The taste of vodka

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Azrael » Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:All I have to say to you all is this. Whiskey or bourbon/coke is fantastic. THAT IS ALL.

It's ... really not that good.

Buy some good bourbon and drink that straight or in a mint julep. Or some rye in a Manhattan. Those are great. Jack and Coke is wasting coke. And money. Money that should've been spent on better booze, mostly. Better whiskey and Coke is ... well, it's better than Jack and Coke. But now you're wasting good whiskey.

Buffalo Trace
Ridgemont 1792
Bulleit
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
WL Weller

All of those are within a couple dollars of Jack (usually on the cheaper side) and are WAY better. For only a couple bucks more than Jack, you have:

Eagle Rare
Woodford Reserve
Bakers (the only *other* one of the Beam's I'm going to list 'cause its 107 proof)

Which are FANTANSTIC. Beyond that, the topmost shelf is still <$50 a bottle:

Blantons
Jefferson's
Rip Van Winkle
Black Maple Hill

And those are just the ones that I know (plus the rest of the Beam line).

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby zenten » Thu May 01, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:All I have to say to you all is this. Whiskey or bourbon/coke is fantastic. THAT IS ALL.

It's ... really not that good.

Buy some good bourbon and drink that straight or in a mint julep. Or some rye in a Manhattan. Those are great. Jack and Coke is wasting coke. And money. Money that should've been spent on better booze, mostly. Better whiskey and Coke is ... well, it's better than Jack and Coke. But now you're wasting good whiskey.

Buffalo Trace
Ridgemont 1792
Bulleit
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
WL Weller

All of those are within a couple dollars of Jack (usually on the cheaper side) and are WAY better.

Eagle Rare
Woodford
Bakers (the only *other* one of the Beam's I'm going to list 'cause its 107 proof)

Are great for the next step up, while:

Blantons
Jefferson's
Rip Van Winkle
Black Maple Hill

Are the top of the top shelves. And those are just the ones that I know (plus the rest of the Beam line).


Up here there isn't that kind of selection, especially not in bars.

If you're getting American whisky, you're pretty much confined to JD. I think there's some other common stuff which tastes the same, and costs slightly more, but I can't remember what it's called. If you're super lucky you might be able to find some sort of bourbon, but likely only one brand. Then there's a bunch of rye you can get (nasty stuff) which is going to either be Canadian or English. Getting a selection of scotch and Irish whiskey isn't too hard either.

The only ones out of that that work with coke are JD, and Irish mist if they have it (ducks). I have no idea on the rest of that funky American whisky, although I do want to try it.

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Azrael » Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Aw jeez, look what happened. Who brought up bourbon in front of me? *glares*

Not all rye is bad. See if you can find Rittenhouse at liquor store, preferably the Bonded one. It won best North American whiskey a couple years ago. And costs $20 for a 750. The regular 80 proof is only $17 or so. And if you're insisting on mixing with Coke ... Old Overholt is dirty cheap. AND GOOD.

The only thing I know about Canadian Whiskey is that Crown Royal is pretty decent. Might be a bit pricey for the quality though?

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby zenten » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Aw jeez, look what happened. Who brought up bourbon in front of me? *glares*

Not all rye is bad. See if you can find Rittenhouse at liquor store, preferably the Bonded one. It won best North American whiskey a couple years ago. And costs $20 for a 750. The regular 80 proof is only $17 or so. And if you're insisting on mixing with Coke ... Old Overholt is dirty cheap. AND GOOD.

The only thing I know about Canadian Whiskey is that Crown Royal is pretty decent. Might be a bit pricey for the quality though?


Crown royal is not for me.

My whisk(e)y preferences go like this.

Irish > American > Scotch > You are now paying me money to drink Rye.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 01, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Azrael wrote:You lose all thread credibility.


No, YOOOOOU lose all thread credibility!

Azrael wrote:zenten wrote:
Jack and coke, delish.
Egads that's a terrible example.

And a terrible thing to do to perfectly good Coke, too.


I raise my makers mark and coke to you, uncouth swine!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby JayDee » Thu May 01, 2008 3:53 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Salt + Popcorn + Melted Butter = Delicious
Salt + Melted Butter = Dear God In Heaven, Why Did I Eat That?!
Dammit SecondTalon, now you have me curious!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby zenten » Thu May 01, 2008 11:42 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
zenten wrote:See, here's what I don't get. When I drink Whiskey, I still taste the alcohol. Same as when I drink a Jack and Coke. But it doesn't taste nasty like vodka.
Basically, I don't get how:

good flavour (coke) + good flavour (non-alchohol stuff in whiskey) + alcohol = yummy
but
good flavour (coke) + alcohol = ick


Salt + Popcorn + Melted Butter = Delicious
Salt + Melted Butter = Dear God In Heaven, Why Did I Eat That?!

Follow?


Not really. Salt + melted butter is tasty, just eating it all by it self in great quantity is too much of a good thing.

User avatar
micco
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby micco » Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Vodka is good, if you put ammonium chloride (salmiakki) in it.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

User avatar
Clem
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:04 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Clem » Thu May 01, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I always say I drink Vodka and Tonic because it just tastes like tonic water that it alcoholic, which is always a good thing, but on reflection, vodka does have a very distinctive taste, quite sharp and refreshing. Adding tonic to it makes it more drinkable for me, at least. It is also apparently low calorie, but poor quality ones seem to have much, much worse after effects than good quality ones, such as Smirnoff or Absolut... Maybe that's just me.
Hurr.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Belial » Thu May 01, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Up here there isn't that kind of selection, especially not in bars.


Recommendation: Don't drink in bars. The selection is terrible, ninety percent of the time the bartender can't mix a drink properly to save his goddamn life, and you're going to be charged three times what the liquor is worth.

Stock a decent liquor cabinet. Drink at home with friends.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 01, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Or by yourself...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby zenten » Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Belial wrote:
zenten wrote:Up here there isn't that kind of selection, especially not in bars.


Recommendation: Don't drink in bars. The selection is terrible, ninety percent of the time the bartender can't mix a drink properly to save his goddamn life, and you're going to be charged three times what the liquor is worth.

Stock a decent liquor cabinet. Drink at home with friends.


Or, I could actually go out and have fun with people, and not have to clean it up afterwords.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 02, 2008 4:41 am UTC

Yeah, cause what happens at a bar is intrinsically more fun, and unlike Canada, NOT IN THE REAL WORLD!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri May 02, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Clem wrote:I always say I drink Vodka and Tonic because it just tastes like tonic water that it alcoholic, which is always a good thing...

Maybe I've only had really bad tonic water (I've heard it described as sweet, which was definitely not my experience), but I don't think I would be able to stomach it without a sweet alcohol like gin to counteract the taste.
Of course, I also wouldn't be able to stomach much gin without something bitter like the quinine in tonic water to counteract it. I've only ever had a few shots of it, but it was far too sweet for my liking.

And this is where I have to admit that I've never had any vodka, and so have nothing of value to contribute to this conversation.

User avatar
Clem
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:04 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Clem » Fri May 02, 2008 10:28 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Maybe I've only had really bad tonic water (I've heard it described as sweet, which was definitely not my experience), but I don't think I would be able to stomach it without a sweet alcohol like gin to counteract the taste.


You should try tonic with Southern Comfort. Now, that really is the perfect combination of sweet/bitter. I usually drink that, but am cutting down as a dietary measure, hence the substitution of vodka. I detest gin, as a rule, but with tonic it's tolerable, at least.
Hurr.

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 02, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

I don't really understand mixing whiskey and Coke. Rum and Coke, I get. Particularly vanilla rum, these days, even though I've never had vanilla Coke. Tastes good. But I like whiskey straight, and I like Coke, and mixing them only ever makes me wish I had one or the other. I do not. Get it.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 03, 2008 4:36 am UTC

zenten wrote:
Belial wrote:
zenten wrote:Up here there isn't that kind of selection, especially not in bars.

Recommendation: Don't drink in bars. The selection is terrible, ninety percent of the time the bartender can't mix a drink properly to save his goddamn life, and you're going to be charged three times what the liquor is worth.
Stock a decent liquor cabinet. Drink at home with friends.

Or, I could actually go out and have fun with people, and not have to clean it up afterwords.

Personally, I'll take cleaning up afterwards in exchange for actually being able to have a conversation. You keep the massive crowds and overpowering music.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby zenten » Sat May 03, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah, cause what happens at a bar is intrinsically more fun, and unlike Canada, NOT IN THE REAL WORLD!


Not intrinsically. It's just different is all, and neither one can fully replace the other.

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Clem wrote:I always say I drink Vodka and Tonic because it just tastes like tonic water that it alcoholic, which is always a good thing...

Maybe I've only had really bad tonic water (I've heard it described as sweet, which was definitely not my experience), but I don't think I would be able to stomach it without a sweet alcohol like gin to counteract the taste.
Of course, I also wouldn't be able to stomach much gin without something bitter like the quinine in tonic water to counteract it. I've only ever had a few shots of it, but it was far too sweet for my liking.


You know gin is the alcohol, non-fuzzy part, and the tonic is the non-alcoholic, fuzzy part, right? Also, you know that sugar is sweet, and paint thinner is bitter, right?

SecondTalon wrote:
zenten wrote:
Belial wrote:
zenten wrote:Up here there isn't that kind of selection, especially not in bars.

Recommendation: Don't drink in bars. The selection is terrible, ninety percent of the time the bartender can't mix a drink properly to save his goddamn life, and you're going to be charged three times what the liquor is worth.
Stock a decent liquor cabinet. Drink at home with friends.

Or, I could actually go out and have fun with people, and not have to clean it up afterwords.

Personally, I'll take cleaning up afterwards in exchange for actually being able to have a conversation. You keep the massive crowds and overpowering music.


Sorry, I realize my mistake, I always call pubs "bars".

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby SecondTalon » Sun May 04, 2008 4:30 am UTC

Every bar I've been in has had overpowering music and even louder conversation hum requiring that you damn near shout to people sitting right next to you. Because we're fucking idiots in America.

I'd LOVE to go in to a bar without music. So I can actually talk to people.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 04, 2008 5:49 am UTC

As a rule, the only bars I attend - as they don't make me want to gouge my eyes out and pierce my eardrums with chopsticks - are those that are quiet and 'conversation with your buddies and other barflies' oriented as opposed to "I AM SEXUALLY AVAILABLE WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!"

I assure you, they exist. The one I love that's currently closed for repairs always has silent films playing in the one television, which is just so damn appropriate.

Bakemaster wrote:I don't really understand mixing whiskey and Coke. Rum and Coke, I get. Particularly vanilla rum, these days, even though I've never had vanilla Coke. Tastes good. But I like whiskey straight, and I like Coke, and mixing them only ever makes me wish I had one or the other. I do not. Get it.


I don't understand adding extra flavoring alcohols [vanilla, fruits, etc]. It tastes fake and sugary and I get a head ache.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby TheTankengine » Sun May 04, 2008 6:37 am UTC

ST, try Jock's. It's under new ownership now, but a couple weeks ago it's a VERY local place with little to no music. It's on breckenridge.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
Posts: 8933
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: One of those hot places

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Bakemaster » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I don't understand adding extra flavoring alcohols [vanilla, fruits, etc]. It tastes fake and sugary and I get a head ache.

With the vanilla rum, I've decided that the best thing about it is the aroma. The Coke is actually sweeter than the rum, so it doesn't make the drink sickly, and the vanilla smell is stronger than the vanilla taste so it goes sort of like, raise glass, smell vanilla, taste alcoholic (and slightly thicker than normal) Coke. It's no more fake-tasting to me than Coke is to begin with.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

User avatar
UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 am UTC
Location: Insomnia Island
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat May 10, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
mathmagic wrote:FWIW, I usually just tend to go with something like Captain Morgan's for mixing drinks, if that makes a difference. I haven't really tried mixing with "good" rum.

That isn't good rum? My standards are too low. I actually prefer the Captain to Bacardi because, oddly enough, I didn't think Bacardi added enough flavor. Although I still haven't tried their spiced rum yet.

I have so much drinking to catch up on.


No no no no NO!
Bacardi is not good rum at all, not even close, don't touch that crap. There are much cheaper rums that are much better than either of those. Basically anything you've never seen advertised is probably better than Bacardi. The slightly pricier rums are really good, but if you are looking for something cheap and easily available there are a lot of options, I currently like Gosling or Jack Tar Superior for dark and Cruzan for light, but there isn't a ton of selection here, so I'm biased by what I can actually find of course. Pineapple juice and Gosling Black Seal is my current rum drink of choice and is great (and you can hide a lot of 151 proof rum in the pineapple...)

Also, how did this thread turn into a list of what alcohols are better with COKE.
WHY ARE YOU RUINING PERFECTLY GOOD LIQUOR (and even Bacardi)WITH SODA.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Belial » Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Because it tastes good?

But yeah, Gosling Black Seal is really good, as is Meyers Dark. Both are also delicious in rum cake.

Mount Gay is also tasty.

I have some Cruzan Rum Cream which is tasty as hell, so I'll take your word on it that their light rum is tasty. By "take your word on it" I mean "Go out and buy some".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 am UTC
Location: Insomnia Island
Contact:

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sun May 11, 2008 1:21 am UTC

I like Mount Gay too. As for the Cruzan, they are pretty good overall, but I will give the disclaimer that I don't ever drink light rum straight (unlike dark), so I'm not sure how it holds up for non-mixed purposes. But I can verify that it is quite good for what I use it for (mixed drinks of all kinds, and generic rum+fruit juice).

And I don't feel so ranty now that I've had a bit of this sleep thing.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

User avatar
Flying Betty
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am UTC
Location: Next Tuesday

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Flying Betty » Sun May 11, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Yes to the Cruzan rum! Dammit, now I is wanting some right now. And not only do I not have any, but I can't get any because the only liquor store I've found around here, excluding grocery stores, is beyond sketchy.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

User avatar
Mr. Mack
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:26 am UTC
Location: If I must.

Re: The taste of vodka

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:41 am UTC

I'm reviving this thread. I just thought of something. Does anyone have any litmus paper?

Here's the thing. Wikipedia claims that pure ethanol is slightly basic. If so, then that would support those who claimed vodka is slightly bitter.

However, when I tried to independently verify that information, I found several sources that simply referred to ethanol as an acid as well as a few that said it could function as both (and one source that explicitly said ethanol is flavorless). So maybe the ethanol is reacting with something before filtration or is reacting with something in the water (like if they used mineral water), that causes its OH- ion to dissociate.

When I actually tried to look up the pH of vodka, I got answers ranging from 2 to 11. But most of the answers were in the acidic range. Which I guess might suggest a different reaction is taking place (or a different flavor). To make this more complicated, I did find the first page of a study that said vodka absorbs some of the elements in the bottle. I can't find it now, and I could only read the first page for free, and it was 30 years old; but it did mention sodium, aluminum, and magnesium and the production of NaOH ("which reacted with" then they wanted money).

tl,dr version: If vodka does have a flavor, I want to know why. I think pH may be involved.
Plus it'd be cool if the vodka drinkers here could say, "Vodka does have a flavor SCIENCE! proved it."
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!


Return to “Food”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests