Alien Warfare Mafia (GAME OVER)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 am UTC

bessie wrote:Found one for you. Happy to be of service.
True, should have been more precise. I don't like discarding posts if it's not to the detriment of others enjoying the game.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed May 02, 2018 7:15 am UTC

OFFICIAL VOTALS


Sabrar - 2 (LaserGuy, Mark_Cangila)
Maven89 - 1 (Sabrar)
wam - 2 (SDK, Bessie)
SDK - 1 (wam)

Not Voting: jimbobmacdoodle, Vicarin, Maven89, FreezeBlade, mpolo, plytho, Liri

Please correct me if I have your vote wrong.

With 13 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch!

DEADLINE: 4 Days, 20 Hours 45 Minutes
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 am UTC

Liri wrote:@jimbo re:wonky - out-of-the-ordinary, unusual, yeah. Not "highly technical" or some other definition.

Regarding plytho's yet-to-be-shared post, they (he?) called something the "elephant in the room" but no one except jimbob has remarked upon it (I may have missed an oblique reference). jimbob called it "a list of what has been spilled about the setup/by Town."

[Pause to write angry letter to toothpaste company for changing their design]

Is what plytho's referring to something slipped by Town? plytho's statement reads as very un-Town, to me.


What about plytho's statement feel "un-Town" to you? Do you think he might be mafia?

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 am UTC

bessie wrote:@wam feeling paranoid this morning?

I deserved that. But could you answer the question.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 am UTC

wam wrote:
Vicarin wrote:Hmmm, let's try this...

@wam: please post your best guess at setup numbers, preferably with as little commentary as possible.



I do object to this route on principle and I think it will give scum more information. However I know I William be accused of being evasive so I will answer and save the debate for after the game. However I want more than just Vic thinking it's a good idea.


Some incentive.
Vote: wam

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 am UTC

Ok.
Somewhere between
6-3-2-2 to 4-3-3-3. With possibility of an Indy in there.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 am UTC

That's... interesting.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am UTC

I think I'm going to keep my vote where it is.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am UTC

But just out of morbid curiosity... can you explain what those numbers mean in terms of Town/scum/other?

User avatar
Maven89
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Maven89 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am UTC

Sabrar, you're still voting me but seem to have completely forgotten about me and haven't mentioned me since. You also haven't been scum hunting since. Who do you think is scum and why?

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am UTC

Liri wrote:Regarding plytho's yet-to-be-shared post, they (he?) called something the "elephant in the room" but no one except jimbob has remarked upon it (I may have missed an oblique reference). jimbob called it "a list of what has been spilled about the setup/by Town.
Ping!

FoS Liri for not knowing what the elephant is.

No issues with wam's setup spec. I'd like LaserGuy to explain what he found interesting about it. I don't think SDK answered the indie question directed to him. IGMEOY LaserGuy and SDK.

Ninja'ed by Maven.

On to rereading wam and Vicarin.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 am UTC

@Maven89: I haven't forgotten my vote but you didn't post anything to change my mind. Your willingness to quick-lynch and over-eagerness to prove that you have the town-pm are still the biggest indicators for me. Your explanation regarding the latter feels off.
I've already shared where my suspicions lie and am in the process of preparing the post about the replies to my query (spoiler: unfortunately no significant result).

User avatar
Maven89
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Maven89 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 am UTC

[quote="j]No issues with wam's setup spec. I'd like LaserGuy to explain what he found interesting about it. I don't think SDK answered the indie question directed to him
[/quote]

Just butting in to say that I found Wam's setup interesting as well

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 am UTC

@wam: Well, I think that a 4 person town would be completely ridiculous in a 13 person game so I'm pretty sure it's not the latter.

@LaserGuy, Maven: Hey, want to do the same setup spec that wam just did? Numbers with not much explanation please.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:But just out of morbid curiosity... can you explain what those numbers mean in terms of Town/scum/other?


Later I want more reactions first.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:
@LaserGuy, Maven: Hey, want to do the same setup spec that wam just did? Numbers with not much explanation please.


And plytho please
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:@wam: Well, I think that a 4 person town would be completely ridiculous in a 13 person game so I'm pretty sure it's not the latter.

.


Iv played more ridiculous games.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 8:03 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:No issues with wam's setup spec. I'd like LaserGuy to explain what he found interesting about it. I don't think SDK answered the indie question directed to him. IGMEOY LaserGuy and SDK.


My role PM specifically names two factions in addition to human, so I've been operating under the assumption that's what we're dealing with.

Vicarin wrote:@LaserGuy, Maven: Hey, want to do the same setup spec that wam just did? Numbers with not much explanation please.


9/2/2 or similar.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 8:43 am UTC

Explanation time (lot of work for nothing...)

One possible way to catch scum is to ask them a question for which they have no prepared answer. If they are uncertain of the reason behind the question they might try to think about what a 'townie' answer would look like and not answer honestly.

About a year ago I thought up some interesting vote-changing abilities (that would in some way tie back to the role's primary ability or cause a change in the role, etc). I didn't want these powers to be claimed and verified as that could have led easily to the clearing of certain players. Therefore the effect of these abilities had to be hidden from the players. I wasn't sure how this would be received, so I decided to ask the players first. In the end I was discouraged to include those roles. (Aside: I was bit peeved when mpolo decided to include some of these mechanincs anyway in Shakespeare III and am a bit more peeved now, but whatever)

Several players responded, some of them also play in this game. I hoped that because they probably wouldn't remember this I might catch some inconsistency in their replies.

bessie: a year ago, now
Originally expressed dislike, was a bit more reserved this time around though I get a similar feeling from how she talks about it being bastardy.

freezeblade: a year ago, now
I had the least to go on here from the three but I perceived a slight distaste for it in the original reply and there is no indication that freezeblade attempted to answer otherwise now.

jimbob: a year ago, now
In both answers he expressed the desire for the mechanic to be balanced, limiting the number of such abilities to one or two at the most. Very consistent.

Overall I feel that bessie's answer is the most guarded but it doesn't show any kind of big discrepancy with what she said before.
Hoped to get more out of this.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm a little confused by this statement:
Liri wrote:If scum don't know the win-con, then I'd assume there's something wonky
@Liri - what do you mean by wonky in this context? As in is the game unusual/unbalanced/bastard etc?
Why were you confused here? You've expressed multiple times that you expect scum to know the town win-con and it should be abnormal for them not to. Given that Liri's statement is basically the same I don't see why it would cause confusion.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am UTC

Right so sabrar s last but one post has convinced me he's town. That was a plan that I don't think sabrar would have used in a scum game as he would have wanted to save the logic for when it would be very beneficial.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 12:03 pm UTC

@wam: you still owe me those past examples.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby mpolo » Wed May 02, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

Sorry for disappearing yesterday -- May Day is a holiday around here.

I have just very rapidly read the last 6 pages, so some details are going to be uncertain.

As Maven(?) said, the problem with Sabrar's initial post is not absolute – a proper explanation could have defused suspicion. However, that explanation is lacking, which suggests that Sabrar doesn't know the town win condition. However, I also feel a bit uncomfortable in trying to weasel information out of this, though.

The suggestion that town is smaller than is typical seems likely to me. Probably not quite so small as wam has it.

Currently we have a lot of people piling onto Sabrar. The initial ones of these are likely town (need to do some tallying there), but after the first couple, we could have some bussing going on.

<Copier technician came, lunch break>

With 13 people, I'm guessing that we have something like 6-8 town, but the scum divided into more than one faction (or a serial killer, I suppose). Because we're here on XKCD, there will be an independent almost certainly. I don't really have any idea what kind of powers to expect in the setup, though.

EDIT before post: Wow only two ninjas. I need to look at the Sabrar post in question.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm UTC

Vicarin:
Spoiler:
Notes no town role PM. Discussing it is bad idea. Has some setup thoughts. Wants to wait to see other people say incorrect things about the setup. Finds Sabrar setup spec suspicious. Asks what Sabrar thinks is wrong in opening post. Votes Sabrar for no direct answers. Doesn't want quick lynch. Difference between revealing wording in PM and revealing info. Sabrar is not human. Expects scum to have town win-con, but not guaranteed. Still can't see why Sabrar won't give unambiguous info from PM. Unvotes after Sabrar gives info, but wants to know why not earlier. Can't talk about old game setup without revealing too much. Asks Mark what was suspicious with his posts. Explains why brought up win-con and access to it. Objected to Sabrar setup spec and happy for others to discuss it. Wants contributions from less-active players. Mark has wrong reason for why Vic objected to Sabrar post. Tried to clarify if opening post was joke, but Sabrar oblivious. Asks wam for setup numbers.
Vicarin obviously has access to the town win-con, and since his interactions were similar to how I could have seen myself acting regarding Sabrar, I think it likely that he is town. He was willing to back down when his initial evidence was refuted, and has looked at one or two others. I'd like his thoughts on more players though.

Wam:
Spoiler:
Initially read Vicarin first post as scum warning buddies, but discarded that idea. Sabrar opener mildly suspicious. Thinks about 13 player setup. Second half of post was suspicious. Wants LG opinion update. Wants Maven to explain reason for wanting to post town win-con. Points out possible contradiction in Sabrar setup thinking re. External info. Sabrar backing down doesn't add up. Thinks scum claiming town win-con plausible gambit. Not indicative of Maven alignment. Asks Bessie whether scum!Sabrar backs down more often. Analyses Sabrar posts and votes him over them. Offers to give past examples. Bessie doesn't need to worry over L-2. Asked Bessie because of meta knowledge. Has only asked for others opinions only twice. Mark posts odd, but not being coached. Bessie likely town for meta read. Explains to plytho Vicarin first post scum read. Liri post waffly. Sabrar good enough player to fake things. Wants to know why Sabrar asked specific people about voting mechanics and says above minimal bastardry. Promises setup spec if multiple people request it. Unvotes Sabrar, as content has improved. Votes SDK for active lurking. Calls out bessie for early vote without long reasoning. Thinks 6-3-2-2 or 4-3-3-3 (+indie) possible. Wants more reactions before giving more detail. Asks plytho to do setup spec. Convinced Sabrar is town, as plan unlikely to come from scum!Sabrar.
I'm not seeing what people find suspicious about wam. It's clear to me from his setup spec that he knows the town win-condition, and there are hints in what he said before that on the same lines. I think it's good that he's trying to interact with a few other people, not getting laser-focused on Sabrar. Leaning slightly town.

Didn't get this finished on the bus, and am just finishing my lunch break now. Will try to get back to responding to recent comments/questions later in the day on my way home.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 12:38 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@wam: you still owe me those past examples.


I do! Will try and get it done tonight. I got bogged down in trying to do an analysis of you as scum in crossover last night. (As a counter example)
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Vicarin » Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 pm UTC

Well, cat's basically out of the bag now, I'd say that scum almost definitely has the town PM anyway given how this has gone down (unless we managed to confirm a ludicrous number of people).

My best guesses for the setup are 6-3-3-1 and 6-3-2-2, which would lead to significantly different games, but I'm not sure which one is more likely (maybe latter?). I do think it's highly probable that town does not have a majority of players though.

LaserGuy wrote:
Vicarin wrote:@LaserGuy, Maven: Hey, want to do the same setup spec that wam just did? Numbers with not much explanation please.


9/2/2 or similar.


I think 9/2/2 or similar is exceedingly unlikely unless there's some really, really crazy mechanics going on the background.

I'm still not quite sure what to make of Sabrar's sudden change from
Sabrar wrote:So no, I'm not going to discuss role-pms. I'm perfectly fine being lynched over this, it's just not how I want to play the game.

to
Sabrar wrote:BTW the setup must be a combination of Shakespeare III and Cross-over but similarly to those I don't think it's balanced.


so I'll have to think on it further I guess.

Most interested in further content from SDK (why wait to fight?) and plytho (pretty sure the elephant is public knowledge now), after that, I'll get a full reads post compiled soonish.

@mark+Liri: Any thoughts about the setup without going into specifics?

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby SDK » Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm UTC

Not enough time at the moment to get into this in detail (just finishing up my marking for the year), but I intend to dump all I know into the thread soonish. Much of it has already been dumped, but I think I've got slightly more information than the average townie, and I'm pretty sure it's beneficial to share. Pretty sure.

Maven, if you see this before I claim, please explain why you wanted to be the one to let the cat out of the bag.

PS: I wanted to wait because I wanted wam's setup spec first.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Mark_Cangila
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@Mark_Cangila: Please pick at least two players other than Sabrar or Vicarin to look at in a little more depth and explain what you think of them and why.

I only have time for 1 right now. SDK is too quiet. If he was in scum, he might be waiting because Sabrar isn't in his faction. He might be an indie, or Sabrar may be, but I doubt they are both mafia. I feel like SDK is cool with Sabrar or Wam getting lynched.

User avatar
Mark_Cangila
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 pm UTC

EBWOP I also dislike how SDK says he has more info than the average townie. It probably is a special role but... Just seems a bit off.

User avatar
Mark_Cangila
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Much of it has already been dumped, but I think I've got slightly more information than the average townie, and I'm pretty sure it's beneficial to share. Pretty sure.

Sorry to triple post but why are you pretty sure?

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby mpolo » Wed May 02, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

Since Sabrar often posts before reading his Role PM, I guess I have to accept his explanation for the slight weirdness at the beginning.

Otherwise, I haven't had any real reads. Maven was quick to jump on Sabrar, but with the clarification from the Mod that some scum may have had the town condition given to them, the towniness of this move is somewhat lessened.

We don't know specifically what the aliens' win conditions are, which may mean that these are non-standard as well. But we are sure that we want to eliminate the aliens.

My PM doesn't seem to give me any additional information about the setup that I can see.

Tomorrow, I will try to take some notes, and not just desperately skim the thread.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:My role PM specifically names two factions in addition to human, so I've been operating under the assumption that's what we're dealing with.
Same here, although I haven't concluded that we were told about all the factions. This conclusion may have been influenced too much by my WoT2 thoughts however. What makes you think we were told about all other factions?

@Mark - thank you for your comments. When you get a chance, please consider somebody else too. I also think you missed Vicarin's question to you:
Vicarin wrote:@mark+Liri: Any thoughts about the setup without going into specifics?
Sabrar wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm a little confused by this statement:
Liri wrote:If scum don't know the win-con, then I'd assume there's something wonky
@Liri - what do you mean by wonky in this context? As in is the game unusual/unbalanced/bastard etc?
Why were you confused here? You've expressed multiple times that you expect scum to know the town win-con and it should be abnormal for them not to. Given that Liri's statement is basically the same I don't see why it would cause confusion.
It's not really the same thing. I'm not confused as to why Liri describes the situation as wonky. I want to know what specifically Liri means by the word wonky. It's a very general term, and the specific explanation might give an insight into how he's thinking.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Mark_Cangila
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Mark_Cangila » Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:@mark+Liri: Any thoughts about the setup without going into specifics?

I also agree 6-3-2-2 since in the role PM it mentioned two aliens, and an extra alien faction could be hidden maybe?

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:My role PM specifically names two factions in addition to human, so I've been operating under the assumption that's what we're dealing with.
Same here, although I haven't concluded that we were told about all the factions. This conclusion may have been influenced too much by my WoT2 thoughts however. What makes you think we were told about all other factions?


I'm not sure exactly how to explain this without quoting explicitly. Um, let's go with... my feeling was that the part of the role PM that might lead you to believe that there are other factions, I interpreted as referring to the members within those factions. I honestly hadn't really considered the possibility of more than two factions other than maybe an indie. I am less certain this is the case now having received some clarification from the mod.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

Vicarin wrote:Well, cat's basically out of the bag now, I'd say that scum almost definitely has the town PM anyway given how this has gone down (unless we managed to confirm a ludicrous number of people).

My best guesses for the setup are 6-3-3-1 and 6-3-2-2, which would lead to significantly different games, but I'm not sure which one is more likely (maybe latter?). I do think it's highly probable that town does not have a majority of players though.


If that is what you were expecting the setup to be, I'm a bit confused as to what you were attempting to do with the PM gambit. Why would you assume that the not-necessarily-mafia factions would have the Town wincon but that the necessarily-mafia factions wouldn't? Or were you hunting for any non-Town players that didn't have the role PM?

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4552
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 5:12 pm UTC

Unvote: Sabrar

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1304
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 02, 2018 5:23 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:re: Sabrar stuff
I'm actually coming to the opinion that Sabrar has some kind of ability that is activated once there is a certain number of votes on them, or one who's targets needed to have voted for them the previous day. I agree that that sort of "sloppy play" is very un-Sabrar-like. Smells of gambit.
So in your opinion Sabrar has probably activated that ability? How did you come to this opinion[/quote]

I was mainly spitballing my thoughts at that point. My opinion is that this is a possibility, another could be a jester-like role, which could explain their "sloppy" play earlier. Although later posts have softened my view somewhat, ending up somewhere around the "scummy side of neutral."
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby plytho » Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm UTC

Jimbob, I think you’re misreading/misrepresenting me re: tracking town spills
Liri not knowing what the elephant is is a little worrying but I want to give him some newbie leeway here.
Bessie, you’re not usually one to answer questions addressed to others I believe, what gives?

Oh and now that bessie has pointed it out here’s my post I made in response to Sabrar’s question:
the elephant wrote:I’m not sure this is all the information that’s been spilled. (in fact I’m pretty sure it’s not, but it’s sufficient to make my point)

Vicarin’s second post points out that your setup spec is suspect.

Bessie’s second post asks for your updated setup spec.

From this it’s clear that town has information about setup that doesn’t match your spec. Your spec is pretty standard for the number of players. One of the numbers must be wrong: town, scum or indies? Does town know the exact number of townies? The exact number of scum? The exact number of indies? Maybe they know the number of scum teams?

Maven’s post points out that, hey, maybe the numbers aren’t wrong.

That doesn’t mean the number of scum teams can’t be wrong. So multiple scum teams might be the crucial bit of setup information in the town wincon. One of those indies could be described as a ‘scum team’ after all.


My setup guess is 8-3-2 or 7-3-2-1.

wam wrote:Right so sabrar s last but one post has convinced me he's town. That was a plan that I don't think sabrar would have used in a scum game as he would have wanted to save the logic for when it would be very beneficial.
Well, the fact that it helped your opinion on Sabrar switch from scum to town is quite beneficial, wouldn’t you say?

Mark_Cangila wrote:EBWOP I also dislike how SDK says he has more info than the average townie. It probably is a special role but... Just seems a bit off.
While you’re not actually doing it here, I’ll still take this opportunity to warn you about role-fishing.

Role fishing is trying to find out what role other players have, by trying to get them to talk about it. It’s usually anti town as it provides information to scum about who to target with their kill/abilities. So any attempt to figure out someones role is considered scummy.

It’s also usually a bad idea to talk about your own role.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.
Posts: 1113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Liri » Wed May 02, 2018 6:21 pm UTC

It seems likely, at this point, that a traditional town doesn't constitute the majority of players, but probably a plurality. Something along the lines of 4-3-3-3, or maybe even 3-3-3-3-1, is what it looks like right now. I've been going through in my head how that sort of game would play out; I'm in agreement with what's been said about balance though. Not quite sure how it would play out.

@plytho - I was looking for reactions, there
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby plytho » Wed May 02, 2018 6:34 pm UTC

Liri wrote:@plytho - I was looking for reactions, there
Where?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bessie, Madge and 11 guests