My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Which era was the best?

red/blue/yellow
41%
gold/silver/crystal
32%
ruby/sapphire/emerald/leafgreen/firered
9%
Diamond/pearl
7%
Otter/Duck
11%

Total votes : 351

My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby Stief » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

This will probably be host to most of the forum posting "Sorry, I'm not into Pokemon" as it is now somehow written into the XKCD Fora's genetic code...

I found my old copy of Blue and started a new game today :D

Just wondering if any of you remember the good old days before there were 400+ pokemon clogging up the new hi-tech phone/radio/Pokedex/Bike/Spaceship etc. :P

Silver, Gold & Crystal were ok I guess, but after that, it got ridiculous IMO
Last edited by Stief on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.
Stief

Re: My Pokemanz, let me show you them...

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

Yellow was the best. Gold/Silver started getting really good after you'd finished, wit hthe wiers mountain or seomthing after you'd beaten the League.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Silver was where I stopped being part of the fandom. 350 pokémon is too many. I also lament the decline in popularity of the card game. I managed to find one person who could actually play using the real rules (instead of the "I have Charizard. Flame attack! You're dead!" that populated my primary school play-time) but he was a sore loser who would constantly try to persuade you that the rules had changed so that he didn't have to lose.
thecommabandit

Postby tzar1990 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 am UTC

I think it's a decent enough game, as long as you don't believe the "catch'em all" trick they use to encourage purchases. I played a while ago, and I found that it was decent enough if you just grabbed a few you liked and used them, instead focusing on having 432 (or whatever the heck it is) little war-slaves.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes
tzar1990

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:11 pm UTC

I found my copy of silver a year ago and has such a wave of nostalgia that i completed it over the next couple of weeks :)
One day something wity and original will appear here

Irrefutable

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

So i herd u liek Image
Ian Ex Machina

Postby photosinensis » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

I dunno: I'm actually quite enthralled by the later editions of the games. Granted, I never got into the trading cards, but the complexity of the video games fascinates me. I don't really think that the nearly 500 Pokemon are that bad: it's just more of a challenge that way.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.
photosinensis

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

I enjoyed Pokemen (hehe), and only ever played Red/Blue. 151 is good enough for me. :)
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby saxything43 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:12 am UTC

After Yellow it got ridiculous. Having 151/2 or so was perfect, you had about five or so for each type and there were tons of different types, so you could structure a team off of either
A) Pokemon who were just plain badass
B) Pokemon who worked well together, even if they weren't that cool

But once they added the second set to make it 300 or so....no. That's Wizards of the Coast needing new content to sell more merchandise, not an improvement to a game.
This post brought you to by the number 42.
saxything43

Postby tzar1990 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:50 am UTC

I think that all the games had something going for them, honestly

Red, blue and yellow have the best nostalgia value for me, but the game balance was a bit broken, with psychic>everything else. It was good for goofing around by yourself, but if you actually battled people who knew what they were doing, you'd realize that there was NO DEFENCE aginst psychic. The only thing super effective against it (bug) sucked, and no useful pogeys resisted it.

Second generation was a lot better, at least technically, then first, although there were still places where I felt it needed improvement. It was good that they nerfed psychic, and some of the new pokes were quite interesting. The second half of the game (after the elite 4) seemed kind of like a rushed bonus level, but I didn't mind too much. It was still nice to go around, beat up some familiar faces, and then take out Red.

Third generation was, in my opinion, probably the weakest, although I enjoyed it a lot anyways. Some of the new pokemon were kind of silly, but there were still some cool new ones. It didn't bring too much to the table, but it had a more interesting plot. It was shorter than I liked, but I still got plenty of replay value out of it, going back and training my favorites.

Fourth generation is my current favorite, although that may pass once my initial happiness wears off. Some of the new pokemon are terrible, it's true, but there are plenty of ones I really like as well. The plot seemed a bit more interesting, and there's still places to explore after the Elite 4 (not as many as second generation, but more than third.) Another thing that I like is online play, as it allows me more intelligent opponents than my brother and the (very small) number of people who play it at my high school.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes
tzar1990

Postby idont_know12 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Yes, RB/Y was best generation, GS/C was good as far as some of the features they added to the game (like breeding). I've played Ruby for a little, but didn't get much out of it - although I do like the "running" feature.
I think there is a lot that could be done to improve the games though.
idont_know12

Postby J Spade » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 am UTC

I collected all of the Base set 1 cards and have Yellow, Gold, Emerald, and Diamond versions.

Gold was best.
J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:32 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I also lament the decline in popularity of the card game. I managed to find one person who could actually play using the real rules (instead of the "I have Charizard. Flame attack! You're dead!" that populated my primary school play-time) but he was a sore loser who would constantly try to persuade you that the rules had changed so that he didn't have to lose.

At least you managed to find one person :( For my pokecard fix I had to play the gameboy game <shudder>
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.
l33t_sas

Postby Stief » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 am UTC

I've added a poll :D I think I know where the majority of votes will be :)
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.
Stief

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Stief wrote:I've added a poll :D I think I know where the majority of votes will be :)

Gold/Silver for me, as they came out in the height of my Pokemon phase.
l33t_sas

Postby Istrom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:23 am UTC

I think that emerald was the best for me. I enjoyed the breeding and daycare functoins, I also really enjoyed the Battle Factory at the Battle frontier.
Istrom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:56 am UTC

They need to make Pearl/Diamond like Gold/Silver where you get to go back to other places and defeat all the old gym leader...

Edit: All of the game should have this ability.
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:They need to make Pearl/Diamond like Gold/Silver where you get to go back to other places and defeat all the old gym leader...

Edit: All of the game should have this ability.

Yes but jack up the levels of all the gym leaders and trainers so that it's actually hard and not just there for nostalgia's sake.
l33t_sas

Postby Sadistic » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:So i herd u liek Image

I LOVEmudkipz, and my vote was for Red/Blue because they were new and fun.
For some reason everyone I knew thought Red was the best, but blue was awesome to me. :lol:
Sadistic

Postby Rodan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

Gold was my favourite, but that's only because that's the first one I really played.
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:08 am UTC

I started with Pkmn Blue in 98-99 ish, while my sister had Red. Like everyone we'd trade the exclusive ones between eachother and do the upgrades for Allakhazams and Machamps. Got yellow shortly after, but didn't enjoy it as much due to Pikachu being such a pansy and the removal of the good ol' MissingNo. cheat.

Played the G/S/C era as well. Lugia was awesome and the final lifeline of my team on many occasion, who would go on to wipe the floor with about 5 of the opposing team.

Didn't have an N64, so couldn't experience that wing of the initial Pokemon craze, and what Pokemon cards I had (including a shiny Charizard) got lost along the way.

Had copies of Ruby and Sapphire, and after clearing Ruby once I had the master-plan of outfitting both cartridges with a full starter team, that I eventually couldn't be arsed to finish off.

Played Colosseum and Channel (the latter only to get that rare Jirachi, which sucked anyway) as well, but haven't really touched Pokemon in years. Nostalgic thoughts, yes, played it, no.

Red/Blue/Yellow era gets my vote though. It was the simplest and like they say sometimes, "the original is always best". Never managed a complete full 150 pokemon or whatever they went up to on later games, nor did I get any of the event ones like a Mew or Deoxys.
Position vacant: new signature. No experience necessary, apply within.
User title GET.
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:50 am UTC

I think I like Gold/Silver the best (Silver being my game of choice). While I was really into my Red version (it was the first one I played and it really captured me (I was also ~10/11)), and Yellow was good, I just really liked Silver (I liked the legendaries they added and the ability to go back to Kanto was pretty cool, too (breeding was nice, too)). I played Crystal, but it wasn't that much different from G/S, and I haven't really played Diamond all that much.

(I apologize for my over-use of parentheses.)

Incidentally, am I the only one who really liked Eevee? I didn't really use them all that much, but they were fun and it was cool that they could evolve into all the different forms.

Note: Edited to change "Sapphire" to "Crystal" (way to go, me, giving the wrong name to the game).
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.
Wolf

Postby Aldarion » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:56 am UTC

My choice is Silver.
I used to play Blue, but Silver is, in my opinion, the most balanced of them all. Not too many pokemon, and not too few.
I didn't even try playing the next generations.
BTW, does anyone know what happens when you collect them all in each game?
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
Aldarion

Postby dnL » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:05 am UTC

In Red/Blue you were able to print out a certificate that said you caught all 150 Pokemon. Not sure in Gold/Silver and above though; it's probably the same, me thinks.
Time creates many excellent pupils.
Shame that it kills them all.
dnL

Postby MarshyMarsh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Along with Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2 6 Golden Rings. Pokemon Red was my first Gameboy pocket game (also my first ever console).
Red has to be my alltime favourite followed by Yellow. (blue had a strange feel to it that I never liked)
I got into the S/G/C and can name any pokemon from the first 2 generations if you show me a picture. (I had Silver then Crystal, Gold was retarded)
Never got Emerald/Ruby (I had kinda grown out)
However I got diamond and downloaded it once it had been released in the states (6 months before my homeland of europe).
It was alright, too many novelties if you ask me.

I have recently however downloaded Red (and super mario Land) for my DS and am enjoying playing it again.
Also looking into getting a Gameboy Micro so I can carry classics around with more ease than my DSL.
MarshyMarsh

Postby idont_know12 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

MarshyMarsh wrote:I ... can name any pokemon from the first 2 generations if you show me a picture.

Oh, I remember those days.... The days when the height, weight, element, name, number, and move list of all the first 151 pokemon was stored in my memory.... Sad, really.
Now, of course, I only have name- and element-recognition left, but for the 251, which is a greater number. So I guess it balances out.
Nope, still sad.
idont_know12

Postby l33t_sas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

MarshyMarsh wrote:I ... can name any pokemon from the first 2 generations if you show me a picture.

Me too. That's what you get for not having enough friends back in Primary School. High School rocks.
l33t_sas

Postby Cheese » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 am UTC

The biggest problem I have with yellow is that you can get all three starters from red/blue without trading, which... umm... just annoys me, I suppose. Yellow has got a lot less bugs and much better graphics, though.

It appears that I'm agreeing with a great many others here when I say that G/S/C were alright, then it started getting stupid, and I stopped playing them.

Oh, and the standard lineup I use for the Elite Four on yellow (It's the only one I've still got a copy of - yes, I do play it from time to time :P ) is Kadabra*, Charizard, Gyarados, Fearow (I've beaten Lance in the past because Fearow's somehow survived a blizzard and mirror moved it back), Zapdos (or Pikachu if I've not bothered to get Zapdos, but he generally sucks due to unevolvability*) and either Raticate(super fang FTW!), DragonairT or Chansey, the last two being damage soaks.

*I have noone to trade with, and no cable to use anyway
TAnd all these are < level 45, my best team being (I think) 44, 42, 41, 39, 44 [pikachu] and 32 [dragonair] respectively. This explains the underevolved state of Dragonair.

Oh, and on the remembering pokemans (damn, I wish opera accepted ctrl+alt+e...), I could, at one point, recite about 110 of the R/B/Y monsters in order, which I am most definitely not proud of.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Stief » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:17 am UTC

One depressing feature of most of the games is that after you and your rival have chosen your starter pokemon, there's one left....It's never picked up or shown life at all....:(

I am currently still training all my team to lvl 10 for Brock :P

Stief

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 am UTC

i went with the early days--yellow was amazing. red and blue.. but without the incessant trading (except for goddamn gengar...)

gold and silver pissed me off with the eassssssy elite four. I mean, the last 2 or 3 gym leaders in yellow/red/blue could've taken gold and silver's elite four. level 50 as the highest? come on. level 70 was where it's at.

ruby and sapphire... i remember picking up gold and silver and trying to do stuff that I thought was added in there.. turns out that ruby and sapphire just added a TON of content. which I liked. They were prettty good, but there were too many pokemanz. still really good. I remember hunting around for sapphire when I realized... when my van was stolen, my GBA and sapphire and the actino replay were inside the glovebox at the time..
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 am UTC

Radicate.
хлэб и Воля
Benitosimies

Postby Skateside » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Benitosimies wrote:Radicate.

I had a friend who routinely kicked my ass with that. He developped an brutal combination with Substitute and then constantly using Double Team until the substitute broke, then doing it a second time before actually starting to fight. It was almost impossible to hit him after that.

Gold/Silver were my favourites. I played Yellow and enjoyed it, and I adored Silver. I gave all my lil Pokemon nicknames, built them all up to level 100 (I've still got the squad somewhere). I tried to play Crystal but never got too far with it. I also picked up a copy of Sapphire a few years back but never got past the Elite Four. I just lost interest. Although I think part of that was because I didn't know anyone anymore who played it. Pokemon really needs someone else to battle against you to be really fun.

I can still remember my favourite squad:
Gengar, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Typhlosion, Electabuzz and Dragonite
Then someone would challenge me with a ground type ¬_¬
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?
Skateside

Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Cheese » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:gold and silver pissed me off with the eassssssy elite four. I mean, the last 2 or 3 gym leaders in yellow/red/blue could've taken gold and silver's elite four. level 50 as the highest? come on. level 70 was where it's at.
Well, there were all the kanto leaders, then pkmntrainer RED, too (or was that just in crystal?).
Spoiler:
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby ohnoesmilk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I went from red/blue straight to Diamond/Pearl, and I enjoy the later one much much better. The global trading thing is really cool, as are the Wifi battles.

495 (or how many there are) is a pretty ridiculous though if their slogan is still "Gotta Catch 'Em All!". But I do enjoy the variety and the mixing of types. It's pretty cool. The Dinosaur that has leaves for wings, yes!

also: Cheese, I love your display pic. Stinky cheese man ftw!
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?
ohnoesmilk

Postby Kawa » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 am UTC

I'm playing Pearl right now, and I think it is awesome. It's fixed a lot of the problems of the old games (more realistic Berries), made mechanics more realistic (there's Physical and Special attacks for each element, so the Physical Attack of (say) Grass-types is actually useful now to some degree), added some awesome minigames (Underground, whee!), and I also really love the online capabilities it takes advantage of. I also really liked Gold/Silver/Crystal, mostly for plotline and nostalgia (I mainly dug Crystal because it was the first you could play as a girl).
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.
Kawa

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I'm playing Diamond at the moment. It seems that my final team is going to be something like

Will-o-Wisp Giratina
SR/Roar Empoleon Mixed Wall
Classic Special Wall Blissey
Classic Sweeper Garchomp
Paraflinch Togekiss

And something else..

Anyone know what I'm missing? I'm not good at setting up teams..

Edit: Maybe a physical sweeper Rampardos w/ EQ

Edit: Actually I need a special sweeper.. so maybe Lucario or my Dialga
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby ohnoesmilk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I'm playing Diamond at the moment. It seems that my final team is going to be something like

Will-o-Wisp Giratina
SR/Roar Empoleon Mixed Wall
Classic Special Wall Blissey
Classic Sweeper Garchomp
Paraflinch Togekiss

And something else..

Anyone know what I'm missing? I'm not good at setting up teams..

Edit: Maybe a physical sweeper Rampardos w/ EQ

Luxray is good. Mine has Bite, Crunch, Discharge, and Thunder fang, and it did me well. or maybe Drifblim.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?
ohnoesmilk

Postby CrackTheSky » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:54 am UTC

Yellow was fucking annoying. I hated being forced to take Pikachu at the beginning, and him following me around everywhere was really annoying. I liked how it followed the story closer than R/B did, but that didn't make up for the parts that bothered me. Once I played through it once, I could never bring myself to play through it again over R/B, to the point where I bought used copies of both Red and Blue to replace my broken ones (MissingNo. glitch kills those games -_-).

I never played any Pokemon games other than those three, but I liked the games' simplicity and I think anything past the second generation just seems stupid. My girlfriend gave me her copy of Pokemon Gold, but I haven't played it yet. I may someday, I even kind of want to, but I don't have enough time to invest in it right now.

So, R/B/Y gets my vote, despite the presence of Y :P
CrackTheSky

Postby i like pi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:25 am UTC

GS/C FTW!

Not much to say here, move along now.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.
i like pi

Postby Cheese » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

CrackTheSky wrote:Yellow... I liked how it followed the story closer than R/B did, but that didn't make up for the parts that bothered me.
The 'story' originated with Red and Green (did Blue come out in Japan?), and was heavily modified to fit in an anime show - One of the most annoying things about yellow for me was the desperate need for it to follow said 'story'...

EXAMPLE: There was one episode in which the heroes encountered a boy with a sandshrew which had won 100 battles without a single loss... this entire half-hour of the show was based on a youngster on the path to rock tunnel who said this.

PS: On rereading before posting, I realise that the example could be taken to mean that that character from the game was based on that episode, and all I've done is find a link between the two... but I'm still absolutely certain that the games came first.
Spoiler:
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Next

Return to Gaming