1925: "Self-Driving Car Milestones"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

1925: "Self-Driving Car Milestones"

Postby squall_line » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm UTC

Alt-text: "I'm working on a car capable of evaluating arbitrarily complex boolean expressions on 'honk if [...]' bumper stickers and responding accordingly."

See also: some episodes of "Last Man on Earth". Or the robotic self-driving overlords in the movie 'I, Robot".

cellocgw

Re: 1925: "Self-Driving Car Milestones"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

My guess:
Achieved: 1,2,3,5,6(limited routes), 12 (just ask Marvin)
To be achieved soon: 4,7(limited routes),8,10

I really want: 11, 14

To be unfair: it wouldn't be too hard for someone to hack my Tesla so that a red light triggers a switch of audio input to my USB stick containing V-8 unmuffled engine rev mp3 files.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm UTC

And we're back.

This. Is. Hilarious.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm UTC

I was just watching this video about the trolley problem that started with an application to self driving cars. Some coincidence.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm UTC

Mouseover has the real punchline, once again. Although we'd have to first invent cars that are capable of having an opinion on the things bumper stickers say. Either that or have them honk (or not honk) on behalf of their owners.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

Reads bumper sticker, "Honk if you're horny!" Moves horn button closer to passenger's crotch.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Brickmack

Postby Brickmack » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

It seems odd to me to see "self driving car" and "fuel" in the same sentence. Electric cars are already sufficiently mature for widespread use, fully autonomous driving is not

acrabb3

Postby acrabb3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:45 pm UTC

"Honk if"; Drop Table Map; "and you're lost"

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm UTC

I wonder how Eastern European people will convince their self-driving vans, that doing 120 kilometers an hour while towing a minivan on a trailer is perfectly fine...
—◯-◯

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 pm UTC

Having sex in a self-driving car is no big deal. Probably already been done. The real quesion is: Who's the first to sex have with a self-driving car?"

As for arguments, as long as they don't start arguing about the Monty Hall puzzle or plane-on-a-treadmill question, we're safe.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

Brickmack wrote:It seems odd to me to see "self driving car" and "fuel" in the same sentence. Electric cars are already sufficiently mature for widespread use, fully autonomous driving is not

So, to your mind, "fuel" requires hadrons?

(Even if you're correct, I think people will continue to refer to charging electric cars as "fueling", much as they refer to pushing buttons on a phone as "dialing".)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:(Even if you're correct, I think people will continue to refer to charging electric cars as "fueling", much as they refer to pushing buttons on a phone as "dialing".)

Nah, it's already "charging", and "chargers" or "charging stations", everywhere I look.

But then I've never called adding gasoline to a car (truck, lawn mower, bulldozer, whatever) "fueling". It's always "[re]filling", as in "fill 'er up!".

"Fueling" a vehicle might be a non-USAan thing?

I only ever hear "[re]fueling" with respect to aircraft. Probably since we call what they use "jet fuel"... wheeled and tracked vehicles run on "gas" or "diesel" (or "natural gas" or "propane" or whatever; none of them tend to have "fuel" in their name, though.)

averageJon

Postby averageJon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 am UTC

I'm wondering how self driving cars will react to a "Honk iff you don't honk based on bumper stickers" bumper sticker.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 am UTC

averageJon wrote:I'm wondering how self driving cars will react to a "Honk iff you don't honk based on bumper stickers" bumper sticker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Car

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 am UTC

averageJon wrote:I'm wondering how self driving cars will react to a "Honk iff you don't honk based on bumper stickers" bumper sticker.

I was thinking of something similar. However, in your case they simply wouldn't honk. If they don't honk they just don't honk at all, regardless of what the sticker says. If they do honk than the sticker is basically telling them not to honk, so they still don't.

I can't really think of a "this statement is false" kind of paradox for the sticker that actually works.

ruurdjan

Postby ruurdjan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 am UTC

#15 "The Dukes of Hazzard" gets a remake with a self-driving General Lee / Kitt cross-over as lead actor.

seanbrockest

Postby seanbrockest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am UTC

For all the SDC's that might be reading this forum.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:17 am UTC

Speaking of self driving cars, I wonder how our friend is doing:

https://xkcd.com/1559/
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 am UTC

Been quietly lurking for some time, but I had a dream where I was working on autonomous vehicles a week or two ago (really), and in it I said "Just say into here where you want to go, and it will take you somewhere that sounds vaguely like that".
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 am UTC

JGeezer wrote:Been quietly lurking for some time, but I had a dream where I was working on autonomous vehicles a week or two ago (really), and in it I said "Just say into here where you want to go, and it will take you somewhere that sounds vaguely like that".

Can you imagine all the drunken navigational errors?

I've heard of someone who was drunk on new years who told the Uber app to bring them to a same or similar street in the next county. When the driver said "Uh, are you sure this is where you want to go?" the rider snapped at him and told him to shut up, do his job and bring her to the place she put down. This repeated a couple times and the driver said "Ok". She passed out and woke up upon arrival. Then she cussed him out and tried to file a complaint but in the end they determined it was not the driver's fault.

Now can you imagine a day when the car won't even warn you?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:49 am UTC

The car itself wasn't implicated, but I once had a GPS receiver insist that the shopping center I asked it to direct me to was in the middle of a cotton field.

(Research at a later time: not far from where the actual shopping center is, the same street name continues past a city limit boundary into another city with a different zero point for numbering. GPS decided from the number that the shopping center must be five miles further south in the other city.)

measure

Postby measure » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm UTC

JGeezer wrote:Been quietly lurking for some time, but I had a dream where I was working on autonomous vehicles a week or two ago (really), and in it I said "Just say into here where you want to go, and it will take you somewhere that sounds vaguely like that".

"Diagonally!"

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am UTC

seanbrockest wrote:For all the SDC's that might be reading this forum.

I might have a bit of goose in my ancestry, but I rarely honk.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”