[UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

[UK] London - http://fourquartersbar.co.uk

Postby Felstaff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Edit:

Hey let's all meet up in London.

We can discuss Dickens at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street
We can discuss Shakespeare at The George Inn, Borough
We can discuss the discovery of DNA at the Waterfront, King's College, Temple (entering through the front doors on Aldwych to avoid overzealous student reps)
We can observe the latest Camden-based musicians (isn't that all of them?) at Filthy MacNasty's, Angel (definitely not that most pretentious of bohemian-twatface wannabe pubs, The Hawley Arms)
We can discuss the history of Bedlam; St. Bethlem's Hospital For The Tragically Insane, and how I work on the former graveyard of Bedlam, at the Railway Tavern, Liverpool St.
Then we can walk to Shoreditch and have a nice curry (the best ones are just off Brick Lane)

Last edited by Felstaff on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: For those of you in London, UK

Postby arkady » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:41 am UTC

During the University holidays would be ideal.
I spent most of my money on fast cars, expensive guitars and women. The rest I just squandered.

e+1 = 0

*DISASTER AREA* Universe Tour. [Backstage pass]
arkady

Postby Robin S » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:48 am UTC

This belongs in this thread.

That said, if we can fix a date, I will be there (unless I am unavoidably unavailable).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.
Robin S

Postby electoralfraud » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Am I right in thinking that'd be the pub with the lightening effects, cobwebs, and the spooky sounds when you're in the toilet? I think I may have been in there a couple of times. If you propose a time and date that we can argue about for several months until everyone gets fed-up, or we find one that can be agreed on, then I'm always up for some booze and attempts at intelligent conversation, or booze and unintelligible conversation. If possible though I'd probably be more inclined to a Sam Smiths due to the lower cost of drink since I'm bordering on the severely skint right now.
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Felstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Yes! That'll be the one

I would say this belongs in the general UK thread, but people seem far too spaced out [geographically, not chemically]*, so I think a London-centric meet-up thread deserves its own special thread. For, as we all know, London is the centre of time itself.

Anyway, I have 3 city-based pubs I go to regularly; The Ben Crouch Tavern, off Oxford Street, and the Tipperary, on Fleet Street, and most importantly Ye Olde Motherfuckin' Cheshire Cheese, which is dead opposite the Tipperary. I go to Ye Olde Cheddar Cheese solely because it's stood in its current form since 1667 (sixteen-sixty-fucking-seven!), and was a favourite haunt of Charles Dickens.

Basically, next time I'm planning to go there, I'll bring it up, judge the response and then tell you I'm the meek-looking individual in a suit + black coat with a red-and-white football scarf, standing outside smoking rollies with a fiery ginger guy, who has a greater vocabulary than my Texas Instruments™ Talking Dictionary. I'll probably be insulting hobos, also. So look out for that.

*200 miles to an Englishman is a long way, just like 200 years to an American is a long time.
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Robin S » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:as we all know, London is the centre of time itself.
I think you'll find that's Greenwich.
Robin S

Postby electoralfraud » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Greenwich is in Greater London, so I think its a fair statement even though Greenwich isn't central within London.

Red and White football scarf? Are you a Gunners fan by any chance? I'm deep in bandit country here and the ambulance depot has just exploded. I'm watching it burn through the window (this is actually true, hence I'm still awake right now). My housemates and I don't wear football colours anymore after one of us almost got stabbed wearing a villa shirt when he was mistaken for a Hammers fan. But thats pretty superfluous information, I'm just trying to burn time waiting for the sirens and other disturbances to stop.

The plan for an ad-hoc meetup plan sounds fine by me, count me in as long as I have a few quid at the time.
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby cypherspace » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Yes! That'll be the one

I would say this belongs in the general UK thread, but people seem far too spaced out [geographically, not chemically]*, so I think a London-centric meet-up thread deserves its own special thread.
Luckily, I am from London. I am back irregularly, but I could probably make one of these if it's a weekend and there's plenty of warning.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"
cypherspace

Postby papercut_ska » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:200 miles to an Englishman is a long way, just like 200 years to an American is a long time.

- I may have to quote you in my sig....
------------------------

longcat is loooooooong.

Felstaff wrote:200 miles to an Englishman is a long way, just like 200 years to an American is a long time.
papercut_ska

Postby electoralfraud » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Anyone planning on going to this Picocon thing tomorrow? I just saw it on boingboing: http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/22/picocon-ill-be-at-th.html

Seems like it might be worth a look, even if it is at Gimperial *spits*.
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Robin S » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Some people don't appreciate their educational institutions being insulted like that.
Robin S

Postby pode » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

electoralfraud:

Obviously you will be able to name a college in London that is better than Imperial. Sadly I can't think of any off the top of my head, so you and your jealousy will just have to crawl back under the rock you came from.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't earned the right to insult my alma mater.
pode

Postby cypherspace » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:Some people don't appreciate their educational institutions being insulted like that.

Some people can't take a good-natured ribbing...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"
cypherspace

Postby Plastic Soul » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I'll be back for 12 or so days beginning this weekend. I'm thinking of maybe putting together an XKCD pub trivia team by wednesday night.

Any takers?
Plastic Soul

Postby Robin S » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Some people can't take a good-natured ribbing...
It doesn't help that I spent my secondary education having my school referred to as "Shitgift".

As for the trivia thing: my trivia knowledge is generally quite poor, but I'd be up for a pub quiz for the lulz. Wednesday afternoons are particularly good if it's going to be during the week; Monday evenings are bad.
Robin S

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Well as everyone's getting in a to-and-fro about institutional banter, I'll throw my two pence wildly about.

As a King's College, London Alumnus, we have several ribbings for various, [haughty deriding cough] lesser, institutions. We call UCL a former polytechnic that churns out artists that play bedwetter's music, LSE a school for clowns, and Imperial... Well, I'm pretty sure we say some crap about them too.

Heh-heh: 'Gimperial.' I like it.

Anyway, mirth and merriment aside, a pub quiz team sounds excellent. I'm sure with your brains and my excellent ability to write letters on paper that form words, and eventually complete sentences, we will form an unstoppable team. I also can jfg on my telephonical receiver, which will be cunningly placed sous la table.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby dubsola » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Your new favourite pub will be the Ben Crouch Tavern.
Is that so? My good man, it will have to be bally awesome to knock off my current favourite pub.

In all seriousness, my favourite (London) pub would have to be... an amalgam of various pubs here, not to mention located in such a way as to be closer than whatever is the best pub within walking distance at any given time of day, and subsequently, at various locations that I travel to within a day. It's strange I have not been to this one yet, I've been to most pubs around the area. My Fitzrovia / Soho / London choices are as follows:
  • John Snow. It's a Sam Smithspub , so you get cheap pints that are acceptable, and upstairs, it has the best wallpaper I've ever seen. Also, it is named after the physician who helped defeat cholera in London, and is opposite the replica water pump that led to his discovery.
  • Newman Arms - comfortable pub with a pie restaurant upstairs, has a cool alleyway and is the pub that George Orwell used for inspiration for the proles' pub in 1984.
  • Pillars of Hercules
  • Blue Posts
  • King and Queen
  • Wheatsheaf
  • Argyll Arms
  • The Ship
etc etc... but in particular, the John Snow, and the Newman Arms. Moving outside of this area, and to my favourite pub in London, the Pride of Spitalfields, in the East End. Also in the area is the Approach, the Camel, the Palm Tree, and the Dove. They generally have a good selection of drinks.

The Market Porter, opposite Borough Market probably has the best range of beers of any London Pub, the St Peters pub / brewery in Farringdon serves delicious St Peters beers, and the Prospect of Whitby in Wapping is incredibly old. Older than Ye Olde Cheddar Cheese, possibly. I'll have to check out your suggestions, though. Always keen to try new pubs.
dubsola

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

The Ship? Would that be the one on Lime Street?
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Pub Quiz

Postby electoralfraud » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:41 am UTC

'Gimperial' is only a bit of friendly intercollegiate ribbing really, its just become a little more obligatory now they've left UOL. As Felstaff points out theres more than enough smacktalk to go around in london.

pode, lighten up. Better than ICL? In what aspect or for what subject? You're chatting enough breeze to make me want to put on a coat. And you probably should've introduced yourself first, the rapt...err...mods generally consider it polite.

Anyway, I'd be up for a pub quiz next wednesday. Where and when would it be?
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby dubsola » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:The Ship? Would that be the one on Lime Street?

Nope, I was thinking of the one on Wardour street.

I also forgot to mention a great pub - the Museum Tavern in Bloomsbury, opposite the... British Museum! Very comfortable and a good range of beers.
dubsola

Postby electoralfraud » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Plastic Soul: Where and when and how much please? If we have spare places... are any UOL and The Sorbonne OK to make spare places and all that?
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Robin S » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

electoralfraud wrote:Anyway, I'd be up for a pub quiz next wednesday. Where and when would it be?
I'm no pub expert so I'm not making any suggestions, but just thought I'd mention that this Wednesday suits me too. Even if the quiz ends up not materializing.
Robin S

Postby Plastic Soul » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

excellent. I'm off to the airport now, will have more details once I'm on the ground.
Plastic Soul

Postby electoralfraud » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:
electoralfraud wrote:Anyway, I'd be up for a pub quiz next wednesday. Where and when would it be?
I'm no pub expert so I'm not making any suggestions, but just thought I'd mention that this Wednesday suits me too. Even if the quiz ends up not materializing.

Aye. if there isn't a pub-quiz its no bones with me, a meet-up'd be good with or without. Time to cadge a score till friday and wash my el reg t-shirt probably.

Could I suggest that if we aren't attending a pub-quiz or otherwise venue dependent event that we go to a pub which is a little more friendly to smokers than 'go stand outside the door'. Such as the Lyceum on the north side of waterloo bridge.
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Tentative:

Pub: Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (London's oldest pub! Only one of forty to claim this)

Location: 145 Fleet Street (Hidden, with a teeny-tiny swinging sign, but basically opposite the Tiperary, 500 yards down from Royal Courts o' Justice League, and 200 yards from Chancery Lane)

Date: Wednesday the fifth of March, 2008. Can't make it, but have fun if you go! It's a very, very old building with a quiet side-alley for smokers (partly covered, maybe?) and lots of dungeon-esque twists and turns. Reminds me of the Prancing Pony. Serves Sam Smith's ale.

Time: After work, so 6-6.30pm.

I'll be there with my ginger drinking cohort. He argues with the vigour of Mark Twain. For the love of Godot, don't engage him in conversation.

I haven't actually asked him yet, so this is why I have used 'tentative' in lovingly bold letters. He may be busy, now he has [latest Wii game].

Edited due to me pressing the edit button.
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:14 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby electoralfraud » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Sounds ok I suppose; I at least know where the pub is, even if I haven't been in so couldn't comment on a sheltered area for cancer peddlers like myself. I have to say at those times I might be a little late as I have an early dinner engagement to go to in Holborn which may take me to 7-7.30. Although I'd prefer the Lyceum for the sake of knowing there is a sheltered smoing area. Champion otherwise, at least there are things on the table now (cue infinite arguements, etc...). If I have to smoke on the street so be it.
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Robin S » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Protip: bring cards. We can play Mao, or something equally entertaining (if such a game exists, which I doubt).

Also: it's "Cheshire", not "Cheddar". It's at 145 Fleet Street.
Robin S

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Ha! all this time I've called it the Cheddar. I should probably, you know, read the sign a bit better. It is a rather small sign.

Anyway, I cannot make this Wednesday as I forgot I was pre-booked to have a sexy-time with lady (second cleanest prostitute in all of Kuček). Is nice.
Actually, I just have to babysit Aparjay and Janeeka, the neighbour kids from Heck.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 am UTC

Damnit, I missed this thread. I subscribed to the UK meetups one because it is so seldomly updated and don't really come in here anymore otherwise.
BUT I have a course in London tomorrow through Friday (04/03 - 07/03). I usually work just outside the city.

Let me know, on here or PM, if anyone's interested in having a drink in the evening.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Robin S » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am UTC

Well, this Wednedsay could still go ahead.
Robin S

Postby Plastic Soul » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

I'm in for wednesday on fleet street is it goes ahead. my earlier pub trivia plan has sort of fallen apart, as it's a movie quiz and they're already expecting more teams then they actually have space for.
Plastic Soul

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

I can pop in for a quick one on Wednesday, even though I can't stay long.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo

Postby electoralfraud » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

I'll be there (Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese) as near to six as I can make it if people still plan to go. Could anyone (or someone) turning up please post that they are doing so before 4.30pm; I'd like to try and watch the chelsea game with friends if there isn't any likelihood of people going to this.

If there is to be a turnout I'll be the guy with the short hair, receding hairline (I'm only in my twenties so it's quite distinctive), wearing jeans, an el reg t-shirt (black with a red and white vulture head logo) and a green jacket.

So, if you're planning on turning up could you make it known, and some form of visual distinction or other means of identification would be good because I'd guess it'll be quite busy in there after work.

Hopefully see you there.
electoralfraud
BRUTALLY Bolshy!

Postby Robin S » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:25 am UTC

I fully plan to be there, quite possibly with a friend. I will look something like I do in this photo (just in case you weren't already aware, I'm male). That should be enough to identify me.
Robin S

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am UTC

I don't know what time, probably between 5 and 5:30, but I'll be there for a little bit. "Chunky" white female, dark hair tied back, white blouse and blue trousers. I'll carry my little beanie moocow in my hand too. (as seen in the Scavenger Hunt game).

In fact, I'll probably be there early as the course appears to be just about finished. Will be the saddo sitting somewhere reading a MCTS training textbook.
Moo

Postby Robin S » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

For those who have yet to leave, my mobile number is:

z3r0 53v3n n1n3 z3r0 51x - 31gh7 51x 31gh7 - n1n3 - f1v3 - 7w0

If someone writes a bot to search for 1337 mobile numbers before I get back and remove it from this post, I will be incredibly impressed.

I'll probably be there within the hour. Feel free to let me know when you're coming, so I know to look out for you.
Robin S

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

This go well? Anyone show up? Feedback?

Did you like the labyrinthine intricacies of the Cheshire Cheese as much as I? On Fridays, the Tipperary opposite has a very good fiddler in, who plays all sorts of Irish ditties. It's wonderful. I haven't been there for a year or so, so unsure if the guy still plays there. He let me fiddle with his fiddle, but being the left-handed monodextrous oaf that I am, I couldn't play it.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Moo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Went very well. Moo, RobinS, RobinS's friend (what's his handle again?) and electoralfreud in attendance. Unfortunately I had to leave about two drinks into proceedings. There are pictures! No, I lie, there is picture. Will be uploaded when my Interweb access situation improves, i.e. when I'm no longer on this course all day and out all evening, i.e. Saturday.

So when's the next one?
Moo

Postby Robin S » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Did you like the labyrinthine intricacies of the Cheshire Cheese as much as I?
Indeed. The prices weren't bad either, and the place had a homely feel to it. A+ Would go again.

I've also heard the Lyceum mentioned a couple of times (though I haven't yet been myself), so I'd be interested in going there perhaps for some future meet. One advantage of London meets is that everyone's so near each other that we can hold them frequently and at short notice. Those present yesterday agreed that a Hyde Park meet would be a good idea for the summer. We could have a picnic, among other things; the museums are also very nearby. Also, if ronnie and I haven't found a use for our large quantity of jelly by then, we could bring that along (the park is conveniently close to Imperial campus and my halls of residence).
Robin S

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 am UTC

Sorry if this has been suggested on the thread for it before, that thread kinda got away from me.

I was just wondering... if made up jelly were poured into balloons while still runny, and allowed to set, would it be useful as
a) "Ballpit" balls?
b) Balloon fight ammunition?
c) Trebuchet ammunition?
Moo

Next

Return to XKCD Meetups