Newbie New Year Mafia - D5

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: Newbie New Year Mafia - D1

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:09 am UTC

I know you have a big meta of relying on PR results and everything, but this isn't a plan, it's just hoping that we have a good set of PRs on good players and hoping that they target correctly. If we have the incorrect set of PRs or are unlucky with targets, we're set back hugely.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:I feel like removing people who cause confusion is better than letting them stay.
Are you requesting to be lynched, Whale? :P
Madge wrote:doctor can use beer with their protection target
Eh? Beer?
Madge wrote:if target lives, it's another town PR
Only if someone else dies. Otherwise it could be scum blocked by sane doctor.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:28 am UTC

cemper93 wrote:In addition to the reasons when I originally voted her, she just rubs me off the wrong way ever since. Her scum-hunting efforts, by bessie standards, just didn't seem sincere.
cemper, I’m not sure where this idea about me being a brilliant player comes from. I know that in the last game we played together I was scum and you were town and town got, well, majorly worked, but I’ve always asserted that game was nothing on me and all my team, and SDK posted the chat logs so my lesser role in that win is easily verifiable. I just did a very quick skim, and the only other game I could find that we played together was Unmafia and I lost the g a m e (dodging word filter) for town by voting for you in the three way gunfight on D6 (there may be other games I’m not remembering). Wine, and my ego aside, but I’m seriously puzzled as to why you remember me as such a good player, because based on our games together I was still somewhat new and I don’t think all that great, and I’m wondering if you’re mixing me up with UniqueScreenName or someone else. That or you’re deliberately playing to my meta.

Madge wrote:and then Bessie would accidentally sleep for 21 hours straight and we'd have to all speculate about THAT as well
Madge, just out of curiosity, do you actually know what my point against Peaceful Whale is?

Hari Seldon wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:In all my games, even when I’m town, I’ve been seen as pretty scummy.

*Squints at this*. Is this a slip?

@Bessie @JimBob @Somitomi What do you think about this?
I don’t think it’s a scum slip that indicates he is scum, in that I think that whether Peaceful Whale is scum, or just that he is worrying so hard about being scum read, that he has scum!PW foremost in his thoughts so he's going to be making PW=scum type remarks. Ugh, that's not very clear, and I don’t know if I can be any clearer in what I’m trying to say, but ask me again if you don’t follow this and I will try again.

Hari Seldon wrote: @Bessie Why did you react negatively to Somitomi potentially using meta justification for his read on you, but neutrally to me?
I assume you are referring to this post for both instances. For somitomi, because of the reasons stated. I’ve had the auto-townie meta thing going for a long time, cemper knows about it and this is his first game here in like three years. I guess it’s not all bad, I like playing town and I don’t like playing scum. It gets joked about a lot, including by me (laugh so you don’t cry, right?). But sometimes I just get triggered… maybe read through Shakespeare, that might have been the worst. In game I get aggressive to hide/vent my frustration, in Gojoe I get depressed. In my opinion, somitomi went too far with the meta pokes, and I think he’s trying to cast doubt on me by using my townie-meta.

You did not reveal your meta read, and I didn’t ask for it because I didn’t expect you to reveal it even if I asked. So I don’t know the basis of your read, but I suspect it’s not the usual “bessie is always town until proven otherwise by a sane cop”. And to be honest, my reply was not all that neutral, I hid some passive aggressiveness in it, it’s actually an echo of something I’ve said before in frustration, worded the same way, and just to amuse myself.

Ninja’d by a lot. I wasn’t planning on thinking about this for so long or so hard. Posting it anyway what the heck.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 am UTC

Current Votals

LaserGuy - 1 (flicky1991)
somitomi - 1 (bessie)
flicky1991 - 1 (cemper93)
Madge - 4 (Sabrar, somitomi, BoomFrog, Vicarin)
No Lynch - 2 (Hari Seldon, Madge)
Peaceful Whale - 1 (LaserGuy)
Hari Seldon - 1 (jimbobmacdoodle)

Not voting: Peaceful Whale

With 12 alive hammer requires 7 votes. Tied votals will result in no lynch.
Deadline in approximately one day 11 hours.

Note that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until a mod calls night (or there’s a hammer vote).
Last edited by Suzaku on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 am UTC

Hari Seldon wrote:I am not fully read up yet, but I will have a summary of my reads sometime today.
Could we have this please?

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Madge wrote:doctor can use beer with their protection target
Eh? Beer?

Apparently there's no citation for this in any wiki, but beer is the pro-town wine: so, say I claim tracker with a guilty result, the following evening there's wine:

Mafia wants to kill me because I'm tracker
Doctor wants to protect me because Mafia wants to kill me
So Mafia knows doc is protecting me so they may as well kill someone else
So Doctor thinks they can try protecting someone else so that way they can successfully save someone, since mafia won't target me anyway because it's obvious the doctor would target me
So Mafia wants to kill me because the doctor will be trying to outguess them...

and so on. That's beer. (Or at least what *I* meant when *I* said beer).

flicky1991 wrote:
Madge wrote:Only if someone else dies. Otherwise it could be scum blocked by sane doctor.
Only if someone else dies. Otherwise it could be scum blocked by sane doctor.

Sorry, I thought I specified in my post seeing exactly one visitor: seeing two visitors and the target lives means you've got two town or one town/one scum. Then you get to trade; I think it might be a 2 for 1 trade which is not ideal but you can claim peacewise to get around that, potentially.

bessie wrote:
and then Bessie would accidentally sleep for 21 hours straight and we'd have to all speculate about THAT as well

Madge, just out of curiosity, do you actually know what my point against Peaceful Whale is?

Yes. PW and Somitomi both were offline for 16 hours and may or may not have posted in gojoe in that time. You think that PW was waiting for somitomi to come on and advise him for how to act before he started posting, and lied afterwards. I'm sure I got some details wrong but that's the spirit of it, correct?

I think that if PW and Somitomi were scummates PW wouldn't wait to hear from somitomi based on his behaviour when SDK was mentoring him. With all due respect to somitomi, somitomi is relatively new and SDK is a veteran with tons of experience who in that particular game had scum team pinned down at the end of D2 I think. Maybe PW learned from his mistakes in not using SDK as a sounding board earlier but I don't think so, I think a PW-Somi team is of course a possibility but I don't think PW would wait to hear from Somi before posting.

Vicarin wrote:I know you have a big meta of relying on PR results and everything, but this isn't a plan, it's just hoping that we have a good set of PRs on good players and hoping that they target correctly. If we have the incorrect set of PRs or are unlucky with targets, we're set back hugely.

And I know other people have a good meta of analysing confirmation posts or w/e, but that isn't a plan, that's just reading thousands of words and hoping you get lucky and make a connection. We can all criticise each others' play style. I've tried analysing posts, I've done hours and hours like Bessie, but I'm just not good at it and I don't have fun. This game is for fun, and I try to win within the confines of what I find fun. I play for a flash of genius as all the possibilities crystalise not for working out that two people defended each other in just the right way to sound the alarm. That's just me. You do you.

Votals: Madge at L-3

So, at the risk of starting SleepGate 2.0, I'm home from work now and while I have a lazy evening planned I can't guarantee when I'll be online. I'll be going to bed in about 4.5 hours so I will definitely check in before then. So that way everyone has a chance to change their votes after my claim, I will be claiming as soon as I can before bed. Depending on how much the thread has moved that might literally consist of me posting three words of "I claim X" in a frantic huff and wait for y'all to change your minds.

So I'd appreciate it if everyone voting for me commit to a second choice in advance of that. Or potentially think about changing your votes: do you actually want to get to the point when I claim or do you want to NL and give us more time to get PR results? I'd also be on board with voting for literally anyone who isn't me, FWIW.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 am UTC

in the spirit of sleepgate, here is today's schedule (GMT+8)

8am: Arrive at work
3pm: Leave work, went to shops, bought a christmas card for my brother
3:15pm: Gave blood
4:30pm: Got home
5:00pm: Started writing this post
5:15pm: now

---
Future plans:
5:30-6:00: Read Come as You Are (recommended!)
6:00-6:30: Order pizza, eat pizza (Domino's Australia has vegan cheese now! Follow Your Heart brand which AFAIK isn't available in Aus but is meant to be really good. So we're trying that!)
6:30-9:30: Assorted tasks including binging RuPaul's drag race and maybe Skin Wars; I might actually spend 45 minutes or 1.5 hours working on my novel (see sig)
9:30-10:30: Bed, listen to podcasts for a bit, try not to play Anikaps on my phone but play it anyway because it's addictive, probably frantically remember I'm playing this game and make my last minute claim post for y'all to deal with overnight.

* nb I may need to walk that lovely greyhound you saw photos of for half an hour of this layout, but I think my partners will be taking her while they go farm some Ingress portals tonight.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 am UTC

Unvote

for now.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:09 am UTC

Unvote Madge
Vote Flicky
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am UTC

@Sabrar: Do you really need more? I don't.

@Madge: Don't claim anything.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am UTC

I've thought about it previously and haven't come to a definite decision. Allowing scum to get by on a non-specific PR claim will hurt us if they manage to get to LYLO/MYLO.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am UTC

For the record I am not claiming anything, specific or otherwise. I would have made the same post regardless of my role.

Due to the changes in votals, I am not claiming tonight (unless it is the will of the town). At the moment NL is winning hoorah!!!

BTW to those of you keeping updated on my night, I read for less time than I expected and the pizza will be at more like 7 o'clock.

Unofficial votals:

somitomi - 1 (bessie)
flicky1991 - 2 (cemper93, BoomFrog)
Madge - 2 (somitomi, Vicarin)
Peaceful Whale - 1 (LaserGuy)

Not voting: Peaceful Whale, Sabrar

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:51 am UTC

(hard to quote on phone so will just ask directly)

@Madge, your flash of brilliance from working out two people is kind of impossible without data. And data is precisely what I'm trying to get for everyone. The only PR data we can get is private to the PRs, and not helpful in most situations.

You can disparage analysing votes and everything, but the situation that we're in is very close to a completely vanilla game with how little the PRs can clear people before a mass claim. I know you don't like that, but forcing the wrong playstyle for the game's structure is very counterproductive. If everyone had powers, NL would be a lot more attractive.

In the situation where all the power roles get useless results, we need stuff like voting analysis to go on, but you seem to have an unerring belief that PRs will be useful. In this particular game, beyond their claims, they're ridiculously weak unless they're lucky.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am UTC

Vote: Madge

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am UTC

Unvote
At least until things are cleared up.

Hari Seldon wrote:@Bessie @JimBob @Somitomi What do you think about this?

Oddly enough it seems rather innocent to me despite my unfavorable view of PW.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm UTC

I would consider changing my vote to Madge if there's still a tie and deadline is close, since I don't want a No Lynch.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 pm UTC

Flicky, if you change your vote I'll change mine. Otherwise I will probably move my vote onto you before bed given current totals and I don't find you scummy. I'd prefer bessie or Somitomi.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:13 pm UTC

Given votals as they are we can put somi in first place. But I am not concerned about hammer so we have time to think about it.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm UTC

Btw it's 915 and I just finished doing my nails and the lip sync of rpdr has just started.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:18 pm UTC

@Madge: you promised to claim. You don't get to retract that just because people unvoted before the actual claim.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm UTC

Boomfrog told me not to.

If someone else tells me to, I'll be happy to.

I'm going to bed now but probably not sleep for an hour, so I will check in before I go to sleep.

I'm feeling a bit dizzy from the blood donation so I might accidentally fall asleep without getting a chance to check in, please rest assured it's not me secretly waiting to confer with scummates :P

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm UTC

BoomFrog thought you were claiming PR. I thought so as well originally but you then muddied things up.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 pm UTC

I never muddied things up! I didn't claim anything, I just softclaimed which would perform one of two functions depending on my role:

If I am VT, I hinted I was a PR, because if a VT just goes "FINE I'M VANILLA" at the first hint of pressure then you end up with the PRs having nowhere to hide, so I'm helping to protect the PRs and potentially draw the scum kill to myself instead of them

If I am PR, I tried to get town to think that voting me out was a very bad idea without actually out and saying I'm PR, so scum can't be sure I'm not VT doing the gambit above

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 pm UTC

Or, you know, it's a last-ditch attempt by scum to get people to back off without immediately having a PR counterclaim. I'm not buying this without a proper claim.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Meow...I’m not going to lie, I didn’t in the first place. In all my games, even when I’m town, I’ve been seen as pretty scummy. Only my noobyness got me through some of them. I’ve done stuff like this before. I sometimes find a reads list and copy it, but rearrange what I don’t agree with to fit my needs. I’ve kinda done the same thing here, but more extreme. I’ve been copying people like Bessie, she has already pointed out where. I’m sorry Bessie that your happened to be right about me. : cry : I don’t trust myself to be towny, so I try and follow people who I believe are town (pr at least doing a better job than I am).
This way I don’t screw up, get myself killed, or distract from actual scum. (I’ve mentioned how being towny is important for townies to do).
I’ll stop now, seeing as it’s not working at all, and try and be myself... even though no one likes it. :(

I've been thinking about this, and I can't decide if Scum!PW would be self-aware enough to know that this is what Town!PW would normally post at this stage under pressure. By accident or by design I can't trust any of my tells here :?

Unvote

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Unvote
At least until things are cleared up.

Hari Seldon wrote:@Bessie @JimBob @Somitomi What do you think about this?

Oddly enough it seems rather innocent to me despite my unfavorable view of PW.

I like this reaction.

flicky1991 wrote:I would consider changing my vote to Madge if there's still a tie and deadline is close, since I don't want a No Lynch.

I don't like this one.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Given votals as they are we can put somi in first place. But I am not concerned about hammer so we have time to think about it.

Why put me first out of all the people with one vote? I know I'm on a lot of "lynchable" lists, but the votals don't indicate that in any way.
LaserGuy wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I would consider changing my vote to Madge if there's still a tie and deadline is close, since I don't want a No Lynch.

I don't like this one.

Me neither, at first I thought I misread it.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 pm UTC

Hi BoomFrog! Thoughts about Madge?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm UTC

Regardless of claim I was already getting a bad feeling about the Madge lynch. It's got that "too easy" feeling to it. Of course, for everyone else this can be BoomFrog saving a scummate D1 manuver. So if Madge is scum this is going to suck, but I don't think she's a good D1 lynch.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm UTC

Noted. And if you consider the claiming/not-claiming?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Noted. And if you consider the claiming/not-claiming?

I think analysing that publicly is counter productive to town don't you?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:23 pm UTC

If Madge is Town then I agree. So what if you analyze it outside of the thread and just post a conclusion whether based on this alone you think she's town or not?

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:31 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Madge, just out of curiosity, do you actually know what my point against Peaceful Whale is?

Madge wrote:Yes. PW and Somitomi both were offline for 16 hours and may or may not have posted in gojoe in that time. You think that PW was waiting for somitomi to come on and advise him for how to act before he started posting, and lied afterwards. I'm sure I got some details wrong but that's the spirit of it, correct?

No I guess you don’t know. Madge, there was something which aroused my initial suspicion on Peaceful Whale. Most of my arguments (justified or not is irrelevant) with somitomi center on my perception of somitomi’s misunderstanding of this. That initial ping led me to other stuff like the 16 hours, but that followed later. And you don’t know what that thing is, and why it pinged me. And more bothersome, it seems like you haven’t even bothered to try to figure out what it is. I explained it in detail, multiple times. I provided links. And most bothersome, it seems like you don’t even care. You’re going to scum read me using whatever argument is convenient for you, using content you gleaned from the surface of my content, without trying to figure out why.

Madge, why exactly do you think I’m scum? What was the source your initial assessment of me!scum? What have I done since your initial assessment to support this read?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

What's your read on Madge? Why do you think she's mafia?

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm UTC

Current Votals

somitomi - 1 (bessie)
flicky1991 - 2 (cemper93, Boomfrog)
Madge - 2 (Vicarin, Sabrar)

Not voting: Peaceful Whale, somitomi, Laserguy

With 12 alive hammer requires 7 votes. Tied votals will result in no lynch.
Deadline in approximately one day.

Note that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until a mod calls night (or there’s a hammer vote).
Last edited by wam on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm UTC

@mod: Flicky should have two votes in the tally.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:@mod: Flicky should have two votes in the tally.

@mod: Also, I'm currently not voting.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm UTC

Fixed

Thats what happens when I do posts after a very long day at work.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:If Madge is Town then I agree. So what if you analyze it outside of the thread and just post a conclusion whether based on this alone you think she's town or not?

By "this alone", you mean her talk about claiming? Because I can understand you asking about my overall view, or my view of Madge ignoring the talk of claiming. But I can't understand why you want me to evaluate based on only that. I don't want to discuss it and I don't want to discuss discussing it.

Ignoring and talk of claiming, Madge is a slight town lean at this point, and not a good lynch D1. The lynch is too easy (and we are not going to get any info from such a non-controversial target).

If Madge is town, who would you think is scum based on her current wagon?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:If Madge is town, who would you think is scum based on her current wagon?
somitomi. If he's Town as well then bessie.

Return to “Mafia”