Do some of you buy RPG Source books just to read them?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aradae

Do some of you buy RPG Source books just to read them?

Postby Aradae » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

I've never actually played a game but I do have a collection of DnD source books and I get one every so often to just read them.

Is there anyone else that actually does the same thing?
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Ayelis

Re: Do some of you buy RPG Source books just to read them?

Postby Ayelis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I recently bought Serenity just to read. It's a really good production, too. Worth it if you like the Firefly series, or the movie!

:)

Edit: Oh, and Mage: The Ascension changed the way I look at reality. It's a pretty good read if you're into that kinda stuff.
Yeah, Serenity though. The only thing I didn't like about it was it didn't have layouts for the Alliance 'skyscraper ships'... Still, not bad at all. Chinese Glossary = Win!
Last edited by Ayelis on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
--
Don't tase me bro!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

All the source books I buy I have a vague intention to play, but often times end up just reading them
Shadowrun 4th ed is a good example of this.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

I've been collecting D&D sourcebooks since 2000 or so, and by my count I've spent over 1000 dollars on them.

I've played maybe five games. (Of course, that has more to do with lack of a group...)
All is well. We are not like the others.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I got a Nobilis rulebook and have yet to play, or even think of starting up a game.

But I think that's different. <.<
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

D&D (as Ishindri said, we've got a gorram lot of em), D20 modern and the Serenity sourcebook. I also have a rulebook for Tunnels and Trolls, and one for a superhero game using the HERO system. Champions I think.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

I still buy some 2nd edition D&D stuff just to read it. I won't part with most of what I have already for the same reason.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 am UTC

I do. I have a bunch of Vampire:the Masquerade sourcebooks (and rule books) that I bought just because I enjoy reading them. There are others from other games I bought with the intention of playing, but only ended up reading for run.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Ayelis wrote:I recently bought Serenity just to read. It's a really good production, too. Worth it if you like the Firefly series, or the movie!

When I saw the title, Serenity was the first thing that came to mind.

Playing the game itself is actually pretty fun, too. But Serenity, and maybe the BS:G RPGs are the only ones (in English) I see myself buying just to browse through. KF
~Kizyr

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 am UTC

I've never played a proper game of D&D, but I bought and read the 2nd edition DM's guide and player's guide (when 2nd edition was still current, of course). Oh, and also some Planescape expansion--I don't think it was the full Manual of the Planes--that talked about the elemental planes.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was The Inner Planes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ansob.
Location: Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Postby Ansob. » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Guilty as charged, although "buy" would be an incorrect term; it's more along of the lines of "acquire," if you get my drift.

I've always loved reading rulebooks - my two hobbies are designing worlds and designing wargames/roleplaying games. I tend to collect books obsessively, read them, learn the rules, and then never bother playing.
Laughter is the natural human reaction to everything.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

I buy RPG sourcebooks to play them.

What I end up doing the vast majority of the time is just reading them.

I hate trying to get a group together.

LauraSakura

Postby LauraSakura » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

No... but I steal my boyfriend's D&D books just to read them :D
but he is far away for now :( and theres nobody to play with anymore.

my d20 is lonely.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

I buy "Wraith: The Oblivion" books for this purpose. I am pretty certain I'm never going to run or play a wraith chronicle, but they're good reading.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

LauraSakura wrote:No... but I steal my boyfriend's D&D books just to read them :D
but he is far away for now :( and theres nobody to play with anymore.

my d20 is lonely.

You need to go out and meet new (roleplaying) people.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I buy "Wraith: The Oblivion" books for this purpose. I am pretty certain I'm never going to run or play a wraith chronicle, but they're good reading.

:D Wraith is good fun too. I always told myself, if I ever ran a Whitewolf game, it would be a Mage-Wraith crossover. They're so similar, those two. I've even plotted out the 13 Arcanoi (plus five dark ones) into the 10 spheres... Maybe I should... someday... if I find some willing vict-- uhh, gamers...
--
Don't tase me bro!

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

I'm a collector of (pdfs of) old, obscure, and bad games. and Wraith is the only one I've not only read every bit of, but have become forlorn at never being able to find a group for. The Shadow mechanics are just that hardcore.

That said, I'd love to play a Wraith game someday. And also turn this into a Wraith thread.

I've read through pretty much all the D&D books, but that was more because my group was locked in a splatbook arms race, and not reading for pleasure.

Kookie

Postby Kookie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

I got lots of pdfs (mostly through rpgnow.com), and given the lack of time to try every game, I usually only get to read the sourcebooks.
It's sometimes wonderful to discover such imaginative material, but also terribly frustrating not to be able to roll the dices and slay some NPCs. Damn.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Paranoia has possibly the most entertaining rulebooks to read out of anything I've seen. It has gems like

"If you want to make sure the players keep track of their ammo use, you could use [complicated system]. Or, when you feel like somebody has been shooting far more than they should, roll some dice, consult some tables, and have their laser pistol explode in their face. That should put them in line."

(or something like that).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

.... alright, Spitvalve convinced me in to buying some Paranoia stuff.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

"Remember, you don't have to be impartial: you just have to appear to be impartial."

The fundamental game mechanic is described something like this:

"Describe the situation to the players. Ask them what they want to do. If a player wants to do something entertaining, let it succeed. If it's something boring or annoying, make it fail. If you're not sure, then you may actually look at the dice result."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Which edition of Paranoia are you reading?
I really want to play/get the books for paranoia, and might pick them up at some point.

Man, I love the concept behind Paranoia so much.

You're not playing paranoia right if one clone doesn't die in the briefing.

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

I used to buy every sourcebook I could get my hands on, with the intent to use it in RPG's.

It turns out life is complicated and adults have responsabilities, and tend to move, though, so they mostly sit in a shelf, looking pretty. I read them once in a while and dream.

I stopped buying book circa the release of D&D 3.5. It was mostly an economic consideration, but it did bother me they actually expected me to invest on an entire new set of books because they didn't get it right the first time around.

I do like to browse garage sales for the old school books, though. I also usually buy anything related to Rifts that I do not own already. I'm not sure why I like that game so much. It has so many dice, it's virtually unplayable. :mrgreen:

LauraSakura

Postby LauraSakura » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

OK... so I play world of warcraft online, and I really enjoy the warcraft universe (history, world, races, etc...) and there is a pen and paper warcraft RPG (d20-based) just curious if anyone has checked it out? I think that it mostly just "adds-on" to regular D&D as a campaign setting (like forgotten realms does).

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

WoW d20 is pretty what what you're expecting. It does crank up the power level compared to standard D&D and has some interesting engineering rules, but its mostly D&D with bigger shoulder armor pieces.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Which edition of Paranoia are you reading?
I really want to play/get the books for paranoia, and might pick them up at some point.

Man, I love the concept behind Paranoia so much.

You're not playing paranoia right if one clone doesn't die in the briefing.

But a real artist can terrify everybody without killing anybody :) Until they displease you, of course.

I have read the 1st edition, which was pretty entertaining but had too complex rules for a game that doesn't take itself very seriously. The latest edition (5th, I think? They skipped 4th for comedy) is the one I've got right now. They've simplified the rules hugely, but there's still plenty to ignore. But it's pretty entertaining :)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Cool. I'm glad the current edition (XP, if I remember correctly, though that may have been removed for copyright problems) isn't bad. That was the worst part about getting the new shadowrun (4th ed I think). the world's still nifty, but from people who've read it, and the previous editions, they say it's not as good. Which is sad.

I shall resolve to get paranoia.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:00 am UTC

I actually bought the 2nd ed. monster manual just to read, and then later found out from my friend that there was actually a whole game to go with it, who would have thought?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:Cool. I'm glad the current edition (XP, if I remember correctly, though that may have been removed for copyright problems) isn't bad. That was the worst part about getting the new shadowrun (4th ed I think). the world's still nifty, but from people who've read it, and the previous editions, they say it's not as good. Which is sad.

Really, the rules don't matter all that much for Paranoia, so what edition you get doesn't make a huge difference. One downside to the new "XP" edition is that the graphics are scanned very poorly - it looks they were drawn in pencil, drawn over in pen, and then the pencil lines weren't erased or something. That or they were scanned from the first book or something. They look smudged and blurry and not professional at all...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

ah

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

I just bought the New World of Darkness Changeling book, because it looks good. I will probably never run it. And I'm upset with myself that I gave White Wolf money for the new WoD, as though I thought it was a good idea at all. But this one actually looks like good reading....

They/them

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I just bought the New World of Darkness Changeling book, because it looks good. I will probably never run it. And I'm upset with myself that I gave White Wolf money for the new WoD, as though I thought it was a good idea at all. But this one actually looks like good reading....

See, there's a game I do want to play, but wish I hadn't have bought the book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I just bought the New World of Darkness Changeling book, because it looks good. I will probably never run it. And I'm upset with myself that I gave White Wolf money for the new WoD, as though I thought it was a good idea at all. But this one actually looks like good reading....

:P
I really enjoyed C:tL. It seems awesome.

SilverKnight

Postby SilverKnight » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 pm UTC

Ayelis wrote:I recently bought Serenity just to read. It's a really good production, too. Worth it if you like the Firefly series, or the movie!

:)

Edit: Oh, and Mage: The Ascension changed the way I look at reality. It's a pretty good read if you're into that kinda stuff.
Yeah, Serenity though. The only thing I didn't like about it was it didn't have layouts for the Alliance 'skyscraper ships'... Still, not bad at all. Chinese Glossary = Win!

Holy hell on a stick, I don't keep up with my fandoms enough! Didn't even know about the Serenity RPG, now I'm about to order it!

SilverKnight
Lvl. 4 Human Male Fighter
Str. 11
Dex. 14
Con. 8
Int. 11
Wis. 14
Cha. 15
Suggested dual class: Politician

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

One of my friends who knows about that sort of thing said it sucked. I don't really know though.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

I heard that if you aren't playing with the characters from the series/movie, then there's not much point in playing Serenity rather than a more generic sci fi rpg.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Probably true. The rules set is nice though. I like how it's set up.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:33 am UTC

If I'm not mistaken, it uses the same basic rules as the Angel/Buffy RPGs.

In other news, I may have to take myself off the list for C:tL. I may very well end up running this.

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

yessssss..... joiiin ussss..... my preeecioussssss

Return to “Gaming”