Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Plague

Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Postby Plague » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

The world goes into a period of mourning as the people at Maxis push back the Spore release date again.

I for one, have mixed feelings. While I would rather they didn't release the game until it's achieved the greatest amount of awesome possible, I want it now... no matter how crappy they say it is. September is just too long to wait... :(
I had something witty to put here last night, but I forgot because your mom.

rrwoods

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby rrwoods » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

... aaaaand this is precisely why I don't pay attention to release dates. Ever. I didn't even know the Orange Box was out until I saw it plastered all over the windows of Gamestop. I wasn't even AT the Gamestop: I was at the Wendy's across the street.

If you don't look at release dates, you're never disappointed.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Ah well, not much we can do until it comes out...I reckon they should at least release the creature creator demo...that's finished at least, isn't it? [/hope]

I admit, I'm kinda upset it isn't being released in March, as it would've been a great birthday present in April ^_^
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Arg.

I've been waiting for this game since I read a preview for it in an issue of PC Gamer in August 2005!!!! I'm almost not even excited for it anymore.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Vaporware! Vaporware! Vaporware-ware-ware-ware-ware!

(sung to the tune of the really, really old "Superman" theme tune played at the beginning of the extremely old Superman cartoons originally made before we had VCRs then transferred to VHS)
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Plague

Postby Plague » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Stief wrote:I admit, I'm kinda upset it isn't being released in March, as it would've been a great birthday present in April ^_^

I was hoping the same. Also, they were talking about releasing it for the Wii... now it appears that's scrapped to. I suppose I'll have to be buying a hardware update to go along with my brand new shiny Spore.... Of course, now that I've got 7 months to save... >_<

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

And now we watch as Spore goes the way of Duke Nukem Forever. Don't worry, we'll get a teaser trailer in about 7 more years.

krikitarmy

Postby krikitarmy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:35 am UTC

{redacted}
Last edited by krikitarmy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:50 am UTC

I didn't realize they'd ever announced a release date.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:31 am UTC

if it actually comes out that day, then... gather your galoshes, cause apocalypse is on the horizon.
uhhhh fuck.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC

This is the first announced official release date, and that's really what I care about. (It was announced today, by the way, for those who didn't know.)

If you think about it every day until then it'll seem like a long time. If you forget it exists until it's almost September 7th it won't seem very long at all.

Plague

Postby Plague » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I didn't realize they'd ever announced a release date.

Amazon originally carried a Pre-Order date of March 3... which moved back to May 5... which now won't apparently come until September 7...

@ Silver2Falcon: How can you forget spore exists? Honestly, it's the biggest, hottest piece of game ass to come out for anything ever so far...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Amazon can blow me. So can Gamestop.

They always make up release dates based on what someone says in an interview.. usually the comment is something like, "Yeah, we're hoping we can get it out the door by next year, hopefully early spring" and BAM.. they're calling that a March 3rd Release Date or some crap.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Amazon can blow me. So can Gamestop.

They always make up release dates based on what someone says in an interview.. usually the comment is something like, "Yeah, we're hoping we can get it out the door by next year, hopefully early spring" and BAM.. they're calling that a March 3rd Release Date or some crap.

How about an official press release?

akashra

Postby akashra » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:41 am UTC

At least this time it's official, all the other dates you've seen were leaked and weren't officially announced.

And also on the plus side, we get two more revisions of GeForce before release, so we can wait and upgrade to a 10x00 (?) for it.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:38 am UTC

akashra wrote:At least this time it's official, all the other dates you've seen were leaked and weren't officially announced.

And also on the plus side, we get two more revisions of GeForce before release, so we can wait and upgrade to a 10x00 (?) for it.

I seriously doubt Spore's going to need very high end hardware...that would cut out a huge portion of its market base, and it's totally unnecessary considering the style of the game.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 am UTC

I've completely forgotten about Spore. Strange how this seemed pretty neat, and now I don't even register it anymore.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 am UTC

If we ever see this game I seriously doubt it will be as awesome as promised.

Also, Am I the only gamer int he world who isn't looking forward to spore even just a little bit?

Am I the only person who's never really enjoyed Will Wright games?

I can't be the only one.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:If we ever see this game I seriously doubt it will be as awesome as promised.

Also, Am I the only gamer int he world who isn't looking forward to spore even just a little bit?

I can't be the only one.

Are you dissing SimCity? I think you're dissing SimCity. ;-)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Amazon can blow me. So can Gamestop.

How about an official press release?

Thank you, Ted. That was the point.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

People may find this interview (released yesterday) interesting. Apparently, players will be able to jump to any stage of the game. That spoils it a bit, in my opinion. I haven't read the whole thing through yet, but it claims to explain why development has taken so long.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

EdwardJPublius wrote:Also, Am I the only gamer int he world who isn't looking forward to spore even just a little bit?
No. But I am looking forward to it a little bit.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Spore to me seems to be one of those really nice-looking innovative games, that I probably would enjoy playing. It's just a question of how willing I am to fork over the £30 for it when if it is released. Also, I doubt my current rig will run it. I know one of my mates has been really keen on Spore and eagerly awaited its release.

On a global scale, Spore is slightly akin to Manhunt 2 in Britain. Spore's developers are constantly pushing back the release (think I saw it previewed with a nice engine around 2005-2007 in PC Gamer UK), just like the BBFC and Manhunt's developers are battling over whether to ban the game completely, censor some elements, or give it a full unabridged release. Possibly an irrelevant analogy though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

A better comparison would be to Starcraft, for example. Or, really, any Blizzard title.

You can't even begin to make a Duke Nukem comparison until the game's in it's 7th year of development with the company still saying they're working on it.

...Spore was started in 2000?

Alright, so it's somewhat of a valid comparison. Except it'll actually happen. And it wasn't really even officially announced until 2005, making it three years by my count.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

Gah. This had better be the last delay. I've been drooling over Spore for six years now. If the whole content-randomized-database thing works out, it should be incredible.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Shadeofblue

Postby Shadeofblue » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

I can honestly say that this is the first time a new, non-console game has actually interested me. Between this and Starcraft 2, for the first time I'm wondering if my computer is good enough to run a game I want to play :shock:. Well, I've got Riven and Escape Velocity: Override to tide me over until fall :).

I really hope Spore lives up to the hype. It has amazing potential, I'm kind of worried they will hack away features to make the release date to the point that it becomes kind of dull. But I'm optimistic, I think they can do it!

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:Gah. This had better be the last delay. I've been drooling over Spore for six years now. If the whole content-randomized-database thing works out, it should be incredible.

No you haven't...it was announced at E3 2005.

Amazon originally carried a Pre-Order date of March 3... which moved back to May 5... which now won't apparently come until September 7...

@ Silver2Falcon: How can you forget spore exists? Honestly, it's the biggest, hottest piece of game ass to come out for anything ever so far...

Amazon makes guesses--blaming a game development team for not following the release schedule Amazon/other retailers have is just stupid.

And I forget it exists by playing other games--I don't mean actually forget, but I don't obsess over things that aren't out yet and I'm not disappointed when game developers (or just in general, hardware manufacturers, etc.) push their release dates back to make it a better game (or whatever). I have no idea why people keep comparing Spore to Duke Nukem Forever, either. DNF was announced in 1998, Spore was announced in 2005, and it sounds like a lot of that time has been spent seriously polishing the game.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I hope it's at least good, if not able to live up to it's hype.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

I always take the release date that the companies post at first, and add a year to it so I never get dissapointed.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Ishindri wrote:Gah. This had better be the last delay. I've been drooling over Spore for six years now. If the whole content-randomized-database thing works out, it should be incredible.

Really? Wow, it seems like it's been much longer... mea culpa.

Ooh, there's a site with a hands-on preview.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:
Silver2Falcon wrote:

Really? Wow, it seems like it's been much longer... mea culpa.

Ooh, there's a site with a hands-on preview.

Aw man, that would have been a perfect place for a rick roll.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Mmm, I want this game to be good.. but the pessimism inside tells me that its going to turn out to be a plaything that pulls my attention for a bit but I quickly get bored of (like every other Sim game ever). For me, anyway. The release date for this has been plastered everywhere, but really, I don't want to know. I see no point in hyping games up; it only leads to disappointment.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Aw man, that would have been a perfect place for a rick roll.

If rick-rolls were funny maybe...

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:If we ever see this game I seriously doubt it will be as awesome as promised.

I can't be the only one.

You're not. Let's hold hands and skip in the park.

Spore... I dunno. Seems kind of boring to me. Maybe I'm just desensitized by the constant virtual gunfire and require gallons of blood to please myself.

Pai

Postby Pai » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

I love creatures, that's the main reason I'm excited about it. Just making up tons of weird lifeforms is huge fun to me. Then again, I loved Maxis' El-Fish (along with like only 4 other people in the world), and all the old Sim games. If Spore only has a niche appeal, I guess I'm totally in that niche. =P
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

I'm going to love spore because I've loved pretty much all the maxis games. I loved playing simlife, and simearth...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

But did you love SimFarm? Hmmm??

That game was awesome.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I'm not so much excited about the game, as I am excited about new things they're trying in the game, seeing how well certain things work to see how it then goes on to influence other, enjoyable games.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But did you love SimFarm? Hmmm??

That game was awesome.

Never played simfarm. Wasn't that one of the kids games based on the sim franchise?
Simtower was great fun though.

They really made too many sim- games in the 90s.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Never played simfarm. Wasn't that one of the kids games based on the sim franchise?

Nah, that was Sim Town. Sim Farm was a really difficult game actually. I at least managed to make a productive city in Sim City 2000...once...

Return to “Gaming”