How many users of this forum use subsilver?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What skin do you use?

Subsilver (no TeX support)
27
36%
Prosilver (TeX support)
30
39%
This board has different skins?
19
25%
 
Total votes: 76

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:07 am UTC

There are two skins of this board, prosilver and subsilver. Prosilver, fortunately, provides support for embedding LaTeX math in a forum post, which is great. Subsilver, unfortunately does not. A lot of people are great fans of subsilver and dislike prosilver for nostalgic/aesthetic/whatever reasons, despite the lack of TeX support. I'm wondering to what extent people in the math forum here don't use prosilver, and therefore to what extent I should try to format my mathematics using the board tools without LaTeX (e.g. something like this)
∫x2dx = ∫0x t2dt + C
= C + limn->∞ Σi=1n (ix/n)2(x/n)

as opposed to using TeX math (e.g. this)
[math]\int x^2 \, dx = \int_0^x t^2 \, dt + C
= C + \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \left ( \frac{ix}{n} \right )^2\frac{x}{n}[/math]


The first is a lot more work to put together and doesn't look as nice, but displays correctly for all users. The second is a lot easier, for me at least, and looks much nicer, but won't show up properly if you're using subsilver.

P.S. to mods: there's a reason I put the poll in the math forum as opposed to in general or somewhere else, which is that I'm specifically wondering about users of the math forum for TeX-math reasons.

P.P.S. to users: This is a fine forum to put the poll in, because math markup is going to be way more common in here than anywhere else. For the record, users should feel free to use the math and imath tags whenever they want to show something that doesn't show up easily in regular characters. Anyone unwilling to change skins will thus have to deal with reading TeX code raw. At some point I'll make a sticky about this, to replace the old sup/sub announcement. - gmalivuk
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:59 am UTC

I used to be a hard-nosed subsilver user, until everyone started writing in TeX code that I couldn't read for the life of me. prosilver_left is a really good alternative, since I found the right-aligned avatars very aesthetically unpleasant.

In other words, I have no preference for either style, but I'm just here to point out the prosilver_left skin. Not to mention the colours of prosilver have grown on me.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
Qoppa
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:32 pm UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Qoppa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:02 am UTC

I use prosilver_left. It took a bit of getting used to, and I still prefer the look of subsilver, but prosilver is worth it for TeX support.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

User avatar
NathanielJ
Posts: 882
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby NathanielJ » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:11 am UTC

I switched over to ProSilver from SubSilver about 2 days ago. I absolutely hate ProSilver (it's ugly and hard to navigate, IMO), but I like the TeX support. I may switch back soon though if I don't get more used to the different layout any time soon.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:00 am UTC

I, too, dislike prosilver. I think everyone who switched did so for the TeX support, since we all liked the old look, but we like being able to write mathematics more. :?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Bassoon
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 pm UTC
Location: Wisconsin

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Bassoon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:00 am UTC

I voted before I got a chance to switch. Prosilver is win. I like the shakeup. It's a nice change from the typical xkcd fora.

Yesila
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:38 am UTC

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Yesila » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Who needs TeX support... just read the code, no reason to actually convert it into prettyness.

User avatar
jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet
Posts: 5967
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 am UTC

Yesila wrote:Who needs TeX support... just read the code, no reason to actually convert it into prettyness.

You're one of these people who will read something upside down if that's how they open it, right?

pro looks fine now. Its been... a week maybe? Looks fine now. Note to jsMath users - there's a little dohickey in the bottom right of the screen, you can muck around with things like options etc in there. Warning about trying to block the jsMath stuff, a product of using opera and hangtimes and stuff. I set mine to display the math at 150% for a duration of 5 years for instance.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Nimz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Yesila wrote:Who needs TeX support... just read the code, no reason to actually convert it into prettyness.

You're one of these people who will read something upside down if that's how they open it, right?

I second that notion of just reading the LaTeX code. I also write upside-down and/or backwards as a hobby, though, to say nothing of reading upside-down. If I'm desperate to see the pictures, I can just log out. I cannot stand either prosilver while I'm logged in (unread threads ftl), but logged out is... okay. The only annoying thing would be typing LaTeX while in subsilver. I've had to log out to make sure stuff I wrote is formatted correctly.
LOWA

User avatar
jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet
Posts: 5967
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:
Yesila wrote:Who needs TeX support... just read the code, no reason to actually convert it into prettyness.

You're one of these people who will read something upside down if that's how they open it, right?

I second that notion of just reading the LaTeX code. I also write upside-down and/or backwards as a hobby, though, to say nothing of reading upside-down. If I'm desperate to see the pictures, I can just log out. I cannot stand either prosilver while I'm logged in (unread threads ftl), but logged out is... okay. The only annoying thing would be typing LaTeX while in subsilver. I've had to log out to make sure stuff I wrote is formatted correctly.

Fair enough. But be warned,
davean wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:What's the reason for subsilver not being supported?

Because it has been deprecated for months? Subsilver lost support for upgrades back in ether late October or November of 2007.

so in the long run, you might want to go looking for a skin that the forums can use that isn't deprecated, because deprecated means "on the way to being unsupported" and you *will* have to change at some time in the future when the regular updates that davean does clash with subsilver.

This isn't some airy prophecy, this is an accurate description of the planet that we are living on.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8567
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Zohar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

I use prosilver_left. I think it's ugly compared to the simple and sleek subsilver, but it has more features...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5426
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Xanthir » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

I am now on a haxxed Prosilver, but I switched over for the sole purpose of prettifying Tex.

Edit: Oh man I didn't even notice the JsMath thing. Pumping the math up to 150% makes it infinitely more readable.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Ended
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm UTC
Location: The Tower of Flints. (Also known as: England.)

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Ended » Thu May 01, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

prosilver_left now, entirely for the TeX. I had an initial few days of Oh me yarm I DO NOT WANT IT but I got used to it fairly fast. Also, yes, the default jsMath size should be at least 150% (I have it at 200% because I get weird compression artifacts at lower sizes. Also, I like big maths symbols :))
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Yakk » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:You're one of these people who will read something upside down if that's how they open it, right?


I wasn't the person asked, but sure. I've read newspapers upside down on average.

A youth of buying D&D books and splitting the reading with my older brother meant that we both had to learn how to read fast upside down.

The newpaper incident I noticed when I found that the picture looked funny. :)

pro looks fine now. Its been... a week maybe? Looks fine now. Note to jsMath users - there's a little dohickey in the bottom right of the screen, you can muck around with things like options etc in there. Warning about trying to block the jsMath stuff, a product of using opera and hangtimes and stuff. I set mine to display the math at 150% for a duration of 5 years for instance.


Meh, I'm on a board with only prosilver, and I still don't like the feed as much. Then again, I wish there was a trn interface for the board. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
3.14159265...
Irrational (?)
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am UTC
Location: Ajax, Canada

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Where is the "Whats a skin?" option?
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

User avatar
McHell
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm UTC
Location: Ellowen Deeowen

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby McHell » Sat May 03, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

I'm of the "I've picked up there are skins, with *silver in the name, but don't ask me what's their point/advantages/drawbacks" persuasion. Don't fix what's not yet broken (but go ahead and try to break it).

Yes, I read LaTeX code not measurably slower than the nice output, so I don't see the point of shedding skin --- also as I'm switching between (own, borrowed & public) laptops & desktops and different browsers, too much bother. Here we're acting as if LaTeX is a write-only language (know how to write it but not read it anymore)?
[[[EDIT: I was under the impression that we were speaking "skins" as in "downloadable appearance changers" (think WinAmp skins) to be gotten from more or less trusted sources, and not just a button to click in the Control Panel settings. So no real problem switching between machines.]]]

On the contrary, if I'm going to write complex tex code then I'll have to be sure it's syntactically correct --- this is courtesy to the (less proficient, probably) readers, not my own comfort. So either it's simple enough code to be correct at first glance, or I check it elsewhere (hypothetically speaking).

So a TeXy-silver skin is useful only if you write very texy comments regularly.

[[[EDIT: that said, I'll be trying it prosilver-left now, as I can just throw this switch.]]]

User avatar
mudge
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby mudge » Sun May 04, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I tried switching to prosilver when I read that subsilver wasn't supported.

I hated it and switched back.

Also, the attitude from the mods (or at least how it comes across) that I'm a second-class user because I don't use the appropriate skin is irritating enough where I don't see myself hanging around this forum too much longer.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

User avatar
antonfire
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby antonfire » Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 am UTC

Gosh, the attitude from these software designers. The way it comes across is that I'm a second-class user because I don't use the appropriate operating system. So irritating that I can't run their stuff on Windows 95.

Subsilver is deprecated. It happens. Things get out of date and lose support. You can't expect developers to keep everything compatible with everything. Such is the way of things, and that's all the mods have said.

I haven't seen a single post by a mod, in this thread or elsewhere, that implies that subsilver users are "second-class".
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

User avatar
mudge
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby mudge » Sun May 04, 2008 9:35 am UTC

antonfire wrote:Gosh, the attitude from these software designers. The way it comes across is that I'm a second-class user because I don't use the appropriate operating system. So irritating that I can't run their stuff on Windows 95.

Subsilver is deprecated. It happens. Things get out of date and lose support. You can't expect developers to keep everything compatible with everything. Such is the way of things, and that's all the mods have said.

I haven't seen a single post by a mod, in this thread or elsewhere, that implies that subsilver users are "second-class".


You know, the existence of Vista doesn't help your argument. ;)

Now, I will admit that I'm probably reading more into this, but I have an extra gland responsible for producing hatred of bad software developer disregard for end users.

This is the quote I was thinking of:
gmalivuk wrote:Because subsilver is no longer really supported, this and subsequent additions are probably not going to work right with it. You should switch to prosilver or prosilver_left if you really can't stand having the user information on the right side of your posts.

Because while all the resources just mentioned, the math and imath tags are still about the most convenient things for forum users to put into their posts, even if they're slightly less convenient for everyone else to read.


Now, I've run a forum in the past, and I understand that sometimes things are just damn near impossible to implement, but I also know that almost everything is hackable, and if there were a forum where I would expect someone to pipe up and say, "Oh, we can twerk that!" it would be here. I expect these forums to be more like Linux and less like Microsoft (to beat the OS analogy into the ground). Now, if it's just ridiculously prohibitive to figure out how to get TeX and subsilver, fine, I'll accept that as another one of life's annoyances, but there's no tone of "Hey, sorry, I know this sucks, but this is how things work" in gmalivuk's post. All I get from it is, "That doesn't work. Stop using the old skin. It's old. The new skin is better. Get used to it. (implied: Stop whining)"
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Yakk » Sun May 04, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

mudge, write the code yourself. :-)

It appears to be a post-processing scripting step that looks for the TeX in question and replaces it with mathematical symbols. If a feature is lacking and you care enough, go fix it!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
mudge
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby mudge » Sun May 04, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:mudge, write the code yourself. :-)

It appears to be a post-processing scripting step that looks for the TeX in question and replaces it with mathematical symbols. If a feature is lacking and you care enough, go fix it!


If my coding skills were anywhere on this side of atrocious, I would
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Mathmagic » Sun May 04, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

@Mudge

Okay, I don't think you're getting it. They will eventually be removing subsilver from the list of available skins.

Secondly, trying to hack an old skin theme that maybe 25% of members even use, and only 10% have trouble switching to prosilver, is the least of their concern right now.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

User avatar
antonfire
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby antonfire » Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

mudge wrote:You know, the existence of Vista doesn't help your argument. ;)
I'm pretty sure it does, actually.

gmalivuk wrote:Because subsilver is no longer really supported, this and subsequent additions are probably not going to work right with it. You should switch to prosilver or prosilver_left if you really can't stand having the user information on the right side of your posts.
Gosh, the gall of these software developers, suggesting that I should switch to Vista if I want the latest goodies. I like the way Windows 95 looks, dammit!
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5426
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Xanthir » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

mudge wrote:
antonfire wrote:Gosh, the attitude from these software designers. The way it comes across is that I'm a second-class user because I don't use the appropriate operating system. So irritating that I can't run their stuff on Windows 95.

Subsilver is deprecated. It happens. Things get out of date and lose support. You can't expect developers to keep everything compatible with everything. Such is the way of things, and that's all the mods have said.

I haven't seen a single post by a mod, in this thread or elsewhere, that implies that subsilver users are "second-class".


You know, the existence of Vista doesn't help your argument. ;)

Now, I will admit that I'm probably reading more into this, but I have an extra gland responsible for producing hatred of bad software developer disregard for end users.

This is the quote I was thinking of:
gmalivuk wrote:Because subsilver is no longer really supported, this and subsequent additions are probably not going to work right with it. You should switch to prosilver or prosilver_left if you really can't stand having the user information on the right side of your posts.

Because while all the resources just mentioned, the math and imath tags are still about the most convenient things for forum users to put into their posts, even if they're slightly less convenient for everyone else to read.


Now, I've run a forum in the past, and I understand that sometimes things are just damn near impossible to implement, but I also know that almost everything is hackable, and if there were a forum where I would expect someone to pipe up and say, "Oh, we can twerk that!" it would be here. I expect these forums to be more like Linux and less like Microsoft (to beat the OS analogy into the ground). Now, if it's just ridiculously prohibitive to figure out how to get TeX and subsilver, fine, I'll accept that as another one of life's annoyances, but there's no tone of "Hey, sorry, I know this sucks, but this is how things work" in gmalivuk's post. All I get from it is, "That doesn't work. Stop using the old skin. It's old. The new skin is better. Get used to it. (implied: Stop whining)"

The two skins are exactly equivalent, modulo appearances. Do what the cool kids that hate how Prosilver looks do - use Stylish and hack up a new appearance for yourself. Learning enough CSS to do so is a lot easier than learning enough Javascript to duplicate jsMath.

I hate prosilver, but I don't wish extra unnecessary work on davean either. I'm cool with him settling on a single skin (well, two, but prosilver_left is only a line or two of CSS different) if it's easier to handle.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Yakk » Sun May 04, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

mudge wrote:
Yakk wrote:mudge, write the code yourself. :-)

It appears to be a post-processing scripting step that looks for the TeX in question and replaces it with mathematical symbols. If a feature is lacking and you care enough, go fix it!

If my coding skills were anywhere on this side of atrocious, I would

Spend the next 5 to 10 years making them better, instead of getting pissed at people who have made this investment and won't solve your problems for you! :)

Subsilver is a skin that isn't being maintained by a developer. Those who aren't willing to develop, aren't willing to pay other people to develop, and still complain that they aren't being catered to are being silly.

Speaking of solving the problems, the javascript to do this is a script. I wonder if greasemonkey could inject a hacked version of it into an arbitrary skin? Heck, depending on how it might work, pull it off on arbitrary web pages. ;)

As it is JS, it is done on the client side, so the source to the math scripting stuff has to be readable.

Hmm, Xanthir's solution might be easier.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby Nimz » Wed May 07, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Looks like somebody made a greasemonkey hack. Now I just need to figure out what that means. The script is actually pretty short
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name           xkcd forums - jsMath
// @description    Kickstarts jsMath on xkcd forums.
// @namespace      http://koti.mbnet.fi/jyripyy/
// @include        http://forums.xkcd.tld/*
// @include        http://fora.xkcd.tld/*
// @exclude        http://forums.xkcd.tld/download.php?*
// @exclude        http:/fora.xkcd.tld/download.php?*
// ==/UserScript==
var scriptdiv
scriptdiv = document.createElement('div');
scriptdiv.style.visibility = 'hidden';
scriptdiv.innerHTML = '<SCRIPT SRC="/jsMath/plugins/autoload.js"></SCRIPT> \
<SCRIPT> \
  jsMath.Autoload.Run(); \
  jsMath.Process(document); \
</SCRIPT>';
document.body.appendChild(scriptdiv);
I'm with ++$_ that somebody should give jyripyy a cookie (and maybe an internet).
LOWA

masher
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:07 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: How many users of this forum use subsilver?

Postby masher » Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 am UTC

I'm using that GM script now :D


Return to “Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests