Myst

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Myst

Postby liza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 am UTC

Anyone else play Myst and/or its sequals? I loved that game so much. It was so pretty!
I remember getting very far through Riven - and then tragedy struck - I had lost disc 5! Didn't find it for months. It's seared into my mind, as when one is seven or eight, waiting months to finish a game is practically incomprehensible!
I bought the third one (Exile?) but lost interest after not too long. I don't distinctly remember finishing it, so I doubt that I did.
Apparently there are more, but I haven't talked to anyone who's bought/played them.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.
liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:52 am UTC

I tried playing when I was little (about 7/8) I didn't know what it was and then I just pwned myself. It was the original one. Yeah it was pretty though
=]
__Kit

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Did Myst, did Riven, did a bit of Exile but it had lost something. I also read a trilogy of books set in the Myst universe that were entertaining. What a great game that was.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 pm UTC

Did the first three. I got Revelations, but I can't play it on the sucky computer I have at home. :cry:
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
bookishbunny

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

played the first one, alright but not blown away by it, started on the second and got bored. too little game too much slide show for my liking.
in ur beanz makin u eveel
evilbeanfiend

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

When I played Myst I got stuck (I was like, 10 or something), gave up, and never looked back.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby FiddleMath » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Played Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelations. Riven is still my favorite, because, in it, the puzzles actually integrated well with the story. If you think about what's going on, and what you know about the people and culture around you, it actually helps. Some stuff, really, would be under-clued except for this. So, Riven is maybe my favorite puzzle adventure, ever.
FiddleMath

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.
Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby George Orr » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

I've played and beaten all 5 of the myst games, and I've beaten the singleplayer mode in URU. The best game puzzle-wise and story-wise is Riven in my opinion, but Myst IV has the most incredible graphics of any game I've played on the PC, and decent puzzles to boot. Man, that game was beautiful. It's truly an "immersion" world, and despite its being easier than Riven, I still like it a bit more.

URU is fun, but it is much more difficult than the other games at parts, and it took me and two friends a month working together to beat it. It's also annoying how, with the free movement, you run into puzzles based on how well you can jump, rather than on how well you can think. It's a good game, but only for someone already familiar with Myst.

III and V were the worst in my opinion. Myst V took a step down graphics-wise from IV, and tried to add in lots of gimmicky things to make it cool, but it ended up just being annoying. It was also easy to exploit loopholes in the game to beat it much more quickly, which was too bad.
Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.
George Orr

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

I've played Riven and Myst, loved them both. Riven... I've got this tendency to really latch onto things like a rabid dog when they interest me, and Riven did that. For a while I was completely immersed, and writing little D'ni fives everywhere.

Riven WAS hard though. Not as hard as Zork, but pretty damn hard.

I'm very sad because I can't get Riven to run on any of my computers at home :( It's not compatible with the new version of Quicktime.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

I'm sorry George and nyar, but the thread was ovar after my last post. Good try though.

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.
Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby noouch » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

I played up to Myst IV, just to gawk at the awesome graphics. I kept wishing for a tool that would just let you unpack it all to a normal image format to view without bothering with the lengthy gameplay (although some of the puzzles were quite entertaining)
noouch

Postby Dr.Robert » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

I only did the original myst, and goodness was it fun. I really liked the music too.

The only other myst-esque game played after that was Cosmic Osmo.
Dr.Robert

Postby Izual_Rebirth » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Really liked Riven. Couldn't really get into myst, found it too buggy and got frustrated at some puzzles.

I've got the others sitting on my shelf but none of them ever captured me like riven did.
Izual_Rebirth

Postby une see » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:37 am UTC

I played a little bit of Myst, but the sad part is that my computer kept lagging up. Yes, my computer lagged on Myst. *shakes head*
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
une see
Is my girl

Postby xooll » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I've played all of them except Riven because my computer doesn't seem to like that disc. I inevitably end up stuck and either cheating or abandoning it.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.
xooll

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:52 am UTC

People don't seem to realize that the FoxTrot comic ended the thread.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am UTC

Wow, i remember that strip from one of my collection books... *just viewed the thread for the first time*

Is it possible that velociraptors are mentioned in XKCD in light of FoxTrot? I know that wasn't the only comic to depict raptors. I remember a LOT of them the more i think about it. Either way that was too perfect.

I played Myst once, and it was crazy. I only remember 3 things about it.

1. The BG noise and music horridly spaced me out crazy.
2. I never got past one of the puzzle somewhere early in the game
3. To never collect All of the blank pages, or else...
rachel wrote:I find it amazingly funny that you censored the word "fucking" but not the word "cock."
Dark Ragnarok

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:38 am UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Wow, i remember that the thread ended and I shouldn't post lest I be called vulgar names and have my posts edited. I'm such an ass!

Fix'd.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:People don't seem to realize that the FoxTrot comic ended the thread.

probably because they can't actually read it from that picture
in ur beanz makin u eveel
evilbeanfiend

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:Wow, i remember that the thread ended and I shouldn't post lest I be called vulgar names and have my posts edited. I'm such an ass!

Fix'd.

I ended your mom's thread.
Nyarlathotep

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

I just bought Myst, Riven, and Exile today.

Not at all what I was expecting, seeing as I had never played the game or even read about it before. That'll teach me to impulse buy!
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:30 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:I just bought Myst, Riven, and Exile today.

Not at all what I was expecting, seeing as I had never played the game or even read about it before. That'll teach me to impulse buy!

What were you expecting?
Nyarlathotep

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:

What were you expecting?

From the graphics on the package, some sort of RPG. Of course, the package did nothing to correct this assumption.

Now that I'm getting down into it though, I'm really interested in finishing the games. Starting from Exile and working backwards.

Edit to add: I have the 10th anniversary edition, which is Myst, Riven, and Exile packaged as one. Actually, the only reason I bought it was because it was the only thing under $20 that didn't look like crap.
Last edited by The Sleeping Tyrant on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

What were you expecting?

From the graphics on the package, some sort of RPG. Of course, the package did nothing to correct this assumption.

Now that I'm getting down into it though, I'm really interested in finishing the games. Starting from Exile and working backwards.

Interesting, when I began there was only Riven, and I went backwards from there. I still need to get IV and Exile. I'm told that V isn't worth it.

*e* and I can understand where the RPG misconception comes from as well, I thought the same thing and was VERY frustrated by Riven and how you're on rails for that game.

Which version of Myst did you get, btw?
Nyarlathotep

Postby curious and questioning » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:18 am UTC

Out of curiosity, there's a difference in versions?

I had just started getting somewhere in Myst when the computer's power supply died. I'd have to switch hard drives with this one to play (or install in the 1 GB of space left), and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I have an old version from a couple years after it came out, although I got my dad a 10th anniversary DVD-ROM (the only version of Riven I could find in the mall) set of 5 myst games last year.
[insert quote here]
curious and questioning

Postby Gadren » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:33 am UTC

I obsess over Myst. At Uru Obsession (the biggest Myst/Uru community), I'm the poster with the most posts, at over 10,000...
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... 03&MID=939
Gadren

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:57 am UTC

curious and questioning wrote:Out of curiosity, there's a difference in versions?

I had just started getting somewhere in Myst when the computer's power supply died. I'd have to switch hard drives with this one to play (or install in the 1 GB of space left), and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I have an old version from a couple years after it came out, although I got my dad a 10th anniversary DVD-ROM (the only version of Riven I could find in the mall) set of 5 myst games last year.

By the Power of Wikipedia...
Nyarlathotep

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:People don't seem to realize that the FoxTrot comic ended the thread.

I can read it just fine. Get a better monitor.

Jason: Yikes, I can't believe how many bugs there are in this!

Jason: Stop drooling, Quincy.

Peter: What are you doing?
Jason: Debugging a game I wrote.

Jason: I got sick of waiting for "Myst II" to come out, so I decided to create it myself.

Peter: Cool, how'd you do that?
Jason: Basically, it was pretty easy. I just imported all the image and sound files from the original "Myst" and added a few new touches.

Jason: See, here's the [can't read this, but IIRC it's a description of the opening portions of the original Myst]

Peter: Jason, this is the same as the first version!
Jason: Not exactly.

Peter: What's the difference?
Computer: Warning, Velociraptor approaching.
Jason: Let's just say you have to solve the puzzles really quickly.

And I got that just from the image. I'm super cereal guys. Learn to read.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby xyzzy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

I started with Exile, and finished it. I've got a fair ways into Revelation, but never finished that, and I've started Riven.

While Riven may be the best game, starting with Exile spoiled me for the view options.

And Spire (from Revelation), is the coolest age ever.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me
xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
evilbeanfiend wrote:

I can read it just fine. Get a better monitor.

Jason: See, here's the [can't read this, but IIRC it's a description of the opening portions of the original Myst]

*Ahem* We can read the rest of the strip just fine. Except for that one frame that even almighty Thou cannot decipher. But I'd like to know what that frame says. So don't be hatin'
saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Re: Myst

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

So!

I just learned that they have recently released a DS version of Myst in Europe, with completely re-written source code and a new age (!)

That's a new age IN ADDITION TO Rime, the new age from realMyst.

I have just er... legally obtained... yes... legally obtained the game and I'll let you guys know how it is once I've played it.

In other news... I tried to play Riven on my lappy (The old school, 5 disk monster) and sadly the game crashed when I tried to get to the second island (The really big one with the trees). Serious boofor. thank god for the DS Myst becuase otherwise I dunno how I'd get my fix.

And in other news er... shameless self promotion. Basically, a friend of mine and I got really, really bored and in DESPERATE need of a Myst fix, so we've started a play-by-post freeform RP based on the D'ni culture. It's set a few thousand years before Myst (long before even the Book of Ti'ana), so if anyone wants to sign up... feel free. We're in the planning stages at the moment, but it's shaping up to be pretty interesting.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:19 am UTC

From what I heard of the DS game, the 'new' Age is Rime, not in addition to Rime. But I could be wrong.

I love Myst. :D
Triss Hawkeye

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:12 am UTC

I've heard conflicting things. I guess I'll find out.

Hm. Initial impressions

1. They lied about the updated graphics, unless I'm missing something. They look exactly the same to me.

2. The controls are... very, very hard. There's no longer a nice little hand, you have to just guess with the stylus. Furthermore, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to hit some of the buttons becuase they're SO small on the screen. Same with picking up some objects, books, etc. There is a magnifier function to let you read text, but it's bulky. The addition of a way to take notes and screenshots is nice, but the stylus bit really irks me. They should have done more than just ported it to DS, they should have actually updated the damn thing and made the buttons bigger, everything a bit easier to see. Arrgh, eyestrain!
Nyarlathotep

Postby Will » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:51 am UTC

I played the tenth anniversary edition of Myst, which ruined the game for me. The Millienum Edition that comes with the tenth anniversary set has a hint functionality, which I did not realize until after I beat it was not present in the original game. Having the game tell you how to get past all the puzzles ruins the game entirely. I tried to play Riven, but I couldn't figure a damn thing out and finally gave up (and subsequently had to return the game to the person who lent it to me.) I really liked Myst, but I wish I could have my memory of the game erased so I could go back and play it right.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Will wrote:I played the tenth anniversary edition of Myst, which ruined the game for me. The Millienum Edition that comes with the tenth anniversary set has a hint functionality, which I did not realize until after I beat it was not present in the original game. Having the game tell you how to get past all the puzzles ruins the game entirely. I tried to play Riven, but I couldn't figure a damn thing out and finally gave up (and subsequently had to return the game to the person who lent it to me.) I really liked Myst, but I wish I could have my memory of the game erased so I could go back and play it right.

I'd suggest trying Exile, the game after Riven. It's not nearly as difficult as Riven (which some people complain about, but which I felt was justified.) and still has that atmosphere.

Riven IS ridiculously hard though. It's pretty notorious for that. My favourite of the series, but yes, hard as hell.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Akula » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:22 am UTC

So... unless I've missed the mark, they've managed to bastardize another sacred pillar of gaming with these re-releases and ports?
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Akula

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Akula wrote:So... unless I've missed the mark, they've managed to bastardize another sacred pillar of gaming with these re-releases and ports?

The re-releases / ports are less heinous than their sad, sad attempt at an MMORPG.

Yes, you read that right. Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, which is less an MMORPG and more an MMO... puzzle... game... thingy... still. it initially died hardcore becuase people were more interested in WoW grinding, but now it's got a small and very fanatical fan following. No clue when they last updated though, they don't seem to make much money on it becuase frankly, who wants to pay $15 a month for a game that completely fucks with Myst canon (even more than End of Ages did).
Nyarlathotep

Postby Akula » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:38 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Akula wrote:So... unless I've missed the mark, they've managed to bastardize another sacred pillar of gaming with these re-releases and ports?

The re-releases / ports are less heinous than their sad, sad attempt at an MMORPG.

Yes, you read that right. Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, which is less an MMORPG and more an MMO... puzzle... game... thingy... still. it initially died hardcore becuase people were more interested in WoW grinding, but now it's got a small and very fanatical fan following. No clue when they last updated though, they don't seem to make much money on it becuase frankly, who wants to pay $15 a month for a game that completely fucks with Myst canon (even more than End of Ages did).

I wouldn't pay $15 for it period. I was really never a big fan, but understand why other some speak of it with such zealotry.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Akula

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Akula wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

I wouldn't pay $15 for it period. I was really never a big fan, but understand why other some speak of it with such zealotry.

I personally love the mythology and the atmosphere of the games, but I'm too poor to pay that money for more and even if I could, it seems a waste.
Nyarlathotep

Next

Return to Gaming