Zombiepocalypse preparedness scale

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Shro
science genius girl

Zombiepocalypse preparedness scale

Postby Shro » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Goal: Be fit enough to survive the zombiepocalypse. I will be an F on the Zombie preparedness scale. (The scale is in hex, duh) )And if I START doing healthy stuff now, when I'm 21, it won't be so hard to start when I'm all old and need it more, right?

Height: 5'2'
Current Weight:Fluctuating between 110-115
Goal Weight:100 (it's nice and even and stuff, okay?)

Plan of Attack: Start SLOWLY. I've started working out and eating right before, but I just try to change so much all at once, I get discouraged when I don't keep it up. I want to be able to say, well, yeah, I haven't worked out for the past two days, that doesn't mean I can't get off your ass and do something RIGHT NOW. I want to be able to do a brisk 40 minute walk every day, and get around 2.5-3 miles in, which isn't too fast.

Things to work on: I'm too much into perfection, and if I miss one day of working out, for some reason, I don't like the thought of doing it again. Also, when I'm really stressed or really busy, I tend to blow off exercising and my eating habits also go PBBBHHBBTT. So that's hopefully something I can work on and eventually fix.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Re: Zombiepocalypse preparedness scale

Postby apricity » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Shro, in your case I'd say your weight shouldn't really be a main issue. 100 pounds would be underweight for your height on the BMI scale. Of course, BMI doesn't mean much, but your goal weight still seems a bit low to me... what I mean to say is, don't get discouraged if you don't get it down as far as you want. I'm a total perfectionist too so I get liking evenness, so the important thing to remind yourself is that you're healthy, even if the number on the scale isn't what you'd like it to be.

Maybe something that would help is quantifying your exercise. Something like, on a busy week with lots of outside stuff to do, you need to exercise at least 3 times, and on a not so busy week, you need to exercise at least 4 times. That way you don't beat yourself up if you miss a day because you can catch up on another day of the week, but you can still track the numbers. You could even keep a calendar and write down at the beginning of the week how many times you want to exercise, and what days might be especially open for it.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Silas

Postby Silas » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:21 am UTC

My advice is this: depending, of course, on what kind of zombies you anticipate (slow-moving or quick? undead or virus-maddened? unkillable, or you just have to destroy the brain? Infectious, or do all the dead become zombies?), the actual fitness required for survival is pretty small. You'll have to be able to outrun zombies to safety, and handle a weapon, but, if you're careful, smart and prepared, those shouldn't be tough.
What'll really decide who lives and who becomes undead is simple preparedness: do you have a rifle and a plan on how to get food and ward off both the living and the dead? If so, there's not much more you can do. If, not, you need both.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

kid c

Postby kid c » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 am UTC

I realize that your main thrust here is your weight, and not necessarily your actual ability to survive the zombocalaypse, so let me just say that isn't 115 just fine for your height? I mean let me rephrase that. I am a guy, and the whole female weight thing has always confused me, apparently it is offensive when you guess too high. But I know for a fact that of the women I have dated they have ranged from

5'4" 135ish
5'6 115ish
5'7 125ish

and none of them were what I would call overweight. Maybe what you should focus on is weightlifting, and getting buff like lou ferigno? A zombie wouldn't even think about eating lou.
The Ninja Ken: A webcomic about office life, video games, and man love
http://theninjaken.com/

Chevon

Postby Chevon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Weight as a measure of fitness is tricky since muscle weighs more than fat. So after weeks of exercise, you might not weigh less, you might even weigh more, which happened to a friend of mine. (Assuming eating habbits are constant)

In preparation for the zombie appocalyspe, I would suggest martial arts training. It will get you in shape, and make you less dependant on weaponry. Then, you can laugh as everyone else runs out of ammo or loses their broadsword in the heat of battle.

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:22 am UTC

Pfft, according to you guys i'm underweight, but im still perfectly healthy (5'10" 120lbs) That said, i am not the norm, and your current weight is fine, and awesome :D

Also, martial arts = win against zombies.
*waggles eyebrows*

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Weight has nothing to do with appearance, or size, or strength, or endurance, or, well, anything besides the number you see when you step on the scale. I have a hard time believing you're doing this just for the status of being 100 lbs. (And you already know that kid c will date you at your current weight, so that's out too). What do you see changing about your life when you weigh 100 lbs? What are your real goals?
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 am UTC

Okay, so 100 lbs isn't really my real goal. I just like the way it looks, because I'm a tad OCD like that.

My goal is to have some sort of physical activity every day. To integrate it into my schedule. I want o lose my belleh fat. I want to feel sexy. I want to look hot in a bikini. I want to be able to indulge in delicious (but healthy, I don't like the taste of junk food) because the bf and I like to cook together.

And the running thing is more so I can run to where Jacque is and make sure he is safe from the zombies.

I made this thing:

kid c

Postby kid c » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

you dont like junk food? what are you a robot from AI? will you break if you eat a cheeto?
The Ninja Ken: A webcomic about office life, video games, and man love
http://theninjaken.com/

Chevon

Postby Chevon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:27 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:My goal is to have some sort of physical activity every day.

If you don't mind getting up early, you can try jogging before starting your day. It's a good way to integrate exercise into your schedual.

judestones

Postby judestones » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 am UTC

An easy way to add some workout to your schedule is to make doing a few pushups or situps before you shower part of your day. It'll only add a few minutes and you'll feel better all day. Running in the morning is good too.

LeapingLizards

Postby LeapingLizards » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Also, martial arts = win against zombies.

Especially if that martial art would include bashing in an undead head with a 25lb Kwan Dao.
And it does. For me.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 am UTC

Bump for pics.

Over the course of two years, I've gained weight, then lost it, and can't seem to get back to where I used to be, but I figure it's on account of all these random muscles I suddenly have.

I don't know where they came from... I don't do any upper body resistance training besides deciding to do a couple of pushups like once a month.
Gratuitous flexing pic for proof:
Spoiler:

I made this thing:

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Wow, I'm impressed that you came back to post this two years later.

That is a very strange angle, but there is clearly muscle development, as well as some fat. I'd have to see a purely sideways shot with you standing more upright to really be able to break it down.

stats?

Also, speaking as someone with a girlfriend who is 5'2", 115 is definitely high, but 100 is probably unnecessarily low. 15 pounds makes a huge difference at your height. Also bone size and amount of muscle makes a big difference regarding how you will look at different weights.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Solt wrote:Also, speaking as someone with a girlfriend who is 5'2", 115 is definitely high, but 100 is probably unnecessarily low.

115 is definitely high? In what sense? Athletic performance? Aesthetics? Life expectancy? The OP doesn't appear to have a high body fat percentage, so I'm not sure what's wrong with weighing 115. The standard BMI-based recommendation for her height is 101-136lb. (I'm aware of the problems with BMI, particularly the fact that it classifies most athletic people as obese, but still.)

Unless someone is morbidly underweight or overweight, I have no idea how to suggest a goal weight without knowing a person's objectives.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

I've been around for awhile, just not in this particular fit club thread... I decided to bump the old one instead of making a new one.

Anyway, the pic was just something I took for laughs and then really got to wondering, how the hell did it happen? I've kind of leveled of on the losing weight front, but I've been dropping pants sizes like nobody's business, which I attribute to having a higher muscle/fat ratio.

Instead of going by weight, I've been going by mirror. It's a lot more fulfilling, as I can see my belly getting flatter or my arms getting trimmer. I like the tone my arms have now... even though I don't really know where it's from.

I made this thing:

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Lots of possibilities. Have your diet or sleeping habits changed recently? Started or stopped any medication?

caje

Postby caje » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Also, speaking as someone with a girlfriend who is 5'2", 115 is definitely high

... That's just crazy talk. Well if the girl has no thighs, ass or much muscle mass at all I could see it. BTW how old are you?

caje

Postby caje » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Anyway, the pic was just something I took for laughs and then really got to wondering, how the hell did it happen? I've kind of leveled of on the losing weight front, but I've been dropping pants sizes like nobody's business, which I attribute to having a higher muscle/fat ratio.

Instead of going by weight, I've been going by mirror. It's a lot more fulfilling, as I can see my belly getting flatter or my arms getting trimmer. I like the tone my arms have now... even though I don't really know where it's from.

1. If you stayed the same weight and are dropping pant sizes (especially if they are getting loose around your waist but staying the same or tighter around your legs/butt) it means an increase in muscle mass and decrease in fat.

2. Going by the mirror/tape measure is the best way to judge things.

caje

Postby caje » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Barbie wrote:Weight has nothing to do with appearance, or size, or strength, or endurance

It really does... There is a reason weight classes in sports exist. While weight itself doesn't cause any of those things it can certainly limit them.

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 am UTC

caje wrote:
Solt wrote:Also, speaking as someone with a girlfriend who is 5'2", 115 is definitely high

... That's just crazy talk. Well if the girl has no thighs, ass or much muscle mass at all I could see it. BTW how old are you?

23. Why does it matter?

5'2" is very, very short. She has a small skeletal frame too, though. I guess it really depends, and I suppose I need more qualifiers. For a relatively sedentary girl with skinny frame at 5'2", 115 will probably involve more fat than you might be happy with. Better?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Lots of possibilities. Have your diet or sleeping habits changed recently? Started or stopped any medication?

Diet: Way more protein. Carbs are pretty much all whole grain. Healthier habits in general.
Sleep: Sleeping less.
Medication: Went from triphashic oral contraception to an IUS with levonorgestrel which has been shown to decrease "total and free testosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and sex hormone–binding globulin (SHBG)."

Solt wrote:5'2" is very, very short. She has a small skeletal frame too, though. I guess it really depends, and I suppose I need more qualifiers. For a relatively sedentary girl with skinny frame at 5'2", 115 will probably involve more fat than you might be happy with. Better?

Let's play a game! Guess my weight!
Spoiler:

I made this thing:

caje

Postby caje » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

Solt wrote:23. Why does it matter?

5'2" is very, very short. She has a small skeletal frame too, though. I guess it really depends, and I suppose I need more qualifiers. For a relatively sedentary girl with skinny frame at 5'2", 115 will probably involve more fat than you might be happy with. Better?

Just for reference because younger guys tend to like skinnier girls, especially high-school aged guys.

It was just a very general statement that has a good chance of not applying to the OP or many other women.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

I feel obliged to mention also that 5'2" is not really short for a girl. It's probably a bit below average, but not hugely so. There are plenty of women out there under 5'.

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

As far as zombiepocalypse preparedness goes, though, weights really not a good metric.

#1: CARDIO

How's your mile run time? :)
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 am UTC

In the case of a zombie apocalypse, food might be scarce or unreliable, so a low weight could actually be detrimental. A fat store that isn't so large that it hinders your cardio would be ideal. Running is obviously your #1 ability you want to work on, with climbing/pull-ups probably being #2. Upper body strength for swinging attacks will be important if those other two skills don't work out for you. Firearm skill are good, but only if you actually own your own gun. The gun stores will be the first place people will go when they figure out what's going on, and I wouldn't count on anyone being in a sharing mood.

My current zombie apocalypse/general action movie goal is to be able to do a pull-up with the weight of a small child hanging from me. I can do about 30 lb now, so I probably need to bump that up to 50 or 60 lb. My running is definitely not up to zombie survival state, but I do live at a very high altitude, so that basically gives me low-level super-powers any time I get near sea level.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 20, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

I haven't actually started training for running on a track/just running yet. I've been on the ellipticals and rowing. I'll do an hour at a time- I like working on endurance, and I love rowing. It's addictive.

I made this thing:

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 am UTC

Double post for:

I made this thing:

Return to “Fit Club”