1989: "IMHO"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rmsgrey

Re: 1989: "IMHO"

Postby rmsgrey » Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 am UTC

So, to avoid the argument over whether "gin" or "gift" is closer to "gif", I looked up the 26 possible 3-letter combinations starting "gi" on wiktionary. Six of them had English pronunciations listed:

gif was listed with both pronunciations, soft 'g' listed as the inventor's preferred; hard 'g' as the most common.

"gin" was listed with a soft 'g'.

"gib", "gig", "git" and "giz" were all listed with a hard 'g'.

So, just looking at the words that match "gif" according to exactly the same pattern as "gin", it's clear that "gin" is the exception...

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue May 08, 2018 2:24 am UTC

To add a descriptive angle to the heretofore prescriptive gif vs. jif debate:

Before coming to America in 1998, I had never heard anyone say "gif" in English; I'd only heard it in Dutch, where it is pronounced just like the Dutch word "gif" (which means "poison," but that's not really relevant :mrgreen: ). Which, in IPA, is /ɣif/ or /xif/, neither of which sounds English.

So, coming to America, I had no preconceived notions about how gif should be pronounced in English. And what I found was that almost everyone said "jif." I have heard people call it "gif" with a hard g, but they were in the minority.

If I were a dictionary writer, I'd say that the pronunciation is jif, with gif being a variation.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 08, 2018 2:40 am UTC

That anecdotal experience matches mine, GlassHouses (I hardly ever heard anyone say it with a hard-g out loud until recently; all the nerds I hung out with in person in the 90s said it with a soft g).
GlassHouses wrote:What's "fam"?

Short for "family", but seems to be used something like "dude" or "bro" or "mate"; a nonsexual term of endearment expressing closeness to the recipient. I have the impression that it comes from African American communities but I don't actually know and have only ever heard it on the internet, which is probably why it has connotations of "annoying kids" to me (as the internet is mostly populated by annoying kids these days, as far as I can tell).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Fungo4

Postby Fungo4 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 am UTC

"Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?"
"Blend them together with horseradish."

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 am UTC

SQL: "squeal" As in:

MS SQL: "Mice squeal"

MySQL: "My squeal"

Oracle: "Squeal like a pig"

(Yes, that's actually how I refer to them. People are either thoroughly confused, laugh riotously, or groan.)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:That anecdotal experience matches mine, GlassHouses (I hardly ever heard anyone say it with a hard-g out loud until recently; all the nerds I hung out with in person in the 90s said it with a soft g).

It's opposite to my anecdotal experience - where I never heard it said with a soft g until... probably Mike Rugnetta's discussions of the controversy. I'm assuming (though this is pure guesswork) that it's because the hard g variant has no homophones (outside of Planescape), while the soft g variant would be homophonic with both a cleaning product and a lemon product.

GlassHouses wrote:If I were a dictionary writer, I'd say that the pronunciation is jif, with gif being a variation.

If you were a dictionary writer, I'd hope that you'd research the matter more widely rather than just relying on your own clique's dialect (unless you're composing a dictionary of your own local dialect). Some spot research comes up with a lot of people discussing the controversy (which apparently hit headlines in 2013) and this page discussing an actual survey: https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphic ... y-chart-21 which shows hard-g outnumbering soft-g (with gee eye eff a strong third)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

I used to pronounce it as an initialism when I was very young (Gee Ai Eff) before I started hearing people talk about Jay-pegs and jifs and stuff, which is when I picked it up. I don't know if people around me didn't use the hard gee pronunciation or if I just didn't notice, but my family has always used the soft gee. I think the fact that people form groups that pronounce the word alike is part of what makes it so controversial. "People pronounce it like what!?" Obviously that happens to a lot of words, but in this case, people are exposed to it constantly in text and rarely in speech, which magnifies the effect of a familiar word suddenly becoming unfamiliar and strange.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am UTC

I thought IMHO was that purple haired girl in Megatokyo. With the black ribbons and... I haven't read it in several years.

Also the g in gif isn't a soft g or a hard g, but rather a firm g as in doge. ;)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 am UTC

I always just assumed the G in "doge" was the ʒ in "measure," but I never thought about the fact that other people might pronounce it way differently.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 09, 2018 5:25 pm UTC

Apparently the dogecoin people say it like that too. I always said "doh-gay", on the assumption that the word was a Japanization of "doggy", since the original meme seems very Engrish.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed May 09, 2018 7:28 pm UTC

I pronounce that as dodgy-coin in my head. I've never had cause to speak it aloud and likely never will.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm UTC

pareidolon wrote:I've always used IMO, but I guess my opinion is neither humble nor honest.

I used to use IMAO ("arrogant"), just to avoid the image of annoying false humility I associate with the standard version, but I got tired of explaining it, and just went to IMO.

Hey let's have a more interesting conversation. How do all of you pronounce GNU?

The beast: the 'g' is silent. (Or approximately so.)

The project: hard 'g'.

Eebster the Great wrote:I always just assumed the G in "doge" was the ʒ in "measure," but I never thought about the fact that other people might pronounce it way differently.

The Italian city-state rulers: "dʒ".
The canine meme: dunno how it's supposed to be pronounced, but I've always pronounced it as if it were "dough" with a hard 'g' on the end.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu May 10, 2018 1:49 am UTC

So like "Dodge" with a long O? That's what I was thinking of as the most obvious alternative pronunciation. I was probably comparing it to French-derived words like "gamboge," but really -oge doesn't come up much in English.

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Short for "family", but seems to be used something like "dude" or "bro" or "mate"; a nonsexual term of endearment expressing closeness to the recipient. I have the impression that it comes from African American communities but I don't actually know and have only ever heard it on the internet, which is probably why it has connotations of "annoying kids" to me (as the internet is mostly populated by annoying kids these days, as far as I can tell).

It is especially popular at http://reddit.com/r/the_donald - used to express closeness to the entire community.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

In my experience, people have a habit of just slapping it onto the end of sentences for no apparent reason. Not unlike what like my generation tended to do with "lol". Oddly enough, the first time I heard the word was in way back in the late '90s on an episode of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The Series, so I don't know if it just took that long to propagate or if that show was way ahead of its time.

Eebster the Great wrote:I always just assumed the G in "doge" was the ʒ in "measure," but I never thought about the fact that other people might pronounce it way differently.

That's how Strong Bad pronounced it.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri May 11, 2018 3:20 am UTC

"Fam" does come from African American vernacular and is at least a better term than "bro," I guess. I must be getting old and stodgy, because I don't like the word at all.

Actually, it looks like it has been used for much longer in London slang, but the recent trend and slight shift in meaning probably comes from AAVE. I've know it was in rap at least 15 years ago.

gcgcgcgc

Postby gcgcgcgc » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 am UTC

I thought IMHO = In My Haunted Orphanage.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 pm UTC

Back when I used to sell a few things on eBay (mostly old exercise VHS tapes, a segment of the videotape market that held out longer than the rest) I also frequented the message boards there, and kept seeing the abbreviation DH. Until it was explained to me, I was reading it as "Divorced Husband".

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm UTC

I think of DH as Designated Hitter. What were they using it for?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 11, 2018 2:46 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:I think of DH as Designated Hitter.
I originally read this as "... Designated Hitler", which might be a useful thing to have on the internet.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

Until you explicitly pointed it out that it didn't say that, I had continued to read it as if it did.

(No idea about DH. Not seeing any useful context in the scenario it's used in. VHS tapes… Drum-Harmed? Exercise videos… Durably Healthy? eBay… Don't Hesitate?)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri May 11, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
I originally read this as "... Designated Hitler", which might be a useful thing to have on the internet.

Pretty sure Designated Hitler is defined as whoever is (or is closest to becoming) the Republican PotUS.

The current DH is sort-of special since half of the other Republicans think he deserves the title, too.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 pm UTC

Wikipedia says it stands for "Dear Husband." Presumably, this is used on parts of the internet I never visit.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

I think that's a character class in the new top-down open-world-PVP MMORPG "GoatScape".

For my part, I read it as "Donkey Hat".
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 pm UTC

DH = Dear Husband, DD = Dear Daughter, DS = Dear Son. For multiple children of the same gender, you'll sometimes see DD1, DD2, etc. You'll sometimes see these defined as Darling instead of Dear.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm UTC

♫ ... when in trouble you call DW ... ♫

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 16, 2018 10:46 pm UTC

... if there's something strange in you neighborhood, who you gonna call? GB!

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:... if there's something strange in you neighborhood, who you gonna call? GB!

Is that George Bush senior or junior? Oh, and what is the number.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:... if there's something strange in you neighborhood, who you gonna call? GB!

It used to be 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Perhaps now it's Pennsylvania 6500!

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:

It used to be 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Perhaps now it's Pennsylvania 6500!

Could be. Several years ago, a relative of mine visited New York City, and when he gave me his contact information there, I saw he was staying in the Hotel Pennsylvania, and that it still has that number. (Although their web site doesn't show it any more, it shows a toll-free number instead. Progress!)

...m...

Postby ...m... » Fri May 18, 2018 1:04 pm UTC

...suck my damned horse...

suso

Postby suso » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:
GIF should be pronounced like Gift, the closest word in the English language to how it is spelled. I've never heard anyone pronounce that "jift" and I'd probably have to hurt them if they did.

If you're willing to hurt someone over the way they pronounce a word, that says a lot about you as a person. :(
Imagine theres no signatures....

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”