Reversi Mini: Losing is Winning (Complete)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SuicideJunkie

Reversi Mini: Losing is Winning (Complete)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 am UTC

Reversi Mini
  • Mod: SuicideJunkie
  • Duration: 5 days / 0-1 nights
  • Bastardry: Just one Big One + twerked powers for balance.

Countdown Timers & Links
(Confirms)
Day 1
Day 2

Standard/Semi-standard Rules:
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make the mods aware. If replacements cannot be found, modkills will be handed out without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
10. You must play to achieve your current win* condition. *Personal win condition is opposite to normal!
11. Please make an effort to include the mods on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are preferred but not required. If I miss something, let us know.
13. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night as soon as the mod posts a day-end post, or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
14. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends and holidays. If you are going to be away for an extended period, please let us know. Otherwise, you will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity.
15. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.

Game Specific Rules (IMPORTANT: Please Read):
  1. In the event of a tied vote (including zero total votes), the tiebreaker vote will be cast by the Mafia faction as a night action, and resolves before all other night actions are started. "No Lynch" votes are not allowed and will be ignored.
    Needless to say, this situation is highly dangerous for town.
  2. Please send your night action via PM. Night will end once all actions are in.
  3. You may send your night action early with conditionals based on the vote results to help speed up the game.
  4. Roles and alignments have been randomly assigned via die rolls.
  5. MYLO / LYLO will not be announced. Determining what MYLO/LYLO even means in Reversi is left as an exercise for the reader.

Faction win conditions:
  • Town wins when all classical threats are eliminated and at least one member of Town is still alive.
  • Mafia wins when the Mafia faction controls the lynch vote. (50%+0)
  • Cult wins when the Cult controls the lynch vote. (50%+0 unless Mafia has 50%)
  • Independents have their independent win conditions.

REVERSI Special Wins
  • If your role PM indicates you are TOWN, then you must ensure the Town faction does not win in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are MAFIA, then you must ensure the Mafia faction is eliminated (including yourself) in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are CULT, then you must ensure the Cult is eliminated (including yourself) in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are a SURVIVOR, then you must get yourself killed (ie: be lynched or NKed) in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are a JESTER, then you must not be lynched (ie: survive or be NKed) in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are an UNDERDOG, then you must be eliminated before any other factions lose in order to personally win.
  • If your role PM indicates you are a TRAITOR, then you must ensure your faction wins in order to personally win.
  • Personally relevant Faction vs Personal win conditions will be explained in the role PM.

Mostly-closed Setup:
  • Most of the win condition bullet points above are not applicable to this particular game, but may be used for reference in future games or for wine in this game.
  • Counterproductive powers exist.
  • There are no spoiler-reading powers, night chat, or other effects beyond the thread in this game.
  • Roles for eliminated players will be revealed at the start of the next day.

Sample Town Role PM:
Spoiler:
You are a Town Drunkard

Night effect:
You may scribble a message on the town hall wall which will be anonymously revealed at the start of day.
You must be the last player to post at the start of each day.

Win condition:
As a member of Town, you must ensure Town loses.
This means eliminating members of the Town (including yourself), without eliminating the Mafia.

Players:
  1. Wam
  2. somitomi
  3. Peaceful Whale
  4. Freezeblade
  5. jimbobmacdoodle
Last edited by SuicideJunkie on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:14 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.

SuicideJunkie

Re: Reversi Mini: Losing is Winning (pre-game show)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:41 am UTC

PMs are out. Confirm as you will.

The Town Hall of Meaford was bustling with activity; all six* residents were in attendance, and dramatic events were unfolding.
"This Town Ain't Big Enough For Even One Of Us!" was declared.
"Who confirms this with an 'Aye'?"

*Just flavour; there are only 5 actual players, as listed.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am UTC

Aye!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:58 am UTC

Aye!
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

wam

Postby wam » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm UTC

Aye
Come join us playing mafia signup here

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:25 am UTC

Aye!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 pm UTC

Aye! Aye! Aye!
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

SuicideJunkie

Re: Reversi Mini: Losing is Winning (Day 1)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 pm UTC

Countdown for Day 1

"Aye!" shouted everyone with varying degrees of enthusiasm, and the resolution was passed unanimously.

"Well, with that settled, I trust there is no other business to attend to?" asked SuicideJunkie.
After eyeing everyone else, and getting only shakes of the head, he quickly rushed to the door. "Dibs on the working truck!"

With the unofficial ex-Mayor departing in a cloud of dust into the sunset, the remaining five pondered the situation.
Everyone would have to work together to jury-rig some form of transportation out, and none of them wanted to be left behind in a town not even big enough for One.

Day 1 has Begun.
With five players remaining, it takes three votes to hammer.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:52 pm UTC

Vote: Peaceful Whale
Obvious town enthusiasm is obvious.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

I have no idea how this game is supposed to work. Suffice to say that early everybody should vote me, and somitomi must be scum for not doing it or voting hismelf.

Vote jimbobmacdoodle

In all seriousness, I don't think things change much during the day from a normal game, except that the people we should vote for are town reads rather than scum reads. Also, we should seriously consider hammering to stop scum tying the lynch that they are involved in at the last moment.

What do people think about a mass claim D1?

I suspect a fairly standard PR heavy (but not necessarily 100% PR) setup. However, I've never played in a 5 player game before, so I don't have a good feel for numbers. 3-2 sounds possible, but I haven't worked through fully whether that actually makes sense. I have some more thoughts on this but I think revealing them potentially helps scum.

4-1 sounds too scum-favoured, because it only requires one correct lynch for town to lose. 3-1-1 is possible I guess.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 pm UTC

*insert tumbleweed animation here*

I know freezeblade doesn't play on weekends, but where is everyone else?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:*insert tumbleweed animation here*

I know freezeblade doesn't play on weekends, but where is everyone else?

Busy weekend here now! Trying to get my head in the game.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm UTC

I'm still alive, though I wasn't feeling like it on Sunday and had to stay home today.

Votals
  • Peaceful Whale (1)
    • Somitomi
  • jimbobmacdoodle (1)
    • jimbobmacdoodle

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 pm UTC

Correct about me on weekends. It's monday now though, so here I am!

I'm still not sure how power roles effect the lynch order, seems lynching members of your own team is most important, beginning with the most vanilla.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I'm still not sure how power roles effect the lynch order, seems lynching members of your own team is most important, beginning with the most vanilla.
Agreed on lynching own team members. However, the rules post states counter-productive roles exist.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 pm UTC

Well, with the goal change of wanting your own team dead, I'm pretty sure most "standard" power roles will be pretty counter productive.

I really don't see much downside in claiming my role. I'm a miller, and will appear as mafia if investigated by a cop (if we have one). Although my presence as a miller implies that we have a cop.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 am UTC

Request mod prod on somitomi and Peaceful Whale.

It's weird not having multiple talkative people to speak with. You'd expect wan at least to be one of those though...

@freezeblade, I'm happy with your claim (though I could see scum having fake claims). I'm not going to claim mine for now, although if there's a consensus to mass claim, I'm not necessarily opposed to it. What are your thoughts on that? Also, do you have any setup thoughts?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:18 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: somitomi must be scum for not doing it or voting hismelf.

I'm curious what (hypothetical) scum!me would gain by voting someone other than himself?
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:4-1 sounds too scum-favoured, because it only requires one correct lynch for town to lose. 3-1-1 is possible I guess.

At the same time, town only needs to reveal the one mafia to win, since I'm guessing the mafia can't self-target with a kill.
freezeblade wrote:Well, with the goal change of wanting your own team dead, I'm pretty sure most "standard" power roles will be pretty counter productive.

Not necessarily, a cop finding mafia or a roleblocker stopping whatever hijinks they can do is still useful. As for something like a doctor, the goal this time is to protect mafia from kills.
freezeblade wrote:I really don't see much downside in claiming my role. I'm a miller, and will appear as mafia if investigated by a cop (if we have one). Although my presence as a miller implies that we have a cop.

Hmmm, maybe you shouldn't have shared that last bit with mafia, but the cat's out of the bag now. Otherwise I'm okay with this claim as well, but I'll have to think more about a mass claim.
SuicideJunkie wrote:[*]MYLO / LYLO will not be announced. Determining what MYLO/LYLO even means in Reversi is left as an exercise for the reader.

Let's get some discussion going: What do you think MYLO/LYLO is in this game?

Unvote
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: somitomi must be scum for not doing it or voting hismelf.

I'm curious what (hypothetical) scum!me would gain by voting someone other than himself?
To be clear, this was a fake reason to justify a random vote. However, one reason would be to try to get your buddy lynched.
somitomi wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:4-1 sounds too scum-favoured, because it only requires one correct lynch for town to lose. 3-1-1 is possible I guess.

At the same time, town only needs to reveal the one mafia to win, since I'm guessing the mafia can't self-target with a kill.
I agree it's unlikely Mafia can self-target with a kill (though it's not impossible if there's a doctor around, I guess). Revealing a lone Mafia will be tricky unless a cop gets lucky, but you're right, it's very swingy.
somitomi wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Well, with the goal change of wanting your own team dead, I'm pretty sure most "standard" power roles will be pretty counter productive.

Not necessarily, a cop finding mafia or a roleblocker stopping whatever hijinks they can do is still useful. As for something like a doctor, the goal this time is to protect mafia from kills.
What would a doctor gain by using their ability?
somitomi wrote:
freezeblade wrote:I really don't see much downside in claiming my role. I'm a miller, and will appear as mafia if investigated by a cop (if we have one). Although my presence as a miller implies that we have a cop.

Hmmm, maybe you shouldn't have shared that last bit with mafia, but the cat's out of the bag now. Otherwise I'm okay with this claim as well, but I'll have to think more about a mass claim.
Pretty sure that any self-respecting Mafia player could figure out the implication here of freezeblade's miller claim. Under what situation do you think that scum wouldn't work this out?
somitomi wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:[*]MYLO / LYLO will not be announced. Determining what MYLO/LYLO even means in Reversi is left as an exercise for the reader.

Let's get some discussion going: What do you think MYLO/LYLO is in this game?

Unvote
I did ask a few questions earlier, so I thought I was already trying to get the discussion going, but okay. I don't think MYLO/LYLO is significantly different than normal, except that the winning team is reversed (i.e. LYLO implies a town victory if a townie is lynched). However, this assumes a standard vanilla 2-team setup, which this isn't. Protective roles or multiple kills can completely mess this up.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:55 pm UTC

Well I cant speak for wan but I have been stupidly just :lol: .

Was umming and aching but going to claim I'm the cop. Which seems a bit pointless to me as there is no reason for me to be truthful about my results. Will help me from a selfish strategy perspective.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale hasn't been online on the forum since Saturday, but has a poke in the inbox.

Votals
  • jimbobmacdoodle (1)
    • jimbobmacdoodle

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:46 pm UTC

wam wrote:Well I cant speak for wan but I have been stupidly just :lol: .

Was umming and aching but going to claim I'm the cop. Which seems a bit pointless to me as there is no reason for me to be truthful about my results. Will help me from a selfish strategy perspective.
Um... why is there no benefit to being truthful?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 pm UTC

Hmm that is a good point. I need to think the options through. Basically went in my head we cant lynch mafia I find...

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:To be clear, this was a fake reason to justify a random vote. However, one reason would be to try to get your buddy lynched.

So you called me scum to justify a vote on yourself... wait, that makes actual sense in this game. Carry on, then.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Pretty sure that any self-respecting Mafia player could figure out the implication here of freezeblade's miller claim. Under what situation do you think that scum wouldn't work this out?

Sure, but why do their homework for them :wink:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:What would a doctor gain by using their ability?

Well, they could stop mafia from killing their buddy during the night. It's pretty much the same idea as a normal game so I'm surprised to see you ask this question.
wam wrote:Well I cant speak for wan but I have been stupidly just :lol: .

While not exactly the same thing, I can see some benefit to not being truthful about the result. I don't see how there's no reason to be truthful though and the difference does matter.

Heads up: I'll be on Holiday from thursday to monday. I'm going to follow the game from phone as much as possible, but there might be more typos and shorter posts.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:20 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

somitomi wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:What would a doctor gain by using their ability?

Well, they could stop mafia from killing their buddy during the night. It's pretty much the same idea as a normal game so I'm surprised to see you ask this question.
[/quote]I was fishing at your apparent inconsistency here. If the Mafia can't self-target, then the doctor is pointless. However, I realise now that we may have different interpretations of self-target. I was thinking self-target implies not being able to target their buddy either, where I'm guessing you mean that a mafia member can't target themselves individually.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 am UTC

*Looks around suspiciously at all the lurkers*

You're all scum, aren't you?

Town
Jimbob
Freezeblade
Wam
Somitomi
Scum

Needs replacing: Peaceful Whale

Content wise (or lack thereof) I think wam is more suspicious than somitomi, but his cop claim does nicely line up with freezeblade's miller claim. This is mitigated somewhat by my feeling that safe claims are likely.

All: who is town? Who is scum?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm UTC

The citizens started becoming concerned when Peaceful Whale vanished after the Town Hall meeting.
Wam claimed to have "the keenenst powers of observation" and volunteered to take a look around town, but it may have just been an excuse for taking a break from the blacksmithing work.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm UTC

"To shreds, you say?"
"That moose must have smelled Peaceful Whale's excitement on the wind... there were Timbits and maple syrup everywhere."
"Too bad we'll never hear their opinion on town politics, but on the upside; at least that gives us better odds in the vote!"

Peaceful Whale has been modkilled for a personal loss.
This role will be not revealed until the end of the game.

With 4 remaining it is still 3 to hammer.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 pm UTC

Well I guess that rules out a 4-1 setup with Peaceful Whale as the 1...

Apparently games without Sabrar, BoomFrog, LaserGuy, bessie or plytho go stale (also probably others...). Should I start speaking Klingon or something to stir things up?

Let's see some opinions people!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:25 am UTC

Only about 18 hours left to vote!
The weekend comes early this week.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:25 am UTC

Ok opinions.

I think jimbob is my strongest (only) town read

vote:jimbob

Everyone else is null.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 am UTC

Thanks wam. I'm happy to talk more, but one of the others should hammer at some point, to stop shenanigans, especially if there might be two scum left.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:There are no spoiler-reading powers, night chat, or other effects beyond the thread in this game.
To clarify: is this saying that any theoretical mafia/cult/masons etc cannot chat at night with each other, or that there are no powers that can read somebody else's night chat?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
SuicideJunkie wrote:There are no spoiler-reading powers, night chat, or other effects beyond the thread in this game.
To clarify: is this saying that any theoretical mafia/cult/masons etc cannot chat at night with each other, or that there are no powers that can read somebody else's night chat?

Both. Ideally we can blast through the night orders and get on to the new day quickly.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:42 pm UTC

Gods, I hate D1.

Uhhhh. shall I hammer? I have nothing against a jimbob lynch, his content has been pretty townie-feeling.

For the firs time in a while, I don't have to worry about night actions or night chat! (I'm not mafia for once, and my only "power" is miller).

Bring on D2 says I!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:42 pm UTC

Fuck it.

vote: jimbob

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 pm UTC

After a day of hard work, scavenging the houses for good cloth and the basements for alcohol to fuel it, a makeshift hot air balloon rose over the town of Meaford.
By consensus, Jimbob was chosen to board the craft, and he slowly rose off into the sky on an easterly wind. With any luck, he'd drift all the way to Toronto and make his fortune.

Day 1 is ended, Jimbobmacdoodle has been lynched.
Submit your night actions if you have not done so already.

SuicideJunkie

Re: Reversi Mini: Losing is Winning (Day 2)

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 pm UTC

As dawn breaks, everyone is still present and accounted for, and the townfolk struggle to make breakfast with the dwindling supplies. The general agreement is that they made the right choice, but they'll have to work even harder today.

With the long weekend arriving, deadline will be Thursday again.
Day 2 has started.
With 3 players remaining, it takes 2 to hammer.

Jimbobmacdoodle eventually arrived in Toronto, and started up a highly successful clinic. He greatly enjoyed the shorter hours, far better pay, and the chance to talk with his patients while also having interesting places to go and things to do in the evenings.
Role:
Spoiler:
You are an Overworked Doctor. You are a member of the Town.

Night Effect:
Each night, choose two of the remaining players to protect from Night Kills. You are far too busy to get feedback from your patients on your effectiveness. Doctoring is Obligatory but you may self-target for one of the choices.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:38 pm UTC

Well, there's the doctor. I I don't have much of a read on anyone else, but there's one person that I know is town, myself. Sooooo

On second though, before I vote for myself, I read the rules again to make sure it isn't against them, and found this:
Faction Win Condition wrote:Faction win conditions:
Town wins when all classical threats are eliminated and at least one member of Town is still alive.

Mod is this correct? Was this a holdover from the standard rules set?

By my reading that means we need to get rid of Mafia first? To be clear, that's not now my role PM makes it seem the winning conditions process, which is essentially opposite.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm UTC

The Town wins under those conditions. But since this is Reversi, the town players would lose if the Town faction wins.

Return to “Mafia”