The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vicarin

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Vicarin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Madge was more active than usual D1 so she got lynched? Great.

Funny how people complain that they think they're lynching at random when we don't have a 10 page D1 :P.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:10 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
So, the list I sent in is the following:
Nice
1. LaserGuy
2. Boomfrog
5. Sabrar
7. plytho
8. bessie
10. mpolo
11. SuicideJunkie

Naughty
12. MoA
9. Mark_Cangila
3. wam

I'm going to be pessimistic and assume for the list that Madge is a mislynch. The positive thing is that I can use the number of mistakes to see if I get the number of non-town right; if it's even, I have one mistake for calling town scum and one for vice versa. There are a few hiccups that could upset my plan:

-- If there is a godfather type, it may show up as a mistake if I label them as Naughty
-- If I label someone as Nice who isn't, they may get a "present" they shouldn't have
-- I may be roleblocked by someone who finds me suspicious which may burn up one of my two uses
-- Other hidden mechanics that people more creative than I may have included
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:18 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
geez that's what i get for missing one day!!! should have checked in so i could vote defensively. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I LOVE HOW PEOPLE ARE SCUMREADING ME FOR POSTING TOO MUCH ON D1 I DON'T EVEN
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Sorry Madge! At least you get someone to talk to! Based on laser guys role. Well my claim seems to be believed so let's see what chaos I can sow.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Hi Madge, sorry about misleading you about the Vig. If you're scum you might point me to a townie, though.

Note to spectators: I have night chat with people that died since the start of the previous night. So I'm talking to Madge now. The NK and the D2 lynch next night.

Like in crossover that means I'm talking to people that don't fully trust me. At least N2 I'll probably be talking to a confirmed townie so at least I can trust them.

I think this game is going to be hard looking at the current state. The end of D1 wasn't great at all. Although a lot will depend on the roles. Wam's claim is interesting and should give us at least something. Either he lives and has data, or he dies and we might get data on him (provided we have investigative roles). A block or other messy stuff is also possible.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:59 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
The decision to not let the dead people in plytho's chats officially know his alignment was intentional. Yes, it would help with townies who would subsequently trust him more, but it would make his conversations with scum useless in my opinion. By not confirming alignment, plytho has a chance of convincing scum that he is also non-town and in that way get some important info he otherwise would not have.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:46 am UTC

Secret santa 2018

Spoiler:
If I had wam's power I think I'd pick Sabrar, BoomFrog and Bessie. Not only does that give a result on townie looking players. It also shows whether the MoA wagon has any scum on it. So it provides information on 4 players. They also contain the most dangerous scum players.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:49 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Pumped to see what happens in the next day! :D

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:55 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
Tonight is going to be interesting indeed. Apart from anything else, as things stand, there are going to be no kills! Mafia are being blocked by the Underdog's ability (well done Mark, but I'm not convinced that this helps you get towards your win condition!), and the SK is withholding. I haven't worked through everything else, yet. Meanwhile, Mark's and mpolo's abilities are getting swapped permanently, which will make for another interesting effect that confuses everybody.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:26 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
so I'm killing boom (sorry). And reflecting bessie. So anyone she targets will actually hit the opposite player in the list. And going to claim a not the same alignment on plytho Bessie laser.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:54 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
Well, well, well. Two players ended up self-targeting, one of MoA's messages appears to have vanished into the aether, and the mafia kill was blocked by an ability that is no longer in the hands of the protector! That's pretty chaotic, I reckon. I'm sad that MoA decided not to use his ability though...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

plytho

Postby plytho » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
@Madge: re: night chat: don't worry about it. It wasn't a very thankful place for you to be in. With only D1 data to discuss.

That's a lot of information for the start of D2. I have a good feeling about this.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:05 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2019 (haha nobody can read this for a year!?!??!?!?!)

Spoiler:
all good plytho, I just realised how if I had your role I'd be so excited to have a friend to chat to and then.... well, I was useless. I figured I was best to PM you as I wanted you to know I felt bad ASAP and directing a spoiler at you would have game implications.

Of course, you can't read this until you're dead, but I've already apologised for being the most useless deadchat partner you could have hoped for.

Sorry town for not coming online at the end of D1.

By the way: it's stinking hot and despite that in Australia we have tons of snowman, snowflake, etc winter imagery for christmastime, so every time I see that shit I always feel viciously jealous because I want to be freezing cold and rug up in a blanket and drink hot chocolate rather than have to walk the dog at 8:30pm because any time before that is just unpleasantly hot ugggggh.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

wam

Postby wam » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm UTC

When I lived in Aus that was always the weirdest bit of Christmas!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:03 pm UTC

Santa 2018

Spoiler:
Well, someone out there knows I got their submission. Rule 7 means they can't hint about it though, and the assumption is that the roles are NAI, so them knowing might have little effect (unless their scum). As to results, the list I sent has three errors. Folding this in with the other reports will make quite the puzzle. I am also suspecting the presence of a godfather type a bit more.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

Sandy Claws
Spoiler:
mpolo wrote:Time is crunching down on me inexorably. I still hope to get back to this today — but I have two appointments and a shopping run now. I'd need eagle eyes to pick out something to comment on in the time available to me.
I like how mpolo confirmed that he received my message. 'Eagle' was his password.

When I first read my role, I was imagining all sorts of things I do with the anonymous message ability, but then I acted too scummy and I got scared into roleclaiming on D1. Now I figure it is just useful to send the maximum messages to help figure out roleblocking and target switching and other shenanigans.

I really don't have any ideas on how to use the italics post restriction ability, and am still a bit scared about the 'curse'.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Oooh, scary thought only useful for scum; Can Madge's power be swapped since she's back at the castle rather than dead per se? That would be a terrible way to lock away the best town power.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:31 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
So Mark and MoA already claimed that they have no info about the voting shenanigans wrt wam and BoomFrog. This obviously implies that they did not submit those powers. This is in clear violation of rule 7 and should be punished heavily. #sarcasm

Isn't rule 7 just the best? I wonder how we ever managed without it...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:10 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
One of the reasons that rule 7 needs to exist is because without it, everybody will just claim what they submitted day 1 and then it becomes a case of trying to solve a logic puzzle ("whoever has the xor cop should target A and B, whoever has the doctor should target C etc) and one of the core parts of forum mafia is lost. Sabrar is focusing too much on the letter of the law and not the spirit. And then he says that certain roles are against the spirit of the game :roll:
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:54 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Ah, this game is so gloriously confusing. Good times.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 pm UTC

Secret Santa (Sabrar can read)
Spoiler:
Trust me that we have very good reasons for keeping rule 7 in place. Agree that it isn't perfect, but we believed (and still do) that it is better than the alternative. Happy to discuss this privately or publicly, as well as take any suggestions for making future games better, but after this game is over.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:34 pm UTC

Secret Santa (@dimochka)
Spoiler:
Thank you for the feedback, happy to continue this after the game.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:24 pm UTC

Late Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
Despite the team being 0 for 1, it really feels like we've got some scum nailed down. Just waiting for wam to somehow flip town tonight and destroy all of our assumptions.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Yeah, I don't know whether I'd actually call it a good game, but the way it handles time travel for 2 people in real time is amazing. And probably too long to describe in detail here, I'd recommend watching a video of someone playing it or hit me up with a PM.
Ya man I wanna know!
Evil George Washington wrote:Late Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
The best Christmas gift would be for you to play a game here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:21 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Late Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
Thanks George! Hope you had a great week!

Zenii wrote:The best Christmas gift would be for you to play a game here.
+1, QFT, dude you read my mind... :)

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
Ok, I'm not depressed any more for the reasons I was in this post.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:47 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I know the gift switcher probably can't switch Marks power but I can't justify that in thread. Hopefully the switcher switches moody instead.

If moody is lying here probably targeted... Sabrar? It's pretty darn unlikely for me to get a useful result with this power I'm realizing. N1 no possible result. N2 I have to literally guess my target's target to get a result. N3 I have 3 possible results to see, but I can't tell which is which if I do see it. N4 probably shouldn't give out more coal because this is a mess.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy a chance to replace... I'd better reread the thread a time or two, I haven't been been keeping track of all these crazy claims as much as I should have. Though SuperJedi is in the queue before me, but no idea if he'll reply to be a replacement in a reasonable time.

plytho

Postby plytho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:09 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
I don't expect MoA to use the fun bit of my submitted power tonight so hopefully it gets switched over to someone who will.

I'm trying the same trick on wam that I tried on Madge. There's a higher chance of Wam being scum so I hope he bites. He had me as towniest so if he's town he should trust me and be willing to share anyway. If he's scum, he has to pretend. If he is Boomfrog's buddy I should be able to find out.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Still not sure what the replacement situation is, guess we're waiting to see if SuperJedi responds to the mods?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:03 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
Right, let's see what the players make of last night, with two NKs. LaserGuy is very fortunate to get a kill today. He originally was going to kill Sabrar, but changed his mind. Meanwhile, bessie protected Sabrar last night. He changed his target to plytho, who Vicarin was going to protect, but changed to moody.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:11 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
@BoomFrog: so we were both wrong about the other... Sorry but this made me too paranoid. :(

I prepared this for you during the night:
BoomFrog wrote:A slight scum lean D1 is nothing to write home about. I don't see how you see inconsistency in this read. "nothing" extra scummy might be an oversimplification, but even now with his terrible reads list I won't be shocked if wam is town. wam is lynch-bait.
I have issues with you putting wam as second scummiest (and not just as second scummiest but in a scum-pile separate from the rest of the players) while claiming that wam is lynch-bait and should not be voted D1.

BoomFrog wrote:With 3 claimed cops and some kind of protective power and the gift switcher we had enough to work with to be very likely to gain a lot of info each night. You're not even trying to break the game a little.
I have already explained myself. I didn't trust that we would get 3 accurate Cop results N2 and I was right.

BoomFrog wrote:It could be from a player who is also voting normally and therefore a double vote. Having a double vote doesn't make me feel your scumhunting is worth more then others. Also an unclaimed vote has a higher chance of being scum motivated then a normal vote since it's less traceable.
1. Why do you assume it would be my double-vote specifically?
2. There are multiple reasons why a townie would want to keep his/her ability hidden. That last sentence is nonsense.

BoomFrog wrote:If wam is scum but telling the truth and there is a GF, then scum is wam, LG/Bessie/Me and one other.
Why did you include yourself when you were rolestopped?

BoomFrog wrote:As I quickly said earlier, I'm not trying to look only from math, so that's not very relevant. Including regular scum hunting in the mix my conclusions seem sound to me.
I can accept that but you have not presented it as such.

BoomFrog wrote:Why have you not at least considered the point of "Sabrar is not trying to break the game"?
You sound like a broken record.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018:
Spoiler:
In retrospect, putting in the mass cop ability in its current form without some kind of Godfather was a mistake, even with the two shot limitation, when combined with the XOR cop. Assuming moody survives tonight, he'd be best off submitting his second action, and there really will be very few places to hide. I don't think Mark as the Underdog will be enough unless SuicideJunkie dies first. If they die before Mark, then Mark has a very good chance of winning, if he has the sense to claim some kind of indie, as nobody will be able to figure out the cause of the lack of N1 kill for scum!Mark. The only question then is if LaserGuy dies before SuicideJunkie to determine which faction Mark joins.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
I think MasterofAll is giving me a little too much credit here as I did not consider that as I was submitting Sir Alan the Annoying. I figured the one less vote to lynch would be something the mod would keep track of privately instead of announcing it at the start of the day.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018
Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: I'm sad that MoA decided not to use his ability though...
Yeah, me too. :(
bessie, the greatest dog in the world wrote:Someone submitted the ventriloquist role. And that person will be a candidate for my D1 tunnel in our next game.
:twisted:

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm UTC

Sandy Claws (sorta)
Spoiler:
Last night I had a dream about this game. There were 2 modkills of town players on D3, and so we decided to no-lynch and hoped that mafia and SK would target each other. I don't think my subconscious is very good at playing mafia.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
Well, based on the fact we might be down to five players D4, I think I should be composing my second list for N3. Will decide on the exact list when the lynch is finalized.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:55 am UTC

Secret Santa:

Spoiler:
Welp, that's going to make this really interesting. Seeing as I have an incredibly good idea of what SuicideJunkie is (I'm almost certain he has mpolo's submitted role), this could make the game end almost immediately one way or the other...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
Self hammer, been a while since we've seen one of those. Always heard it was a possibility. To answer SJ's question, I checked with jimbob at the start of the day about underline voting and any promised "punishments", and he gave the thumbs up. List final decision will be in the morning after jimbob or dimochka have officially called night.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 am UTC

Secret Santa 2018

Spoiler:
Nice one scum. Hammering to end the day's discussion early. Or was it to ensure Sabrar ended the day without the lowest post count and deprive him of his night action?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P

Return to “Mafia”