Tonight's South Park...(Merged Scott Tenorman)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Tonight's South Park...(Merged Scott Tenorman)

Postby Aradae » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:41 am UTC

I would have to say it is their absolute worst. I just hope it is a one time incident and that south park doesn't go the way of Simpsons.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.
Aradae

Re: Tonight's South Park was pretty crappy

Postby zomgmouse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:50 am UTC

South Park crappy? No way! I never would have imagined that!

Sorry.
Not a huge fan.
I'll stop now.
In fact, you can delete this if you want.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse
zomgmouse

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Definitely subpar compared to their earlier material. I liked the first segment, but after that it just sucked.
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

... sooo..... details? What didn't you like about it? Why was it bad? Were the jokes badly timed?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... sooo..... details? What didn't you like about it? Why was it bad? Were the jokes badly timed?

That's hard to put my finger on, but I'll try. The "feeling" I got from the episode was very similar to the one I got from the hockey episode; it felt very rambly with no real point. The first segment, like I said, I liked, with Kyle laughing at Cartman for a good portion of it, and my expectation was that they'd run with Cartman having
Spoiler:
HIV/AIDS
for the rest of the season. The break-into-house segment was just terrible; Mr. Mackey having Kyle apologize was just terrible; the ending was just terrible.

[ not sure if that needed to be spoiler'd, but best to play it safe ]

EDIT: Oh, and totally didn't get whatever reference they were making with Cartman's appearance change.
26/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby HMC » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

It was a pretty mediocre episode overall. The resolution was pretty funny, though, as was the joke about AIDS being out of style compared to cancer.
HMC

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:EDIT: Oh, and totally didn't get whatever reference they were making with Cartman's appearance change.

* Cartman's change in appearance, from the scarf to the baseball cap, is an homage to Tom Hanks' character Andrew Beckett in the movie Philadelphia.

Not their best episode. They should fire the manatees.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Mmmmmk, so that's obscure [edit: for me anyway (see next two posts)]... I hate when they do that in general. They did that in the Hardly Boys episode too, with "clue" clearly being "erection" most of the time; I remember an English major friend saying that the Hardy Boys books used to have the word "erection" used a few times with an older nonsexual meaning.
Last edited by rrwoods on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Obscure...? A multi-Oscar-winning major motion picture is "obscure" now?
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby rrwoods » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Obscure...? A multi-Oscar-winning major motion picture is "obscure" now?

I should say that it was obscure to me as I hadn't seen the movie and needed to look it up. Of course that doesn't mean it's obscure in general, so I can't really count that against this episode. But it certainly doesn't make up for the fact that the content of the episode was utter trash.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby Zyphlin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:46 am UTC

I'm not just sure I enjoyed it...I'm HIV Positive.

Okay, in reality. It was mediocre compared to the past few seasons. That being said, its been because the past few seasons have just been for the most part outstanding. Honestly, I can't remember the last "Bad" south park episode. Even the Hockey one and This had a number of very funny moments for me. Its got to that point where south park where their "Sub-par" episodes are still better than just about any animated show, or comedy really, that I regularly watch.

I loved the interactions between Kyle and Cartman, and every single time Kyle started breaking down laughing, so did I. The look on Magic's face when he goes "...wait...it couldn't be" with the money was priceless. The punch line, once it hit, was pretty good and I enjoyed the guy driving up to the africans shouting the "Good news" about the cure.

It wasn't great, and definitly wasn't the huge kick off to a season that they've been doing the past few years...but in the grand scope of things it was a funny episode
[Insert Catchphrase Here]
Zyphlin

Postby Lumpy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:28 am UTC

South Park lost my trust that they wouldn't blatantly goatse me when they showed a close-up of a dog's vagina during surgery. It was mostly downhill from there anyway, except for the anti-Scientology episodes.
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

I'll admit, I chuckled a little bit with the whole
Spoiler:
'money being the cure for aids
I thought that was kinda relevant, kinda funny, but the main thing that angered me was actually the ingesting blood thing. You can't get HIV from ingesting blood unless you have a cut in your mouth/open sore.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit
Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

well, due to this thread I tracked down the episode and watched it. I thought it was pretty great. I mean, the main point of the episode was pointing out the absurdity but realistic truth that societies focus of awareness shifts over time. "You have aids? How retro!" is just such a great line. I like the underlying discussion. Also, the "AIDS isn't funny. Not at all. Not even a little" is delicious. It's south park's main strength that they can point out irony, inconsistency, and absurdity in our society and make us laugh at the same time. Almost every single episode points at something in society and that's how it's still totally fresh and on point even in season 12.

The fact that they got aids in absurd ways and were cured by even more absurd ways was kind of secondary to the underlying theme.

Also, the Jimmy Buffet jokes were awesome and that alone is worth watching the episode for. I nearly fell off the couch when Jimmy finishes up his song and asks "How's everyone doing tonight?" which gets cartman to yell out "FUCK YOU JIMMY BUFFET!!!". Cursing at the guy doing your aids benefit for YOU was just so cartman and so damn funny.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

You know, when you break it up into its individual jokes like that, you make it sound actually good. :-P

The whole feeling was just "meh" for me. I guess it didn't feel cohesive? I don't know.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Well South Park went right back into funny territory with the Britney (spelling?) Spears episode.

Rectus! Dominus!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Scott Tenorman Must Die

Postby Clumpy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Somehow, I've never watched South Park in my life. I think I dismissed it as juvenile and sloppy, and I've never seen a second of the show. It turns out that the show is juvenile and sloppy, but hilariously so.

Earlier I decided to watch the episode voted #1 in about fifty polls, "Scott Tenorman Must Die." It's one of the funniest things that I've seen in a long time. It's rare that something actually makes me laugh. Needless to say, I'll be watching the rest of the top ten.

You can find the episode here if you're so inclined. I'll bet some of you have never seen the show either.

Scott Tenorman Must Die
Clumpy

Re: Scott Tenorman Must Die

Postby Kabann » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:35 am UTC

It's a travesty, I tell ya, that you've missed out on all the horrible, horrible goodness up 'til now.

Although for some reason it's not on anyone's list of 'best episodes' that I've seen, I have to say 'Up the Down Steroid' is one of my favorite all-time episodes.

And if you get the chance to watch the movie (Bigger, Longer, and Uncut) cancel all other plans and do it.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.
Kabann

Postby Clumpy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:01 am UTC

I just watched the Jennifer Lopez episode. It was very ridiculous and fantastic, particularly the end ("I wonder - will I dream?"). It had basically the same ending as Scott Tenorman: never, never never never give Cartman the benefit of a doubt.

Kabann, I haven't seen the movie, but I have heard much of the soundtrack.
Clumpy

Postby willwithskills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Ah yes, the soundtrack. I play "Blame Canada" whenever my Canadian friend is around. It annoys him to no end. Have any of you seen the newer imaginationland episodes? Absolutely EPIC.
So it goes.

Dromtry wrote:
willwithskills wrote: I colored sufficiently large purpose on my tail end.

You have a large red hiney?
willwithskills

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 am UTC

willwithskills wrote:Ah yes, the soundtrack. I play "Blame Canada" whenever my Canadian friend is around. It annoys him to no end. Have any of you seen the newer imaginationland episodes? Absolutely EPIC.

Manbearpig! Excelsior!
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Somehow, I've never watched South Park in my life. I think I dismissed it as juvenile and sloppy, and I've never seen a second of the show. It turns out that the show is juvenile and sloppy, but hilariously so.

I watched part of something in the second season, I think.. wasn't paying attention to it and had already halfway dismissed it anyway. A bit passes and my friends insist we go see the movie (This was during the time where we pretty much saw every movie... seriously, if it came out between 1997 and 2000, I probably watched it. Seriously.)

Anyway, laughed my ass off, yadda yadda, realized they were the Cannibal! The Musical guys, have been watching fairly regularly since the .. 5th season, I think?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Tonight's South Park...(Merged Scott Tenorman)

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

South Park is a huge sneak attack, it ranges from great to genius disguised as profanity and juvenile.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Clumpy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

This might seem strange, but I actually find it less offensive than Family Guy. Its heart is closer to The Simpsons - even when it's offensive and shocking it almost seems unaware that it is being so, like Sarah Silverman.
Clumpy

Postby Maturin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:19 am UTC

South Park is amazing, but in my opinion the HIV/Britney episodes did fall short of the standard that they've set in the last couple seasons. The earliest seasons weren't very funny, but then as years went on they became increasingly hilarious... With these last two and a couple of the last ones from the fall season, though, I worry about the apparently declining quality.
Maturin

Postby SnoCrash » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:33 am UTC

There have been very few mediocre/bad eps since season 8. That being said I don't think I want to see the Britney ep again. Something about
Spoiler:
going through the entire episode with Britney having half a head
doesn't seem very funny. The topic was a little strange too. Still looking forward to the rest of this season!
SnoCrash

Postby william » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:31 am UTC

All I'm going to say is that if this show has any chance of reaching 215 episodes I'm killing the creators.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby Aradae » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Tonight's episode was quality as well. I especially like how they were trying to push the limits on just what they are allowed to show exposed breasts on. They shown the nipples underneath a skin tight covering, they shown them on inanimate objects, they shown female breasts on men, but apparently showing them on a woman is a strict no-no.

Plus, I rofled at cheesing.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.
Aradae

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

The creators themselves have been quoted as being bored with the series, but that it pays the bills... so I don't know what should really be expected from them.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit
Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby fjafjan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

If you want to watch any episodes I would recommend http://www.southparkstudios.com/

Legal Streaming High Quality Complete South Park Archive. I guess occasionally there is a short commercial, but I can live with that.

As for the new season it is meh, most of the episodes only have a few gags, the birtney spears episode had like a total of three jokes, sure part of it was funny but it was also just alot of disgusting shit, which isn't "edgy" just because it's repulsive, which I think Matt and Trey often seems to believe, that if people get shocked then they are doing something right. No you're not.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.
fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 am UTC

Actually, I felt that the Britney Spears episode went back to the original, brilliant South Park formula: explain the commonplace behavior of the grown-up world using 1) random craziness followed by 2) supernatural reasons.

Why does everyone follow Britney Spears? Oh, of course! For
Spoiler:
human sacrifice
. It makes perfect sense, after all, right?

Cave-in? It was OBVIOUSLY Manbearpig!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby Aradae » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Tonight's was epic if only for the internet meme battle royale. (No Rick Astley, unfortunately but I guess that's because he already had a real career)
Aradae

Postby rrwoods » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Yeah tonight's was fairly hilarious. I especially loved the
Spoiler:
gopher
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Meh, I wasn't too impressed with the latest episode. It's too reference-heavy, almost Family Guy-style humor there. I think it would have been more entertaining if they didn't use real internet memes.

I did like Tay Zonday's head exploding, though.
TheAmazingRando

Postby Syphon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:Tonight's was epic if only for the internet meme battle royale. (No Rick Astley, unfortunately but I guess that's because he already had a real career)

I was hoping he'd come in all dramatic like, and charge Tay to an epic battle. And Tay Zonday would yell something to the effect of, "AFRO NINJA, WHAT'S HIS POWER LEVEL?"

"IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!"

Only possible way this episode could've been better.
Syphon

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Meh, I wasn't too impressed with the latest episode. It's too reference-heavy, almost Family Guy-style humor there. I think it would have been more entertaining if they didn't use real internet memes.

I did like Tay Zonday's head exploding, though.

I didn't know about half those internet memes, but I thought it was still funny.
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aaron » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:31 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Yeah tonight's was fairly hilarious. I especially loved the
Spoiler:
gopher

i have a t-shirt with the dramatic gopher on it (bustedtees) and weirdly enough, i wore it the day after that episode came out... so, i guess a lot more people understood the reference. :)
aaron

Postby Zeroth » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Does anyone recognize the song that the townsfolk sing in the Spear's episode? Doesn't strike me as an original...
Zeroth

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:28 am UTC

What did people think about the most recent episode (when the internet went down)? It reminded me a lot of the Hobo episode from a few series back. I did like the simulated Internet-porn booth though, and the whole 'once you can have Japanese girls vomiting into each others mouths you can't go back to Playboy' thing.

rrwoods wrote:The "feeling" I got from the episode was very similar to the one I got from the hockey episode; it felt very rambly with no real point.

It seems like a lot of people didn't 'get' this episode, I thought it was a great pisstake on underdog movies.
CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 am UTC

I'm going to head out Californee way, maybe they have some internet out there!

Oh, wait... Anyway, I loved the ending in which
Spoiler:
Kyle plugs the power cord on THE INTERNET back in.

Also, Randy Marsh is a bad man.
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows