seem to be a point against him iff Maven flips town. On the other hand, bessie has put up a fairly straight-forward explanation as to where the problem in her's and wam's result may lie. I feel comfortable being the one to put the nail in Maven's coffin when we decide to.

@ConMan: what is your impression of bessie's latest idea on the issue between her and wam? You've been awful quiet D2.

I'm finding the whole situation really weird. I still don't believe that Maven is pure vanilla townie and I'll try to expand on that later in this post, but even assuming that he's telling the truth then things don't really add up. It does look like the most obvious explanation is "something messed up someone's results", which would suggest a bus driver or similar. A role that plants fake results could work, but that also potentially gives that player information on what kind of investigative powers are out there. Any mafia role in that space would also provide a certain amount of balance against having both a tracker and a watcher.

So here's one possibility - Maven is Mafia and has some other ability, and the other mafia member is a Bus Driver. The MBD swapped wam and Maven, so that anyone investigating one gets the results for the other. Maven then performed the Mafia kill, and self-targeted his other ability. So bessie, tracking wam, instead gets results for Maven (who targeted LG and Maven), while wam, watching LG, sees Maven target him (or sees himself, but is told that it's Maven).

This seems a bit convoluted, but it's an explanation which does match up with my feelings on some of the players involved.

There could be hidden mechanics whereby certain roles just automatically "visit" certain other roles, but if that was the case then why wouldn't Maven have used that as an argument for his innocence? If wam is just out-and-out lying, then it's a bold move on his part - he would have to assume that trading off Maven's death in exchange for his own was worthwhile, and I don't see the Mafia team being big enough for that sacrifice to be valuable. A wam/Maven scum team would still make for a bold move, since (1) it involves quick bussing to try to get a wrongly confirmed town, (2) it doesn't explain bessie's result particularly well (Surely they would have arranged for Maven to actually perform the kill so that wam's "tracker" result is legitimate).

My other consideration is my thoughts on the interpretation of "avoiding vanilla roles", which is a bit of rolespec. I differentiate "Vanilla Town/Mafia" from "Vanilla" roles, the latter including the simplest forms of the main power roles like Cop and Doctor. When I saw the line about the mods possibly having to give out some vanilla roles, I read that to mean that everyone would have a power, but they were trying to avoid having too many roles that were just the basic powers with no adjustments. I could be wrong in that, but I do feel that everyone in the game has some kind of power, ability or otherwise thing that means they aren't just "You are a normal member of town". Now maybe some of the flavour in Maven's claimed role is hinting towards that kind of latent ability, but I don't buy it quite enough to move my vote from him right now.

So I am still leaning kind of heavily towards Maven being scum and wam being probably town, but being divided on where I think bessie sits. And I don't think that Mafia Bus Driver is such an out-there role that it counts as being "a lot of research" to find, so FoS moody at trying to make that sound suspicious.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:46 am UTC

Framer is a role I don't think I have ever played with. Bus driver is certainly more common but I would have to think through the way it would play out to see if conmans theory is right.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 am UTC

Hari Seldon wrote:Wam, when you asked the mod about your flavor, did you only ask if you were lovers? Perhaps you should ask a more broad question, such as whether or not your flavor could allude to hidden mechanics. Peaceful Whale may have received a different answer than you because of the way you phrased the question.

I asked a broader question and got no comment as the answer.

Return to “Mafia”