2172: "Lunar Cycles"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mschmitt

2172: "Lunar Cycles"

Postby mschmitt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:45 pm UTC

Title text: "The Antikythera mechanism had a whole set of gears specifically to track the cyclic popularity of skinny jeans and low-rise waists."

What is the cycle for when the Moon is scary bright?

jgh

Re: 2172: "Lunar Cycles"

Postby jgh » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:57 pm UTC

Reminds me of when every computer came with a Biorythms demo program.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:40 pm UTC

jgh wrote:Reminds me of when every computer came with a Biorythms demo program.

Yeah, they were everywhere for a while, weren't they? I wonder why that was. Did anyone ever actually believe in biorhythms, like some people believe in astrology, or was it simply because this was something that was brain-dead simple to program on even the most basic devices?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:41 pm UTC

In my country, "Pork Moon" is called "ham".

gcgcgcgc

Postby gcgcgcgc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 am UTC

I believe the usual cycle is

Supermoon - > Hypermoon - > Ultramoon - > Adolescence -> Self-replication into many smaller moons, some of which will detach from the gravitational field of their host planet and search for a new host.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:58 pm UTC

Pork Moon: The only time when spending billions of dollars on the Space Launch System to get to the Moon, instead of using the much cheaper Falcon Heavy or waiting for the BFR, makes sense to anyone except congresspeople. :mrgreen:

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:48 pm UTC

Falcon Heavy only lifts 64 tonnes to LEO. A crewed lunar landing would require a full launch for the Artemis lander, one for the trans-lunar injection stage, plus a launch for the Orion or lunar-capable Crew Dragon with extra Service Module fuel.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm UTC

The title of this comic made me wonder about the design of a lunar cycle, i.e. a bicycle designed for use on the Moon. So far I've thought of the following:

- Weight would be less of an issue than on Earth (I'm ignoring the problem of getting it to the Moon in the first place).
- The absence of air would mean that higher speeds were possible (assuming a good cycling track had been installed) so higher gear ratios might be needed.
- On the other hand, you'd be riding the damned thing while wearing a space suit, which might limit your performance.
- Conversely, the low-gears might not be needed as cycling uphill would be much easier. With terrestrial gears, you could cycle up much steeper hills, but there would be the problem of stability (not falling off backwards) and of getting enough grip (not slipping down backwards).
- One difficulty might be keeping the front wheel on the ground (even on the level), since the "thrust" from the back wheel would be similar but the weight would be one sixth, so there might be a tendency to unplanned wheelies. A longer wheelbase or more weight up front might be needed. Perhaps even a front-wheel drive arrangement would be necessary.
- The handling would be different - the rider would have longer to make the micro-corrections needed to keep upright against the weaker gravity. Would this make it easier to learn?
- Conversely, cornering would require bigger movements - more lean would be required to develop enough moment to counter the centrifugal force at a given speed and curve radius.
- I can't work out whether inducing the lean would be harder or not - I know you have to steer momentarily the "wrong way" to get the bike to lean, but I'm not sure how much of a role gravity plays in this process or whether it's pure kinematics.
- I guess you'd need to do something to increase the tyres' grip since the force between tyres and ground would be less.

(I'm sure somebody has worked this all out already, but it's more fun trying to think it through from first principles than just googling it).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:32 pm UTC

Tyres should also be silicone instead of rubber, since vulcanized rubber does not handle vacuum or temperature extremes sufficiently well for the lunar environment.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:54 am UTC

Your lunar cycle will also need to deal with the dreaded moon dust. It's much grittier than earth dust, since it hasn't been eroded by processes that polish off the pointy bits. It contains very fine particles, so it gets everywhere, and due to the lack of water it's chemically harsher than typical earth dusts.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am UTC

mschmitt wrote: scary bright

Ooh thanks for that. I've read the "Inconstant Moon" story many years ago and had forgotten what it was called (and who it was by!)
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Your lunar cycle will also need to deal with the dreaded moon dust. It's much grittier than earth dust, since it hasn't been eroded by processes that polish off the pointy bits. It contains very fine particles, so it gets everywhere, and due to the lack of water it's chemically harsher than typical earth dusts.

A good point—this means that the gearing and chains will need to be in an enclosed housing as well to protect them.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:13 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Perhaps even a front-wheel drive arrangement would be necessary.

Front-wheel drive is not a good idea, even more so on the moon; it will tend to slip easily. The same forces that cause the spontaneous wheelies also increase the grip on the rear wheel. Front-wheel drive on a bicycle will be as efficient as its rear break i.e. not much.
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:
orthogon wrote:Perhaps even a front-wheel drive arrangement would be necessary.

Front-wheel drive is not a good idea, even more so on the moon; it will tend to slip easily. The same forces that cause the spontaneous wheelies also increase the grip on the rear wheel. Front-wheel drive on a bicycle will be as efficient as its rear break i.e. not much.

My bicycle has only a rear brake. I'm not going to claim that that arrangement is optimal, but I seem to be able to navigate traffic with it, at least without crashing into things on a regular basis, and so do millions of other people -- I believe the rear-wheel backpedal-brake setup is still popular, at least in the Netherlands, for being reliable and low-maintenance. And apparently effective enough for use in normal traffic.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 am UTC

Rear wheel brakes won't stop you as fast, but also won't suplex you into the pavement if you push too hard.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 am UTC

I once braked so hard on my old one-speed that I somehow bent the front wheel in a 90 degree angle. I don't pretend to understand how the physics behind that worked. Could have had something to do with cornering at the same time.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:Rear wheel brakes won't stop you as fast, but also won't suplex you into the pavement if you push too hard.

A bicycle with only a rear brake (not the pedal type, the hand type) is how I broke my first bone. I’m confident that it wouldn’t be happened had both wheels had brakes: I broke hard and it caused the front of the bike to fishtail, so I fell off.

Admittedly, I was going down a very long, steep hill beforehand, so I had a lot of speed. But I still think having both brakes would’ve prevented that.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 pm UTC

For caliper hand brakes, the front is typically much more effective than the rear. Coming down a hill at top speed, I needed to brake hard to avoid a car pulling out. I ended up balanced on just the front wheel, between flipping over and not flipping over.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm UTC

Put the bike inside a rugged air-tight big hamster ball.

measure

Postby measure » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:14 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:Put the bike inside a rugged air-tight big hamster ball.

Put anything inside a rugged air-tight big hamster ball.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”