Experimentation

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Experimentation

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Okay, so I can follow a recipie and do it fairly well if I want to, but with cooking, I far prefer experimenting with various things I think will work well together. This thread is for everyones similar (mis)adventures in the kitchen, I suppose when they do not involve bacon anyway. Or on the barbecue or whatever. As long as it's food beforehand, I suppose it doesn't need to be food after to merit posting. My first real try at this was the macaroni cheese pizza.

Anyway, I'll start off with my midnight snack of Canned Baked Beans with Ice Cream:

Spoiler:

Step 1: heat beans as per instructions on can
Step 2: add scoop of ice cream
Step 3: Eat before temperatures even out too much.

So, what crazy things have you people made...?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Experimentation

Postby hyperion » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

:shock:
I didn't think it was possible, but that is even more horrifying than bacon cookies.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby Moo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Yeah, that was... odd... you don't say how it tasted.

Is the thread only for weird experimentation? 'Cause I follow the "uhm, that should work in there, right?" method of cooking all of the time. Usually followed by the "drats, better find something else to balance that out!" approach. Works quite well most of the time though, on balance.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Well, honestly, although the small modification type things are useful, I'm mainly talking about the ones that have a big effect. Like for example if you put a few hot chillis in something that doesnt normally have them, that probably counts.

Also, the baked beans and ice cream was great. People put milk/cream in soup all the time, this is fairly similar, just with a temperature difference. Some guy on IRC said the pic made him feel sick or something, but the real version had no effect like that.

I guess I just like seeing peoples reactions when I make something that goes against their basic principles of cooking.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby 22/7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

I regularly mix baked beans and mac and cheese (after they accidentally mixed on my plate one day when my dinner was, you guessed it, a can of baked beans and a box of mac and cheese). They actually complement each other quite nicely.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

I very much enjoy fried sausage with my pasta.

I have a spice cabinet. I use it often, frequently at great failure, occasionally at mind melting success. Thyme, Paprika, turmeric, rosemary, basil, and oregano are staples. I don't know how to use them, but I do.

Lately i've been on a texture kick. Like, something chewy with something crunchy. An example is cheese blocks in crispy salad.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby ronnie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Oats + Rice + Lentils = Uberporridge

It was surprisingly nice actually, most people thought I was a crazy person for doing it when I mentioned it, but, especially with the quantity that I cooked, it has loads of calories and protein.
ronnie

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I have a spice cabinet. I use it often, frequently at great failure, occasionally at mind melting success. Thyme, Paprika, turmeric, rosemary, basil, and oregano are staples. I don't know how to use them, but I do.

Marge Simpson wrote:Oregano? What the hell?

With the exception of turmeric, you have some of the basic spices needed for homemade spaghetti sauce. Use one large can of tomato puree and one small can of tomato paste. You just need some minced garlic or garlic powder, chopped bell peppers and onions, sliced mushrooms (optional, as are the peppers and onions), and meat, also optional.

Cook on high heat until heated through.

Cookie (from Disney's "Atlantis: The Lost Empire") wrote:Cilantro? What in the cockadoodle is cilantro?

I have had a lot of spices I never used except once. I bought it for one particular dish, then let it sit in the spice box (I used an old ice tray from a refrigerator that had an automatic ice maker) for months or years on end, and I'd forget why I bought it.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Baked beans and ice cream sounds intriguing, and it looks nice. I might have to try it; although I rarely have either around the house, I'm a big fan of baked beans. Sarah and I did a *sort* of macaroni and cheese pizza a while ago, although it had only sliced tomato, no tomato sauce. It also had alfalfa sprouts. It was weird but tasty.

I like chocolate chip cookies in chicken noodle soup. I haven't had it in years and years, but it combines savory and sweet while also giving you the crunch that oyster crackers or saltines would add to the soft soup ingredients.

I went through some very unsuccessful experiments trying to make curries before I actually sat down and read through some stuff on Indian cooking techniques. The sauces are a lot more complicated than I expected. One of the easiest things to experiment with is a basic marinara sauce; you can think up any combination of meat, beans, fish, vegetables, spices and herbs to add and it's usually at least passable. Frozen corn, for example, is good if you just are trying to throw something in the pot to make your meal more than pasta and tomato.

Izawwlgood wrote:fried sausage with my pasta ... cheese blocks in crispy salad

If this is your idea of experimentation, I can't imagine what you consider normal.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby SilentSigil » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

My cookware was limited to a microwave at the time, and I wanted to make something that would last me about a week...

I had rice and some parsley, and instead of chicken I opted for imitation crab meat. It cooked out alright, actually, with some soy sauce, but....

only the first few bowls were edible... I doubt anyone wants the specifics of this sad abortion, so I'll leave the story at that...
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.
SilentSigil

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:If this is your idea of experimentation, I can't imagine what you consider normal.

Your face!!! Lame retort for lame dig. Those were offhand examples. EDIT: Wait, was that a dig? I can't even tell what you meant.

Sauces, soups, and anything that simmers may fall prey to my spice rack.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

In a nutshell: I was poking you with a stick for fun and profit.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Nath » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Follow these instructions. Do not stop to think about them.

Fry an egg. Salt and pepper it.
Spread some butter on a slice of bread.
Spread some jam on another slice of bread. Pineapple is traditional, but I tend to use orange marmalade.
Place the egg on the buttered slice of bread. Squirt some ketchup on it. Yes, ketchup.
Squirt some more ketchup on it.
Finish the sandwich with the jammed bread.
Eat the sandwich.

There are variations. You can add cheese. You can add chili sauce. You can remove the butter. The essential ingredients are bread, egg, jam, and ketchup.
Nath

Postby Aleril » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

I just remember hearing about people who like Peanut butter and banana sandwhiches and thought that was the weirdest thing. Fortunately I had one and LOVED it.

Beyond that, I find anything is good with Italian salad dressing.

Oh, and chocolate syrup hamburgers. Good times.
Aleril
Le Rail

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:I just remember hearing about people who like Peanut butter and banana sandwhiches and thought that was the weirdest thing. Fortunately I had one and LOVED it.

Now try one fried. On second thought, don't. Supposedly that was Elvis' favorite food. One time I tried a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich. Not marshmallow fluff, the stuff that comes in a jar(fluffernutter), but actual marshmallows. The big ones.

Aleril wrote:Oh, and chocolate syrup hamburgers. Good times.

I remember making chocolate syrup sandwiches.

1. Take two slices of bread
2. Pour chocolate syrup on both slices
3. Close pieces together, chocolate sides against each other
4. ???
5. PROFIT!!!!

It was really good for a while, since we had the honey wheat bread.
PRG

PatrickRsGhost

Postby 22/7 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Anyone had fried egg on a hamburger before (in the same way lettuce, tomato, etc. would be used)? I hear they're pretty good and aren't uncommon in Central American countries.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

If you ever find yourself at Red Robin (burger chain), they serve that. It's quite tasty.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby The Reaper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

If you for some odd reason decide to microwave white chocolate (don't do it), it makes a wee little volcano. Upon some digging, you discover a treasure trove of brown substance at the bottom. You vainly hope that this substance is sugar crystals. You taste.

Ugh! That burnt chocolate was tainted. You feel deathly sick.
You have died. Identify you possessions? (Y/N) Y.

No, seriously. That taste somehow travels from your tongue to your nose, where it proceeds to set up its base of attack on your system. It takes minutes for the anguish to go away. Doesn't taste good in the slightest. Don't do it.

Uncooked ramen, however, is awesome, just makes you a little thirsty. Add chili powder to the flavor packet.
The Reaper

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 am UTC

22/7 wrote:Anyone had fried egg on a hamburger before (in the same way lettuce, tomato, etc. would be used)? I hear they're pretty good and aren't uncommon in Central American countries.

Over here, it is not a real hamburger without fried egg.
hermaj

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:51 am UTC

when making marinara sauce, i just kinda go through the pantry. i'll taste it and think "hmm needs a flavor boost--ooh, soy sauce. salty and flavorful!"

it works.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby 22/7 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:59 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
22/7 wrote:Anyone had fried egg on a hamburger before (in the same way lettuce, tomato, etc. would be used)? I hear they're pretty good and aren't uncommon in Central American countries.

Is that mostly an East Coast thing? I didn't notice it in Perth. Then again, I don't really remember eating hamburgers in Perth (except at the Little Creatures Brewery, Oh me yarm, I need to change pants just thinking about it). I was poor enough that I was mostly eating spaghetti with some butter and parmesan cheese.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:
hermaj wrote:

Is that mostly an East Coast thing? I didn't notice it in Perth. Then again, I don't really remember eating hamburgers in Perth (except at the Little Creatures Brewery, Oh me yarm, I need to change pants just thinking about it). I was poor enough that I was mostly eating spaghetti with some butter and parmesan cheese.

Hehe, I had to double take when you said East Coast to make sure you got my country right, because we never really refer to it as that. Normally it is Western Australia (which takes up the whole west side of the country) and the Eastern States, I guess. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if it's specific to any part of the country. I haven't been to Perth, I've only been to Queensland and I am pretty sure they have egg on their hamburgers there. Note: I am talking about a "real" hamburger that you would get at a pub or at a milk bar. They don't put egg on them at McDonalds or anything like that, though I believe they do at Hungry Jacks, which is another fast food place.
hermaj

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Generally theres egg on hamburgers around here I think. And the "Aussie" pizza is the one with egg...

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

There is a little grease-hole by the bars near my school which serves this exclusively to the drunken masses after midnight. They are suprisingly good when sober too.
John Hancock
Steve

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

It annoys me how some people will refuse to eat or automatically go "UEY!" if food isn't made in the exact way that they are used to.
However I would like to warn people against making porridge with chocolate milk. I know that it seems like a good idea, but the results have so far, depending a bit on what kind of chocolate milk we have been dealing with, been rather ueyish.
Brainssss
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby MrMirth » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I used to do this thing when I was something like 10, when I would got some money for doing chores or somthing, I'd go down to one of those supercheap stores with everthing mark "made in china" and buy a pack of marshmallows, some cheap, cheap chocolate and nuts of some variety. Then I'd chop the marshmallow, crush the nuts and mix it all up in a glass cup or microwave safe bowl and zap in in the microwave. when it came out I'd mixit up so the marshamllow combines with the choloate and creates a sticky brown mess, then freeze it and eat it the next day. I remember it tasting good but haven't done it in 6 years or so.
MrMirth

Postby cypherspace » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:08 pm UTC

There's a pub near me that serves a Full English burger, which has bacon, baked beans, fried mushrooms and a fried egg on it. It's very hard to eat but it is bloody delicious. I made one myself at home not long ago.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"
cypherspace

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

My recent burger related addiction:

Grill up 1 burger (make it thick and cook it slow so as not to ruin it)
While the burger grills, crack 1 egg, some chopped onion, bell pepper and a splash of milk. Beat and fry into a mini-omelette.

As burger finishes, top with 2 slices of pepperjack cheese, toast buns.

Remove burger, place omelette on top of cheese and top omelette with Newman's Own Pinapple Salsa.

Eat.
John Hancock
Steve

Postby hyperion » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Steve wrote:Newman's Own Pinapple Salsa.

WTF is so wrong with someone that they come up with this?!
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.
hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby Zohar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:
Steve wrote:Newman's Own Pinapple Salsa.

WTF is so wrong with someone that they come up with this?!

What are you talking about? I never tried that particular brand, but what's wrong with sweet and spicy? It's a heavenly combination! Just think of a spicy Thai noodle dish cooked with sweet coconut milk... Hmmm... Coconut... *drool*

It's very common in Israel to eat watermellon with salted cheese (specifically what we call here "Bulgarian cheese", which is similar to feta, I think). Very good. And if you think it's strange, what about people who eat bacon (or that Italian equivalent I forgot the name of) with melon? Very traditional dishes.
Responsible wealthy people inspect their funds by occasionally taking baths in their coins.
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Precisely. It is not supposed to be a 'Oh me yarm burn my mouth off' salsa, just something with a little kick and the sweet of fruit to back it up. The real question is what demented soul thought putting ketchup (catsup, katchup) on a burger? Salsas ftw.
John Hancock
Steve

Postby hermaj » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:55 am UTC

I think tangy ketchup can be nice? I am not big on tomato sauce but there's a spicy one here - can't remember who makes it - and it is tangy and delicious.
hermaj

Postby Nath » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I think tangy ketchup can be nice? I am not big on tomato sauce but there's a spicy one here - can't remember who makes it - and it is tangy and delicious.

Maggi? Maggi has some awesome spicy ketchuppey things. Though that might just be for the South Asian market.
Nath

Postby hermaj » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 am UTC

Hmmm, I don't think it is Maggi, my family never really buys Maggi stuff for some reason. It might be Heinz. I'll have a look next time I'm at the supermarket.

Speaking of Maggi though, has anyone tried Maggi bottled seasoning (this stuff) on anything? That is an experiment and a half. :P It tastes like liquid Vegemite.
hermaj

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Hmmm, I don't think it is Maggi, my family never really buys Maggi stuff for some reason. It might be Heinz. I'll have a look next time I'm at the supermarket.

Heinz 57?

There's also cocktail sauce, which is like ketchup, but with horseradish mixed in. It's often served with shrimp or other shellfish, or sometimes with any seafood (including fish):

PRG

PatrickRsGhost

Postby 22/7 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Hehe, I had to double take when you said East Coast to make sure you got my country right, because we never really refer to it as that. Normally it is Western Australia (which takes up the whole west side of the country) and the Eastern States, I guess. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if it's specific to any part of the country. I haven't been to Perth, I've only been to Queensland and I am pretty sure they have egg on their hamburgers there. Note: I am talking about a "real" hamburger that you would get at a pub or at a milk bar. They don't put egg on them at McDonalds or anything like that, though I believe they do at Hungry Jacks, which is another fast food place.

Yeah, I only picked up some of the lingo while I was there (though I still get yelled at by my engineering friends for saying "on" instead of "over" when talking about division), so we referred to them as the east and west coasts. Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't expect to find it at an international chain or anything, I was just curious if you knew if it was regional or if I just flat-out missed out while I was there. I only went to Hungry Jack's maybe once or twice, but I never noticed it there. I should really pay more attention to that kind of thing the next time I'm that way.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:15 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
hermaj wrote:Hmmm, I don't think it is Maggi, my family never really buys Maggi stuff for some reason. It might be Heinz. I'll have a look next time I'm at the supermarket.

Heinz 57?

There's also cocktail sauce, which is like ketchup, but with horseradish mixed in. It's often served with shrimp or other shellfish, or sometimes with any seafood (including fish):

No, I'm pretty sure it's not either of those. Gah! I hate my memory sometimes. I think that the bottle had either a white and green label or a black label. I could tell you what the sauce itself looked like on the plate, but that is not going to help you unless you want to get kicked out of a supermarket. :P I will definitely look this afternoon.
hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Fountain! Fountain makes it. Spicy Tomato sauce. It is incredibly delicious and lovely.
hermaj

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:04 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Fountain! Fountain makes it. Spicy Tomato sauce. It is incredibly delicious and lovely.

Okay... I know you don't like getting into the whole "language barrier" discussion; but what do you call "Tomato Sauce" in Australia? I mean this stuff:

Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Most other English speaking countries (at least I know in the UK, South Africa and Aus) tomato sauce is ketchup. In at least the first two, that stuff comes in jars and is pasta sauce or pasanda, by the looks of it.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Next

Return to Food