That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Postby taptap » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

WELL... after doing some searching, there isn't really a car-related thread on xkcd, and since you can post your face, desktop, voice, signature, and everything else, how about you post a picture of the vehicle you drive? Are we a community of gas-sipping toyota corollas? Slammed Honda Civics? Pickup trucks so high you have to use a ladder to get into? Scooters? Hatchbacks, coupes, sedans, wagons? If you own it or still make payments, and it has an engine that propels you from point A to point B, share it with us!

I just became the proud owner of a 1993 Dodge Stealth!! It's a captive import of the Mitsubishi 3000GT (Or GTO in Japan)... and it's my favorite car I've ever owned. I just put on a set of 17" Dodge Stratus R/T rims (the previous owner had put on some ugly/wacky aftermarket 15" wheels) because they were larger and complimented the car more than what it had due to the dodge centercaps. Since it's the base model, It is FWD with the 161 hp SOHC 3.0L V6 hooked to a 5 speed manual transmission. After visiting 3sx.org, there are so many modifications that would be fun and expensive to do such as a full 99 3000GT conversion, HID conversion, etc., but this car will remain unmolested until I can afford an R/T TT or VR-4 version of this car. They were ~300hp twin-turbo'd DOHC V6s with AWD... incredible machines.

stealth.jpg
Me and my 3S!
stealth.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 13377 times
Last edited by taptap on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Re: That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

That truly is a sweet ass-car.

I wants one.

How much it cost you?
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

taptap

Postby taptap » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:That truly is a sweet ass-car.

I wants one.

How much it cost you?

well, actually, I straight-up traded (title for title) My '95 Chevy Blazer. I spent about $2300 on that, so yhea... I know I traded for an older car, but I couldn't resist. AND, the plus side is, if I can keep off the throttle, it gets WAY better gas mileage than the blazer!

tl;dr, $2300!

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

taptap wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:That truly is a sweet ass-car.

I wants one.

How much it cost you?

well, actually, I straight-up traded (title for title) My '95 Chevy Blazer. I spent about $2300 on that, so yhea... I know I traded for an older car, but I couldn't resist. AND, the plus side is, if I can keep off the throttle, it gets WAY better gas mileage than the blazer!

tl;dr, $2300!

Y'know... I could buy a Jackson Randy Rhoads RR1 V for that price...

...I can't drive yet. I'll get the guitar. >.>;

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

HA HA HAAAA foresight and planning! (but when you CAN drive, can you drive a guitar?)

anyway, i drive a 2006 Kia Spectra. I've had it for almost 2 years, and i'm still making payments on it. i dont know all the specifications, its an automatic, gets decent gas milage and gets me from point a to point b. I dont have a picture of it, but watch this space! I'll try to post one up tomorrow. its nothing special, really.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler:
DSC00396.JPG
DSC00396.JPG (576.6 KiB) Viewed 12962 times

It's a 2001 Saturn SC1. Base model, since I am both a student with no money and a person with no interest in car mods. It's an automatic and gets about average gas mileage. 20-22 mpg, at last calculation. Gets me from point A to point B, and while the engine can be louder than most, music takes care of that problem.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 am UTC

2005 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe. I get ~20 mpg in pure suburban hell driving. I will be done paying for this car by the end of the year, and probably could be done today if I really felt like it.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:HA HA HAAAA foresight and planning! (but when you CAN drive, can you drive a guitar?)

I don't actually plan on learning to drive until I become rich and famous.

And even then I'm just going to drive at hyper speeds and kill myself, for shits n' giggles.

OR I might get a scooter. I can get a fortnight's worth of college travel for about £5-10.

Although I would probably kill myself on the roads. The drivers around here are crazy.

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
parkaboy wrote:HA HA HAAAA foresight and planning! (but when you CAN drive, can you drive a guitar?)

I don't actually plan on learning to drive until I become rich and famous.

And even then I'm just going to drive at hyper speeds and kill myself, for shits n' giggles.

OR I might get a scooter. I can get a fortnight's worth of college travel for about £5-10.

Although I would probably kill myself on the roads. The drivers around hereeverywhere are crazy.

FTFY

Worst case, you sell a couple guitars you no longer like/use to get a car/scooter/whatever when the time comes to get yourself personal transport.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Aperfectring wrote:Worst case, you sell a couple guitars you no longer like/use to get a car/scooter/whatever when the time comes to get yourself personal transport.

:shock:

YOU SICKEN ME.

... :o

HOW COULD YOU SUGGEST THAT?!

I'd rather become a man-whore.

Sable

Postby Sable » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:38 am UTC

This is the car I bought about a month ago:

It's a 2002 Audi allroad quattro (Their capitalization, not mine) that I bought because I moved to a place where my previous car (a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback) simply could not get up the long, steep hill in the wintertime. In addition to having leather, heated, power everything, it simply doesn't know what snow is - it's like driving a tank. A really smooth, insanely comfortable tank. It was about 16,000USD.
I'm a photographer.
http://rsable.deviantart.com

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Not A picture of my car, but inside of it. I've got a very sensitive radiation detector that I bought recently and built a dock to mount it to the dashboard of my car. This thing's so sensitive it can pick up medical radioactive waste at a hospital by driving by the building!
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Aperfectring wrote:2005 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe. I get ~20 mpg in pure suburban hell driving. I will be done paying for this car by the end of the year, and probably could be done today if I really felt like it.

I love the Stratus. My parents have a 2005 one as well, I believe. I really enjoy how it handles and accelerates.

As for me, I've got a 1997 Chevy Cavalier. I really like the thing. I get rather good gas mileage on it, as well.

Not actually exactly my car, but it's the same year and model, as well as color, so..

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 am UTC

Its a 2003 BMW 325xi. I need to drive it in the winter, thus the "x" (all wheel drive). However, during the summer I put 17" Beyern Type Mesh rims with sport tires on. I have also invested in an aFe cold air intake kit which bumps the horsepower from 186 to roughly 200. Its also a 5 speed. :D

My car.JPG
2003 BMW 325xi
My car.JPG (79.5 KiB) Viewed 12619 times

I get between 22 and 25 mpg on the highway. Sorry for the reflections in the picture, the light wasn't great when the picture was taken.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:51 am UTC

My car is very dependable. It's around 17 years old, but has never given me any trouble at all. Not even in the winter.

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler:

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Shadic wrote:I love the Stratus. My parents have a 2005 one as well, I believe. I really enjoy how it handles and accelerates.

I generally try to drive it for gas mileage, so I don't do too much to take advantage of the acceleration or handling, but I do have to a few times a week, and it is always good to know it is there just in case... People in South Florida seem to think that playing bumper cars is still acceptable after you have left the carnival/fair/amusement park. The longest I have gone without seeing an accident on my 24 mile round trip drive to work is 5 days. That's right, I went for one whole week without seeing an accident, but I saw one on the preceding friday, and the following monday, so it wasn't enough to give me that "warm fuzzy" feeling. I am just glad I don't have to take the I-95 pinball machine to and from work like some people.

esoteric

Postby esoteric » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:06 am UTC

My daily driver, grocery getter...
Spoiler:
374.JPG
374.JPG (553.41 KiB) Viewed 12428 times

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja:
I used to drive a '96 model of that car.
I got around 30-35 mpg in town. You should get it looked at...seriously. There might be something wrong. :?
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 am UTC

I neither have nor need a car.

But damn I want one. :(
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 am UTC

~4,000

I need to find some pictures of it at the track! They're on this damn computer somewhere.

[edit] I think this thread already exists... [/edit]
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:41 am UTC

My car is 24 years old, not even remotely exciting but still running and gets me from A to B. I did, however, recently get paid to drive around in these for a week:

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:52 am UTC

Damn you and your american car prices!
In Denmark, you're lucky to get a mediocre family car for $25'000, new of course.

Very very shitty old used cars go for around $1500, and they'll probably last two to three years.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

This is not a picture of my personal vehicle, but merely the image of another one just like it.

Which means yes, my car looks like every other car in existence. I have no bumper stickers, no personalized license plate, no funky lights or bizarre wheels.

If I was required to be the wheelman of a robbery, witnesses would likely describe eight or nine different cars as the getaway vehicle. Because it looks like everything else on the road.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

julius

Postby julius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

*sits in corner rocking back and forth, whimpering and muttering "global warming"*

I don't mean this in a sanctimonious you-evil-polluters way. A lot of the cars posted are clearly enthusiasts' cars, others are *needed* for a daily commute, and everyone has their own reasons for the choices they make, so I'm not going to judge anyone. (The people I will judge are, say, the people who drive spotlessly clean, never-taken-off-road SUVs that get about 15 MPG around inner cities or suburban housing estates in the UK.) It's just something that worries me, and there are no easy solutions - condemning people for driving certainly won't do much good. But never mind that.

Here's my wheels - my parents' old car.
Spoiler:
Details? Well, this is Europe, so it's a six-seater MPV with a 1.6 litre 4-cylinder, ~100 hp. And it's quite heavy. Still more than enough power for me.

(the parents now drive a - bring on The Smug - Toyota Prius. Which is actually quite nice to drive (though a bit disconcerting at first!) and does live up to our expectations in terms of efficiency.)

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:Damn you and your american car prices!

Was just about to say that. In fact, damn them and their American everything prices :x

I failed my test once (I can drive, more or less - most people in the UK fail at least once) and then wasn't in the country to retake it for a long while, so no car for me yet. Was thinking of getting a motorcycle license actually, but again I have yet to get around to it.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Not too exciting, but I do like my car (1995 Audi 80):
Spoiler:
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

julius wrote:*sits in corner rocking back and forth, whimpering and muttering "global warming"*

I don't mean this in a sanctimonious you-evil-polluters way. A lot of the cars posted are clearly enthusiasts' cars, others are *needed* for a daily commute, and everyone has their own reasons for the choices they make, so I'm not going to judge anyone. (The people I will judge are, say, the people who drive spotlessly clean, never-taken-off-road SUVs that get about 15 MPG around inner cities or suburban housing estates in the UK.) It's just something that worries me, and there are no easy solutions - condemning people for driving certainly won't do much good. But never mind that.

Here's my wheels - my parents' old car.
Spoiler:
Details? Well, this is Europe, so it's a six-seater MPV with a 1.6 litre 4-cylinder, ~100 hp. And it's quite heavy. Still more than enough power for me.

(the parents now drive a - bring on The Smug - Toyota Prius. Which is actually quite nice to drive (though a bit disconcerting at first!) and does live up to our expectations in terms of efficiency.)

First off - holy crap, in the name of all that is tasteful, that is a weird car. The studio designer in me wants to scream. Now that I've got that out of my system...yeah, I know. I'm big on sustainable fuels, and not just because of global warming, but government and industry have been piss poor at providing any alternative to petrol and most consumers are still afraid to try the few alternatives that are on the market (the majority of consumers in my country refuse to try 10% ethanol blends because they think it will damage their car - blatantly incorrect, for the most part). It doesn't help that for every potentially viable fuel that's out there, there's a group of rabid fanboys from another camp that's dedicated to spreading misinformation and FUD about it, whether it's biofuels, electricity or hydrogen. It gets depressing after a while.

julius

Postby julius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:First off - holy crap, in the name of all that is tasteful, that is a weird car. The studio designer in me wants to scream.

I know - it's great, isn't it? I'm thinking the term 'ass-car' might be particularly appropriate here... Anyway, it does fit six (two rows of three) comfortable, adult-size seats and a reasonable-sized boot into the length of a slightly larger hatchback (though it's quite wide), it has a tiny turning circle, and when you remove the back seats it can carry substantial amounts of, say, furniture.

Hawknc wrote:Now that I've got that out of my system...yeah, I know. I'm big on sustainable fuels, and not just because of global warming, but government and industry have been piss poor at providing any alternative to petrol and most consumers are still afraid to try the few alternatives that are on the market (the majority of consumers in my country refuse to try 10% ethanol blends because they think it will damage their car - blatantly incorrect, for the most part). It doesn't help that for every potentially viable fuel that's out there, there's a group of rabid fanboys from another camp that's dedicated to spreading misinformation and FUD about it, whether it's biofuels, electricity or hydrogen. It gets depressing after a while.

Well, the sheer number of people who find a conspiracy around global warming involving thousands of scientists more likely than the possibility of the scientists being right doesn't help. But the fanboy-ism, too. I'll admit I'm guilty of it myself - I do believe that we need to at least look at, and probably use, all conceivable possibilities, but I still think that hydrogen is pretty much a dead end. Or, rather, that the development money would be better spent on other technologies for the moment.
We'll see how it goes... the fact is, the hybrid my parents bought *has* saved a lot of fuel. OK, so I have a car now when previously I didn't, but I use it so little and my parents drive so much (even though my father commutes by bus) that the hybrid more than makes up for it.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

I find it odd that you're calling hydrogen a 'dead end' - to me its entire advantage is that it isn't an endpoint, it's a non-polluting and efficient storage medium that can be produced from any number of energy sources. We only need to make the transition to hydrogen once and we are then able to use any kind of power plant we feel like to produce that hydrogen without altering the infrastructure. I'd say if anything hydrogen protects us from hitting a dead end in a way that other technologies do not.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

julius

Postby julius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:I find it odd that you're calling hydrogen a 'dead end' - to me its entire advantage is that it isn't an endpoint, it's a non-polluting and efficient storage medium that can be produced from any number of energy sources. We only need to make the transition to hydrogen once and we are then able to use any kind of power plant we feel like to produce that hydrogen without altering the infrastructure. I'd say if anything hydrogen protects us from hitting a dead end in a way that other technologies do not.

Well, on your first point, that's part of the problem - a lot of the media hype still treats hydrogen as a source of energy, where of course what it is is a storage medium. But I submit that electricity (or the weird forms of chemical energy inside Li-Ion batteries) are much better storage media. Now, it's from Wikipedia, so the usual caveats apply, but if true, this is an interesting point about the "efficiency" part:
Spoiler:
(the article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy) raises a lot of interesting points

I don't really know about the energy density of liquid hydrogen tanks, but the fuel cell car prototypes I've heard about have had similar ranges between refuelling as the better battery-electric cars - though they still have the advantage that refuelling is much faster. Batteries (the Li-Ion type, anyway) have a slight tendency to catch fire, but then hydrogen has a tendency to blow up; on the whole, as far as I know, batteries are safer and easier to handle - fuel cells are temperamental beasts.

So as I said, I don't want to be overly fanboyish, but at the moment it seems to me batteries are a more practical way of storing energy to run vehicles. Not necessarily the only one, but better than hydrogen. And since a huge problem with an electric-car infrastructure is going to be where the electricity is going to come from, losing 3/4 of the energy to the inefficiency in the hydrogen cycle seems like a bad plan. But this is straying too far off-topic, I'll stop now. Let me know if you want to continue this in another thread - although I've pretty much said all I have to say.

bananarchy

Postby bananarchy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Mine! 2002 Subaru WRX, with an upgraded turbo and numerous other goodies, putting about 300hp to the wheels. It's a blast. I slapped some coilovers on it last week, so it's sitting a bit lower now than it is in the pic.

micco

Postby micco » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Damn, you people have newish cars. I drive a 1983 volkswagen polo classic c. I`ll post a picture when I get home.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Here's my car. It's not running at the moment (needs an alternator, I think), and I've been lazy about getting it fixed, since I don't really need to.

It's a 2002 SVT Focus, CD Silver with red interior (rarest color combination for that year!) with some aftermarket wheels that were on it when I got it. The stockers are reportedly roughly as strong as clay. Not the fastest thing, but handles like a dream, gets good fuel economy (low 20s in town, low 30s on the highway, around 26 mpg combined) and can haul quite a bit.

sckego

Postby sckego » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

IMG_13489 resized.JPG
IMG_13489 resized.JPG (36.83 KiB) Viewed 11887 times

2004 Honda VFR. $6500 new, 40 mpg, 0-60 in somewhere under 3 seconds, more fun then you can possibly imagine. She's my daily driver, racking up about 18,000 miles per year, in everything from sun to rain to snow to smallish hail, 108 F to 14 F.

I also have a '00 Mustang GT, but it doesn't get much more then a thousand miles per year, so it hardly counts...

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

This is what my car looked like prior to The Deer Incident. I'm working on restoring it to it's former glory...

Spoiler:
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

My girl, Alice:
Spoiler:
alice.jpg
alice.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 11703 times

alicesrump.jpg
alicesrump.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 11686 times

and one so people can appreciate how dirty/messy she is inside:
Spoiler:
aliceinside.jpg
aliceinside.jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 11663 times

2006 Toyota Aygo.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

taptap

Postby taptap » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

it is oddly refreshing to see the amount of motorsport/enthusiast people we have here! And I thought I was the only one! Summer's coming... I think it's time the 3S gets an engine rebuild and some 3SX long tube headers + a test pipe, eibach lowering springs and adjustable rear upper control arms, and then taken to Indianapolis Raceway Park for the Tuesday night street legal drags (Oh, how I miss going there. I haven't raced since I had my hopped up Volvo Wagon with a B230FT swap in it....)

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Yeah. I was pretty active in quarter-mile racing, until The Deer Incident. For now, my car's at the shop getting essentials repaired. Hopefully soon, I'll get to the cosmetics, so I can resume my build.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

My (our) Ford Focus Climate in dark grey (1.8l diesel). Took the photo for the scavenger hunt game. It is called Gir and it serves me well. I really wanted a hybrid but the monies didn't work out (and Hubby tried driving his dad's Pryus and hated it).

:oops: edit: I'll actually include the link, shall I?
viewtopic.php?p=614801#p614801

...and edited again for more stooopidness.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

mine is a 2005 Toyota Echo named Summer... she's blue, 5-speed manual transmission, and decorated; some of the stuff from the xkcd diorama last September seemed too cool to take down!! ;) i'll try to remember to take some pics of her once she's been cleaned. (i currently park under a tree... oh the birds!!)
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Return to “General”