Geohashing

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Geohashing

Postby rancidtuna » Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

what about selling little "XKCD was here" signs to stick in the ground, or stickers to put on things to stick on/in the ground?
rancidtuna

Re: Geohashing

Postby wildeagle76 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I think that's an AWESOME idea. I'm so enthused, I think I'll make my own little signs out of scrap wood and spray paint... and since I can't always make it to the meetups at 4 PM, I'll just leave my little sign there, and everyone in sacramento will know I was there.

also, this was interesting: I place i found just north of my areas first meet up site.

The whole thing doesn't come through on this message board, so just right click and "view image" to get the whole thing.
wildeagle76

Postby patker » Mon May 26, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Hey, don't we already know the opening for the Dow on Tuesday (making it available to hash it out), or is it perceptibly different from Friday's closing? This might be helpful in increasing plan-making time and/or shoring up raptor defense in vulnerable areas (eg. everywhere).
patker

Postby phlip » Mon May 26, 2008 3:17 am UTC

patker wrote:Hey, don't we already know the opening for the Dow on Tuesday (making it available to hash it out), or is it perceptibly different from Friday's closing? This might be helpful in increasing plan-making time and/or shoring up raptor defense in vulnerable areas (eg. everywhere).

The DOW does indeed change between closing on one day and opening on the next. As for "perceptibly"... any change in the DOW will make the hash completely different... that's kinda the point.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby forkover » Mon May 26, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

per the signs, this is what we did in Lansing, MI:
subtle, non invasive, and really fun to know it's out there on a tree in the woods somewhere.
forkover

Postby Sungura » Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

ROFTL that's great. I looked for the location on Saturday, but it was too far, up past Lapeer, MI. I must be in the area to the right of you, I think if I click over one left I get the Lansing area meetup.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." ~ Einstein
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Pesto » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I geohashed (?) for the first time today. No one else was there, but all in all it wasn't a total waste. I did learn that next time I need to bring bug spray.

Who here does it regularly? What is some more suggested equipment?
Pesto

Postby rancidtuna » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

The first time I did it, I ended up driving my Camaro down a dirt path, kicking up all sorts of rocks and nasty stuff. I never did find it, because I didn't have a GPS or anything even near adequate to take with me, but I DID see a bunch of other cool stuff including an EXCELLENT picture opportunity with the sun setting over a lake with the flag in the foreground. :)

EDIT: What I *did* bring was a scrap of paper saying "ten roads down, it's in the bushes on the right kinda deep". The only problem was, that this was so backwoods, that it was difficult to tell what actually counted as a road. :P So a GPS is recommended. OR you can bring your laptop if you save the GoogleEarth image. :)
rancidtuna

Postby deanfantastic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:05 am UTC

I know it's late posting, but I looked into this thinking it would be a great idea. Tragically I live near the western coast of a state (Frementle, Western Australia) right on the eastern edge of a graticule the extends west into the Indian Ocean.

I'm a poor swimmer so I might give it a miss.

Cheers

DF
deanfantastic

Postby pyrorower » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

deanfantastic wrote:I know it's late posting, but I looked into this thinking it would be a great idea. Tragically I live near the western coast of a state (Frementle, Western Australia) right on the eastern edge of a graticule the extends west into the Indian Ocean.

I'm a poor swimmer so I might give it a miss.

Cheers

DF

Similar thing happened to me. I live in south Florida several miles south of Key Biscayne, and when I ran the geohash I got a location several miles offshore from the southern tip of Florida. Would probably be a 3 or so hour drive, followed by a good bit of boating. Going to have to try another day :P
pyrorower

Postby devonshire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 am UTC

Last day I posted the comic and there was also a flurry of geohashing activity, which quieted down as the initial novelty wore off. But it didn’t die, and for the past many years there’s also been a small but vibrant community building around the Geohashing Wiki. There are numerous regular expeditions, and they’ve also taken some beautiful pictures and come up with a lot of neat tools, games and achievements.
devonshire

Postby macronencer » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I don't have much time for geohashing these days but I used to go a lot, and I still enjoy it when I can.

I also wrote a SONG about it! Here's a video - hope you all like it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ih4V5uR1Mk

It's OK, you can click. This is not a Rickroll :roll:
I think those are crocodile tears: you must be in de Nile.
macronencer

Postby Mat » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Awesome video :) Now I want to attempt a geohash again...
Mat

Return to XKCD Meetups