1994: "Repairs"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CharonPDX

1994: "Repairs"

Postby CharonPDX » Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 am UTC

Title Text: "I was just disassembling it over the course of five hours so it would fit in the trash more efficiently."

Edit: This is fixed now - IGNORE ME! Comic is up early, yet the comic appears to be cut off - it's like I'm only seeing the upper-left of it. Is this the case for everyone else? Or is that part of the joke, and it just whooshed over my head?
Last edited by CharonPDX on Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Re: 1994: "Repairs"

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 am UTC

CharonPDX wrote:Comic is up early, yet the comic appears to be cut off - it's like I'm only seeing the upper-left of it. Is this the case for everyone else? Or is that part of the joke, and it just whooshed over my head?

I'm seeing that too, and the same thing happened with SafetySat, so I think it's just an easy error in Randall's process that's been happening more than usual lately.

As in that case, appending _2x to the URL gets you a larger version of the complete image:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/repairs_2x.png
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 am UTC

repairs_2x.png

If I can't get past instructional youtube videos, there's no hope for me.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 am UTC

Thanks for the link to the full version! I'll leave the original post pointing to the "proper" link, for when he fixes it.

Okay, that's funny. I can admit to having said, out loud, "let that be a lesson to the lot of you" while looking at other electronic devices after dismantling one... And going to YouTube videos as early as 1.5 hours in? Amateur.

flamewise

Postby flamewise » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 am UTC

I hope he won't need a YouTube tutorial to fix this.

Howzers

Postby Howzers » Wed May 16, 2018 7:09 am UTC

'Randall tries to fix things and makes it worse' is an ongoing joke isn't it?

Strips 349, 1171, 1739, and 1780.

I reckon this one is self-referential.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:Comic is up early, yet the comic appears to be cut off - it's like I'm only seeing the upper-left of it. Is this the case for everyone else? Or is that part of the joke, and it just whooshed over my head?

I'm seeing that too, and the same thing happened with SafetySat, so I think it's just an easy error in Randall's process that's been happening more than usual lately.

As in that case, appending _2x to the URL gets you a larger version of the complete image:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/repairs_2x.png

Aw. I thought he was going to "repair" the comic over time and continually make it worse.
This is fine.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 am UTC

The dotted lines are just dreams and never actually happen, right?

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am UTC

I certainly hope he never becomes a surgeon. :shock:

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 am UTC

The plot also tracks "How much of the plate on the dining room table is visible under the accumulation of screws, nuts, and the hard drive caddy."

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I certainly hope he never becomes a surgeon. :shock:

Eh, let Malpractice sort that out. But would he be better or worse than his Nintendo Surgeons?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Wed May 16, 2018 12:47 pm UTC

heh. This is one of Randall's comics that absolutely applies to me, right down to threatening every other thing that I own.

:?
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

metl_lord

Postby metl_lord » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm UTC

Fix it 'til it's broke.

Then take it apart and leave the pieces around with the intention to use them for something cool.

Then throw it all out when your better half gets sick of seeing it.

GalFisk

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm UTC

metl_lord wrote:Fix it 'til it's broke.

Then take it apart and leave the pieces around with the intention to use them for something cool.

Then throw it all out when your better half gets sick of seeing it.

Pretty much.
Though I actually do use parts for something cool on occasion. Such as a potato cannon ignition from old CRT screen parts. Or an artist light table from a malfunctioning LCD screen. Or an ebike battery from the surviving cells out of lots of dead laptop batteries.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

Man, this comic so describes me right now. Trying to fix an old Fidelity Chess Challenger (talking board computer) to get it up on eBay. I'm about at hour 2 on Randall's chart, 'cept it took me close to 8 hours to get there. And there are no YouTube videos on this old machine. Parts have been scattered around my workbench for a couple weeks and wife is badgering me to move on to a project on her list.

Now ... do I cut the red wire or the blue wire?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm UTC

Those "Nobel Prize" moments are awfully satisfying when they happen, tho.

Except of course then you find there's an extra doohickey you forgot to replace, or there's some little caveat or procedural half-step you constantly need to keep in mind, but while other people might find it annoying, for you it is a constant reminder of your triumph.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:Now ... do I cut the red wire or the blue wire?

First you have to have to bicker about it with your complete opposite best friend, going back and forth between red and blue, and one of you interrupting whoever's just about to cut the wire. Then and only then do you cut one without noticing which one you cut.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm UTC

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You cut the blue wire - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You cut the red wire - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 pm UTC

For the truly obsessed (like me), the Y axis goes much further down. It involves:

buying repair parts, and breaking those too
    buying some wrong repair parts, and failing to resell those on ebay
    breaking tools
    ruining carpets and floors
    filling house with toxic smoke
    serious injury
    killing pets
    jail time
    spouse getting divorce
    spouse getting broken items and tools in settlement (this is a win)

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 pm UTC

This comic mirrors an incident I had with my vacuum cleaner just last week. My wife likes to tell me I'm not handy, and she laughs anytime I say I can fix something. Well, guess what ... 5 hours later (and it really was 5 hours later), and we don't have to buy a new vacuum!

And damned if I didn't feel like I deserved the Nobel. It was a hell of a feat. Man versus machine in a desperate race against the wife/credit card/appliance store team.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm UTC

I've got an IBM Thinkpad in better than new condition myself.
It started having problems with the power supply after a while, having to lean the plug one way to get it to run.

I took things quite slow and the worktable turned into an exploded diagram of the guts, in concentric layers.
Turned out there was a crack in the power board breaking the traces, but that was solved by jumping a wire across the gap and soldering it to the two components on either side.

The only outside reference in those days was my Dad, and he chipped in with some handy tools and parts.
He had a spare round connector that could be wired in while it was open anyways, and that ended up being put into the spot where there was an expansion/option punch-out panel.

So now, the old lappy has its original hotdog sized maximum-stupid original power plug. (Hey, lets put 10cm lever arm and maximize the mechanical advantage for more torque against the circuit boards when you plug in!)
PLUS, it now has a modern style plug on the side with a super convenient 90-degree jack.

PS:
I'm still surprised at how well the DC-DC circuitry handles things. While on the highway in the car (as a passenger), it allowed me to save my work and shut down cleanly while it was busy burning off a forgotten bit of solder in the second connector that a bump in the road had knocked across the contacts. (no battery installed at the time)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm UTC

I got my first XBOX 360 because it had RRODed out of warranty on the previous owner. Taking off the warranty void if removed sticker (and prodding the guts a bit) revived it, and it worked perfectly for about a year, before RRODing again a different way. Again, I revived it by little more than the laying on of hands. Finally, the PAL graphics chip burned out, so I passed it on to someone with an HDMI TV and acquired a replacement - which still works, so far as I know, though it's a disc-killer - if you try operating it vertically rather than horizontally, it gouges discs.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

That depends on how colour blind you are. Me I am fine (so far as I know) so you can call me up and describe the colours to me and we can go from there.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 am UTC

Where's the Gus Wilson of electronics?

http://www.gus-stories.org/gus1.htm

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am UTC

This comic makes me think of the Success comic from way earlier: https://xkcd.com/349/

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:This comic makes me think of the Success comic from way earlier: https://xkcd.com/349/

It's not labelled on the graph, but that bottom segment on the y axis is "Attacked by sharks."

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:25 am UTC

Yablo wrote:This comic mirrors an incident I had with my vacuum cleaner just last week. My wife likes to tell me I'm not handy, and she laughs anytime I say I can fix something. Well, guess what ... 5 hours later (and it really was 5 hours later), and we don't have to buy a new vacuum!

And damned if I didn't feel like I deserved the Nobel. It was a hell of a feat. Man versus machine in a desperate race against the wife/credit card/appliance store team.

How much do you make per hour at your regular job?

A friend of mine just bought an electric broom style vacuum cleaner for $25. She says it works just as well as the expensive one it replaced....

That is often my experience. I win! I fixed it! It works again! And I saved ... um ... :(

Of course it's likely your vacuum cleaner is much better than the $25 one and well worth five hours of work, and I'm just projecting my own experiences on your story. It helps, though, if you regard it as fun rather than work....

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:33 am UTC

If your work is overtime exempt though, then your yearly income is a fixed amount though and you're really not allowed to look at it that way.
But yeah, if you can work overtime and get more money then it's often cheaper to work an extra hour and earn yourself the new vacuum. My problem would be I'd make myself earn everything through overtime though and I'd never come home... I'd probably spend way more than I do now.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 am UTC

I recently did a 20 minute repair on my PC, meaning I've (probably) identified the problem and have a workaround in place. Next step would be a sub-1 hour attempt to repair by laying on of hands (open the case, remove the offending part, reinsert the offending part, close the case), then if that fails, more extreme measures - though, considering that parts of the machine are ten years old, a full replacement wouldn't be the craziest idea...

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:How much do you make per hour at your regular job?

A friend of mine just bought an electric broom style vacuum cleaner for $25. She says it works just as well as the expensive one it replaced....

That is often my experience. I win! I fixed it! It works again! And I saved ... um ... :(

Of course it's likely your vacuum cleaner is much better than the $25 one and well worth five hours of work, and I'm just projecting my own experiences on your story. It helps, though, if you regard it as fun rather than work....

Well, I'm salaried, but still overtime eligible. It works out to $33.07/hour, so 5 hours of fixing my vacuum cleaner amounts to $165.35, though this happened outside of work hours, so at my overtime rate, it's $248.03. Well under the cost of a new vacuum cleaner here, but probably a lot more than the repair would have cost me. Regardless, I fought the machine and won at least the first round. It's been working fine so far.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”