All things GTA4 (Merged threads)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pixel

Re: All things GTA4 (Merged threads)

Postby Pixel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:Is it possible to drive while drunk in the game? By "possible to drive", I mean, can you get in the car and make the car move (rather than driving effectively), and by "drunk", I mean solidly wasted.

Edit: It sounds like a stupid question, but from the couple of things I've heard about trying to walk home, and what that one person said that I can't read because the thread review is mysteriosly missing, it sounds kinda like you're not allowed somehow. Which wouldn't be that surprising to me, since in the USA, people get as freaked out about drunk driving as they do about child prawnography.

You can drive drunk. The first time you try it your cousin tells you something like "You have to be the biggest idiot in the world to drive drunk Niko.", but doesn't stop you. And the car goes but weaves on its own, and the controls are erratic and don't function correctly. Also if any cop spots you, driving drunk (even if you aren't crashing) they will immediately try to pull you over and arrest you.

So they made it possible but the game tells you and shows you how stupid it is.

Oh and "Going out drinking" isn't a minigame or anything. you decide to do that, go to a bar and time jumps a few hours ahead and you then stumble outside falling down drunk. Niko stumles around and weaves while the camera bobs and weaves, fast camera movement will result in the scene blurring, controls become more of a vague suggestion than useful directions. Your character then sobers up over the course of the next few hours (gametime) which takes about 5-10minutes (realtime).
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
lowbart wrote: the scene blurring, controls become more of a vague suggestion than useful directions.

Due to my clumsy thumbs (I'm not used to consoles) and my friend's blurry TV, it probably wouldn't be that much of a difference for me.

I have to try it this evening.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

@Lowbart:

Takes a number of missions, but from where I've gotten to, there is at least one gun shop.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu May 01, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Has anyone been watching TV? It's absolutely brilliant. Republican Space Rangers is some of the best satire you will ever come across.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu May 01, 2008 2:10 am UTC

The Republic Space Rangers is a riot. It's amazing that the designers chose to include something so trivial as television content.

Small question but it might spoil the in game cartoon:
Spoiler:
Is that the Halo ring they are flying towards at the end of the episode?

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Thu May 01, 2008 2:21 am UTC

My roommate got GTA4 today (just a day or so before we all leave for summer and he gets the 360 :/). I haven't played it, but it looks simply awesome.

There were two times I was simply struck by the horror of certain actions:
1: My roommate was walking down the sidewalk with a shotgun in his hands, then casually headshotted a guy and his girlfriend.
2: He rammed another car, which lit on fire, and a middle-aged woman got out of the car, on fire, screaming until she died.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu May 01, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

I'm surprised they didn't make it so people get freaked out if you just walk around with your gun out.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

I'm quite pleased myself.

My funny story:

So I'm driving down the street on my way to Michelle's to pick her up for a date (I'm thinking Cabaret Club). When I accidentally crash into the back of a cop car, who proceeds to follow me. So I do my thing to escape (mind you I'm on a time limit here) but he's a sticky copper and I can't seem to get away (I'm driving in an SUV of some sort). So I decide that I need a faster car. I get out...run up to a little Honda looking thing and open the door to pull the guy out. Unfortunately I couldn't get away fast enough because I was in a bit of a traffic jam. So the dude gets up and tries to pull ME back out of his car. So I pull away causing the door to slam shut on his arm (or something). So now I'm running from the cops with a dude hooked to my car (and oh by the way, wanted level has gone up now also). So I'm driving down the road thinking "Ok...now what...I KNOW! I'll scrape the guy off on another car!!". So I step on the gas and sideswipe another car pinning the dude in between the two and sending him flying over the roof of my new car. The dude's body goes sailing into the windshield of the cop car behind me (I saw all of this with the rear look thing) causing him to swerve and slam into an old lady in a station wagon which catches on fire. She jumps out (burning) and gets hit by another car. I'm laughing hysterically at this point and proceed to drive to Michelle's house like nothing had happened.

This game fucking RULES!!!
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu May 01, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

MADD and Jack Thompson have found out about the drunk driving and jumped on it like hyenas on a dead... well, whatever hyenas eat.

slashdot
associated press

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 01, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

You know, if GTA4 was about petting kittens, Jack Thompson would be pissed off that you weren't hugging them too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

I really hope the PC port hurries up.
'course, even then it will never ever work on my computer.
ever.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri May 02, 2008 1:59 am UTC

jerdak wrote:
Spoiler:
Is that the Halo ring they are flying towards at the end of the episode?

I think so. I'd love to see more, but it wouldn't be as funny if it were a whole series I suppose.

Myself and a few friends played the Cops 'N' Crooks multiplayer mode for about three hours earlier. It's endless, brilliant fun. Half the cop team was already dead, and four people were on the boat with a fourth cop shooting at them, when myself and the last teammate splattered him against the wall, parked up and started making our way to the boat. We thought we were pretty much home and dry - I swam out to the boat and jumped in to find there were no seats left, so I just stood up for all of two seconds before my brains were blown out with a sniper rifle. Ten seconds later and two more of us were dead before the rest of the team decided to cut the losses and power off. We won the round, but there was certainly panic for a bit!

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Fri May 02, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I'm surprised they didn't make it so people get freaked out if you just walk around with your gun out.

They do. I've seen people react to me simply holding the gun. Maybe different people react differently in different areas. Anyways, that's another thing I love about this game: the high amount of different pedestrians. In the old games there were maybe only 30 different character models, in GTA4 I've only seem the same person twice, and that is normally very spread apart.

Just the interactions between the people is amazing, like if they crash, they'll both get out of their cars and start talking to each other. It's just a fun game in general, and the story is loads better than the previous ones, it feels a lot more like an RPG now, which is really nice.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sat May 03, 2008 5:00 am UTC

I'm trying to be as good a human being as I can possibly manage. I spare the lives of people I don't necessarily have to kill.

That's one thing I like about IV more than the others: you can, if you want, be something other than a cold-hearted murderer.

wst

Postby wst » Sat May 03, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Pandercolour wrote:That's one thing I like about IV more than the others: you can, if you want, be something other than a cold-hearted murderer.

You can be a warm-hearted murderer.
Kill the parents, fund the kid's education.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Pandercolour

Postby Pandercolour » Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

wst wrote:
Pandercolour wrote:That's one thing I like about IV more than the others: you can, if you want, be something other than a cold-hearted murderer.

You can be a warm-hearted murderer.
Kill the parents, fund the kid's education.

To be fair, in Liberty City, the parents were probably dealing coke and trafficking people. They had it coming. :P

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun May 04, 2008 1:42 am UTC

This is a great game :D So cathartic to play sometimes.

Observations:
-If you swim for too long you start to get too tired and lose health (eventually drowning.)
-Pigeons.
-Picking up small hand sized objects and then throwing them into peoples faces is great.
-Hookers now have set price services :D
-Ricky Gervais on the TV.
-The internet site about american tourist information about going to europe, hilarious.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Sun May 04, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

The multiplayer is awesome, although I've discovered a few things (at least in Free Mode):

- As soon as someone discovers where the helicopters are, all gameplay goes out the window and all that's left is half a dozen bastards dogfighting three feet from the ground, and you on the street, trying to shoot them down with a pistol.

- The strange phenomenon of all traffic disappearing the moment you need a vehicle carries over to multiplayer, although sometimes a random player will barge in and run you over as you are jacking a pedestrian.

- Whenever you hear the sound of an engine, look up. If it's not a chopper, then it's some wanker in a 4WD (yanks: an SUV) descending upon you from higher ground.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Damn, this game is fantastic! I like it a hell of a lot more than 3/spinoffs. Strangely, I haven't jacked a car yet, and obey stoplights. I have one question; Do the clothing stores in better neighborhoods have better clothing? Niko seriously needs a sport coat, or blazer or something.
To me it feels a bit like a deranged Animal Crossing, which is a pretty neat vibe, all things considered.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon May 05, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Pandercolour wrote:I'm trying to be as good a human being as I can possibly manage. I spare the lives of people I don't necessarily have to kill.

That's one thing I like about IV more than the others: you can, if you want, be something other than a cold-hearted murderer.

I do that too, but mainly because I don't want to bother with running away from the police.

I steal cars compulsively though, because I want to find out how they handle and what they're called.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Mon May 05, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Mister_Penguin wrote:Strangely, I haven't jacked a car yet, and obey stoplights.

Wow, how on earth do you do that? I go through cars like I go through toilet paper! Just now I'm playing the mission where I have to follow this dude, and it's about the first time I've driven sanely.

Personally I think they should go easy on the grey fuzzy shaders, and the boat-like car handling takes a bit to get used to. Also, I really liked how in San Andreas, there were lots of rural areas between the cities, and that seems to be gone.

Other than that, this is pretty awesome. It's nice that the main character finally talks and is even somewhat funny.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:
Mister_Penguin wrote:Strangely, I haven't jacked a car yet, and obey stoplights.

Wow, how on earth do you do that?

Maybe by taking taxis.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
TomBot wrote:

Wow, how on earth do you do that?

Maybe by taking taxis.

Well I suppose having a car in a big city doesn't really make sense, especially with all the public transit options. :)

My new "when I'm bored" game, driving a motorcycle through the gaps on the police roadblock to the other island, then managing to drive to the far side of that island and back to the starting island without getting caught or killed. I've managed it a few times, but the motorcycle rarely survives more than about 1/3rd of the trip.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

archan

Postby archan » Mon May 05, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

I wish I had an effective way of capturing my gameplay on video, I would have such wondrous scenes to share...

PROTIP: grenades = loling

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 05, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:Also, I really liked how in San Andreas, there were lots of rural areas between the cities, and that seems to be gone.

Well yeah, this is set in one city and San Andreas was set in a three-city county. I do miss burning round the coastal freeway on a chopper blasting K-DST at high volume, but there's no real way to put it in this game, and unfortunately it does mean the driving isn't quite as enjoyable. City driving never is. I'm hoping there'll be another game set in San Andreas.

Do the clothing stores in better neighborhoods have better clothing?

Yes. I am currently sporting a razor-sharp slate suit with black loafers.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Mon May 05, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:I'm hoping there'll be another game set in San Andreas.

What? Really? I hated all that empty land, there was nothing, it was just boring to look at. Sure riding a motorcycle was fun when you were going as fast as you could, but there was no depth to the scenery, or anything for that matter. I mean, yeah, the city is really large in GTA4, and its kinda annoying to go place from place sometimes, but its never boring, there's always something to look at.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote: I mean, yeah, the city is really large in GTA4

The map's larger in SA actually. I prefer that, though. I loved being able to go for a nice drive listening to the radio and while looking at the (slowly loading) scenery. I liked the fact there was some empty land and you weren't constantly bombarded with cars from all directions, pedestrians and so on. It's very hard to get a decent car up to full speed in 4 and I liked the variety. City and country. It's all city in GTA4. There's no giant mountain to cycle up and race down or base jump from, or marijuana farms in the middle of nowhere. I loved the strange things you could find where it seemed there was nothing.

It's one of the two things I really miss - the second being able to jump into a taxi/ambulance/police car and do missions in those. I don't really understand why they removed that from the game.

archan

Postby archan » Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote: I mean, yeah, the city is really large in GTA4

The map's larger in SA actually. I prefer that, though. I loved being able to go for a nice drive listening to the radio and while looking at the (slowly loading) scenery. I liked the fact there was some empty land and you weren't constantly bombarded with cars from all directions, pedestrians and so on. It's very hard to get a decent car up to full speed in 4 and I liked the variety. City and country. It's all city in GTA4. There's no giant mountain to cycle up and race down or base jump from, or marijuana farms in the middle of nowhere. I loved the strange things you could find where it seemed there was nothing.

It's one of the two things I really miss - the second being able to jump into a taxi/ambulance/police car and do missions in those. I don't really understand why they removed that from the game.

How far through the game are you? I have a playtime of 10 hours and I can do vigilante and taxi missions. Not sure about paramedic and firefighter, perhaps they will open up later.
The reason GTA IV is set in Liberty City again is that it's a new iteration - I, II, and III were all set in Liberty City (NYC). I expect they will expand the game map in the subsequent versions of this generation, perhaps a revisit to VC and SA, although I heard they may design one around Chicago.

The other consequence of Rockstar moving into the new generation is that they changed the general feel of things with regards to realism. So no more silly things like tanks or jetpacks, having the army chase you or missions where you break into an army base on your lonesome. Actually now that I think of it, for that reason the paramedic and firefighter missions might not be available after all. Well being an ambulance driver would be plausible... but I always thought it was weird how firefighting missions worked.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 am UTC

I haven't played GTA4 yet since I don't have a 360 or PS3, but I've been playing a lot of Vice City and San Andreas lately. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that it's all city, one of the things I really like about San Andreas over Vice City is that, since everything is more spread apart, you can actually get a good idea of where you are without looking at the map. It's hard to find landmarks and recognize streets when it's just buildings towering everywhere.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue May 06, 2008 9:36 am UTC

the second being able to jump into a taxi/ambulance/police car and do missions in those. I don't really understand why they removed that from the game.

... They didn't. o.O

The multiplayer in this game owns, I'm particularly a fan of Cops & Crooks. There's nothing in this world as satisfying as headshotting the Boss with a pistol as the crooks soar away in the escape helicopter, confident that they've won.

If anyone wants to play on the PSN, add me: Dormin .

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue May 06, 2008 9:48 am UTC

archan wrote:The reason GTA IV is set in Liberty City again is that it's a new iteration - I, II, and III were all set in Liberty City (NYC). I expect they will expand the game map in the subsequent versions of this generation, perhaps a revisit to VC and SA, although I heard they may design one around Chicago.

GTA was set in Liberty City, Vice City & San Andreas, with the expansions set in London. GTA II was set in Anywhere City. I'm personally hoping for the next 'expansion', like Vice City and San Andreas, will be set in London again, as the Getaway wasn't good enough for more than a few hours' frustrating fun. (Although car damage was a bit more realistic than the GTA staple of white smoke, black smoke, boom). Or maybe somewhere more grimier and industrialised, like an Eastern European/Russian Satellite state city. Or even Paris or Rome. Imagine that!

Also, having a GTA IV: The Expansion set in prohibition-era Chicago would be excellent. It worked for Gangsters, and GTA's a little more advanced from that now.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Pixel wrote:
lowbart wrote:Is it possible to drive while drunk in the game? By "possible to drive", I mean, can you get in the car and make the car move (rather than driving effectively), and by "drunk", I mean solidly wasted.

Edit: It sounds like a stupid question, but from the couple of things I've heard about trying to walk home, and what that one person said that I can't read because the thread review is mysteriosly missing, it sounds kinda like you're not allowed somehow. Which wouldn't be that surprising to me, since in the USA, people get as freaked out about drunk driving as they do about child prawnography.

You can drive drunk. The first time you try it your cousin tells you something like "You have to be the biggest idiot in the world to drive drunk Niko.", but doesn't stop you. And the car goes but weaves on its own, and the controls are erratic and don't function correctly. Also if any cop spots you, driving drunk (even if you aren't crashing) they will immediately try to pull you over and arrest you.

So they made it possible but the game tells you and shows you how stupid it is.

Oh and "Going out drinking" isn't a minigame or anything. you decide to do that, go to a bar and time jumps a few hours ahead and you then stumble outside falling down drunk. Niko stumles around and weaves while the camera bobs and weaves, fast camera movement will result in the scene blurring, controls become more of a vague suggestion than useful directions. Your character then sobers up over the course of the next few hours (gametime) which takes about 5-10minutes (realtime).

i really liked this aspect of IV - that its no longer hedonism and sociopathy alone. the characters have stories of their own and have moral dilemmas and so forth about the lives they lead.
Spoiler:
i love when you go driving with dwayne and he talks about how he wanted to be a cop, and dealing has never made him happy, and how torn up his brothers (friends?) are when saint michael dies.

its refreshing to have a game that, while dealing with crime, has a strong anti-crime message and IT DOESN'T FEEL FORCED. thank you, rockstar, for impressing the socks off me.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 11:14 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
the second being able to jump into a taxi/ambulance/police car and do missions in those. I don't really understand why they removed that from the game.

... They didn't. o.O

Oh? I know you can do taxi missions for Roman, but you have to phone him first. How do you do Vigilante or Medic missions then?
How far through the game are you? I have a playtime of 10 hours and I can do vigilante and taxi missions. Not sure about paramedic and firefighter, perhaps they will open up later.

Much further than that, so I have no idea how I've missed it...

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue May 06, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

... I don't know how you got that far without finding out then. Not only is it laid out for you in missions, but people will text you about stuff like that at certain points as well. Vigilante missions, for example, are shown to you in the mission where you've got to hunt some guy down using a police computer. That's an early Brucie mission, I think.

Have you not been playing the missions or something? Play through the storyline, it's the best way to learn all the new features/how to access the old ones.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:... I don't know how you got that far without finding out then. Not only is it laid out for you in missions, but people will text you about stuff like that at certain points as well. Vigilante missions, for example, are shown to you in the mission where you've got to hunt some guy down using a police computer. That's an early Brucie mission, I think.

Have you not been playing the missions or something? Play through the storyline, it's the best way to learn all the new features/how to access the old ones.

Yeah, I've been playing them all. And I've hunted down people using the police computer - while on a mission. But I don't recall any situation where I can - like in SA - jump into a police car, click the right stick, and be given someone to hunt.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue May 06, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Fearbears?! wrote:... I don't know how you got that far without finding out then. Not only is it laid out for you in missions, but people will text you about stuff like that at certain points as well. Vigilante missions, for example, are shown to you in the mission where you've got to hunt some guy down using a police computer. That's an early Brucie mission, I think.

Yeah, I've been playing them all. And I've hunted down people using the police computer - while on a mission. But I don't recall any situation where I can - like in SA - jump into a police car, click the right stick, and be given someone to hunt.

You can jump into a police car and click RB (on the 360, not sure about ps3) and it will give you the police computer. It even tells you when you get in.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

hyperion wrote:You can jump into a police car and click RB (on the 360, not sure about ps3) and it will give you the police computer. It even tells you when you get in.

Yes. I know this. What I mean is, how do you go chasing after someone then? Do you have to access the computer, look through the files, choose someone to go after and have them put on the map for you? What was wrong with the old system? Grab a police car, start vigilante missions. Done.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 06, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

God forbid they change something up in a ground-up sequel. Maybe they should have just rereleased SA then everything would be exactly as you expect it, right?

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:God forbid they change something up in a ground-up sequel. Maybe they should have just rereleased SA then everything would be exactly as you expect it, right?

Dear lord, way to misrepresent someone. I express misgivings about one change and suddenly I want everything the way it was. There's plenty of stuff they didn't change, why this?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 06, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

Because now it gives you freedom to choose which mission to undertake, rather than whatever it feels like.

Return to “Gaming”