Movin' To New England/Hey US accents differ

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Peevish

Movin' To New England/Hey US accents differ

Postby Peevish » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

In May I'll be moving from the San Francisco Bay Area, where I was born and raised, to New England. Specifically Rhode Island.

I'm 24, never been away from California for more than a month or so, have no idea what a real winter looks like, all o' that jazz. I have a personal commitment to staying about 5 months; I have a small loan to pay and I can get the whole thing cleared in about that much time, so my rule is "you live in New England til the debt is gone, then you decide what to do next." Maybe I'll come back to California, maybe I'll stay, maybe I'll find someplace new. But it's going to be almost half a year with none of my familiar safety nets.

Point: I'm sure there are lots of New Englanders here on the fora, what can you tell me about your area? I don't have a car and generally get around by public transit and bike. RIPTA sounds like a decent public transit system, but how's Providence for biking? All of New England interests me, and I don't mind taking a two-hour bus ride to spend a day in Boston (I've always wanted to see Boston, too...). I'm vegan (California, duh), how screwed am I on restaurants? How's the music scene? Has the Newport Folk Festival turned to shit now that it's owned by Dunkin Donuts? I play guitar, how are the open mics? What are the good venues? I don't drink, so where do people go to socialize other than bars? Is the Rhode Island Independent Film Festival any good? And, you know, what am I not asking?

And while we're at it, what are the worthwhile neighborhoods? I've been living in Oakland for 2 years, so I'm sure whatever New England has to throw at me will be easier to handle than the 8th most dangerous city in the country. But still, if there's something I should avoid...

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

eds01

Re: Movin' To New England

Postby eds01 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

I'm over in NY, so I can't answer your questions about places in RI specifically, but I can warn you to get jackets, etc. for the cold weather. From looking at wiki, it apparently doesn't get too cold (only about 20 degree's), but if you're used to warm weather, you're going to be cold.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

New England is awesome. I lived in the New Haven area of Connecticut, so I don't know much about Rhode Island, but if Rhode Island is anything like CT (and I suspect it is) some of my information may prove helpful.

Public Transit: This probably depends more on the city/area you're in, but I think that especially around major cities it's pretty good. Biking is also generally an option, especially if you live close to your job. Most cities (especially in the sustainability-conscious political climate that you see a lot of these days) are getting very bike-friendly.

Folk Music/Open Mics: Again, I don't know much about Rhode Island, but the New Haven Folk Festival was pretty awesome (In 2006, which is the last year I attended (COLLEGE!), they had the Arrogant Worms and Bruce Cockburn (they had some other people, but Cockburn was the headliner, and the Arrogant Worms are the kind of awesome that comes from Canada). I don't really know how open mics are because a) I don't do that stuff myself, and b) I don't know about Rhode Island.

As for the winters: they can be harsh, but they generally (especially closer to the coastline) tend to be more slushy than actually frozen, though it varies from year to year. I remember that people always say "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes" which, while slightly hyperbolic, is more true in New England than California.

One of my favorite things about the New Haven area was being so close to Yale. Most big colleges like that have lots of cool events and concerts that are often free and open to the public. If you're going to be near Brown, you might want to check that out. (Of course, they've probably got similar stuff in California too, so what do I know?)

tl;dr - New England is made of awesome and win. (And Folk music and Ivy League schools)
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

I have spent a fair amount of time visiting Rhode Island. Providence is a fun town. You'll enjoy it. The winter is a little harsher than SF, but then the summer is warmer. It takes some, but it gives some back. Biking is common, boating is like a religion, and history is everywhere you look.

As you think of public transportation, keep in mind Amtrak. It is much more heavily used and readily available from Boston, south to DC. Travel to Boston and Manhattan are easy and relatively cheap. The Acela is great! It's a bit more expensive, but it has fewer stops and attains speeds of 150mph on some stretches. I know, there are higher speed bullet trains elsewhere in the world, but this one is the fastest in the US. The trip to New York is almost painless.

I can't speak for specific neighborhoods. It kind of depends on your budget and your preferences. Your choices are similar to what you would find in SF, albeit a little bit smaller town.

I'm sure that you will find whatever it is you are looking for in the area.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Oh hey I'm from RI. Well, I grew up there anyway, and got the hell out when I turned 18. But that's just because I get claustrophobic in small suburban places. First disclaimer: I don't know much of anything about the more northern places besides Providence, so my information is probably very skewed toward the areas I know.

Travel to places outside RI is pretty easy. There are trains, but of course buses are cheaper. There's a major bus station in the center of Providence. You can actually take the commuter rail into Boston from Providence. I don't remember how much it costs, but it's not expensive.

Travel within RI... it's much, much easier by car than anything else. We have buses, but the routes aren't exactly extensive. Most of the state is very suburban so you can't easily walk anywhere. You could bike, but I'm just saying it would be easiest on you if you could get a cheap car. Whatever area you're in won't be very exciting and you'll probably want to leave often, unless you're in Providence. Providence is the big city of RI, so it's much better about public transportation. I wouldn't say it's especially bike-friendly from what I've seen, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who pull it off. The problem with bikes is that so much of the state is built on highways, centered around I-95. Yes, there are back roads, but the highways are always the most direct routes anywhere.

Providence is probably the most progressive part of RI in terms of things like vegan restaurants (because of Brown) and the music scene. There's a HUGE local music scene, and there are a lot of good venues. The Living Room, Lupo's at the Strand, and Century Lounge are really popular with the smaller rock crowd. Of course, the Dunkin' Donuts Center gets a lot of the big acts and pop music. I know nothing about open mic nights or the Newport Folk Festival. I have an indie-loving friend that interned at the Independent Film Festival though, and she loved it.

Since I moved out at 18 I'm not too familiar with where the 21+ crowds hang out. ZeroSum can probably help you more with that. Providence Place Mall is obviously popular with the teenagers, and it's a good central place for meeting and stuff. There are a fair number of little coffee shops. When I lived there most of what we did was hanging out at the mall or the movies, hanging out at friends' houses, or walking around the nicer villages. Newport is gorgeous and fun to walk through, and has a ton of nice restaurants and cute places. Wickford is a little village (basically one main street) that's cute and could easily take up a day of wandering. There's also a lot of nature around, so there's hiking and some bike paths. There are some parks, although off the top of my head, I only know one, Goddard Park, in Warwick. And since it's a very coastal state, there are boating rentals everywhere. My personal favorite is kayaking.

As for neighborhoods, from what you've said I'd probably recommend Providence. It can get annoying there, what with all the Brown students, but it has the best public transportation, the best music scene, the best food. But I'd definitely stick with downtown Providence. I know East Providence gets a terrible rap (from my mom), and I doubt North Providence is any better. A bus map would probably tell you more than I could about the places that are more and less accessible... Warwick isn't bad, but stay away from West Warwick (just... trust me, stay away, it's like the fake ghetto of RI). The more southern towns like North/South Kingstown, Kingston, and Narragansett are nice and affordable (as long as you're not just there for the summer or living right on the water), but don't have much public transportation. Out-of-the-way places like Smithfield and Cumberland, you HAVE to have a car if you want to get anywhere. Obviously anywhere coastal is going to be more expensive, so while Newport is easy to get around it's not at all affordable.

As for weather... well, it has 4 seasons. It gets pretty hot in the summer, but usually not over 90. It rains a fair amount. It snows in winter, but rarely goes below 20 during the day. So it's a big range, and yes, huge changes can happen in a week, but the forecasts are reliable and it's not too bad really. That said, the weather is another factor that would make bike riding an undesirable method of getting around.

Okay, I might add more later but that's all I can think of now. I hope it helps!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Helps immensely, to be sure.

A car is pretty much out of the question, out of my price range, out of my interest. Haven't been a driver in over a year, don't have much interest in becoming one again. Stressful! If I have to stick near the bus routes so be it.

The timelock I've given myself is roughly 5 months, so there's the off-chance of me being gone before the winter hits, but I guess I should be prepared for it. About how early in the year does one see snowfall? I've been in real snow maybe twice.

The SF Bay isn't your typical California, it's fogged in most of the time and a lot of cold air comes in off the bay. We rarely get hotter than the 80s and that's only in our annual Indian Summers. But we don't go below the high 40s, so the cold season's going to be something else.

Providence is the place I've been eying, as I was looking into RISD as a top-choice school before I balked and went to school nearer to home. I'm not too worried about cost, the SF Bay Area is the most expensive area in the entire country. Wherever I go it'll be cheaper than here.

So New England's a bunch of stuff all squashed together, and at the start I'm going to have a lot of free time, what with no friends made just yet. What else should I check out? I want to see Boston, and at some point I'll probably spend a day in New York, and I've been told there's worthwhile stuff up in Vermont. I want to take in the whole of New England, so what else should I keep an eye out for? You Connecticut people, what do you ante up?

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I'm a bit further north of RI, and we've had it snow in April and October in the past. Might be a bit milder down there, but if winter has taught me anything, it's to always keep my snow tires handy.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:24 am UTC

To the OP:

I feel sorry for you. All those Northeast accents are horrible. The people are rude, mean tempered, and absolutely horrible drivers.

The countryside itself, outside of the cities, is really nice. Sadly, however, the Northeast is full of yankees.

I lived in Pennsylvania, in a suburb of Philadelphia for three years, and I found all this out. I couldn't stand the Northeast. The Midwest and the South are so much better.

I'd suggest staying where you are, or moving to the Midwest.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

zten

Postby zten » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Peevish wrote:The timelock I've given myself is roughly 5 months, so there's the off-chance of me being gone before the winter hits, but I guess I should be prepared for it. About how early in the year does one see snowfall? I've been in real snow maybe twice.

Thanksgiving through March is the usual snow zone up here.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I grew up in Connecticut, the only real social scene seemed to revolve around bars. The entire region has a rich, cultural heritage of alcoholism. Still, I'm not saying other scenes don't exist, just that you'll have to put some effort into finding them.

As for food though, there are quite a good variety of restaurants including vegan places, at least where I was.

Best of luck?

wst

Postby wst » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:I grew up in Connecticut

I always thought it was some kind of massive network/internet junction box/hub thing. Why the hell has it got such a weird name?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

Peevish wrote:RIPTA sounds like a decent public transit system
It's not.
how's Providence for biking?
Depends. The artsy part of Providence is all hilly, but if you bike around stereotypical San Francisco already you'll be fine. Walking, however, is totally doable.
I don't mind taking a two-hour bus ride to spend a day in Boston
As lanicita said, there's a major train station in the middle of Providence. I believe you can bus to the major bus terminal. You could definitely bike there, but I don't know what you'd do with the bike. It'd probably be easier to just have someone drive you there.
I'm vegan (California, duh), how screwed am I on restaurants?
Not terribly. There's Garden Grille in Pawtucket, which is most excellent. I don't know any other vegan restaurants, but I'm sure most of the places on Thayer Street (indie-land in the middle of Providence) will have decent options to cater to all the RISD kids.
How's the music scene?
Not bad, like lanicita said. The RISD and Brown kids tend to keep it alive.
Has the Newport Folk Festival turned to shit now that it's owned by Dunkin Donuts?
Dunno, haven't gone lately, though I've heard no complaints.
I play guitar, how are the open mics?
AS220.
What are the good venues?
Like lanicita said, plus AS220. (How could she miss that!?)
I don't drink, so where do people go to socialize other than bars?
I wish I knew. Seriously, though, I don't socialize like normal people, but I know that Thayer Street has a lot of people.
Is the Rhode Island Independent Film Festival any good?
RI has an Independent Film Festival? Though, if you want to see good indie flicks there's the Avon and the Cable Car, both in Providence.
And, you know, what am I not asking?
Depends. What'll you be doing for a job?

And while we're at it, what are the worthwhile neighborhoods? I've been living in Oakland for 2 years, so I'm sure whatever New England has to throw at me will be easier to handle than the 8th most dangerous city in the country. But still, if there's something I should avoid...
Sounds like Smith Hill or East Side of Providence should do you well. East Side being better, but slightly more expensive. If you do end up getting a car, then Warwick and EG are both nice. Some parts of West Warwick are okay. (I live in West Warwick now.)

Peevish wrote:If I have to stick near the bus routes so be it.
It's doable, but I wouldn't want to live in RI without a car. The bus doesn't run very smoothly, but if you just stick in Providence you should be okay.
About how early in the year does one see snowfall? I've been in real snow maybe twice.
We usually don't get anything that sticks until at least November. And usually don't get anything that sticks in March.
Wherever I go it'll be cheaper than here.
Apartments in Providence are anywhere from 300 to 700 a room, with 400 per room getting you a pretty nice two or three bedroom.
What else should I check out? I want to see Boston, and at some point I'll probably spend a day in New York, and I've been told there's worthwhile stuff up in Vermont. I want to take in the whole of New England, so what else should I keep an eye out for? You Connecticut people, what do you ante up?
Boston, Vermont, New Hampshire, Newport, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Salem, Mystic (CT).

Adalwolf wrote:I feel sorry for you. All those Northeast accents are horrible.
Not everyone in New England has a terrible accent. Only Boston and Cranston.
The people are rude, mean tempered
New York, not Boston or RI.
absolutely horrible drivers.
Yep, but that doesn't matter if you walk because walkers have right of way. Biking, however, you have to follow the same rules as any on-road vehicle and things get trickier.
Northeast is full of yankees.
Obvious prejudice, much?

Don't forget that Boston has the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Science!.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:Lots of mean stuff about New Englanders

Hey! We're nicer than that. Besides, if you're the kind of person who gets worked up over an accent, we don't want you anyway.

As for CT, again, check out Yale. They've got tons of stuff. Also, the New Haven Arts and Ideas festival is really pretty awesome, so check that out if you're looking for stuff to do in CT. There's probably a bunch of other cool stuff going on around the other larger cities, but I only really know the New Haven area since that's where I lived and I didn't make a habit of going around to other areas of the state unless something really awesome was happening.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

spi

Postby spi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

It looks like there is one Zipcar location in Providence(near Brown). So that would be an option to make some day trips more affordable and accessible.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
What are the good venues?
Like lanicita said, plus AS220. (How could she miss that!?)

D'oh. I knew I'd leave something out. In my defense, I've never been there because my mom didn't like me being in Providence at night. The only reason I know about any of the venues is from hearing my friends talk about how awesome they were :(
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

The buses in RI all (or nearly all) have bike racks on the front, so combining biking w/ busing is a valid option to extend your range.

Thayer St on the east side & Wickiden St are both great sources of interesting little stores, restaurants, etc. downtown Providence also has some surprisingly good venues.

I lived there about 10 years ago for school, and is the only place I miss living in. If you are willing to do some looking you can find a lot of things to do there.

Oh and GO TO WATERFIRE. This is not an option, it is very cool. I lived there when it was in its first year. I used to walk around in full tophat & tails, just for the fun of it.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:I feel sorry for you. All those Northeast accents are horrible. The people are rude, mean tempered, and absolutely horrible drivers.

Yay for clueless twits. Thankfully for the north east, there is one fewer of them living here.

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

T from Providence to Boston is ~1hr, $15.50 round trip. Schedule works out much better for returning to Providence in the evening than it does for returning to Boston in the evening. You can take your bike on the commuter rail except during rush hour on weekdays; biking's not a bad way to explore Boston but if you're used to bike lanes you'll need to learn lane control :)

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 am UTC

You will be cold. Pack Buy warm clothes until you get used to:
Us: Oh, it's so nice out today!
You: But it's 56! *shiver*
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 am UTC

...56 is nice weather...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:45 am UTC

Adalwolf wrote:To the OP:
I feel sorry for you. All those Northeast accents are horrible. The people are rude, mean tempered, and absolutely horrible drivers.
The countryside itself, outside of the cities, is really nice. Sadly, however, the Northeast is full of yankees.
I lived in Pennsylvania, in a suburb of Philadelphia for three years, and I found all this out. I couldn't stand the Northeast. The Midwest and the South are so much better.
I'd suggest staying where you are, or moving to the Midwest.

Fuck you.

*this has been another edition of Meaux_Pas, proving you right! Thank you for tuning in.

Peevish,
I grew up in the Boston area, went to College in Rhode Island, and moved back to Boston afterward. I lived in Narragansett, which may be the prettiest place ever, but it's really spread out down there and one definitely needs a car. I had friends in Providence and we are the drinking and meat-eating types, but I can definitely second Thayer Street for the coolness factor no matter what you're into. I went to a few concerts in Providence, and I recommend that scene. Lupo's at the Strand hosts a lot of pretty good bands, and the food in RI doesn't suck, but that's coming from a non-vegan. If you head to 'gansett at any point, you absolutely must check out Crazy Burger. And if you come up to Boston, there's about a billion XKCDians, at least one of whom will show you around. Most of us practice non-regional diction and basic human kindness, whatever Adalwolf says. Newport is pretty but I never found anything particularly awesome to do there, unless you're into geology. There are a lot of cool metamorphic rocks, and this long cliff walk on the shore that is definitely worth a look.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Adalwolf wrote:I feel sorry for you. All those Northeast accents are horrible. The people are rude, mean tempered, and absolutely horrible drivers.

Yay for clueless twits. Thankfully for the north east, there is one fewer of them living here.

I'm not clueless. I lived in the Northeast, and I found what I said to be generally true. There were exceptions, but the average vibe from walking down the street, or at the mall, or anywhere was 'fuck off'. I should have, however, said that there exceptions in my first post, but most people seemed fairly rude and mean tempered. It was better in the suburbs than than in the cities, however.

Meaux_Pas wrote:Fuck you.

*this has been another edition of Meaux_Pas, proving you right! Thank you for tuning in.

Peevish,
I grew up in the Boston area, went to College in Rhode Island, and moved back to Boston afterward. I lived in Narragansett, which may be the prettiest place ever, but it's really spread out down there and one definitely needs a car. I had friends in Providence and we are the drinking and meat-eating types, but I can definitely second Thayer Street for the coolness factor no matter what you're into. I went to a few concerts in Providence, and I recommend that scene. Lupo's at the Strand hosts a lot of pretty good bands, and the food in RI doesn't suck, but that's coming from a non-vegan. If you head to 'gansett at any point, you absolutely must check out Crazy Burger. And if you come up to Boston, there's about a billion XKCDians, at least one of whom will show you around. Most of us practice non-regional diction and basic human kindness, whatever Adalwolf says. Newport is pretty but I never found anything particularly awesome to do there, unless you're into geology. There are a lot of cool metamorphic rocks, and this long cliff walk on the shore that is definitely worth a look.

As I said above, there were exceptions, but my general experience was fairly negative in my time in the Northeast. Plus, as I was born in the South, and lived in the Midwest (and live there again, hell yeah!), I had negative thoughts about the Northeast moving there, and the people there had negative thoughts about me. I ignored it though and stuck it out until I moved back to the midwest. Since the OP said he was moving to the Northeast, I thought I'd give him my honest opinion.

Oh, and screw you, yank. You didn't prove one thing.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 am UTC

I could always crash my car into your house, if you like.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 am UTC

But the Midwest is full of people who talk funny and call you "dear" in restaurants. I'll take "How to move back to the East Coast" for $500, please.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I could always crash my car into your house, if you like.

Do you know how angry I would be if you, well, if anyone really did that? I don't think I'd control my temper. I don't think I'd even try to.

But since you are a damn yankee it is expected that you be a bad driver-but doesn't excuse it.

@Betty:

Some of the northern Midwest people do talk a bit funny, but I rather listen to it for 100 years than listen to 1 year of New York, or Boston accents.

Some do call you 'dear' in restaurants, but I find nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it, don't live here. I don't live in the northeast anymore-and never will again.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 am UTC

What does sarcasm sound like as it goes whooshing by, Adalwolf?

Oh dear, I do believe I've picked up some of that New England snarkiness.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Adalwolf. Please stop talking. Your blatant and overly hostile predjudice isn't simply getting old, it started out unbearable.

You're a closed minded bigot. We get it. You can stop now.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Adalwolf. Please stop talking. Your blatant and overly hostile predjudice isn't simply getting old, it started out unbearable.

You're a closed minded bigot. We get it. You can stop now.

Oh come on.

I gave my honest opinion of the Northeast, as the OP is moving there. I figured he (or she?) might want some honest feedback from people who lived in the Northeast.

Here's a nice thing about the Northeast: The countryside is beautiful. Happy?

Not everyone from the northeast is a jerk and a bad driver, maybe not even most-but from my experience they seemed to be the majority.

So now I can't give my honest opinions because you don't like them? Well, tough.

@ picturesarah: Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the 'net. No voice inflections, body language, etc. Usually smileys or something are used to indicate it. I also don't visit this forum often enough to know its idiosyncrasies. So, sorry.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 am UTC

Adalwolf wrote:@ picturesarah: Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the 'net. No voice inflections, body language, etc. Usually smileys or something are used to indicate it. I also don't visit this forum often enough to know its idiosyncrasies. So, sorry.

So, what....? You were honestly expecting Meaux to drive her car into your house?

Also, when you give blanket statements like "those people suck" and then say it's your "honest opinion", you kinda come across as a bigot. Just a tip.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Having spent significant amounts of time in Arizona, Los Angeles, Florida, and all over the North East I can say for certain:

The people in the north east aren't the worst drivers, they're some of the best. The worst I've experienced are in Arizona, particularly on the interstate that stretches from Phoenix to Tuscon.

The people in the north east aren't the meanest, not by a long shot. Less open to strangers, yes, but far nicer than the people in either the Florida pan handle or in LA on the whole.

Accents?

You are aware that the New England accent is basically the national standard, yes? That every TV broadcaster initially spoke with our accent and that its the norm. Boston accents, Brooklyn accents, etc are removed from the standard new england accent and are as strange to someone in rhode island or connecticut as a southern drawl or midwest twang. Nevermind the fact that hating an area for its accent is absurd. It simply wasn't what you were used to.

You were and are a closed minded bigot.

Kindly remove yourself from this thread.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 am UTC

In all seriousness, my first impression upon moving to New England from California was much the same as Adalwolf's. The people were hostile, the drivers were predatory, the weather sucks. I have since met many lovely New Englanders, Meaux Pas among them, and realized that the rudeness of the people is generally not intended as rudeness, it's just their manner - they are for the most part very busy, no-nonsense people. It's certainly not personal. I get around the craziness of the drivers by not driving, Boston has a good, reliable public transportation system. The weather still sucks. Overall, I still prefer California. I can't help it, I was born and raised there. Boston has grown on me, though. Much like mold. There are a lot of reasons to live in New England. The architecture is beautiful, the art scene is thriving in all mediums, the cities have very young, vibrant populations for the most part because of the plethora of institutions of higher learning, there's lots of great food and museums and things to do. I've developed a fondness for the local accents and fanaticism over local sports teams. It's not a bad place to be, but it's most definitely a culture shock. It's taken me nearly 4 years to settle in.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Fossa wrote:You are aware that the New England accent is basically the national standard, yes? That every TV broadcaster initially spoke with our accent and that its the norm. Boston accents, Brooklyn accents, etc are removed from the standard new england accent and are as strange to someone in rhode island or connecticut as a southern drawl or midwest twang. Nevermind the fact that hating an area for its accent is absurd. It simply wasn't what you were used to.
You were and are a closed minded bigot.
Kindly remove yourself from this thread.

Or at the very least, stop hitting enter so much so I can scroll past you more easily.

I will say that the worst New England accent flavor might just be the Rhode Island flavor. My college roommate was from Cranston (and granted, I met many other people from Cranston who did not sound like her) and she had the most irritating accents ever. ALMOST as bad as the girls from Lon Giland who populated my college.
Most of the people I associate with do not have Boston accents. I don't think any of the cambervillains do, really... but I could be desensitized. My Connecticut friends lapse into New York accents more often than Boston accents, and Vermont and New Hampshire are in no way offensive, accent wise.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:52 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:In all seriousness, my first impression upon moving to New England from California was much the same as Adalwolf's. The people were hostile, the drivers were predatory, the weather sucks. I have since met many lovely New Englanders, Meaux Pas among them, and realized that the rudeness of the people is generally not intended as rudeness, it's just their manner - they are for the most part very busy, no-nonsense people. It's certainly not personal. I get around the craziness of the drivers by not driving, Boston has a good, reliable public transportation system. The weather still sucks. Overall, I still prefer California. I can't help it, I was born and raised there. Boston has grown on me, though. Much like mold. There are a lot of reasons to live in New England. The architecture is beautiful, the art scene is thriving in all mediums, the cities have very young, vibrant populations for the most part because of the plethora of institutions of higher learning, there's lots of great food and museums and things to do. I've developed a fondness for the local accents and fanaticism over local sports teams. It's not a bad place to be, but it's most definitely a culture shock. It's taken me nearly 4 years to settle in.

Ah ha! See!

Anyways. I only spent 3 years, so maybe I needed another year or two to settle in.
But, thankfully, I moved away, and I don't intend on going back. Ever. I don't even want to visit.
@meaux

When I hear northeast accent, I think Boston (paaahk he caaah), New York, etc.
And no, I don't hate the region because of the accent-though that is a small negative for the region. The accents, coupled with everything else, made me hate the region.

Edit times 2: Actually I thought many newscasters had the midwest accent...
Last edited by Adalwolf on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:11 am UTC

Please stop trolling the thread?
Everyone else, PDNFTT?
Thanks.

Unforunately my absolute favorite thing in Vermont, ever, is not around any more for you to see. It's very nice to take a day trip (or longer) up to Brattleboro and rent kayaks or whatever, but you can actually do that sort of thing in several parts of MA too. So I dunno.

Definitely come hang with us cybervillains.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 am UTC

Ooh, ooh, can I jump on the bandwagon, too? :D

Summary: I'm from Texas.

You're wrong.

Screw you.

Houston drivers will kill your ass dead. Southern bitches will be nice to your face and fuck you over behind your back. People suck. Everywhere.
You don't make them touch!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:24 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...56 is nice weather...

No, a dry heat of 94 Fahrenheit is nice weather.

I've developed a fondness for the local accents and fanaticism over local sports teams.

They threatened to kill you unless you became a Red Sox fan, didn't they?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
PictureSarah wrote: I've developed a fondness for the local accents and fanaticism over local sports teams.

They threatened to kill you unless you became a Red Sox fan, didn't they?

I have a tendency to do that, yes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:...56 is nice weather...

No, a dry heat of 94 Fahrenheit is nice weather.

Yeah, if you're a lizard.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:Edit times 2: Actually I thought many newscasters had the midwest accent...
Your local newscasters in the Midwest certainly will.

But the national broadcasters in recent memory tend to have that neutral accent that well spoken people from anywhere in the Washington DC - Chicago - Boston triangle share. Which wasn't terribly surprising since a lot of the national broadcasts originated out of New York.

That triangle isn't likely to shock any of our resident linguists - it surrounds the Mid-Atlantic Region. And that region's accent is the closest regional accent to the general American accent, making it the highest common denominator of sorts. And it's very closely related to the northern midland accent, which runs westward sandwiched below the Fargo-esque North-Central and Northern Cities accent and the Southern accents.

But in all reality, people trained in public speaking are taught to minimize their regional affectations.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I will say that the worst New England accent flavor might just be the Cranston, Rhode Island flavor.
Hell. Yes.

You can fake a Brooklyn, or Boston accent, and after years of training may be able to even trick a native. There is no way to do a Cranston accent justice. Imagine if Fran Drescher had a child with South Boston and the child had Down syndrome, but more annoying.

W.T.N.

Return to “General”