Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Brooks » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Several threads in here about words you love, pretty words, and so on. But how about annoying, ugly, and awkward words?

Me, I hate "irrespective." Ugly word. "Regardless" is pretty much always a better choice, being stronger, prettier, and more clear. Of course, that leads some cretins to "irregardless" which is even worse than "irrespective," and merits a swift kick.
User avatar
Brooks
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:16 am UTC
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Annoying words

Postby wisnij » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Apparently some people have trouble with "moist". I think it's a funny word.

I never really liked "epitome", mainly because I have to remind myself how it's pronounced each time I see it.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.
User avatar
wisnij
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm UTC
Location: a planet called Erp

Re: Annoying words

Postby AKADriver » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

"Basically" and its synonyms... because I feel that I use them too much. I can correct for it when I write it, but when I speak expositorily, it seems like every other word out of my mouth is "basically" or "essentially." There are better ways to indicate that what I'm about to say is central to my argument, but they never seem to come to mind when I'm speaking.

"Online" or "on-line" is a word I personally never use, unless I'm describing an inanimate object that has been powered on. For some reason, maybe it's Internet-old-timer elitism, It sounds awkward to hear people describe themselves as being "online." It sounds just plain wrong when people use it as an adverb: "I found it online." I think current dictionaries accept both definitions, but they still bother me. "Offline" seems to be gaining use as an adverb, too, in this case meaning "when you have free time, outside of this context."
AKADriver
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 pm UTC
Location: McLean, VA

Re: Annoying words

Postby Number3Pencils » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 am UTC

"Droll" has to be the worst possible word for a synonym of "funny".
Image
Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:27 am UTC
Location: Beyond reason, then take a left

Re: Annoying words

Postby lowbart » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:51 am UTC

Really? Is that what it's supposed to mean? I always thought (never having looked it up or anything) that it meant dull or boring or nyurrrr.

Maybe that just makes your point even more.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?
User avatar
lowbart
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA

Re: Annoying words

Postby IronyandParadox » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:18 am UTC

lowbart wrote:Really? Is that what it's supposed to mean? I always thought (never having looked it up or anything) that it meant dull or boring or nyurrrr.

Maybe that just makes your point even more.
It sounds like it should mean dull.

I've never been a fan of the word "thus." Using it makes you sound like a pompous ass.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.
User avatar
IronyandParadox
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:04 am UTC
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.

Re: Annoying words

Postby Ari » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:19 am UTC

Haha, this thread is full of win, although it reminds me of how annoying my formal language is ;)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."
User avatar
Ari
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Annoying words

Postby stockpot » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 am UTC

I don't think "dusk" is pretty enough for the idea it represents, but I wouldn't call it ugly by any means.
Ugly words: hospital, pork, ogle
User avatar
stockpot
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: Annoying words

Postby kerohazel » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:16 am UTC

I'd just like to add that I think "cellar door" is the ugliest phrase in the English language.
kerohazel
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words

Postby Kewangji » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

I don't like the words that are pronounced 'too'. I avoid them subconsciously.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:


Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
 
Posts: 2079
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation

Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Lumpy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

Bling
Emo
Poot
Tween (what, that passes Firefox's spellcheck, but "undead" doesn't?)
"Snappy and responsive" (I've hated this and all variations ever since seeing it overused in a satire about upgrading from Vista to Windows)

Have you got any?
User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

synergize
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
 
Posts: 8341
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

Chum.

It makes me feel like I'm chewing on dog food.
Image
User avatar
Ian Ex Machina
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Around Cambridge (UK)

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

I'm TL;DR this (hope I did that right) and saying the phrase I hate the most is
"K are you Sure" I hate it. the first time I get asked and the millionith
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...
User avatar
El Senor Fruit Swing
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby microwaved » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Sheeple

Whenever used, it just permeates a certain smugness, and 9 times out of ten can be replaced with the words, "people who don't think, walk, talk, and act just like me"
User avatar
microwaved
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:17 am UTC
Location: NE OH

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby hendusoone » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

I know a lot of people who hate "moist." I don't see what bugs them so much about it!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
User avatar
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Spaceship

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

enterprise
guesstimate
metrosexual

to name a few.

then again i have a reason for hating them. oh well :?
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet
User avatar
segmentation fault
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm UTC
Location: Nu Jersey

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Solt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

hella
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris
User avatar
Solt
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby mandalynn » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

"Chillax" makes me want to stab people.
I also can't stand the word "sexy," and I have no idea why.
User avatar
mandalynn
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:11 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Daigerus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:22 am UTC

Shmexy.

Is that even a real word? It's like the seventh cousin of "sexy", 5 times removed.
User avatar
Daigerus
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:03 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby wisnij » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:27 am UTC

"Sammich" as a cutesy alternative to "sandwich". Arrgh, just typing it makes me angry. :x
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.
User avatar
wisnij
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm UTC
Location: a planet called Erp

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby AKADriver » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

wisnij wrote:"Sammich" as a cutesy alternative to "sandwich". Arrgh, just typing it makes me angry. :x


That has since been replaced by the even cutesier "sammy," which is so much worse.
AKADriver
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 pm UTC
Location: McLean, VA

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

I have a problem with portmanteaux where the words involved are synonyms or close to it. Someone already said "guesstimate", so I'll add the only other one I can think of: "automagically".
User avatar
Cosmologicon
 
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:47 am UTC
Location: Cambridge MA USA

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Hephesus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Not so much hate for the word itself as much as its misuse: Literally.

People use literally when they, if fact, mean the opposite.
User avatar
Hephesus
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby synaesthetist » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

i'm also female and not a fan of the word moist. i'd never really known another person who hated that word as much as i did until a friend from college mentioned that it made her want to gag. i'd love to learn more about why women hate that word so much.

i think it's interesting that i can't stand "manifest" by itself. but i'd always liked the term "manifest destiny." it changes the whole tone of the word for me.
User avatar
synaesthetist
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Ari » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

metrosexual


That word should die in a fire, and the ashes should be used to choke whoever invented it. ;)

synaesthetist wrote:i'm also female and not a fan of the word moist. i'd never really known another person who hated that word as much as i did until a friend from college mentioned that it made her want to gag. i'd love to learn more about why women hate that word so much.


Mmm, I've definitely heard of men who don't like the word, too. I've also heard of people who love it, but that's probably because they feel it's about the dirtiest word in the English language.
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."
User avatar
Ari
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Hephesus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:guesstimate


Guesstimate bothers me to no end and on many levels... I wish I could stab people who say. Unfortunately that would be 80% of the work force.
User avatar
Hephesus
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 am UTC

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby Ari » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

Hephesus wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:guesstimate


Guesstimate bothers me to no end and on many levels... I wish I could stab people who say. Unfortunately that would be 80% of the work force.


Except estimation has a very distinct connotation from guessing, even though their essential meaning is the same. Estimation usually refers to an informed guess, perhaps from a subject expert. Guessing is usually an uninformed estimation from a layperson. Thus, guesstimating is a useful between-word to imply a quick estimation, or more studied guess, possibly from a generalist in an area, or from an expert who hasn't yet had time to properly research relevant factors or calculate as much as is necessary.

Guesstimate is to estimate and guess as "common knowledge" is to science and idiocy ;)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."
User avatar
Ari
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby mandalynn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

synaesthetist wrote:i think it's interesting that i can't stand "manifest" by itself. but i'd always liked the term "manifest destiny." it changes the whole tone of the word for me.

*gasp* Me too!!!!
User avatar
mandalynn
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:11 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Owehn » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

mandalynn wrote:
synaesthetist wrote:i think it's interesting that i can't stand "manifest" by itself. but i'd always liked the term "manifest destiny." it changes the whole tone of the word for me.

*gasp* Me too!!!!

I'm sort of the opposite: I like the word "manifold", but I don't care for differential geometry.
[This space intentionally left blank.]
User avatar
Owehn
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:49 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Jobo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:08 am UTC

I don't like chocolate. I like the candy well enough, but the word itself sounds like something you would say if your mouth were full of chocolate and you tried to talk anyway. And that's gross, I hate when people talk with their mouths full.
Jobo
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:26 am UTC

Re: Words and phrases you hate for no particular reason

Postby stockpot » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Ari wrote:Guesstimate is to estimate and guess as "common knowledge" is to science and idiocy ;)
The word guesstimate is like BBC science reporting?

I'm no fan of it's usage, but I think "metrosexual" sounds quite nice phonetically.
User avatar
stockpot
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

Kiss.

I hate it and all its derivatives. It's an awful word, I hate saying it, I hate writing it, I hate how it's spelt, I hate the way the mouth moves when you say it, I REALLY hate this word. I don't hate the action it describes but the word is absolutely awful. It's an evil word and we should burn it with fire from all dictionaries and replace with a better word like kella. You can give someone a kella. They can kella you. He kella'd her. It's better than that word. ANYTHING is better than that word.


On a different note, I quite like the word moist. It makes me think of cake =)
Image
User avatar
thecommabandit
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Annoying words

Postby Julie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

Number3Pencils wrote:"Droll" has to be the worst possible word for a synonym of "funny".

Droll comes from drôle, which is French for funny.

I hate the word ignorant, just because people don't seem to be able to use it properly in a sentence. Mostly, I hear ghetto girls using it and it drives me insane. I am not ignorant of your (slutty) lifestyle, I don't approve of it!

I also hate the following words/phrases...
-bling
-Heighth (it's just... awkward! Say height.)
-Adults over 21
-Weapons of mass destruction
-Almost all "Basically Decent" terms
-The phrase "mental math"
User avatar
Julie
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Brooks » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:05 am UTC

microwaved wrote:Sheeple

Whenever used, it just permeates a certain smugness, and 9 times out of ten can be replaced with the words, "people who don't think, walk, talk, and act just like me"


Argh, yeah, that one drives me insane. It manages to be condescending, sophomoric, arrogant, ad hominem, cute-in-the-worst-way, and aesthetically unpleasing. Ouch.

You know what else I hate? Fatuous. First, because it should mean "fat", and second because of that awkward uou. It looks like an anagram more than a word. And even though it is a word, people either misuse it (to mean fat) or pull that annoying "look at me and my masterful command of language" face every time they use it. It's like they don't realize that by using the word they are describing themselves.
User avatar
Brooks
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:16 am UTC
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Number3Pencils » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:37 am UTC

Has anyone else encountered and loathed the word "beast" as an adjective to mean "cool"?
Image
Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:27 am UTC
Location: Beyond reason, then take a left

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby stockpot » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:08 am UTC

I've never heard it, but maybe it's a shortening of "beastly?" The noun "beast" in its slang form means "someone very strong or pain-tolerant in a very awesome way" but it's adjectivized form isn't quite as specific, and could easily be reinterpreted to mean just "awesome."

I don't like how the word slang sounds (when pronounced with a west coast american accent).
User avatar
stockpot
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Nimz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Brooks wrote:
microwaved wrote:Sheeple

Whenever used, it just permeates a certain smugness, and 9 times out of ten can be replaced with the words, "people who don't think, walk, talk, and act just like me"


Argh, yeah, that one drives me insane. It manages to be condescending, sophomoric, arrogant, ad hominem, cute-in-the-worst-way, and aesthetically unpleasing. Ouch.


The other one time out of ten it can probably be replaced with the words, "people who don't think, walk, talk, or act, just like me." The main difference, of course, is the extra comma.

I don't really care for anything 'lolcat-ese' (for lack of a better word) with the rare exception of some lolcat satire. Even the word lolcat doesn't feel right. Errm, I mean, get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers! [/obligatory]
LOWA
User avatar
Nimz
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Kabann » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

Corporate buzzwords make me twitch, and not in the good way. When did people start throwing the word 'metrics' around like it was on sale?

Don't get me started on 'blogsphere.' As if 'blog' wasn't bad enough.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.
User avatar
Kabann
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:33 am UTC
Location: 30.5254XX / -97.8344XX

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Ari » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

How are either metrics or blogosphere corporate buzzwords?
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."
User avatar
Ari
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Next

Return to Language/Linguistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests