High School bathroom graffiti: intellectualized

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

High School bathroom graffiti: intellectualized

Postby Shoesonforyou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 am UTC

In spite of the usual "eff you"s, "so-and-so sucks"s, and "your mom (insert miscellaneous sexual activity here)"s, I have recently....found.... some rather interesting discussions and thoughts scrawled on walls of my high school. They reminded me of the spirit of xkcd, and I thought I'd post a couple.

Thoughts?
Nothing is random.
Shoesonforyou

Re: High School bathroom graffiti: intellectualized

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:34 am UTC

The images weren't loading for me, had to access them manually (what a pain in the ass it is to copy AND paste) but I loved the first one... and I couldn't read the writing on the second one. What does it say?
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman
fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Never mind the images loaded :lol: I really should be more patient.
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman
fenrir_darkwolf

Postby Kasperl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:55 am UTC

Unfortunately the toilet graffiti at my uni isn't that creative, generally. The best I've seen was 'Oh, and what's the speed of dark?' in the local Irish pub, somewhere below "His vibrato sounded like he was driving over a plowed field with weights tied to his scrotum".
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.
Kasperl

Postby mrbaggins » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

"Love hurts just as much as it heals - Find a balance"
"True love is the balance - but it's up to you to strike it."

Too mushy for me, but the writing for both is awesome (And obviously female)
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby ICDB » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Yes, unfortunately in my school if those were found in a boys' bathroom underneath would be some sort of
"FAG GROW A PAIR"
"HOMO"
"_______ WROTE THIS SO GEY"

sigh :?
ICDB

Postby Shoesonforyou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Yeah, I've heard from guys that there's nothing remotely similar to this on the walls of bathrooms they frequent. Graffiti is an odd phenomenon as it lends a certain permanance to whatever's written or drawn, but those who execute graffiti tend to be the same one's who don't have much worth saying.

Case in point:

Mrbaggins, I'm curious to know how you knew it said "..strike it", as that it what it says, but it was cut off in the picture.
Nothing is random.
Shoesonforyou

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

I don't know about you, but for me "strike it" isn't cut off at all, I can see it clearly.
Master Gunner

Postby Korandder » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

My artist friend recorded graffiti she found in high school bathrooms then projected the graffiti back onto the school in the middle of the night using an overhead projector.
Korandder

Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Shoesonforyou wrote:Yeah, I've heard from guys that there's nothing remotely similar to this on the walls of bathrooms they frequent. Graffiti is an odd phenomenon as it lends a certain permanance to whatever's written or drawn, but those who execute graffiti tend to be the same one's who don't have much worth saying.

Case in point:

Mrbaggins, I'm curious to know how you knew it said "..strike it", as that it what it says, but it was cut off in the picture.

They didn't even get the quote right.
TheAmazingRando

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:13 am UTC

I don't know about you, but for me "strike it" isn't cut off at all, I can see it clearly.

This^

I can see the whole thing perfectly.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby Shoesonforyou » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Well, I'm glad you can read it, but hurrrumph... I spent an inordinate amount of time cropping and resizing those photos because on my broswer the don't fit. Hurrrupmh.
Nothing is random.
Shoesonforyou

Postby ICDB » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Actually in my school's bathroom there was a rather aggressive pro-weed poem once ahah. However, the janitors paint over everything that comes up, so there's no 'permanence.'
ICDB

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Funny, just today I was in a bathroom, looking at the graffiti critically, and wondering, "Why is it so rare that we find anything beyond the amazingly crude in bathrooms?" I was almost tempted to write out something of my own to do something about it.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing
diotimajsh

Postby Rippy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I've always wanted to graffiti something super-lame on a bathroom wall, like "Say NO to drugs!".

Then I remember that I'm too good of a person to vandalize. I could use dry-erase marker maybe?
Rippy

Postby Shoesonforyou » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:34 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Funny, just today I was in a bathroom, looking at the graffiti critically, and wondering, "Why is it so rare that we find anything beyond the amazingly crude in bathrooms?" I was almost tempted to write out something of my own to do something about it.

I dare you.
Nothing is random.
Shoesonforyou

Postby pedestrian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

There's one stall in one of my school bathrooms in which about 15 people have started their own version of Post Secret. I'd say it's more along the lines of a support group than malicious-natured graffiti.
pedestrian

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I like to read the little poems all over the place. One time I even found C.S. Lewis's entire speech about childhood:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-C.S. Lewis on being grown up
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.
Ramses IV

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:I like to read the little poems all over the place. One time I even found C.S. Lewis's entire speech about childhood:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-C.S. Lewis on being grown up

If he hadn't been a pedophile I would totally love that speech.

My hobby: scrawling "The cake is a lie." on the walls of bathroom stalls.

If you want to get really intellectual, try writing the definition of the Y-Combinator on a bathroom-stall wall.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:04 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:If he hadn't been a pedophile I would totally love that speech.

...I wasn't aware of that, and a simple Google search reveals nothing. What are you talking about? Perhaps a joke?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.
Ramses IV

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:20 am UTC

I hope that's a joke. Maybe he's confusing C.S. Lewis with Lewis Carroll?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
podbaydoor

Postby Ramses IV » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I hope that's a joke. Maybe he's confusing C.S. Lewis with Lewis Carroll?

I think he might have.
My Blag

Ramses IV

Postby alphacenturi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

heh. someone in my school, in the one clean place in one of the stalls wrote "merry christmas to all our readers"

it was quite neat and boxed in all nice...
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it´s a world or a relationship, everything has its time and everything ends."
alphacenturi

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I hope that's a joke. Maybe he's confusing C.S. Lewis with Lewis Carroll?

You got me there. My bad.

OK, so that speech is made of awesome, then.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby mountaingoat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 am UTC

Whenever I see "fuck you" written I wonder if it's just someone being dumb or a Cather in the Rye reference.
mountaingoat

Postby diotimajsh » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Shoesonforyou wrote:I dare you.

>.>
<.<
I may or may not have just written a Zen Buddhist koan in a bathroom a few days ago. (It was in pencil! That makes it less wrong, right?)
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing
diotimajsh

Postby Jadestone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

So, by my house, there's a road, right? And underneath it not to far from my house is an old cow pass (basically, a cement tunnel going under the road supposedly so farmers wouldn't have to take their cows across it or something, but I would think the road was built long after and farmers were left... and it's much, much to big to be a drainage pipe, around like 7 feet tall and a lot wider). No one ever goes down there that I know of, I only know it's thee because one of my friends showed it to me way back in 6th grade or so. Unless she's shown other people who have taken an interest in it, which I kind of doubt as it's not really her "thing" anymore that I'm aware (we grew apart... : / ), I don't think many others would know about it either, much less bother to go in it.

Now I'm guessing you all can guess what I want to do as I'm on this thread, but I want to take a sharpie down there and just copy out a long poem. I was thinking "The Garden of Proserpine" by Algernon Charles Swineburn (I like him), I don't want to do something really well-known (liek "The Raven") but I do want something interesting. I don't know if anyone would ever read it, but someone might, and maybe they'd like it. Any other suggestions?

Still need to check for hobos/escaped convicts though.

EDIT: Wow I could have sworn this was the general index. To make the post more on-topic:

I haven't ever seen anything truely insitghtful int eh school bathrooms, but the ones I mainly go in are the out-of-the-way-for-everyone-but-band/choir/music theroy-kids and new, so there may be. There was a poem once... I think I remember it, or some of it...

"[wordwordwordthatrhymeswith'name']
A soul of stone
A sould by name
A soul alone

Though time dissolves
Our flesh and bone
A soul is all
And all alone."

As said, not too profound/great, but it's good for my schools standards.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."
Jadestone

Postby alphacenturi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Jadestone wrote:So, by my house, there's a road, right? And underneath it not to far from my house is an old cow pass....

(poem) alone."

lol i've been there (i was reading your post and i was thinking "wait a minute... this sounds familiar)

and when was that poem there?
Last edited by alphacenturi on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it´s a world or a relationship, everything has its time and everything ends."
alphacenturi

Postby Windmill » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

My best friend used to write the quadratic formula in the bathrooms at school.
Once I heard some girls talking about it and wondering who wrote it. Great stuff.

Strangely enough, the graffiti this year has really cut down. I really can't imagine why, but this thread has reinspired me to write something good on a wall.
Windmill

Postby Jadestone » Sun May 04, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

alphacenturi wrote:
Jadestone wrote:So, by my house, there's a road, right? And underneath it not to far from my house is an old cow pass....

(poem) alone."

lol i've been there (i was reading your post and i was thinking "wait a minute... this sounds familiar)

and when was that poem there?

(hello :) Want to help me with it?)
It was in the bathroom last year near V-hop's old room.

A week or so ago there was a whole deal at our school because there was something apparently written on a bathroom wall about something happening on April 29th. We had a lockdown for a period and a half (lights out and sitting at least nearish to the corner) and police and everything. There are some seriously stupid people here.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."
Jadestone

Postby spaceinvader » Sun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I saw something along the lines of this whilst in London once:
Code: Select all
<?
    echo "I'm drunk!";
?>
spaceinvader

Postby alphacenturi » Sun May 04, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

spaceinvader: interesting... and probably true. lol.
alphacenturi

Postby Lanth » Mon May 05, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Lots of people at my school at an obsession with graffitiing a picture of a penis, followed by "tation", to mean "dictation".

One of the less intellectual things people have done.

I do like the idea of Portal quote graffiti. My personal favourite:

Not in cruelty
Not in wrath
The Reaper came today
An Angel visited this grey path
And took my cube away.

(Unfortunately, "wrath" and "path" don't rhyme with an Australian accent :()
Lanth

Postby zaqwithaq » Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 am UTC

not bathroom graffiti but in my geometry class (he also teaches basic arithmetic for seniors so uhh...yeah...)
there were at least 7 "I *heart* name"'s scratched in to the desk
so i wrote in: I greatly appreciate the close friendship of Bayli who is my close friend. I thought it was funny...
Spoiler:
zaqwithaq

Postby ikantspell4 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:21 am UTC

I'm going to try posting homework problems in the bathroom in our schools physics department. Perhaps someone will get bored and solve 'em for me.
ikantspell4

Postby Dromaeosaurid » Fri May 09, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I wrote on a bus seat:

"ln(e) is the loneliest number that there ever was."
Dromaeosaurid

Postby SpitValve » Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

The classics building used to have "memento mori" (or whatever the correct spelling is) - "Remember that you will die".

I've seen some pretty clever graffiti in general at universities, with plenty of discussions and arguments following.
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby makaveli » Fri May 09, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

ikantspell4 wrote:I'm going to try posting homework problems in the bathroom in our schools physics department. Perhaps someone will get bored and solve 'em for me.

I've been doing something similar. In the men's stall I post "weekly integrals", I scribble down an utterly impossible integral and wait for someone to solve it. They never do, but it doesn't keep them from scribbling an obviously wrong answer. (the last one was a triple integral with limits and exponents and everything-someone answered 8 ).
makaveli

Postby Rowadanr » Sat May 10, 2008 10:07 am UTC

I was once insanely bored in a maths lesson, so in the corner of my desk i scribbled the entirety of "Ozymandias" in futhark to see if anyone reacted
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.
- John Cage
Rowadanr

Location: Living in my solar dome on a platform in... somerset.

Postby alphacenturi » Sat May 10, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

ocassionally in 8th grade i'd have a conversation on the desk with the person who had my desk during the periods before... it was amusing. i never found out who they were though.
alphacenturi

Next

Return to School