Paint My Truck!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sulla158

Paint My Truck!

Postby Sulla158 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 am UTC

So I'm going off to college this year and instead of buying a new car I was thinking I might just finish repairing the rust on my 1987 S10 and drive it around there. The thing is, if I'm going to go to the trouble of painting it myself (its not worth paying a professional) I'd like to do something different than the usual single solid color. A whiteboard door might be nice, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Any design ideas would be appreciated, but keep in mind I'm an engineering major not an art student, so much as I might like to; painting Starry Night on my hood is probably beyond me.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

random_kitty

Re: Paint My Truck!

Postby random_kitty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 am UTC

A possibly entirely an improbable response - but how about one large panel with chalk-board (blackboard) paint? Then you and your friends can use chalk to decorate it and it can be wiped clean with a cloth or the rain.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 am UTC

random_kitty wrote:A possibly entirely an improbable response - but how about one large panel with chalk-board (blackboard) paint? Then you and your friends can use chalk to decorate it and it can be wiped clean with a cloth or the rain.

An idea I'll have to keep in mind should I ever own a car. I vote that one.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:06 am UTC

random_kitty wrote:A possibly entirely an improbable response - but how about one large panel with chalk-board (blackboard) paint? Then you and your friends can use chalk to decorate it and it can be wiped clean with a cloth or the rain.

This is the best thing.

Either that or you paint a generic fantasy thing on the side. Like a dragon beheading a unicorn with a flaming mace.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 am UTC

I think random_kitty just won the topic. I seriously can't think of anything that would top that.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:37 am UTC

great idea but i think the only way it would work is if you actually made the exterior of the car out of slate. Standard car paint isnt going to work with chalk and non-standard car paint probably isn't going to hold up to weather.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I know certain art stores sell a certain type of paint for turning surfaces into chalkboards.

I would not suggest stripping the usual car-grade paint off first - but yeah improbable but funky idea.

You mentioned going away to collage. How about a collection of test pots. Get team mates, workmates, friends, and anyone you would get to sign your yearbook to sign your van (obviously checking for obscenities).
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:46 am UTC

"FREE CANDY"

No but seriously, you know those toy cars that change colour when exposed to heat? Can real cars not be painted like this?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:"FREE CANDY"

No but seriously, you know those toy cars that change colour when exposed to heat? Can real cars not be painted like this?

I'm fairly certain that's a dye in the plastic, not paint.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 am UTC

wing wrote:

So you'd have to cover the car in a special dyed plastic?

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 am UTC

I'd say an xkcd comic, but those might be hard to replicate. (...oh crap, I just did say it! >.<)

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 am UTC

wing wrote:

It could be thermochromic paint, it would turn clear when exposed to certain temperatures, and then there would be another layer of colour underneath.
If you had several layers that disappeared at different temperatures you could tell the temperature by your car, that would be awesome.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Scan big images or something and stick them on there with something permanent. So you could have like, a poster of your favorite bands, xkcd comics, generic fantasy scenes, other cool-type stuff.

Another idea: Coat the car in quick-drying cement.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

There's a car that drives around my university that's painted up to look like spiderman. It has various blue and red panels and then has the oldschool spiderman logo on the front.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

The chalkboard car thing is pretty easy to do. I have seen at least two cars done that way before and both held up pretty well. One was in Texas and exposed to a lot of heat, and the other was in New England and exposed to snowy winters. So there is good odds it'll work for you. I think both just used the regular chalkboard paint you can buy anywhere.

Rustoleum apparently makes a dry-erase paint too if you want to go that route.

If you want to get fancy about it, use both and do a two-tone finish like Chevy put on tons of it's high-end trucks.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

I think I'll have to try the chalkboard idea out, probably on the doors or something. I like the idea of stickers and stuff I'd get to feel like a nascar driver going around town. I'm pretty sure I could make a low grade replica of the current xkcd comic on the chalkboard it being stick figures and all.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

mazzilliu

Postby mazzilliu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

there's an iridescent paint you can put on your car that changes the look from blue to green to red, etc, as the angle of the viewer or the sun changes. i don't know where you get it and i can count on one hand the number of cars i've seen with it, but it's my favorite color of car.

EDIT: THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGdvvfJpsM
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

mazzilliu wrote:there's an iridescent paint you can put on your car that changes the look from blue to green to red, etc, as the angle of the viewer or the sun changes. i don't know where you get it and i can count on one hand the number of cars i've seen with it, but it's my favorite color of car.

EDIT: THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGdvvfJpsM

The comments on that video suggest that he could buy a new car for the amount of money he'd spend on that particular paint job. $18,000, I read. Of course, it is a comment on YouTube, so it's highly probable that the commenter is a complete moron, but still.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Proffesional grade color-shifting paint is stupid expensive. Last time I saw a price it was around $1,000/gallon and it takes a few gallons to paint the car. If that $18K figure included bodywork, priming, blocking, and painting with a color-shift paint & clearcoating it is an entirely feasible figure.

You can buy kits to supposedly cause that effect at some auto parts stores. They are a three-part kit to lay down a basecoat, color-shift coat and clearcoat. No idea how much area they cover or how well they work though.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

mazzilliu

Postby mazzilliu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

dreams -> shattered :(

i was hoping to get something like that for my car in the future some time.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Invent a form of diagram representing particle paths and paint them all over your van

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Ooh, yeah. Here's an idea! Put a goddamn flowchart on your car. One that stretches all around, and takes up the entire car. Not just one little rectangle. And make it something really useless or funny. Like what your plan is if robot monkeys from Neptune attack.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

MarioKart theme FTW.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Just leave it whatever colour it is now and don't bother to fix the rust. Get a can of spray paint and write "Shaggin' Wagon" down the side. Throw a matress in the back. Add candles.

Bonus points if you remove the passenger seat in the cab and set up a keg & tap. Get some of those red cups.

You'll be the most popular guy on campus! Always ready for a party! :D
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

This thread made me really want to get a VW van and paint it like the Ninja Turtle van.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Flames make it go faster.

hipp5 wrote:This thread made me really want to get a VW van and paint it like the Ninja Turtle van.

I approve. Be sure to add the disc (pizza) launcher.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Return to “General”