Iron Sky (pre production)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Iron Sky (pre production)

Postby yy2bggggs » Sat May 10, 2008 1:27 am UTC

They went to the moon in 1945. In 2018 they're coming back.

Pre production teaser
http://www.ironsky.net/
yy2bggggs

Re: Iron Sky (pre production)

Postby Leonard, Part 5 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Saw the trailer for this on Slashdot a few days ago. Looks like it should be fun. It'll be interesting to see what the Star Wreck guys do with some professional resources.
http://jehovah.teaches-yoga.com - Mysteries of the Worm (and Such): I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness.
Leonard, Part 5

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

So the official trailer is up. Pretty bizarre.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

It's coming out in 1,5 months or so, right?
ArgonV

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:It's coming out in 1,5 months or so, right?
April 4th. So yeah.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby zeitpfeil » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 am UTC

Just saw the premiere, I have to say it sometimes missed a common thread, but I liked it. I was especially surprised at the quality of the special effects, considering the budget.
Also surprising was the amount of german spoken, which was a bonus for me (I'm german) because some jokes got lost in the subtitles.
zeitpfeil

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

I can only find this movie in German theatres. Not that much of a problem, since my German is probably good enough to understand most of it and I live near the border with Germany, but then many of my friends probably won't go, due to a lack of German proficiency :cry:
ArgonV

Postby zeitpfeil » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Some german theaters show the movie in english, I don't know if they are reasonable close to you, but on the iron sky site is a link to a list of german theaters
with the info which language is shown. I can't post links yet but I hope it's ok if I post the url:
http://www.polyband.de/facebook/ironsky/liste.html
zeitpfeil

Postby ArgonV » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:51 am UTC

Hmm. Then Munster would be closest. But that's still 75 km. Thanks!
ArgonV

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

I've been waiting for this film since I saw that teaser trailer years ago. And tonight, I found it for sale on sale on DVD.

That. Was. Epic.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed May 30, 2012 10:58 am UTC

I think for the UK release the distributors could only put it on for 1 day of cinema nationwide, presumably compensating by getting a quick DVD release. The local theatre for where I'm at in Australia had it nearly 2 weeks, with local media seemed to be claiming piece-of-the-pie production bragging rights for the region.

I thought the film would be a lot more straight-up "Nahtsee-killin' bizniss" than it was and it certainly surprised me with a few 'plot twists' that weren't exposed in the trailers.

Film end spoiler:
Spoiler:
Did anyone else notice the 'nuclear missile impact report' tones from the indie sim DEFCON pinging when the Earth powers went at it just before the credits kicked in? Absolutely certain that was the source sound.
Position vacant: new signature. No experience necessary, apply within.
User title GET.
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am UTC

Spoiler:
I did notice that, and it was a nice touch. And kind of sad that even after the space Nazis were defeated, the world goes to nuclear war over moon oil.

I also noticed that Asian PR lady's rant near the beginning was a homage to Hitler's meme-tastic rant in Downfall.

All in all, I think that was the most fun I've had watching a film for a long time. My one small niggle is that there was no acknowledgment that the space Nazis should be feeling damned uncomfortable in 6 times the gravity that they're used to once they get to earth. They could at least have hand waved it by saying they had hard physical training on the moon.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:19 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:All in all, I think that was the most fun I've had watching a film for a long time. My one small niggle is that there was no acknowledgment that the space Nazis should be feeling damned uncomfortable in 6 times the gravity that they're used to once they get to earth. They could at least have hand waved it by saying they had hard physical training on the moon.

I guess a side effect of using vacuum tubes in space is artificial gravity based on how they stroll around the moon base likes its 1 earth standard, NASA should get on this ASAP.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri
Gellert1984

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

Yet the black guy survived without a scratch after a fall that would have been fatal in Earth gravity.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

It was his spacesuit?
ArgonV

Postby Jorpho » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:59 am UTC

I just saw this film. A most impressive production indeed! It is far more than camp value. I didn't quite get the ending, though; it's an unusual down note compared to the rollicking nature of the rest of the film. I guess they were going for some sort of Dr. Strangelove vibe?

ArgonV wrote:I can only find this movie in German theatres. Not that much of a problem, since my German is probably good enough to understand most of it and I live near the border with Germany, but then many of my friends probably won't go, due to a lack of German proficiency :cry:
I thought they couldn't show anything Nazi-related in Germany at all, what with Section 86a and all. Or did that expire?
Jorpho

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 am UTC

I thought the ending was pretty good.

Spoiler:
What war against Nazis doesn't end up with someone getting nuked? Anyway I thought it was a pretty powerful note to end on, to contrast the silliness of the rest of the film.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby zeitpfeil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote: I thought they couldn't show anything Nazi-related in Germany at all, what with Section 86a and all. Or did that expire?

There are exceptions in the law for works of art, science etc. (Fun fact: some judges tried to prohibit the use of crossed out swastikas which were used to symbolize protest against nazism, because a swastika is a swastika, no matter the context)
zeitpfeil

Return to Movies and TV Shows