Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Socal Swimmer

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Socal Swimmer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Socal Swimmer wrote:
Jessica wrote:The way I see the rant thread, if you don't want people to reply to the issue of the rant, maybe you shouldn't post it on a public forum. You can be as unreasonable in your rant as you want, and you don't have to listen when people call you on it, and give you advice, but it's going to happen. You're ranting about something, and generally people like to try and help others out when they rant.

You do have a point.. I would rant about it but it would be unreasonable and then invite responses, my ignorance of which would lead to the ignoring of me by others.
So, in short, you are right.
:)

If you don't want to hear someone saying something you disagree with to your rant, post it on livejournal and turn the comments off.

Also, congratulations, Commabandit.

There is one situation that causes a problem.. and that is that I agree with what I'm saying, I think its rational and defendable, but I don't want to take the time to defend it.

I also don't have livejournal, and no one would read it anyways.
Yawgmoth wrote:Girls who play "hard to get" are the fucking-devil incarnate.

I Am Raven wrote:"I don't wear underwear and like to swing the goods from left to right!"

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Went to an orchestra concert/fireworks display today. Pretty awesome, no rant about that - in general. However...
People, it's an orchestra. We're listening to classical music, not taking phone calls. The fact that we're outdoors doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly inconsiderate and distracting. I would have taken your phone and thrown it somewhere, but I probably would've hit somebody.
Next, the fireworks: I've been going to this show for years. This is the first time burning embers have fallen into the crowd. This is distressing. If some guy at the fireworks factory is new, don't leave him alone when he's packing powder, okay? Have him man the phones. I don't like being on fire.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:37 am UTC

scowdich wrote:Next, the fireworks: I've been going to this show for years. This is the first time burning embers have fallen into the crowd. This is distressing. If some guy at the fireworks factory is new, don't leave him alone when he's packing powder, okay? Have him man the phones. I don't like being on fire.

Burning embers happen - the show should have been held or cancelled if wind conditions favored anything landing in the crowd, but even unfavorable conditions doesn't mean it's impossible.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Him.

He made me who I am today.

Before I met him, I've realized, I was insecure about my own personality. I wasn't satisfied, I lacked something. Something that would have turned me from the generalized, out-of-the-mold person I was into something completely different. Into my own person.

I listened to music, but it was just ok. I wasn't passionate about it. My sense of dress was awkward and often heavily influenced by what other people wore and did. I didn't like it. I didn't spend enough doing the things that mattered, and wasted it on things that didn't.

He changed me from that.

We met, he started introducing me to a whole new world of music and possibilities. He made me feel like a kid in a candy store with no limit on what I could have. He made me feel beautiful. It didn't matter whether I wore the nicest clothes I owned or a pair of sweats and a tanktop, I'd still be beautiful in his eyes. He introduced me to the simpler pleasures of life, such as staying home on a Friday night despite the big party everyone's been talking about for a month, just to read or watch old movies and re-runs on tv. To not take everything so seriously. To learn how to relax and enjoy life as it passes. Because no matter what, it goes on.

It goes on. This I didn't like. Because whatever goes on, passes, and one day he would pass too. And he did. I miss him so much it hurts, and there isn't a day that I don't think about the things he did for me, and how much I appreciate it all.

I wouldn't do it all again if I were offered the chance, because I know that the pain of everything all over again would destroy me.

Once we were just lying on the couch, listening to music. He promised something I knew was impossible, but I believed in him anyways. I think this was my biggest mistake. I was weak and foolish, I let my emotions take over logical reason, and I still pay for that mistake from over half a year ago.

I think I would have been able to let go earlier had I expected the departure at all, but I was naive and foolish. It could have been better if he hadn't left without a word.

I don't know if I've managed to come to terms with everything yet, but I hope one day I can fully appreciate all that he did for me and be truly thankful.

Fuck. This. Shit.

On the other hand, I want him to feel pain. I want him to feel regret, and guilt, and the most violent of emotions all at once. I want to hurt him. I want him to come back to me, only to have me turn him away.

I need fucking closure goddammit.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

@carbohydrated: When you say "he would pass too" do you mean the traditional slang when talking about someone passing (they died) or do you mean that he left you?

I have completely different reactions depending on which one is the case.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

carbohydrated wrote:Him.

Before I met him, I've realized, I was insecure about my own personality. I wasn't satisfied, I lacked something. Something that would have turned me from the generalized, out-of-the-mold person I was into something completely different. Into my own person.

I listened to music, but it was just ok. I wasn't passionate about it. My sense of dress was awkward and often heavily influenced by what other people wore and did. I didn't like it. I didn't spend enough doing the things that mattered, and wasted it on things that didn't.

He changed me from that.

We met, he started introducing me to a whole new world of music and possibilities. He made me feel like a kid in a candy store with no limit on what I could have. He made me feel beautiful. It didn't matter whether I wore the nicest clothes I owned or a pair of sweats and a tanktop, I'd still be beautiful in his eyes. He introduced me to the simpler pleasures of life, such as staying home on a Friday night despite the big party everyone's been talking about for a month, just to read or watch old movies and re-runs on tv. To not take everything so seriously. To learn how to relax and enjoy life as it passes. Because no matter what, it goes on.

It goes on. This I didn't like. Because whatever goes on, passes, and one day he would pass too. And he did. I miss him so much it hurts, and there isn't a day that I don't think about the things he did for me, and how much I appreciate it all.

I wouldn't do it all again if I were offered the chance, because I know that the pain of everything all over again would destroy me.

Once we were just lying on the couch, listening to music. He promised something I knew was impossible, but I believed in him anyways. I think this was my biggest mistake. I was weak and foolish, I let my emotions take over logical reason, and I still pay for that mistake from over half a year ago.

I think I would have been able to let go earlier had I expected the departure at all, but I was naive and foolish. It could have been better if he hadn't left without a word.

I don't know if I've managed to come to terms with everything yet, but I hope one day I can fully appreciate all that he did for me and be truly thankful.

Fuck. This. Shit.

On the other hand, I want him to feel pain. I want him to feel regret, and guilt, and the most violent of emotions all at once. I want to hurt him. I want him to come back to me, only to have me turn him away.

I need fucking closure goddammit.

I dunno about that. I mean, sure, sounds like you have a right to be pretty pissed.

But this here? That seems pretty extreme. This huge part of your rant here:

He changed me from that.

Seems so much more important than something he did to hurt you (even if that's disappearing from your life). What you described isn't just a change. It's a huge revolution. I'm often saddened by those who are like who you were before him. Oblivious to the choices that lie before them. He didn't just make you who you are today. he made you a better person. Of course, I could be wrong. You didn't really describe your situation in detail.

EDIT:
Jessica wrote:@carbohydrated: When you say "he would pass too" do you mean the traditional slang when talking about someone passing (they died) or do you mean that he left you?

I have completely different reactions depending on which one is the case.

I'm almost certain she was talking about him leaving her.

EDIT 2: Ooh, I just had the coolest thought. What if he travels around the country, finding people like you and changing their lives forever. Then disappearing suddenly. That would make a pretty cool movie...
Last edited by Ramses IV on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

double post, I guess?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote: EDIT 2: Ooh, I just had the coolest thought. What if he travels around the country, finding people like you and changing their lives forever. Then disappearing suddenly. That would make a pretty cool movie...

I disagree. That would be the most heat wrenching movie I could imagine.

Appearing in someone's life and sprinkling some magic and insight a la Mary Poppins sounds kinda cool - but at least she never promised to stay. She was clear that she would leave.

When you let someone that close even the smallest and simplest lies cut to the core and leave scars. He did not promise to change her world and give her a new perspective on life - from what I read he gave indications he would be part of that life. Maybe I am projecting experiences I have had. Being blind-sided is nasty.

Travelling around bring a new awesome prospective to people by deceiving them about how long you are likely to be in their life hurts a lot of people. On the other hand - being someone who tend to feature in people's life as a friend while they go through hard times and is left behind when that person moved on - or moving on as they no longer feel they have a place in the new style life is sad.
"Love is an ugly business my friend - yet we live for it" Se04Ep02 Boston Legal

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

random_kitty wrote:
Ramses IV wrote: EDIT 2: Ooh, I just had the coolest thought. What if he travels around the country, finding people like you and changing their lives forever. Then disappearing suddenly. That would make a pretty cool movie...

I disagree. That would be the most heat wrenching movie I could imagine.

Appearing in someone's life and sprinkling some magic and insight a la Mary Poppins sounds kinda cool - but at least she never promised to stay. She was clear that she would leave.

When you let someone that close even the smallest and simplest lies cut to the core and leave scars. He did not promise to change her world and give her a new perspective on life - from what I read he gave indications he would be part of that life. Maybe I am projecting experiences I have had. Being blind-sided is nasty.

Travelling around bring a new awesome prospective to people by deceiving them about how long you are likely to be in their life hurts a lot of people. On the other hand - being someone who tend to feature in people's life as a friend while they go through hard times and is left behind when that person moved on - or moving on as they no longer feel they have a place in the new style life is sad.

Oh, I must have missed that. He said he was gonna be around the whole time? Damn. I should really read these things really carefully. You know, check it twice or something. That does make it worse, and probably wouldn't be a good movie (but if it had a good director,I think it could be pulled off). And although that is a shitty thing to do, I think the whole "changing your life" thing pretty much makes up for it. But who knows? Maybe he had a good reason.
My Blag

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

My friend, he usually organizes most activities, like drinks or dinner and stuff, I generally couldn't be arsed, because I know he will, evil to be sure but it works. Anyway, so he complains abit so I volunteer to organize an epic day of paint balling funsies. Last week, I told him to keep Saturday free, he complies. After *much* organizing, paintballing, when trying to participate in a bigger group of random strangers for a much better group paintball murderous session, is very complicated and time consuming.

Anyway, after all that and the rentals have been organized he says he's not free on Saturday......

*not impressed*

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Why is it that every time I listen to Light my Fire at work there's always someone who comes asking a stupid question he could have answered himself if he had a brain just during the great keyboard solo ?

I could be listening to any random music quietly for hours, but when I put that song there's always someone to come ask me something.
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Edawan wrote:Why is it that every time I listen to Light my Fire at work there's always someone who comes asking a stupid question he could have answered himself if he had a brain just during the great keyboard solo ?

I could be listening to any random music quietly for hours, but when I put that song there's always someone to come ask me something.

Well, as a matter of fact, that's more likely to happen during that song than others. Since, you know, it's 7 minutes long!
My Blag

ian

Postby ian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:
ian wrote:also, you clearly don't know anything about LOST or watch it if you think they've been on the island for 5 years, so why are you ranting about it?
Well, even if it isn't 5 years, I'm vaguely sure the overweight Caucasian male with dark longish hair would have had what natural selection had coming to him by now

They have a plentiful supply of food and have been on the island for only a few months. Hurley is doing fine.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Department stores that only open one set of change rooms out of the many they have, during the lunchtime rush, during a sale. The queue is halfway across the store; no-one has time for that during lunch. Apparently people with jobs don't get to do shopping unless they give up their weekend for it. I wonder what the other change rooms are for. If they don't staff them at the busiest shopping times, when would they do so?

Also, my bum. It's just shapeless. I can't buy undies; they mostly make it worse. Maybe I'll try switching to g-strings (that's "thongs" for USA peoples).

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 am UTC

He missed the train. Again. Second time in a row. ^%$$#(#**$. I cannot, cannot, cannot comprehend how it is so difficult for some people to be on time.It is not that hard, I even called him and woke him up, *and* it wasn't that early! :evil: Fucked up our plans, which included going to a bunch of cool antique stores that I know. I drove the hour to his place, but I don't know any antique stores there, obviously, so our day was less awesome than it should've been.

ALSO, if I'm talking to you online, you'd better stay around long enough to finish the conversation and say goodnight. Saying a few words and then disappearing for half hours at a time is absolutely not acceptable. God dammit.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:ALSO, if I'm talking to you online, you'd better stay around long enough to finish the conversation and say goodnight. Saying a few words and then disappearing for half hours at a time is absolutely not acceptable. God dammit.

Half hour? lofl.

I routinely have people lag out because they went on a date or something like that.

I once had someone lag out because they went on a two week vacation.

Typically, this happens for one reason. I, like I assume, many other people, will get up from the computer and do things between messages. Sometimes, you get distracted while you're AFK - talking to someone, cooking food, fixing something. Other times, you look at a clock and go "OH SHIT I HAVE SOMEWHERE TO GO" and go.

I personally always make time to at least get back to my computer and type "bbl <cause of dissapearance>" or something when I need to long-term dissapear, but that's only really because the people I talk to most online are part of my personal safety-net - the people who know where I am supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing, and when I'm supposed to be back so that, should I not reappear, they can direct the authorities in a good approximation of the right direction.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 am UTC

I am damn sick of people so often commenting on the words I use and the way I speak/write. It doesn't make it better if they follow up with ".. but I don't mind" or "I think it is cute".

Someone even counted the number of times he heard me use words that were long or academic-like while on a date :evil:

The way I speak is nothing more or less than the way I speak - I am not trying to sound smart or clever, I am not trying to make other people feel silly or stupid, I don't even notice the specific words I use.

Sometimes it seems I (as an individual person) gets lost in the perception the words I use create.

@trophy wrote:"Confidence" is just waiting to experience negative outcomes in real life instead of rehearsing them in your head beforehand.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

Well, I could see exactly why that would piss you off, but I really don't notice anything about the way you're writing that's overtly cute. But then again, I get told I write like a surly old jackass, and I don't notice it.

As for long or "academic" words? That's the price we pay for having a school system that teaches kids to just get by with bare minimums.

Oh shit, I'm about to rant. Not at work, Boman, not at work.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

random_kitty wrote:I am damn sick of people so often commenting on the words I use and the way I speak/write. It doesn't make it better if they follow up with ".. but I don't mind" or "I think it is cute".

Someone even counted the number of times he heard me use words that were long or academic-like while on a date :evil:

The way I speak is nothing more or less than the way I speak - I am not trying to sound smart or clever, I am not trying to make other people feel silly or stupid, I don't even notice the specific words I use.

Sometimes it seems I (as an individual person) gets lost in the perception the words I use create.

Ha! I have the same problem. Except instead of "cute" or people not minding, it's more often labeled "weird" "strange" "funny" or "too smart". I fear the day when you can be "too smart" in this country.

BomanTheBear wrote:Oh shit, I'm about to rant. Not at work, Boman, not at work.

But this is the Rant Thread. Surely they would understand?

Now, my own quasi-rant. Most of my vocabulary comes from books or DnD. I read and play massively. And as a result of this, I have a relatively eloquent type of speech (see above). The problem comes when there's a particularly obscure or long word that I read. Then, when I go and say it in real life (not to show off, it's just been absorbed into my vocabulary) I eventually learn that I'm saying it wrong. Usually from another erudite friend or my parents. I mean, I know the word, I know how to spell it and its definition. But I just can't say it right.
My Blag

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Ha! I have the same problem. Except instead of "cute" or people not minding, it's more often labeled "weird" "strange" "funny" or "too smart". I fear the day when you can be "too smart" in this country.

BomanTheBear wrote:Oh shit, I'm about to rant. Not at work, Boman, not at work.

But this is the Rant Thread. Surely they would understand?

Now, my own quasi-rant. Most of my vocabulary comes from books or DnD. I read and play massively. And as a result of this, I have a relatively eloquent type of speech (see above). The problem comes when there's a particularly obscure or long word that I read. Then, when I go and say it in real life (not to show off, it's just been absorbed into my vocabulary) I eventually learn that I'm saying it wrong. Usually from another erudite friend or my parents. I mean, I know the word, I know how to spell it and its definition. But I just can't say it right.

Oh - I get negative comments as well - but those don't bother me nearly as much as the "I like in despite ..."-like compliments.

Yay - I do this too. Sometimes this happens with character and place names in books as well. For the sake of reading the actual name is often irrelevant - it just identifies a specifies person. Talking about the story to other people later takes a while for me to match up the names I used to the way others say the name.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

random_kitty wrote:I am damn sick of people so often commenting on the words I use and the way I speak/write. It doesn't make it better if they follow up with ".. but I don't mind" or "I think it is cute".

That's me to the point where I think I subconsiously crippled my vocabulary around age 16 or so. Because I was sick of midway through saying something, having the other person stop me because they didn't understand a couple of words I said. Like transient. Granted, that was when I was 10 or something, but c'mon.. read a damn book and learn what words mean, or at least learn to figure out what a word probably means based on it's context!

Ramses wrote:Now, my own quasi-rant. Most of my vocabulary comes from books or DnD. I read and play massively. And as a result of this, I have a relatively eloquent type of speech (see above). The problem comes when there's a particularly obscure or long word that I read. Then, when I go and say it in real life (not to show off, it's just been absorbed into my vocabulary) I eventually learn that I'm saying it wrong. Usually from another erudite friend or my parents. I mean, I know the word, I know how to spell it and its definition. But I just can't say it right.

Yeah... about that. Two or three months ago I was finally informed that the word Lichen is pronounced "LIKE-en" not "LICH-EN" as I had been saying. By my mother.

I'm 28.

At least now all those documentaries on the Tundra I've seen make a lot more sense.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

That's me to the point where I think I subconsiously crippled my vocabulary around age 16 or so. Because I was sick of midway through saying something, having the other person stop me because they didn't understand a couple of words I said. Like transient. Granted, that was when I was 10 or something, but c'mon.. read a damn book and learn what words mean, or at least learn to figure out what a word probably means based on it's context!

Oh shit. I did this myself. When I changed schools midway through year six (about 11) when my parents split up, I was moved from a heavily science and math oriented school to a more English language based school. As such, they were teaching me things in science and maths that I had learned a year or two previously. I knew science-y words and such that my teacher had to look up. Not good. As such I became apathetic towards the educational system, and chilled out a bit.

This is one of the few things I can blame on my parents splitting up. I don't blame them for splitting up with one another. They had genuinely had enough, and I respect that. But moving schools and getting moved to a seriously dulled down school had a genuinely bad effect on my learning. If they had waited, like, 6 months before splitting up, I would be a significantly different person. I think. I'd mostly likely be less casual and approachable, and a lot more socially dumb. However impossible that may be.

I used to be very good at English too, and some time around puberty starting (about 12 or 13 I think) I picked up a bit of a stutter. I found it difficult to pronounce lots of fancy words, so I essentially chopped them out of my vocabulary so that I could talk more or less correctly. I started saying "correctly", for example, when I stopped being able to use the word, "properly". My stutter's more or less gone now. If I think about what I'm going to say before I say it, I can generally avoid it. If I'm just relaxing and talking with friends, it tends to come out more, much to their amusement.

:D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

But does it come out when you're telling a story?

SecondTalon - giving you Sandman references when you least expect it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Uh... huh...

*Backs away slowly*

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But does it come out when you're telling a story?

SecondTalon - giving you Sandman references when you least expect it.

I got it! I got it!!

I had a similar thing recently with my dad, where he said something and I responded with "Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?" With my group of friends that would have been considered witty and got a laugh but my dad told me not to say stuff like that, then asked what an Oxymoron is - he's the one fucking person in my family I'd expect to know that. Christ I was wish he'd get over his pathetic mid-life crisis.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:...

Uh... huh...

*Backs away slowly*

Short version. Able (of the Cain + He duo) stutters. Except when he's telling a story.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I thought that's what you were alluding to. Oddly enough, when I'm saying something planned, I stutter. When I'm on the fly, I'm one eloquent mothfucker (that's for you, gamer).

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

A brief list of the psycho things my mother has done follows. This list makes no effort to be comprehensive, but it will attempt to encompass the many different types of psycho acts she has committed.

1. She has charged us money for forgetting to do our chores--but never consistently. This has happened about five times to me over the course of my life, for none of the same offenses, for varying levels of offenses. It was utterly random.

2. Picture the scene: I am outside. My mother is in the living room, watching television. She calls me inside--she has to yell. I run in. What does she want? She wants me to get her coffee out of the microwave and add cream to it. This happens constantly to all of my siblings.

3. She bought the wrong kind of vaccuum bags for our vaccuum and delegated to my little brother the task of fitting them in. When he told her that she had the wrong ones, she said, verbatim, "Well, you'll just have to make it work. I'm not going to go out and spend more money on goddamn vaccuum bags."

4. Very recently, the big cushy rocking chair in our living room broke. When you sit down it makes a loud cracking noise, and you tilt back until you almost fall. The fabric is also seriously ripped and has been for some time. I told my mom she should buy a new one, and she said to me "I look forward to when you're grown up and living on your own, because maybe then you'll realize that you can't just buy new stuff every time something gets old or boring to you." Last week, she had bought herself a new motorized scooter (or whatever those are) for $300.

5. She has told me frequently that she looks very much forward to me moving out of the house. It's what she says when I do something wrong--"This is why I'm glad..."

6. The catch on our dryer broke. She couldn't fix it and didn't know anyone who could, but she refused to buy a new one because it was "such a tiny little part." As a result, we (the four children) spent two years duct taping the damn thing shut every time we had to run load of laundry, and of course it never stayed duct taped shut for an entire load.

7. Beaten my older sister with a spatula until it broke. Hit me in the head with a hairbrush when she was brushing my hair and I wasn't holding still. This happened frequently, until I finally learned how to brush my own to her satisfaction, at about the age of ten. Throw my older sister to the ground by her hair, pick her up, and throw her down again, repeat, repeat. My sister got the bulk of the physical aggression, no doubt about it, until she ran away in any case.

8. When I lost my paycheck, told me I wasn't allowed to eat until I found it--"I don't care if it takes five days; you're not eating anything!"

9. Went out to a bar and brought a strange man home to stay the night. This has happened a few times, and it wasn't so bad (although we learned to get dressed before we left our rooms 'cause they would often be sitting on the couch in the morning) except for the time my older sister, about 15 at the time, was having a slumber party and they were going up in their underwear/pajamas to get a late night snack, only to discover a weird 45y/o guy in the hall. We got some angry phone calls from parents on that one.

10. When asked how much of my college she was willing to pay for (you can guess what amount is coming by now), she told me that my dad's account for our college was partly her money, and that her father would also be contributing, and since he was her father, that was basically her contribution too. No, really, that's what she told me.

Okay, I'll stop.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Wow. I think I actually hate your mother. Which is pretty good going for someone I have never met. I may be reacting because of my deep distaste for people who use physical violence against those smaller and less able to fight back, but yeah...

You must be looking forward to moving out, surely?
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

random_kitty

Postby random_kitty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:stuff

*hugs*

Life can be challenging when the people that are supposed to protect you and teach you then most about the world are the first to hurt/confuse/deceive you or put you at risk.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

@Quixotess

I hope to Physics you get to leave soon. That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Hell, if it were me, I'd have fought back by now. As an overly aggressive person (which I can easily become), being in those kind of situations would piss me off to the extent that I wouldn't be able to take responsibility for my own actions.

I can only ask that you leave that place and never look back. It cannot be good for you there.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:Wow. I think I actually hate your mother. Which is pretty good going for someone I have never met. I may be reacting because of my deep distaste for people who use physical violence against those smaller and less able to fight back, but yeah...

Yes. I am very excited. You have no idea. Okay, you do.

Yeah, the physical violence was pretty bad for a while, especially on us older two, but it stopped abruptly when my sister ran away. Guess that startled her.

...It makes pretty good stories at parties, though, the less serious ones.

Term starts in September.

ETA: Also, us four kids are probably the closest siblings that I know.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

This sounds awfully familiar. Not in details, but in the general sense of 'oh my bob i have to get out of this house or i will fucking go on a killing spree i shit you not' kind of way. I may be framing it somewhat overactively, ahem.

But yeah, your first term living away from home, oh man it's gonna be so good. In your time away from home, you will likely deal with useless flatmates, finding yourself in clusterfuck financial situations due to other people's ineptitude*, all kinds of personal clashes and stress and whatnot, but, on reflection, I still wouldn't swap any of my past two years away from home, for home.

Yes, in conclusion, I am pleased for you! (Even though the present situation blows dead bears, sorry.)

*new word? Ineptidude - definition pretty much what it says on the tin
Last edited by Blokey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Spoiler:
A brief list of the psycho things my mother has done follows. This list makes no effort to be comprehensive, but it will attempt to encompass the many different types of psycho acts she has committed.

1. She has charged us money for forgetting to do our chores--but never consistently. This has happened about five times to me over the course of my life, for none of the same offenses, for varying levels of offenses. It was utterly random.

2. Picture the scene: I am outside. My mother is in the living room, watching television. She calls me inside--she has to yell. I run in. What does she want? She wants me to get her coffee out of the microwave and add cream to it. This happens constantly to all of my siblings.

3. She bought the wrong kind of vaccuum bags for our vaccuum and delegated to my little brother the task of fitting them in. When he told her that she had the wrong ones, she said, verbatim, "Well, you'll just have to make it work. I'm not going to go out and spend more money on goddamn vaccuum bags."

4. Very recently, the big cushy rocking chair in our living room broke. When you sit down it makes a loud cracking noise, and you tilt back until you almost fall. The fabric is also seriously ripped and has been for some time. I told my mom she should buy a new one, and she said to me "I look forward to when you're grown up and living on your own, because maybe then you'll realize that you can't just buy new stuff every time something gets old or boring to you." Last week, she had bought herself a new motorized scooter (or whatever those are) for $300.

5. She has told me frequently that she looks very much forward to me moving out of the house. It's what she says when I do something wrong--"This is why I'm glad..."

6. The catch on our dryer broke. She couldn't fix it and didn't know anyone who could, but she refused to buy a new one because it was "such a tiny little part." As a result, we (the four children) spent two years duct taping the damn thing shut every time we had to run load of laundry, and of course it never stayed duct taped shut for an entire load.

7. Beaten my older sister with a spatula until it broke. Hit me in the head with a hairbrush when she was brushing my hair and I wasn't holding still. This happened frequently, until I finally learned how to brush my own to her satisfaction, at about the age of ten. Throw my older sister to the ground by her hair, pick her up, and throw her down again, repeat, repeat. My sister got the bulk of the physical aggression, no doubt about it, until she ran away in any case.

8. When I lost my paycheck, told me I wasn't allowed to eat until I found it--"I don't care if it takes five days; you're not eating anything!"

9. Went out to a bar and brought a strange man home to stay the night. This has happened a few times, and it wasn't so bad (although we learned to get dressed before we left our rooms 'cause they would often be sitting on the couch in the morning) except for the time my older sister, about 15 at the time, was having a slumber party and they were going up in their underwear/pajamas to get a late night snack, only to discover a weird 45y/o guy in the hall. We got some angry phone calls from parents on that one.

10. When asked how much of my college she was willing to pay for (you can guess what amount is coming by now), she told me that my dad's account for our college was partly her money, and that her father would also be contributing, and since he was her father, that was basically her contribution too. No, really, that's what she told me.

Okay, I'll stop.

Shit. I second Mercurius's post. In fact, I doubt I'd be able to stand it. Like sleepygamer, I'd have gone violent or I'd have left by now. Being homeless and/or running away is actually a lot easier than you'd think, if you plan it right.

EDIT: But I'm sure there's better alternatives than that. Like, mebbe, the authorities.
My Blag

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

You indeed won the bad mother lottery. Ive started to grow (what i know understand to be, after reading that) disgruntled with my controlling mother.

But hey, welcome to university. People are nicer here (generally) and there tends to be more third story paddling pools.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

3fj wrote:You indeed won the bad mother lottery. Ive started to grow (what i know understand to be, after reading that) disgruntled with my controlling mother.

Woohoo! I won!

Yeah, in case anyone is too worried about me, note that I have come to view all of these incidents except 5, 7, and 9 with some degree of humor. Really, the siblings help.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am UTC

I'm not sure if it's up to any of us to judge Quixotess' mother on the basis of ten sentences. Apart from the abhorrent, aberrant 10% physical violence portion, there is nothing there that classifies as psychotic behaviour.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Mercurius wrote:Wow. I think I actually hate your mother. Which is pretty good going for someone I have never met. I may be reacting because of my deep distaste for people who use physical violence against those smaller and less able to fight back, but yeah...

Yes. I am very excited. You have no idea. Okay, you do.

Yeah, the physical violence was pretty bad for a while, especially on us older two, but it stopped abruptly when my sister ran away. Guess that startled her.

...It makes pretty good stories at parties, though, the less serious ones.

Term starts in September.

ETA: Also, us four kids are probably the closest siblings that I know.

Well, September is not too far away at least. But urgh, yeah. Like more than a couple of people here have said, my temper might have gotten the better of me with a mother like that, which wouldn't end well for anyone.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm not sure if it's up to any of us to judge Quixotess' mother on the basis of ten sentences. Apart from the abhorrent, aberrant 10% physical violence portion, there is nothing there that classifies as psychotic behaviour.

True. But psychotic is not normally my milestick for whether I consider someone a nasty piece of work. And I'm working off the general assumption these are not exceptions to her usual behaviour, but the rule.

Besides, I doubt I'll ever meet Quixotess' mother, so my judgement one way or another means little.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Apologies to Quixotess, but a quick run-down of each point may suggest that a flawed parent is not necessarily a detestable monster.

• 1. Charging for chores - this is strict discipline and merely fiduciary punishment. Way to avoid the 'random' charge? Do the chores.
  • 2. Making your child run menial tasks - this may be considered laziness, but possibly more (I suspect) down to enforcing authority upon your children
  • 3. Wrong vacuum bags - lack of admittance in the face of clear mistakery could suggest unwillingness to show 'weakness' in front of children; like above, authority is valued higher than sorrow.
  • 4. Not replacing essentials, but squandering money on luxuries - Um, it's her money? Preaching pennywise behaviour but not practising it may be hypocritical, but her advice is sound. Ask anyone who has to work for cash to afford to live; frivolities are rare unless you're raking it in. My sofa was shred to fuckery, but I couldn't go out and afford to replace it. Yet I did buy an iPod.
  • 5. Verbal punishment for misbehaviour ('I can't wait until you leave') - this is very cold. But what exactly did you 'do wrong' to receive this riposte? And why do you do wrong on such a frequent basis? Perhaps by not being in the wrong so frequently, you would not be subject to such damaging words.
  • 6. Catcher on the dryer broke, resulting in constant temporary repairs - a minor annoyance/inconvenience that I doubt can be construed as anything but a humorous anecdote for later years.
  • 7. Physical violence - this is reprehensible
  • 8. Lost paycheck - You lost your paycheck. She's makes an example of your idiocy (perhaps taking it to extreme measures). Bet you'll never lose your paycheck again, eh? Quite a valuable lesson learned.
  • 9. Bringing men home, scaring your slumber party - it's her house, am I right?
  • 10. 'I'm not $contributing to your education' - this may be considered mean. Do you have a right to that money? Your father & grandfather are contributing, which is two more people than I had contributing. I just worked for a year so I could pay my own fees, however our education systems may differ somewhat.

So anyway, an imperfect parent, but not one everyone can suddenly show hatred for based on ten vague sentences. (Barring one of them of course, and that's only if you regard corporal punishment as bad)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “General”