The Official NHL 2007-08 Season Topic of Excellence

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Re: The Official NHL 2007-08 Season Topic of Excellence

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 am UTC

tl;dr version: Montreal, Pittsburgh, Washington, Rangers, Detroit, San Jose, Colorado, Anaheim

Montreal vs. Boston - I'm going with Montreal here. It's a pretty easy choice; the season series was 8-0 for the Canadiens...

Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa - Pittsburgh is an easy choice for me here as well. They have one of the most energetic offenses in the league, led by a comeback goaltender. Sure, their defense isn't the best, but you don't need it to be good to beat an Ottawa team that's missing Alfredsson, and when you can score 5 or 6 goals regularly.

Washington vs. Philadelphia - The Russian Bear just can't be stopped, especially by a faltering, underachieving Flyers team. Not to mention they're missing Gagne.

New Jersey vs. NY Rangers - Rangers for sure. Brodeur can stop all the shots he feels like, but New Jersey just isn't going to score against King Henrik.

Detroit vs. Nashville - Every year I say Detroit will lose in the first round, but year after year they prove me wrong. That is, with the exception of maybe 2 years in the last 6 playoff years. I'm going with the Wings on this one. Nashville just doesn't have the goaltending to stop Zetterberg et al.

San Jose vs. Calgary - San Jose by a long-shot. It doesn't matter if Iggy plays 30 minutes a game when you've got Kyle Mclaren draped all over you and breathing down your neck every shift.

Minnesota vs. Colorado - This is the only toss-up series for me. Colorado wins in the scoring category, while Minnesota wins in the team-defense category. They're pretty much even in the goaltending category as of right now. I see this coming down to a goaltending battle between Theodore and Backstrom. For the sake of closure, I'll say Colorado.

Anaheim vs. Dallas - Anaheim's got this one wrapped up. Better scoring, better defense, better goaltending, and overall more experience.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:54 am UTC

What a game by the Rangers.

Obvious win by Pitt.

Western games still going.

mathmagic wrote:Washington vs. Philadelphia - The Russian Bear just can't be stopped, especially by a faltering, underachieving Flyers team. Not to mention they're missing Gagne.

and apparently Briere
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:and apparently Briere

Briere will be back for game 1, Lupul will hopefully cover for the lack of Gagne, and Hatcher will be back for game 2... though I don't know if that'll help the Flyers or hurt them.

Edit: Pittsburgh ran the Sens into the ground, probably not a good idea to do that in game 1.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Woo! What a game by the Avs. Up 2-0, only to give up 2 quick goals, and then Super Joe comes through and wins it in OT. Theodore played a spectacular game, and the Avs were nothing but solid on defense, except for one defensive lapse by Foote on the PK. 2 posts and a non-goal, this game could have been 5-2 Avs.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 am UTC

The Avs-Wild game looked like a good one. I watched the Calgary-San Jose one tonight which was pretty good. The Sharks almost pulled off a comeback, but Kiprusoff was just too good in that last minute.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Yeah, I guess the Flames wanted to make it an exciting finish. :razz:

I'm hoping the Flames win, just because about everyone in the hockey pool I'm in has dedicated 25% of their players to the Sharks players. :P

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Ugh. What a terrible season this has been for Ottawa. At least it will all be over in three games. Here's to hoping we have a real goaltender next season.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

Ottawa was the Detroit of the East until, well, some point. Not sure what exactly happened. I hear Emery is quite a douche.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

The wheels fell off in November after the 15-2 start. They were 28-29-8 from that point on, and even worse after Christmas. The root of the problem is the goaltending. Emery refuses to work hard in practice and Gerber's far and away the worst starting goalie among all playoff teams, and most non-playoff teams as well. The team has no confidence in the goalies and that leads them to make stupid, stupid mistakes.

audoue

Postby audoue » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Montreal crashed Boston 4-1 yesterday!

We are in for the cup baby!!

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Just a fantastic job by Brad Watson and Wes McCauley to win the game for the Capitals tonight. :evil:

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:Just a fantastic job by Brad Watson and Wes McCauley to win the game for the Capitals tonight. :evil:

What? The winning goal was scored even-strength, and there were only 6 penalties all game, 3 to each team...

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:01 am UTC

And the tying goal was scored on a play that should have been blown dead because Patrick Thoresen was on the ice writhing in pain.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:And the tying goal was scored on a play that should have been blown dead because Patrick Thoresen was on the ice writhing in pain.

No, actually. The play should *not* have been played dead.

NHL Rule Book, Section 2.8.1 wrote:When a player is injured so that he cannot continue play or go to his bench, the play shall not be stopped until the injured player's team has secured possession of the puck. If the player's team is in possesion of the puck at the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately unless his team is in a scoring position.

In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a serious injury, the Referee and/or Linesman may stop the play immediately.

According to the officials on the ice, Thoresen's injury was not serious enough to blow the play dead. An injury like Zednik's earlier this season WAS serious enough. It's up to the official, and an injury from a blocked shot is not serious enough, especially when the Capitals DO have the opportunity for a scoring chance.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:38 am UTC

The guy is rolling around on the ice because he took a slapshot to the balls, and you don't think that's serious enough to stop play?

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:The guy is rolling around on the ice because he took a slapshot to the balls, and you don't think that's serious enough to stop play?

No. Not when it's been maybe 3-5 seconds since he went down before the goal is scored. 10-15 seconds? Sure.

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:The guy is rolling around on the ice because he took a slapshot to the balls, and you don't think that's serious enough to stop play?

I think the play continued because he actually got on to his knees and hands at one point, making it look like he was attempting to move to the bench. Anyways, I feel for him; he is in the hospital right now because apparently he ruptured a testicle because of that shot.
John Travolta can dance, but I can light the dance floor on fire.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Disco_Inferno wrote:

I think the play continued because he actually got on to his knees and hands at one point, making it look like he was attempting to move to the bench. Anyways, I feel for him; he is in the hospital right now because apparently he ruptured a testicle because of that shot.

OUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCH

Was he not wearing a cup!?

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:06 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:
Disco_Inferno wrote:

OUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCHOUCH

Was he not wearing a cup!?

Yeah, definantly ouchouchouch. I don't know about what equipment he was or was not wearing, but I don't know how much protection cups provide against a 100 MPH frozen slab of rubber.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Disco_Inferno wrote:Yeah, definantly ouchouchouch. I don't know about what equipment he was or was not wearing, but I don't know how much protection cups provide against a 100 MPH frozen slab of rubber.

alot more than not wearing one.

oh and this is hilarious:

Code: Select all

2ND PERIOD
   06:53   Backman, 4 min, High-Sticking
   08:32   Zubrus, 2 min, Roughing
   08:32   Callahan, 2 min, Roughing
   11:38   Zubrus, 2 min, Slashing
   12:35   White, 2 min, Roughing
   12:35   Shanahan, 2 min, Roughing
   12:35   Langenbrunner, 2 min, Unsportsmanlike Conduct
   12:35   Gomez, 2 min, Unsportsmanlike Conduct
   14:00   Zubrus, 2 min, Hooking
   18:31   Zubrus, 2 min, Roughing
   18:31   Clarkson, 2 min, Unsportsmanlike Conduct
   18:31   Shanahan, 2 min, Unsportsmanlike Conduct
   18:31   Dubinsky, 2 min, Roughing
   19:31   Avery, 2 min, Goaltender Interference

WELCOME TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 am UTC

I approve of the 20 penalty minutes in one period devoted to roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct calls. That's playoff hockey at its finest.

To add on to Thoresen's woes. He may have to have surgery to remove the injured testicle.

Edit to update: Thoresen was released from the hospital, and, though he can't quite walk right, it is possible that he'll play in game two. Mike Green (the guy who shot the puck) left a message for him with the Flyer's personal training, wishing him well.

+100 respect for Thoresen.

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

The Flyers won game 2, and deservedly so. The Caps looked like the team they were the last two years (and the first two periods of game 1): sloppy passing, hitting, positioning, transitions, and game sense. You know you need to change your gameplan when the other team can predict what you are going to do 99% percent of the time, and that's how the Flyers shut down the Caps. Let's hope game 3 will be a better showing.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Wow, did anybody see the Sharks/Flames game last night? Talk about a swing of momentum. It will be interesting to see how the Sharks come back next game after being humiliated like that.

Reckless

Postby Reckless » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Anybody else watch Avery do that reverse screen on Marty last night during the 5v3? Seemed pretty effective, wonder if he'll keep it up throughout the rest of the series.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Reckless wrote:Anybody else watch Avery do that reverse screen on Marty last night during the 5v3? Seemed pretty effective, wonder if he'll keep it up throughout the rest of the series.

The TSN panelists (the major sports network here in Canada) were mentioning the refs could have called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Avery. The "unsportsmanlike" penalty is very adaptive to whatever situation the ref(s) see its deserved to be issued in. I say that the next time it happens (*if* it happens again), Avery gets a 2-minute minor for unsportsmanlike conduct.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Reckless wrote:Anybody else watch Avery do that reverse screen on Marty last night during the 5v3? Seemed pretty effective, wonder if he'll keep it up throughout the rest of the series.

i was laughing the entire time. i for one did not see anything wrong. he was screening the goalie, in an unconventional manner.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:

i was laughing the entire time. i for one did not see anything wrong. he was screening the goalie, in an unconventional manner.

According to multiple hockey bloggers, the NHL has released today an "advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 -
Unsportsmanlike Conduct":

An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule
75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation
when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender
and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the
goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or
distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make
a play.

This is pretty much what I expected, and I applaud the league on putting a stop to this nonsense as swiftly as they did.

EDIT: I just found a news source: http://www.nbc5.com/nhl/15878368/detail.html

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Disco_Inferno wrote:The Flyers won game 2, and deservedly so. The Caps looked like the team they were the last two years (and the first two periods of game 1): sloppy passing, hitting, positioning, transitions, and game sense. You know you need to change your gameplan when the other team can predict what you are going to do 99% percent of the time, and that's how the Flyers shut down the Caps. Let's hope game 3 will be a better showing.

You know I noticed some of the broadcasters said that Huet looked uncomfortable in net that night, but I've really gota disagree with that. 39 saves on 41 shots is a damn good job and it's not unreasonable to expect Washington's offense to score at least three goals in a game.

mathmagic wrote:Wow, did anybody see the Sharks/Flames game last night? Talk about a swing of momentum. It will be interesting to see how the Sharks come back next game after being humiliated like that.

That was insane. And it'll teach you to never walk out on a game early. Though I think it did help that Calgary went down by three so early in the game since they had the entirety of it to make a comeback. Still, impressive work, let's see if the Sharks rally around that or if it knocks them on their asses.

I love that NJ-NY series. That's what playoff hockey is all about. :D

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:33 am UTC

You know I noticed some of the broadcasters said that Huet looked uncomfortable in net that night, but I've really gota disagree with that. 39 saves on 41 shots

The two goals he allowed were awful, though. The first was a little flutterball shot that he should have caught no problem, and the second was a terrible rebound. Huet's never been a good playoff goalie: in 2006 the Canadiens had a 2-0 series lead and led 1-0 late in game 3. Huet literally allowed a pass through the five-hole to tie the game, the 'Canes took the game in OT and won four straight to win the series, with Huet allowing a ton of other weak goals in that time.

Edit: One more game, and Ottawa's Pyhrric victory over Ray Emery will be complete!

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Rysto wrote:
You know I noticed some of the broadcasters said that Huet looked uncomfortable in net that night, but I've really gota disagree with that. 39 saves on 41 shots

The two goals he allowed were awful, though. The first was a little flutterball shot that he should have caught no problem, and the second was a terrible rebound. Huet's never been a good playoff goalie: in 2006 the Canadiens had a 2-0 series lead and led 1-0 late in game 3. Huet literally allowed a pass through the five-hole to tie the game, the 'Canes took the game in OT and won four straight to win the series, with Huet allowing a ton of other weak goals in that time.

Huet played well in Game 2. I am upset about the horrible defense in front of him, which I believe was the real reason for both of Philly's goals.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:This is pretty much what I expected, and I applaud the league on putting a stop to this nonsense as swiftly as they did.

Avery is the man for getting the NHL to amend their rulebook in the middle of the post season. i dont think it should have been a big deal at all though.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i dont think it should have been a big deal at all though.

Just about all the players spoken to (at least all the ones that I heard quotes from) said it ruins the integrity of the game when players pull stunts like that. People say "Oh, would it have been a big deal if someone else without the reputation did it?". All I have to say to that is the question is irrelevant, because no other player would stoop that low in the first place.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

i dont get it. whats the difference between obstructing the goalies view with your back turned, and when youre facing the goalie? what was so bad about what he did?

i think Brodeur punching him and nailing him in the nuts with his stick warrants a bigger deal.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:i dont get it. whats the difference between obstructing the goalies view with your back turned, and when youre facing the goalie? what was so bad about what he did?

Because Avery was following Brodeur's eyes and trying to block his view with his hands. When you're back is to the goalie, you're facing the play and involved in it; you're trying to screen the goalie and possibly getting a re-direction into the net. Avery wasn't even paying attention to where the puck was. It's analogous to the screening penalty in the NFL.

Cai

Postby Cai » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

If the Flyers don't win tonight, I don't think they'll win the series. But the way they played the other night in Game 2 makes it look pretty promising. Let's go Philly!
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:22 am UTC

I've given up on the Caps. The have only had one good period out of 9. One. Their play is aggravating and ugly. They look nothing like the team I know. After three games of Philly doing the same thing, nothing has seemed to change on the Capital side. Philly, please do me a favor and cream Pittsburg in the next round.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:28 am UTC

The Flyers will probably be playing the Habs in the next round. Not a match up that I'm looking forward to. The winner of the Rangers-Devils series will be playing Pittsburgh, and whoever wins will probably be too beat up to anything to the Penguins.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Swordfish wrote:And it'll teach you to never walk out on a game early.

Which is pretty much what the wings did in game 3. Jesus, they get a one goal lead and try to run the clock for almost an entire period? Whose bright idea was it to play the third period like it was a 19 minute power play? Hopefully they find some momentum and carry it through the next couple games.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Oh man, Mike Knuble in with the game winner in the second overtime. Once that game went into overtime, both teams were playing for the series.

Not quite a good playoff debut for Alexander the Not-So-Great, huh? :P

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:31 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:Not quite a good playoff debut for Alexander the Not-So-Great, huh? :P

Let's not forget Crosby's playoff debut last season, when they were dispatched in 5 games by the Sens. The Caps are a good young team with potential, but they need another year to gel and mature.

Return to “General”