Volunteering

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Frh

Volunteering

Postby Frh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

So, I have decided to do some volunteer work this summer. What I would really like to do is teach, or perhaps do some conservation/outdoors type work, preferably in Africa, or perhaps Nepal. However, upon searching for opportunities, there seem to be:

a) Loads,
b) Not many ways (other than manually) of finding ones that would interest me.

So, my question(s): Have any of you had any experience with these sort of organisations? Any you would recommend? How did you find them?

Thanks,

Frh

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Volunteering

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

A friend of mine went to some far off African place to work for kiva.org. They do something with the microloan, which I think is the greatest deal out there, and she really enjoys her work, which is a mixture of administrative and humanitarian efforts apparently.

If your in the medical field, check out doctors without borders or some affiliate. Theres a doctors on motorcycles program thats really interesting.

What about teaching english?

If your really having trouble figuring it out, Peace corps probably the way to go. They seem to be best for those who simply don't know how to start, but really want to make a difference. I don't think they're the most effective, but I applaud their efforts regardless.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Frh

Postby Frh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Teaching English might work - I have seen TEFL courses on offer around my university. Unfortunately not a medic, physics all the way! Peace corps look interesting - but I am English, and they seem to be an organisation which require you to be American?

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Frh wrote:physics all the way!

Physics, eh?
I heard of this somewhere:
Engineers without borders
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I have a buddy who did Habitat for Humanity and really enjoyed it.

I have another buddy who is huge into Engineers without Borders.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 am UTC

I'm not sure there are too many conservation jobs in Africa...most people I know who have volunteered there are working more with keeping people alive than conservation. Your profile doesn't say where you live; in the US there's the Student Conservation Association or the AMC if you're in the Northeast.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 am UTC

This is an excellent post on the topic: Where and How I found Volunteer Jobs/What to Expect Volunteering from true life planet. There's a list of places to look at the end.

Also, if you change your mind and want to do conservation work in the United States, many of these organizations will pay you a stipend for it.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:I'm not sure there are too many conservation jobs in Africa...most people I know who have volunteered there are working more with keeping people alive than conservation. Your profile doesn't say where you live; in the US there's the Student Conservation Association or the AMC if you're in the Northeast.

Frh wrote:... I am English...
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Spoffin wrote:
Frh wrote:physics all the way!

Physics, eh?
I heard of this somewhere:
Engineers without borders

Yeah, EWB look like a great organisation. I joined my local branch this year but there haven't been any events yet. Hopefully I'll be able to take part in one of the proper projects next summer.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Return to “General”