Can Renesemee catch on?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Himself

Can Renesemee catch on?

Postby Himself » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

One disturbing thought has occurred to me: that Renesemee may become a popular name some day. Despite Stephanie Meyer urging them not to, a number of Twilight fans have apparently named their daughters Renesemee. As I understand it, the name Samantha was practically unheard of before Bewitched. What are the chances that Renesemee with become as popular as Samantha?
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: Can Renesemee catch on?

Postby Deva » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 pm UTC

Ranked #1683 in 2017, according to Babycenter.com. (Could be overall or just among female names.) Accounted for approximately 90 babies per million in 2016. Decreased slightly in popularity from 2016 to 2017.

Checked up Samantha on the social security website. Went from #993 in 1958 to #473 in 1964. Leapt to #179 in 1965.

Sees little future for Renesmee. Passed its time in the sun without much impact. Relies on others liking the name independently now.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm UTC

Any names can catch on. Like, I've met... a lot... of women and girls name: Zoe, Zoey and Mary. A LOT. I think Stephanie Meyer made up a bad name in Renesemee. It's just. Nothing I would ever name Myself or My Daughters.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Himself

Postby Himself » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 pm UTC

Hopefully none of those kids grow up to be famous.
-Ratio Tile

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 am UTC

Well, Gwyneth Paltrow name her daughter Apple. If "Apple" can be a woman's name... then so can Renesemee.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:14 am UTC

Need we mention Frank Zappa's daughter, Moon Unit Zappa?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:09 am UTC

I wanna say something witty and snappy and catty feliney about like... white peoples' names, or hippies, or something yet. Nothing comes to mind immediately? Nothing hipstress enough anyways. And I am a privilege leftist white girl full disclosure confessions btw.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 am UTC

Some of those names are so odd they can't even

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 am UTC

Whenever I hear about some weird English name I'm kind of glad Hungarians have to either pick a name from the official list or get the name approved by the institution maintaining the list. There are some weird names on the list (recently someone managed to get "Lemmi" approved so that they can name their son after Lemmy Kilmister), but it's good to know that every name has comply with some basic guidlines like not being impossible to pronounce, conforming with Hungarian orthography or not being embarassing. On the other hand, the relaxed US attitude allowed my parents to use the Hungarian spelling when naming my sister.
To actually be on topic: I think Renesmee sounds quite weird (like it was made up for a novel or something...), but at least it sounds like the name of a person and not a computer or a fictional spacecraft.
—◯-◯

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Need we mention Frank Zappa's daughter, Moon Unit Zappa?
lol what the fuck

"My name is SPACE PROBE VOYAGER Smith. Nice to meet you"
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:To actually be on topic: I think Renesmee sounds quite weird (like it was made up for a novel or something...), but at least it sounds like the name of a person and not a computer or a fictional spacecraft.

I read that Japanese last names were on a governments approved list and they had to choose a last name from the list or else apply to makes up a new ones or something? ANYWAYS: "Renesemee" sounds like it was made up for a novel, it sounds hipstress and unwieldy and... why: Stephanie Meyer even makes it up for her fictional daughter of Bella and Edward Cullen? She might as well have calls her, "Moon Unit Zappa" or something. 'Cause: "Renesemee" is not an actual female name, there are TONS of females'/girls' names she could have chosen. Why Renesemee why? *Flails and cries helplessly re: Stephanie Meyer's naming practices of newborn girls.*

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 pm UTC

My mother had some friends who didn't want to impose a name on their kid, so just let them pick once they were three. Kiddo went with Eeyore. It seems completely reasonable, except that Eeyore was a dick.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 pm UTC

Of course, Pamela, Fiona, Jessica and Vanessa were invented names too.

The only difference between a stupid new name and a generic name is time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

Meaning of my first name.

Meaning of my middle name, which I sometimes go by, 'cause it sounds fancier.

Girls' and women's names are fascinating to me. I spend hours and hours learning new women's names and their meanings. I would even research... Renesemee... if it had a websites somewhere online. :D

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

It's a mashing of Rene and Esme in to one name.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's a mashing of Rene and Esme in to one name.

I prefer bringing Esme and Magrat together, albeit not as portmanteau.

(And add Wendy to the names (at least popularly) invented by works of fiction.)

BTW, I'd not known Renesmee (Note Spelling!) as a name. I've not really seen beyond the first of the Twilight series. Had to look it up. A bit Bladey, apparently?

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:46 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:Stephanie Meyer even makes it up for her fictional daughter of Bella and Edward Cullen? She might as well have calls her, "Moon Unit Zappa" or something. 'Cause: "Renesemee" is not an actual female name, there are TONS of females'/girls' names she could have chosen. Why Renesemee why? *Flails and cries helplessly re: Stephanie Meyer's naming practices of newborn girls.*

To be fair, Stephanie Meyer has told her fans not to name their daughters Renesmee. She at least has the sense to know there is a difference between naming a fictional character and naming an actual child.
-Ratio Tile

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

As much fun as it is to make fun of made-up weird names (kind of a guilty pleasure, being named Forrest myself), this whole thing other countries have with official government lists of allowed names seems really, creepily authoritarian to me. I could understand there maybe being some very broad standards like only using letters, so no M1k4l (pronounced "Michael") or ♀ (pronounced "Feh-MAH-lay"), or even being pronounceable, so no Mxyzptlk or W'rkncacnter. But not actually having a list of allowed names.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

Pfft. Mxyzptlk is easy.

Mykyla is hard.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm UTC

A white person's name I can't pronounce: Caoimhe. And: Aislinn. What you doing to names white peoples? :(

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:A white person's name I can't pronounce: Caoimhe. And: Aislinn. What you doing to names white peoples? :(

That's not just White Peoples, that's the Irish Gaels! Pretty much the Whitest people there is! (Unless they have significant Spanish Armada shipwreck survivors in their ancestry, maybe.)

Oh, and if you pronounce them K(w)eeva and As(h)lynn, bracketted bit optional or even half-pronounced, you won't be a million miles off. There's worse Q-Celtic names, with their digraphs, trigraphs. Even some hexagraphs, at times. Anyway, start with the idea that "Daibhid" is "David", in getting your head round the way to combine the letters, and usually it works out.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:45 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Whenever I hear about some weird English name I'm kind of glad Hungarians have to either pick a name from the official list or get the name approved by the institution maintaining the list. There are some weird names on the list (recently someone managed to get "Lemmi" approved so that they can name their son after Lemmy Kilmister), but it's good to know that every name has comply with some basic guidlines like not being impossible to pronounce, conforming with Hungarian orthography or not being embarassing. On the other hand, the relaxed US attitude allowed my parents to use the Hungarian spelling when naming my sister.
To actually be on topic: I think Renesmee sounds quite weird (like it was made up for a novel or something...), but at least it sounds like the name of a person and not a computer or a fictional spacecraft.

Oh man now I want to have a daughter so I can name her the GCU Misplaced Empathy or something.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:03 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:As much fun as it is to make fun of made-up weird names (kind of a guilty pleasure, being named Forrest myself), this whole thing other countries have with official government lists of allowed names seems really, creepily authoritarian to me. I could understand there maybe being some very broad standards like only using letters, so no M1k4l (pronounced "Michael") or ♀ (pronounced "Feh-MAH-lay"), or even being pronounceable, so no Mxyzptlk or W'rkncacnter. But not actually having a list of allowed names.

It seems to me "there being some very broad standards" is pretty much the case here, there are 2243 female and 1712 male names on the list and a couple new ones are approved (and added to the list) every month. The list just eliminates the need to approve "Sándor" and "Béla" over and over again, allowing you to check every name only once (and eliminate pesky spelling variations). It's nothing like the legends about North Korean hair styles...
—◯-◯

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm UTC

I agree with Pfhorrest. The governments should NOT be approving names. Names are for parents to give their kids NOT the governments. And even if their list is gentle and fair it's still... really creepy-creepy authoritarian... for governments. To tell you, a mommy or daddy, what you can name your children? Seriously they need to get out of parents' private lives. Same for the Japanese governments.

Himself

Postby Himself » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 pm UTC

What about counties like New Zealand, which have lists of banned names? I think it's good you can't name your kid "Anal" or "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii."
-Ratio Tile

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 pm UTC

Women and men name their li'l girls weird things still. Yet... I guess... having ban hammered names for being obscene is okay? I know I wouldn't wanna be named, "Anal." Or: "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii." Though... if a mommy or daddy wanna name their kids weird, strange, offensive names then. I don't think mommies and daddies should be ban re: making bad choices on behalf of their kids? Names however. I guess names are important? Even though some Shakespeare dude or woman said, "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."
Last edited by Ginger on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Himself

Postby Himself » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:10 am UTC

Ginger wrote:Women and men name their li'l girls weird things still. Yet... I guess... having ban hammered names for being obscene is okay? I know I wouldn't wanna be named, "Anal." Or: "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii." Though... if a mommy or daddy wanna name their kids weird, strange, offensive names then. I don't think mommies and daddies should be ban re: making bad choices on behalf of their kids? Names however. I guess names are important? Even though some Shakespeare dude said, "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet."

Having a ridiculous name, though, can cause serious damage to a person's life. See the example of the guy who legally changed his name to Spider Man. Afterwards he could not get a promotion or a date and would probably have a hell of a time getting a new job if he had to. Doing such a thing to a child would get them relentlessly bullied.

These parents don't don't seem to realize that naming an actual person is a bit different from choosing a gamertag.
-Ratio Tile

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 am UTC

People don't ever even call me my legal name, so I have sympathy, yet: It was my parents who named me and if I don't like it? Legally change my name or adopt an alias. That said, yes, a ridiculous name can damage someone's life. Even my middle name, Sabrina, gets compared to the teenage witch character sometimes as, "a friendly joke." And that... gets annoying.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:15 am UTC

People made fun of me for being called Forrest when I was a kid, and yes when the movie Forrest Gump came out people made comparisons there and it pissed me off back then. But I don't regret having my name, and now when people make Forrest Gump jokes it's hilarious, especially if that someone is a barista at the Oxnard Starbucks named Jenny, of which there are apparently three; or if that someone is me, and I'm eating at a Bubba Gump's restaurant and they'd like to know the name for my table, or if I need to excuse myself to use the restroom, or if I'm eating ice cream, or if I just feel like runnin'...

In fact last weekend I met a pregnant stranger who had been considering naming her unborn child "Forrest" but her husband had doubts, and I may have given her the ammunition to win that argument with my anecdotes.

I do think giving a kid a "normal" middle name (which I also have) is a good idea, so that they can just go by their middle name if they want to. (Sometimes, when I am depressed and feeling guilty for not being more conformist, I think that maybe I should have gone by my middle name, along with things like keeping my hair short and wearing boring clothes, instead of being, you know, interesting and myself). Or better still, I think, to give them a "normal" first name that people will use by default, and an awesome middle name that they can use if they like it. I knew a guy whose first name was just "Nathan" but middle name was "Orion", and he just went by "Orion" online and everywhere. Built-in cool "nickname", but if you don't think it's so cool, you can always just be "Nathan" or "John" or whatever by default.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:20 am UTC

Ginger wrote: Names are for parents to give their kids NOT the governments...Seriously they need to get out of parents' private lives.

Spoiled for *mainly*!unrelated side thought...
Spoiler:
But what about religion? Sexuality? Stuff like that? (Things more on the extreme scale).
Is it ok for parents to enforce their beliefs on the their children? It’s pretty much inevitable that their children (when they are young) will had the same beliefs and standards as their parents...
I don’t know where I’m going with this.
Things just change as you go from extreme to extreme. It’s ok to steal air, but not diamonds.

I just dealt like ginger would say that it’s not right for anyone to force a name on kids. Though names are a bit different from other stuff. I’d say that it’s just there to make life easier, it doesn’t really matter if you’ve got a bad name. It won’t really ruin your life for forever.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 am UTC

how do you decide what makes a name ridiculous, though? i hear non-black people *constantly* make fun of black names, and having a stereotypically black sounding name is measurably linked to lower hireability etc. other names that white people read as "too ethnic" as well.

but you take any kind of name, "apple", "moon", "mckyla" "ti'aqua", any type of name is perfectly normal in some community and totally ridiculous to another.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:44 am UTC

No it's not right for whites to make fun of black names. And personally as an adult who wanna be named whatever she wanna then I support all names, no matter how racial they sound. And I suppose it was wrong to mock the very possibilities of Apple, or Moon Unit or whatever. I read a case study about a woman named like... Princess Rainfall or something? If she wanna be call that....

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am UTC

Ginger wrote:I agree with Pfhorrest. The governments should NOT be approving names. Names are for parents to give their kids NOT the governments. And even if their list is gentle and fair it's still... really creepy-creepy authoritarian... for governments. To tell you, a mommy or daddy, what you can name your children? Seriously they need to get out of parents' private lives. Same for the Japanese governments.

The government gets into parents' private lives all the time, see Child Protective Services.
—◯-◯

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am UTC

CPS and all the happy women and men... and I've met several women from CPS... can get out of my life and my parent's life forever and ever a hundred years. And get out of good, struggling, religious parents' private lives and homeschooling of their children. AND choosing their names, which is for Parents Only and not governments or lists.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:CPS and all the happy women and men... and I've met several women from CPS... can get out of my life and my parent's life forever and ever a hundred years. And get out of good, struggling, religious parents' private lives and homeschooling of their children. AND choosing their names, which is for Parents Only and not governments or lists.

As I said before, parents can choose whatever name they like, even getting a new one approved consists of sending a simple application. Then they put the approved name on a list of "names we already checked and you don't need to ask again". I'm not saying it's perfect (the guidelines are vague and the decisions have been criticised as arbitrary) or that it should be the norm everywhere, but it's a reasonable system and I'd personally take it over having to ask if it's "Dominik", "Dominic" or "Dominique".
—◯-◯

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

My parents called me 248 RPA, so that I might be able to get a personalised numberplate, but it turns out this guy in Oxford got it first. I then legally changed my name to DHV 938D, in anticipation of a deal on a van (sight unseen), but then some other wheeler-dealer gazumped me.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:I'm not saying it's perfect (the guidelines are vague and the decisions have been criticised as arbitrary) or that it should be the norm everywhere, but it's a reasonable system and I'd personally take it over having to ask if it's "Dominik", "Dominic" or "Dominique".

Yes, a list of spellings appropriate for names would be handy. It would take the confusion out of whether I am a "Zoe" or "Zoey" lady. Or Rachaels and Rachels. Or Jenny girls and Jenni women... etcetera.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:My parents called me 248 RPA, so that I might be able to get a personalised numberplate, but it turns out this guy in Oxford got it first. I then legally changed my name to DHV 938D, in anticipation of a deal on a van (sight unseen), but then some other wheeler-dealer gazumped me.

You'd think getting a vanity plate to match your name is easier than changing your name to match your car's numberplate, but apparently not :mrgreen:
—◯-◯

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:42 pm UTC

What's disturbing is not the name itself, but the fact that parents have managed to spell it so many different ways already (none of which match OP's spelling, funnily enough).

My parents considered calling me Christopher, but settled on Paul, partly to save me time and effort. :lol: If I constantly had to clarify the spelling of my name I'd get it changed to the most common/correct spelling or something similar.

Return to “General”